|California (Los Angeles County), Altadena — 990 — Christmas Tree Lane|
|The 135 Deodar Cedar trees were planted in 1885 by the Woodbury Family, the founders of Altadena. First organized by F.C. Nash in 1920, the "Mile of Christmas Trees" has been strung with 10,000 lights each holiday season through the efforts of volunteers and the Christmas Tree Lane Association. It is the oldest large-scale Christmas lighting spectacle in Southern California. — Map (db m50989) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Santa Anita During World War II|
|Early in 1942 the US government designated Santa Anita Park for special usage during the war years.
Pursuant to Executive Order 9066 signed by President Franklin D. Roosevelt, from March 30, 1942 until October 27, 1942 the facility was used as an assembly and processing center for approximately 20,000 Japanese Americans prior to their displacement to interment camps in other areas of the country.
From 1942 until 1945, the government utilized the property as an Army Base – Camp . . . — Map (db m52752) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Arcadia — Seabiscuit — 1933-1947|
|Won 1940 Santa Anita Handicap
to become world's greatest
money winner at that time.
Charles S. Howard
1877-1950 — Map (db m52754) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Avalon, Catalina Island — Catalina Island Yacht Club — Founded 1924|
|The Catalina Island Yacht Club has been a welcoming landmark in Avalon Bay since the building was completed in 1924. One of the oldest and most unique yacht clubs in Southern California, it has a proud history rich in the lore and tradition of Catalina Island. Community groups and members from throughout the Western United States enjoy its enduring hospitality and fellowship while sharing a common love of Catalina Island and the City of Avalon. The clubhouse built and maintained by its members . . . — Map (db m49679) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Avalon, Catalina Island — The Leaping Tuna — (The Thunnus Thynnus or Bluefin Tuna)|
|The sport of big game fishing originated in Avalon when Charles Frederick Holder caught a 183 pound Blue Fin Tuna with sport fish tackle on June 1, 1898. This angling milestone inspired him to form the Tuna Club of Santa Catalina Island, an organization dedicated to promoting conservation of our marine recourses and good sportsmanship among anglers. It was once common for vast schools of tuna to arrive in early summer within view of the island, often amazing onlookers with their ability to make . . . — Map (db m49856) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Avalon, Catalina Island — 997 — The Tuna Club of Avalon|
|The Tuna Club of Avalon marks the birthplace of modern big game sportfishing. In 1898, led by Dr. Charles Frederick Holder, the club's founding members adopted the rules of conduct stressing conservationist ethics and sporting behavior. Today, their work remains the basis for the sport's internationally accepted principles. — Map (db m49678) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Big Boy — State of California Point of Historical Interest|
|This restaurant was built in 1949 by locals Scott MacDonald and Ward Albert and is the oldest remaining Bob's Family Restaurant in America. It was designed by respected architect Wayne McAllister incorporating the 1940s Transitional design of Streamline Modern Style while anticipating the Freeform 50s Coffee Shop architecture. The towering Bobs sign is an integral part of the building's design and its most prominent feature. — Map (db m52246) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Burbank City Hall|
|Burbank City Hall
April 18, 1996
This Property has been
Placed on the
United States Department
Of The Interior — Map (db m55763) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Burbank Post Office|
This property has been
placed on the
of Historical Places
by the United States
Department of the Interior — Map (db m55762) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Burbank's First City Hall|
|Burbank's first City Hall was built here in 1916. The building housed the offices of the City Council and City Manager, and was also home to the Police and Fire Departments. In 1943, these offices were relocated to the present-day City Hall across the street. The building was demolished in 1959 and replaced by a new Police Headquarters, which stood on this site until 1999.
The Burbank Heritage Commission thanks the Cusumano Family for recognizing Burbank's history. — Map (db m57665) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Burbank — Story Hardware|
|On this site in 1915, Thomas Story with sons Henry and Walter opened Story & Sons Hardware store. Thomas Story was one of Burbank’s earliest pioneers, arriving here in 1877. He opened Burbank’s first livery stable in 1899, and also farmed and sold real estate locally. When Burbank incorporated in 1911, Story became the first President of the Board of Trustees, an office corresponding to the current position of Mayor. Story died in 1937, but Story’s Hardware continued to operate on this site until 1986. — Map (db m55761) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Canyon Country — 590 — Lang Southern Pacific Station|
|On September 5, 1876, Charles Crocker, President of the Southern Pacific Company, drove a gold spike here to complete his company's San Joaquin Valley Line, the first rail connection of Los Angeles with San Francisco and Transcontinental lines. — Map (db m30663) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Carson — Robert A. Cinader|
|Robert A. Cinader's involvement with the Los Angeles County Fire Department began in 1971 when he filmed a pilot television movie about the county's fledgling paramedic program.
"Emergency" aired in 1972 and ran as a prime time show for five years with a weekly audience of 13 million people. The show brought attention and acclaim to the Los Angeles County Fire Department.
More importantly, it showed public officials across the nation that lives could be saved by local paramedic programs. . . . — Map (db m50349) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), City of Industry — 874 — William Workman Home|
|Home of pioneer William Workman. Workman and co-owner John Rowland developed the 48,790-acre La Puenta Rancho. Workman and co-leader Rowland organized the first wagon train of permanent eastern settlers which arrived in Southern California on November 5, 1841. Workman first began this home in 1842, then remodeled it in 1872 to resemble an English Manor House. — Map (db m50981) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), City of Industry — 874 — Workman Family Cemetery|
|"El Campo Santo," this region's earliest known private family cemetery, was established in 1850 by William Workman. The miniature Classic Grecian mausoleum was built in 1919 by grandson Walter P. Temple. Included in this cemetery are the remains of Workman, his family and descendents, partner John Rowland, friend Pio Pico (the last California Governor under Mexican rule), and his wife Maria Ygnacia Pico. — Map (db m50983) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Compton — 152 — Domínguez Ranch House|
[The arch way leading to the grounds is flanked by two markers:]
Domínguez Ranch House
Central portion built in 1826 by Manuel Domínguez.
Rancho San Pedro
Ten square leagues granted, provisionally by Governor Fages to Juan José Domínguez in 1784. Regranted by Governor Sola to Cristóbal Domínguez in 1822.
Battle of Domínguez Ranch
Fought on this rancho October 8 & 9, 1846, when Californians led by José Antonio Carrillo repelled United . . . — Map (db m64857) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Compton — 718 — First United States Air Meet|
|About one half mile southeast of this spot, on Dominguez Hill in historic Rancho San Pedro, the first Air Meet in the United States was held during January 10-20, 1910. Subsequently, this area has evolved into one of the world's leading aviation-industrial centers. — Map (db m50979) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Compton — 664 — Heritage House|
|The original house of two rooms was built in 1869 by A.R. Loomis. Other rooms were added by successive occupants. It was marked as the "Oldest House in Compton" in 1955; purchased by the city June 11, 1957; and removed from 209 South Acacia Street to its present site in that year. Restored, refurnished, and renamed by the citizens of Compton as a tribute to early settlers of the community, it was presented to the public April 14, 1958. — Map (db m50977) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Compton — PFC James Anderson — Vietnam War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient|
| PFC James Anderson Jr. was born in Los Angeles California on Jan. 22, 1947. While living in the Carson area, he attended Los Angeles Harbor College for a year and a half before joining the United States Marine Corps in February of 1966.
PFC James Anderson Jr. was assigned as a rifleman in Company F, 2nd Battalion Third Marine Division in the Quang Tri Province in the Republic of Vietnam. In an intense fire fight with enemy troops on Feb. 28, 1967, PFC. Anderson was mortally wounded when . . . — Map (db m62660) WM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 5 — American Legion Building|
|A portion of the original Spanish landgrant Rancho La Ballona
The American Legion Post #46 clubhouse was dedicated on August 9, 1930. Contractor Don S. Ely erected the building on this site over the first swimming pool in the area, on land donated for this purpose by Harry H. Culver. The structure was restored by new owner, Brotman Medical Center, and re-opened in 1984. — Map (db m49954) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 11 — Civil War Union Camp Latham — (1861-1862)|
|The First California Infantry, under Col. James H. Carleton, and First California Calvary, under Lt. Col. Benjamin F. Davis, marched from the port of San Pedro, 18 miles, a day's journey, to lay out Camp Latham. Named for U.S. Sen. Milton S. Latham, who also served as California's 6th governor, the purpose of the camp was to curb Southern sentiment. This Civil War tent encampment, California's initial southern staging area for the war, was located on the south side of Ballona Creek, in this . . . — Map (db m49960) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 1 — Culver City — Site of City Hall — Dedicated 1928|
|The city of Culver City incorporated in 1912, built its first permanent City Hall on this site in 1926. This is a portion of the original Spanish landgrant, Rancho La Ballona. — Map (db m49949) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 12 — Dr. Paul Carlson Memorial Park — First Park in Culver City|
|This land was first traversed by Native Americans, called Tongva, (later known as the Gabrielinos). Under Spanish rule, it was settled as a portion of Rancho La Ballona. After Culver City was incorporated in 1917, the property became a horseracing track (1923-24), and in 1924, a reported 50,000 people attended the opening of "The Speedway," a board racetrack.
This section was designated as "Victory Park," the first park in Culver City in 1927. The name was changed in 1964 by the city . . . — Map (db m49961) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 10 — La Ballona School|
|Originally a wood-frame structure, classes began for the 1865-66 school year as a part of the Ballona School District. In its first year, there were 17 boys and 11 girls registered in 14 classes. The teacher, Miss Craft from Boston, received $50 a month, including board. The school year was seven months long, so children would work on the ranchos. Established on a portion of Rancho La Ballona, this is the oldest school in what became Culver City. It eventually became a part of the Culver City Unified School District. — Map (db m49959) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 6 — Main Street|
|Once a part of Rancho La Ballona, Main Street was so recorded in 1913, through the efforts of real estate developer Harry Culver, our city's founder. It was the hub of our city and the street address of the Harry Culver Co. In 1924, the 6-story Hunt Hotel, a local movie landmark, was built by Culver, later to be renamed the Culver City Hotel. — Map (db m51858) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 3 — St. Augustine's Church|
|In 1883 this land was donated by Señor J. Francisco Figueroa to the Roman Catholic Church of Los Angeles in order that a mission church be built to serve the people of La Ballona Valley. In 1887 a small wooden chapel was built on this site. Priests from Saint Monica's Church in Santa Monica regularly said mass here. This mission church was named after Saint Monica's son, Saint Augustine. It was the first church in what was to become Culver City. — Map (db m49951) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 4 — The Citizen Publishing Building|
|"Dedicated in perpetuity to the service of the people that no good cause shall lack a champion and that evil shall not thrive unopposed."
The Citizen Publishing and Printing Company, established in 1923 by Eugene Donovan was the oldest independent newspaper under continued family ownership in the Bay District. This site on which the Citizen Building was erected in 1929 is a portion of the original Spanish landgrant Rancho La Ballona. — Map (db m50078) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 7 — The Culver Studios|
|On this site in 1919, the Colonial Administration Building of what was to become one of Culver City's three major motion picture studios was completed. Built by and first producing film as the Thomas H. Ince Studios, it later became known as DeMille Studios, RKO, Pathe, RKO-Pathe, Selznick, Desilu, Culver City Studios, and most recently Laird International. On the back lot, such famous scenes as the "Burning of Atlanta" for Gone with the Wind were filmed. — Map (db m49955) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 9 — The Helms Building|
|Constructed in 1930 in Zig-Zag Moderne style, the Helms Building played an important part in the history of Culver City. It housed the Helms Bakery until 1969, a family owned business founded by Paul Helms. Helms Bakery was known as "the home of Helms Olympic Bread" since it was a food supplier for the 1932 Olympics in Los Angeles. Locals listened for the whistle of more than 1000 Helms Coaches as the vehicles traversed Southern California with their fresh baked goods. The building remains an . . . — Map (db m49957) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 2 — The Hull Building|
|The Hull Building was built on this site in 1925. Dr. Foster Hull, having the interest of his profession at heart, built the most modern medical offices and hospital possible for that time. Early in the 1930's, Louis Freeman acquired the building which served Culver City in its various uses and to this date has retained its original character. — Map (db m49950) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 8 — The Lugo Ranch|
|The Lugos, a Spanish landgrant family, arrived in the pueblo de Nuestra Senora La Reina de Los Angeles in the 1700's and settled prior to 1900 on this site. This was originally a portion of Rancho La Ballona which was established by the Machados.
Mercurial and Rita Reyes Lugo raised eight children here and remained until their deaths. Mercurial farmed, acted as water-overseer and was the unofficial lawman prior to the incorporation of Culver City in 1917.
This marker is dedicated to . . . — Map (db m51869) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Culver City — 13 — Veterans Memorial Building (VMB)|
|Culver City purchased a major portion of this land, known as Exposition Park, in 1938. It was officially designated as Veterans Memorial Park on August 8, 1949. Bond financing of $550,000 guaranteed the construction of the Veterans Memorial Building on the corner. The original plans promised a "recreational building with a stage, restaurant, film museum, playroom, and large gymnasium." The "tourist tower" was designed to view "back lot" movie sets at Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios across the . . . — Map (db m51867) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Downey — The Speedee McDonald's Store — Downey, California|
|This is the oldest existing McDonald's hamburger stand in the world. Its neon arches and red and white tile have become an icon of the California car culture of the 1950s. The towering neon chef, "Speedee," was McDonald's first mascot and symbolizes fast, efficient service.
Opened August 18, 1953, by Roger Williams and Burdette "Bud" Landon, Downey's was the third stand franchised by Richard and Maurice McDonald, who founded the chain in 1948.
Ray Kroc, then a Multimixer milkshake . . . — Map (db m51959) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Duarte — The Trails Restaurant|
|The Trails Restaurant started small, but vigorous in 1952 on land acquired in unincorporated territory along a two lane road known as Highway 66. A welcome stop for travelers, the steak house earned a reputation for its hefty portions, thick soups, crusty cheese bread, and lounge entertainment. When travelers abandoned Route 66 for the new faster freeways, The Trails relied on loyal local patrons.
Unexpectedly, in 2001, owners Edith Brothers and Robert Basha announced the closing of their . . . — Map (db m52460) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — 975 — El Monte|
|El Monte, on the bank of the San Gabriel River, played a significant part in California's early pioneer history. It was first an encampment on the Old Spanish Trail, and extension of the trail from Missouri to Sante Fe. By the 1850's some began to call El Monte the "End of the Santa Fe Trail." Early in that decade a permanent settlement was esablished here by immigrants from Texas. The first settlement in Southern California founded by citizens of the United States. — Map (db m50987) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), El Monte — The Frederick G. Exner Memorial Windmill — Erected February 17, 2000|
Donated by Frederick G. Exner to the El Monte Historical Society
Historical Artifact to Compliment the Osmund House Facility
This "The Aermotor Company" windmill was first erected in Gore, North Dakota, in April 1916, and served as a sole source for water production until approximately 1995, at which time Fred Exner purchased it for the El Monte Historical Society. This windmill functions today as it did in the early days of the 20th Century
Mayor - Rachel Montes • Vice Mayor - Jack . . . — Map (db m51290) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Encino — De La Osa Adobe — Los Encinos State Historical Monument|
|This dwelling, built in 1849 by Don Vincente de la Osa, was a favored stopping place for the numerous travelers on El Camino Real. It stands on land that is part of the one-square-league Rancho El Encino granted in 1845 by Governor Pio Pico to three Indians, Ramon, Francisco, and Roque, whose interests were purchased by Don Vincente. Originally the land was under the jurisdiction of Mission San Fernando Rey founded in 1797. — Map (db m61993) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Doctors House|
|The doctors house, a Glendale landmark, is named for the three prominent physicians Dr. G.V. Bogue, Dr. D.W. Hunt, and Dr. A.L. Bryant, and for DR. L.H. Hurtt chemist who made it their home. One of the few remaining residences of Queen Anne Eastlake style of architecture in Glendale, it was originally located on the northwest corner of Wilson and Belmont. When a permit was issued for its demolition in 1979, a successful rescue effort was initiated by Councilman John F. Day. The Glendale . . . — Map (db m55764) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — El Miradero — "A high place overlooking a wide view" — Constructed 1903|
|Known as Brand's Castle
Home of L.C. Brand-Pioneer and
Prominent developer in Glendale
Design by Nathaniel Dryden
Historical "City of Glendale California" Landmark — Map (db m56191) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Glendale — Miss American Green Cross — Re-creation of the American Green Cross Monument|
|Miss American Green Cross was originally dedicated on May 4, 1928 to represent the American Green Cross Society. The early environmental organization was dedicated to the "saving of American's greatest asset-trees". The first chapter of the Society was awarded to Glendale. The monument first stood on the grounds of old Glendale High School at the corner of Broadway and Verdugo Road.
Miss American Green Cross represents an early awareness of the earth's fragile environment. Inscriptions . . . — Map (db m56198) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Hawthorne — 1041 — Site of the Childhood Home of The Beach Boys|
|It was here in the home of parents Murry and Audree that Brian, Dennis, and Carl Wilson grew to manhood and developed their musical skills. During Labor Day weekend 1961, they, with cousin Mike Love and friend Al Jardine, gathered here to record a tape of their breakthrough song "Surfin'." This marked the birth of the rock group known worldwide as The Beach Boys, and the beginning of an historic musical legacy that would change the recording industry. The music of the Wilsons, Love, Jardine, . . . — Map (db m59320) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — Award of Excellence KTLA-TV|
|Award of Excellence KTLA-TV
The first television station west of the Mississippi, KTLA-5 has been a part of Los Angeles broadcasting since January 22, 1947. — Map (db m32469) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Hollywood — The Hollywood Reporter|
|The first entertainment trade paper
founded in Hollywood, California
September 3, 1930 — Map (db m32462) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — F/A, NASA Tail Number 842|
|This F/A-18 Hornet (bureau Number 161214) is a pre-production A-Model airplane whose first prototype rolled out of the McDonnell Douglas Plant on September 13, 1978. The Carrier-based Navel strike fighter did not become operational for several years after that. Derived from the Northrop YF-17, the Hornet was developed and produced jointly by Northrop and McDonnell Douglas. The particular F-18 served initially as a test aircraft for the U.S. Navy at Patuxent River, Maryland, before coming to the . . . — Map (db m52887) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — F-4 Phantom II — Boeing Plaza - Aerospace Walk of Honor|
| Panel 1: On loan from the United States Air Force, this F-4 Phantom II was acquired on November 7, 2001 from Edwards Air Force Base and transported to the Boeing Company facility at USAF Plant 42. Boeing volunteers worked many hours to restore the fighter to its original condition. In the early morning hours of September 21, 2002, the F-4 was transported here to Boeing plaza, where it proudly flies today.
Built by McDonnell Douglas [formerly McDonnell] in St. Louis, Missouri, the . . . — Map (db m51280) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — Tuskegee Airmen|
|"....the privileges of being an American" belong to those brave enough to fight for them."
Gen. Benjamin O. Davis, Jr.
In our tradition of honoring American aviators who have flown into the pages of history, the City of Lancaster dedicates this monument to the Tuskegee Airmen of World War II, America's first black fighter pilots. The sacrifices and triumphs of the "Red Tailed Angels" proved not only that they were worthy of their wings, but that the human spirit cannot be bound by . . . — Map (db m53030) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Lancaster — 658 — Western Hotel|
|This buiding, erected by the Gilroy family in 1876, this building was purchased in 1902 by George T. Webber, who operated it as the Western Hotel. The Lancaster Chamber of Commerce was organized in its dining room. Between 1905 and 1913, construction crews of the Los Angeles-Owens River Aqueduct were housed here, and it became a center of commercial and social activity in the early life of the community. — Map (db m53028) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — 1014 — Long Beach Marine Stadium|
|Created in 1932 for the rowing events of the Xth Olympiad, the Stadium was the first manmade rowing course in the United States. Its width allowed four teams to race abreast, eliminating additional heats and allowing oarsmen to enter the finals at the peak of their form. Later it served as the venue for the 1968 and 1976 United States men’s Olympic rowing trials and the 1984 United States women's Olympic rowing trials. The site remains an important training and competitive center for rowers, including our National and Olympic teams. — Map (db m2614) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — 978 — Rancho Los Cerritos|
|The 27,000-acre Rancho was once part of an 18th-century Spanish land grant to soldier Manuel Nieto. The Monterey-style adobe was constructed in 1844 and served the Temple and Bixby families as headquarters for large-scale cattle and sheep ranching operations in the 19th century. In the 1880s the land was subdivided for farming and city development. — Map (db m50988) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — Ranchos Los Alamitos - Los Cerritos - Los Coyotes|
| [Upper Marker - as seen in 2001] This monument marks the intersection of three original California Ranchos:
Rancho Los Alamitos
Rancho Los Cerritos
Rancho Los Coyotes
[Lower Marker - as seen in 2002]
Los Alamitos - Los Cerritos - Los Coyotes
This marks the common boundary point of these ranchos established at the death of Manuel Nieto by the partition of his 1784 Spanish land grant.
[Editors Note: It is assumed that the lower marker was . . . — Map (db m50231) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Long Beach — The Lone Sailor|
|The Lone Sailor
U.S. Navy Memorial — Map (db m51898) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 442nd Infantry World War II Memorial — Korean War Dead 1950 to '53 — Japanese-American Soldiers|
| Plaque mounted at the base of the obelisk
In Sacred Memory
This memorial is reverently placed here be the Japanese American Community, under the auspices of the Southern California Burial and Memorial Committee, in memory of American soldiers of Japanese ancestry who fought, suffered, and died in World War II that liberty, justice, and equal opportunity in the pursuit of happiness might come to all democratic and peace-loving people everywhere regardless of race, creed, color or . . . — Map (db m63533) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Angel’s Flight|
|Built in 1901 by Colonel J. W. Eddy, lawyer, engineer, and friend of President Lincoln, Angel's Flight is said to be the world's shortest incorporated railway. The counterbalanced cars, controlled by cables, travel a 33 percent grade for 315 feet.
It is estimated that Angel's Flight has carried more passengers per mile than any other railway in the world, over a hundred million in its first fifty years. This incline railway is a public utility operating under a franchise granted by the city of . . . — Map (db m32455) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Apex / Club Alabam — Historic Central Avenue Jazz Corridor — 42nd St. [sic] and Central Av.|
| Curtis Mosby, the conductor of the Dixieland Blue Blowers, opened the Apex on Thanksgiving 1928. The classy nightclub was home to revues featuring beautiful showgirls in extravagant costumes. Johnny Otis led the house band, but Alabam was the most popular stage for known jazz musicians who were on Central Avenue. — Map (db m51175) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Avila Adobe|
|This is the oldest existing house in Los Angeles. Built about 1818 by Don Francisco Avila, it was occupied briefly as American headquarters in 1847. Severely damaged in the earthquake of 1971, the house is now restored as an example of California life style of the 1840's. La casa mas antigua en existencia en Los Angeles. — Map (db m50943) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 656 — Bella Union Hotel Site|
|Near this spot stood the Bella Union Hotel, long a social and political center. Here, on October 7, 1858, the first Butterfield Overland Mail stage from the East arrived 21 days after leaving St. Louis. Warren Hall was the driver, and Waterman Ormsby, a reporter, the only through passenger. — Map (db m59812) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Biscailuz Building — 1925-26|
|This building, located on the site of the Juan Sepulveda adobe, was designed as the United Methodist Church Conference Headquarters and the Plaza Community Center. Today it serves as the Consulate-General of Mexico. In 1968, the building was re-named after Eugene Biscailuz, a former Los Angeles County Sheriff, who had helped Christine Sterling in her struggle to save this historic section of Los Angeles. In 1979, Leo Politi painted a mural on the south and east faces that depicts the Blessing . . . — Map (db m54751) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Chester Stock, Ph.D. - Observation Pit — Hancock Park — Rancho La Brea|
| Panel 1: Chester Stock, Ph.D. January 28, 1892 - December 7, 1950 Paleontalogist
Chief curator of science - Los Angeles County Museum Chairman of the Division of Geological Sciences California Institute of Technology who, encouraged by the foresight and generosity of G. Allan Hancock, inspired his many co-workers in developing and preserving the treasures of Rancho La Brea Presented by the Los Angeles County Museum Association. Panel 2: Observation Pit . . . — Map (db m51436) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Damien Marchessault|
|This street is named for Damien Marchessault, a French Canadian, who served twice as mayor of Los Angeles - from 1859-1860 and again from 1861-1865. During his terms in office, the Plaza Church was rebuilt and the City Gas Company was organized. Marchessault and a partner, Jean Louis Sainsevain, worked to provide water for Los Angeles through a system of hollow log pipes.
As Mayor, Marchessault supported a proposal to split California into two states, but this was not approved by the . . . — Map (db m54748) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Eagle Squadrons|
|In September 1940, during the Battle of Britain, there was formed in Yorkshire a Royal Air Force Squadron manned by American volunteers. This was 71 (Eagle) Squadron, joined in 1941 by 121 (Eagle) and 133 (Eagle) squadrons.
244 American and 16 British pilots were posted and these units participated in action against the German foe from across the English Channel until September of 1942, at which time they were handed over to the United States Army Air Force.
During service with the . . . — Map (db m51500) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Father Junipero Serra 1713-1784|
Upper marker - English
Born on the island of Majorca, off the coast of Spain, Father Serra was ordained in Palma where he taught for fifteen years before being sent to Mexico as a missionary in 1749. In 1769 he became Padre Presidente of the Franciscan missions in Baja California. That same year he accompanied Gaspar de Portola on a colonization expedition to San Diego where he founded the first of the nine missions he established in Alta California. Despite an injured leg and . . . — Map (db m54556) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — First Mayor of Los Angeles Under United States Rule — Los Pobladores — The Founders of the City of Los Angeles|
|The Founders of the City of Los Angeles: Vanegas, Quintero, Rodriguez, Villavicencio, Navarro, Rosas, Camero, Rosas, Moreno, Mesa,
Before 1850, the chief executive of the pueblo was the alcalde, who sat on the ayuntamiento (council) and served as both mayor and judge. The office of the Mayor and the Common Council were established when the city was incorporated in 1850. Alpheus P. Hodges, a physician, was elected the first Mayor of Los Angeles, serving from 1850-51. He . . . — Map (db m55296) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Fort Moore — Pioneer Memorial and Park|
|On this site stood
Fort Moore built by the
Morman Battalion during
the War with Mexico
This memorial honors the troops who helped to win the South West.
The Flag of the United States was raised here on July 4th 1847
by United States Troops at the First Independence Celebration in Los Angeles.
The United States 1st Dragons who fought at San Pasqual.
The New York Volunteers who came by sea.
The Mormon Battalion which made one of the . . . — Map (db m52461) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 247 — Hancock Park — La Brea Pits|
The Citizens of Los Angeles County
In December 1916 by
Captain Allan Hancock
With a request that the scientific
features be preserved
First historic reference to the tar pools
Recorded in the diary of Caspar dePortola'
In August 3, 1769
Originally a portion of the Rancho LaBrea
Granted by Governor Alvarado 1840 — Map (db m59013) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Headquarters of Commander Robert Field Stockton — Avila Adobe|
Com. Robert Field Stockton
January 1847 — Map (db m51245) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 535 — Hollywoodland's Granite Retaining Walls and Interconnecting Granite Stairs|
Retaining Walls and
Built 1923 Declared 1991
Historic-Cultural Monument No. 535 — Map (db m31537) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — In Honor|
| Homage to Our Mexican-American Heroes
Veterans of America's Wars.
Covered with glory, their ideals of service provide power to America, for peace and for human dignity. Long live America during this time of such power.
Homenaje a nuestros heroes Mexicano-Americanos veteranos de las guerras de Los Estados Unidos de America para la paz y dignidad humana. Viva America durante el tiempo de tal poder! — Map (db m54554) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — James Dean — 1931 - 1955|
|Key scenes from the
classic motion picture "Rebel Without a Cause"
were filmed at the Griffith Observatory
in Spring 1955. Although many movies
have been filmed at Griffith Observatory,
"Rebel Without a Cause"was the first to
portray the Observatory as what it is and to contribute positively to the
Observatory's International reputation.
This monument acknowledges Griffith Observatory's long and continuous
involvement with Hollywood film
production by remembering the young
star of . . . — Map (db m20240) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Jones Building — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|Doria Deighton Jones was the widow of wealthy industrial John Jones who died in 1876. The Jones family formerly lived in a large adobe home which was torn down in 1886 when Bath Street was widened and made an extension of Main Street. Doria had at first planned to build a hotel on the three lots where the adobe stood, but instead, because the area was changing from residential to industrial usage, she constructed a flat-roofed one-story building divided into five separate machine shops. . . . — Map (db m64218) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Latino Blood, American Hearts|
|This site is dedicated to the Latino-American Heroes who received the Congressional Medal of Honor, our nation's highest award for bravery. For love of country, they performed above and beyond the call of duty.
Heroes y compatriotas, con orgullo y honor los saluda nuestro pueblo!
Heroes and countrymen, greet our people with pride and honor!
To all Medal of Honor Recipients
Courage and Gallantry graced their deeds and their guide . . . — Map (db m54732) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 156 — Los Angeles Plaza|
|This site was part of the lands originally granted to El Pueblo de la Reina de Los Angeles in 1781 by the King of Spain, Carlos III, under the Spanish Law of the Indies. The first plaza of the pueblo had been located to the southeast, closer to the Rio Porciuncula (Los Angeles River). When the river flooded, the pueblo was moved to higher ground. Shortly after the dedication of the Plaza Church in December 1822, the plaza's location was changed again to the present site. — Map (db m50945) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Los Angeles Union Passenger Terminal — 1939-1989|
|Constructed by the Southern Pacific, Santa Fe and Union Pacific Railroads, opened on May 7, 1939. It was considered to be the most impressive railroad station of its type in the entire west.
In it's heyday the terminal covered 52 acres, employed 1,100 persons, served 56 trains per day, and handled 23 million sacks of mail annually.
Through the portals of this historic edifice have passed the great and the near-great of the world. — Map (db m54551) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Machine Shop — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|The Machine Shop is a one-and-a-half story building that was built on Main Street around 1910. It is located on the site of what is believed to have been the stables of Doria Deighton Jones' adobe home which was torn down in 1886, and was built by her daughter, Constance Jones Simpson. The first tenants of the building were engaged in such industries as tinsmithing, electroplating, metal patterning and machining.
With the advent of the Mexican market place on Olvera Street in 1930, the . . . — Map (db m64220) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Main Street — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|Main Street is one of the oldest streets in Los Angeles. Originally called by its Spanish name, Calle Principal, it was included in the first survey map of Los Angeles, drawn by Lt. E. O. C. Ord in 1849. The street ran from south of First Street to the north side of the Plaza. In 1883 the City Council passed an ordinance declaring that Bath Street would be widened to become an extension of Main Street. The work was carried out in 1886. In 1890 the portion of Main Street that ran from . . . — Map (db m64219) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Merced Theatre — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|The Merced Theatre was built in 1870 and is one of the oldest structures erected in Los Angeles for the presentation of dramatic performances. It served as the center of theatrical activity in the city from 1871 to 1876. The theatre was built by William Abbot, the son of Swiss immigrants who settled in Los Angeles in 1854. In 1858, he married the woman for whom he would name the theatre, Maria Merced Garcia, the daughter of Jose Antonio Garcia and Maria Guadalupe Uribe, who were long-time . . . — Map (db m50952) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 144 — Nuestra Senora la Reina de Los Angeles — Our Lady Queen of Angels|
|This tablet commemorates the
one hundredth anniversary
of the erection of this church
Our Lady Queen of Angeles.
Built in 1814 by the Franciscan
Fathers, restored and enlarged in 1912
Right Reverend Thomas James Conaty
being Bishop of
Monterey and Los Angeles. — Map (db m50935) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 159 — Pico House — El Pueblo de Los Angeles|
|The Pico House was built by Pio Pico, last Governor of California under Mexican rule, who lived almost the entire length of the nineteenth century from 1801 to 1894. This was the first three story building and the first grand hotel in Los Angeles. Pico chose architect Ezra F. Kysor to design the "finest hotel in Los Angeles." To raise funds for the building and furnishing of the hotel, Pio and his brother Andres sold most of their vast landholdings in the San Fernando Valley. Construction began . . . — Map (db m50949) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 730 — Plaza Fire House|
|Dedicated to the firemen of the Los Angeles Fire Department - past, present and future - who, since 1871, by their courage and faithful devotion to duty have protected the lives and property of the citizens of Los Angeles from the ravages of fire. — Map (db m51301) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 655 — Portola Trail|
|Spanish colonization of California began in 1769 with the expedition of Don Gaspar de Portolá from Mexico. With Captain Don Fernando Rivera v Moncada, Lieutenant Don Pedro Fages, Sgt. José Francisco Ortega, and Fathers Juan Crespí and Francisco Gómez, he and his party camped near this spot on August 2, 1769, en route to Monterey. — Map (db m59292) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — Site of the Vine Street Brown Derby — 1628 Vine Street — #22|
|The most famous Hollywood restaurant of its day, the Brown Derby opened Valentine's Day, 1929. Owner Robert Cobb was also the inventor of the Cobb Salad. He originated furnishing telephones at tables during mealtime. celebrities popularity was gauged by the number of phone pages they received. Clark Gable proposed to Carole Lombard here in booth 54. Caricatures of movie stars decorated the walls. Damaged by fire and later by earthquake, it was demolished in 1994. — Map (db m17517) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — 567 — St. Vincent's Place|
|This was the site of Saint Vincent's College from 1868 to 1887. The college, now Loyola University, was founded by the Vincentian Fathers in 1865 and was the first institution of higher learning in Southern California. — Map (db m62897) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Downbeat Club — Historic Central Avenue Jazz Corridor — 4201 Central Avenue|
| The Down Beat was part of what was known during the War years as “Little Harlem”. It was a popular destination for Hollywood celebrities and the upper-class residents of Beverly Hills. Buddy Collete created his Stars of Swing in 1946 at the Down Beat. The show featured Collette on saxophone and clarinet, Charles Mingus (bass), John Anderson (trumpet), Oscar Bradley (drums), Spaulding Givens (piano), Lucky Thompson (tenor saxophone), and Britt Woodman (trombone). — Map (db m51234) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Indians of Southern California|
|This plaque and garden are dedicated to the memory of the first peoples who lived in what is now the County of Los Angeles. Some of the earliest Indians were members of the Uto Aztecan linguistic family or were descended from the Shoshone Tribe. They lived in villages close to the ocean or to rivers and streams.
The Indians had dishes of soapstone and steatite and simple tools such as scraping stones and fish hooks, and they made excellent baskets. Their houses were of a circular shape . . . — Map (db m54552) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — The Old Spanish Trail — El Antiguo Camino Español — 1829 - 1848|
|This plaque marks the end of the Old Spanish Trail, an historic pack trail from Santa Fe to the Pueblo of Los Angeles. This trail was used by Mexican traders who brought woolen goods from New Mexico to trade for highly prized California mules and horses, and by emigrants to California. The trail originated as a trade route between New Mexico and Utah during the Spanish colonial era and then extended west to California during the Mexican period.
Esta . . . — Map (db m54874) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Los Angeles — William Mulholland — 1855 - 1935|
|A penniless Irish immigrant boy who rose by the force of his industry, intelligence, integrity and intrepidity to be a sturdy American citizen, a self-educated engineering genius, a whole-hearted humanitarian, the father of the city's water system, and the builder of the Los Angeles City Aqueduct:
This memorial is gratefully dedicated by those who are the recipients of his unselfish bounty and the beneficiaries of his prophetic vision. — Map (db m32188) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Malibu — 966 — The Adamson House|
|Designed by Stiles O. Clements in 1929, this Spanish Colonial Revival home contains the best surviving examples of decorative ceramic tile produced by Malibu Potteries. During its short existence from 1926 to 1932, Malibu Potteries made an outstanding contribution to ceramic art in California through its development and production of a wide range of artistic and colorful decorative tile. The home was built for Merritt Huntley Adamson and Rhoda Rindge Adamson, daughter of Frederick Hastings . . . — Map (db m50986) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Manhattan Beach — 1018 — Manhattan Beach State Pier|
|Designed by City Engineer A.L. Harris, this pier was constructed by the City of Manhattan beach during the years 1917-1920. The roundhouse building was added a year later. Harris' innovative design featured a rounded end to the pier, which helped it withstand the pounding of the Pacific. Although the roundhouse was reconstructed in 1989, the pier itself survives as Southern California's oldest remaining example of early reinforced concrete pier construction. — Map (db m50990) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — "This Fountain"|
|A replica of one in Cordoba, Spain; was built around 1812-1814 and was part of the water system in San Fernando Mission garden.
100 years later this garden was the property of Mr. Leslie C. Brand, who donated a part of it to Los Angeles for a park.
When the Los Angeles Park Department undertook to restore the mission garden in Brand Park, this fountain was presented to Los Angeles by Mr. Brand; it was moved bodily from its former location, a distance of 300 feet, to its present site. July 4, 1922 — Map (db m39445) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Fray Fermin Francisco DeLasuen, O.F.M. — (1736-1803)|
|Born in Victoria, Spain - 1736. Joined the Franciscan Order in 1751. Sent to the College of San Fernando in Mexico City in 1759.
Labored in Mexico and Baja, California until 1775. Spent 10 years at Mission San Diego.
Selected 2nd Presidente of the Missions succeeding Fr. Serra.
Established 9 missions, including San Fernando.
Buried at Carmel in 1803. R.I.P. — Map (db m40046) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — Mission San Fernando, Rey de España|
| 1. Historical Museum
The museum exhibits a pictorial history of the mission, pottery, santos, trade and commerce items, together with an extensive collection of early mission baskets given by Marie and Mark Harrington.
2. Mayordomo’s House
The foreman of the mission ranch (which was 121,542 acres) lived here. In 1806, the mission produced 12,868 bushels (mostly corn and wheat). In 1819, the livestock (principally cattle, sheep and horses) numbered 21,745. San Fernando . . . — Map (db m61502) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Mission Hills — 157 — San Fernando Mission|
|Founded in 1797 by Father Fermin Francisco Lasuen
We honor those men of faith, courage and vision who guided the founding of the mission and also those who have preserved it for posterity — Map (db m50946) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Montebello — 385 — Battle of the Rio San Gabriel|
| . . . — Map (db m51042) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Mt Baldy Village — 514 — Pomona Water Power Plant|
|The first hydroelectric installation in California for long-distance transmission of alternating current at high voltage was built in 1892 on San Antonio Creek below this spot by the San Antonio Light and Power Company organized by Dr. Cyrus Grandison Baldwin, President of Pomona College. The first high-voltage transformers built by George Westinghouse for this installation provided for transmission of 10,000 volts from this plant to Pomona. — Map (db m155) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 1006 — Beale's Cut Stagecoach Pass|
[This site was designated as California Registered Historic Landmark No. 1006 on May 11, 1992.
There are three rock and concrete bases which at one time displayed three different plaques. The plaques are now missing.]
California Office of Historic Preservation Statement of Significance:
Beale's Cut is the only physical and cultural feature of its kind in the entire Los Angeles Basin. At the time of its construction in 1862, the actual creation and maintenance of the Cut was . . . — Map (db m60396) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — Eternal Valley|
In 1769 Spanish padres sent out by Father Junipero Serra recommended this property as a mission site. It became instead a farm and ranch for the San Fernando Mission.
A stage coach stop called Lyons Station, was established here in 1854 & by the end of the Civil War internments had been made in this cemetery
In 1888 when the property was . . . — Map (db m20114) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — Last Horse Drawn Hearse of Los Angeles County|
|This vehicle was manufactured at about the same time the first internments were made in this cemetery – 1860. — Map (db m20097) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 688 — Lyons Station|
|This site was the location of a combination store, post office, telegraph office, tavern, and stage depot accommodating travelers during the Kern River gold rush in the early 1850s. A regular stop for Butterfield and other early California stage lines, it was purchased by Sanford and Cyrus Lyons in 1855, and by 1868 at least twenty families lived here. Eternal Valley Memorial Park has called their final resting place "The Garden of the Pioneers."
California Registered Historical Landmark . . . — Map (db m20098) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — Oak of the Golden Dream|
In 1839, the Mexican Government granted to
Antonio del Valle some 48,000 acres of
The Santa Clarita Valley known as the Del Valle Rancho.
On March 9, 1842, Francisco Lopez y Arbello, the brother-in-law of Antonio del Valle, visited the Rancho. While napping under a great oak tree, he dreamt that he was surrounded by gold and was very rich. Upon awaking, he picked a bunch of wild onions that were growing around some sycamore trees just north of the great oak tree. Attached to the onion . . . — Map (db m20112) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 168 — Oak of the Golden Dream|
|Francisco Lopez made California’s first authenticated gold discovery on March 9, 1842. While gathering wild onions near an oak tree in Placerita Canyon he found gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. The San Fernando placers and nearby San Feliciano Canyon were worked by Sonoran miners using panning, sluicing and dry washing methods. Lopez’s find predated James Marshall’s strike at Sutter’s Mill by six years.
California Registered Historical Landmark No.168
First registered . . . — Map (db m51516) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 136 — Oak of the Golden Dream — * ← 9 Miles *|
|In Placeritas Canyon, March 1842, Francisco Lopez Y Arballo, while gathering wild onions from around an old oak, discovered gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. It is estimated that $80,000 in gold was discovered as a result of this discovery. — Map (db m51669) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Newhall — 172 — Pioneer Oil Refinery — ← 3 Miles|
|In 1875 the Star Oil Company, one of the predecessors of the Standard Oil Company of California, drilled its first Pico Canyon well, which yielded about one hundred barrels per day. The discovery resulted in the erection of the first commercial oil refinery in California the following year. — Map (db m30665) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — Pierce Brothers Valhalla Dignity Memorial — Vietnam Wall Experience|
| “Solders rest thy warfare O’er.
Dream of fighting fields no more
sleep the sleep that knows not breaking
morn of toil, nor night of waking.”
~Sir Walter Scott — Map (db m55760) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), North Hollywood — 980000246 — Portal of the Folded Wing — Shrine to Aviation|
Dedicated To The Honored Dead Of American Aviation On
The 50th Anniversary Of Powered Flight, Dec. 17, 1953,
By Lt. Gen. Ira C. Eaker USAF (Ret.)
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Beneath The Memorial tablets in this sacred portal
rest the cremated remains of famous flyers who
contributed so much to the history and development
of aviation. The bronze plaques upon the marble walls
memorialize beloved Americans who devoted their lives
to the advancement of the air age. Administered . . . — Map (db m29365) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pacific Palisades — 881 — Port Los Angeles — "The Long Wharf"|
|In 1893 the Southern Pacific Railroad Company completed its 4,720-foot wharf which served as a deep water port for the Los Angeles area. After San Pedro became Los Angeles' official harbor in 1897, shipping activity at Port Los Angeles declined. Ultimately abandoned and dismantled. No trace remained of what was once the longest wooden pier in the world. — Map (db m50984) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pacoima — 716 — The Griffith Ranch|
| Originally part of the San Fernando mission lands, this ranch was purchased by David Wark Griffith, revered pioneer of silent motion pictures in 1912, it provided the locale for many western thrillers, including "Custer's Last Stand", and was the inspiration for the immortal production, "Birth of a Nation." It was acquired by Fritz B. Burns in 1948, who has perpetuated the Griffith name in memory of the great film pioneer. — Map (db m54717) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — A.W. "Tony" LeVier 1913-1998|
|Born in Duluth, Minnesota, on February 14th, 1913. In the 1930s he won the junior pilot aerobatic meet, barnstormed the country, operated two flying schools and competed in air races. In 1941 he joined the Lockheed Aircraft Corporation and tested the P-38 Lighting, XP-80A jet fighter and the XP-80 Shooting Star. Authored "Pilots Report on Supersonic Flight."
Flight tested the XF-104 Starfighter, the T-33 trainer, and the U-2 reconnaissance aircraft and made several safety improvements to . . . — Map (db m64621) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — B-2 Spirit — Nicknamed "Stealth Bomber" — General Information|
| Manufacturer: Northrop Grumman Corporation
Production Period: 1993 to 1997
Number Produced: 21
Production Series: Production Blocks 10, 20, and 30
Roles: Originally designed as a land-based all-weather intercontinental heavy-bomber for the US Air Force for nuclear weapons delivery, able to penetrate the most sophisticated air defenses with its low-observable (stealth) characteristics for the Cold War; later modified to also deliver conventional and guided weapons. . . . — Map (db m47722) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — Blackbird Air Park — Air Force Plant 42|
Blackbird Wind Tunnel Model
Aircraft models such as this are used in high-speed wind tunnels to test aerodynamic shapes, stresses, and temperatures. This particular model was used for testing all three versions of the Blackbird--the A-12, YF-12, and SR-71--through the use of different nose sections. It is displayed with an SR-71 nose section installed. The nose section on the left is a YF-12 and the one on the right is an A-12.
[Panel . . . — Map (db m51182) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — F-86F-30|
| [Right Panel:]
A/C SN: 23231
FAA Registration N91FS
Date Acquired: August, 1998
From: Own, donated by Tractor Corp
Displayed: October, 1998
23 April 54 - First Flight
11 May 54 - Assigned to the RCAF and assigned to 421 Sq, RCAF at Grostenquin, France
1960 - Assigned to Maritime Aircraft Repair and Overhaul, Moncton, Canada
1972 - Sold to Bankers Leasing Inc, Washington DC and registered as N231X
1978 - Sold to Ronald . . . — Map (db m47721) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — James J. Stegman 1920 - 2009 / A-4C Skyhawk|
|James J. Stegman
1920 - 2009
Born Aug 23, 1920, in Offerle, Kansas. He was the 6th son of 18 children. In 1940, he joined the U.S. Marine Corps as a Private. As he worked up in rank to Sergeant, he also was sent to pilot school. He received his wings in 1943. A few months later, he was sent to the South Pacific for 14 months duty in World War II flying dive bombers. In 1951, he was recalled to active duty in Korea where he flew missions in jets for 10 months and attained the rank of . . . — Map (db m47729) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — Palmdale School House|
|Built in 1886
Dedicated to the Citizens of Palmdale.
October 16, 1986
On April 10, 1888 the Palmdale School District was formed and this building served as its first school. The school, located near 27th East & Ave R-8, was attended by the children of the German Lutheran settlers from Nebraska and Illinois. In 1899 the colony was disbanded and in 1908 the school was moved to Lancaster, where it served as a residence. Mr. and Mrs. Glen Settle purchased the building in 1960, at which . . . — Map (db m53031) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — Stanley P Butchart 1928 - 2008 / C-140 Jetstar|
|Stanley P Butchart
1928 - 2008
After receiving primary and secondary civilian pilot training. Butchart enlisted in the U.S. Navy in July 1942. Upon his completion of flight training at Corpus Christi, Tex., he joined torpedo-bomber Air Group VT-51 and flew the Grumman-General Motors TBM Avenger from the aircraft carrier San Jacinto in South Pacific during World War II. He earned a Distinguished Flying Cross and a Presidential Unit Citation among other service medals. While continuing . . . — Map (db m47723) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — The Aerospace Valley — They All Had The Right Stuff|
|With more than 150 "First Flight" records and numerous milestone in flight, the Antelope Valley has been home to Aerospace throughout the century. These numerous accomplishments include:
-Air Force Capt. Charles E. "Chuck" Yeager's breaking of the sound barrier in the Bell X-1 in 1947.
-Air Force Maj. Arthur "Kitt" Murray becoming the First Man to see the curvature of the earth in the Bell X-1A in 1954.
-Air Force Maj. William J. "Pete" Knight's record as the "Fastest Man Alive" flying . . . — Map (db m55372) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Palmdale — The San Andreas Fault|
|One of the most outstanding geological feautures in California, extending for over 650 miles from Point Arena, North of San Francisco, to south of San Corconio Pass. Between twenty and thirty miles deep and more than a mile wide in some locations. The faulted sandstone and shale, contorted and sheared may be seen by looking northward from this point, where the Antelope Valley Freeway cuts through the upthrusted ridge to the north. This fault is responisble for two of the greatest earthquakes in . . . — Map (db m55474) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Benjamin Davis Wilson — Don Benito|
|To the memory of
Benjamin Davis Wilson
1811 – 1878
Pioneer trapper and settler
who came to California in 1841
and in 1864 blazed the trail
up this mountain which bears his name — Map (db m57271) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Harvard’s Mount Wilson Station|
1889–1890 — Map (db m57273) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — Michelson Pier on Mount Wilson|
|On this pier in 1926
Albert Abraham Michelson
measured the velocity of light by means of a
beam of light transmitted to
Mount San Antonio
and reflected back to this station
— Map (db m57274) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 988 — Pacific Asia Museum|
|Grace Nicholson, a noted collector and authority on American Indian and Asian Art and artifacts, supervised the design of her combination gallery and museum which was completed in 1929. It has been called an outstanding example of 1920s revival architecture and is unique for its use of Chinese ornamentation. — Map (db m59818) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pasadena — 871 — The Gamble House|
|Built in 1908, the David B. Gamble House is a tribute to the genius of architects Charles Sumner Greene and Henry Mather Greene. Its design represents a unique California lifestyle and is a masterpiece of American craftsmanship. In 1966 it was made a gift by the Gamble family to the City of Pasadena in a joint agreement with the University of Southern California. — Map (db m59811) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pomona — 372 — Adobe de Palomares|
|Completed about 1854 and restored in 1939, this was the family home of Don Ygnacio Palomares, who with Don Ricardo Vejar was granted Rancho San Jose in 1837 by Governor Juan B. Alvarado. — Map (db m62384) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Pomona — 289 — First Home of Pomona College|
|On this site, September 12, 1888,
was held the first session of Pomona College. — Map (db m170) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Point Vicente Lighthouse|
|The site was explored by Juan Rodriguez Cabrillo on Oct. 9, 1542, and named Pointe Vicente Bante Maria by Captain George Vancouver in 1793. Placed in service by the U.S. Lighthouse Service on May 1, 1926, it was renamed Point Vicente by the Pacific Geographical Society in 1933. Operation was transferred to the U.S. Coast Guard in 1939. Radio distress monitoring capability was added in 1942. — Map (db m42108) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — 381 — Portuguese Bend Whaling Station|
|On the slopes below and west of this plaque stood the quarters of Portuguese whalemen who put out through the surf in boats under oars and sail to harpoon passing gray whales to be towed ashore where the blubber was stripped and "tried out" in large black iron try-pots to produce valuable whale oil for lamps and lubricants. Active from 1860 to 1885, this station began its decline with the advent of fossil oil; however, three of the original structures, the try-pots and crumbling furnaces . . . — Map (db m50975) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Rancho Palos Verdes — Site of the First Japanese American Farm on the Palos Verdes Peninsula|
|This site was designated a Point of Historical Interest at a meeting in regular session on May 1, 1992 in Sacramento. It particularly honors Kumekichi Ishibashi, who built the first Japanese-American farmhouse in 1906. He was born in Japan and came to San Francisco in 1905. Taking odd jobs, he worked his way through great difficulties to the Palos Verdes Peninsula, saving gold coins until he could lease land. When he reached Portuguese Bend, he felt that he found the perfect area. However, the . . . — Map (db m31245) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Redondo Beach — 373 — Old Salt Lake|
|This marker locates the site near which the Indians and early California settlers came to obtain their salt, which at many times was more valuable than gold. — Map (db m50973) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Dimas — La Cienega Mud Springs, Birthplace of San Dimas|
|La Cienega—Mud Springs, Los Angeles - San Bernardino - Sonora Road
Stage Station and campground.
A place favored by the Indians.
Near here in 1774 and 1776
Juan Bautisa de Anza—trailblazer, colonizer—and his followers passed on their way from
Sonora, Mexico to Monterrey, California.
And on November 12 1826
Jedediah Strong Smith,
trader, trapper, pathfinder,
one of the most heroic pioneers of the nation,
and the first American
to make his way overland to . . . — Map (db m241) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — Casa de Lopez|
| Erected by Valentine Lopez - 1882
Occupied by Geronimo Lopez - 1884
Purchased by City of San Fernando - 1971
Survived Major Earthquake - 1971
Restored by San Fernando - 1974-75 — Map (db m48392) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Fernando — Father Junipero Serra / Fray Junipero Serra|
Father Junipero Serra
Donated by Wm Hannon Foundation
Commemorating San Fernando Mission
Sept 1797 - Sept 1997
Fray Junipero Serra
Founder of the California Missions
In Memory of Eugenie B. Hannon — Map (db m48389) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Gabriel — San Gabriel Mission — Founded September 8, 1771|
|This marks the oldest building in Southern California of brick, stone and mortar. Built 1791-1805, completed and dedicated. — Map (db m50947) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial|
| Panel 1: American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial
The United States Merchant Marine has faithfully served our country in times of war and peace, hauling life and cargo to every corner of the world.
This memorial is dedicated to those brave men and women of all races, creeds and colors who answered that call to serve.
Dedicated National Maritime Day May 22, 1989 Panel 2:
Jasper D’Ambrosi [1926 – 1986]
The sculptor, Jasper D’Ambrosi was born and . . . — Map (db m58658) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial Wall of Honor|
| American Merchant Marine Veterans
Wall of Honor
Dedication: National Maritime Day, May 22, 2003
[List of state and local government officials]
Gene Frank Construction, Builder
Randall B. Montgomery, Engraver
Jerry Sturm, JSA, Design Architect
American Merchant Marine Veterans Memorial Committee, Inc.
[Lists of Officers, Directors, Committee Members and Advisers]
[Lists of "Platinum," "Gold" and "Silver" Contributors]
[Additional . . . — Map (db m50928) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Anna Lee Fisher - Astronaut — Los Angeles Maritme Museum|
| San Pedro’s
First Woman in Space
Aboard Space Shuttle Discovery
Nov. 8, 1984
Presented by an Admiring Community
Dec. 11, 1984 — Map (db m52529) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Battery Osgood-Farley Historic Site — "Home of the Fort MacArthur Museum" — Battle Honors, Third Coast Artillery|
|+ Battle Honors
Third Coast Artillery
War of 1812
Fort Nelson, VA. - June 22, 1813
Fort Oswego, NY. - May 5-6, 1814
Palo Alto - May 8. 1846
Resaca de La Palma - May 9, 1846
Monterey - Sept. 21-23, 1846
Vera Cruz - March 9-28, 1847
Cerro Gordo Contreras
Churubusco Molino Del Rey
Seminole - 1832-39
Creek - 1836
Cherokee - 1838
Seminole - 1849-50
Rogue River -1855
Washington - 1858
Civil War . . . — Map (db m50903) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Fishing Industry Memorial — 1883-1999|
| In 1892 Southern California Fish Corp. was the first cannery in Los Angeles Harbor. In 1903 a technique of preparing and canning was developed to can sardines, mackerel, bluefin tuna, yellowfin tuna and albacore. In 1912 the first fresh fish market was introduced in San Pedro and along with other markets that followed, they eventually supplied fresh and iced fish throughout our nation.
Before long, flotillas of purse seine boats were sailing down from northern waters to fish in San Pedro. . . . — Map (db m51072) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Fort MacArthur / 500 Varas Square Historic District — [Port of Los Angeles]|
| Juan Rodriquez Cabrillo, exploring for Spain, discovered Alta California and named San Pedro Bay, “Bahia de los Fumos” (Bay of Smokes, October 1542. The smoke on the Bay shore came from the native Suang-Na Indian Fires. Sebastian Vizcaino named San Pedro Bay in honor of Saint Peter of Alexandria (a 4th Century Christian Martyr of Egypt), November 1632.
Juan Jose Dominguez a retired Spanish soldier, received in 1784 one of the first land grants from Pedro Fages, the Spanish . . . — Map (db m51010) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Friendship Bell — Korean Bell of Friendship and Bell Pavilion, Angels Gate Park|
| The friendship bell, overlooking the Pacific Ocean, was presented as a gift from the people of the Republic of Korea to the people of the United States of America on the occasion of the American Bicentennial Jubilee to further the friendship and trust between the two nations. Cast with and alloy of tin, copper, cold, silver and phosphorus, the bell reflects the distinct characteristics and beauty of traditional Korean bells.
The knob of the bell comprises a dragon-shaped figure and a . . . — Map (db m51064) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Harry Bridges Memorial — ILWU|
| Panel 1:
1901 – 1990
of the ILWU
Harry Bridges was an Australian seaman who came ashore and started longshoring in San Francisco in 1922. Unsafe working conditions, corrupt hiring practices and low wages convinced Harry to join with other waterfront workers along the Pacific Coast to form a Union to fight for and protect workers interests. Their successful efforts led to the Big Strike of 1934 and creation of a . . . — Map (db m51146) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — 1021 — Liberty Hill|
|In 1923 the Marine Transport Industrial Workers Union 510, a branch of the Industrial Workers of the World (IWW), called a strike that immobilized 90 ships here in San Pedro. The Union protested low wages, bad working conditions, and imprisonment of union activists under California's criminal syndicalism law. Denied access to public property, strikers and supporters rallied here at this site they called "Liberty Hill." Writer Upton Sinclair was arrested for reading from the Bill of Rights to a . . . — Map (db m42107) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — 146 — Municipal Ferry Building - Maritime Museum|
| Municipal Ferry Building – 1941
linked San Pedro and Terminal Island
Maritime Museum since 1979
Declared Historio-Cultural Monument No. 146
by the Cultural Heritage Commission
Cultural Affairs Department City of Los Angeles — Map (db m52539) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Point Fermin Light House|
| Panel 1:
Point Fermin Light House
Dedicated by Stephen M. White
and Rudecinda Parlors
Native Sons and Native Daughters
of the Golden West
San Pedro, California
May 2, 1940 - Built 1874
Point Fermin Lighthouse
a Monument of American Seafaring
Susan B. Anthony Chapter DAR, 1974
U.S.A. Bicentennial — Map (db m51006) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Portuguese Bend|
|The Palos Verdes Peninsula is an up lifted block of land forced out of the sea at a rate of about 0.4 millimeters per year over the last 2 million years. Once an island, the peninsula is encircled by thirteen wave cut terraces. These broad "benches" were cut out of the rock by ocean waves when the rising land was still at sea level.
Portuguese bend is surrounded by the Abalone Cove and Portuguese Bend Landslides, and stands as a sentinel against the waves of the Pacific Ocean. The strata . . . — Map (db m42124) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — S.S. Lane Victory — [Port of Los Angeles]|
| Panel 1:
March: Lane Victory is named for the former slave, Isaac Lane, founder of Lane College, in Jackson, Tennessee. The Victory Ship was one of a class of cargo ships designed and built during World War II by the United States Maritime Commission.
June: Sea Trials completed.
June 27: The Lane Victory delivered to the American President Lines by the War Shipping Administration.
July 2: Lane Victory begins her first assignment, World War . . . — Map (db m50864) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Santa Catalina Island|
|Located approximately 20 miles from the mainland, Santa Catalina Island rises 2000 feet above sea level, approximately 500 feet higher than the Palos Verdes Peninsula. The island is over 20 miles long, making it the longest of the eight California Channel Islands. People have inhabited Santa Catalina Island for at least 7,000 years. Archaeologists have found evidence of complex material cultures with strong maritime traditions. Prior to the Spanish discovery of the island on October 7, 1542, it . . . — Map (db m42129) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — Stephen M. White — 1853 – 1901|
| Stephen M. White was elected Los Angeles County District Attorney in 1882, State Senator in 1886 and United States Senator in 1893. During his term in the United States Senate, Senator White’s most notable accomplishment was his successful leadership of the fight to create the Los Angeles Harbor in San Pedro as opposed to Santa Monica Bay, the site that was being advocated by powerful railroad interests. It is believed that the rigors of his battle with the railroad barons contributed to . . . — Map (db m52155) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — 384 — Timms' Point and Landing|
|In 1852 German immigrant Augustus W. Timms obtained Sepulveda's Landing on the mudflats near here. He built a wharf, added a warehouse, corral and other facilities to service shipping and running of stages to Los Angeles. Timms was a pioneer in the development of the harbor and for over fifty years this area was known as Timms Point. — Map (db m50976) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), San Pedro — U.S.S. Los Angeles — Naval Monument — Non sibi sed patriae ("Not for Self but for Country")|
| Seal of the U.S.S. Los Angeles: 1945 - 1977 U.S.S. Los Angeles
Heavy Cruiser CA-135
To the personnel and ships
of the United States Navy
Anchors - loan United States Navy
Mainmast & mooring bitts - donated by Joseph S. Schapiro
Capstan cover - donated by San Pedro Bicentennial Committee
Rigging – donated by Coordinated Equipment Company
Services – Roy Coats & Charles Slocombe
Plaque – C. M. Bailey, U.S.N. Ret. . . . — Map (db m61361) HM WM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 136 — Oak of the Golden Dream — * ← 6 Miles *|
|In Placeritas Canyon, March 1842, Francisco Lopez Y Arballo, while gathering wild onions from around an old oak, discovered gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. It is estimated that $80,000 in gold was discovered as a result of this discovery. — Map (db m31769) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Santa Clarita — 168 — Oak of the Golden Dream — * ← 2 Miles *|
|In Placeritas Canyon, March 1842, Francisco Lopez Y Arballo, while gathering wild onions from around an old oak, discovered gold particles clinging to the roots of the bulbs. It is estimated that $80,000 in gold was discovered as a result of this discovery. — Map (db m51668) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Santa Monica Pier — Santa Monica Landmark|
|The Santa Monica Pier was built in phases between 1908 and 1916. It originally consisted of a Municipal Pier for strolling and fishing and a Pleasure Pier for amusements. The Hippodrome was constructed in 1916 to house the Pleasure Pier's carousel, and is one of the last remnants of a festive architecture once found in most California seaside resort towns. The Pier was partially reconstructed between 1988 and 1990 after incurring major storm damage in 1983. Designated August 17, 1976. — Map (db m54157) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — The Santa Monica Pier Carousel|
|The Hippodrome (also known as the "Carousel Building") was built in 1916 by famous carousel carver Charles I.D. Looff. Its unique combination of Byzantine, Moorish, and California design made it easily identifiable among the festive, eclectic architecture of Santa Monica Bay in the early 20th century.
Among the last of its kind, the building was inaugurated into the National Register of Historic Places in 1987. The carousel housed inside a 1922 Philadelphia Toboggan Company Carousel (PTC . . . — Map (db m54160) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Santa Monica — Will Rogers Highway|
Humorist - World Traveler - Good Neighbor
This Main Street of America
was the first road he traveled in
a career that led him straight to
the hearts of his countrymen. — Map (db m51957) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Saugus — 919 — St. Francis Dam Disaster Site|
|The 185-foot concrete St. Francis Dam, part of the Los Angeles aqueduct system, stood 1½ miles north of this site. On March 12, 1928, the 185-foot high concrete dam collapsed just before midnight, sending 12½ billion gallons of water roaring down the Santa Clara River Valley 54 miles to the ocean. This was one of California’s greatest disasters: Over 450 lives were lost. — Map (db m30666) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Signal Hill — 580 — Discovery Well - Signal Hill Field|
| Shell Oil Company – Alamitos No. 1 •
June 25, 1921.
One of the world’s most famous wells, Alamitos No. 1, was started on March 23, 1921, and completed June 25, 1921, at a depth of 3,114 feet, flowing 590 barrels of oil a day.
This discovery well led to the development of one of the most productive oil fields in the world and helped to establish California as a major oil producting state.
This monument commemorating Alamitos No. 1 is a tribute to the petroleum pioneers . . . — Map (db m2476) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Stevenson Ranch — 516-2 — Mentryville|
|Mentryville, named after Charles Alexander Mentry, who drilled California's first successful commercial oil well in 1876, was one of the first oil towns in the state. Mentry's restored home, barn and Felton School remain on the site where the California Star Oil Works Co., a predecessor of Standard Oil Co. of California, was founded. — Map (db m30670) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 653 — “The Cascades”|
|This is the terminus of the Los Angeles-Owens River Aqueduct, which brings water 338 miles from the eastern slopes of the Sierra Nevada to the City of Los Angeles. Begun in 1905, the great aqueduct was completed November 5, 1913. The Mono Craters Tunnel project, completed in 1940, extended the system 27 miles to its present northernmost intake near Tioga Pass.
California Registered Historical Landmark No.653
Plaque placed by the California State Park Commission in cooperation with the Los . . . — Map (db m20089) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Sylmar — 753 — The San Fernando Pioneer Memorial Cemetery|
|This Cemetery, earlier known as Morningside Cemetery, is the oldest non-sectarian cemetery in San Fernando Valley. It was used from the early 1800's until 1939. It was legally abandoned in 1959. In this same year Mrs. Nellis S. Noble donated the site in memory of the pioneers of San Fernando as a Pioneer Memorial Park. — Map (db m54544) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Universal City — 151/29 — Campo De Cahuenga — Original Adobe|
| Beneath this park rest the stone foundations and floor tiles of the historic adobe where Mexican General Andres Pico and U.S. Lieutenant Colonel John C. Fremont signed the Treaty of Cahuenga on January 13, 1847. Signing the Treaty ended the hostilities in California between the United States and Mexico, and led to the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo, which ceded California to the U.S. and formally ended the Mexican-American War. The adobe, then owned by a Spaniard, Eulogio de Celis, may have been . . . — Map (db m51366) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — 556 — Rancho San Francisco|
|Approximately one-half mile south of this point was the adobe headquarters of Rancho San Francisco, originally built about 1804 as a granary of Mission San Fernando. The rancho was granted to Antonio de Valle in 1839. Here, in January 1850, William Lewis Manly and John Rogers obtained supplies and animals to rescue their comrades in a California-bound gold-seeking emigrant party that was stranded and starving in Death Valley, some 250 miles to the northeast. — Map (db m30667) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Valencia — The Ridge Route|
|The super highway of its day when opened in 1915. The Ridge Route, California’s first mountain highway, has been credited by some (for better or worse) as saving the state from being divided into two separate states. Constructed, graded, and paved at a cost of about $1,500,000, it was considered one of the most scientifically constructed mountain roads in the world. From Castaic in the south to Grapevine in the north The Ridge Route was 48 miles long and had 39,441 degrees of curves. Roughly . . . — Map (db m30783) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Watts — Watts Towers — National Historic Landmark — [Watts Towers of Simon Rodia State Historic Park]|
| Panel 1: Watts Towers
California Historical Landmark No. 993
Unconventional Life, Unconventional Art
Simon Rodia has been referred to as a visionary and a man of great passion. A self-taught laborer from Italy, he had a singular goal in life:
“I had in my mind I’m gonna do something, something big.”
He made his living as a cement worker and tile setter on construction jobs by day. He began his towers in 1921, working by himself on . . . — Map (db m51953) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Whittier — 127 — Casa de Governor Pío Pico|
|Following the Mexican War, Pío Pico, last Mexican governor, acquired 9,000-acre Rancho Paso de Bartolo and built here an adobe home that was destroyed by the floods of 1883-1884. His second adobe casa, now known as Pío Pico Mansion, represents a compromise between Mexican and American cultures. While living here the ex-Governor was active in the development of American California. — Map (db m50933) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Whittier — 681 — Paradox Hybrid Walnut Tree|
|Planted in 1907 as an experiment for the
University of California. — Map (db m50978) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Whittier — 947 — Reform School for Juvenile Offenders — Fred C. Nelles School|
|The March 11, 1889 Act of the California Legislature authorized the establishment of a school for juvenile offenders. Dedication and laying of cornerstone was done by Governor R.W. Waterman on February 12, 1890. Officially opened as "Whittier State School" for boys and girls on July 1, 1891. Girls were transferred in 1916 and only boys have been in residence since that time. Renamed "Fred C. Nelles School for Boys" in 1941 ("For Boys" was dropped around 1970). This school was been in continuous . . . — Map (db m50985) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Wilmington — 169 — Drum Barracks|
|Established at Wilmington in 1862, Drum Barracks became the United States military headquarters for Southern California, Arizona, and New Mexico. A garrison and base for supplies, it was a terminus for camel pack trains operated by the army until 1863. Abandoned in 1866, its site remains a landmark of the Civil War in California. — Map (db m50950) HM|
|California (Los Angeles County), Wilmington — 21 — Officers' Quarters, Drum Barracks, 1862-1868 — "Drum Barracks, Civil War Period"|
| Panel 1:
1862 * Drum Barracks * 1868
Supply Depot, Department of
the Southwest, U.S. Army.
In memory of the historic past of this
building and the importance of its
association with early American
history in California.
Rudecinda Parlor No. 230, N.D.G.W.
placed this tablet October 2, 1927
Civil War Period
[Seal of the City of Los Angeles]
Historic Cultural Monument No. 21
by the . . . — Map (db m52631) HM|