HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Jasper County Markers
South Carolina (Jasper County), Coosawhatchie — Battle of Coosawhatchie
Coosawhatchie Jasper County, South Carolina Commanders: Colonels William Moultrie, John Laurens; Gen. Augustine Prevost Casualties: 3 Americans killed, 8 wounded "Despite the defeat at Port Royal Island, General Prevost was determined to make a second attempt to capture Charleston. Instead of a small detachment of 150 men, this time he crossed the Savannah River with 2,400 British regulars, and once again, William Moultrie was outnumbered 2 to 1. He determined to make a stand . . . — Map (db m16800) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Coosawhatchie — 27 18 — Coosawhatchie
(Front Side): Coosawhatchie,dating to the 1740s, was named for the Coosaw Tribe. At first it was little more than a store and inn built on the King's Highway by Henry De Saussure, a Huguenot settler from Purrysburg. By the 1760s, it was a regional trading post and crossroads. During the Revolution British troops burned most of the buildings and the nearby bridge in a 1779 raid. (Back Side): Coosawatchie served as the capital of Beaufort District from 1789 to 1836, when a new . . . — Map (db m4293) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Early Branch — 27-14 — Pine Level Baptist Church
(Text front) This church, organized on January 6, 1872 with Rev. M.H. Shuman as its first minister, held services in members' homes until a sanctuary, built in 1906 was built on this site between 1876 and 1881. A second sanctuary, built in 1906, served the congregation until a new sanctuary was built .4 mi. N. in 1995. Revs. J.J. Nix 1900-1929) and Frank Fisher 1945-1966) were the longest-serving ministers here. (Text reverse) Charter members of Pine Level Baptist . . . — Map (db m26371) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Gillisonville — 27-6 — Gillisonville
Shown on the 1820 Beaufort District map by Vignoles and Ravenel, Gillisonville had a free school by 1831, and a post office in 1840. The seat of Beaufort District from 1840 to 1860, Gillisonville was burned by General William T. Sherman's army on it's march through South Carolina in early 1865. — Map (db m4674) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Gillisonville — 27-23 — Gillisonville Baptist Church
(Obverse): The Euhaw congregation constituted this ecclesiastical group 24 March 1832, naming it Coosawhatchie Baptist Church. The South Carolina Baptist Convention met at the church in December 1845 and unanimously voted to join the recently formed Southern Baptist Convention. In February 1865, General William Tecumseh Sherman's troops visited the church and etched "War of 18621 &62 & 63 & 64 Feb. (Reverse): 7th 1865 this is done by a Yankee Soldier," on the communion . . . — Map (db m4673) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grahamville — 27-2 — Battle of Honey Hill
(Front Text): During this battle of Nov. 30, 1864, Confederate commander Charles J. Colock, by ordering that a nearby field of grass be set ablaze, delayed approaching Federal troops and gave the Confederates time to collect additional forces. When the Confederate position could not be taken, Union troops retreated. The site is located about 1 mile from here. ( Reverse text ): On Nov. 30, 1864 Union troops under Brig. John P. Hatch were marching to Grahamville to cut . . . — Map (db m15780) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grahamville — 27-12 — Euhaw Baptist Church
[Marker Front]: Established on Edisto Island about 1686 by Scotch dissenters, this is the second oldest Baptist organization in the South. For many years a branch of First Baptist Church in Charleston, Euhaw declared itself a seperate church in 1745 after relocating to this vicinity from Edisto Island. A sanctuary was built 6 mi. NE [Marker Reverse]: in 1751; it burned in 1857. The first sanctuary on this site was built in 1860. It burned in 1904 and was . . . — Map (db m8674) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grahamville — Old House Plantation
Settled ca. 1740 by Daniel Heyward who built Tidal Mill, Textile Factory and export-import business on these grounds before his death in 1777. Original 500 acres King's Grant grew to 16,000 acres, all destroyed by fire ca. 1865 — Map (db m6414) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grahamville — 27-7 — Tomb of Thomas Heyward, Jr. 1746-1809
Member of South Carolina Provincial Congress and Council of Safety and of Continental Congress. Signer of Declaration of Independence and Articles of Confederation and captain of militia at Battle of Port Royal and Siege of Charleston. Prisoner of war 1780-81. Circuit Court Judge 1778-89. — Map (db m6415) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grays — 27-25 — Grays Consolidated High School
( Front text ) This school, built in 1927 and rebuilt in 1931, was one of many constructed in the late 1920s, as small rural one- or two-room schools were consolidated into elementary or high schools in towns and cities. Built on land donated by Robert L. Robinson, it included grades 1-11 until grade 12 was added in 1948-49. ( Reverse text ) This school, designed by Columbia architect James Hagood Sams (1872- 1935), was burned by an arsonist in 1929. It was . . . — Map (db m26370) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Grays — 27-21 — Oak Grove Baptist Church
(Front text) This church was organized in 1870 by Revs. John D. Nix, W.H. Shuman, and Jonas Trowell. F.J. Bryan and A.W. Crosby were its first deacons; Rev. Trowell became its first minister. This sanctuary, dedicated in 1871, was built on land later donated by John D. Rivers. The congregation, which grew to as many as 66 members by 1913, held services the second Sunday of each month. (Reverse text) Oak Grove, long affiliated with the Savannah River Baptist Association, saw its . . . — Map (db m26166) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Hardeeville — 27 9 — Narrow Gauge Locomotive No. 7
This woodburning steam locomotive with balloon smoke stack, was built by the H. K. Porter Company about 1910. It was used by Argent Lumber Company, a leading area employer established in 1916, to haul timber from forest to mill. In 1960 the locomotive was donated to the Town of Hardeeville for public display as a logging and lumbering relic of this area. — Map (db m4292) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Hardeeville — 27-3 — Purrysburg Township
(Front text ): In 1730, the British Crown instructed S.C. Governor Robert Johnson to lay out eleven townships to populate and protect the interior of the province. Purrysburg Township, laid out in 1731, stimulated the settlement of this area; but the growth of Savannah caused the town of Perrysburg to be unsuccessful. ( Reverse text ): By 1732, Swiss Protestants led by entrepreneur Jean Pierre Purry had begun to arrive here, and by August of the next year 260 Swiss . . . — Map (db m6353) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), near Pocotaligo — 27-19 — The Frampton Lines John Edward Frampton House
(Obverse): Remnants of a large earthwork originally more tha 100 yards long are still visible south,west and northwest of the Frampton House. This battery,constructed in 1861~62 by Confederate troops in the Department of S.C. and Ga., was part of an extensive system of lines intended to defend the Charleston & Savannah Railroad, a vital route through the Lowcountry. (Reverse): This was the site of "The Hill" Plantation, owned by John Edward Frampton (1810-1896), cotton planter, . . . — Map (db m26368) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Old House — Thomas Heyward Jr.
[ Emblem The Signers Of The Declaration Of Independence, Inc ] ( We Mutually Pledge To Each Other Our Lives Our Fortunes and Our Sacred Honor) Thomas Heyward Jr. Signer Of The Declaration Of Independence Placed By Descendants Of The Signers Of The Declaration Of Independence, Inc. ( Monument text ) " 1746 1809 In Memory Of Thomas Heyward Jr Patriot-Statesman- Soldier-Jurist- Member of the Continental Congress 1775 . . . — Map (db m17057) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Pocotaligo — 27-22 — The Battle of Pocotaligo
(Front Side): The Battle of Pocotaligo, the largest action of a three-day expedition intended to disrupt the Charleston & Savannah Railroad, took place nearby on October 22, 1862. With 2000 Confederates under Col. W.S. Walker defending the area between Charleston and Savannah, 4500 Federals under Brig. Gens. J.M. Brannon and A.M. Terry landed at Mackays Point, seven miles south. (Back Side): The Confederates with only 475 men in the immediate vicinity when the day began, . . . — Map (db m4776) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — 27-4 — Church of the Holy Trinity
((Text front)) This Episcopal church was a chapel of ease in the Parish of St. Luke for a number of years before it became a separate congregation in 1835. It is said that William Heyward gave the church land on which the present building, donated by James Bolan and completed in 1858, is built. ((Text reverse)) This Episcopal church, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is an outstanding example of Carpenter Gothic church architecture. The wheel window, board and . . . — Map (db m6182) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — Gopher Tortoise Square
Prior to the 1890's, the town of Ridgeland was known as Gopher Hill, getting that name from the abundance of Gopher Tortoises that inhabited the sand hills of the area.Gopherus Polyphemus, commonly called the Gopher Tortoise, are long lived herbivores, typically living 40 to 60 years. They spend much of that life in the deep burrows that they dig. While they still can be found in the rural areas of Jasper County, they are no longer abundant and are now a protected endangered species. — Map (db m16854) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — 27-16 — Grahamville
[front] This summer village, established by the rice planters of St. Luke's Parish, was a thriving settlement in what was the Beaufort District until the creation of Jasper County in 1912. Named for Capt. John Graham (1784-1833), its prominent residents included members of the Bull, Fripp, Glover, Hassell, Hazzard, Heyward, Jenkins, Screven, and Seabrook families, among others. [back] The village boasted several stores, three churches, a post office, a tavern, and the . . . — Map (db m6210) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — 28-10 — Jasper County / Jasper County Courthouse
( Front Text) Jasper County This county was established in 1912 from portions of Beaufort and Hampton counties and is named, it is said, for Sergeant William Jasper, hero of the American Revolution. The same act establishing the new county also designated Ridgeland (incorporated 1894) as the county seat. Charles E. Perry, John M. Langford. J.H. Woods, J.P. Wise and Rodger Pinckney were first county commissioners. (Reverse Text) Jasper County Courthouse Land for . . . — Map (db m26372) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — 27-24 — Ridgeland
[Marker front]: Ridgeland, named for its location on the ridge between Charleston and Savannah, has been the seat of Jasper County since the county was created in 1912. It was first named Gopher Hill and grew up around a depot built on the Charleston & Savannah RR in 1860. The tracks were the boundry between Beaufort and Hampton counties, and Ridgeland belonged to two counties until 1912. [Marker reverse]: Chartered and incorporated in 1894, Ridgeland had a population of . . . — Map (db m8473) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — 27-17 — Ridgeland Baptist Church
( Front text ) This church was organized February 28,1892, by Revs. W.H.Dowling and J.T. Morrison with nine charter members. It was admitted to the Savannah River Baptist Association with Rev.Dowling as its first minister. The congregation held services in the Masonic hall until 1894, when it built its first sanctuary, a frame building, on Main St. in Ridgeland. ( Reverse text ) Ridgeland Baptist Church, originally on Main St. in Ridgeland, moved to a brick . . . — Map (db m7192) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Ridgeland — 27-23 — St. Paul's Methodist Church
(Front side): This church, organized on 1890, is the oldest in Ridgland, with its origins in several area Methodist congregations before the Civil War. When Julius G. Sipple of Grahamville encouraged Methodists in Ridgeland to organize a separate congregation, Rev. J.R. Buchanan led the formal organization of the new church. Its first sanctuary , a frame building, was built nearby in 1891. (Reverse side): In 1927 the Gillisonville Methodist Church , organized in 1886, merged . . . — Map (db m6406) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Robertville — 27-1 — Robertville
Named for descendants of Hugnenot minister Pierre Robert, it was the birthplace of Henry Martyn Robert, author of Robert's Rules of Order and of Alexander Lawton, Confederate Quartermaster General. The town was burned by Sherman's army in 1865. The present church was built in Gillisonville in 1846 as an Episcopal Church, moved here by Black Swamp Baptists in 1871. — Map (db m4817) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Tillman — 27-13 — Great Swamp Baptist Church
(Front side): This church, organized October 12, 1845, was the result of a clash in doctrines at nearby Sardis Baptist Church. Some in the congregation favored the primitive Baptist movement, but others, including Rev. John N. Youmans, favored a ministry based on missions. Seventeen members then left Sardis to form a new, more missionary church, with Rev. Youmans as their minister. (reverse side): A brush arbor served as the first meeting place until a small one room . . . — Map (db m6395) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Tillman — J. Lamar Brantley Road
Named in 1982 in recognition of his life and service to his community and state He served the 14th District as a member, South Carolina Highway Commission, 1962 - 66 and as Chairman, 1965 - 66 Through Mr. Brantley's efforts this road was added to the State Highway System and paved, as a way to the popular boat landing for which he gave land A dedicated Public Servent — Map (db m15993) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Tillman — 27-20 — St Matthews Baptist Church
This church was founded in 1870 with Rev. Plenty Pinckney as its first minister and worshipped in a "bush tent" nearby until a log church was built a few years later. A new frame church was built on this site in the 1890's during the pastorate of Rev. C.L. Lawton. The present sanctuary was built in 1960 during the tenure of Rev. R.M. Youmans, who served here for more than 35 years. — Map (db m8793) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Tillman — 27-5 — Tillman
By 1820, the road to Two Sisters Ferry intersected the Purrysburg road at this spot, which had become known as Hennis Crossroads by 1848. A post office established here in 1880 was given the name Tillman. According to tradition, this was to honor U.S. Congressman George D. Tillman, brother of Benjamin Ryan ( "Pitchfork Ben" ) Tillman. Governor of S.C. from 1890 to 1894. — Map (db m8494) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Tillman — 27-15 — Tillman Baptist Church
(Front text) This church, formally established in 1883 as Savin Grove Baptist Church, had its origins in a congregation active before the Civil War just south of present-day Tillman. When Revs. J.F. Morrall and Jonas Trowell reestablished the church it took the old name of Savin Grove. Rev. W.H. Dowling served as its first minister and Rev. J.M. Bostick as its second minister. (Reverse text) This church moved to Tillman in 1897 after the congregation acquired property for a . . . — Map (db m33677) HM
South Carolina (Jasper County), Yemassee — 27-8 — General Robert E. Lee Fighting Near Coosawhatchie
(Text front): General Robert E. LeeFollowing the capture of Hilton Head, Beaufort, and the nearby sea islands in the fall of 1861, General Robert E. Lee was given command of the coastal military department of South Carolina, and East Florida. From his headquarters at Coosawhatchie, about 4 miles SW, he planned the strategy and defenses which successfully contained the enemy until the end of the war. (Text reverse): Fighting Near CoosawhatchieOn October 22, 1862, in . . . — Map (db m6195) HM
30 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 117 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.