|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Algoma — Brickyards|
|After the disastrous fires that swept through Kewaunee County in 1871, a more substantial building material was sought and brickyards made their appearance in several locations in the county.
A good supply of clay located in the area between here and Division Street (three blocks to the west) provided the major raw material needed to make bricks. When the supply of clay diminished after a few years, a new brickyard was established nearby. This yard was in operation until about 1910. Many . . . — Map (db m17490) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Algoma — Christmas Tree Ship Point|
|52 Schooners transporting Christmas trees to Milwaukee and Chicago passed this point in the 1800's.|
Captain Herman Schuenemann of the Christmas Tree Ship, "Rouse Simmons", was born in Algoma.
One of the 52 schooners, "Lady Ellen" is located upriver between the two bridges in its final resting place. — Map (db m38986) HM
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Algoma — Officer Ronald L. Leist — 1939 — 1969|
the call of duty
Police Officer Ronald Leist
sacrificed his life
in a heroic
attempt to rescue
a drowning man
in the Algoma Harbor
on Oct. 9, 1969 — Map (db m15056) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Algoma — Schooner Daniel Lyons — Historic Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails|
Type: Wooden Schooner, three masted
Built: 1873, George Goble, Oswego, N.Y.
Sank: October 18, 1878
Length: 138’ Beam: 26’
Depth of Wreckage: 110’
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places
About eight miles northeast of here, the wooden schooner Daniel Lyons rests 110 feet beneath Lake Michigan’s waves. The three-masted Daniel Lyons delivered grain to ports around the Great Lakes in the 1870s, until a collision sent her to the bottom in the . . . — Map (db m56036) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Algoma — The Kewaunee County Piers|
|This was once the site of a small, bustling, waterfront community typical of many others in Kewaunee County. By the mid-1800's, as large numbers of settlers moved into the rural areas of the newly formed county, efficient transportation became a necessity. Since an overland transportation system was practically nonexistent, the settlers turned to Lake Michigan and the Bay of Green Bay.
Numerous piers were constructed along the shoreline with stores, sawmills, blacksmith shops, hotels, . . . — Map (db m17468) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Kewaunee — Barge "Emerald"|
Tribute and Memorium
who went down with the
within sight of this point,
on Nov. 18, 1886.
Sponsored and erected by
H. J. Baumeister.
May 30, 1938. — Map (db m60043) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Kewaunee — 136 — Car – Ferry Service|
|Kewaunee, Green Bay & Western Railroad ferry slip No. 1, to your right, is the point where car-ferry service across Lake Michigan began. On Sunday, November 27, 1892, Ann Arbor Railroad car-ferry No. 1 loaded 22 cars of flour which originated at Minneapolis and were destined to England, Scotland and Ireland – the first boatload of box cars to be transported across Lake Michigan – a service later extended to other ports. — Map (db m11760) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Kewaunee — Father Marquette|
the Holy Sacrifice of Mass
on this spot
November 1, 1674. — Map (db m11679) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Kewaunee — Kewaunee Marsh Arsenic Spill Area — Train derailment and Arsenic spill|
|Why is the fence here? The fence is to limit access to a contaminated area. In the early days the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources (WDNR) was contacted by a hunter that an area within the boundaries of the wildlife refuge was devoid of vegetation, and the area surrounding the void was severely distressed. The WDNR collected soil and water samples from the area and found high concentrations of arsenic. The C.D. Besadny wildlife area consists of over 22,000 acres of state-owned property . . . — Map (db m39114) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Luxemburg — Bank of Luxemburg|
|Bank of Luxemburg was founded in 1902 by a group of
prominent farmers and busnessmen. In 1903 a state
charter was granted and the bank formally began
operations in what was known as the Wisconsin House.
On June 20, 1904, the bank proceeded to erect its first
bank building across the street from
the Wisconsin House.
Having outgrown its original structure, a new
building on the corner of Main and Elm Streets was
authorized for construction at a special shareholders
meeting on April . . . — Map (db m74985) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Luxemburg — South Luxemburg|
Arriving in the mid-1850s, early settlers to this area encountered forested land accessible only by narrow, winding trails. The journey from Green Bay required a day or two of long, difficult travel. With hard work and simple hand tools, the land was slowly cleared. Agriculture became the main occupation. Businesses were established and a church was built. The community reportedly was called Luxemburg after the homeland of some of the early families that settled here.
The . . . — Map (db m74973) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Luxemburg — Voie de la Liberte — Road of Freedom|
This Milestone Marker was presented to the Village of Luxemburg, Wisconsin in 1994. It is to remind people of the path of hardship and the triumphant progress of the soldiers of the 3rd U.S. Army, from the Allied landing in Normandy on June 6, 1944, to the Battle of the Bulge (Bastogne) and the final liberation of France, Belgium and Luxumbourg. There are 1,182 milestones marking out the Liberty Road. Three Milestone Markers, were presented, one each to Luxemburg, WI, . . . — Map (db m74286) HM|
|Wisconsin (Kewaunee County), Norman — The Norman General Store|
|The focal point of any crossroads community in this area include a church, a saloon, a
general store and a cheese factory where milk was turned into a marketable product.
Norman, a Czech heritage community founded in the 1850's was no exception. the
Pelnar family opened a "hotel and saloon" on this site in 1876. The summer kitchen
was added in the 1880's. John Riha acquired the property in 1890 and built the
adjacent home in 1904. The general store of today was actually moved to this site . . . — Map (db m39475) HM|