|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 89 — 736th Tank Battalion (M) SP|
September 1943 to March 1944
"The Kid Battalion"
From Normandy to the Elbe:
•Central Europe — Map (db m78563) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 738th Medium Tank Battalion, Special — World War II — 1943 – 1945|
|Dedicated to the men who gave time in their lives to serve honorably and courageously for our country. We take this moment in time to recognize their achievements which were done with pride and dignity.
* * *
Ardennes - Alsace - Rhineland
Central Europe — Map (db m29160) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 95 — 739th Tank Battalion (SP) (ME)|
Ardennes, Rhineland and Central Europe
The 739th Tank Battalion was activated in March 1943 at Fort Lewis, Washington. The officers were from various states, the enlisted personnel from Oklahoma, Texas and Louisiana.
The battalion participated in maneuvers in Oregon, the firing range at Yakima, Washington and special training at Fort Knox, Kentucky.
From January to April, 1944 the unit trained at Camp Bouse, Arizona with the CDL (Gizmo) Tanks, then returned to Fort . . . — Map (db m78558) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 90 — 740th Tank Battalion — Daredevil Tankers|
|The 740th tank battalion was activated at Fort Knox, Ky. on March 1, 1943. It trained at Fort Knox and at Camp Bouse, Az. as a canal defense light (CDL) unit and as a standard medium tank battalion from October 15, 1943 to April 24, 1944 then sailed to England on July 26, 1944. It landed at Utah Beach, Normandy, France on November 1, 1944 and entered combat on December 19, 1944 during the Battle of the Bulge. In it's first half hour of combat, it stopped the furthest advance of the German 1st . . . — Map (db m78562) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 155 — 748th Tank Battalion — "The Rhinos"|
|The 748th Tank Battalion, Medium was activated on 20 August 1942 at Camp Rucker, Alabama. The Rhinos headed for Fort Knox on the 15th of April 1943 for training and on 20 April 1943 were reorganized as a special battalion equipped with CDL spotlights. They departed Fort Knox on 15 July 1943 for Camp Bouse, AZ. On 30 August 1943 they were attached to the 9th Armored Tank Group and arrived at Camp Bouse 1 September 1943 as a Canal Defense Light (CDL) unit. The Rhinos landed at Glasgow, Scotland . . . — Map (db m92814) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — A & C Mercantile Company|
|This building was built prior to 1912. The mercantile was known to do business with the A & C and Swansea railroads in 1916. It has been open continuously since that time. Bouse postmaster Cora L. Johnston moved the US Post Office to the store in 1924.
The Townsend Family bought the A & C in 1942. Elsie Pearl Townsend was postmaster from 1942 to 1962.
In 1943 and 1944 the US Army at Camp Bouse used the A & C as their PX and Post Office.
The A & C Mercantile Co, is still open . . . — Map (db m39504) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — Bouse Homesite|
|Thomas Bouse was born in Mendecino County, California and came here about 1889 as a prospector and built the first two rooms of his home. He ran a small store here. He brought his wife, Katherine, and infant daughter here in 1892. Three more children were born and the house expanded to a rather large two story home with a number of bedrooms on the second floor.
He was bitten on the lower leg by a rattle snake on July 12, 1929 and died 23 hours later in Parker. He was 75 years of age and . . . — Map (db m29070) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — Camp Bouse|
|General George Patton established Camp Bouse in 1943 in the Butler Valley as the site for training over 5,500 carefully screened and qualified volunteers. These soldiers were trained to use a highly secret weapon called the Canal Defense Light. Dubbed the "Gizmo" by the soldiers who operated it, the CDL was a 13-million candlepower searchlight mounted on specialized tanks for the purpose of illuminating the area at night to dazzle the enemy with its flickering light. Troop trains brought the . . . — Map (db m29165) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 96 — Camp Bouse — The 554th Ordnance - Heavy Maintenance Company (Tanks) — 9th Tank Group CDL Project|
|Activated 1 April, 1943 at Camp Perry, OH. Completed basic training and then sent to Ft. Knox, KY. Unit then assigned to Camp Bouse, AZ arriving there 9 November, 1943. Maintaining operation of special tanks named "Leaflets" was specific assignment.
Unit left Camp Bouse 27th April, 1944 for Ft. Hamilton, NY. Boarded the Troop ship, Queen Elizabeth 21 June, 1944 arriving at Grennock, Scotland, 28 June and then departed for Puncheston, Wales.
Boarded an L. S. T. craft at Swansea, . . . — Map (db m78557) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 88 — Camp Bouse — The 701st Tank Battalion|
Central Europe Northern France Rhineland
The 701st tank battalion was activated 3/28/43 at Camp Campbell, KY. Here 553 young men and officers began their journey into history. These men began their basic training and for many saw a tank for the first time.
The 701st relocated to Fort Knox, for further training. The battalion received orders on 12/8/43 to relocate to Camp Bouse, the mysterious secret camp. The men were introduced to the Grant Tank, a WW I designed tank . . . — Map (db m78564) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 86 — Camp Bouse — The 526th A. I. B. - Canal Defense Light Project — Desert Training Center - California – Arizona Maneuver Area|
|Camp Bouse was established in Butler Valley 30 miles behind this monument in Sept. of 1943. It was one of twelve such camps built in the southwestern deserts to harden and train United States troops for service on the battlefields of World War II. The desert training center was a simulated theater of operations that included portions of California and Arizona. The other camps were Young, Coxcomb, Granite, Iron Mountain, Ibis Clipper, Pilot Knob, Laguna, Horn, Hyder and Rice.
Camp Bouse . . . — Map (db m78566) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 114 — George L. Wendt — Headquarters Company — 526 Armored Infantry Battalion|
|United States Army
World War II
1924 – 2002
Whose dedication to the memory of his brothers in
arms, who fell in the Battle of the Ardennes, made this
historical park possible. — Map (db m78542) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 120 — In Memory of Eight Ball - Morale Officer — Equus asinus — Camp Bouse|
|He was our drinking buddy
While on duty
He drank our beer
Full of good cheer
And went to the nurses' quarters around the bend
And came to an untimely end,
Of the Colonel, he was unaware
That it would be the crime of all time
If he ate the nurses' underwear
And was slain by
The jealous rival
Rest in peace — Map (db m78536) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — Monument Row|
|We bring to a close
We tried to find
We must now impose
Units not found
748th Tank Battalion
150th Station Hospital
538th Ordnance Company
629th Quartermaster — Map (db m29161) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Bouse — 119 — The 526th Armored Infantry Battalion — World War II|
|In honored memory of those soldiers of the battalion who trained here at Camp Bouse and gave their lives in combat to preserve the freedom of the United States and to set the Peoples of Europe free.
Donald D. Hauger, Harry J. Moyles, Robert R Sullivan
Harland S Bittinger, Raymond R. Dukes (Kia, Korea), Jack W. Ellery, James A. Evans, Lloyd E Fisher, Dale B. Nelson, Ralph Quesenberry
Donald J . . . — Map (db m78537) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Cibola — 104 — Cibola Arizona|
|Gold and silver strikes in the 1860's created growth in the area. It is said Wyatt Earp served as sheriff of Cibola for one year in the 1890's. The town of Cibola formed in 1898 and construction began on a 16 mile canal to bring water from the river to the town. A post office operated here from 1903 to 1933, serving the farms, but the irrigation project failed. Floods were a yearly event until dams were built on the Colorado River. All the remnants of Cibola are now located on nearby private property. — Map (db m78552) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Cibola — 103 — Colorado River Ferries|
|Ferries of various size and design once provided transportation across the lower Colorado River linking Arizona with California, Nevada and Utah.
Ferrymen plied their trade from Yuma to Pearce Ferry. The first ferry on the river was started at Yuma Crossing in 1849. Ferries operated into the 1900's.
Ferries furnished a vital service until railroads and highways replaced them. — Map (db m78553) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Ehrenberg — 41 — Ehrenberg Cemetery|
|This monument built to
perpetuate the memory of
the pioneers, trailblazers,
and adventurers that rest
in these unmarked graves.
(Arizona Highway Department, 1934)
Rededicated: April 27, 2003 (CY 6008)
By the Ancient and Honorable Order of E Clampus Vitus
Lost Dutchman Chapter 5917+4 — Map (db m31188) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Ehrenberg — In Memory of Hualapai Ancestors — Yu’ Nyihay Jamj Vo:jo — La Paz Trail of Tears - April 21, 1874 – April 21, 1875|
|We honor our ancestors who died violent deaths at the hands of their captors and at this concentration camp. We greet the spirits of our ancestors and embrace their strength and above all else, their will to survive this holocaust: the Hualapai People’s strength and cultural survival endures to all future generations to come. — Map (db m36012) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Ehrenberg — Pioneer Cemetery|
|First used sometime after June 16, 1862. Some of Arizona's earliest pioneers, people of every race and moral persuasion, lie here in eternal peace. The last burial was on April 22, 1988. — Map (db m31827) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Parker — Poston Memorial Monument|
| [ The single 30 foot concrete pillar of the monument symbolizes "unity of spirit". The hexagonal base represents a Japanese stone lantern. The 12 small pillars situated around the monument make it a working sundial. Mounted on the 30 foot pillar base are six plaques and on a nearby kiosk are four additional plaques ]
[ Plaques mounted on Monument Base: ]
[ Photo Number 1 ]
This memorial monument marks the site of the Poston War Relocation Center . . . — Map (db m32258) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — Hi Jolly|
|The famous camel herd with which the name of Hi Jolly is linked constitutes an interesting sidelight of Arizona history....Jefferson Davis (afterward president of the Southern Confederacy), as Secretary of War, approved a plan to experiment with camels for freighting and communication in the arid southwest....Major Henry C. Wayne of the U.S. Army and Lt. D.D. Porter (later a distinguished admiral in the Civil War) visited the Levant with the storeship "Supply" and procured 33 camels which were . . . — Map (db m70566) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — Oasis Hotel Site|
|Established between 1899 & 1904. Existed until 1924. Overall dimensions 12' x 40', consisting of station and sleeping rooms. A breezeway separated rooms from main building. — Map (db m7005) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — Quinn Pass|
|Thomas P. Quinn, born in 1869 in New Jersey, had a mine near here and dug a cistern to catch water. He built a house just north of this sign and lived there until old age forced him to move to Bouse.
The remains of his cistern survive and served travelers for many years after his passing. — Map (db m29068) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — The Last Camp of Hi Jolly — Camel Driver, Packer, Scout|
| Last Camp
Born somewhere in Syria
Died at Quartzsite
December 16, 1902
Came to this country
February 10, 1856
Camel Driver - Packer Scout -
Over Thirty Years a faithful aid
to the US Government — Map (db m32201) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — 060-019 — Tyson's Well — Old Stage Station|
|This was a stage stop between Ehrenberg and Wickenburg and points east. Travelers in the 1870's and 80's made their first stop here on eastward journeys from the Colorado River. "No grass, but good water," an early desert guide indicated accommodations for passengers were crude. — Map (db m7004) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Quartzsite — Tyson's Well|
|Dug by hand around 1864 by a miner named Tyson. This 40-foot-deep well marked the spot around which grew the town of Quartzsite. Originally known as "Tyson's Well," "Tyson Wells," or "Tyson's Wells," the small community served as an important watering and resupply point along the Old Ehrenberg-Prescott freight-hauling and stagecoach route. — Map (db m39416) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Salome — Harrisburg|
|Harrisburg was established on this site in 1886 by Captain Charles Harris, and his partner Governor Fredrick Tritle, as a mill town to process ore from the Socorro and other mines in the area. By 1887 two mills were operating here.
The post office was established April 29th, 1887 and discontinued September 29th, 1906. Harrisburg was a ghost town by World War I. — Map (db m31821) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Salome — Harrisburg Cemetery|
|In remembrance of the pioneers who gave their lives to the development of the west. — Map (db m39415) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Salome — McMullen Valley 9/11 Memorial|
|We place this memorial in honor of this great nation and the victims of September 11, 2001. — Map (db m31823) HM|
|Arizona (La Paz County), Salome — Salome — "Where She Danced"|
|This desert town was made famous by the humor of Dick Wick Hall, healthseeker and operator of the laughing gas station. Hall's publication the Salome Sun was filled with extravagant tales of the desert's adaptation of species. He told of his frog that was seven years old and never learned to swim. — Map (db m31824) HM|