HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Kenosha County Markers
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 473 — Auto Production in Kenosha
Thomas B. Jeffery purchased the 1895 Sterling Bicycle Factory and pioneered Kenosha’s auto industry in 1900. His company was an industry leader, creating the second mass produced auto in 1902. Jeffery was the first auto manufacturer to make all wheels removable and interchangeable. By 1910, his auto plant was one of the largest in the United States.

Charles Nash purchased the company in 1916 and renamed it Nash Motors. Nash was one of the first auto makers to reinforce vehicles with steel . . . — Map (db m38570) HM

Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Birthplace of Orson Welles
Birthplace of Orson Welles Actor and Director May 6, 1915 – Oct. 10, 1985 — Map (db m65979) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Capt. David Leet and S Sgt. James Van Bendegom
In honor of Capt. David Leet 4-13-72 S Sgt. James Van Bendegom 7-12-67 Missing In Action Vietnam War — Map (db m68531) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 22 — Charles Durkee Mansion1861
[Title is text] City of Kenosha Landmark #22 — Map (db m68507) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Civil War Memorial
In honor of the brave men of Kenosha County, who victoriously defended the Union on land and sea during the War of the Great Rebellion. 1861 - 1865. — Map (db m68501) WM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Colonel Michael FrankFather of Wisconsin Public Schools
On Feb. 24, 1845, as Territorial Legislator, he secured enactment of law authorizing free public education in Southport only. As a result first free school in the Union outside of New England opened in Southport, now Kenosha, June 18, 1845. This school and his continued efforts led to adoption of provision for free schools in the Wisconsin constitution. [Erected] June 18, 1945 — Map (db m38252) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Early VesselsWisconsin's Maritime Trails
Native American canoes launched America’s maritime legacy about 12,000 years ago, making them among the world’s oldest watercraft. Ancient dugout canoes are occasionally preserved when environmental conditions are just right. The canoe above was submerged and waterlogged when it was discovered in 1996 by a twelve-year-old girl and her grandfather in Lake Mary, near Kenosha. They left their find submerged and reported it immediately, allowing Wisconsin Historical Society underwater . . . — Map (db m57837) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 118 — First Congregational ChurchOne-hundredth Anniversary — 1874-1974
This historical landmark is dedicated to the worship of God, and to the promotion of Christian knowledge and charity Chris George Builder Kenosha Landmarks Commission Kenosha County Historical Society — Map (db m38117) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 110 — Gilbert M. Simmons Memorial Library
Dedicated May 30, 1900 This library building a gift of Zalmon G. Simmons to the citizens of Kenosha as a memorial to his son Gilbert M. Simmons (1852-1890) His vision and generosity were appreciated by the pioneer town he believed in and loved. Architect Danial Hudson Burnham (1846-1912) — Map (db m38118) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Green Bay Road
Pioneer Road Chicago to Green Bay Established by the Federal Government 1832 — Map (db m66623) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — John Bullen
In memory of John Bullen who located Kenosha June 12, 1835 and was one of its founders — Map (db m38254) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 465 — John McCaffery Burial Site
John McCaffary was hanged in Kenosha on August 21, 1851, for the murder of his wife and buried here in an unmarked grave. Public outrage over his execution resulted in legislation that abolished the death penalty in Wisconsin on July 12, 1853. — Map (db m38121) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 249 — Kemper Hall
Kemper Hall, boarding school for girls, dates to 1855 when St. Matthew’s Episcopal Church and some dedicated Kenosha citizens signed a charter launching the Kenosha Female Seminary. In 1865, the school moved to this site, the home of U.S. Senator Charles Durkee. The name was changed to honor Wisconsin’s first Episcopal bishop, Jackson Kemper. During its 105 years of educational service under the direction of the Sisters of St. Mary, Kemper Hall achieved prominence as a young women’s preparatory school. — Map (db m38122) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 437 — Kenosha (Southport) Lighthouse
Built by the federal government in 1866, the Kenosha Lighthouse replaces two other lighthouses constructed at this site in 1848 and 1858. Originally designated a coast and harbor light for Southport, now Kenosha, WI provided the first navigational illumination a mariner would see upon entering Wisconsin from the Chicago area. Standing 55 feet tall and situated on a hill, the lighthouse projected light from 74 feet above lake level. The tower is built of yellow Milwaukee Cream City brick and is . . . — Map (db m8167) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 61 — Kenosha County Courthouse1923 - 25
This property Kenosha County Courthouse has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior ——————— Kenosha County Courthouse and Jail 1923-25 City of Kenosha Landmark #61 — Map (db m69217) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Kenosha Veterans Memorial
For God and Country Dedicated in grateful tribute to those who served in the Armed Forces of the United States "Greater love hath no man than this. That a man lay down his life for his friends" John 15:13 Duties are ours Events are God's May 30, 1955 — Map (db m38257) WM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Korean War MemorialKorea — 25 June 1950 - 27 July 1953
"The Forgotten War" This memorial is dedicated to all U.S. military veterans that served in the fight for freedom against the Communist forces on the Korean Peninsula. "You Are Not Forgotten" — Map (db m68551) WM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Lovell G.A.R. Post 230 Civil War Memorial
In honor of the brave Soldiers and Sailors who fought to save the Union in the Rebellion 1861 to 1865. — Map (db m38256) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Naval MemorialDeparted Shipmates Remembered — Navy Memorial Park
In memory of Capt. John J. Frost USNR Retired WWII Korea Destroyer Duty ———————— Dedicated in memory of departed shipmates of the Navy, Marines and Coast Guard of Kenosha County Lawrence Bauman • Louis Boero • Xavior U. Broski • Eric C. Erickson • Donald J. Foreman • John Hampel • Richard H. Hansche • Carl E. Harbert • Webster H. Harbert • Paul E. Herrick • Chester H. Jensen • Steve Kanocz • Morris K. Kinkaid • Steven Kuyawa . . . — Map (db m68581) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Operations Desert Shield / Storm MemorialAugust 7, 1990 - February 28, 1991
In tribute to those who served in Operations Desert Shield / Storm Dedicated by D. I. M. E. S. Duties in the Middle East Support Coat of Arms Post 2751 Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the Citizens of Kenosha County July 4, 1992 In memory of Sgt. William Strehlow — Map (db m68568) WM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Remember Pearl Harbor
In memory of these men who gave their lives at Pearl Harbor and other bases December 7, 1941 [Roll of Honored Dead from the State of Wisconsin] — Map (db m68582) WM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 475 — Reuben Deming
Deming was born in Vermont in 1789 and came to the Village of Southport, later renamed Kenosha, in 1836. Deming was a Methodist preacher and a staunch supporter of the anti-slavery movement. For Methodists, slavery was considered the worst of social wrongs.

In the 1850s, Kenosha was an active stop on the “Underground Railroad.” This “railroad” was a covert network of people who hid southern slaves in their homes before they were smuggled onto ships bound for . . . — Map (db m38119) HM

Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 507 — Revolutionary War Veterans
(Side A) Born April 1757 in Stratford, CT, Abner Barlow moved to NH in 1772. At 20, Barlow enlisted as private in the NH Rangers, serving in Maj. Whitcomb’s Independent Corps at the Battle of Bennington and the surrender of Burgoyne, Saratoga, NY. In 1781, Barlow was captured near Lake Champlain and confined until 1783, after which he lived in NY, then PA. In 1836, Barlow moved with his family to Pleasant Prairie, Racine County, died that year at 79 and is buried here. Jonathan . . . — Map (db m38240) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — 79 — Simmon's [sic] Island Beach House1934-35
City of Kenosha Landmark #79 [supplemental marker on Bath House south wall] The Daughters of the American Revolution Kenosha Chapter plant these trees to honor members who reach the age of 90 years old Instituted October 2004 — Map (db m68517) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Simmons Island ParkDonated in 1917
Erected in honor of Z.G. Simmons and his heirs whose generosity made possible this public park. This park is a perpetual memorial to Kenosha's public spirited citizens and as years go by a lasting source of pleasure to Kenosha men women and children. Erected in memory of Z.G. Simmons. Public Benefactor and Civic Leader — Map (db m68516) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Site of the First Free School
This boulder is placed by the Kenosha Chapter of Daughters of the American Revolution to mark the site of the first free school outside of New England in the Union. It was opened June 18, 1845. The pioneers in this work were: Michael Frank Josiah Bond Henry B. Hinsdale Charles Clement John B. Jilson Reuben Deming F.W. Lyman O.E. Dana Hayes McKinley Charles Durkee Theodore Newell Harvey Durkee J.V. Quarles Sereno Fisk C. Lathan Sholes Samuel Hale Charles Sholes — Map (db m69637) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Southport-Kenosha1835-1923
In 1923 the Kenosha Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution commemorated the Pine Creek settlement of 1835 by placing a plaque on the tower of the 6th Avenue lift bridge. This marker is now given its own special place on Simmons Island. Warters Towslee, Sydney Roberts and Chas W. Turner, Representatives of the Western Emigration Company of Hannibal, New York, arrived at the mouth of Pike Creek on this island in June, 1835, fulfilling their mission of finding a good harbor and good . . . — Map (db m65973) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — St. Matthew’s Church
Erected in 1873 Oldest original church building in Kenosha — Map (db m56831) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — The First Church in Kenosha
Was built ten yards west of this site by the Society of Methodists in 1840 — Map (db m56830) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — The United States Marine CorpsSemper Fidelis — In Memory Of
[Title is text] Anchor donated by Sgt. Richard Mickelsen — Map (db m68580) WM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — Veterans Memorial Fountain"This We Shall Remember"
Kenoshans have fought and died in seven wars, leaving a legacy of courage and devotion, and a selfless contribution to our survival as a free nation. This boulder is from a World War Two battle area near the city of Naha, Okinawa. The sand is from the Omaha and Utah Beaches of Normandy, France. Stone and sand symbolize the worldwide battlegrounds of all wars where Americans have died. Erected by the People of Greater Kenosha, with guidance from the "Veterans Council of Kenosha County . . . — Map (db m68567) HM WM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Kenosha — War MemorialMay We Never Forget That Freedom Is Not Free
It is to the members of our Armed Forces from the City and County of Kenosha who sacrificed their lives defending our freedom that this memorial is dedicated. It stands as a tribute to all of our veterans. [Roll of Honored Dead] Mexican War 1846 - 1848 Civil War 1861 - 1865 Spanish - American War & Philippine Insurrection 1898 - 1902 World War I 1917 - 1918 World War II 1941 - 1945 Korean War 1950 - 1955 Vietnam War 1964 - 1975 Persian Gulf War 1990 - 1991 Iraq War 2003 . . . — Map (db m68584) HM WM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Paris — 420 — Schaefer Mammoth Site
Over 12,000 years ago, Native Americans slaughtered a Northern Woolly Mammoth in a small lake near this site. Between 1992-93, the Kenosha Public Museum excavated the site and concluded that the woolly mammoth stood at 11 feet and weighed 14,000 pounds or 7 tons. This mammoth, or Ice Age elephant, lived among spruce trees and steppe-like vegetation during the Pleistocene glacial epoch. The Schaefer Mammoth Site is one of the oldest mammoth discoveries in the New World, definitively proving that . . . — Map (db m38569) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 305 — Cordelia A.P. Harvey
Wisconsin women rallied to support the Union during the Civil War. They became nurses, hospital matrons, sanitary agents, and ministers. Cordelia A. Perrine Harvey attained national prominence for her role in promoting convalescent aid for sick and wounded soldiers. Cordelia had moved with her family to Southport (Kenosha) in 1840. She married Louis P. Harvey, who became governor in 1862. That April, Governor Harvey drowned while visiting Wisconsin troops wounded at the Battle of Shiloh in . . . — Map (db m36392) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 378 — Green Bay Ethnic Trail
Green Bay Road was the main route of settlement and communication in 19th century eastern Wisconsin. The road followed an ancient Indian trail network and was surveyed for use as a military road between Fort Dearborn (Chicago) and Fort Howard (Green Bay) by the United States War Department in 1835. Completed in 1840 with private funds, Green Bay Road served as the only north-south route in eastern Wisconsin for many years. Waves of European immigrants who came to Wisconsin seeking a new home . . . — Map (db m66625) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 219 — The Name “Wisconsin”
In 1673, thirty-nine years after Jean Nicolet visited the Green Bay area, Father Jacques Marquette and Louis Jolliet set out from New France to explore the Mississippi River. They traveled from the Straits of Mackinac between lakes Huron and Michigan to the Fox River at the foot of Green Bay. Two Native American guides led them up the Fox, from which they portaged (at present day Portage) to the river for which the state is named. Marquette and Jolliet referred to the Wisconsin River as the . . . — Map (db m36671) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Pleasant Prairie — 71 — Thirty-second Division Memorial Highway
The 32nd Division was organized in 1917. Originally it was made up of National Guardsmen from Wisconsin and Michigan. World War I: Fought in Alsace, Aisne-Marne, Olse-Aisne and Meuse-Argonne Offensives. Vanquished 23 German Divisions. Served in the Army of Occupation in Germany. Deactivated in 1919. World War II: One of the first to be called. Fought offensively in the Buna-Sanananda Operations, Saidor, Aitape, Morotai, Biak, Leyte and Luzon campaigns. 654 days in action in the Pacific . . . — Map (db m36339) HM
Wisconsin (Kenosha County), Salem — 503 — Brass Ball Corners
In the 1800’s, before assigning names to roads was a common practice, intersections were often given names to identify communities and places of interest.

The trail through Brass Ball Corners started at Lake Michigan and went west through Lake Geneva to Janesville. Farmers and merchants frequented the trail, hauling grain, furs and lead to the Port of Kenosha.

In 1842, farmer Seth Huntoon recognized a growing need for a place where travelers could rest. He built an inn on the . . . — Map (db m38571) HM

38 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 403 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.