Dedicated with Pride and Appreciation to All
Military Personnel from the Arvin and Lamont Area
"Operaton Desert Storm"
Janice Acree • Jose A. Garza • Javier Almaguer • Steven M. Gutierrez • John Alverez • Ted Johnson • Joe Baltierra • . . . — Map (db m59203) HM
Located on the hills in front of you, on the historic Tejon Ranch, the Arvin-Sierra Glider Port was the site for the West Coast Soaring Championships. Many of America’s famous glider pilots made record flights from here, soaring over the mountains . . . — Map (db m80599) HM
Dedicated to the Memory of
All the Patriotic Men and Women
Who Answered Their Country's Call to Service
George W. Bush
President of the United States
James B. Peake
U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs . . . — Map (db m59200) HM
Padre Garcés, first recorded non-Indian to visit this locality, came in April of 1776, seeking a new route from Mexico to California. His epic journey covered more than two thousand miles of uncharted wilderness, opening trails that later became . . . — Map (db m11932) HM
Adobe was a common material used to construct buildings from the Spanish mission period of California history through the 1930s.
Adobe is a sun-dried brick made from soil or clay. This structure was built to resemble an adobe dwelling . . . — Map (db m25062) HM
This is the original site of the residence of pioneer merchant Alphone Weill, wife Henrietta, and three children, Irma, Blanche, and Lawrence. The house, built in 1882-3, and now standing in Pioneer Village, was constructed by Alexis Godey, former . . . — Map (db m55120) HM
Former site of two-story
opened December 26, 1874. Rebuilt to
three stories after fire of 1889
and operated until 1915. Redesigned
in 1916 to two-story business and
store building. — Map (db m55122) HM
Kern County experienced a mining boom just like other parts of California. Prospectors arriving from near and far found gold, silver and other valuable ore in Kern County’s mountains beginning in the 1850s.
An assayer tests the purity . . . — Map (db m26080) HM
Public parks sprang up as a response to the increasingly polluted urban environments created by the industrial revolution in the 1800s.
Urbanization and industrialization began to change American life by the 1840s. Large, open, green . . . — Map (db m25447) HM
This site patented by Colonel Thomas Baker in 1867. Numerous individuals owned property until erection of Bank of Bakerfield in 1903. Replaced by present Bank of America buiding in 1930. — Map (db m55118) HM
After being injured while fighting for the Confederacy during the Civil War, Thomas Barnes came to Kern County looking for opportunity.
In 1868, a tremendous flood washed trees from the Sierra Nevada Mountains down the Kern River . . . — Map (db m25076) HM
The Beale Memorial Clock Tower was a gift to the City of Bakersfield from Truxtun Beale in memory of his mother, Mary Edwards Beale.
Dedicated on April 2, 1904, the clock tower originally stood in the center of the intersection at Chester . . . — Map (db m25001) HM
Situated at the southern end of the San Joaquin Valley, Kern County was part of a natural corridor for a railroad running between San Francisco and Los Angeles.
The Southern Pacific Railroad began laying track southward from San . . . — Map (db m25117) HM
Many large farms and ranches throughout Kern County operated a blacksmith shop to make and repair tools.
This blacksmith shop was built at the Calloway Ranch around 1890. The Calloway Ranch was located near the Kern County Land . . . — Map (db m26972) HM
This site was deeded by Col Thomas Baker to Agnes Stine in 1871. Dave Hirshfeld ran the Pioneer Store here in 1899. Succeeded by Otto Belau in the same year. In 1904 the business was sold to Hochheimer and Co. After the 1919 fire the structure was . . . — Map (db m55116) HM
The bungalow style home was popular throughout California and across the country in the early years of the 1900s because of its simplistic design and low cost.
People migrating to California often had very limited resources and would . . . — Map (db m64023)
Kern County is one of the top oil producing areas in the United States. Four oil fields in Kern County have each produced over one billion barrels of oil.
In 1899, the discovery of oil on land near the Kern River started an oil boom. . . . — Map (db m25692) HM
Elisha Stephens was born in South Carolina in 1804 and moved to Georgia with his family at a young age.
However, he was to spend most of the first half of his life in the frontier lands bordering the Missouri River. Like many other Americans of his . . . — Map (db m55187) HM
California Historical Landmark
Colonel Thomas Baker
Civil Engineer – Lawyer
Farmer – Soldier
1810 – 1872
In 1863 Colonel Baker came to this location. A friend to all travelers. His settlement became known at . . . — Map (db m24900) HM
During the 1880s, this wagon was used by a cook as a portable kitchen to prepare meals for field hands employed by the Kern County Land Company.
The wagon is equipped with a pantry for storing vegetables and bread, a sink, a work space . . . — Map (db m26973) HM
From the 1850s to the 1890s, the lure of gold brought people to the mountains and deserts of Kern County. Mining towns such as Claraville, Havilah and Randsburg sprang up almost overnight.
Although most of the residents of these . . . — Map (db m25994) HM
Tooth decay was a common and greatly feared ailment in earlier days.
People either had to make do with a painful tooth or find someone to pull it. If a trained dentist could not be found or afforded, a blacksmith or another person who . . . — Map (db m25929) HM
Oil was discovered at 70 feet in 1899, when Tom Means persuaded Roe Elwood and Frank Wiseman, aided by Jonathan, Bert, Jed, and Ken Elwood, George Wiseman, and John Marlowe, to dig here for oil. On June 1, 1899, 400 feet to the north, Horace and . . . — Map (db m25294) HM
Until modern medicine, contagious diseases afflicted both young and old and many died at a young age.
In 1875, there were fifteen physicians in Kern County, which had a widely scattered population of approximately 2,700 people. These . . . — Map (db m25921) HM
This gentleman deserves so much more than a simple grave marker saying, “Father – Joseph J. Lopez – 1852 – 1939”. The man’s true name was José Jesús Lopez (or J. J.). Among other things he was in charge of all of . . . — Map (db m83347) HM
Treatment for illness and the maintenance of good health were important for the success of a new community.
Early pharmacists compounded prescription medicine with mortars and pestles, made their own pills, and sold popular patent . . . — Map (db m25308) HM
These days restaurants come and go in the blink of an eye. But every so often a venue dishes up just the right mix of food and ambiance. Ethel's Old Corral is a perfect example of a restaurant getting it right. Great food, entertainment, customer . . . — Map (db m89308) HM
Access to adequate water supplies was crucial to the settlement of Kern County.
Water from the Kern River was diverted to irrigate farmlands, but most towns relied on wells for drinking water.
The Fairhaven Water Company built this . . . — Map (db m25493) HM
Padre Garces seeking a new route between Sonora, Mexico and Monterey crossed Rio de San Felipe (Kern River May 7, 1776) at Rancheria San Miguel now Bakersfield. First recorded white man in this locality, he brought Christianity to the Indian and on . . . — Map (db m34769) HM
To entertain men seeking their fortunes in mining boom towns, social clubs and fraternal organizations held meetings and offered other diversions in Kern County’s mining communities.
The exhibits on display in this building contain . . . — Map (db m26006) HM
A gazebo is a common garden structure often found in warm climates to provide shade.
Dairy owner Christian Mattly built this gazebo next to a dormitory for students enrolled in courses at the Kern County High School farm around 1905. . . . — Map (db m25369) HM
One of the first retail establishments built in a small town during the early 1900s was a general store selling food, household goods and hardware to people living nearby
The town of Woody, named for Sparrel Woody, was established about . . . — Map (db m83625) HM
Gordon’s Ferry was an overhead cable type of ferry operated during the 1850’s by Major Gordon. An adobe station house was located on the south bank of Kern River, just a few yards to the west of this marker. It was also a station on the Butterfield . . . — Map (db m25149) HM
Newspapers brought news of wars, politics, local happenings and other important information to the residents of Kern County.
This exhibit displays artifacts reminiscent of Kern County’s first newspaper office, the Weekly Courier. . . . — Map (db m26087) HM
Near this spot stood the last home of Elisha Stevens, noted American pathfinder and scout. Born in Georgia April 5, 1804, he learned blacksmithing during his youth. Drifting west he became a trapper on the Upper Missouri for more than two decades. . . . — Map (db m50252) HM
Only the most impoverished people sought treatment at a hospital.
The first county hospital in Bakersfield opened its doors to the public in January 1875. The hospital was constructed at 13th and G Streets for $1,400.00. It was a plain . . . — Map (db m27061) HM
The discovery of oil on the west side of Kern County in the late 1800s brought an influx of people to the area and created oil boom towns such as Fellows, Reward, and Taft.
In 1910, L. R. Buchanan built the Hotel Fellows for Martha . . . — Map (db m25992) HM
In 1891, William Howell hired local carpenter John Singleton to construct this Queen Anne style Victorian home on the northeast corner of 17th and H Streets in Bakersfield.
William Howell moved with his parents and sisters from . . . — Map (db m25034) HM
This area was originally a portion of the Jewett Brothers’ Ranches. In 1859 Solomon and Philo Jewett walked 2000 miles to present day Kern County. They built the first store in Bakersfield in 1865 and the same year raised the first commercial cotton . . . — Map (db m24989) HM
The Chinese community was an early and significant element of the population of Kern County.
Chinese immigrants contributed to the social, economic and industrial growth of Kern County by mining, farming, building railroads, and owning . . . — Map (db m25318) HM
East Bakersfield, originally named Sumner, was founded by the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1874. The name of the town was changed to Kern in 1893 and shortly thereafter was called Kern City.
This building, constructed in 1910, was . . . — Map (db m25063) HM
The Kern County Chamber of Commerce building was completed in 1928, Chester Avenue was part of State Highway 99, the main north-south route through California.
Architect Charles H. Biggar designed this Spanish-style building on land . . . — Map (db m25008) HM
Over the years, county fairs have provided a venue for farmers and their families to showcase crops, livestock, arts, and crafts and learn about the latest agricultural techniques.
The land presently occupied by the museum was once the . . . — Map (db m51873) HM
In 1894, four years after the formation of the Kern County Land Company, the firm built an office building that demonstrated its "Faith in the Future" of Bakersfield. The structure with outside walls of cream colored pressed brick, trimmed with gray . . . — Map (db m52573) HM
To The More Than 14,000
Men and Women
From Kern County
Who Served In Vietnam…
And To Those Who Gave
The Ultimate Sacrifice…
You Are Not Forgotten
Wind Beneath My Wings
Clayton A. Fannin
Larry S. Pierce . . . — Map (db m25130) HM
In 1871 Horatio P. Livermore and William Muehe built the Kern River Flour Mills on the Kern Island Canal. Muehe sold his interest to Fordyce Roper in 1874 and Livermore to James B. Haggin in 1879, who also acquired Roper's interest in 1884. The . . . — Map (db m53243) HM
Just south of this point stood the Butterfield Overland Stage site known as Kern River Slough. Operating through present Kern County during 1858 – 1861. This famous line ran from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco until the outbreak of . . . — Map (db m24946) HM
The Kern Valley Bank, established on February 24, 1874, was the first bank incorporated in Kern County.
Established soon after the economic depression known as the Panic of 1873, the Kern Valley Bank managed to weather the nationwide . . . — Map (db m25978) HM
José and Mary Lόpez belonged to the first generation of Americans born in California after statehood was granted on September 9, 1850.
José Lόpez came to Kern County to raise sheep in 1873. The following year Edward Beale, . . . — Map (db m25013) HM
Near this site stood the home of Alexis Godey, frontiersman and scout, who lived here from 1883 until his death on January 19, 1889. Born in St. Louis, Missouri in 1818, he acted as guide for John C. Frémont's expedition through the Kern area in . . . — Map (db m51676) HM
Site of Livermore and Chester Store, first business establishment in Bakersfield, an adobe structure built in 1865. Purchased by H. H. Fish in 1886. Destroyed in the fire of 1889. Rebuilt in 1890. — Map (db m55119) HM
Thomas Metcalf built this charming Eastlake-style Victorian house on the southwest corner of Dracena and C Streets near downtown Bakersfield in 1885.
Thomas Metcalf, born in St. Clairsville, Ohio, enlisted to fight for the Union Army . . . — Map (db m25983) HM
Large scale farming and ranching was needed to supply the restaurants and grocery stores in fast-growing cities like San Francisco and Los Angeles in the late 1800s.
Henry Miller and Charles Lux purchased large areas of land throughout . . . — Map (db m25309) HM
One-room school houses dotted the rural Western landscape to serve sparse populations before the automobile made transportation to towns faster and easier.
This one-room school was built in 1882 north of the town of Rosedale on land . . . — Map (db m25075) HM
Pablo Galtes facilitated the establishment of the Catholic community of Bakersfield in the early 1870's. The first Mass celebrated in Bakersfield was said in the back of Pablo's store located on 19th Street near Chester Avenue. (Eleven family . . . — Map (db m52546) HM
The invention of photography and mass production of photographic prints brought images of never before seen people, places and events into American homes.
By the 1850s, people could obtain a photograph depicting their exact likeness at . . . — Map (db m25115) HM
During their childhood, William Pinkney and Amanda Boydston took part in a migration of Americans heading west to seek land, gold and other opportunities in the western states shortly after the end of the Civil War.
In 1898, William . . . — Map (db m25114) HM
Two and one-half miles east of this point stood the Posey Station on the Butterfield Overland Stage route that ran from St. Louis, Missouri through present-day Kern County to San Francisco during 1858-61, until the outbreak of the Civil War. — Map (db m25444) HM
Railroad yards are highly specialized facilities consisting of engine maintenance buildings, fueling areas, track and switching areas and material storage yards.
This scale house was used in the Santa Fe Railroad switchyard in . . . — Map (db m25636) HM
One mile north of here on May 1, 1776, Francisco Garces of the Franciscan Order, crossed Kern River in his search for a shorter route from Sonora, Mexico to Monterey, California. He was the first known explorer to describe this river, which he named . . . — Map (db m24984) HM
People living in small towns built churches to provide services within walking distance from their homes.
Saint John’s Episcopal Mission opened to parishioners in Rosedale in 1892. In the early days, a pastor from Saint Paul’s Episcopal . . . — Map (db m25457) HM
The caboose was an office, a lookout, and a home away from home for a train crew.
In the days before automatic air brakes, the engineer signaled the caboose with his whistle when he wanted to slow down or stop. A brakeman would then . . . — Map (db m25598) HM
Spanish missionaries brought the first domesticated sheep to California. During the Gold Rush, sheep provided food and textiles to people seeking their fortune in California.
In 1906, Thomas Quinn built this cabin to provide housing . . . — Map (db m25081) HM
The popularity of the automobile created an increasing demand for petroleum products, like gasoline, in the early 1900s.
Americans were suddenly able to travel to new destinations faster and easier than ever before, thus requiring new . . . — Map (db m25187) HM
This locomotive, among the largest and most powerful on the Southern Pacific Railroad system, supported the growth and development of the San Joaquin Valley and the West.
Engine #2914, called a 4-8-0 because of its wheel . . . — Map (db m25600) HM
Approximately 3,000 men labored on railroad construction up and over the Tehachapi Mountains in the 1870s.
It took over three years for the line to be completed through Kern County. As the railroad slowly progressed through the county, . . . — Map (db m25606) HM
This standard end pumping unit was salvaged and erected by the Production Department, Chevron U.S.A., Inc., La Habra to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Standard Oil Company of California
The unit is composed of original parts from the San . . . — Map (db m26118) HM
Constructed in 1917 by Henry Jastro, this building is listed on both The National Register of Historic Buildings and the The Register of Historic Places by the Bakersfield City Council. It originally housed the executive offices of Standard Oil . . . — Map (db m55124) HM
The discovery of oil near the Kern River in 1899 brought people to the area, creating a boomtown such as Oil Center, Oil City and Oildale.
The Standard School District was formed in 1909. Standard Oil Company donated five acres of land . . . — Map (db m51874) HM
This barn, used to feed and harness teams of horses, was originally located at 1606 “R” Street in Bakersfield.
Four horses could be fed and harnessed inside this barn. Chopped hay, stored in the barn’s loft, was lowered . . . — Map (db m25642) HM
Life in the mid 1800s was difficult. The average age of death in the United States of America was around 40 years old. Disease, accidents and hard work took its toll on people lives.
This exhibit displays artifacts, dating from the . . . — Map (db m26141) HM
Built on the southeast corner of 17th and H Streets in Bakersfield in 1882, Alphonse and Henrietta Weill’s house was considered “modern” for its day because of the high ceilings, long hallway, and indoor plumbing.
In 1870, . . . — Map (db m25395) HM
Alphonse Weill came from France to Havilah in 1870 and moved to Bakersfield in 1872, was employed by merchant Jacob Weil (No Relation), and became his partner in 1873. Subsequently Weill acquired the business and named it Weill's Department Store. A . . . — Map (db m55123) HM
In the decades after the end of the Civil War, an unstable economy created economic and social turmoil in the United States. People looking for opportunity migrated to the West.
The Kern County Land Company founded the Rosedale Colony . . . — Map (db m25678) HM
The discovery of gold in California in 1849 started one of the greatest migrations in American history.
After moving west to seek their fortune in California, people living in mining camps had to travel long distances to a large city . . . — Map (db m25143) HM
In 1855 gold was discovered in the Kern Valley. Miners flocked here from throughout the world to get in on what was believed to be California's second great gold rush. Towns sprung up in the area but many were abandoned within a few years when the . . . — Map (db m51825) HM
She was one of the mightiest battleships of her time, measuring 608 feet in length and 97 feet at the widest point in her beam. She carried twelve 14 inch guns in four turrets and 22.5 inch .51 caliber guns. Her displacement was 31,400 tons with a . . . — Map (db m75886) WM
This is one of the original twenty mule team wagons, built to carry borax out of Death Valley – through 165 miles of desolated mountains and blistering deserts – to the nearest railroad junction in Mojave. It took 20 days to make the . . . — Map (db m50450) HM
A lone tree landmark on an old trans-valley trail. It was an ancient Yokuts Indian meeting place, later a location for white stock rodeos. Miller and Lux established their headquarters and store here about 1885. The town of Buttonwillow takes its . . . — Map (db m50251) HM
Named for Edward F. Beale this station on the Southern Pacific rail line was established in 1876 as a depot and telegraph office. Service was discontinued in 1943. Beale was Superintendent of California Indian Affairs during the 1850’s. In 1865 he . . . — Map (db m50253) HM
Originally known as Allen's Camp after Gabriel Allen, who in the 1870s had a cabin and stock pasture near here, the settlement was named Caliente when railroad construction reached this point in April 1875. The town became a railroad terminal for . . . — Map (db m11935) HM
The Randsburg Mojave Road was built by Rice & Shippee of Mojave to speed stage transportation from the Southern Pacific railroad station at Mojave, to the rich gold mines in the Randsburg area; service commenced on November 22, 1898. The stage left . . . — Map (db m78529) HM
This spring was on the old Indian Horsethief Trail and later (1834) Joe Walker Trail. The famished Manly-Jayhawk Death Valley parties (1849-50) were revived here after coming from Indian Wells through Last Chance Canyon. The was also a station on . . . — Map (db m50247) HM
Florence Leontine Lowe was born July 29, 1901 in Pasadena. Through an arranged marriage in 1921, she became the wife of a minister, Rankin Barnes. She ended her relationship with him a few years after bearing a son, Billy.
Florence acquired the . . . — Map (db m51666) HM
Has been designated a
National Historic Landmark.
This property possesses national significance
in commemorating the history of the
United States of America.
Forty Acres embodies and conveys multiple layers of national significance . . . — Map (db m54836) HM
About February 1, 1827, Jedediah Strong Smith, first American to reach Mexican California overland, passed near this spot with his party of fur trappers. From San Gabriel Mission, the group was en route north to a land reported teeming with 'plenty . . . — Map (db m51855) HM
On Oct. 2, 1942, a Bell XP-59A Aircraft powered by Twin General Electric Type 1-A Engines introduced Jet Flight to America. This new age began here at Edwards Air Force Base as the XP-59A lifted from Rogers Dry Lake with Bell Test Pilot Robert M. . . . — Map (db m53125) HM
During her extraordinary 40-year flying career, aviation pioneer Jacqueline "Jackie" Cochran established more speed, altitude and distance records than any other pilot, male or female, in aviation history. While flying a USAF F-88A Sabre here at . . . — Map (db m53124) HM
On October 14, 1947 42,000 feet above this
monument, Captain Chuck Yeager, USAF, piloting a Bell X-1 rocket airplane named Glamour Glennis, became the first person to exceed Mach 1. With this flight, the era of supersonic aviation was born. . . . — Map (db m52625) HM
The first prototye B-52 took to the air on 15 April 1952. Nearly 750 B-52’s were eventually built, of which 170 were –Ds. Records set by B-52s included the world’s first non-stop round-the-world flight by a jet aircraft and the first hydrogen . . . — Map (db m64590) HM
Originally developed as a private venture to meet a USAF requirement for a twin jet utility trainer, the prototype T-39 made its first flight on 16 September 1958. In all, 143 T-39A’s and six T-39B’s were built for the USAF. Another 62 T-39’s were . . . — Map (db m64619) HM
Originally developed from the McDonnell XF-88 penetration fighter, the F-101 was designed as a long-range bomber escort for the Strategic Air Command. The prototype made its first flight at Edwards AFB in September 1954. When high-speed, . . . — Map (db m62135) HM
The first XF-104 made its initial flight here at Edwards AFB in February 1954. In May 1958, a YF-104A set a world speed record of 1,404.19 mph over Edwards, and in December 1959, an F-104C set a world altitude record of 103, 395 feet here. The . . . — Map (db m62133) HM
The YF-105 completed its maiden flight at Edwards AFB in October 1955, easily exceeding Mach One, even though it was powered by a J57 engine - much less powerful than its projected power plant, the J75. The D-model “Thud” added water . . . — Map (db m62132) HM
The F-106 Delta Dart had a long and illustrious career at Edwards AFB. The prototype A-model made its first flight here on 26 Dec 56. On 15 Dec 59, Col Joe Rogers piloted as F-106 A to a world speed record of 1,525.695 mph (Mach 2.41) here. In Apr . . . — Map (db m62130) HM
The F-111A was the world’s first production variable-sweep wing fighter. It completed its maiden flight on 21 December 1964, at Carswell AFB, Texas. The aircraft could exceed twice the speed of sound (Mach 2) by sweeping its wings rearward while in . . . — Map (db m64615) HM
When first flown at Edwards AFB on January 20, 1974, the YF-16 was the most advance fighter in the world. The F-16B is a combat-capable two-seat version of the production F-16A. To date, over 4,000 F-16s have been manufactured worldwide and 122 B . . . — Map (db m63609) HM
The Republic YF-84F prototype (a modified F-84E straight-wing officially designated YF-96A) completed its hour-long first flight at Edwards in June 1950. The first flight of the revised F-model prototype, with its distinctly deeper fuselage profile, . . . — Map (db m64620) HM
The F-86, the Nation’s first swept-wing jet fighter, made its initial flight at what is now Edwards AFB on October 1, 1947. The first production model flew on May 20, 1948 and on September 15, 1948 an F-86A streaked to a world-record 670.9 mph. . . . — Map (db m63607) HM
Flown 37 times by Nasa's Flight Research Center,
Edwards Air Force Base, California
First Flight December 22, 1966
Final Flight July 17,1970
Maxium Speed and Altitude Records for
Lifting Bodies Held By The HL-10:
Mach 1.86 (1228 . . . — Map (db m64025) HM
The United States Air Force has always relied upon the application of leading-edge technologies to fulfill its mission of airpower projection. From the XP-59 of 1942 to the B-2, C-17, and F-22 of today, the Flight Test Center has been essential to . . . — Map (db m63608) HM
The Meteor was Britain’s first operational jet aircraft and the only operational Allied jet to see service in World War II. The prototype, designated G.41, completed its first flight in March 1943 under the power of two de Havilland H-1 turbojets. . . . — Map (db m64595) HM
The Phantom II, first flown in May 1958, was developed as a fleet defense interceptor for the U.S. Navy. After entering Navy service in 1961, the USAF evaluated it at Edwards AFB to fill a fighter-bomber requirement. In 1963 production F-4Cs began . . . — Map (db m64623) HM
Thor was the free world’s first operational intermediate range ballistic missile (IRBM). It was 65 feet long, 8 feet in diameter and weighed 105,000 pounds. Douglas Aircraft was the prime contractor. The missile utilized a single stage North . . . — Map (db m64589) HM
The T-28B was originally developed as a U.S. Navy basic trainer and completed its maiden flight on 6 April 1953. Nearly 500 were built. Early models of the Trojan were tested at Edwards beginning shortly after the plane’s first flight in 1949. A . . . — Map (db m64596) HM
The two-seat T-33 was developed from the single-seat F-80 fighter by lengthening the fuselage slightly more than three feet to accommodate a second cockpit. It was originally designated TF-80C and made its first flight in March 1948. It quickly . . . — Map (db m64593) HM
The F-102 was developed from the Convair XF-92 delta wing research aircraft of the late 1940s and the prototype made its initial flight in October 1953 at Edwards AFB. It became operational with the Air Defense Command in 1956. At the peak of . . . — Map (db m62134) HM
The medal of honor is the highest U.S. military decoration awarded to individuals who, while serving in the U.S. armed services, have distinguished themselves by conspicuous gallantry and courage at the risk of life, above . . . — Map (db m62138) WM
The Beech C-45 was the Army Air Force version of the Beech Aircraft Corporation’s Model B-18S commercial transport. The popular “Beech 18” also appeared as the AT-7 and AT-11 bombing and navigation trainers (Navy designation . . . — Map (db m64592) HM
Only two-seat A-10 made
Fairchild Republic Company’s two-place night/adverse weather A-10 began flight tests at Air Force Flight Test Center at Edwards AFB in May 1979. It was converted by Fairchild from one of six pre-production single place . . . — Map (db m64624) HM
The Corsair II was designed to meet a 1963 Navy requirement for a light attack plane to replace the A-4. The Navy’s A-7A made its first flight in September 1965. Two months later, the Air Force settled on the A-7 as a low-cost way to provide . . . — Map (db m64614) HM
Two built by McDonnell Douglas (now Boeing) as Advanced Medium STOL Transport (AMST) with Short Take Off and Landing ability.
First flight 26 Aug 1975, landing at Edwards AFB. Pioneered supercritical wing on large aircraft; advanced airlift state . . . — Map (db m62137) HM
The F-100 was the USAF’s first operational aircraft capable of flying faster than the speed of sound (760 mph) in level flight. The prototype YF-100A made its initial flight on 25 May 1953 and the first production aircraft was completed on October . . . — Map (db m62136) HM
El Camino Viejo (The Old Highway) began as an inland trail prior to 1800. It was originally a refugee route running between present day San Pedro in Southern California to the East Oakland area in the north. It was used by Indians, trappers, . . . — Map (db m52115) HM
Kern County’s oldest residence. Built before Civil War by Thomas Fitzgerald as trading post at junction of two Indian trails. Present Greenhorn Road follows east – west trail (later McFarlane Toll Road) to Kern River mining districts. Town . . . — Map (db m25032) HM
In 1854 John C. Reid filed a squatter’s claim on this spot. This same year Kern County’s first school class was held here. In 1859 David Lavers, with his father and brother, John, built a hotel and stage barn on the Old Bull Road. The crossing was . . . — Map (db m25323) HM
William Lynn completed his Bull Road past this site from Linn’s Valley across Greenhorn Mountain to Keyesville in 1856. This freight route was used until the opening of the McFarlane Toll Road through Glennville en route to the Kern River Mines in . . . — Map (db m25196) HM
Wm. B. Rose, in 1875, a mile east; built an adobe stage station on the site of the Overland Mail Way Station established 1858. From 1853 to 1875 site was known as Rancho Canoa (trough). Originally vaquero camp of the Sebastian Indian Reservation. . . . — Map (db m20196) HM
The Sebastian or Tejon Indian Reservation (headquarters 10 miles east of here) was established in 1853 by Gen. Edward Fitzgerald Beale as one of several California Reservations. The number of Indians quartered here varied from 500 to 2000. General . . . — Map (db m20161) HM
This is the site of the first Catholic Church St. Josephs and Cemetery built in Kern County in August 1866. It was established by Father Francis Dade, the circuit priest headquartered in Visalia. The Catholic Church here in Havilah was moved to . . . — Map (db m89215) HM
Gold deposits at Havilah were discovered in 1864. Havilah was the county seat between 1866, when Kern County was organized, and 1872, when the government was moved to Bakersfield. Havilah was an active mining center for more than 20 years, and there . . . — Map (db m51821) HM
The last stage coach robbery in Kern County occurred near here on August 26, 1896. The Kernville stage to Caliente was held-up by a lone gunman on horseback who got $1,700 in coin and gold bullion from the Wells Fargo strong box. He did not molest . . . — Map (db m83415) HM
This Railroad Siding, established in 1909,
was the beginning of the town of
In celebration of its 100th anniversary,
it is with pride that the
Inyokern Chamber of Commerce
contributes this commemorative . . . — Map (db m50242) HM
In 1834 explorer Joseph R. Walker passed this junction of Indian trails after discovering nearby Walker Pass. Death Valley 49er parties here diverged west and south after their escape from Death Valley enroute to the California gold fields. Later . . . — Map (db m50244) HM
Indian water hole on Joseph R. Walker trail of 1834 where Manly-Jayhawker parties of 1849 found their first water after five days of travel from Argus Range. During 1860's was site of stage and freight station from Los Angeles to Coso and Cerro . . . — Map (db m50243) HM
In memory of
Major Michael Adams, USAF,
The First In-Flight Fatality
of the American Space Program
On November 15, 1967 Adams conducted a sub-orbital space flight with the mission of performing six scientific . . . — Map (db m92271) HM
One of the richest silver strikes occurred in the community of Red Mountain. The Kelly and Grady claims started a silver boom which brought prosperity to this region in the 1900's. In one 60 day period over $170,000 in silver was mined from a hole . . . — Map (db m78593) HM
A fifth generation native of Kern River Valley, Bob is best remembered for the 9 history books he wrote. Without him much of what happened in our valley’s past would have been lost. He was a cowboy, cattleman, ranger, family man and historian. But . . . — Map (db m25238) HM
Kernville called Whiskey Flat until 1864, was founded in 1860 when Adam Hamilton, whiskey dealer, moved shop here from more temperate Quartzburg, founded earlier that year. Both camps resulted from the discovery of the Big Blue Ledge by . . . — Map (db m25169) HM
American Prisoners of War and Missing in Action
The Loneliest Prayer
As I squat here in this lonely place
A man maybe even you forgot,
Am I in living hell?
Am I alive or not?
I think its more than ten . . . — Map (db m27367) HM
In 1910 this was Camp 8 – the end of the road. From this uppermost camp a rough wagon track pushed one and one half miles up the river to where Southern California Edison Company constructed the intake for Kern River No. 3 Power Plant.
In . . . — Map (db m83825) HM
Near this spot at the confluence of the north and south forks of the Kern River the Theodore Talbot Party of Captain John C. Fremont’s third expedition to the West camped for several weeks during December 1845 and January 1846. The river was named . . . — Map (db m25092) HM
Located to the northwest of here, Isabella, a ranching and mining town, was named by Steven Barton in 1893, after Queen Isabella of Spain, Patron of Christopher Columbus. A post office was established here in 1896. In 1953 the community was moved a . . . — Map (db m76872) HM
Jefferson Davis, “Father of National Highways,” as Secretary of War 1853-57 sponsored the importation of 33 camels for transporting military supplies to the west coast. The camel trail survey ran from San Antonio, Texas to Fort Tejon . . . — Map (db m32823) HM
In 1772, Don Pedro Fages, leaving the first written record of explorations in the south San Joaquin Valley, passed this site, traveling from San Diego to San Luis Obispo via Cajón Pass, Mojave Desert, Hughes Lake, Antelope Valley, Tejón Pass, Cañada . . . — Map (db m20132) HM
This military post was established by the United States Army on June 24, 1854, to suppress stock rustling and for the protection of Indians in the San Joaquin Valley. As regimental headquarters of the First Dragoons, Fort Tejón was an important . . . — Map (db m81718) HM
This memorial plaque placed in memory of
Lieutenant Edward Fitzgerald Beale
First Superintendent of Indian
Affairs in California appointed
by President Millard Fillmore
Sanctioned by the United States
government the Tejon Indian . . . — Map (db m32213) HM
In 1856 the U.S. Army started an experiment using camel for supply transport in the southwest. The camels proved ill suited to the American southwest.
In November 1859 a civilian contractor turned over 28 camels to the Army at Fort Tejon. . . . — Map (db m32821) HM
America's most spectacular gusher blew in here on March 14, 1910. Initially 18,000 barrels per day, the flow later reached an uncontrolled peak of 100,000 barrels per day, completely destroying the derrick. This Union Oil Company well produced nine . . . — Map (db m54267) HM
Rising above the Carrizo Plain is Painted Rock, an important cultural and spiritual site to California’s native peoples. Most of the pictographs, or painted images found on Painted Rock, are characteristic of the Chumash who lived on the Channel . . . — Map (db m52158) HM
Eight miles due west of this marker stood one of California's first commercial oil refineries. Between August 1864 and April 1867, approximately 4,000 gallons of illuminating oil produced there was shipped to San Francisco by the Buena Vista . . . — Map (db m78295) HM
Located one-eigth mile west of here is ancient asphaltum seepage in which hundreds of Pleistocene (15,000 - 50,000 years ago) birds and animals were trapped. Site first explored in 1925 by the University of California, with excavation completed in . . . — Map (db m42707) HM
In 1772, Don Pedro Fages, first recorded non-Indian to visit the southern San Joaquin Valley, crossed this spot on his way from San Diego to San Luis Obispo. Near this point crossed Father José María de Zalvidea in 1806, while accompanying the Ruiz . . . — Map (db m54266) HM
Six miles east of this point was the site of the Butterfield Stage Line station Sinks of Tejón. Operating through present Kern County during 1858-61, this famous line ran from St. Louis, Missouri to San Francisco until the outbreak of the Civil War. — Map (db m51679) HM
This display commemorates the Mojave area's rich mining history, which began with the discovery of gold on the Little Buttes north of the present day Silver Queen Road.
That discovery by W.W.Bowers was followed by many others in the region, . . . — Map (db m53129) HM
"Josie" was born on June 18, 1875 in Silver City, New Mexico to Harvey and Harriet Whitehall. At 19 years old, she taught school in Pinos Altos, New Mexico. She married Herbert Hall Bishop on March 4, 1896, bearing him seven children. The Bishops . . . — Map (db m78560) HM
Just west of this point was the Southern Pacific terminus for the 20-mule-team borax wagons that operated between Death Valley and Mojave from 1884 to 1889. The route ran from the Harmony Borax Mining Company works, later acquired by the Pacific . . . — Map (db m11928) HM
The Mojave Airport was created in 1935 as part of the Kern County Airport System. The fledgling airport was built to serve gold mines near Mojave. At the outset of World War Two, the airport became a Marine Corps Air Station that trained Marine . . . — Map (db m53126) HM
Far better it is to dare mighty thinkigs...even through checkered by failure, than to rank with those timid spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.
Theodore . . . — Map (db m53128) HM
In dedication to the pilots, air crews and personnel of Mojave, who trained, served and gave their lives in the service of this country, especially to those who valiantly fought for freedom in the great battles of World War II and Korea.
Semper . . . — Map (db m53280) HM
The 1/5 scale flying model of Voyager was built by Glenn Dunlap of Cincinnati, Ohio, and donated to the Mojave Transportation Museum Foundation in 2009.
The original Voyager, designed by Burt Rutan and built at Mojave . . . — Map (db m53127) HM
In May 1899, Thomas A. Means owned the land where James and Jonathan Elwood discovered oil on the North Bank of the Kern River. They used a hand auger under the edge of the cliff checking for oil, and later moved to the top to drill. Oil surfaced . . . — Map (db m64665) HM
This mural depicts Oildale around 1899, from the bridge to the surrounding oil derricks on the hills.
Oildale was called "Waits" during the oil boom.
To your right is Waits Train Station, on Norris Rd.
Several business sprang up, and . . . — Map (db m64663) HM
William Scodie, born in 1827 in Prussia, originally moved to Keyesville in 1856 and opened an eating establishment. He relocated to this area in 1861 operating a way-station from his house. Stocking his front room with . . . — Map (db m51862) HM
Discovered by Joseph R. Walker, American trail-blazer who left the San Joaquin Valley through this pass in 1834. This area was traversed by topographer Edward M. Kern, after whom the Kern River was named, while accompanying the Fremont expedition of . . . — Map (db m71071) HM
In October of 1897 Mr. Jones opened a dry good store in Randsburg. His building was wiped out in the great fire of May 1898, but saved most of his stock by placing it in a fireproof cellar. After the fire he immediately built a new adobe building . . . — Map (db m53854) HM
In 1896 Eugene Garlock constructed a stamp mill near this spot for the crushing of gold ore from the Yellow Aster Mine on Rand Mountain. Known originally as Cow Wells, by prospectors and freighters during the 1880’s and early 1890’s, the town of . . . — Map (db m51672) HM
Rand Camp began as a tent city, erected by eager miners who rushed to the Mojave Desert following a major gold discovery in April 1895. A year later, the town of 1,500 had been renamed "Randsburg." Saloons sprouted, a U.S. Post Office was . . . — Map (db m53869) HM
The Yellow Aster, or Rand Mine, was discovered in April, 1895 by Singleton Burcham and Mooers. The town of Randsburg quickly developed followed by the supply town of Johannesburg in 1896. Both names were adopted from the profusion of minerals . . . — Map (db m50461) HM
Nicholas N. Miller – Randsburg Drug Store
Nicholas Miller, a native of Michigan, came to Randsburg in December of 1896 and opened a drug store a month later. He was burnt out in both fires of 1898 losing $4,000 in the last fire and an . . . — Map (db m53851) HM
Gold was discovered on the slope of Rand Mountain in 1895. From this discovery, the town of Randsburg sprang up almost overnight. By 1899, the town had over 3500 residents. Randsburg boasted a 100-stamp mill and conservative estimates are that . . . — Map (db m78578) HM
Few local miners still burrow underground, lured by the rich yellow gleam of gold. Most gold now recovered from California’s Rand Mining District is microscopic in size, and so finely dispersed that it is invisible to the naked eye. Rock containing . . . — Map (db m53870) HM
The Commercial Hotel
The mining boom of 1922 created a demand for more hotels. To help fill this demand Mrs. Artibe had the Commercial Hotel built in 1922. The lumber for this hotel was finished by the Johannesburg Lumber Company.
My Place . . . — Map (db m53856) HM
Ray and Olga Guyett purchased this building in the 1950’s and established The Joint, restaurant and bar. The Joint has been the center of Randsburg’s social life for over forty years and has the distinction of being the longest run . . . — Map (db m53853) HM
The Whitehouse Saloon
The Whitehouse Saloon was thought to first open as Whitehouse in the late “Teens” under the management of H.B. “Moses” Elder and his brother Emmett Elder. It was closed down by Prohibition in 1920 . . . — Map (db m53855) HM
A Monument to
Determination and Perserverance
William Henry "Burro" Schmidt
Took thirty eight years to hand dig this
half-mile long tunnel--Completed in 1936
Born in Rhode Island, January 30, 1871
Died in Ridgecrest, Calif., January . . . — Map (db m89221) HM
Visited by Padre Garces (1776) while following Old Horse Thief Trace later known as Joe Walker Trail. Fremont stopped here (1844). The famished Jayhawk Party (1850) found water here while struggling from Death Valley to Los Angeles. Still later was . . . — Map (db m50248) HM
Willow Springs was a stage station on the Los Angeles-Havilah Stage Lines, 1864-1874. From here light traffic went through Oak Creek Pass via Tehachapi to Havilah and Kernville; heavy traffic went northwest to the Inyo mines, or via Jawbone Canyon . . . — Map (db m50249) HM
The Shafter Cotton Research Station, established here in 1922 by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, developed the "Acala" varieties which were exceptionally well suited to the San Joaquin Valley. The quality of the acala cottons and the marketing . . . — Map (db m52055) HM
This plaque at Shafter Airport commemorates the world's first man-powered flight to complete the Kremer Circuit, August 23, 1977. The circuit, a figure eight around two pylons one-half mile apart, was completed in six minutes, twenty-two seconds. . . . — Map (db m52057) HM
As Taft’s first 100 years is being celebrated in 2010, let’s look back to see from where we came. Taft got its start when the railroad laid tracks to Taft and beyond. Siding Number Two was where it all started along the tracks in the vicinity of 2nd . . . — Map (db m54388) HM
In memory of the men,
women and children who
were the pioneers of the
Midway Sunset Oilfields,
never to be forgotten. This
cemetery was established
November 1911 by
William Brooks of the Taft
Undertaking Company on
land supplied by . . . — Map (db m88604) HM
Constructed on the basic plan of Sutter’s original fort one hundred years after its erection in Sacramento by that distinguished pioneer Captain John Augustus Sutter. The building of this replica of one of the most outstanding landmarks to the early . . . — Map (db m54394) HM
Built of native adobe, The Fort is a replica of Sutter's Fort in Sacramento, originally it was built to accommodate county, state, and federal officers, as well as be utilized as a town hall. The Fort was dedicated on May 22, 1940. — Map (db m54397) HM
The Jameson # 17 oil derrick, which was drilled in 1917 and produced until
the 1980’s, was scheduled to be torn down. In 1974 the local American
Association of University Women and several dedicated people convinced
Jameson Oil Company to donate . . . — Map (db m88603) HM
The oldest settlement in Tehachapi Valley, known as 'Old Town,' was established here during the 1860s. It was long an important station on the road between Southern California and the San Joaquin Valley, the community began to decline when residents . . . — Map (db m11913) HM
A street dance held in 1915 commemorated the first electric streetlights installed in Tehachapi. The site of the dance was the corner of Green and F Street. The building there housed the Masonic Lodge and Post Office in 1915, and the mural shows the . . . — Map (db m53119) HM
The arrastra was a very primitive way of milling or crushing gold ore, using a mule walking in a circle and “drag” stones, a method brought to the New World by the Spaniards. The Tehachapi Heritage League moved the arrastra to this . . . — Map (db m50254) HM
Located on the northeast corner of "D" and Green Streets, this house was built in 1880 by August Weferling. The redwood tree in front was planted the day he married his second wife, Luella Duty Weferling (an early Tehachapi businesswoman), in 1905. — Map (db m52801) HM
B.M.Denison House - Located on the northeast corner of "D" and Curry Streets, this house was constructed entirely from cedar wood in 1898 by B.M. Denison. He planted the first commercial Barlett Pear orchard along Curry Street.
1880s . . . — Map (db m52811) HM
Originally opened in 1936, the Beekay Theatre survived the historic earthquake of 1952 and endured a number of façade changes before burning in the 1990’s. The reconstruction preserves the original façade behind, which lies a fully modern theatre. . . . — Map (db m52969) HM
The Sacrifices of few ensured the freedom of many. A grateful community remembers those who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during time of war and peace, whose courage and personal sacrifices defended and preserved our freedom. — Map (db m79895) WM
This house was built by Dr. Russell Peery in the 1890s. It was originally constructed in Cummings Valley for use as a hotel and spa. Later dismantled, it was moved to the present site. In 1928, it was used as a high school, and continued until . . . — Map (db m52813) HM
The Erra family occupied this dwelling for 75 years. The structure was built by a doctor in "Old Town" (or "Tehichipa") 4 miles west of Tehachapi between 1870 and 1875. It was moved to this location on log rollers about 1900. It is the only . . . — Map (db m52800) HM
The current building, which was built to house the post office, replaced two older houses. It is now privately owned and houses offices of local businesses.
Across the alley behind the building, there was once a small, tin building that housed . . . — Map (db m71108) HM
The Richfield Service Station was built here in 1921 by Jack and "Doro" (Theodore) Leiva, who operated the station and adjoining cabins for travelers for over 50 years. It was named the Bartlett Richfield Station due to the many Bartlett Pear trees . . . — Map (db m52895) HM
236 markers matched your search criteria. The first 200 markers were listed. Next 36