HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Kosciusko County Markers
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Atwood — Highland Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Highland Cemetery Established 1861 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2011 Indiana Historical Bureau and Harrison Township Map (db m75540) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Leesburg — Leesburg Sesquicentennial — 1833 - 1983
Grinding stones from gristmill of Levi Lee, founder of the town of Leesburg. The mill was located in Section 21, Twp. 33N., Range 6E., 2½ mi. S/E of Leesburg on the Tippecanoe River. — Map (db m72523) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Mentone — 43.1995.1 — Lawrence D. Bell
Born in Mentone, Lawrence D. Bell (1894-1956) became one of America's foremost aviation pioneers. He founded Bell Aircraft Corporation in Buffalo, New York, 1935. Advanced aircraft manufactured included Bell helicopters, America's first jet, and Bell X-1, first plane to fly faster than speed of sound. — Map (db m45491) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Milford — Brumbaugh Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Brumbaugh Cemetery Established 1840 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2009 Indiana Historical Bureau and Jefferson Township Trustee, Beth Krull Map (db m75291) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Milford — Milford World War I Veterans — 1917 - 1918
In honor of the World War Veterans of this community Harold Archer • Clarence L. Arnold • Earl Blaine Arnold • Leroy Harrison Arnold • Russell Baker • Joseph C. Baumgartner • Otto Beer • Charles Lloyd Bell • Fred Bettz • Arthur Ray Biller • Jesse Biller • George James Brown • Ronald Whetten Brown • Fredrick William Buhrt • William Fredrick Buhrt • Fred Wilmer Butt • John Alvin Clause • Clarence Cleo Clayton • Donald George Clayton • Shirely Thomas Clayton • Carl James Coy • Albert Darkwood • . . . — Map (db m16280) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Milford — Milford World Wars Honor Roll
World War I Honored Dead Ancil Geiger • Charles Frederick Neal • Jesse E. Smith World War II Honored Dead Lewis E. Auer • Roy N. Auer • Robert L. Collins • Charles LeCount • Alvin J. Merkle • Harry J. Michael • Charles E. Remy • Charles H. Rogers • Howard C. Stiffler • Ora Stout • Joe A. Tribble (Center Panel) In memory of Mr. and Mrs. Charles A. Sparklin who gave this site to Town of Milford Oct. 18, 1935 for park and municipal purposes (Left . . . — Map (db m16279) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Milford — Mount Pleasant Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Mount Pleasant Cemetery Established 1882 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2010 Indiana Historical Bureau and Van Buren Township Trustee, Elizabeth Winchester Map (db m75290) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Milford — Salem Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Salem Cemetery Established 1844 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2010 Indiana Historical Bureau and Van Buren Township Trustee, Elizabeth Winchester Map (db m75289) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), North Webster — 43.1968.1 — Continental Divide
This divide separates the Great Lakes drainage system from the Mississippi River drainage system. — Map (db m44934) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), North Webster — Greider / Oak Grove Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Greider / Oak Grove Cemetery Established 1868 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2009 Indiana Historical Bureau and Tippecanoe Township Trustee, Thomas Reiff Map (db m75276) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), North Webster — Mock Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Mock Cemetery Established 1832 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2009 Indiana Historical Bureau and Tippecanoe Township Trustee, Thomas Reiff Map (db m75278) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), North Webster — North Webster Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
North Webster Cemetery Established 1842 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2009 Indiana Historical Bureau and Tippecanoe Township Trustee, Thomas Reiff Map (db m73305) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), North Webster — The Dixie — Indiana's Oldest Sternwheel Paddle Boat
LENGTH: 76', WIDTH: 17.5', DISPLACEMENT: 35 tons, DRAFT: 14-22" Built by Captain Joseph Breeck and launched in 1929 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places Sept. 24, 2009 UNITED STATES DEPT. OF THE INTERIOR INDIANA DEPT. OF NATURAL RESOURCES DIVISION OF HISTORIC PRESERVATION AND ARCHAEOLOGY This tour boat is a steel-hulled, sternwheel powered vessel. In its early years, the boat served as a floating grocery store, blacksmith shop and mail carrier for . . . — Map (db m73267) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Oswego — Pound General Store and Post Office
Historic Landmark Oswego Pound General Store and Post Office Built 1838 Listed in National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m73264) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Pierceton — Washington / Union Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Washington / Union Cemetery Established 1853 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2011 Indiana Historical Bureau and Washington Township Trustee, Dean Rhoades Map (db m73306) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Syracuse — Crosson Park
This park was named for Samuel Crosson co-founder of Syracuse. In 1834, Samuel Crosson and Henry Ward built the first mill in the county on this site. The mill was destroyed by high water in 1837. The state constructed a cement dam in 1921. Eli Lilly financed the building of the present dam in 1964. The park was established in 1930. — Map (db m73208) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Syracuse — 43.1962.2 — Indian Hill
Indians formerly wrapped their dead and secured them in the trees here. At the time of white settlement the wrappings were disintegrating and the bones were falling to the ground. — Map (db m44937) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Syracuse — Last Tract of Land Owned by Miami
1837—1937    One hundred years ago, the last tract of land owned by the Miami Indians, who inhabited this territory, was turned over to the government. All titles to land in this vicinity date back to 1837.    This stone commemorates this historic event. September 17, 1937 — Map (db m72590) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Syracuse — 43.1962.1 — Papakeechie's Reserve
Eastbound Side: You are now entering Papakeechie's Reservation, 36 square miles. This Miami Chief, also known as Flat Belly, held this land from 1828 to 1834 when it was returned to the National Government. It was later owned by the Wabash & Erie Canal.

Westbound Side: You are now leaving Papakeechie's Reservation, 36 square miles. This Miami Chief, also known as Flat Belly, held this land from 1828 to 1834 when it was returned to the National Government. It was later owned by the Wabash & Erie Canal. — Map (db m44930) HM

Indiana (Kosciusko County), Syracuse — Samuel Crosson — B. 12 Feb. 1795     D. 28 April 1844
Samuel Crosson and Henry Ward came to this area in July 1835 and established a grist mill and sawmill on Turkey Creek. They founded Syracuse 11 August 1837. Crosson died at the age of 49 years. The burial site of Henry Ward is unknown. — Map (db m74874) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Syracuse — Syracuse Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage
Syracuse Cemetery Established 1836 A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources Installed 2011 Indiana Historical Bureau and Syracuse Cemetery Association Map (db m73207) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.2007.1 — Chinworth Bridge
Built 1897 across Tippecanoe River by Bellefontaine Bridge and Iron Company of Ohio. Single-span 140-foot iron bridge is last remaining Pratt through truss bridge in county. U.S. Highway 30 bypassed it in 1924. Closed to vehicle traffic 1975. Leased by Kosciusko County Historical Society 1975. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1997. — Map (db m44919) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — Chinworth Bridge Trailhead
Welcome! to the Chinworth Bridge Trailhead - Lake City Greenway - Former Tippecanoe Rest Park The history of this area is tied very closely to transportation with the Chinworth Bridge (1897) and U.S. Highway 30 (1926). This scenic 2.5 acre site was purchased for $250.00 from Robert L. And Lillie F. Chinworth by the State of Indiana in 1939 for a rest park adjacent to U.S. 30, part of the National Lincoln Highway. The Tippecanoe Rest Park provided weary motorists with a . . . — Map (db m72546) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — General Tadeusz "Thaddeus" Kosciuszko — Polish Patriot — 1746 - 1817
• American Revolution Engineer 1776 - 1783 • Father of West Point • Head of Philadelphia, Saratoga & Southern Campaign • Awarded Cincinnati Order Medal by George Washington • Fought for freedom of Poland 1784 - 1794 Dedicated to Freedom for All “He is as pure a Son Of Liberty as I have ever known” Thomas Jefferson Map (db m16276) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — Indiana ... Where It All Began!
On September 1, 1912 at a dinner party for automobile manufacturers at the Deutsches Haus in Indianapolis, Carl G. Fisher, President of the Prest-O-Lite Company and father of The Indianapolis 500 unveiled his plan for a highway spanning the country from New York City to California. “A road across the United States! Let’s build it before we’re too old to enjoy it!” Fisher urged the auto executives. A few months after the Indianapolis dinner, Fisher received a letter from Henry Joy, . . . — Map (db m72547) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.1966.1 — Indiana’s Glacier Lakes
About 14,000 years ago melting blocks of ice from the last, or Wisconsin Glacier, formed the kettle-hole lakes of northern Indiana. The largest lake, Wawasee, and the deepest lake, Tippecanoe, are in Kosciusko County. — Map (db m1627) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — Kosciusko County Civil War Memorial
These guns were donated by the government to Posts 114 & 442 G.A.R. and by them presented to Kosciusko County, to be dedicated as a monument to the Union soldiers of 1861-65. Dedicated Oct. 1897 These guns during the War of the Rebellion, commanded the defenses at Port Royal N.C. — Map (db m16282) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.2003.1 — Kosciusko County Jail
This third county jail, including a sheriff’s residence, was built in 1870 by Richard Epperson. Chicago architect, George O. Garnsey designed it in Neo-Gothic Style. Rusticated stonework and turrets create the appearance of a small castle to provide a sense of security and strength. Two-story jail was located behind sheriff’s three-story residence. Listed in National Register of Historic Places 1978. Jail closed and building leased to Kosciusko County Historical Society for first county . . . — Map (db m1625) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — Kosciusko County War Memorial
This memorial is dedicated in memory and in honor of the brave men and women of Kosciusko County who served God and Country in the armed force. Rededicated July 4, 2005 — Map (db m16278) WM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — M3A3 Stuart Tank — 3,427 Produced by American Car & Foundry — September 1942 to September 1943
Honoring 16 million Americans who served and over 405,000 who died in support of freedom, World War II 1941 - 1945 Celebrating the dedication of the National World War II Memorial, Washington, DC, May 29th, 2004 "A Grateful Nation Remembers" Map (db m16275) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — 43.1976.1 — Site of Cowen Grove Seminary
1851-1876 One of the first secondary schools in the area. Built at the call of the Presbyterian Church by Robert Cowen and his wife Jane Cowen Headmistress. A fire of unknown origin burned the Seminary to the ground in December 1879. — Map (db m1624) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — The Lincoln Highway
Was the first "Coast to Coast" road covering 3,389 miles across the U.S.A. The dream of Hoosier Carl G. Fisher, founder of the Indianapolis 500. The Lincoln Highway Association was established on June 1, 1913. The Boy Scouts of America placed markers from "New York to Golden State" on September 1, 1928 as the final project of the LHA to honor our 16th President, Abraham Lincoln. Placed on this 75th Anniversary September 1, 2003 Kosciusko District, Boy Scouts of America — Map (db m68035) HM
Indiana (Kosciusko County), Warsaw — The Lincoln Highway — The Path of Progress
The Lincoln Highway was the first “Coast to Coast” transcontinental highway in the United States constructed from 1913 to 1928 beginning at Times Square in New York City and ending in Lincoln Park in San Francisco. The route spanned almost 3,400 miles passing through 13 states New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Nevada and California. The 1928 re-alignment brought the path through the northern tip of West Virginia. . . . — Map (db m72548) HM
33 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 645 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.