“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Lowndes County Markers
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Caledonia — Unity Cemetery
Unity Presbyterian Church organized in 1828 with the Rev. Thos. Archibald, pastor. Buried here are early settlers, one Revolutionary War soldier, two War of 1812 soldiers, and three Civil War soldiers. — Map (db m8966) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Baldwin Locomotive No. 601
Built in 1946 as the first “Road Switcher” of its type in U.S. Columbus and Greenville Railway’s first diesel powered locomotive. Retired in 1984 after thirty-eight years on freight and passenger trains. — Map (db m8457) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Beersheba Cumberland Presbyterian Church and Cemetery
The Beersheba Cumberland Presbyterian Church became part of the Tombecbee Presbytery in 1825 and joined the New Hope Cumberland Presbytery in 1866. The cemetery was established in 1827 and contains the graves of many veterans. The date Beersheba Cumberland was organized is not known. — Map (db m8477) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Bethel Presbyterian Church
Congregation established in 1834 by William Ervin, Elizabeth and Drennon Love, James Ervin, Rosamond Odeneal and Thomas and Margaret E. Witherspoon. These Scots-Irish pioneers from Alabama and the Carolinas settled here after the Choctaw Cession of 1830. Built 1844-45, this rare Greek Revival church is listed on the National Register. — Map (db m8484) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — C.S.A Arsenal
Here in 1862 Confederacy built huge arsenal employing over 1000 persons. Later one of buildings became original site of Union Academy, first free public school for Negroes in Columbus. — Map (db m8553) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Church of the Annunciation
Dedicated in 1863. This is the oldest Catholic Church in NE Miss. It once served a parish that included Corinth & Meridian. The design for the Gothic structure was conceived by Fr. J. B. Mouton, the first pastor. — Map (db m8486) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Columbus
Originally, 1817-21, known as Possum Town. Became one of richest cities in old Black Prairie cotton belt. Home of state's first free school and M.S.C.W. — Map (db m8487) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Columbus Mississippi Blues
The Black Prairies of eastern Mississippi have produced a number of notable blues musicians, including Howlin’ Wolf, Bukka White, and Big Joe Williams. Activity in Columbus, the largest city in the region, centered around areas such as this block of 4th Street, called “Catfish Alley” after local fishermen brought their catches to town to be cooked and sold on the street. Bukka White sang of the good times to be had in town in his 1969 recording “Columbus, Mississippi . . . — Map (db m27607) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Confederate Decoration Day
Began here, April 25, 1866, with first annual placing of flowers on graves of Blue and Gray. Idea originated at meeting in Twelve Gables home of Miss Matt Morton. — Map (db m8552) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Demonstration School
The first "laboratory" school for teacher training in the state was established in 1907 by the faculty of Industrial Institute and College (1884), now Mississippi University for Women, the first public college for women in America. The present structure opened in 1929. — Map (db m8554) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — First Baptist Church of Columbus
Organized in 1832 by Thomas Blewett, with Rev. A.S. Bayley serving as the first pastor (1832-1834), this church has erected two sanctuaries. The first was built here in 1838, and the second, this Gothic Revival-style structure designed by Reuben Harrison Hunt, was built in 1908. Confederate general Stephen D. Lee served this church as a deacon. In 1881, First Baptist Church of Columbus became the first Mississippi congregation to host the Southern Baptist Convention. — Map (db m69565) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — First Christian Church
Founded, 1839, through efforts of Talbert Fanning and David Lipscomb. Present structure, erected 1849-50, housed refugee State Senate in Civil War. Here Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterways Agreement was signed in 1958. — Map (db m8555) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — First Home of Tennessee Williams
One of America's leading playwrights, Tennessee Williams was born here March 26, 1911. He received the Pulitzer Prize for "Streetcar Named Desire" and "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." Both stories set in the South. — Map (db m8556) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — First Methodist Church
Oldest church organization in Columbus, dating from 1831. Second structure, built in 1844, became synagogue after building of present church, 1860-1867. — Map (db m8557) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Franklin Academy
State's oldest free school. Has functioned since 1821. Worthy trustees, using 16th section income & employing able teachers, early made Columbus a cultural center in northeast Mississippi. — Map (db m8582) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Friendship Cemetery
SW, 12 blocks. Two state governors, over 1,000 C.S.A. soldiers, including 4 generals, lie here. The decorating of their graves & those of Union soldiers, inspired F.M. Finch's "The Blue and the Gray." 1867. — Map (db m8583) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Henry Armstrong
Henry Armstrong, born Henry Jackson in this area in 1912, began his professional boxing career in 1931. Armstrong became the only boxer to hold world titles simultaneously in three weight divisions. He was named boxer of the year in 1937 and 1938 and was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in 1990. He appeared in three movies and wrote two books. Known as “Hurricane Hank,” Armstrong amassed a record of 151-21-9 with 101 knockouts. He retired in 1945 and died October 24, 1988. — Map (db m13902) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — James T. Harrison Home
Built by Thomas Blewett circa 1840 for daughter Regina and James Harrison, leading lawyer and politician. Site of 1865 marriage and home of Stephen D. and Regina Harrison Lee. — Map (db m8584) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Joshua Lawrence Meador
Joshua Lawrence Meador was born in 1911 in Greenwood, Mississippi, and moved here at age seven. Meador worked for Walt Disney Productions from 1936 to 1965 as head of the effects department. His film credits include Snow White, Fantasia, Bambi, Pinocchio, Dumbo, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty. In 1954 Meador’s team won the Oscar for special effects for 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Joshua Meador died in 1965 and is buried at Friendship Cemetery in Columbus. — Map (db m64694) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Military Road
Built by War Department 1817-20, to connect New Orleans with Nashville. Suggested by & named for Gen. Andrew Jackson. Soon became an important commercial & telegraph route. — Map (db m8585) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Mississippi State College for Women
The oldest state supported woman's college (1884) in the United States. It pioneered in adding vocational subjects to standard arts-science program. — Map (db m8586) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Mt. Pleasant Methodist Church and Vaughn’s Cemetery
Established in 1833 when James and Susannah Vaughn donated 5.7 acres of land to the Mt. Pleasant congregation. After Judge John Perkins donated an adjacent 5-acre plot to the congregation in 1851, the church was moved and the original site was designated as a burial ground, named in honor of the Vaughn family. The current church building was constructed ca. 1892 and was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in July of 2007. — Map (db m20116) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Robinson Road
Opened 1820s. Ran from Jackson Military Road to Natchez Trace by way of Louisville, Doak's Stand & Choctaw Agency. For years it was only direct route from Columbus to Jackson. — Map (db m28075) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Rural Hill School
The first rural consolidated school in Mississippi. The school was moved to this site in 1904 and flourished under the guidance of Professor B. G. Hull, who was principal until 1918. Due to the success of the school, Hull was recognized as a national authority on school consolidation. Rural Hill School closed in 1949. — Map (db m8622) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — S.D. Lee Home
Home of Lt. Gen., C.S.A.; legislator; first president Miss A. & M. College; member Constitutional Convention of 1890; one of organizers of Vicksburg Military Park; Commander United Confederate Veterans; military historian. — Map (db m8623) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Parish organized Jan. 1, 1837. First church consecrated 1838. Present church begun 1854, consecrated Nov. 15, 1860, by the Rt. Rev. William Mercer Green, first Episcopal Bishop of Miss. — Map (db m8624) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — The Tennessee Williams Visitors Center
Friends of Libraries U.S.A. Literary Landmarks Register The Tennessee Williams Visitors Center Author, playwright, and poet Thomas Lanier "Tennessee" Williams (1911-1983), was born in Columbus, Mississippi. In tribute to his life and writings, this site, formerly the rectory of St. Paul's Episcopal Church, is designated a Literary Landmark by Friends of Libraries U.S.A. — Map (db m8719) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Walter "Red" Barber
A native of Columbus, Walter Lanier "Red" Barber (1908-1992) as a boy lived on North 4th Avenue. He began a storied career in radio broadcasting in 1934 after receiving a job offer from the Cincinnati Reds. Barber was the voice of the Cincinnati Reds(1934-1938), Brooklyn Dodgers(1939-1953), and New York Yankees(1954-1966). He covered thirteen World Series and Jackie Robinson's first Major League game. Barber was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 1995. — Map (db m8626) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Waverly
W. 5 mi. Built 1852 by Col. Geo. Young, who used own plant for gas lighting. In Civil War housed refugee girls from Memphis & New Orleans. Site of organization of National Fox Hunters Association. — Map (db m8627) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — William Barksdale
Eminent lawyer and editor. U.S. Congressman, 1852-1861. Miss. Quartermaster-General, 1861. Commanding General of famous Mississippi Brigade. Killed at Gettysburg. Here is site of plantation home. — Map (db m8628) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Columbus — Woodlawn Cumberland Presbyterian Church
Organized 1869. Original building Ľ mile West. Rev. Thomas Benton Wood, first pastor. Land Given by Martha Kidd Vaughn, lumber by A.P. Presley. — Map (db m8629) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), Crawford — Big Joe Williams
Side A Big Joe Williams (c. 1903-1982) epitomized the life and times of the rambunctious, roving bluesman, traveling from coast to coast and around the world playing rugged, rhythmic blues on his nine-string guitar at juke joints, house parties, and concerts. Mentor to blues legends Muddy Waters and Honeyboy Edwards, Williams was born near Crawford, where he also spent his final years. His song “Baby Please Don't Go” has been recorded by many blues and rock bands. . . . — Map (db m27750) HM
Mississippi (Lowndes County), New Hope — Brownlee Family Cemetery - 1825
Estab. in 1825 on the corner of a 1400 acre plantation owned by James Brownlee, Sr. & his wife Mary. Three brothers who lost their lives in the service of the Confederate States of America lie buried here. — Map (db m8485) HM
33 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 

More Search Options
Near You

States and

Counties or

To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.