HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Lincoln County Markers
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — 090-3 — General Elijah Clark
General Elijah Clark, "Hero of the Hornets Nest," and members of his family are buried in the enclosed cemetery. Their graves were first moved from their original burial places near Graball (10 miles North) to a site on the Community House Grounds in Lincolnton in 1952 to prevent inundation by the Clark Hill Lake. Following the establishment of Elijah Clark Memorial State Park by Legislative enactment, the graves were removed to the present site in 1955 by special dispensation of the Army Corps . . . — Map (db m9931) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — Lamar Family Cemetery
. . . — Map (db m62425) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — 090-2 — Lincoln County
Lincoln County was created by Act of Feb. 20, 1796 from Wilkes County. It was named for Maj. Gen. Benjamin Lincoln (1733-1810) of Hingham, Mass., who held the Chief Command of the Southern Department in the Continental Army. In 1781 he became Secty. of War. In 1789 he was appointed Collector of the Port of Boston. First County Officers, commissioned Sept. 15, 1796, were: James Hughes, Sheriff; Wm. Dowsing, Clerk Inf. Court; Abner Tatom, Clerk Sup. Court; Britain Lockhart, Coroner; Joel . . . — Map (db m46887) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — Lincoln County Confederate Monument
[Crossed Flags] 61-65 To the Memory of the Confederate Soldiers of Lincoln County — Map (db m57652) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — Lincoln County Veterans Monument
In Sacred Memory of the Men of Lincoln County Who Made the Supreme Sacrifice World War I Jesse H. Blackburn Titus B. Booker Richard E. Lewis Edward W. Smalley Ralph W. Humpreys Talmadge Bohler James C. Justice Thomas Flanigan World War II Henry Cawley John T. Soolsby Bob Guillebeau Henry N. Hames Grady R. Higdon Leonard Mobley Clyde A. Peeler Kenneth E. Smalley Russell Bradford Maynard Danner Joe E. Norman Lawrence Norman Stanley . . . — Map (db m57611) WM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — Lincolnton Presbyterian Church / Lincolnton Cemetery Lincoln County Georgia
. . . — Map (db m51426) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — 090-6 — Petersburg Road ←—→
North Georgia`s oldest road, which crosses the Highway U.S. 378 at this point, was originally an Indian Trail which led to their Trading Post in Augusta , Georgia. Later, this important trade route was used by pioneer white settlers in transporting cotton and tobacco from Petersburg, Georgia, on the Broad River to Augusta, Georgia. The present highway to Augusta traverses the original Petersburg Road at several points. — Map (db m46862) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — The Lewis Family Pavilion Dedicated May 3, 2003
The Lewis Family, America's First of Bluegrass Gospel Music, was organized in 1951. The Lewis Family has achieved worldwide recognition as an icon of bluegrass gospel music. From a modest but proud beginning in Lincoln County, the group has continued for over 50 years as it began; made up entirely of family members encompassing three generations. The Lewis Family hosted its own television show in WJBF-TV in Augusta for over 38 years and has won awards too numerous to list. In 1992, The . . . — Map (db m57616) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — 090-5 — Tory Pond
Tory Pond, 100 yards south from this marker, is the spot where a band of Tories were hanged for the murder of Colonel John Dooly, in 1780, while he slept in his home, located some 3/4 mile to the east. Previously, a number from this band had escaped across Broad River, were captured and executed at the cabin of Nancy Hart in Elbert County. — Map (db m21286) HM
Georgia (Lincoln County), Lincolnton — William Bartram Trail Traced 1773-1777 Deep South Region
In 1775 took William Bartram to Fort James on the "Petersburg Road" and passed through Lincoln County, parts now covered by Clark Hill Reservoir — Map (db m11509) HM
10 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 135 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.