HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Lee County Markers
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-2 — Battle of Ratcliff's Bridge
On March 6, 1781 General Thomas Sumter with a force of 250 men was attacked by a British detachment commanded by Major Fraser about 3 miles northeast at the head of Stirrup Branch. In a running fight, the Gamecock retreated along a road near here to Ratcliff's Bridge on Lynches River, 3 miles southeast. — Map (db m27767) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-5 — Bishopville
A trading center and polling place for Upper Salem in old Claremont County in the early 1800's, Bishopville was laid out on land acquired by Dr. Jacques Bishop. In 1824 a post office was established here. The town was chartered in 1888. When Lee County was organized in 1902, commemorating Gen. Robert E. Lee, it became the county seat. — Map (db m27732) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-19 — Bishopville High School
(Front text) This high school, built in 1936, is an excellent example of a Colonial Revival school built by the Public Works Administration (PWA), a New Deal program of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration. Designed by architect Henry Dudley Harrall (1878-1959) of Bennettsville, it was built and furnished for $71,000 and was described as “one of the most modern school plants in the state” when it was completed. (Reverse text) The high school featured sixteen . . . — Map (db m27915) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-18 — Dennis High School
(Front text) Dennis High School, built in 1936, was the first high school for African-American students in Lee County. Built on land donated by philanthropist Rebecca Dennis, it was named in her honor. This school was originally intended as an elementary school, but when the old elementary school burned shortly before this school opened it became both an elementary school and high school. It was the only black high school in Lee County for several years. (Reverse text) The . . . — Map (db m27919) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — Felix Anthony "Doc" Blanchard
We point with pride to young Doc Blanchard- one of the greatest names in football- our hometown boy who met success with modesty- a boy who fit perfectly into the pattern laid down by his dad. With memory of your father, with honor to your mother, Doc Blanchard, we salute you.          ——Avery G. Asbill — Map (db m40623) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — Flag Park
This Flag Park is a collaborative effort of the City of Bishopville, a Palmetto Pride Grant, Pee Dee Tourism, the SC Cotton Museum and private donations to show support for our men and women on active duty in the military. Ten flag poles and other amenities were generously donated by the Bishopville High School Class of 1967 to honor all veterans and with gratitude to past and present Lee County legislative delegates; Senator William Green DesChamps and T. Bruce Smith and also . . . — Map (db m60612) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-12 — James Jenkins1764 - 1847
[Front]: The Reverend James Jenkins served in the Methodist ministry for 55 years. He was born in Bitton's Neck, the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Britton Jenkins. His mother was a revolutionary War heroine. In 1805 he married Elizabeth Ann Gwyn and from 1814 to 1836 he lived near here. He died and was buried in Camden. [Reverse]: The Reverend James Jenkins was a pioneer circuit-riding Methodist minister. He began his ministry in 1792 among the settlers and Indians of . . . — Map (db m27704) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — Lee County Monument to the Confederate Dead
(West face) CSA In Memory of Lee County's Confederate Soldiers Heros Confederate Dead (East Face) Lest We Forget Erected by the people of Lee County Through the efforts of Lottie Green Chapter of U.D.C. A.D. 1913 — Map (db m27735) WM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-9 — Thomas Gordon McLeod
This house is the birthplace of Thomas Gordon McLeod (Dec. 17, 1868-Dec. 11, 1932). He was the first State Senator from Lee County, 1903-1907, then Lieutenant Governor 1907-1911, and Governor of South Carolina from 1923 to 1927. His grave and that of his wife, the former Elizabeth Alford, are in Bethlehem Cemetery, 1 mi. N.W. — Map (db m40683) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — W. Green Deschamps, Jr. Highway
Named in his honor 1978 Bishopville Council member, 1947 - 58 Mayor, 1958 - 62 State Senator , 1963 - 68 Member, house, 1971 - Life Trustee, Clemson University Dedicated Public Servant, Strong supporter of Highway Program, Astute businessman, Civic Leader — Map (db m20579) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Bishopville — 31-14 — William Apollos James House
(Front text) William Apollos James (1857-1930), prominent local businessman and public servant, lived here from 1904 until his death. James founded the Farmers Loan and Trust Company and was its president for more than 20 years. When Lee County was created in 1902 James was one of the commissioners who laid out county boundaries and built a new courthouse. He later represented the county in the S.C. House in 1913-14. (Reverse text) This house, built as a one-story cottage . . . — Map (db m28476) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Cypress Crossroads — 31-6 — Battle of Mount Elon
Three miles south of Mount Elon on the night of Feb. 27, 1865, a mounted Union detachment led by Captain William Duncan encountered a superior force of Confederate cavalry commanded by Colonel Hugh K. Aiken. After a sharp hand to hand fight Captain Duncan was forced to fall back across Lynches River. Colonel Aiken was killed. — Map (db m27739) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), English Crossroads — 31-16 — Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church
(Front text) This church was established in 1809. Its first building, a frame church, was built 1.5 mi. N on Broad Branch. The congregation moved to this site in 1829 and built a second church, also a frame building, in the 1830s. Mt. Zion's longest serving minister, Rev. William M. Reid, was the pastor here from 1833 to 1872. (Reverse text) The cemetery here dates from 1830, and the session house was built in 1851. A third frame church, built in 1855, burned in 1910. The . . . — Map (db m28385) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), English Crossroads — 31-7 — Rev. Thomas Reese English
One mile east stood the home of T.R. English, Presbyterian minister, statesman, delegate to the Secession Convention. After attending S.C. College, he was admitted to the Bar and served as a legislator, 1830-1832. Ordained in 1833, as the evangelist of Harmony Presbytery he founded many churches in the Pee Dee area. — Map (db m28595) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Lucknow — 31-15 — Hall's Mill
(Front text) A water-powered grist mill stood here as early as 1824, on land owned by William W. Hall, who had acquired the property from John Hall in 1809. William Hall operated the mill until he sold it to Harrison Hall shortly before the Civil War. Hall's Mill, which appears in Robert Mills's 1824 Atlas of South Carolina, was destroyed by a flood in 1928. The present mill was built by C.M. Stokes in 1929. (Reverse text) This mill, built in 1929, was operated by Hall . . . — Map (db m40820) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Lynchburg — 31-8 — Ellison Durant SmithAugust 1, 1864 - November 17, 1944
Known nationally as "Cotton Ed" and active in 1905 in forming the Southern Cotton Association, Ellison DuRant Smith was elected to the U.S.Senate in 1908 and served until his death in 1944, having been Committee Chairman of Agriculture and of Interstate Commerce. His home, Tanglewood, is 3 miles east on Highway 341. — Map (db m28124) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Manville — Central School1922 ~ 1952
Central School was erected on this site by a group of public spirited men and women who desired quality education for the children who lived in this area. The school offered educational opportunities for young people, grades one through eleven and also served as a community center.

Central was consolidated with Ashwood School in 1952. The building was then named West Lee and was used as an elementary school until 1962. — Map (db m45701) HM

South Carolina (Lee County), near Woodrow — Rembert Cemetery
This cemetery was established in the early 1780's Francis Asbury mentions in his journal that he buried Abijah Rembert here on December 4, 1805 Abijah is the Great-Grandson of Andre' Rembert/Immigrant Marked on 8 October 2005 Teige Cantey Chapter National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC — Map (db m41058) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), near Woodrow — 31-13 — Rembert Church
Site of camp meetings where Bishop Francis Asbury preached. First service held about 1786. In 1834 Caleb Rembert deeded eight acres to nine trustees for the use of the Methodist Church. John A. Colclough gave an adjacent tract of 2 ½ acres, and soon after the present church was erected. From 1800 noted ones have selected Cemetery as last resting place. — Map (db m41015) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Shannon Hill — 31-10 — Captain Peter DuBose1755 - 1846
After serving in the militia under General Francis Marion during the Revolutionary War, this planter and patriot lived near here and operated a ferry, known as DuBose's Crossing, close by the present bridge over Lynches River. His grave is in the family cemetery 100 yards north. — Map (db m27838) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Shannon Hill — 31-1 — Cash-Shannon Duel
This was the site of the last fatal duel fought in S.C., in which Col. E.B.C. Cash of Cash's Depot killed Col. Wm. M. Shannon of Camden on July 5, 1880. This tragedy influenced the S.C. legislature to enact a law in December, 1880, making dueling a crime and requiring public officers, until 1954, to swear they had not been in a duel. — Map (db m27860) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), South Lynchburg — 31 17 — Lynchburg Presbyterian Church and Cemetery
Marker front: This church was organized in 1855 by 21 charter members who met in the nearby Methodist church. This Greek Revival church, built of hand-hewn pine and featuring galleries on either side, was built that year with the help of their neighbors. Rev. W.W.Wilson, a native of Ireland served as its first pastor. Marker reverse: This church is one of the few buildings still standing from the original town of Lynchburg. When the railroad was built one mile north in . . . — Map (db m23450) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), Spring Hill — 31-4 — Skirmish at Spring Hill
Gen. Edward E. Potter commanding 2700 Federal troops left Georgetown on April 5, 1865, to destroy the railroad between Sumter and Camden. On April 16 after a skirmish with militia under Col. James F. Pressley he camped at Spring Hill nearby. The McKinley Barfield home which stood on this site bore scars of the skirmishing on its walls. — Map (db m28128) HM
South Carolina (Lee County), St. Charles — 31-3 — Rev. John Leighton Wilson, D.D.
His home stood on this site. With his wife, Jane Bayard Wilson, he served as a Presbyterian missionary on the western coast of Africa 1833-1852. He advocated ending the slave trade and by 1844 had freed all his own slaves. Foreign Mission Secretary in the Presbyterian Church for 33 years, he served as a chaplain, C.S.A. — Map (db m40805) HM
24 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 324 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.