|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10487 — Barry Scobee Mountain — 1 Mi. North 6300 Ft. Elev.|
|Camp grounds and lookout post (1850's-1880's) for military, mail coaches, freighters, travelers, emigrants. Site of area's last Indian raid, 1881. Part of John G. Prude Ranch.
Named by Gov. John Connally Dec. 21, 1964, to honor Barry Scobee whose efforts were largely responsible for the preservation of old Fort Davis.
He was born, 1885, in Missouri. Served in U. S. Army in Philippines and later on merchant ship in World War II. Was editor, reporter, printer, publisher. Came to Fort . . . — Map (db m59731) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10473 — Bloys Camp Meeting|
|Held each year since 1890. Founded by Rev. W.B. Bloys, a Presbyterian. His camp pulpit was an Arbuckle Coffee crate. First campers, 48 people from remote ranches and towns, slept in tents, wagons. Family groups had chuck-box meals, sharing with guests. Some 1,500 attend mid-August meetings today. Still nothing is ever sold in camp.
Baptists, Disciples of Christ, Methodists and Presbyterians incorporated the Cowboys' Camp Meeting in 1902. Site, Skillman Grove, has been a camp ground since the 1850's. Elevation is about 6,000 feet. — Map (db m79373) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10474 — Confederate President Jefferson Davis — 1808-1889|
|Friend of Texas. Visited first as officer Mexican War 1847. As U.S. Secretary of War in 1855, built up frontier forts to open West Texas to settlers. Camels imported for patrols, hauling.
His Postmaster-General and personal aide were Texans, as were many on his general staff.
After post-war release from prison, visited state and soldiers. He once had told in wartime:
"Troops from other states have their reputations to gain, but sons of the Alamo have theirs to maintain."
County named for him in 1887. — Map (db m48611) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10476 — First Baptist Church of Fort Davis|
|The Rev. L. R. Millican and the Rev. D. B. Rose established this church in 1896 with six charter members. Services were held on alternate Sundays in churches shared with the Methodist and Presbyterian congregations until 1921 when the Baptists acquired a former skating rink/theater. A more traditional church building was erected in 1942. The congregation sponsored two mission churches and several missionaries in Mexico and is active in community activities. The church has served the area for more than 100 years. — Map (db m61194) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10477 — First Rural School — West of Pecos River — (240 feet south)|
|Built 1881 of adobe brick, by settlers P. H. Pruett, Cal Nations, James Dawson, Joe Dorsey. At the same time Pruett built home a half-mile west. A Texas Rangers' camp in area gave protection from Indians. Mrs. Pruett once made a midnight ride to alert Rangers to approach of Apaches.
Pruett sold home, 1883, to Fort Davis Commandant B. H. Grierson, and founded "Lone Cottonwood" Ranch 4 miles north. School was closed after he moved. In 1912 Pruett sold "Cottonwood" to H. L. Kokernot; now . . . — Map (db m61143) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — Fort Davis|
|Established by Lieut. Col. Washington Seawell with six companies of the Eighth U.S. Infantry in October 1854 for protecting travelers on the San Antonio-El Paso Road. Named in honor of the then Secretary of War, Jefferson Davis, it was abandoned by federal troops in April 1861, reoccupied in 1867. Troops from the post helped to bring about the peaceful settlement and development of the region. Fort Davis was deactivated in 1891. — Map (db m26357) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10479 — Hotel Limpia|
|Hotel Limpia, named for a nearby creek, was built here by the Union Trading Company in 1912. With a doctor's office, drugstore, stylish guest rooms, and spacious porches the hotel became a community social center where area news could be heard, a game of croquet played, or voting results observed. Guests included area ranchers and wealthy Texans, known locally as "Summer Swallows," who came for the cool summer climate. Converted for use as apartments and offices, the hotel housed Harvard . . . — Map (db m61192) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10475 — Jeff Davis County|
|Formed from Presidio County. Created March 15, 1887. Organized May 16, 1887. Named in honor of Jefferson Davis. 1806-1868. President of the Confederate States. Fort Davis, County Seat, Presidio County, 1875. County Seat, Jeff Davis County, since 1887. — Map (db m51483) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 12368 — Jeff Davis County Courthouse|
|Designed by the architectural firm of l. L. Thurman and Co. of Dallas, this building was erected in 1910-1911 and replaced the original 1880 adobe courthouse. This concrete and stone Classical Revival edifice, erected by the Falls City Construction Company of Louisville, Kentucky, is dominated by a massive portico supported by Doric columns. Other distinctive design elements include the alternating horizontal bands of pink rusticated stone made of locally quarried materials and the Beaux Arts . . . — Map (db m61144) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 16485 — Jeff Davis County Jail|
|The community of Fort Davis grew up around the military post of the same name, established by the U.S. Army in 1854 to protect travelers on the San Antonio–El Paso Road. Fort Davis was designated as the Presidio county seat when the county was organized in 1875, but the county seat was relocated to Marfa in 1885. When Jeff Davis County was organized in 1887, Fort Davis was again selected as a county seat.
This jail structure was built in 1910–1911 along with a new county . . . — Map (db m61191) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10484 — Manuel Musquiz|
the ranch home of Manuel Musquiz,
a pioneer who settled here
Abandoned due to Indian raids
the deserted buildings served as
a Ranger Station intermittently,
1880 - 1882
while the country was being
cleared of Indians and bandits — Map (db m5836) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10480 — McDonald Observatory of the University of Texas|
|Original unit in complex forming one of the great observatory centers of the world. Built in the 1930s under terms of legacy from William Johnson McDonald (1844-1926), a Paris (Texas) banker interested in the stars. A well-educated man, McDonald lived frugally. As a hobby, he read science books and viewed planets through a small telescope. His will granted to the University of Texas $800,000: "to build an observatory and promote the study of astronomy." This site was selected because of its . . . — Map (db m26389) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10482 — Old Fort Davis CSA|
|Confederate supply point and frontier outpost on great military road from San Antonio to El Paso 1861-62. After surrendered by U. S. Army, occupied by detachment 2nd Texas Mounted Rifles. Apaches ambushed patrol from fort under Lt. Mays in Big Bend area August 1861. Used by Texas Confederate troops en route to and from New Mexico-Arizona campaign to stop flow of Gold to North and gain access to Pacific. Two cannons buried nearby on return have never been found. Occupied briefly California Union . . . — Map (db m73299) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10483 — Pioneer Cemetery|
|Used from 1870s to 1914. Settlers buried here include: Mr. and Mrs. Diedrick Dutchover, immigrants from Belgium and Spain; their surname, coined by a recruiter in the Mexican War, is borne by many descendants. Dolores, who on her wedding eve lighted a signal fire for her fiance, later found scalped by Indians; she became mentally ill and (until her death 30 years later) burned fires on mountain near town for her lost lover. Two young Frier brothers, who were shot by a Ranger posse as horse . . . — Map (db m53144) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10486 — San Antonio-El Paso Road|
|Westward expeditions opened trails from San Antonio to El Paso in the late 1840s. Two routes, called the upper and lower roads, converged at the Pecos River to traverse the Davis Mountains.
Henry Skillman (1814-1864) began a courier service along the road in 1850 and was awarded a U.S. Government contract to carry the mail. He formed a partnership with George H. Giddings (1823-1902) in 1854, and they established relay stations along the route, including one at the new U.S. Army Post at . . . — Map (db m61196) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 11945 — St. Joseph Catholic Church|
|Catholic clergy began serving residents of the Fort Davis area about 1872. Father Joseph Hoban was appointed pastor in 1876 and the First St Joseph Catholic Church building was erected in 1879. Father Hoban was followed by circuit-riding priest who regarded St. Joseph's as the central church of the region. Father Brocardus Eeken came to Fort Davis in 1892. He and fellow Carmelite friars traveled thousands of miles each year, ministering to the 18 churches and mission stations in the Trans-Pecos . . . — Map (db m61208) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — T/SGT. Manuel S. Gonzales — "Fort Davis' One Man Army"|
|F Co. 2nd Bat. 142nd Inf. Reg. 36th Inf. Div. At Salerno, 9, Sept. 1943, alone: 4 machine gun nests, one mortar squad, one 88mm gun, wounded…kept going. At Cassino: knocked out Mark IV tank with a bazooka.
Distinguished Service Cross, Silver Star, Purple Heart, Combat Infantry Badge, European–African Middle Eastern Ribbon with Battle Stars. American Theater Ribbon, Good Conduct Medal, Victory Medal. — Map (db m61145) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10488 — Trueheart House|
|An excellent example of a Queen Anne style house executed in native stone, adobe, and milled wood, this house was built about 1898 as a summer home for the family of Henry M. and Annie Trueheart, residents of Galveston, where Mr. Trueheart was a prominent real estate investor. The family spent summers here to escape the coastal heat and enjoy the healthful climate of the Davis Mountains. The house remained in the family until 1920.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1964 — Map (db m61195) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10489 — Union Mercantile|
|Founded 1873 by O. M. Keesey and Geo. Gaither in adobe building on this site. Later owned by W. Keesey, an army baker, who sold clothing, groceries, cradles, guns, whiskey, coffins, tobacco, spittoons, wagonwheels, and harness, and did private banking. First telephone in county operated out of store via barbed wire line to ranches.
In 1906 he replaced the adobe with this stone structure that was bought by T. T. Kelly, 1964.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1965 — Map (db m61193) HM|
|Texas (Jeff Davis County), Fort Davis — 10490 — Wild Rose Pass|
|In early days the Indian trail through these mountains followed the gorge below known as Limpia Canyon. To avoid the floods travellers over the San Antonio - El Paso Road, emigrants, U.S. troops and supply trains, and the mail cose this higher pass famed for its wealth of wild roses. — Map (db m59709) HM|