HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Kent County Markers
Delaware (Kent County), Andrewville — KC-64 — Bethel Methodist Church
The roots of Methodism in this community can be traced to the late 18th century, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury traveled throughout this area spreading the message of their faith. Over time some church members became dissatisfied with the organization and government of the established Methodist Episcopal Church. As a result, the Methodist Protestant Church was founded in 1830. Soon thereafter a group of local Methodists affiliated with the new church began to . . . — Map (db m60462) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — K-55 — Brecknock
In 1680 Alexander Humphreys received a warrant from the county court for 600 acres of land which he called Brecknock. The tract is believed to have been named for a shire of Wales. A milling operation was established here in the 1740’s. For nearly two centuries local farmers brought their grain to this place, known for much of that time as Howell’s Mill. The present mansion house was constructed in several stages, with the first section believed to have been built by the mid 18th century. . . . — Map (db m39507) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-41 — Camden
Founded 1783 on the tract “Brecknock” by Daniel Mifflin and settled largely by Quakers. Once called Piccadilly and Mifflins Cross Roads. Incorporated 1852, it was a center of anti-slavery sentiment. Several homes were by tradition stops on the Underground Railroad — Map (db m39508) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-72 — Camden
The history of this community can be traced to the 1780s, when members of the Mifflin family began dividing their land into lots. Much of this land was originally a part of a tract known as Brecknock, which was granted to Alexander Humphreys in 1680. Located at the intersection of two important thoroughfares, a number of homes and businesses were soon constructed here. First known as Mifflin’s Crossroads, and also Piccadilly, the village of Camden was firmly established by the 1790s. The town . . . — Map (db m39511) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-73 — Camden Friends Meeting
Burial Place of John Hunn This house of worship, built in 1805, was first a Preparative Meeting under the care of Motherkiln (Murderkill) Monthly Meeting of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). In 1830, Camden Monthly Meeting was formed by uniting with Motherkiln and Duck Creek Monthly Meetings. It has since absorbed all other Quaker Meetings in Kent and Sussex Counties. Many members were active in the anti-slavery movement. Local Quakers such as the Hunn, Jenkins, and Cowgill families, . . . — Map (db m39513) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — John Hunn1814 - 1894 — Quaker Abolitionist
Chief engineer of the Underground Rail Road in the State of Del. and the richest man in Del. He was convicted and fined in 1846 by the U.S. Dist. Court, later he was fined twice for $10,000.00 each by Del. but was advised the fines wouldn't be imposed if he'd promise not to continue his efforts to aid fugitives in their escape from slavery. Instead, Hunn avowed never to withhold a helping hand from the down-trodden in their hour of distress. His great land holdings and all his possessions were . . . — Map (db m39514) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-82 — Morning Star Institutional Church of God in Christ, Inc.
In 1856, the trustees of Whatcoat Methodist Episcopal Church purchased this site from Thomas Mifflin. The present church was erected thereafter and dedicated on July 26, 1857. Extensive renovations of the structure were undertaken in 1865 and 1940. The building was expanded with the addition of a nine-room educational annex in 1948. The Whatcoat congregation continued to worship here until 1967, when services were moved to a new church nearby. After a decade of continued use as a center for . . . — Map (db m39512) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — KC-100 — Site of Whatcoat Church
In 1791 Daniel Lowber granted permission for “the society of people called Methodists” to erect a “meeting house” at this location. The site was formally conveyed to church trustees in 1796. Adjoining land was obtained in 1813 for use as a public burying ground. The church was named for Richard Whatcoat (1736-1806), a native of England who was sent to this country by John Wesley in 1784 to assist with the formation of new churches and plan the future of American . . . — Map (db m39601) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Camden — K-50 — Star Hill A.M.E. Church
By the end of the 18th century this area was home to a large number of African Americans, many of them freed slaves. Their settlement was largely due to the efforts of local Quakers. A congregation of the African Methodist Episcopal Church was established here circa 1863. On June 12, 1866, the congregation purchased land from Henry W. Postles as the site for their church, which they named “Star of the East.” Members of the church are believed to have participated in the activities . . . — Map (db m39605) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Cheswold — KC-83 — Cheswold Volunteer Fire Company
This company was organized on February 2, 1928, when a group of interested citizens met at C. H. Pearson’s Store for the purpose of electing officers. William S. Scarborough was chosen to be the President of the organization, and Willard D. Boyce was selected to serve as the first Chief. Funds to support the company were raised through subscriptions, suppers, and carnivals. The first fire truck purchased was a used Ford Model T Chemical Wagon. The Cheswold Volunteer Fire Company was formally . . . — Map (db m39050) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Cheswold — Little Creek Hundred
Originally embraced all lands south of Leipsic Creek and north of Little Creek from Delaware River to Maryland line. In 1869 western half was detached and joined to western half of Duck Creek Hundred to form Kenton Hundred. — Map (db m39049) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Cheswold — KC5 — Little Creek Hundred
Originally embraced all lands south of Leipsic Creek and north of Little Creek from Delaware River to Maryland line. In 1869 western half was detached and joined to western half of Duck Creek Hundred to form Kenton Hundred. — Map (db m39051) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Clayton — KC-74 — Site of Blackiston Methodist Church
A local society of Methodists was organized circa 1778. On May 16, 1781, they obtained land here on which to build a permanent house of worship. A large frame church was then constructed and named Blackiston's Chapel, to honor the family that provided the site. For many years it was the largest Methodist church on the Delmarva Peninsula. Many of the pioneers of Methodism visited here to preach. In 1847, the old church was moved and a new one was erected in its place. This building continued to . . . — Map (db m40190) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Clayton — KC-59 — Town of Clayton
First known as Smyrna Station, the Town of Clayton began when the railroad came to this area in the mid-1850s. In 1860, the name was changed to honor Delawarean John M. Clayton, a former United States Secretary of State and strong advocate of the railroad. The town was incorporated on April 15, 1887. Clayton became one of Delmarva’s largest rail centers in the late nineteenth century – serving as the hub for four railroad lines including the Delaware Railroad, the Maryland & Delaware . . . — Map (db m39023) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — An Army of Restoration (CCC)
To provide employment and vocational training for youthful citizens of the United States…through the performance of useful public work in connection with the conservation and development of the natural resources of the United States and its possessions. (CCC Federal Enacting Legislation, 1933) During the dark days of the Great Depression, the Civilian Conservation Corps conserved some of America’s most precious natural resources—its land and young men. Between 1933 and 1942, this . . . — Map (db m4491) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Armed Forces Memorial
This monument is dedicated to remember those men and women missing in action while serving in the Armed Services of the United States of America

Korean War Clifton E. Brooks – PFC U.S. Army • Samuel L. Crawford – PFC U.S. Army • Paul N. Dill – Cpt U.S. Army • Joseph P. Donahue – PFC U.S. Army • Richard D. Hutchinson – PFC U.S. Army • William S. Kempen, Jr – ILT U.S. Army • Laurence C. Layton – ILT U.S. Air Force • Thomas . . . — Map (db m39725) WM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Battles and Engagements of the Delaware Regiment
Battles around New York City and Environs, 1776-1779 1. Long Island, August 27, 1776 2. Throg's Neck, October 12-18, 1776 3. Mamaroneck Raid, October 22, 1776 4. White Plains, October 28, 1776 5. Retreat across New Jersey, November-December 1776 6. Trenton, December 26, 1776 7. Staten Island, August 22, 1777 8. Stony Point, July 16, 1779 Philadelphia Campaign, 1777-1778 1. Brandywine, September 11, 1777 2. Germantown, October 4, 1777 . . . — Map (db m39713) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Bioretention
This facility was converted from a stormwater pond into a bioretention facility in 2009. A bioretention facility, also known as a rain garden, filters polluted stormwater before it enters into a waterway.

When it rains, water washes over parking lots picking up pollutants like oil, garbage, sediment, and gasoline. Without stormwater management, this pollution would run directly into the river. At this site, the bioretention facility intercepts such pollutants before they can reach the Saint Jones River. — Map (db m51116) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-43 — Bishop Richard Allen
Richard Allen founded and became the first Bishop of the African Methodist Episcopal Church in 1816. Born into slavery in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, on February 14, 1760, Allen and his family were sold to a family near Dover in 1772. While there, he purchased his freedom, became a minister and joined the Continental Army as a non-combatant during the Revolutionary War. After returning to Philadelphia, he and Sussex Countian, Absalom Jones, founded the Free African Society in 1787. He helped . . . — Map (db m39093) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-88 — Booker T. Washington School
On November 13, 1922, 210 children and 6 teachers marched from two old school buildings located on Slaughter Street and Division Street to a new school for African- American students in Dover. Funding for the building was provided by the Delaware School Auxiliary Association, through the generosity of P. S. duPont. The school was named for Booker T. Washington (1856-1915), a former slave who became the nation’s foremost African-American educator. Originally built for Grades 1-8, this was the . . . — Map (db m39064) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-53 — Byfield
Near this site stood the boyhood home of Caesar Rodney, signer of the Declaration of Independence, Brigadier General of the State's militia (1775-1778), and President (Governor) of Delaware (1778-1781). Byfield was originally settled in the early 1680's by Daniel Jones, Rodney's maternal great grandfather. Following Jones' death, it became the family seat for three generations of the Rodney family. Caesar Rodney spent his formative years here and eventually acquired ownership of the property . . . — Map (db m75835) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Caesar Rodney
Statesman, Soldier and Patriot. Member of Stamp Act Congress and of First and Second Continental Congresses. Signer of Declaration of Independence. Member and Speaker of Colonial Assembly of “Three Lower Counties on Delaware.” Member of Council of Safety, Major-General of Delaware Militia, and President (Governor) of Delaware during American Revolution. Born 1728, died 1784. Buried on his farm, “Poplar Grove.” Re-interred in Christ Church Yard 1887. — Map (db m39067) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Charles Inglis
In memory of 1734 Charles Inglis 1816 1759 Rector of this parish 1765 1787 Bishop of Nova Scotia 1816 First Colonial Bishop in the British Empire His wife Mary Vining and their two infant children rest in the churchyard. — Map (db m42757) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Colonel John Haslet
Presbyterian minister, later practiced medicine, Member of Colonial Assembly, Member of Council of Safety, 1775. Commanded First Delaware Militia Regiment. This regiment, reviewed in Dover, later joined Washington’s army and fought in Battles of Long Island and White Plains. It disbanded December, 1776. Haslet continuing with Washington’s army was killed Battle of Princeton, January 3, 1777. Buried First Presbyterian Churchyard, Philadelphia. Re-interred here 1841, when address was delivered by John M. Clayton. — Map (db m4716) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Commemoration Park
Dedicated on 13 September 1997 Constucted by 436th Civil Engineering Squadron — Map (db m51022) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Delaware State College
Established May 15, 1891, by an act of the Delaware General Assembly as the State College for Colored Students, by virtue of the 1890 Morrill Land-Grant Act under the provisions of the 1862 Morrill Act of Congress. Incorporated July 1, 1891. Reincorporated March 10, 1911. Name changed to Delaware State College in 1947. — Map (db m39054) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-34 — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn in 1683 ordered Town site laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capitol in 1777 and permanent capitol since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787, making Delaware first State in Union. State Constitutional Convention held here in 1791-1792, 1831, 1852, and 1897. — Map (db m39061) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-35 — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn in 1683 ordered Town site laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capitol in 1777 and permanent capitol since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787, making Delaware first State in Union. State Constitutional Convention held here in 1791-1792, 1831, 1852, and 1897. — Map (db m39107) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Dover
County seat since 1680. William Penn, in 1683, ordered townsite laid out and named Dover. Plotted in 1717. Temporary capital in 1777 and permanent capital since 1779. Federal Constitution ratified here in 1787 making Delaware First State in Union. State Constitutional Conventions held here in 1791-1792, 1831, 1852, and 1897. — Map (db m51115) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Dover Light InfantryKent County, Delaware Militia — 1776-1777
The Light Infantry Company of Dover, a part of the 1st Battalion of Kent County, mustered in on 2 April 1776. Each militia volunteer was uniformly armed, equipped, and wore a standard military coat of green faced with red lapels, cuffs, and collar. From 14 December 1776 to 14 January 1777, Captain Thomas Rodney, youngest brother to Declaration of Independence signer Caesar Rodney, and his light infantry company responded to General George Washington's Call to Arms for militia during . . . — Map (db m39576) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — East Dover Hundred
Originally part of St. Jones Hundred renamed Dover Hundred 1823, the boundaries being Little Creek on north and St. Jones Creek on south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland line. Dover Hundred was divided 1877 into two hundreds, called East Dover Hundred, and West Dover Hundred. — Map (db m51114) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-86 — Former Site of ILC DoverMakers of the Apollo Moonsuit
In 1947 the International Latex Corporation established a specialty products division and chose this site for its location. The company’s rise to prominence as a supplier of aeronautic and aerospace equipment began in 1952 when it was contracted to produce high altitude pressure helmets for the military. By the late 1950s the plant was producing pressure suits and developing prototype helmets for the space program. In 1962 the company was contracted to supply space suits for NASA’s Apollo Lunar . . . — Map (db m39062) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Hall HouseThe First State Heritage Park at Dover
The land on which Hall House stands was originally part of the Woodburn property. In 1885, Thomas Wilson, Jr. purchased an acre from his uncle living in Woodburn and built this house, which was completed in 1887. In 1983, during the administration of Governor Pierre S. du Pont IV, the State of Delaware purchased the house to expand guest and meeting facilities for Woodburn. (sidebar) The interior has three floors that include a vestibule, entrance hall, two parlors, dining . . . — Map (db m43736) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-68 — Hangar 1301
Constructed in 1944, Hangar 1301 served as the headquarters and engineering facility for the 4146th Base Unit from 1944 to 1946. Highly secret testing and development work was done here on air-launched rocket weapons. Aircraft used in testing ranged from P-47 Thunderbolts to four-engine bombers including B-17 Flying Fortresses and B-24 Liberators. Even single engine light planes were outfitted with multiple rocket launchers to test the feasibility of providing additional firepower for all types . . . — Map (db m50623) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Home of John Dickinson
"The Penman of the Revolution." Member of Delaware colonial and state assemblies. Member of Continental Congress, Annapolis Convention, and Philadelphia Federal Constitutional Convention. Signer for Delaware of Articles of Confederation and Federal Constitution. Governor of Delaware and President of Second Delaware Constitutional Convention. Born Maryland, 1732; died Wilmington, 1808. — Map (db m39583) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — In the Council Chamber of Elizabeth Battell's Golden Fleece Tavern
On this site, Delaware became the first state to ratify the Constitution of the United States. December 7, 1787.

We, the deputies of the people of the Delaware state, in Convention met, having taken in our serious consideration the Federal Constitution proposed and agreed upon by the deputies of the United States in a General Convention held at the city of Philadelphia, on the seventeenth day of September, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eighty-seven, have approved, . . . — Map (db m39074) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — John Bell House
The 18th-century front section of this structure is the oldest surviving wood building in Dover. It is being restored to serve as an interpretive center for the First State heritage Park.

The 20th-century rear additions will be removed to return the building to its 18th-century footprint. — Map (db m39097) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — John M. Clayton
Born in Dagsboro, Delaware, 1796. Graduate of Yale College 1815. Member of Delaware House of Representatives 1824. Secretary of State of Delaware 1826-1828. United States Senator 1829-1836, 1845-1849 and 1853 until his death, 1856. Chief Justice of Delaware 1837-1839. United States Secretary of State under Presidents Taylor and Fillmore, 1849 to July 9, 1850. Negotiated the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty with Great Britain. — Map (db m4748) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Kent County Courthouses (1680-1983)
Court was first held in Jones County in 1680. In 1682 William Penn changed the county’s name to Kent County. On August 11, 1863 William Penn directed that the town of Dover be laid out and that a courthouse be erected at the intersection of its two main streets. In 1697-1699 a courthouse was erected in accordance with Penn’s direction at the site of the present courthouse. A former courthouse had been ordered burned for its nails. The 1699 building was used until 1722 when it was sold for use . . . — Map (db m4156) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Legislative Hall - Delaware's Capitol Building
Legislative Hall was dedicated as the state's new capitol building in 1933, replacing The Old State House on The Green. The Senate and the House of Representatives of Delaware's General Assembly meets here. The building also houses the offices of the legislators and the formal office of the Governor. Murals depicting Delaware history, portrait galleries of Delaware's Governors and military heroes, as well as changing exhibits are on display.

The Delaware General Assembly 21 Senators are . . . — Map (db m39068) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Liberty Bell ReproductionDedicated to You, a Free Citizen in a Free Land
Dedicated to you, a free citizen in a free land, this reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of Delaware by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder, Secretary of the Treasury.

As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence Drive from May 15 to July 4, 1950, it was displayed in every part of this state.

The dimensions and tone are identical with those of the original Liberty Bell when it rang out our Independence in 1776. In standing . . . — Map (db m42759) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-60 — Loockerman Hall
In 1723 Nicholas Loockerman purchased 600 acres of land known as “The Range.” Following his death in 1771, the property passed to his grandson Vincent Loockerman Jr. Evidence suggests that he built the Georgian-style mansion known today as Loockerman Hall soon after inheriting the property. A member of the early Revolutionary-era Committee of Inspection, and County Militia, Vincent Loockerman Jr. died on April 5, 1790.

On August 24, 1891, 95 acres of the old plantation . . . — Map (db m39053) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — 72000277 — Loockerman House
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m39098) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Nicholas Ridgely
In this churchyard lie the remains of Nicholas Ridgely, Statesman and Jurist. Born in Dover, 1762, eldest son of Dr. Charles Greenbury Ridgely and Mary Wynkoop Ridgely. Member of State Convention which ratified the Federal Constitution, December 7, 1787. Repeatedly Member of General Assembly from 1788 until 1801. Attorney-General of Delaware, 1791-1801. Delegate to Second State Constitutional Convention, 1791-92. Chancellor of Delaware from 1801 until his death, 1830. — Map (db m39066) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-39 — Old Christ Church
Founded as mission by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in response to a petition from twenty-two inhabitants of Dover in 1703. The present church was erected in 1734. Among early missionaries here was the Rev. Charles Inglis, later first bishop of Nova Scotia. — Map (db m3803) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Old Presbyterian Church
Built 1790 during the pastorate of the Rev. John Miller to replace the earlier log church erected about 1715 on this plot designated as “Meeting House Square”. Presented by the Presbytery to the State of Delaware for a state museum in 1947. Restored in 1949 and 1950 by public subscriptions and with an appropriation from the 115th General Assembly approved by Hon. Elbert N. Carvel, Governor — Map (db m5048) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Pearl Harbor Survivors Association, Inc.Delaware Chapter One
Joseph S. Barbizzi, James C. Beuter, Cleyo E. Blanchard, Benjamin P. Bowings, George B. Buckalew, Sr., John J. Casey, Malcom T. Chandler, Casimir J. Chiczewski, Herbert D. Clifton, E. Hart Davis, James D. Davis, Joel W. Davis, Charles J. Donnelly, Donald R. Foster, Virgil R. Frazier, Melvin J. Gede, William G. Gibson, Ralph A. Giffing, William J. Greenfield, George M. Hammond, Sr., Kenneth H. Hartman, Charles B. Heite, Thad W. Hollis, Donald L. Hopkins, Frank G. Horn, Laurence J. Huber, Robert . . . — Map (db m50621) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Revolutionary War Patriot John Banning
Born in 1740 in Dover, Kent Co., DE Died Feb, 15, 1791 in Dover, Kent Co., DE Justice of the Peace Member of Joint Committee of Accounts, Committee of Correspondence, Council of Safety, and General Assembly. — Map (db m42754) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Richardson and Robbins Complex
The Richardson and Robbins complex began in 1881, twenty-six years after Alden B. Richardson and James W. Robbins started a small cannery at another location in Dover. On this new site Richardson and Robbins prospered as canners of high quality fruits, vegetables, meats and seafoods. Best known of these products were the "R and R" brand canned chickens and plum puddings. The success of the Richardson and Robbins Company is reflected in the succession of additions made to the original plant . . . — Map (db m42760) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Ridgely House
Dr. Charles Greenbury Ridgely: Member Colonial and State Legislative Assemblies; Delegate First State Constitutional Convention 1776.

Nicholas Ridgely (the younger): Member of Convention that ratified Federal Constitution 1787; Delegate Second State Constitutional Convention 1791-1792; Attorney General 1791-1801; Chancellor of Delaware 1801-1830.

Henry Moore Ridgely: Three times Secretary of State of Delaware; Representative in Congress 1811-1815; United States Senator . . . — Map (db m39071) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-70 — Site of Dover's First Methodist Church
In 1778, a Methodist Society was organized in Dover by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. Desiring a permanent place of worship, members acquired a one-half acre lot at this location from Vincent Loockerman in 1782. Future Delaware Governor Richard Bassett contributed toward the construction of a forty foot square structure, which was named Wesley Chapel. Bishop Francis Asbury preached the first sermon here in 1784. The building was used until 1850, when a larger Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church . . . — Map (db m39065) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-94 — Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church
A Presbyterian Society, present in Kent from c1694, was organized and worshipped in a log church on this site from c1708 until 1791. The Presbytery of Philadelphia recognized its congregation in 1714. The present church was built in 1791 and served its congregation until 1924 when a new church was dedicated at State and Reed Street. The Chapel was added in 1880. Among the burials are Col. John Haslet, Commander of the Delaware Regiment, who was killed during the Battle of Princeton in 1777; . . . — Map (db m5166) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Site of King George’s Tavern
From 1724 known as King George’s Tavern. On its sign was painted King George’s portrait, supplanted during the revolution, by the portrait of George Washington. For many years the old hostelry was the meeting place for political rallies and used for gubernatorial receptions. — Map (db m3764) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — K-44 — St. Jones NeckSite of Settlement in the 1660's
This part of what is now Kent County, Delaware was one of the state's earliest sites of English colonization. Beginning in the 1660's plantations were established along the St. Jones River. The Dickinson family of Talbot County, Maryland was among the families who obtained early land patents in the area. Parts of "Merritts", "Whartons" and "Youngs" tracts were among the lands purchased by the Dickinsons with pounds of tobacco. — Map (db m39581) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — State House
Completed in 1792 and restored in 1976, it was shared by Kent County and the State from 1792 to 1873. Prior to the construction of this building, an older county court house stood on the same site. That small brick structure, about twenty five feet square, had been built in 1722. On July 29, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was read from its porch for the first time to the people of Dover. The outline in the paving bricks behind you marks the location of that historic porch. The General Assembly moved to Legislative Hall in January, 1933. — Map (db m39073) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — T-33A Shooting Star
The two-seater T-33 was developed as a variant of Lockheed's P-80 fighter which had a high accident rate until more training with an onboard instructor reversed that trend. In service for over 50 years, the T-33, known as the Shooting Star of T-Bird, was used by the U.S. Air Force to train pilots already qualified to fly propeller-driven aircraft and as an advanced trainer.

In the early 1960s, the T-33 was replaced by the T-37 and T-38 Talon in the USAF's undergraduate pilot training . . . — Map (db m50626) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Bayonets of the Revolution
The Delaware Regiment fought in nearly every campaign of the American Revolution.

For a small state, Delaware's soldiers played a large role in the Revolution. Answering Congress' call, Delaware raised a regiment of 500-600 men by the summer of 1776. They first saw action at the battle of Long Island, fighting with distinction, and then received the post of honor covering the Continental Army's withdrawal across New Jersey. In January 1777, the regiment reorganized, with many veterans . . . — Map (db m39712) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-89 — The Capitol Theater
In 1904, the Dover Opera House opened at this location. The theater was built with funds from a public subscription, and included a stage that was used for a variety of purposes including vaudeville, photoplays, magic lantern shows, and in later years, motion pictures. In 1915, the theater carried the World Series between the Philadelphia Phillies and the Boston Red Sox live on stage. Lights were arranged to simulate a baseball diamond, and as plays took place, a telegrapher wired the action to . . . — Map (db m39104) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Compass Rose
First to ratify the Constitution of the United States. Delaware. The Compass Rose. Dedicated 7 December, 1988. — Map (db m3571) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Congressional Medal Of Honor
In Respectful Memory of Those Delawareans who have recieved The Congressional Medal Of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of life and beyond the call of duty. —––    The Medal of Honor is the highest award that can be received by a member of the armed forces of the United States of America. It is given by the President in the name of Congress to individuals who, while serving in the armed forces, distinguished . . . — Map (db m61103) HM WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Continentals
Liberty and Independence — Map (db m42671) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Line
To commemorate and also preserve to posterity the undying fame of the patriotism and valor of the officers and soldiers of the Delaware Line who, in May 1780 were reviewed on this green for the last time immediately prior to marching on their immortal southern campaign in the war of the American Revolution and from which campaign but few survived to return to their native state this monument is erected by the Delaware State Society of the Cincinnati and the patriotic citizens of Delaware May 30, A. D. 1912. — Map (db m3684) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The Delaware Regiment
On December 9, 1775, the Continental Congress resolved that a body of troops be raised in Delaware "for the defense of American liberty." Commanded by Colonel John Haslet, the Delaware Regiment consisted of more than 500 battle-ready troops when they marched northward to join the Continental Army in August, 1776. After expiration of enlistments and Haslet's death, the Regiment was reorganized in the winter of 1776-1777 under the leadership of Colonel David Hall. Forced to endure great hardship, . . . — Map (db m67456) HM WM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The First State Heritage Park of Dover
The First State Heritage Park of Dover is Delaware’s first urban “park without boundaries.” It includes the many historical and cultural attractions within Dover’s historical districts. Linking the diverse sites throughout Delaware’s capital city, the park paints a comprehensive picture of the heritage of Dover and the State of Delaware. Legislative Hall, the capitol building for the State of Delaware. Before you stands Legislative Hall, the capitol building . . . — Map (db m3557) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — The First State Heritage Park of Dover
The First State Heritage Park of Dover is Delaware’s first urban “park without boundaries.” It includes the many historical and cultural attractions within Dover’s historical districts. Linking the diverse sites throughout Delaware’s capital city, the park paints a comprehensive picture of the heritage of Dover and the State of Delaware. Legislative Hall, the capitol building for the State of Delaware. Before you stands Legislative Hall, the capitol building . . . — Map (db m3560) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-76 — The Golden Fleece TavernBirthplace of the First State
This was the site of the Golden Fleece Tavern, scene of some of the most important and dramatic events in Delaware history. Built in the 1730s, the Golden Fleece was a center for community and government activities. It was a place of great importance during the American Revolution and the early years of our Nation’s Independence. Also known as Battell’s Tavern, it hosted the meetings of the Committee of Inspection and Observation, and was a vital point for the exchange of wartime . . . — Map (db m39075) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Thomas Stevenson House
The brick house was built in 1846. The structures to the rear consist of three separate buildings dating from 1804. They are the original tenement and two outbuildings. The first was a summer kitchen and the latter, Sara Stevenson's (1850) two room schoolhouse. — Map (db m39099) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Timothy Hanson Housec. 1730
The Timothy Hanson House stood on this site until it was relocated in 2006. The front of the building, commissioned by the Delaware Association of REALTORS, for its headquarters in 2006, is a replica of the structure known as the Hanson house. The dwelling is believed to have been moved here after 1837. Moving structures was a common practice at that time due to the high cost of material. It is possible that Timothy Hanson owned the structure before it was moved, but no record of the arrival of . . . — Map (db m39096) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Vietnam MemorialFallen Heroes
Robert P. Archer Jr., Donald Ray Bailey, Paul L. Berry, Bruch E. Clough, Toby Ernest Collins, George H. Coppage, III, George W. Cripps, Clifton Cubbage, Bruce E. Dolbow, Robert H. Donaway, Harold W. Haddick, Jan Victor Henrickson, Lawrence E. Hitchens, Graham Norris Lowdon, Jr., Donald R. Hoskins, Wayne C. Jester, James H. Johnson, Jr., Donald E. Kenton, William L. Lowman, John M. Martin, Paul Oswald Meder, Abraham L. Moore, William L. Nellans, Alexander J. Palenscar, III, Larry F. Potts, Nolan . . . — Map (db m51117) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-71 — Wesley College
Wesley College is a private, liberal arts college affiliated with the United Methodist Church. It was founded in 1873 as Wilmington Conference Academy, a preparatory school for boys under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Female students were admitted the following year. Post-secondary education was added in 1917. The school was called Wesley Collegiate Institute, offering the first two years of college. Renamed Wesley Junior College in 1941, it has been known as Wesley College . . . — Map (db m39063) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — KC-79 — Wesley United Methodist Church
The origin of this congregation can be traced to the establishment of a Methodist society in Dover in 1778. Land on North Street was obtained in 1782, and a brick chapel was completed there in 1784. Bishops Francis Asbury and Richard Whatcoat, pioneers of American Methodism, often conducted services there. Needing more space, the present site was purchased for a new church. The cornerstone was laid on September 23, 1850, and the building was dedicated the following February. To accommodate . . . — Map (db m39100) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Woodburn
Part of a tract of 3,000 acres granted to John Hillyard by William Penn, March 7, 1683. His great-grandson, Charles Hillyard, built this mansion and resided here with his wife, Mary, daughter of William Killen, first Chancellor of Delaware. According to tradition, here culminated Patty Cannon's raid on Dover, vividly portrayed in George Alfred Townsend's historical novel "The Entailed Hat." — Map (db m42761) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — Woodburn: The Governor's House
This house was built for Charles Hillyard III ca. 1798. At the time, it was considered one of the grandest in Kent County. When Hillyard died in 1814, his son-in-law, Dr. Martin W. Bates purchased the house. Bates lived here with his wife Mary and her three younger sisters. The house was sold to Daniel and Mary Cowgill in 1825. The first known reference to the name "Woodburn" was in an 1845 letter written by a Cowgill family member. Before there was an official residence, Governors who did not . . . — Map (db m42796) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Dover — World War II Memorial
1941 - 1945 Dedicated to the enduring memory of those of this community who gave their lives in World War II that we might achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves and with all nations.

In Memoriam W. Kirk Baynard, Ralph H. Bennett, E. Clayton Boggs, Alice L. Brittingham, George H. Bullock, Robert J. Burger, Edward S. Collins, John N. Compton, Jr., Julian A. Courtney, Oscar B. Dean, Louis A. Drexler, Jr., William C. Fox, Melvin A. Geiger, Thomas M. Gooden, III, . . . — Map (db m50622) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Felton — Captain Jonathan Caldwell
This farm, formerly known as Burberry's Berry, was home of Captain Jonathan Caldwell of Colonel Haslet's Regiment in Revolution. Tradition says Delaware soldiers received name "Blue Hen's Chickens" from Caldwell's men having with tem game chickens, celebrated in Kent County for their famous fighting qalities, the brood of a certain blue hen. — Map (db m39608) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Felton — KC-57 — Geographic Center of Delaware
In 1989, a curious seventh grader from the Caesar Rodney School District asked where the center of Delaware was located. With the help of his teacher and the Kent County Department of Planning, it was determined that the geographic center of the state was located approximately eleven miles south of Dover in the field just south of this marker, on the Killen Farm. — Map (db m39607) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Felton — K-54 — Town of Felton
The town of Felton was laid out in 1856 when the Delaware Railroad reached this area. Located between Berrytown to the west and Johnny Cake Landing (Frederica) to the east, the town became a “whistle” stop on the new railroad line. Owing its existence to the railroad, Felton was named in honor of Samuel M. Felton, President of the Philadelphia, Wilmington and Baltimore Railroad and a major force in bringing railroad service to central and southern Delaware. Incorporated on February . . . — Map (db m39606) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Frederica — Barratt's Chapel(Cradle of Methodism in America)
Erected on land deeded by Col.Philip Barratt, August, 1780. Here Thomas Coke, D.D., representative of John Wesley, preached November 14, 1784, administering the Sacrament of Holy Communion for first time by a Methodist America. With Francis Asbury planned organization of Methodist Episcopal Church calling first conference to meet at Baltimore, December 24, 1784. — Map (db m39610) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Frederica — KC-93 — Barratt's Chapel
In 1778 a Methodist Society was organized in this area by Freeborn Garrettson. Desiring a permanent place of worship, the group constructed a brick “preaching house” at his location in 1780. The site was provided by Society member Phillip Barratt, and the building was named in his honor. On November 14, 1784, a large crowd gathered here for Quarterly Meeting. The sermon was given by Dr. Thomas Coke, who had recently arrived from England with directions from Methodist founder John . . . — Map (db m39612) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Harrington — KC-47 — Clark's Corner
On September 17, 1740, Thomas Clark received a Proprieary Warrant from Thomas Penn for lands “adjoining his dwellin place” which he named “Clark’s Folly.” By the 1790’s Benjamin Clark and his son Matthew had established an inn and tavern on this land at a location which became known as Clark’s Corner. A mill, store, and blacksmith’s shop were located nearby. This was an important stop for travelers. A post office was established here in 1857. On January . . . — Map (db m37477) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Harrington — K-61 — First Rural Free Delivery Route
For many years the National Grange and other organizations interested in the welfare of citizens residing in rural areas advocated the establishment of rural free delivery of mail. In October 1896, the Post Office Department introduced experimental rural delivery in West Virginia. The new service was favorably received, and by June of the following year there were forty-four routes in operation in twenty-nine states. On October 3, 1898, rural free delivery of mail in Delaware was initiated . . . — Map (db m37476) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Harrington — K 49 — Harrington
Formerly known as Clark’s Corner, the roots of this community can be traced to settlement by the Clark family in the 1730’s and the subsequent establishment of an inn, tavern, store, and mill nearby. The village was little more than a country crossroads before the coming to the railroad in 1856. In that same year Matthew J. Clark subdivided a portion of his lands into town lots which would form the nucleus of the growing community. In 1859 the state legislature renamed the . . . — Map (db m36916) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Hartly — KC-97 — Cheney Clow's Rebellion
During the American Revolution many Delawareans remained loyal to the British Crown. In 1778 a group of Loyalists under the leadership of local resident Cheney Clow constructed a fort near this location. Concerned that they would march on Dover, a detachments of Delaware militia commanded by Lt. Col. Charles Pope was sent to investigate. Arriving on April 14, the party exchanged fire with the fort's occupants. Returning two days later with reinforcements, Pope found the post abandoned and . . . — Map (db m39715) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Houston — KC-109 — Griffith's ChapelWilliamsville Methodist Church
When Methodism first came to this area in the late 18th century, residents worshipped in local homes and journeyed to nearby towns to attend services. On November 20, 1848 William and Sarah Griffith conveyed land at this location to Trustees of the Methodist Episcopal Church to build "thereon a church or place of worship". Construction was completed circa 1850, and the building was named in their honor. The chapel is a well-preserved example of a mid-nineteenth century, rural Methodist meeting . . . — Map (db m38620) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Kenton — KC-66 — Town of Kenton
The origin of this community can be traced to the mid-18th century, when growing travel between Dover and the head of the Chester River resulted in the establishment of a Public House here to support the needs of travelers. Increasing commerce led to the growth of settlement. First known as Grog-Town and Lewis’ Cross Roads, the village was formally named Kenton in 1806.

A post office was established here in 1857. With the arrival of the Maryland and Delaware Railroad following the . . . — Map (db m39052) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Kitts Hummock — KC-80 — Kitts Hummock
Like the Native Americans before them, European settlers used this rising ground or "hummock" on the shore of the Delaware Bay as a place for fishing and recreation. In 1738, Jehu Curtis received a patent for lands that he called "Kitt's Hammock." By the early 1800s, the Pleasanton family had established a tavern here for the entertainment of visitors. Around 1846, a hotel was built nearby. Known for a time as the Bay View Hotel, it was long the center of local activities. In the latter decades . . . — Map (db m39578) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Little Creek — Old Stone TavernThough Never a Tavern, it was Built of Stone
Stone is a rare material on this coastal plain, so when you find three stone buildings in one small area, there has to be a reason. The reason is that the same person, Manlove Hayes, built them all. Hayes built the house now known as the Stone Tavern some time before 1829 for Henry Bell, whose family had owned the lot since the mid-18th century. Hayes, who ran the shipping industry in Little Creek, is also credited with building the two other stone buildings: the Octagonal Schoolhouse, which . . . — Map (db m50628) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Magnolia — KC-90 — Murderkill/Motherkiln Friends Meeting
Quakers were gathering for worship in this area by 1712, when members of the Religious Society of Friends met "at the widow Needham's at Murderkill Creek." Established as Motherkiln Preparative Meeting (under the care of Duck Creek Meeting), the group probably met in the homes of its members until a meetinghouse was constructed at this site, circa 1760, on land donated by William Jackson. The structure was burned soon thereafter, and for a time Friends debated relocating the Meeting to a site . . . — Map (db m39459) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Magnolia — KC-91 — Warner Mifflin1745 - 1798
A native of Virginia's Eastern Shore, Mifflin came to Delaware as a young man. Born into a slaveholding Quaker family, he manumitted his own slaves in 1774-75 and later became one of America's foremost abolitionists of the 18th century. As an elder of the Religious Society of Friends, he traveled extensively to convince others to free their slaves as well. He addressed the legislatures of several states and presented numerous petitions and memorials to the United States Congress opposing . . . — Map (db m39456) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Marydel — KC-69 — Mason-Dixon Crownstone
Responsible for marking the boundaries of Maryland and Pennsylvania (including the "Three Lower Counties" of Delaware), Mason and Dixon began their survey of the North-South or Tangent Line at the southwestern corner of present-day Delaware in June 1764. Proceeding northward, they arrived here on July 30, forty-five miles from their starting point. They later returned to replace temporary markers with stones imported from England. Mile point stones bore the letters P and M. At five-mile points . . . — Map (db m37052) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Marydel — West Dover Hundred
Originally part of St. Jones Hundred, renamed Dover Hundred 1823, the boundaries being Little Creek on the north and St. Jones Creek on the south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland Line. Dover Hundred was divided 1877 into two Hundreds, called West Dover Hundred and East Dover Hundred. — Map (db m74137) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-111 — Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church
It is believed that parishioners of Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church were worshiping in a private residence on North Street by 1859. The church eventually moved to a site on Church Street to accommodate the growing congregation. On March 2, 1895 Bethel AME Church was formally incorporated. In April of the same year, a lot was acquired on Fourth Street from Amelia Brinkley and a house of worship was built. A second building on Church Street, for use as a parsonage, was conveyed to the . . . — Map (db m69034) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-101 — Christ ChurchMispillion Milford
Christ Church Mispillion was the second parish in Delaware established by the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel in Foreign Parts. The Rev. Thomas Crawford first held services of the Church of England in lower Kent County in 1704. The previous church was located at Church Hill about three miles west of Milford. The Rev. Sydenham Thorne, the first resident rector, was instrumental in the relocation of the church to the new town of Milford. Construction of the church in Milford was started . . . — Map (db m69033) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — K 29 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called “Saw-Mill Range.” Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated 1807. Old town in Kent County, new town in Sussex County. Home of Governors Tharp Causey, Burton and Watson. — Map (db m36909) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC 28 — Milford
Town laid out by Joseph Oliver 1787. Village was located on tract then called “Saw-Mill Range.” Named Milford from fording place near mill-dam erected by Rev. Sydenham Thorne across Mispillion Creek, 1787. First incorporated 1807. Old town in Kent County, new town in Sussex County. Home of Governors Rogers,Tharp Causey, Burton and Watson. — Map (db m36950) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-92 — Parson Thorne Mansion(Silver Hill)
This historic building lies within a 1,750 acre Duke of York land patent called Saw Mill Range granted to Henry Bowman in 1680. The first known resident of this portion of the tract was Joseph Booth, who purchased 510 acres from the Bowman family in 1730. The center brick section of the present structure was built by John Cullen after his purchase of 263 acres in 1746. Reverend Syndenham Thorne, an Episcopal clergyman who was instrumental in Milford’s development, bought the . . . — Map (db m37393) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Milford — KC-65 — Site of Milford's First Methodist Church
The beginning of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in 1777. Early meetings were held in the homes of its members. On December 3, 1787, Joseph Oliver conveyed a lot of ground at this location for the purpose of “building a preaching house or church” for the Methodists. A frame chapel was constructed here and completed in 1790. The growth and prosperity of the congregation resulted in the construction of an . . . — Map (db m36888) HM
Delaware (Kent County), near Greenwood — K-61 — Todd's Chapel United Methodist Church
   The origin of this congregation can be traced to the days of the American Revolution, when Methodist pioneers such as Francis Asbury and Freeborn Garrettson traveled throughout this area organizing groups or “societies” for worship. Many of the early meetings were held at the homes of members such as local resident Levin Todd. On March 6, 1803, Todd and other representatives of the local society purchased land at this location from Olive and Mary Jump to serve . . . — Map (db m60461) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smryna — The Delaware House
N. Main & Mt. Vernon Street c. 1817 National Register of Historic Places of the Smyrna Historic District — Map (db m39676) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-67 — "First in the World"Post # 14 American Legion Ambulance Service
In 1924, the members of the David C. Harrison American Legion Post # 14 initiated the first American Legion ambulance service in the world. Its eighteen founding members were veterans of World War I who volunteered their time to transport the sick and injured to hospitals in Wilmington, Dover, Milford, and beyond. Prior to this time, persons needing medical assistance were transported by train. This practice was often time-consuming and thereby dangerous to patients who were seriously ill and . . . — Map (db m39026) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Allee House
In 1706 John Allee, of a Huguenot family, bought a 600-acre tract, "Woodstock Bower," of which this land is a part. One of his sons, Abraham, was prominent in Kent County affairs until his death in 1776: Member of the General Assembly 1726, Justice of the Peace 1738, Chief Ranger of Kent County 1749. This house was built about 1753, probably by Abraham. In 1963 the U.S. Government leased the house to the State of Delaware for preservation as a fine example of early Delaware "Plantation" Architecture. — Map (db m39589) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Commodore Jacob Jones
Born 1768, near this site. Commanded U.S. Sloop Wasp in notable victory over superior British sloop Frolic, October, 1812, off Cape Hatteras. Commanded frigate Constitution 1818-1829. Died August, 1850. Buried at Cecilton, Maryland. Reinterred in Wilmington and Brandywine Cemetery, with distinguished honors. — Map (db m39031) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-60 — Home of Allen McLane
For many years this home was the property of Colonel Allen McLane, statesman and hero of the American Revolution.

Born in Philadelphia August 8, 1746, McLane had moved to Delaware by 1769. His military career began when he was commissioned as an officer in the state militia in 1775. After the outbreak of the Revolution, McLane volunteered to raise a company of troops, investing much of his inheritance in accompanying expenses. During the course of the war he was an active . . . — Map (db m39028) HM

Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-78 — Sgt. John B. MaberryMedal of Honor Recipient
Born December 17, 1841, John B. Maberry was the son of John and Temperance Brockson Maberry of Duck Creek Hundred. Responding to the call of his country, he enlisted in the Union Army’s Company F, First Regiment, Delaware Infantry Volunteers, in August 1861. Actively engaged in many of the major campaigns of the war, the 1st Delaware earned honors and accolades for its outstanding service and military discipline. On July 3, 1863, during the final day of the Battle of Gettysburg, the regiment . . . — Map (db m39024) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-81 — Site of Duck Creek Presbyterian Church
In 1733 a charter was granted to “a dissenting congregation” of Scots and Irish Presbyterians who had settled in this area. A Meeting House was subsequently erected at this location. The Reverend Thomas Evans conducted the first service here on August 12, 1733. The tract, then known as Holy Hill, was formally conveyed to church trustees in 1749. On June 30, 1776, the Reverend John Miller summoned the large number of Patriots in the congregation to support the American Revolution. . . . — Map (db m39032) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-84 — Site of Green Pottery
In 1764, Thomas Green sold a one-quarter acre lot at this location to his grandson, Charles Green. Some time thereafter, Charles established a facility for the manufacturing of redware pottery on this site. The business is known to have been in operation by the 1780s. Redware is made from clay with high amounts of iron oxide, giving a brick red color to the finished product. Archaeological evidence indicates that the producers of this pottery included cups, mugs, bowls, plates, pitchers, jugs, . . . — Map (db m39678) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church
The roots of Methodism in this community can be traced to the organization of a local “society” in the 1770’s. Meetings were held in private homes before a frame structure was built here circa 1786 on land provided by Col. Allan McLane, Revolutionary War hero and early advocate of Methodism. On May 9, 1799, the meeting house and burial ground were formally conveyed to the church trustees for 5 shillings. The Philadelphia Annual Conference was held here on numerous occasions in the . . . — Map (db m39027) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — Site of the Duck Creek Society of Friends
The first religious organization to hold services in Duck Creek Hundred - 1705. Property transferred to Duck Creek Historical Society - 1962. Michael Desmond, Jr's Eagle Scout Restoration Project - 2002. — Map (db m39711) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-71 — Smyrna Opera House and Old Town Hall
In the spring of 1869, the Commissioners of Smyrna approved a plan to erect a Town Hall. Responding to the long-held desire of the citizens for a venue for public gatherings, architect Richard Mitchell designed the building to include a “hall” on the second floor. Ground was broken on July 15, 1869, and the building was opened the following spring. For many years it was the center of the community’s civic and social activities. Often attracting large crowds from long distances, the . . . — Map (db m39030) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — KC-85 — The Barracks
This longtime Smyrna landmark was constructed by Robert Holliday in the late 18th century. The first known residents of the home are believed to have been the family of his daughter, Susannah Holliday Wilson. The origin of the name “The Barracks” is uncertain, but records confirm that it was known as such from an early date. After being sold by the Wilson family in 1818, the property changed ownership on several occasions during the following four decades. One owner of note was . . . — Map (db m39029) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — The Gray Box Chateau
The Gray Box Chateau 24 North Main Street Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1764 — Map (db m39679) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Smyrna — The John Cummins Mansion
The John Cummins Mansion has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior - May 23, 1980 — Map (db m39677) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Viola — K-15 — North Murderkill Hundred
Formerly part of Murderkill Hundred, originally called Motherkill Hundred, kill meaning creek in Dutch. Original boundaries were St. Jones Creek on north, and Murderkill Creek on south, extending from Delaware River to Maryland line. In 1867, Murderkill Hundred was divided into two hundreds named North Murderkill Hundred and South Murderkill Hundred. — Map (db m51113) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Wyoming — KC-99 — Coming of the Railroad
Efforts to establish rail transportation in Delaware were realized in 1832 with the completion of the New Castle and Frenchtown Railroad connecting shipping traffic on the Chesapeake Bay and Delaware River. The promise of railroads was clearly demonstrated, and in 1836 the General Assembly chartered the Delaware Railroad for the purpose of building a line from a junction with the New Castle and Frenchtown to the southern border of the state. Due to poor economic conditions construction was . . . — Map (db m39604) HM
Delaware (Kent County), Wyoming — KC-63 — Town of Wyoming
The construction of the Delaware Railroad in the 1850s led to the establishment of the Delmarva Peninsula’s first and most important north-south railway transportation artery. Proximity to the nearby community of Camden resulted in the location of a station here when the railroad arrived in 1856. Settlement of “West Camden” quickly expanded with the construction of homes and businesses. In 1865 the Rev. John J. Pierce migrated here from the Wyoming Valley in Pennsylvania. Rev. . . . — Map (db m39603) HM
115 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 195 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.