“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Juneau County Markers
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Camp Douglas — 16 — Castle Rock
You are standing on what was once the bottom of a glacial lake in which Castle Rock, the formation rising before you, was an island. Thousands of years of erosion by water, ice and wind created the surface features you see in this area. The wayside where Castle Rock stands is part of Camp Williams, the Wisconsin State Military Reservation acquired in 1900. It is the birthplace of the famous 32nd "Red Arrow" Division which was organized in 1917 and originally composed of National Guardsmen . . . — Map (db m4230) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Camp Douglas — In memory of 1st Lt. Jerome A. Volk
Lt. Volk was the first Wisconsin Air National Guard pilot killed in the Korean Conflict. Jerome Volk was born March 17, 1925, and attended Rufus King High School in Milwaukee. Volk enlisted, went to pilot training, and was commissioned during WWII. Later he joined the Wisconsin Air National Guard in 1949. In 1951 he was called to active duty with the 126th Fighter Squadron at Milwaukee. Volk was killed in action over Korea in an F-80 "Shooting Star" Jet Fighter, November 7, 1951. . . . — Map (db m39165) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Camp Douglas — 299 — Wisconsin Military Reservation
Following the Civil War, state officials reorganized the Wisconsin Militia and in 1879 renamed it the Wisconsin National Guard. Adjutant General Chandler P. Chapman of Madison, a veteran of the famed Iron Brigade, purchased 440 acres near the Village of Camp Douglas, which was used for rifle practice beginning in 1888. Chapman transferred the land to the State shortly thereafter. The original tract was enlarged and became known as the Wisconsin Military Reservation. National Guard training . . . — Map (db m31744) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Camp Douglas — Wisconsin Winnebago Veterans Monument
The thanks of the Nation is extended through the President, Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States to the people of The Winnebago Tribe in Wisconsin for their unswerving loyalty and patriotism, the splendid service rendered, the willing sacrifices made, and the bravery of their sons in the military and naval service of the United States when the Nation was in peril during the World War of 1917-1918. July 4, 1924 Calvin Coolidge Robert . . . — Map (db m37190) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Elroy — 252 — Elroy – Sparta State Trail
This 32 mile state trail was formerly the mainline of the Chicago and North Western Railway. The conversion from “rail to trail” represented a new concept in recreational development. Utilizing the abandoned railbed, it was the first trail of its kind in the United States to be designated a National Recreational Trail by the United States Department of Interior. The trail is primarily used for bicycling, hiking and snowmobiling. Passing through scenic areas, it links the communities . . . — Map (db m18708) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Lyndon Station — 87 — Hop Raising
“Keep hopping, hoeing and hoping” said an editorial in 1867 when hops were selling for 50˘ a pound, pickers by the thousands worked in the fields, merchants were selling silks, laces, paisley shawls and grand pianos, and farmers were building new and larger homes and driving carriages drawn by “blooded” horses. Introduced to Wisconsin in 1852 by Jesse Cottington, hop culture reached its peak in 1866–67 when this area was called “the greatest primary hop . . . — Map (db m52853) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Lyndon Station — 312 — The Iron Brigade
The Iron Brigade became one of the most celebrated units of the Civil War (1861-1865). Of its five regiments, three came from Wisconsin: the Second, Sixth, and Seventh Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry. (The other two regiments were the Nineteenth Indiana and the Twenty-fourth Michigan.) Together, these units ranked among the most gallant and effective of the 3,559 regiments of the Union army. The Iron Brigade earned its nickname during its first campaign at South Mountain in northern Virginia . . . — Map (db m4119) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Lyndon Station — 269 — The Wisconsin River“The Nation’s Hardest-Working River”
From its source at Lac Vieux Desert to the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien, the Wisconsin River descends 1,071 feet in 430 miles. Twenty-six power dams utilize 640 feet of the fall of the river to produce an annual average of one billion kilowatt hours of electrical energy. The Wisconsin Valley Improvement Company, created after passage of state enabling legislation in 1907, operates a system of 21 reservoir dams in the upper valley designed to store water during high flow periods for use . . . — Map (db m4132) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Lyndon Station — Wisconsin Veterans Memorial Highway
A living memorial to and in honor of all Wisconsin veterans, living and dead, of all wars in which the United States of America has engaged. Color guard of the 8th Wisconsin Infantry Regiment with Old Abe at Vicksburg, Mississippi, 1863 The contributions of Wisconsin veterans date to the Civil War, when over 90,000 men took up arms to preserve the Union at places like Antietam, Vicksburg, and Gettysburg. Since then, numerous Wisconsin men and women have served in our nation’s military during times of peace and war. — Map (db m88598) HM WM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Mauston — 95 — Orland S. Loomis (1893–1942)Governor–Elect 1942
A Mauston native, lawyer, and World War I veteran, Loomis served in the state legislature (1929-1934), was first state director of the Rural Electrification Administration (1935-1936), represented Wisconsin at the World Power Conference (1936), and was state attorney general (1937-1938). Wisconsin's last Progressive Party gubernatorial candidate, Loomis won election in 1942 but died before the inauguration. — Map (db m20386) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Mauston — Stewart's Chapel1874
Built by the Rock Valley Union Chapel Society. Used as a community center, church & Sunday school and 4-H meetings in the late 1940's. Lindinia Town Insurance Company was also organized here. This chapel marks the site of Stewart's Settlement founded by William Stewart in 1850. It's importance between Portage and LaCrosse on the old Troy Stage Coach Road faded when the railroad passed through Mauston north of here. In 1989, Russell D. Robinson donated this property to Juneau County Historical Society. — Map (db m56423) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Mauston — 270 — The Sand Counties – Aldo Leopold Territory
“There are some who can live without wild things, and some who cannot.” For those who cannot, Aldo Leopold’s A Sand County Almanac helps reveal the unsuspected natural riches hidden in these sand counties of Wisconsin. At the core of Aldo Leopold’s writing is the concept of a land ethic in which love and respect for the land are the guiding principles. He believed that public conservation efforts had little chance of success unless private individuals felt a strong . . . — Map (db m4227) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Necedah — Soldiers Monument
Erected to the Memory of the Heroes of the War of 1861–65 by Post 245 G.A.R. Dept. of Wis. the W.R.C. No. 90 Dept. of Wis. and by the Citizens of Necedah. ____ Dedicated May 30, 1910 — Map (db m32788) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), New Lisbon — Mrs Salter Killed Here
Mrs Salter killed here by the Indians June 13 – 1863 2 Indians Jo and Jim Dandy killed by Salter and burried here This ax handle killed the 2 Indians and Mrs. Salter Puck-a-Gee — Map (db m31455) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), New Lisbon — New Lisbon Civil War Memorial
To Commemorate the Sacrifices and Heroic Devotion of the Brave Men, the Soldiers of 1861 — 65 Erected by W.P. Mitchell Post No. 61 G.A.R. The W.R.C. No. 108 and Citizens of New Lisbon 1897 — Map (db m32829) HM
Wisconsin (Juneau County), Wonewoc — The Lost DistrictWhere Wonewoc Began
Though today only faint traces of early structures remain, this was the site of much industrial activity in the early days of the Village of Wonewoc. From the original log dam and sawmill of the Willard brothers in 1851 to the Power House and Dam of Arthur Gale (1917) this district was the scene of later sawmills, improved dams, a tannery, lath and planing mills, gristmills and flour mills, all deriving their power from the Baraboo River. The Power House and Dam, removed in 1996, was in fact . . . — Map (db m33910) HM
16 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 

More Search Options
Near You

States and

Counties or

To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.