HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Jackson County Markers
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Creosote Works
The West Pascagoula Creosote Works, at this site, was the first continuously operated creosote treatment plant in the nation. Established in 1874 to protect railroad bridge timbers against rot and the toredo worm, the plant was open until 1978. Thousands of the treated pilings were used in building the Panama Canal. — Map (db m16726) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Fernando Gautier and Sons Sawmill
This sawmill operated on this site from 1867 till 1906, employing more than twenty local citizens and producing more than 30,000 board feet of lumber per day at its peak. The sawmill was well situated with easy access to the river, railroad, plentiful forests, and a nearby creosote plant. In 1906, after a hurricane severely damaged the plant and devastated the area's timber supply, Gautier closed the sawmill. Due to the contribution of the sawmill this area was named for Fernando Gautier in the 1890's. — Map (db m16754) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Gautier School
Built in 1940, the Gautier School replaced the Lyon School, built in 1918 and located 3 miles west at Hilda. The Lyon School consolidated other schools in the area, including the "Little Red Schoolhouse," built in 1890 by Walter Gautier. The "Little Red Schoolhouse" was located about 500 yards south of this site. — Map (db m20045) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Historic Gautier Cemetery
Originally a burial site for the Gautier family, this cemetery contains the graves of Fernando Gautier and Henry Gautier (builder of Twelve Oaks). Members of the Clifford, Fayard, Fuller, LeBatard, Pelham, Peterson, Quinn, Saucier, Vaughan, and Ziegler families were later buried here. The earliest grave is dated 1874. — Map (db m43651) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — New Era Missionary Baptist Church
Organized ca. 1886, this African American church is the oldest continuous congregation in Gautier. Twice destroyed by fire, the church was rebuilt at its present site in 1893. The New Era Missionary Baptist Church choir sang at the 1936 inauguration of Governor Hugh L. White in Jackson. — Map (db m16518) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — The Old Place
Built c. 1867, by Fernando Upton Gautier and his wife, Theresa Fayard Gautier. The Gautiers moved to this area from Biloxi and established the F. Gautier and Sons Sawmill in 1866. The house is built from native pine cut at the sawmill, which closed in 1906. The community adopted the name Gautier about 1910. — Map (db m16756) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Gautier — Twelve Oaks
Built ca. 1896 by Henry Gautier (1848-1921) for his second wife, Laura Canty. Henry Gautier was the eldest son of Fernando Gautier. The house is located in the Helen Moro Spanish land grant claim and was build on the site of the McRae Hotel, a pre-Civil Ware vacation resort for coastal area residents. — Map (db m43650) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Lucedale — Salem Methodist Campground
Begun in 1826, the Salem Methodist Campground moved to this site in 1842. Meeting in October of each year, except 1863 & 1864, it is the oldest regularly held Methodist camp meeting in Mississippi. — Map (db m25821) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Ocean Springs — Mary C. O'Keefe Cultural Center
Built in 1927 as the Ocean Springs Public School. Designed by William Nolan, the building includes panels painted by artist Walter Anderson. In 1998, the building was renamed for Mary C. O'Keefe (1893-1980), first female school superintendent in Mississippi (1929-1945). — Map (db m25820) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Ocean Springs — Ocean Springs World War I Memorial
In memory of the service and sacrifice of this community during the World War and Emile Ladnier killed in action November Seventh Nineteen Hundred Eighteen. — Map (db m25827) HM
Mississippi (Jackson County), Pascagoula — Pascagoula Fire Fighters
On this site on April 17, 1952, Pascagoula's newest and most modern fire truck, on its way to an emergency call collided with and was destroyed by a train called "The Hummingbird". Assistant Chief Klein Thornton, Firefighter DeWitt Monroe, and Volunteer Joe Williams were killed. Chief Jimmie Hudson was critically injured. — Map (db m16546) HM
11 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 121 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.