|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Buford — Buford Battleground|
In order that all may continue to share the sentiments of that group of patriotic citizens of Lancaster County who erected a monument here on June 2, 1860 the inscriptions of this memorial are the same as those on the original monument.
Erected to the memory and in honor of the brave and patriotic American soldiers who fell in the battle which occurred at this place on the 29th of May, 1780 between Col. Abraham Buford who commanded a regiment of 350 . . . — Map (db m23888) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Buford — 29-2 — Buford's Bloody Battleground|
|Col. Buford's 11th Virginia Regiment and a detachment of Washington's Cavalry, retreating after the fall of Charles Town, were attacked by Col. Tarelton, May 29, 1780, at the site of the monument 955 feet southwest. The American loss was 113 killed, 150 wounded, 53 made prisoner; the British, 5 killed, 14 wounded. In that grave lie many of Col. Buford's men. — Map (db m44911) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Buford — Buford's Massacre — May 29, 1780|
|On this site, Col. Abraham Buford's force of about 350 American patriots, while returning to Hillsborough, N.C., following the fall of Charles Town, were overtaken by British troops commanded by Col. Banastre Tarelton, it is historically told that the patriots white flag of surrender was disregarded as Tarelton's forces massacred the Americans. 113 patriots killed and buried here in mass graves, 150 wounded, most of whom died within a few days, 53 captured, and only a few escaped on horse back . . . — Map (db m23890) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Fort Mill — 29-28 — The Revolution in the Backcountry/ Sumter's Camp at Clems Branch|
The Revolution in the Backcountry
After British forces took Charleston in May 1780, they set up outposts in the backcountry and attempted to control the state by encouraging Loyalists. Backcountry Patriots organized a resistance in response, with an important camp ½ mi. E at Clems Branch of Sugar Creek, on the wagon road from Camden to Charlotte.
Sumter's Camp at Clems Branch
In June 1780 Col. Thomas Sumter’s troops were . . . — Map (db m23786) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Great Falls — 29-21 — Camp Creek Methodist Church|
This church, organized in 1798 by Bishop Francis Asbury, held its first services in a log meeting house. On July 10, 1798, Middleton McDonald donated the meeting house and ten acres to church trustees Gideon Glaze, John Graham, George Hicklin, Thomas Howze, and William Marlowe.
Rev. William Capers was one of the first and most renowned ministers of Camp Creek. In 1809 he was assigned to the Wateree Circuit, including this and 23 other churches. . . . — Map (db m23916) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — 29-1 — Battle of Hanging Rock|
|About 2.5 miles south is Hanging Rock, where Maj. Davie surprised a British force, Aug. 1, 1780, and killed or wounded most of them. There also, Aug. 6, 1780, Col. Hill, Col. Irwin, and Maj. Davie, all under Gen. Sumter, successfully attacked the Prince of Wales's American Regiment and detachments of the 63rd and of the 71st Infantries, under Maj. Carden. — Map (db m23893) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — Birthplace of Dr. James Marion Sims|
|About 1¾ miles west of this spot stood the house in which Dr. James Marion Sims was born on January 25, 1813. Father of modern gynecology, Dr. Sims was honored by the American and by European governments for his service to suffering women, empress and slave alike. Dr. Sims died in the city of New York on November 13, 1883. — Map (db m23891) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — Birthplace of James Marion Sims, M.D.|
|James Marion Sims, World Famed Physician, Father of modern gynaecol'ogy A blessing and a benefactor to women was born in the farm house of his parents near this site January 25, 1813 Doctor to empress and slave alike founder of women's hospital of the state of New York, Knight of the Legion of Honor of France, Honored by European and American Governments, he died in the city of New York November 13, 1883 — Map (db m51638) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — 29-10 — James Ingram Home|
|While on his Southern tour, President George Washington spent the night of May 26, 1791, at the James Ingram house, near here. According to Washington's diary, he left Ingram's at four o'clock the next morning and continued his journey northward, traveling eighteen miles before breakfast. Sherman's Army is said to have destroyed the house in 1865. — Map (db m23892) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — 29-13 — Mt. Carmel Campground|
According to local tradition, this African Methodist Episcopal Zion Campground was established c.1870. Instrumental in organizing the campground was former slave Isom Caleb Clinton, who was ordained Bishop of the church in 1892. Through the years the campground has flourished; hundreds now participate in the annual ecumenical encampment.
Mt. Carmel A.M.E.Z. Campground was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. Frederick A. . . . — Map (db m23915) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Heath Springs — The Battle Of The Hanging Rock|
|Here was fought the Battle of the Hanging Rock August 6, 1780 About 600 Militia of the Carolinas under Colonel Thomas Sumter destroyed the British Camp and killed and wounded over 200 of the British Troops under Major John Carden with a loss of 40 killed and a few wounded — Map (db m53400) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Kershaw — 29-19 — Beaver Creek Skirmish / Capture of Provisions at Flat Rock|
American forces under Major William R. Davie had captured a British convoy July 21, 1780, and were retreating with prisoners mounted two to the horse when ambushed by British several miles west of here on Beaver Creek. Nearly all the British prisoners were killed or wounded. One American was killed and two were wounded.
Near here on July 21, 1780, an American expedition commanded by Major William R. Davie captured a convoy of provisions, spirits, and . . . — Map (db m23913) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Kershaw — 29-27 — Haile Gold Mine|
In 1827 Benjamin Haile (1768-1842) found gold here while panning in the streams on his plantation. After he found gold ore as well, Haile set up a mining operation. By 1837 the Haile Gold Mine included a 5-stamp mill, with steel stamps or pestles that crushed ore into dust from which gold was extracted. Haile leased small plots to entrepreneurs who used slave labor to mine gold.
The mine was not successful until the 1880s, when its owners hired Adolf . . . — Map (db m23908) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Kershaw — 29-23 — Kershaw|
Kershaw, originally Welsh’s Station, was founded in 1888 when Capt. James V. Welsh (1845-1906) persuaded the Charleston, Cincinnati, & Chicago Railroad to build a depot halfway between Camden and Lancaster, on what was then the county line between Kershaw and Lancaster Counties. The town was incorporated later that year and renamed in honor of Maj. Gen. Joseph B. Kershaw (1822-1894), prominent Confederate general and state senator from Camden.
Marker Reverse: . . . — Map (db m23894) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Kershaw — 29-24 — Kershaw's First Library|
|This building, originally just south of Kershaw on what is now U.S. Hwy. 521, was built in 1900 for Capt. James V. Welsh (1845-1906) as the office for J.V. Welsh & Sons, a lumber mill. It later housed Kershaw’s first circulating library, founded by the McDowell Music Club, from its creation in 1934 until a new library was built in 1949. The building, moved to this site in 2001, serves as the office for the Stevens Foundation. — Map (db m23896) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Kershaw — 29-25 — Welsh's Station / Kershaw Depot|
Welsh’s Station, a depot on the Charleston, Cincinnati, & Chicago Railroad built in 1888, stood at or near this site. The town of Kershaw was first named for Capt. James V. Welsh, who donated 63 acres on which to establish a town and promised the railroad title to every other lot laid out in it. When it was incorporated in 1888 the town limits of Kershaw extended one-half mile in every direction from the depot.
Kershaw DepotThis depot, built in 1926 by the . . . — Map (db m23895) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-11 — Barr's Tavern Site|
|On the morning of May 27, 1791, President George Washington had breakfast near here at Nathan Barr's Tavern, which was located about a mile and a half north of the present Lancaster Courthouse. According to local tradition, Washington paid for his meal by giving Barr's young daughter half of a Spanish dollar he had cut with his sword. — Map (db m23794) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-22 — Clinton Memorial Cemetery / Isom C. Clinton|
More than 300 members of Lancaster's black community are buried here, with the first grave dating to 1864. Originally the Clinton family cemetery, it was donated to Mt. Zion A.M.E. Church in 1960 by Dr. John J. Clinton (1889-1974). Prominent citizens buried here include clergymen, educators, businessmen, and politicians, and many veterans of American wars from World War I through Vietnam.
This cemetery is named for Isom Caleb Clinton . . . — Map (db m23835) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-8 — Franklin Academy / Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County|
Organized in 1825, was the most widely-known of the four schools that occupied this site. Henry Connelly was its first principal. J. Marion Sims who later achieved world fame as a surgeon was one of its pupils. The building of brick was said by Robert Mills to be a fine structure, two stories high.
Oldest Continuous Public School Site in Lancaster County
This land has been dedicated to the cause of education since 1799 when Rev. John Brown, Dr. Samuel C. Dunlap, . . . — Map (db m23836) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-16 — Kilburnie|
|This late Federal-style house blending elements of the Greek-revival style with Victorian-era modifications was built by local dentist Joseph Lee between 1826 and 1834. Thought to be the oldest residence in the town of Lancaster, Kilburnie was owned by the Crawford family for a number of years and was entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. — Map (db m23795) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-26 — Lancaster|
Lancaster, founded in 1798, was first called Lancaster Court House and later known as Lancasterville. The seat of Lancaster District from 1800 to 1868, it has been the seat of Lancaster County since then. The town and county were named for Lancaster, Pennsylvania, the home of the Scots-Irish families who moved to this part of the South Carolina backcountry by the 1750s. Lancaster was the only incorporated town in the county until after the Civil War.
[Marker . . . — Map (db m23840) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-29 — Lancaster & Chester Railway|
|The Lancaster & Chester Railway, founded in 1896, was originally the Cheraw & Chester Railroad, chartered in 1873. The C&C, which never finished its route, was sold to Col. Leroy Springs (1861-1931) for $25,000 and renamed the Lancaster & Chester Railway. A narrow gauge line, running only 29 miles from Chester to Lancaster, it was later converted to standard gauge track in 1902 at a cost of $125,000.
The L&C carried freight and passengers 1896-1913 but only . . . — Map (db m23841) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County Confederate Monument|
Worthy, the Confederate soldier to be hallowed and held in tender remembrance Worthy, the fadeless fame which Lancaster's soldiers won in defending the honor of the South, the rights of the States, the liberties of the people, the sentiments of the South, the principles of the Union, as they were handed down to them by the fathers of our common country.
Our Confederate Soldiers
No country had more loyal sons
No cause nobler . . . — Map (db m23832) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Lancaster County Law Enforcement Officers Memorial|
|Dedicated to the officers of this county who gave their lives in the line of duty * B. Frank Sowell Lancaster Police 1937 * Walter T. Bell Highway Patrol 1939 * Curtis J Pope Constable 1943 * Coleman B. McAteer Constable 1947 * Roy D Hardin Sheriff's Dept. 2001 * J. T. McAteer Sheriff's Dept. 1977 * W. Clarence Hunter Sheriff's Dept. 1972 * D. Kevin Cusack Highway 2010 *
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called the children of God. Matthew 5:9 — Map (db m49360) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-6 — Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute|
Located on this site, Lancaster Normal and Industrial Institute for black students was incorporated in 1905; M. D. Lee was president and J. G. McIlwain chairman of the board. By 1912, the school was offering both elementary and advanced education to a number of students, many of whom trained for industrial employment or as teachers.
This school, incorporated in 1905, was operated by the General Conference of the African Methodist . . . — Map (db m23834) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-15 — Lancasterville Presbyterian Church|
|This congregation was organized May 5, 1835. Its first minister was James H. Thornwell, who later headed SC College in Columbia. The Gothic Revival building was dedicated 1862 and entered in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977. The congregation, now First Presbyterian Church, moved in 1926 and this building, purchased in 1961 by Dr. Ben F. Emanuel, was presented to the community in 1976. — Map (db m23837) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-17 — Leroy Springs House|
|The original part of this house was built by Robert W. Gill soon after he purchased the lot in 1828. About thirty years later, it was enlarged by Samuel B. Massey. Local textile manufacturer and banker Col. Leroy Springs remodeled the house 1906-1907. Springs' son Elliott, noted author and World War I flying ace, was born here, 1896. The house became city hall after a 1957 lease-purchase agreement with the city of Lancaster. — Map (db m23839) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-4 — The Courthouse Lancaster County / John Simpson|
|[Front]: The Courthouse Lancaster County
Built in 1825-1828. Designed by Robert Mills of Charleston, South Carolina, America's first native born, professionally trained architect, State Civil and Military Engineer and designer of the Washington Monument.
John Simpson in 1792 gave a courthouse site to the people of the region known as Lancaster County (1785-1798), Lancaster District (1798-1868), and Lancaster County since 1868. Three courthouses have . . . — Map (db m28254) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — 29-5 — The Jail / Robert Mills — Lancaster County — Built 1823|
This is the "gaol" that Willis W. Alsobrook contracted to build for Lancaster District "…agreeable to the plans and specifications signed by Robert Mills…." In 1868 Lancaster District became Lancaster County and this structure became the Lancaster County Jail.
Robert Mills of Charleston, South Carolina, Civil and Military Engineer of his state, was America's first native born, professionally-trained architect. He is best known as the designer of the Washington Monument. — Map (db m23838) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Lancaster — Thomas H Davis|
|Honoring Thomas H. Davis Site where his forty year selection, (1880), of okra led to the nationally known variety of "Clemson Spineless Okra" 1939 — Map (db m49358) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Midway — 29-20 — Flat Creek Baptist Church|
|This church, organized July 4, 1776 by Rev. George Pope, a native of Virginia, held its first meetings in a brush arbor on this site and was known as the Upper Fork of Lynches Creek until it was renamed Flat Creek Baptist Church in 1881. The first permanent sanctuary, a log building, was replaced by a frame sanctuary which burned in 1912; the present sanctuary was built in 1913. — Map (db m23911) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Stoneboro — Stoneboro|
|Originally called Russell Place for the Irish immigrant William Russell who settled near here on a branch of Beaver Creek in 1768. General William Tecumseh Sherman passed through Russell Place in 1865 on his way to North Carolina. In 1871 James Robert Magill moved here. Magill served in the S.C. House of Representatives 1887 ~ 88, and the S.C. Senate, 1889 ~ 1894. For several years around the turn of the 20th Century, the post office here was called Magill. In 1906, Stewart William Heath moved . . . — Map (db m51641) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — 29-9 — Birthplace of Andrew Jackson|
|Seventh President of the United States. Near this site on South Carolina soil Andrew Jackson was born on March 15, 1767, at the plantation whereon James Crawford lived and where Jackson himself said he was born. — Map (db m23765) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — 29-9 — Birthplace of Andrew Jackson|
|Seventh President of the United States. Near this site on South Carolina soil Andrew Jackson was born on March 15, 1767, at the plantation whereon James Crawford lived and where Jackson himself said he was born. — Map (db m24035) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — Birthplace of Andrew Jackson Monument|
"I was born in So Carolina, as I have been told, at the plantation whereon James Crawford lived about one mile from the Carolina Road X of the Waxhaw Creek" Andrew Jackson to J.H. Witherspoon, August 11, 1824.
Jackson said in his last will and testament that he was a native of South Carolina
This stone stands upon the plantation whereon James Crawford lived. Near the site of the dwelling house, according to the Mills map of 1820.
[Plaque Side] . . . — Map (db m23781) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — 29-14 — Boundary Line|
|One of the last refinements in the N.C.-S.C. boundary was marked with a stone inscribed "1813" and located about ½ mile SE of here. This adjustment was made because of uncertainty in location of the Salisbury Road which had served as north-south boundary from the western terminus of the state line, surveyed in 1764, to the Catawba Indian lands of 1763. — Map (db m23789) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — Elizabeth Hutchinson Jackson|
Erected to the memory of Elizabeth Hutchinson Jackson. Mother of Andrew Jackson seventh President of the United States.
It was her zeal for accomplishment that made handicaps seem to resolve themselves in her favor which enabled them to endure the hardships of the great waggon road to the gardens of the Waxhaws
Elizabeth Hutchinson, wife of Andrew Jackson, Sr. of Larne County, Antrim, Ireland settled in Waxhaws 1765. . . . — Map (db m23792) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — Heart of the Community|
|Scotch-Irish Presbyterians called their worship places Meeting Houses to emphasize that the structure is a building and that the church is the body of believers. The community came to the Meeting House not only to worship, but also for recreation, community benevolence, and political discussion. The Jackson family were members of the Waxhaw Meeting House, the oldest in the South Carolina Backcountry. Andrew Jackson's exposure to this unified body of strong-willed individuals forged his character for life. — Map (db m23768) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — Jackson Comes Home|
|Andrew Jackson, champion of the common, is a larger-than-life hero. He has been memorialized throughout American history. The idea of commemorating Jackson with a statue in the land of his birth was conceived by Perry Belle Hough of the Lancaster Historical Commission in 1962 when visiting Brookgreen Gardens to see Anna Hyatt Huntington's world famous sculptures.
Fellow Historical Commissioner Nancy Crockett and her students wrote to Mrs. Huntington and asked her to sculpt the statue in . . . — Map (db m23775) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — 29-7 — King Hagler's Murder|
|On the Catawba Path near here King Hagler, Chief of the Catawba Nation (1750-1763), was slain on August 30, 1763, by a raiding band of northern Indian braves as he journeyed from the Waxhaws Settlement on Cane Creek to a Catawba town on Twelve Mile Creek. — Map (db m23761) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — 29-12 — Major Crawford's Home|
|Near this site was the home of Major Robert Crawford, where President George Washington spent his last night in South Carolina on his Southern tour, May 27, 1791. Here Washington was met by a delegation of the Chiefs of the Catawba Nation, who set forth their apprehensions that attempts would be made to deprive them of their land. — Map (db m23763) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — School Days in the Waxhaws|
|When Andrew Jackson was a boy, he attended log-cabin schools much like this replica.
In this backcountry region of devout, hard working Scotch-Irish immigrants, most children learned enough at local "common" schools to read the Bible and run their farms. Ambitious parents like Andrew's mother, Elizabeth, paid a schoolmaster for advanced classes at Waxhaw Academy. Here Andy and his classmates studied Greek and Latin as preparation for careers in law, medicine, or the church.
In 1780-81, . . . — Map (db m23771) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — 29-18 — Stephen Decatur Miller|
Governor of South Carolina from 1828 until 1830, Miller was born near here May 8, 1787, the son of Charles and Margaret White Miller. He served in the US House of Representatives (1822-1828), and US Senate (1831-1833). He died March 8, 1838 in Raymond, Mississippi and is buried there.
After his graduation from South Carolina College in 1808 and his admission to the bar in 1811, Miller practiced law for many years. He was one of South . . . — Map (db m23785) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — The Boy of the Waxhaws — By Anna Hyatt Huntington|
|This statue of the young Andrew Jackson is a gift to the children of South Carolina by the sculptor, Anna Hyatt Huntington. Children of the elementary schools throughout the state contributed their nickel and dimes for the base.
"We, the children of Lancaster County, South Carolina, are interested in a youthful statue of Andrew Jackson because he was born among the red clay hills of our county and here he spent the formative years of his life, his first seventeen, riding . . . — Map (db m23779) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — 29-3 — Waxhaw Presbyterian Church|
|About 3 miles W. is Waxhaw Presbyterian Church, organized 1755, first church in upper South Carolina. President Andrew Jackson, born nearby, was baptized there. His father lies in the churchyard with other early settlers of the Waxhaws and many veterans of various wars, including: Gen. Wm. R. Davie, Maj. Robt. Crawford, Major John Barkley, Col. J. H. Witherspoon, Isaac Donnom. — Map (db m23790) HM|
|South Carolina (Lancaster County), Van Wyck — Waxhaw Presbyterian Church Monument — Organized 1755 by Scotch-Irish|
The first church in upper So. Car. This 4½ acre tract was deeded to the congregation by Robert Miller school teacher and minister, Mar.9, 1758. The first pastor was Rev. Wm. Richardson, 1759-1771. The earliest building of logs was used as a hospital for wounded soldiers during the Revolutionary War and was burned by the British. This, the forth, was built in 1896 and remodeled in 1942.
Tombstones in the churchyard date from 1758. Among . . . — Map (db m23791) HM|