|Virginia, Lynchburg — 91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry|
|Placed in memory of the brave soldiers of the
91st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
"Bloody Buckeye Boys in Blue"
Who gave their lives during the Battle of Lynchburg
June 17-18, 1864 to preserve the Union
1st Lieutenant George B. Stroup • D Company
Sergeant Colvin Stiles • F Company
Corporal John Bell • D Company
Private William Dickey • I Company
Private Louis Graham • C Company
Private Samuel L. McKee • I Company
Private William Randall • F Company
Private Isaac . . . — Map (db m54375) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 19 — Abram Frederick Biggers and Biggers School|
|Abram Frederick Biggers (1838 - 1879), a lawyer by profession, was appointed the first superintendent of the Lynchburg and Campbell County schools in 1870. As a part of his effort to build a strong system, Biggers toured northern states to study their schools. He is credited with building one of the best school systems in the state. The Lynchburg schools opened to more than 700 students segregated by race in nine rented buildings. Biggers School, designed by August Forsburg, was the largest in . . . — Map (db m54467) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 16 — Allen Weir Freeman, M.D. — 7 Jan. 1881 - 3 July 1954|
|Born at 416 Main Street, Allen W. Freeman, brother of editor and historian Douglas Southall Freeman, was a pioneer in public health administration and education. He was educated at the University of Richmond and the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Md. He served as medical inspector of the Richmond City Health Department; first assistant commissioner of health for Virginia; epidemiologist, U.S. Public Health Service; commissioner of health for Ohio; professor and dean, . . . — Map (db m54457) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 28 — C.W. Seay — (1900-1982)|
|Clarence William “Dick” Seay, who lived here, was principal of Dunbar High School, Lynchburg’s secondary school for African Americans. A pioneer in the struggle for equal opportunities for blacks, for 30 years Seay shaped Dunbar High School into a school of academic excellence, holding that a “successful school and its community are inseparable.” He later became the first high school principal elected to the presidency of the Association of Colleges and Secondary . . . — Map (db m74016) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-12 — Carter Glass|
|Born January 4, 1858, in a house which stood on this site. Newspaper publisher; member of the State Senate and delegate to the State Constitutional Convention of 1901–1902; member of the United States House of Representatives, 1902-1918, and principal author of the Federal Reserve Act; Secretary of the Treasury, 1919–1920; member of the United States Senate from 1920 until his death in 1946. — Map (db m46506) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Cemetery Caretakers|
|The ﬁrst official caretaker of the cemetery was hired by the City of Lynchburg in 1866. He was paid $100 a year, and was only responsible for the care of the Confederate section. Over the years the role of the caretaker expanded to include digging graves and maintaining the entire cemetery. The caretaker was variously called superintendent, keeper, sexton, and foreman.
1875-1877…Henry . . . — Map (db m74093) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Chapel and Columbarium|
|This chapel was modeled after the 1880 Ivy Chapel Union Church in Bedford County. Most of the construction materials and furnishings were salvaged from the demolition of the c. 1870 Hermon Methodist Church at Oakville in Appomattox County. The bell was specially cast for the Cemetery Chapel by the preeminent Whitechapel Bell Foundry in London, England.
Today the Chapel pays tribute to the many religious leaders buried in the Cemetery since 1806. It also provides a unique setting for . . . — Map (db m74040) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 23 — Chauncey E. Spencer, Sr.|
|Chauncey E. Spencer, Sr., aviation pioneer and Civil Rights activist was born in Lynchburg on 5 Nov. 1906, the son of poet Anne Spencer. He moved to Chicago and by 1934 began pursuing his pilot's license. As a charter member of the National Airmen's Association of America, he and Dale L. White in 1939 made an aeronautical tour from Chicago to Washington, D.C., to lobby for the inclusion of African Americans in the Army Air Corps. This included meeting Senator Harry S. Truman. Spencer also . . . — Map (db m74010) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — K 146 — Chestnut Hill|
|Nearby stood Chestnut Hill, the home of Charles Lynch, Sr. He was the father of John Lynch, the founder of Lynchburg, and of Charles Lynch, Jr., a Revolutionary officer. Charles Lynch, Sr., died in 1753 and is believed to be buried at Chestnut Hill. The wooden house was later owned by Judge Edmond Winston and then by Henry Langhorne, during whose occupancy it burned. Members of the Lynch family were among the first Quaker settlers in the area. — Map (db m54402) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Civil War in Lynchburg — Prisoner-of-War Camp|
|This was the site of a Confederate training camp and Union prisoner-of-war camp during the Civil War. Before Virginia seceded from the Union in April 1861, the population of Lynchburg doubled
with the influx of soldiers from
other parts of the state, as well
as from throughout the Confederacy. Virginians were housed at Camp Davis in Lynchburg,
while other soldiers bivouacked
here at the fairgrounds just
outside the city.
At first, all prisoners-of-war are to be detained in
Richmond, . . . — Map (db m58361) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Civil War Lynchburg — Supplying Lee’s Army — Battle of Lynchburg|
|Established in 1786, Lynchburg was a thriving commercial center famous for its tobacco and manufacturing industries when Fort Sumter, South Carolina was bombarded in April 1861 and the Civil War began. Lynchburg’s Fair Grounds and Camp Davis immediately began receiving troops for training from all over the South. During the war, the city’s foundries and factories produced munitions, mills ground flour for rations, and railway trains and canal boats transported men and supplies to the front. . . . — Map (db m3935) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — College Hill Reservoir Water Pitcher|
|The cast-iron pitcher was made by Glamorgan foundry of Lynchburg and given to the city in October 1890 for use at the College Hill Reservoir. Shortly after installation, the local newspaper praised the pitcher as “a handsome and striking ornament” to the reservoir park. It was a working fountain there for 73 years, until 1963, when the reservoir was covered by a giant dome, and the fencing and the picher were dismantled and relocated. After forty years apart, the old reservoir water . . . — Map (db m74068) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-18 — Court Street Baptist Church|
|The congregation was organized in 1843,
when Lynchburg’s African American Baptists
were separated from First Baptist Church.
The new African Baptist Church of Lynchburg met in a converted theater. It was demolished in 1879, after the deaths of eight people during a panic caused by fear of structural collapse. Church members provided all the money to buy land at Sixth and Court Street for a new building. Local architect Robert C. Burkholder designed the church, combining the Romanesque . . . — Map (db m46591) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Court Street Baptist Church Tragedy|
On October 16, 1876, a tragic “false alarm” panic at the old Court Street Baptist Church resulted in the deaths of eight people attending a wedding reception there. One of these young women, Maria Wilson, age 17, is buried nearby.
No tombstones can be found for the others:
Maria S. Ransom, Mary Henry, Emma Powell, Adeline Burks, Lucinda Cox, Virginia Robinson, and Mildred Walls. — Map (db m74055) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Crippled Corps and VM.I. Cadets Form Inner Defenses in Old City Cemetery — Battle of Lynchburg, June 18, 1864|
|A week before the city of Lynchburg was to be invaded by 18,000 Union troops, the city lay vulnerable, unprotected by Confederate forces.
Brigadier General Francis T. Nicholls, a double amputee, who had recovered in a Lynchburg hospital, organized a corps of convalescing Confederates from Lynchburg’s numerous hospitals to defend the city during that critical week.
Over 700 “cripple corps” manned the barricades along with 200 Virginia Military Institute cadets who had rushed . . . — Map (db m74052) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 5 — Defense Works|
|On the crest of the hill just to the south was a redoubt forming part of the defenses thrown up by General D. H. Hill, June, 1864. These works were held by General Imboden's cavalry. A military road was constructed to connect this point with Fort McCausland. Signs of this road may still be seen in old Rivermont Park. — Map (db m54445) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q 7 — Diamond Hill Baptist Church|
|Diamond Hill Baptist Church was established in 1872, seven years after slavery was abolished. The current church, a Gothic Revival–style building, was completed in 1886. Under the pastorate and leadership of the Rev. Dr. Virgil A. Wood from 1958 to 1963, the church became central to the Civil Rights movement in the Lynchburg area as the base of operations for demonstrations, sit-ins, and rallies seeking to end segregation. The church also hosted speeches by notable figures in the national . . . — Map (db m74006) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q6 17 — Douglas Southall Freeman|
|Born at 416 Main Street on 16 May 1886, the son of a Confederate veteran, Douglas Southall Freeman moved with his family to Richmond three years later. He graduated from the University of Richmond in 1904 and earned a doctorate from Johns Hopkins University in 1908. Freeman subsequently held several posts as an educator and editor, but he is best known as the editor of the Richmond News Leader (1915-1949) and as the author of Pulitzer Prize-winning biographies of Robert E. Lee and George . . . — Map (db m54455) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 27 — Dr. Robert Walter Johnson — (1899-1971)|
|The desegregation of tennis was due in large part to the efforts of Dr. R. Walter “Whirlwind” Johnson. The first African American to earn staff privileges at Lynchburg General Hospital, he also worked to overcome barriers keeping young African Americans out of tennis. As founder of the Junior Development Program of the American Tennis Association, Johnson sponsored African-American players from across the country in tournaments and coached and mentored them on a court here at his . . . — Map (db m74015) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Dr. Robert Walter Johnson House and Tennis Court|
|Dr. Robert Walter Johnson
House and Tennis Court
is registered as a
Virginia Historic Landmark
Virginia Historic Resources Board
and placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
U.S. Department of the Interior
Dr. Robert Walter Johnson (1899-1971) moved to Lynchburg in 1933 and established his medical practice. He was active in local politics and the Civil Rights movement, achieving groundbreaking progress within the community. Dr. Johnson . . . — Map (db m74033) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Federal Hill|
|Lynchburg's first residential suburb became part of the city by annexation in 1814 and 1819. Houses within the neighborhood's nine block area represent over a hundred years of architectural styles that include Federal, Greek Revival, Italianate, Second Empire, Queen Anne, Colonial Revival and Georgian Revival. It was on this hill in 1855 that gas as a heating and light source was first introduced into a private home in Lynchburg.
Local historic district designated by City of Lynchburg — Map (db m54416) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q–6-1 — Fort Early|
|Named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early, this roughly square earthen redoubt served as a part of the outer line of defense for Lynchburg in June 1864. Fort Early and the outer fortifications were constructed to provide additional protection for the vital railroad facilities in Lynchburg threatened by Union Maj. Gen. David Hunter’s troops after Early arrived on 17 June. On 18 June, Hunter advanced his troops towards Confederate positions, while Union artillery bombarded Fort Early and . . . — Map (db m3602) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Fort Early — The Confederate Center — Battle of Lynchburg|
|Following the Confederate defeat at Gettysburg in July 1863, Lynchburg’s citizens became concerned about the lack of defenses around the city. Gen. Francis Nicholls, post commander, prepared a series of earthen redoubts and trenches at strategic points to take advantage of Lynchburg’s topography. He designed the earthen redoubt here to protect an artillery battery covering the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike (Fort Ave.). When Union Gen. David Hunter attacked Lynchburg in June 1864, he advanced his . . . — Map (db m41499) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-2 — Fort McCausland|
|The fort on the hill here was constructed by General J.A. Early to protect the approach to Lynchburg from the west. Union cavalry skirmished with the Confederates along the road immediately west of the fort. The Unionists, driven back by General McCausland, were unable to enter the city from this direction. — Map (db m3600) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Fort McCausland — The Confederate Right Flank — Battle of Lynchburg|
|To your right, Confederates built an earthen redoubt in 1864 to defend the strategic Virginia & Tennessee Railroad trestle over Ivy Creek. The six-gun battery of the Botetourt Artillery manned the redoubt and a position on the other side of Forest Road (Langhorne Road) crossing in front. To capture Lynchburg, Union Gen. David Hunter had divided his army and sent Gen. Alfred N.A. Duffie’s cavalry to seize the city by turning the Confederate right flank. Gen. John McCausland cavalry moved to . . . — Map (db m3924) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Grave of John Lynch|
|Founder of Lynchburg,
who was the proprietor of lands
upon which the city is built
and for whom the city is named.
A zealous Quaker, benevolent
gentleman and promoter of
whatever advanced the general
good of his community.
Died October 31, 1820. — Map (db m54418) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Gravemarkers in the Old City Cemetery — Lynchburg, Virginia|
|A Project Sponsored by the Virginia Foundation for the Humanities and Public Policy and the Southern Memorial Association
Special thanks to the following people, who contributed to the research and design of this exhibit:
James Deetz • Gertrude Fraser • Bill Henika & Steven Turpin • Nancy Marion & The Design Group • Nancy Loving Rice • Darlene Richardson • Constance Walters Swartz • Jane B. White
What is a gravemarker?
A gravemarker is literally anything that marks a . . . — Map (db m74094) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Gravestone Carvers in the Old City Cemetery|
|The dates beneath each carver’s name represent the span of his gravestones in the cemetery.
The Fieldstone Carver
First Gravestone Carver in Lynchburg
The fieldstone carver is the oldest professional carver of grave stones in the Old City Cemetery.
Although he never signed his stones, and although we know nothing about him personally, his handiwork is easily identified by its unique style and fieldstone material.
His earliest known stonework, dating . . . — Map (db m74095) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Hearse House & Caretakers' Museum|
|This museum tells the story of the care of the cemetery's grounds and gravemarkers over the past 200 years. On display is an elegant horse-drawn hearse used by Lynchburg's W.D. Diuguid Funeral Directors in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s. A simple horse-drawn wagon was also used in this graveyard to transport coffins and work tools. Even after the City of Lynchburg employed a full-time superintendent of the cemetery in 1866, maintenance was often sporadic and equipment was very primitive. An . . . — Map (db m74037) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Hermon Methodist Church — Appomattox County, Virginia — c.1870-1969|
|Hermon Methodist Church was established in c.1870 in Appomattox County, Virginia. The church was named for the biblical Mount Hermon. It was located east of Route 24 on what is now property of the Appomattox Court House National Historical Park. A graveyard visible from the highway indicates the old church site.
In 1900 Hermon Methodist Church was dismantled and rebuilt near the foot of Piney Mountain, east of Oakville in Appomattox County. Mr. W.H.S. Barlow and his wife Florence Hamilton . . . — Map (db m74064) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — History of the Stapleton Station|
1898 Station built by Chesapeake & Ohio Railway for $366.59, based on C&O “Standard Station No. 2” design.
1929 C&O Railway made the Station a non-agency station (without an agent) and discontinued its telegraph office.
Passengers and freight were still allowed, and the building was to be “kept in good and sanitary condition.”
1936 State Corporation Commission granted C&O Railway petition to abandon and dismantle the Station.
1937 Station bought by . . . — Map (db m74076) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Hull of the Packet Boat Marshall|
|Famous canal boat
James River and Kanawha Company,
which conveyed the body of
from Lynchburg to Lexington,
May 13, 1863 — Map (db m54372) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 9 — Inner Defences|
|Near here ran the line of inner defences located by Gen. D. H. Hill, June, 1864. He had been sent from Petersburg by Gen. Beauregard to assist Gen. Breckinridge then in command. On Gen. Early’s arrival, troops were moved to the outer work. — Map (db m15539) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 3 — Inner Defenses — 1864|
|Here ran the Inner line of Lynchburg defenses thrown up by General D. H. Hill in June, 1864. General John C. Breckinridge. Confronting General Hunter in the Shenandoah Valley, made a forced march to forestall Hunter. Hill constructed a shallow line of trenches, occupied by Breckinridge, and hospital convalescents and Home Guards. It became a reserve line when General Early arrived. — Map (db m15541) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 8 — Inner Defenses|
|Here, facing west, ran the inner defenses of the city, located by General D. H. Hill. They were constructed by convalescents and home guards. General Early, after an inspection of the system, moved most of the men to the outer works well to the westward. — Map (db m54452) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 7 — Inner Defenses 1864|
|A line of shallow entrenchments extended from near this point along the crest of the hill to the east. These works were occupied by the cadets of the Virginia Military Institute, who had marched here with General Breckinridge after the Institute at Lexington was burned by General Hunter. — Map (db m54450) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Iron Fencing|
|This cast-iron fence, now surrounding the Earley Memorial Shrub Garden, originally enclosed College Hill Reservoir, located only a few blocks away on Park Ave. It was installed there in 1878 when the city had outgrown the old Clay Street Reservoir.
The College Hill Reservoir was covered by a large steel tank in 1964, and the decorative fencing was dismantled and reused as a garden in closure at a private home. In 2000 the fencing was rescued from overgrowth and sold to the Southern . . . — Map (db m74066) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Ivy Chapel Union Church — Bedford County, Virginia — 1880-c.1950|
|Ivy Chapel Union Church was built in I880 on Coffee Road in Bedford County, Virginia. The chapel was named for nearby Ivy Creek. It was known as a “union church” because it served as a house of worship for Baptist, Methodist, and Episcopalian congregations simultaneously.
Throughout its history Ivy Chapel was most closely associated with the Episcopal faith. Area Baptists established their own church—North Bedford Baptist—in 1893. The Methodists left Ivy Chapel in . . . — Map (db m74065) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q 13 — Jacob E. Yoder|
|Jacob Eschbach Yoder (22 Feb. 1838-15 Apr. 1905), reared a Mennonite in Pennsylvania, came to Lynchburg after the Civil War to teach former slaves in the Freedmen's Bureau's Camp Davis School. Following Reconstruction, Yoder served as supervising principal of Lynchburg's African American schools for more than 25 years and helped start the College Hill Baptist Church Sunday school. When he died, black teachers declared that "he had devoted his life unselfishly, and unstintingly to our race, and . . . — Map (db m74007) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — K-142 — John Daniel’s Home|
|This Federal-style mansion was built by John Marshall Warwick in 1826. It was the birthplace of John Warwick Daniel, grandson of the builder, whose father was Judge William Daniel, resident of nearby Point of Honor. John W. Daniel was known as the “Lame Lion of Lynchburg” due to extensive wounds suffered during the Civil War. He later served in the Virginia Assembly as both delegate and senator and for sixteen years in the United States Congress as congressman and senator. — Map (db m46564) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — John Warwick Daniel|
| (west face)
John Warwick Daniel • Born in Lynchburg, September 5, 1842 • Died in Lynchburg, June 29, 1910 • Foremost and best loved Virginian of his time.
Major in the Army of Northern Virginia, and for twenty-four years a Senator of the United States from Virginia.
Soldier • Jurist • Statesman
Erected by the municipality and citizens of Lynchburg, and other admirers • 1913 — Map (db m57288) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Jubal Early Memorial|
|Memorial to Jubal Anderson Early, Lieutenant General C.S.A., and to the brave Confederate soldiers under him who came to the rescue of Lynchburg when it was threatened by an invasion of Federal forces and erected these earthworks behind which they intrenched themselves in their defense of the city. — Map (db m3601) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Kemper Street Station — History|
|The new Kemper Street Station, which opened on October 31, 1912, was one of many improvements made in Lynchburg by Southern Railway to double track its mainline between Atlanta and Washington, D.C. The Rivermont Tunnel, the James River Bridge, and the high steel trestles like those over Fishing Creek and Blackwater Creek were built to bypass the congestion in Lynchburg’s Lower Basin where Southern Railway and its predecessors had been located since before the Civil War. Architect Frank P. . . . — Map (db m57298) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Latham's Battery|
|This tablet marks the location of the gun house of
Organized May 28th, 1860. Left Lynchburg on the 23rd of April, 1861 and was mustered into the service of the C.S.A. on the 25th of April, 1861 with 95 men on roll; was known as Co. D, 38th Battalion, Virginia Artillery, Picketts Division.
Captain H. Gray Latham Promoted to rank of Major and transferred.
James Dearing Promoted to rank of Brig.-Gen. and transferred.
Jospeh G. Blount Promoted to . . . — Map (db m54376) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Life and Death|
Hundreds of people buried in this cemetery were employed by the railroad industry. The railroad’s contributions to Lynchburg’s economy were extraordinary, and it was a major employer in the city between 1850 and 1920. Railroads employed people in remarkably diverse capacities, in jobs ranging from engineers to machinist, foreman to laborer, porter to cook, and flagman to station agent.
Below is a list of every known person buried in the Old City Cemetery whose work . . . — Map (db m74082) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lucy Mina Otey and the Ladie’s Relief Hospital|
|The unsung and frequently unappreciated heroes of the Confederacy were the Southern women who worked in hospitals. Mrs. Lucy Mina Otey, age 60 and a recent widow who eventually lost three sons in the Civil War, formed a corps of 500 Lynchburg women, the Ladie’s Relief Society, to make bandages and uniforms. As the carnage of war continued, women’s roles quickly expanded to become nurses and hospital matrons.
Greeted and rebuffed at a post hospital one day with the orders: “No more . . . — Map (db m74050) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q 6-21 — Luke Jordan, Blues Pioneer|
|Singer-guitarist Luke Jordan (1892-1952) was a familiar presence on the streets of Lynchburg from the 1920s until World War II. Jordan and other African American musicians in the Southeast merged blues with an existing repertoire of ballads, ragtime, and tent-show songs, creating a syncopated and upbeat style now called Piedmont or East Coast Blues. The Victor Record Company, seeking blues artists to satisfy popular demand, recorded Jordan in 1927 and 1929, issuing classics such as "Church Bell . . . — Map (db m54458) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg — Early and Hunter|
|In early May 1864, while Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee confronted the Union Army of the Potomac west of Fredericksburg, Union Gen. U.S. Grant sent Gen. Franz Sigel’s army to destroy Lee’s supplies in the Shenandoah Valley. After the Union defeat at New Market on May 15, Grant relieved Sigel and ordered his replacement, Gen. David Hunter, to seize Lynchburg, a strategic railway and supply center for the Confederate army. Hunter routed Confederate forces at Piedmont June 5th, captured both . . . — Map (db m3942) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-11 — Lynchburg|
|In 1757 John Lynch opened a ferry here; in 1765 a church was built. In 1786 Lynchburg was established by act of Assembly; in 1791 the first tobacco warehouse was built. Lynchburg was incorporated as a town in 1805. In 1840 the James River and Kanawha Canal, from Richmond to Lynchburg, was opened; the section to Buchanan in 1851. Lynchburg became a city in 1852.
Trains began running on the first railroad, the Virginia and Tennessee, in 1852. Lynchburg was a main military supply center, . . . — Map (db m46461) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg — Old Court House|
|The Old Court House was completed in 1855 and was occupied by the Circuit and Hustings Courts and the Lynchburg city government. During the Civil War, Lynchburg became a center for war munitions, army supplies, troop training and medical facilities because of its location on the railway network and the James River and Kanawha Canal.
Attacked by Federal forces in June 1864, Lynchburg was successfully defended by Gen. Jubal A. Early. After Mayor William D. Branch surrendered the city April . . . — Map (db m54378) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg Civil War Hospitals — Knight and Miller Tobacco Factories — Battle of Lynchburg|
|These tobacco factories, built in 1845, were typical of the nineteen in Lynchburg converted into hospitals during the Civil War. Surgeon J.K. Page supervised Knight’s and Miller’s as divisions of General Hospital No. 2. The Thirty-two hospitals established in Lynchburg treated 3,000 to 4,000 patients at any given time, a remarkable achievement since Lynchburg’s 1860 population was 6,853. Citizens opened their own homes after major battle such as Gettysburg and the Wilderness when the deluge of . . . — Map (db m41500) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-13 — Lynchburg College|
|Lynchburg College was founded in 1903 as Virginia
Christian College by Dr. Josephus Hopwood and
a group of Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)
clergymen and lay leaders. It is one of the
earliest colleges in Virginia to be founded as a
coeducational institution. Its name was changed
to Lynchburg College in 1919. The former Westover Hotel served as the college’s original building.
Renamed Westover Hall, it was dismantled in
1970. Hopwood Hall, designed in the Classical
Revival style . . . — Map (db m65389) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg Confederate Soldiers Monument|
Our Confederate Soldiers
Erected by the
Daughters of the Confederacy
to commemorate the heroism
of our Confederate Soldiers
Kirk Wood Otey Chapter U.D.C.
Old Dominion Chapter U.D.C. — Map (db m54488) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — M 60 — Lynchburg Defenses|
|The earthwork on the hilltop, two hundred yards to the east, was thrown up as a part of the system of defenses for Lynchburg, 1861-65. The city was an important supply base and railroad center. — Map (db m54444) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg History — Ninth and Main Streets|
|The James River originates in the mountains to the west and flows through Lynchburg and Richmond before reaching the Chesapeake Bay. In 1757, the Lynch family built a ferry across the James River ahead of you at the foot of this hill; today, the Langley Fountain marks the ferry location. The settlement that became Lynchburg grew around the ferry landing. From there, tobacco and other crops were shipped downriver on the James River and Kanawha Canal using canoes, batteaux, and canal boats. . . . — Map (db m54490) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg History — Church and Ninth Streets|
|Monument Terrace, completed in 1925, links Church Street with Court Street via 132 steps and 10 landings. The bronze statue, The Listening Post, created by Charles Keck, commemorates Lynchburg’s World War I dead. Several other memorials have been installed since then on the steps and landings. The Confederate statue at the top of Monument Terrace has a time capsule in its base that holds Confederate currency, replica flags, photographs of local veterans, and hair from Traveller (Gen. . . . — Map (db m54492) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg History — Commerce Street and Horseford Road|
|Horseford Road is named for the nearby ford that Virginia Indians and early settlers used to cross the James River. During the 19th century, this area was home to tobacco factories, flour mills, and iron foundries. The large red brick building to your left rear on Main Street was built in 1880 as the Bowman-Moore Tobacco Factory. Although smoking tobacco was manufactured and marketed here, much of Lynchburg’s tobacco was processed into chewing tobacco. In these factories, stems were removed . . . — Map (db m54493) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg History — Court Street and Monument Terrace|
|This area became known as Court House Hill when the first courthouse was built here in 1813. The district contains a variety of architectural styles and notable churches, as well as the city’s 1855 Old Court House, now the Lynchburg Museum. There are four active courts nearby: Federal, Circuit, General District, and Juvenile and Domestic Relations.
The Confederate statue to your left was dedicated in 1900 and has a time capsule embedded in its base. Inside the capsule are Civil War-related . . . — Map (db m54494) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg History — Main and Fifth Streets|
|Fifth Street was known as Ferry Road early in the 1800s. Pulitzer Prize-winning author Douglas Southall Freeman was born nearby in 1886. By the mid-20th century, thirty African American-owned businesses lined Fifth Street, the center of black life in Lynchburg before integration. They included a theater, funeral homes, nightclubs, and restaurants.
Old City Cemetery, at Fifth and Taylor Streets, was established in 1806 and is one of the oldest public cemeteries still in use in the United . . . — Map (db m54495) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg History — Percival’s Island Natural Area|
|In front of you is the Percival’s Island Natural Area, a mile-and-a-half-long refuge that is bisected by the RiverWalk Section of the James River Heritage Trail. The 56-acre island reflects centuries of natural and human expansion, development, and retreat.
At the western end of the island is a shallow rise in the river bottom that provided a crossing for Virginia Indians. Early European explorers followed these trails and named the crossing Horse Ford. In 1745, the island then known as . . . — Map (db m74030) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg History — Main and Seventh Streets|
|As Lynchburg grew, Main Street became the commercial center, with bookstores, dry goods stores, furniture shops, clothing stores, cigar stores, barbershops, banks, and hotels. During the Civil War, Lucy Otey founded the Ladies Relief Hospital, which stood just to your left. It was a Confederate facility that the women of Lynchburg operated completely by themselves. Otey’s daughter-in-law, Mary Otey, who lost her first husband to the war in 1862, said that the worst-wounded men were always sent . . . — Map (db m74031) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg, Virginia — A Civil War Hospital Center|
|Lynchburg was known as “Tobacco Town” before the Civil War, with its 70 thriving tobacco businesses and numerous warehouses. It was also a railroad hub, the terminus of three railroads. Early in the Civil War, many of the warehouses were converted to hospitals and the railroad became the conduit for Confederate casualties pouring into the city. There a peak time after the Battle of the Wilderness (May 1864) when Lynchburg, with 6,000 inhabitants, was overwhelmed with over 10,000 . . . — Map (db m74049) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg, Virginia, 1864 — Terminus of Three Major Railroads|
This map shows Lynchburg during the Civil War Battle of Lynchburg, June 1864. The “Public Burying Ground,” also known as the Old Methodist Cemetery or Old City Cemetery, was located at the edge of town.
By 1860 three major railroad lines terminated in Lynchburg:
• Virginia & Tennessee Railroad (1852)
• Southside Railroad (1854)
• Orange & Alexandria Railroad (1860)
These three railways helped to make Lynchburg a regional hub of industry and tobacco commerce, and . . . — Map (db m74077) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg’s Confederate Surgeons|
|Lynchburg’s hospital center was staffed with over 50 military surgeons reporting for duty from all parts of the Confederacy.
The War Department appointed Lynchburg physician, William Otway Owen, as Surgeon-in-Charge of Lynchburg’s large medical complex.
Another Lynchburg physician, Dr. Edward A. Craighill, entered the Army at seventeen becoming the Medical Department’s youngest physician to serve. Craighill, who worked in the College Hospital, wrote of his incredible experiences after . . . — Map (db m74051) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Lynchburg’s First Public Hanging, 1830|
|Near this spot on the afternoon of August 16, 1830, John M. Jones was hanged in Lynchburg’s first public execution. In May of 1829, Jones, A Lynchburg slaveowner, had killed George Hamilton on the James River waterfront in a dispute over Jones’s lover. In at trial presided over by Judge William Daniel, Sr., Jones was found guilty of first-degree murder, and sentenced to execution by hanging.
On the day of the execution, Jones was taken to the gallows on the hillside, which at that time was . . . — Map (db m74043) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 10 — Miller-Claytor House|
|This building formerly stood at Eighth and Church streets. It now stands one block north. It was built by John Miller about 1791. Thomas Wiatt bought the house, long known as the “Mansion House.” Samuel Claytor purchased it in 1825. For many years doctors' offices were here. For ninety years the house was owned by the Page family. The Lynchburg Historical Society moved and restored it. — Map (db m54459) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — L 21 — Montview|
|Montview was constructed in 1923 as the home of Senator and former Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, Carter Glass. Glass served in the House of Representatives and Senate from 1902 to 1946 and was known as the “Father of the Federal Reserve System” in recognition of which his likeness appears on the $50,000 Treasury note. Glass was a co-sponsor of the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933. In 1941, he was sworn in as President Pro-Tem of the U.S. Senate on the sun porch of Montview. — Map (db m55733) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Mr. Elder’s Rose Garden|
|Lawrence Lloyd Elder (1896-1964) was a valued employee
of the City of Lynchburg for over 34 years. His special
domain was gardening and his responsibility the greenhouses
in Miller Park where the city’s flowers were raised for use in
the parks. Later he was assigned the care of nearby municipal
properties, including Monument Terrace, the Court House,
the Post Office and the roses in the Confederate Cemetery.
In the adjoining remote area he also tended his personal
garden of roses, . . . — Map (db m46507) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 6 — Mustered and Disbanded 1861-1865|
|At this point the Second Virginia Cavalry was mustered into service, May 10, 1861. At the same place the remnant of this regiment was disbanded, April 10, 1865, completing a service of four years lacking one month. The regiment participated in many campaigns and engagements. — Map (db m54447) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Old City Cemetery — Lynchburg, Virginia — Civil War Sites|
|“With a graveyard on one side, quartermaster’s glanders stable on the other, and smallpox hospital in the middle, one (is) reminded of the mortality of man.” “A Confederate Surgeon’s Story,” Confederate Veteran, 1931, John Jay Terrell, M.D. This Old City Cemetery served three distinct and important roles in the Civil War: it was a burial ground for over 2200 soldiers, both Union Confederate; it was the location of the Pest House smallpox quarantine hospital; and it was . . . — Map (db m41502) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 25 — Old City Cemetery|
|Old City Cemetery, also known as the Methodist Cemetery, was established as a public burial ground in 1806 on land donated by John Lynch, founder of Lynchburg. Mayors and other prominent civic leaders, along with the city's indigent and “strangers,” are among the estimated 20,000 people buried here. Three quarters of those interred here are of African descent, both enslaved and free. The cemetery's Confederate section contains the graves of more than 2,200 soldiers from 14 states. . . . — Map (db m74011) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Old City Cemetery — (Old Methodist Cemetery) — Lynchburg’s Oldest African-American Burial Ground|
|This old burying ground, established in 1806, is where most of Lynchburg's African Americans were laid to rest in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. As many as 75% of the estimated 20,000 people buried here are African-American.
This has always been a public cemetery, open to all citizens and “strangers” regardless of race or class. In fact, until White Rock Cemetery opened in the late 1880s, this was the only burial ground in the City open to black residents. Even . . . — Map (db m74025) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Old City Cemetery — Also known as the Old Methodist Cemetery — The City of Lynchburg, Virginia|
|This 1929 map of the boundaries of the Old City Cemetery is the only known record available to locate graves “within the walls” in the older section of the cemetery. Even today no records exist for grave locations throughout the cemetery other than the general designation “Potter's Field”, or within the Confederate Section, where precise records were kept by George A. Diuguid during the Civil War.
Established in 1806, the first acre of ground was given by the City’s . . . — Map (db m74027) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Packet Boat Marshall — Bringing Stonewall Jackson Home|
|After Gen. Thomas J. “Stonewall” Jackson died on May 10, 1863 as a result of wounds suffered a week earlier at the Battle of Chancellorsville, his body was transported first to Richmond for public mourning and then to Lexington for burial. Much of the journey was by train, but the last leg was by water, aboard the James River and Kanawha Canal packet boat Marshall.
On Wednesday, May 13, the train bearing Jackson’s remains pulled into Lynchburg’s Orange and Alexandria . . . — Map (db m54371) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 22 — Pearl S. Buck|
|Internationally known author and humanitarian Pearl Sydenstricker Buck (1892-1973) graduated in 1914 from Randolph-Macon Women’s College, where she wrote for the college’s literary magazine. She was the author of more than 70 books, many of which were best sellers. In 1932, Buck received the Pulitzer Prize for the widely read novel The Good Earth. In 1938 she became the first United States woman to receive the Nobel Prize for literature. At the time of Buck’s death, she was one of the . . . — Map (db m54463) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Pest House Medical Museum|
|This 1840’s white frame building was the medical office of Dr. John Jay Terrell. It was moved here in 1987 from Rock Castle Farm in Campbell County and has been restored to recreate medical science in the era of 1860 to 1900. These exhibits represent both the primitive conditions of Lynchburg’s Pest House during the Civil War and a typical country doctor’s office as would have been used by Dr. Terrell following his Confederate medical service.
You are invited to see and hear these stories . . . — Map (db m74038) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Point of Beginning|
|In October, 1786, the General Assembly approved that 45 acres of land belonging to John Lynch be laid off in half-acre lots to establish a town by the name of Lynchburg. The original trustees Charles Brooks, Jesse Burton, John Callaway, John Clarke, Adam Clement, Achilles Douglas, Charles Lynch, William Martin, Micajah Moorman, Joseph Stratton, designated a spot near here as the beginning point for all surveys. — Map (db m46483) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Point of Honor — Spies in Lynchburg|
|Col. Robert Owen, president of the Virginia and Tennessee Railroad, owned Point of Honor during the war. This railroad, one of three that served Lynchburg, transported thousands of Confederate troops as well as wounded, supplies, prisoners of war, and refugees. It connected Lynchburg to Bristol, Tennessee, where it joined other southern railroads, and formed a strategically vital western supply lifeline for Gen. Robert E. Lee’s Army of Northern Virginia. The tracks here ran along Blackwater . . . — Map (db m54373) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — L 23 — Point of Honor|
|Point of Honor stands half a mile to the northeast. Built for Dr. George Cabell Sr. in 1815, this refined Federal-style house is stylistically linked to dwellings in Richmond such as the Hancock-Wirt-Caskie House. According to local tradition, duels were fought on the property. Cabell onwed the 750-acre plantation on which the house stands, as well as a nearby tobacco warehouse. Point of Honor retains most of its original architectural features and after its restoration the house was opened to the public as a museum in 1977. — Map (db m54419) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 26 — Professor Frank Trigg — (1850-1933)|
|Frank Trigg was a leading black educator in Virginia. He was born into slavery in Richmond while his parents were personal servants of Virginia Governor John B. Floyd. After the Civil War he attended Hampton Institute, and began teaching in Abingdon before moving to Lynchburg in 1880. He was a teacher and principal here for 22 years and became the first black supervisor of Lynchburg's black public schools. He was co-founder of the Virginia Teachers' Association, and later was president of . . . — Map (db m74014) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Professor Frank Trigg — (1850-1933)|
|“Frank Trigg came into this world a slave and was buried a retired college president.” He was born in 1850 at the Governor's Mansion in Richmond, as his parents, Sarah and Frank Sr., served Governor John B. Floyd. At age 13 he lost an arm in a farming accident and his owner said “since he was no more good with his hands, he'd see how good he could be with his head.” His education to come to Hampton Institute where he graduated in 1873, one class year ahead of his friend, . . . — Map (db m74060) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Quaker Meeting House — The Battle Begins — Battle of Lynchburg|
|From here in June 1864, Confederate cavalrymen watched Gen. David Hunter’s Union army advance toward them on the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike (Fort Ave). Hunter departed Lexington on June 14 and crossed the Blue Ridge Mountains near Peaks of Otter. Liberty (Bedford) fell the next day, but Confederate Gen. John McCausland’s cavalry was so successful in delaying Hunter’s army that it did not reach the ridge seen in the distance until the afternoon of June 17. Gen. John D. Imboden’s cavalry joined . . . — Map (db m3928) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — L 20 — Quaker Meeting House|
|In the mid-18th century, members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) settled in the Lynchburg area, initially worshiping in one another's houses. According to local tradition, the first meetinghouse was constructed here of logs in 1757 and enlarged in 1763. In 1768 it burned and the next year a frame church was built. It stood until 1792, when construction began on a stone meetinghouse completed in 1798. It deteriorated after 1835 as many Quakers, who opposed slavery, emigrated from . . . — Map (db m54403) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 14 — Randolph-Macon Woman's College|
|Founded by Dr. William Waugh Smith in 1891 and opened in 1893 as a member of the Randolph-Macon System of Educational Institutions, this liberal arts college has been recognized from its opening year for its high standards of scholarship. The scenic campus of 100 acres extends to the James River. — Map (db m54462) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6 24 — Safe Haven in Lynchburg: Project Y|
|In 1951, the National Gallery of Art established a secret emergency repository (Code named Project Y) for its distinguished collection of art on the campus of Randolph-Macon Woman's College. The specially designed reinforced concrete building, situated at the end of Quinlan Street, was built for use in the event of national crisis during the Cold War. In exchange for ownership and use of the facility, the college made it available to the National Gallery for 50 years for emergency purposes. The . . . — Map (db m54464) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q-6-18 — Samuel D. Rockenbach — 1869–1952 — Brigadier General, U.S. Army Cavalry|
|Nearby at 805 Madison Street is the birthplace of General Rockenbach, “Father of the U.S. Army Tank Corps.” He began his education in Lynchburg schools and was honor graduate of Virginia Military Institute in 1889. As first chief of the Army’s tank corps in 1917, he pioneered training schools and field organization for tank warfare in World War 1. — Map (db m46562) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Sandusky — Hunter's Headquarters — Battle of Lynchburg|
|Union Gen. David Hunter’s army reached the outskirts of Lynchburg on June 17, 1864, despite being delayed by engagements with Gen. John McCausland’s Confederate cavalry. That evening, Hunter made his headquarters here at Sandusky, aware that Confederate reinforcements were arriving. He remained confident, however, that he could carry out Gen. Ulysses S. Grant’s orders to capture Lynchburg. That night, in Sandusky’s parlor, Hunter and his commanders planned the assault on Confederate Gen. Jubal . . . — Map (db m3923) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — L 22 — Sandusky|
|To the northwest is Sandusky, built by Charles Johnston about 1808. He named it after a place in Ohio where Indians had held him prisoner in 1790. The two-story structure was one of the Lynchburg area's first houses to display the details and refinement of high-style Federal architecture. In 1864, during the Battle of Lynchburg, Sandusky served as headquarters for Union Maj. Gen. David Hunter. Future presidents Rutherford B. Hayes and William McKinley served on Hunter's staff. Hunter had been a . . . — Map (db m54420) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Second Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A.|
Here, on the 10th of May, 1861, the Second Virginia Cavalry, C.S.A., was organized.
Here, on the 10th of April, 1865, the same command, after years of valiant service with the Army of Northern Virginia, and after cutting its way through the enemy's lines at Appomattox; was regularly disbanded.
Desirous of commemorating these memorable events, I have directed this tablet to be placed here.
Claude A. Swanson
Governor of Virgina — Map (db m54449) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Silas Green|
|Silas Green was born into slavery around the year 1845 on a plantation in Franklin County, Virginia. According to local legend, soon after the beginning of the Civil War, Green voluntarily enrolled in the Confederate army. His owner considered him too valuable to sacriﬁce to war and refused to let him enter the service. Green was determined to join the army, and in spite of his owner's wishes, he organized and trained his own company of soldiers. He was ultimately forced, however, to . . . — Map (db m74059) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Sinister Activities|
|Sinister Activities had been rumored in 1897, but great alarm spread among both Negro and White citizens when it was discovered that the body of a young woman, Ella Jamieson, supposed to be buried in Potter's Field, was instead being shipped to the University of Virginia for medical research. Arrests were made and charges resolved, but citizens still gathered at night to watch over their dead and many others demanded that graves be opened to prove bodies had not been removed.
After a period of months, calm eventually returned. — Map (db m74061) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Site of Dr. Johnson's Tennis Court|
|During the 1940's through early 1960's Dr. R. Walter Johnson trained aspiring, black, tennis hopefuls on this site. Among these were Althea Gibson & Arthur Ashe. — Map (db m74035) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Site of Glanders Stable|
|Site of the
1863 – 1864
early medical research
was conducted here on
Confederate cavalry horses
affected by the
“Great Glanders Epizootic” — Map (db m74041) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Site of Lynchburg's Pest House|
|Site of Lynchburg’s
Constructed circa 1840
Confederate Quarantine Hospital
1861 - 1865
Demolished 1880 — Map (db m74042) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Soldiers, Sailors, and Marines of the Spanish American War|
|1898 - 1902
R.E Craighill Camp No. 11
Dept. of Virginia
United Spanish- war Veterans — Map (db m20233) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Spring Hill Cemetery — Confederate Generals Rest — Battle of Lynchburg|
|During the Battle of Lynchburg on June 17-18, 1864, Confederate Gen. Jubal A. Early moved his reserves into the cemetery to reinforce his lines across the Lynchburg-Salem Turnpike (Fort Ave.) at Fort Early. Before dawn on Sunday, June 19, these troops marched forward into the lines to the right of Fort Early, but by then the Union army had retreated. Organized in 1852, Spring Hill Cemetery was designed by John Notman of Philadelphia, noted for Laurel Hill Cemetery in that city and Richmond’s . . . — Map (db m3936) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Station House Museum|
|This Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Station was in use at Stapleton in Amherst County, Virginia, from 1898 until 1937. It is the only remaining C&O “Standard Station” of its size and style.
In 1999-2001 the badly-deteriorated Station was dismantled board-by-board and reconstructed here to interpret the importance of railroads in the history of Lynchburg. Through employment, war, and accident, thousands of people buried in this cemetery lived and died by the railroad.
The . . . — Map (db m74036) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q6 20 — The Anne Spencer House — 1313 Pierce Street|
|This was the home of Edward Alexander and Anne Bannister Spencer from 1903 until her death on July 25, 1975. Born on February 6, 1882, in Henry County, Va. Anne Spencer was to receive national and international recognition as a poet. Published extensively between 1920 and 1935, she belonged to the Harlem Renaissance school of writers. — Map (db m74009) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — The Carl Porter Cato Rose Collection|
|These roses have reached their final resting place! Originally, they were in the rose collection of nationally recognized rosarian Carl Porter Cato (1913-1996) of Lynchburg.
Through many years, he had salvaged cuttings or entire plants from some endangered situation and nurtured them back to health and maturity. When his own health began failing, however, he entrusted the roses to the care of two local rosarians. These same roses are grouped here as a reminder of the gentle man who . . . — Map (db m74092) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — The Confederate Section — Old City Cemetery|
|In this area are buried over 2200 Confederate soldiers from fourteen states, most of whom died in Lynchburg’s numerous military hospitals during the Civil War. From the first burial on May 19, 1861, until the last on September 19, 1868, undertaker George A. Diuguid handled over 2700 individuals, always keeping precise records, regardless of whether the body was sent home, sent to another local cemetery, or buried here.
Included in the number were 187 Union prisoners who died in the . . . — Map (db m74054) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — The Old Brick Wall|
|This historic brick wall is all that remains of the Cemetery's original enclosure, which was built in sections beginning in 1827, and extended almost one mile in length.
Most of the wall was demolished by the City of Lynchburg as it deteriorated through the years, but the wall’s foundation is still visible in certain areas.
The 800-foot portion of wall still standing today was built in 1867-1868 with funds raised jointly by the Ladies Memorial Association and the City of Lynchburg. It . . . — Map (db m74058) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — The Quartermaster’s Glanders Stable|
|Horses and mules were essential to the operation of the Civil War, and bass numbers of animals were needed. Lynchburg, one of the four quartermaster depots for the Confederacy, was supplying General Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. In 1863, following the Battle of Brandy Station, the Confederate Army ended its practice of private ownership of cavalry mounts and began to supply the necessary horses. Thousands of horses and mules were quartered only a short distance away in the . . . — Map (db m74062) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — Q 6-15 — Virginia University of Lynchburg|
|In 1886 the Virginia Baptist State Convention founded the Lynchburg Baptist Seminary as an institution of “self-reliance,” “racial pride,” and “faith”. It first offered classes in 1890 as the renamed Virginia Seminary. Under the direction of Gregory Willis Hayes, the second president of the college who served from 1891 to 1906, the school became a pioneer in the field of African American education. In 1900 the school was reincorporated as the Virginia . . . — Map (db m74005) HM|
|Virginia, Lynchburg — When Lynchburg Was “Lunchburg”|
|During the First World War, many people across the country knew Lynchhurg as “Lunchburg.” The City earned this nickname because of its famous Red Cross Canteen Service to soldiers traveling by train through Lynchburg. From 1917 to I919, dedicated and patriotic young women of the Lynchburg Red Cross dispensed food and cheer to thousands of troops at the Southern Railway Station on Kemper Street.
“Lunchburg” became a nationally-recognized canteen (or refreshment) stop . . . — Map (db m74069) HM|
|Virginia (Campbell County), Lynchburg — K 149 — Mount Athos|
|Two miles north stand massive sandstone walls and four chimneys, the ruins of Mount Athos, overlooking a bend of the James River. The house was built about 1800 for William J. Lewis (1766-1828) on land that had been patented in 1742 by John Bolling and called Buffalo Lick Plantation. Lewis, who bought the land from Bolling's heirs in 1796, had commanded riflemen at Yorktown in 1781. He served in the Virginia House of Delegates (1810-1811; 1814-1817) and the U.S. Congress (1817-1819). Mount . . . — Map (db m42896) HM|
|Virginia (Campbell County), Lynchburg — K 150 — Oxford Furnace|
|Just south across Little Beaver Creek stand the ruins of the last of three Oxford Iron Works furnaces built in the vicinity. Virginia and Pennsylvania investors began the ironworks nearby between 1768 and 1772 as a small bloomery forge. According to local tradition, James Callaway built the first blast furnace a mile south before the Revolutionary War. David Ross, a Petersburg entrepreneur, bought the property and built the second furnace on another branch of the creek by late 1776. Thomas . . . — Map (db m42897) HM|