HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Liberty County Markers
Georgia (Liberty County), Dorchester — 89-19 — Dorchester Village
The village of Dorchester was settled in 1843, by families from Midway and Sunbury. It was named for the Dorchesters in England, Massachusetts and South Carolina, ancestral homes of the Midway people. Among the early settlers of the village were: Captain Abiel Winn, Captain Cyrus Mallard, Dr. Edward J. Delegal, B.S. Busbee, W.S. Baker, Dr. Benjamin King, William Thompson, John L. Mallard, Thomas Mallard, Benjamin Allen, Dr. Troup Maxwell, William Stevens, Henry Jones and Dr. Raymond Harris. — Map (db m8940) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Flemington — 089-10 — Flemington Presbyterian Church
Organized in 1815 as the Church and Society of Gravel Hill, this was a branch of Midway Church. the Rev. Robert Quarterman was the first pastor. The first edifice was built in 1836 on land donated by Simon Fraser. This one was completed in 1850 honoring William Fleming, it was separated from Midway in 1865. In 1866 it was admitted to the Georgia Presbytery with the Rev. D.B. Buttolph, pastor; W.E.W. Quarterman, Thomas Cassels, Ezra Stacy, James Laing, elders; S. A. Fraser, L. M. Cassels, . . . — Map (db m15798) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Fort Stewart — 3rd Battalion, 15th InfantryOEF 13
All Gave Some, Some Gave All SPC Ramirez, Ray A - 01 Jun 13 1LT Russell, Jonam - 23 Jul 13 SGT Smith, Stefan M - 23 Jul 13 SPC Nichols, Rob L - 23 Jul 13 SPC Welch, Nickolas S - 23 Jul 13 “Can Do” — Map (db m71982) WM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Bradwell Institute
The town of Hinesville was established in 1837 and shortly thereafter, in 1841, the Hinesville Institute (or Academy) was established with Colonel James Sharpe Bradwell as its first headmaster. The first building was erected at a cost of $349.12 1/2 and stood on the Courthouse Square where Bradwell Park is now located. Hinesville Institute was closed during the War Between the States, but was reorganized and reopened in 1871 by Captain Samuel Dowse Bradwell, C.S.A., son of James Sharpe . . . — Map (db m58218) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Bradwell Park1974
In Memory of Samuel Dowse Bradwell Founder of Bradwell Institute on this site in 1871 Built by City of Hinesville with assistance from HUD and Liberty County Garden Garden Clubs ( Mayor and List of Councilmen ) — Map (db m9492) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Charlton Hines House
One of the first houses built in Hinesville after the town was established and became the county seat of Liberty County in 1837 was that of Charlton Hines, a state senator and for whom the town was named. This house, considerably altered, was built in 1837 on town lot number 33, which faced the Court House. Hines paid sixty-one dollars for this lot. After Hines' death the house was occupied by his son and was later used as the Hines Hotel. In 1941 the house was moved from its location on . . . — Map (db m41645) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-22 — Fort Morris Cannon
This small cannon was a part of the armament of historic Fort Morris at Sunbury during the American Revolution. In November, 1778, a superior British force from Florida under Colonel Fuser of the 60th Regiment besieged the Fort. To the ultimatum to surrender the American Commander, Colonel John McIntosh, sent back the laconic reply: "COME AND TAKE IT". The enemy thereupon abandoned the siege and retired southward. In January, 1779, the British returned to Sunbury by water. Fort . . . — Map (db m8995) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Gum Branch Baptist Church
This church was organized in 1833 as the Gum Branch Primitive Baptist Church by members of Beard’s Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Among the charter members were Samuel and David Delk. The land for the church was given by Fashau Long, Jr. In 1838 a church building was erected to replace the brush arbor meeting place. Leaders at this time were James N. Mobley, Albert Mobley, A. B. Flowers, Evan Wells, J. N. Tatum, John and Jeremiah Baker, and Augustus Delk. The earliest known pastor was the . . . — Map (db m58145) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Harrison Family Cemetery
Although the gravestones have been destroyed by weathering and vandalism, it is believed that about a dozen people are buried in this family cemetery. William Harrison died March 30, 1883, in the 72nd year of his age. His wife, Sarah Sylvester Smith Harrison (born c. 1819) was born in Providence, Rhode Island. On January 4, 1886, Mrs. Sarah Harrison and six surviving children, heirs at law of the late William Harrison, agreed that part of the proceeds from collectible notes and accounts should . . . — Map (db m58223) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Hinesville and Liberty County WWII Veterans Monument
Erected in honor of the men and women of Hinesville and Liberty County who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America in World War Two. Glory to them that died in this great cause! Map (db m41684) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Hinesville Methodist Church
The year 1837 marked the founding of Hinesville and the establishment of the Hinesville Methodist Church. For one hundred years this was the only church in Hinesville. The first services were held in a small frame building near the Bradwell Institute on Courthouse Square. A larger structure was later erected and used until 1942 when the church built a new edifice at the corner of main Street and Memorial Drive. In 1985 a new building was completed. The first recorded trustees of the church . . . — Map (db m8996) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-4A — Liberty Armory Site
Returning from the Revolution, the soldiers of Liberty County re-organized themselves into a troop of cavalry, known as the Liberty Dragoons, later the Liberty Independent Troop, the oldest cavalry company in Georgia. In continuous existence since that time, this military company has participated in every war in which this country has been engaged since the Revolution. As late as 1916 the troop served as a cavalry company on the Mexican Border. When the company went to France in World War I, . . . — Map (db m8998) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-1 — Liberty County
Liberty County, an original county, was created by the Consitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek Cession of May 20, 1733. It had been organized in 1758 as the Parishes of St. John, St. Andrew, and St. James, the theatre of many important events during the Revolution, Liberty County was named for American Independence. Form it all of Long and McIntosh Counties were formed. Samuel Morecock was commissioned Sheriff in 1778. Wm. Barnard became Surveyor, Feb 17, 1782. Francis Coddington in 1785 was . . . — Map (db m9199) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Liberty County Confederate Monument1861-1865
War Between The States "Lord God of hosts defend us yet Lest we forget. lest we forget." — Map (db m9244) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — M1A1 90mm Anti-Aircraft Gun
Replacing the aging 3-inch gun as the staple of Army heavy antiaircraft artillery at the dawn of the war, the 90mm gun went on to earn a well deserved place among the finest artillery pieces fielded by the Allies in World War II. Intended to meet the threat posed by aircraft capable of flying faster and higher, work on the 90mm began in earnest in 1938. The 90mm gun M1 was standardized in March 1940. An M1A1 version followed that added a small loading tray to the breech ring and included . . . — Map (db m41683) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Old Liberty County Jail
While this building was not Liberty County's first jail, it served longer than any previous jail. When in was built in 1892 the jail had "all the modern improvements and conveniences of a first class prison." Eighty years later it was condemned by Georgia Governor Lester Maddox as "a rotten, filthy rathole." Although there is not record of its construction or its architect, it is known that the contractor, a Mr. Parkhill, had completed the two-story, three-bay brick structure by October . . . — Map (db m41682) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — Pleasant Grove African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church and Camp Meeting
Pleasant Grove A.M.E. Church was organized June 29, 1869 at Taylors Creek, GA. Rev. Piner Martin was the first pastor. The first church, a small frame house, was named A.M.E. Church of the U.S.A. Sixteen acres of land were later purchased to build a larger church named Pleasant Grove. Trustees were Sam Frasier, Syrus Smiley, Sam Martin and Sol Smith. The U.S. Government purchased the original church site to establish Camp Stewart in 1941. In 1943 a new church was built on Highway 38 in . . . — Map (db m15709) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-24 — Skirmish at Hinesville
On Dec. 16, 1864, a detachment of the 7th Illinois Infantry (mounted) foraging near the right flank of Gen. Sherman's army (US) which was then closing in on Savannah, met here in Hinesville a detachment of cavalry from Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson's brigade of Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler's cavalry corps of the Army of Tennessee (CS). Wheeler's corps and units of the Georgia Militia had offered steady resistance to Gen. Sherman's "March to the Sea" from Atlanta to Savannah. After a sharp skirmish . . . — Map (db m15185) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — 089-18 — Taylors Creek Methodist Church and Cemetery
Taylors Creek Methodist Church was organized in 1807, by the Rev. Angus McDonald, with seven members, including James Darsey, Mrs. James Darsey, and Robert Hendry. A village soon grew up around the church, and was for many years a trading center for the surrounding area. In the cemetery adjoining the site of the church are the graves of the families of Bird, Daniels, Martin, Hendry and others who were part of the Taylors Creek community and whose names have been prominent in the history of . . . — Map (db m15740) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Hinesville — The Bacon-Fraser House
The Bacon-Fraser House was built on a 23 acre tract situated on the eastern boundary of the town of Hinesville in 1839 by Mary Jane Bacon, widow of Major John Bacon. The house has been owned and lived in by their heirs until the present time. The architecture is 'plantation plain style' and its workmanship reflects the work of the best craftsmen of the day. The front and two-story section remains virtually unchanged. However, the two shed rooms and kitchen to the rear were removed and . . . — Map (db m15844) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), McIntosh — Union Brotherhood Society
(Front text) William Mckinley Walthour, Sr. founded the Union Brotherhood Society or "The Society" in March 1932 to help provide for a proper burial of Negro citizens. During this period of segregation and Jim Crow Laws, Negroes were uninsured and had to use homemade pine boxes to bury their loved ones. The organization collected dues of ten and twenty-five cents monthly from its members; enabling them to have death and health benefits. The Society with 34 members still exists in 2006 . . . — Map (db m9491) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-1 — "Hall's Knoll"Home of Dr. Lyman Hall »—→
Home-site of Dr. Lyman Hall, signer of the Declaration of Independence, member of the First Continental Congress, Governor of Georgia, member of Midway Congregational church near here. Graduate of Yale University, (1747). Born in Wallingford, Conn., April 12, 1724. Dr. Hall moved to the Puritan Colony at Dorchester, S.C. in 1757 and after those Puritans had established themselves here in Saint John`s Parish in the Province of Georgia, he moved to this place and became the leading physician of . . . — Map (db m8786) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Athletic Programs at Dorchester Academy 1926-1940Dorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
Founding the athletic programs was considered one of Principal Elizabeth Moore's greatest achievements. School teams came to be known as the Dorchester Academy Tigers and Tigerettes, with "Shag" the tiger as their mascot. Dorchester Academy participated in it's first athletic event in 1926, a Savannah public school track meet. Basketball teams were organized that same year. The academy began to develop a football team in 1927 and a baseball team soon after. Boys' and girls' basketball teams . . . — Map (db m9056) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Brigadier General Daniel Stewart
This Stone Marks The Spot Where Beside His Wife And Children Repose The Remains Of Brigadier General Daniel Stewart in recognition of whose life and services The Congress of the United States has reared a monument in this cemetery. He was one of the youthful Patriots who fought to achieve the Independence of America and who later rendered signal service to his country being brevetted by the Legislature of Georgia for bravery in the Indian . . . — Map (db m9193) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Brigadier General James Screven
This Stone Marks The Spot Where Repose The Remains Of Brigadier General James Screven In recognition of whose life and services The Congress of the United States has reared a monument in this cemetery. He was a gallant officer who though but twenty eight years of age at the time of his death had attained the rank of Brigadier General. He fell covered with wounds, at Sunbury, near this spot, on the 22nd day of November, 1778, and died from . . . — Map (db m9198) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-2 — Button Gwinnett
In this, Saint John`s Parish, (now Liberty County), lived Button Gwinnett, signer of the Declaration of Independence, member of the Continental Congress, Speaker of the Assembly, and President of the Executive Council. He also was a member of the Convention that met in Savannah in October, 1776, in which he played a prominent part in drafting the first Constitution of the State of Georgia. Born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1735, son of a Church of England vicar, Button Gwinnett came to . . . — Map (db m8784) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Civil Liberties at Dorchester Cooperative Center 1940 - presentDorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
In an effort to involve Liberty County African Americans in politics, the Dorchester Cooperative Center (DCC) began to help organize African American Voters. The DCC taught local African Americans the United States and Georgia constitutions, followed the activities of state and national representatives, charted how legislators voted on issues, interviewed candidates for office, and discussed issues and community goals. They also instructed citizens on how to mark ballots and general . . . — Map (db m8968) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-26 — Dorchester Academy
Formal education of blacks started with the Freedmen's Bureau in Liberty County. The Homestead School was continued with the aid of the American Missionary Association (AMA) and support of Reconstruction legislator William A. Golding. The AMA started with one acre of land and 77 students in 1870. In 1874, the Reverend Floyd Snelson succeeded Golding at the school. The AMA and Snelson built a new school and named it Dorchester Academy in honor of its Puritan lineage. In 1890, Dorchester Academy . . . — Map (db m15511) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-27 — Dorchester Academy Boy's Dormitory
his Georgian Revival building, built in 1934 to replace an earlier structure destroyed by fire, was once part of an extensive school campus begun in 1871 by the American Missionary Association. The school, founded to serve the educational needs of black children of Liberty County and coastal Georgia, closed in 1940 after public education became available to black children. In 1948 the American Missionary Association, with the assistance of the local community, expanded the dormitory into a . . . — Map (db m15513) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-11 — Dorchester Presbyterian Church
This church, built in 1854 on a lot of four acres donated by B.A. Busbee, was first used for summer services only. On January 6, 1871, it was admitted into the Savannah Presbytery as an organized church of 14 members. The Rev. J. W. Montgomery was the first pastor. L.J. Mallard was the first ruling elder. The bell, from old Sunbury, was once used for church, school, market and town. The font and communion service are from Midway Church. The font was a gift from Dr. William McWhir, the tankard . . . — Map (db m8933) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Dr. Lyman Hall
Dr. Lyman Hall was a Georgia signer of The Declaration Of Independence. He represented Saint John's Parish in the Continental Congress, and was a delegate from Georgia to the Second Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia. He was a founder of Sunbury and as Governor of Georgia (1783-1784) he gave strong support to education and religion. He was instrumental in obtaining the grant of land which led to the establishment of the University of Georgia. Born in Wallingford, . . . — Map (db m8785) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Elizabeth Moore at Dorchester Academy 1925-1932Dorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
In 1925, Elizabeth B. Moore began her six-year tenure as Dorchester Academy's only female, African American principal. She insisted that both parents and community accept responsibility for supporting the school. She believed that charity and tuition breaks should be given only when absolutely necessary. Due to Moore's efforts, many parents began to recognize the importance of paying tuition and how it would benefit their children. Principal Moore expanded the school's curriculum to include art . . . — Map (db m9036) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 89-17 — General James ScrevenKilled in Battle Here
On November 24, 1778, General James Screven was mortally wounded in a battle fought near this spot. With General Screven in the action were Major James Jackson, Colonel John White, Capt. Celerine Brusard and Capt. Edward Young, with 100 Continentals and 20 Mounted Miltia, against a force of 400 British Regulars, Refugees and Indians under Col. James Mark Prevost and Col. Daniel McGirth. General Screven died from his wounds the following day. — Map (db m16070) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — In Memory of Button Gwinnett and Dr. Lyman Hall
Members of the Midway Colony Signers of the Declaration of Independence and Governors of Georgia — Map (db m41706) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — James Screven and Daniel Stewart
[North Face]: 1750           1778 Sacred to the Memory of Brigadier General James Screven who fell, covered with wounds, at Sunbury, near this spot, on the 22nd day of November, 1778. He died on the 24th day of November, 1778, from the effects of his wounds. [South Face]: 1759           1829 Sacred to the Memory of Brigadier General Daniel Stewart A gallant soldier in the Revolution and an Officer Brevetted for bravery in the Indian . . . — Map (db m9191) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-25 — Kilpatrick and Mower at Midway Church
On Dec. 13, 1864, Murray's brigade of Kilpatrick's cavalry division (USA), scouting in the right rear of Gen. Sherman's army, which was then closing in on Savannah, moved south into Liberty County. After driving back the 29th Georgia Cavalry Battalion (CSA), Lt. Col. Arthur Hood, which was patrolling Liberty County, Murray advanced to Midway Church. The 5th Kentucky Cavalry was sent to Sunbury to open communications with the Union blockading squadron in St. Catherine's Sound. The 9th . . . — Map (db m41685) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Lambert Plantation
Just east of here was the 863 acre plantation of John Lambert which he purchased in 1784. John Lambert was born in south Carolina in 1716 and died at his plantation here in December 1786. He is buried in the Midway Cemetery. He never married and, having no family, left his entire estate in a perpetual trust with the stipulation that the income be applied "to the support of the gospel, for the relief of the poor and distressed, or whatever pious and good purpose may be answered." The . . . — Map (db m8948) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Liberty County Citizen's Council 1946 - 1953Dorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
The Errosion of the Franchise With the passage of the 14th and 15th amendments to the U.S. Constitution in 1868 and 1869, African Americans were granted full citizenship and the right to vote. In less than a decade, nearly 100,000 black men had registered to vote in Georgia. Success, however was short-lived. In 1877 Georgia passed a new state constitution which restricted the franchise by adding a residency requirement and altering the state's poll tax law to make it . . . — Map (db m9065) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Midway Cemetery
Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m9470) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Midway Church
Built in 1792. Replaced Colonial meeting house burned by British in 1778. Sherman’s cavalry camped here in 1864. Midway settlement produced many of Georgia’s most famous men. — Map (db m8253) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Midway Congregational ChurchErected 1792
Organized in 1754 by the descendants of an English Colony which came first to Massachusetts 1630 to Connecticut 1635 to South Carolina 1695 and to Georgia 1752 Built on the same spot as the church which was burned by the British in 1778 This Church has given to her Country Eighty-six Ministers of the Gospel and seven Foreign Missionaries Midway, in St. John's Parish, now Liberty County, was the cradle of Revolutionary spirit in Georgia and two of her sons . . . — Map (db m8999) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Midway Congregational Church 1872 - PresentDorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
The Old Midway Congregational Church, two miles east on U.S. Highway 17, was formed by whites (Puritans & Congregationalists ) when they settled in Liberty County. They were driven to church by their black slaves who were allowed to sit in the church balcony during worship. Eventually, these slaves became members and certain slaves, such as William A. Golden (Golding) became Selectmen. When slavery ended, white members abandoned the Old Midway Church Building. The Church's . . . — Map (db m9070) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Midway Museum
Established by South Carolina Calvinists of English and Scottish extraction in 1752, the small settlement of Midway became `the cradle of the Revolutionary spirit in Georgia`. Two of Georgia`s three signers of the Declaration of Independence, Lyman Hall and Button Gwinnett, were sons of Midway, as were four Revolutionary Governors of the young state. Exhibits, documents and furnishings housed in the Midway Museum commemorate and reanimate the love of liberty which distinguished the Midway . . . — Map (db m8941) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Nathan Brownson
Georgia Colonial governor, trustee of the proposed University of Georgia, physician, Nathan Brownson became governor of Georgia in 1781, serving until Jan. 1782. Prior to this time Brownson served as a member of the Provencial Congress which met in Savannah July 4, 1775. He was, also, a delegate to the Continental Congress from 1776-1778 and was surgeon to a Georgia brigade. Born in Connecticut in 1742, a graduate of Yale College, Brownson studied medicine and practiced that profession in . . . — Map (db m8942) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — New Life For Dorchester Academy 1932-1940Dorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
J. Roosevelt Jenkins, who was Dorchester Academy's assistant principal, science teacher and athletic director, replaced Elizabeth Moore as principal after her death in 1932. He continued to strengthen the school's curriculum and the thriving athletic programs. During his administration, Dorchester Academy was in its academic prime. In 1934 the entire graduating class was admitted to college. Jenkins made sure the school kept its Georgia accreditation. In doing so, Dorchester Academy . . . — Map (db m9058) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-8 — Old Sunbury Road
The highway entering here is the Sunbury Road which once served as an arterial vehicular route from the interior of Georgia to the town of Sunbury, a former leading port and educational center, located 11 miles to the eastward on the Midway River. The stretch from this area to Sunbury was opened about 1760. In the early 1790`s the thoroughfare was extended to Greensboro via Swainsboro and Sparta. the old was was noted for its elevated course and few stream crossings. The route declined in importance when Sunbury lost commercial significance. — Map (db m8943) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Road to Sunbury1734
Important Colonial port of entry. First Masonic Lodge meeting in Georgia believed held here February 1734 with Oglethorpe as Master. — Map (db m8252) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — S.C.L.C. and the Voter Education Program 1962-1970Dorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
Citizenship Schools Dorchester Cooperative Center played a key role in the struggle for civil rights and the vote. In 1954, Septima Clarke, a school teacher from Charleston, SC and Esau Jenkins, a farmer and school bus driver from Johns Island, SC, were on the forefront of grassroots efforts to make voter registration a reality. With the support from the Highlander Folk School, they devised a plan to help rural adults to pass literacy and citizenship tests. The first . . . — Map (db m9066) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 17 C-6 — Savannah-New Inverness Road1736
This highway follows an old colonial road constructed in 1736 as a measure of defense against the Spanish and Spanish Indians by connecting the fighting Scotch Highlanders at New Inverness (now Darien) with Savannah. It was surveyed and cleared by soldiers and Indians furnished by Tomo-chi-chi under the direction of Capt. Hugh MacKay by order of Gen. James Oglethorpe. The road was traveled by such famous Georgians as Button Gwinnett, Dr. Lyman Hall, and John and Joseph LeConte. — Map (db m8944) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-14 — Sunbury and Fort Morris››—11 mi.→
he old town of Sunbury, 11 miles East on this road, was a leading port, said to rival Savannah in commercial importance. It was the first Seat of Justice of Liberty County. Sunbury Academy, established in 1788, was in its time the most famous School in South Georgia. the Rev. Dr. William McWhir, friend of Georgia Washington, was Principal of the Academy for 30 years. Fort Morris, about 350 yards south of Sunbury was an important post during the Revolution. It was here that Col. John McIntosh . . . — Map (db m8961) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — The Growth Of Dorchester Academy 1874 - 1930sDorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
In 1872, African Americans from Liberty County began another letter writing campaign; this time for a teach to replace Eliza Ann Ward. They requested that their next teacher be both a teacher and a minister. In the spring of 1874, the community finally received news that the American Missionary Association (AMA) had hired Floyd Snelson as their new teacher and minister for the Midway Congregational Church. By the end of the 1874 school term, two hundred and seventy pupils had attended. The . . . — Map (db m9034) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — 089-12B — The Rev. Mr. John Osgood
This is the grave of Rev. Mr. John Osgood, who came to Midway with the first settlers in 1754 from Dorchester, S.C., and served them faithfully as their minister and friend until his final sermon, May 5, 1773. born in Dorchester, one of their own people, Mr. Osgood received part of his education from their old pastor, the Rev. Mr. Fisher, and was graduated from Harvard in 1733. Ordained to the pastoral charge of the Congregational Church November 24, 1735, the Rev. Mr. Osgood ministered to . . . — Map (db m8945) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — The Story of the "Bell" at Dorchester AcademyDorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
The Midway Congregational Church bell played a very important role in the lives of Dorchester Academy students. It kept time by ringing with an echo that could be heard seven to ten miles away. The bell rang every day at six, seven, eight, nine, twelve, and three o'clock. The six o'clock bell awoke campus residents and marked a start time for area students walking to school. The breakfast bell rang at seven o'clock. The eight o'clock bell signaled the start of classes. When the ringing stopped, . . . — Map (db m9071) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — We want a school, we need a Teacher 1870-1872Dorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
In November 1870, William A. Golding, an African American member of the Georgia Legislature, wrote the American Missionary Association (AMA) on behalf of the people of Liberty County requesting a teacher. "They want a teacher," he wrote, "preferably one southern born, but would accept any available instructor." In 1871, the AMA responded to the requests of the community. Eliza Ann Ward, a staunch abolitionist from Massachusetts who previously taught in both Savannah, Georgia and Hilton Head, . . . — Map (db m9033) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Midway — Working Together at the Dorchester Cooperative Center 1930s-1940sDorchester Academy — Museum Of African American History
The Industrial Arts Department at Dorchester Academy taught students practical skills they could use in everyday life. The boys took classes in farming, woodworking, iron-working, and architecture. The girls were instructed in cooking, sewing, dressmaking and related industries. Most importantly, the students were taught teamwork and the basics of cooperative buying. The Dorchester Cooperative Center's efforts to encourage cooperative buying succeeded because the former students of Dorchester . . . — Map (db m9057) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Retreat — 089-3 — LeConte Botanical Gardens»— 5 —→
Five miles west of here on the old Post Road, the southern most postal route in America, is the site of the home and botanical garden of Louis LeConte, naturalist, mathematician, and scholar, for whom the famous LeConte Pear was named. A native of New Jersey, Dr. LeConte was married to Ann Quarterman, a member of Midway Church in 1812. He established his famed botanical gardens on his extensive plantation. In his attic he fitted a chemical laboratory which included novelties of a botanical . . . — Map (db m9079) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Riceboro — First African Baptist Church
The First African Baptist Church, the oldest black church in Liberty County, had its origins in the North Newport Baptist Church, founded in 1809. In 1818 the North Newport Church, composed of both white and black members, purchased this site and erected a church building here which had a gallery for the slave members. In 1854 the North Newport Church moved to Walthourville, but the black members in this area continued to use the old building. In 1861 the black members formed their own . . . — Map (db m9175) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Riceboro — 089-13 — Riceborough
Near the old North Newport Bridge, a short distance East of here, the Court House Square for Liberty County was laid out by Act of February 1, 1797. Riceborough was then the Seat of justice for Liberty County, and a Court House and Public Buildings were erected here on land given by Matthew McAllister, Esq. Thomas Stevens, Daniel Stewart, Joel Walker and henry Wood were named Commissioners. Riceborough was for many years an important port for the shipping of rice and other agricultural products from this area. — Map (db m9100) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Riceboro — 089-23 — Simon Munro←—0.6mi—«
In the family cemetery on this plantation, Westfield, Simon Munro, donor of the silver communion service used for many years in old Midway Congregational church, is buried. Early in the Revolutionary War, Simon Munro, a resident of St. John`s Parish, was banished from the State of Georgia, and forbidden to set foot within its border, becasue of his Tory activities. After repeated petitions from his friends and neighbors, the banishment was lifted and he was allowed to return to his home and family — Map (db m9200) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Riceboro — William Bartram TrailTraced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region
In 1773 William Bartram, here viewed Woodmanston Plantation, later the home of his friend, Naturalist John E. LeConte. — Map (db m8994) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Riceboro — Woodmanston Plantation
Established in 1760 by William and John Eatton LeConte, Woodmanston became one of Georgia`s earliest inland swamp rice plantations. In spite of Indian attacks and marauding armies during the Revolution, Woodmanston prospered. In 1810 control of Woodmanston passed to Louis LeConte, John Eatton`s son. Louis spent much of his time creating a botanical garden which became world famous for its collection of bulbs and camellias. Louis died in 1838 and his garden was eventually lost. Two of . . . — Map (db m9020) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Screven Fork — Old Post Road
This road on the right was established in 1736 by Gen. James Oglethorpe. First postal route south of Savannah Stage Coach Road and line of march of Revolutionary Soldiers. Saint John's Parish Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists March 3, 1950 — Map (db m9002) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), South Newport — 089-16 — Skirmish in Bulltown Swamp
In November of 1778, Lieut. Col. James Mark Prevost, with 100 British Regulars, and 300 Refugees and Indians under McGirth, crossed the Altamaha River and moved into Georgia, killing or taking prisoner all men they found, and ravaging the plantations. Continental troops and Militia marched against them. Near this spot, where the old Savannah to Darien road crossed Bulltown Swamp, a small detachment of Mounted Militia, Col. John Baker commanding, met and fought a delaying action with the . . . — Map (db m16082) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — Colonel's Island
Until about 1778 this island was called Bermuda, but afterward called Colonel’s Island because of the large number of colonels having plantations here. Major plantations included “Woodville,” “Herron’s Point,” “Maxwellton,” “Suligree,” “Maybank,: “Black Rock,” “Laws,” “Cedar Point,” “Hickory Hill,” “Dunham’s,” and “Melon Bluff.” Rice and indigo were the principal . . . — Map (db m62921) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — 089-12A — Fort Morris
Erected at the beginning of the Revolutionary War, to guard the Port of Sunbury and St. John`s Parish. Fort Morris was an enclosed earthwork in the shape of an irregular quadrangle. Surrounded by a parapet and moat. It contained a parade of about an acres. The fort was defended by more than 25 pieces of ordinance of varied size. It was named in honor of Captain Morris, who commanded the company of artillery by which it was first garrisoned early in 1776. Colonel John McIntosh commanded the . . . — Map (db m8950) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — Saint John's Lodge Number Six
Saint John`s Lodge Number Six, of Sunbury, Free and accepted Masons, was chartered by the Grand Lodge of Georgia, April 21, 1777, in Masonry 5777. Under an Act of the Legislature of Georgia, February 6, 1796, The Grand Lodge was incorporated and given power to corporate bodies under their jurisdiction. Under this new authority, the Grand Lodge, on June 5, 1802, " On motion ordered that Saint John`s Lodge Number Six, Sunbury hold their charter on paying arrearage due." Annual returns were made . . . — Map (db m9292) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — 089-4B — SunburyHome of Many Famous Persons
Many famous persons lived in the town of Sunbury. Among them was Dr. Lyman Hall, signer of the Declaration of Independence. It was also the home of Richard Howley and Nathan Brownson, later governors of Georgia; of John Elliott and Alfred Cuthbert, United States Senators; of Major John Jones and Major Lachlan McIntosh. Button Gwinnett, another signer of the Declaration of Independence, spent much time here as a Justice of St. John’s Parish, and Georgia’s third signer, George Walton, was among . . . — Map (db m8953) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — 089-20 — Sunbury Cemetery
In this cemetery are buried men and women whose lives contributed much to the early history of Georgia. Among these were the Rev. Wm. McWhir, D.D., and his wife. the Rev. Mr. McWhir was for 30 years the Principal of the famous Sunbury Academy. Born in Ireland, September 9, 1759 he was graduated from Belfast College and was licensed to preach by the presbytery of that City. He died in Georgia, January 30, 1851. Some burials were made in this plot in Colonial and Revolutionary Days, but most . . . — Map (db m9240) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — The Dead Town Of Sunbury
As General James Oglethorpe explored this area along the Medway River in 1734, he marveled at its potential for a seaport city. Captain Mark Carr was a member of Oglethorpe's regiment and an early settler in this area of Georgia. As trade increased in early colonial Georgia, Captain Carr petitioned for a land grant to bring Oglethorpe's idea into reality. He was allotted 500 acres from the King of England. Using this land, Carr established the town of Sundbury in 1758. Carr was . . . — Map (db m9201) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — The Famous Sunbury "Masonic" Oak
[West Face]: Northeast of this spot stood the famous Sunbury Oak of early Colonial Masonic legend. The tree is said to have been of tremendous size and provided an ideal place for safe, comfortable campsites. The legend of the Sunbury "Masonic" Oak is based on a tradition that has been passed down for generations from the earliest days of the Colony of Georgia. There is a strong belief that Georgia's first Masonic meeting was held under the protective branches of the great oak . . . — Map (db m9481) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — The Old Sunbury Road
The bustling seaport of Sunbury was once the largest city of this region of Georgia. Sunbury was the destination for many trading ships loaded with cargo from regions around the world. Rum, sugar, and slaves arrived from the West Indies. Clothes, tea, and iron goods were imported from Great Britain. The most valuable exports from the port of Sunbury were rice and indigo. Merchants and traders used the Old Sunbury Road to carry these goods throughout the coastal region. Heading . . . — Map (db m17242) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Sunbury — The Sunbury Cemetery
( Left Text ) The plan of Sunbury consisted of three community-owned squares: King's Square, Meeting Square, and Church Square. You are standing in the area that was once Church Square. This 350 by 350-foot area held the church to the north and the cemetery to the south. The cemetery was established with the town in 1758 and was used until early 1900s. The cemetery is defined today as a one-acre lot, but it was originally much larger. There may be unmarked graves outside the fence. . . . — Map (db m9239) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Walthourville — City of Walthourville History
( Front text ) Walthourville, Georgia Incorporated in 1974 "Organized by Women, Supported by Men" Honoring Mayor Lyndol Anderson The first mayor of the city of Walthourville, who was appointed by Governor Jimmy Carter in 1974. On April 10,1974 in the presence of a few friends, Attorney J. Noel Osteen Administered the Oat of Office to the Mayor Mrs, Lyndol Anderson and Councilwoman, Mrs. Faye Booth, Mrs Maxine Gaskin, Mrs. Carrie Kent, Mrs. Ardith Herbert, . . . — Map (db m15811) HM
Georgia (Liberty County), Walthourville — Walthourville Baptist Church
Founded in 1809, the North Newport Baptist Church has had several homes over the years. In 1923 the Church moved to this location and in 1952 the Church voted and renamed the church Walthourville Baptist Church. The original church did not have a building of its own, so it shared facilities with the Sunbury Baptist Church. In 1864 the church building was burnt by Gen. Sherman’s army as a signal for gunboats anchored in the channel. Before the building was burnt, the original Bible of the North . . . — Map (db m15800) HM
74 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 531 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.