HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Manitowoc County Markers
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Cooperstown — 377 — Rock Mill
In 1847 New York millwright and speculator Pliney Pierce built this mill adjacent to the rapidly falling waters of Devils River. First constructed as a sawmill, Rock Mill was quickly converted to a gristmill after the area's available timber was depleted. Serving mostly local German, Czech and Irish immigrant farmers, Rock Mill ground as many as 118 bags of grain a day and produced wheat, rye and graham flour and animal feed. The mill functioned as the social center of rural life here for almost 90 years, ceasing operation in 1934. — Map (db m32536) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Denmark — 268 — Wisconsin's Maritime Industries
Since about 1840, the lakeshore area from Manitowoc to Sturgeon Bay has been a center for shipping, fishing, and shipbuilding on the upper Great Lakes. Early shipping was characterized by sail and steam vessels docking at small private piers extending into the lake. In the 1860s, lakeshore communities improved their har­bors so that ships could dock farther inland. Completion of the Sturgeon Bay Canal in 1880 greatly shortened the Lake Michigan-Green Bay passage. Manitowoc and Kewaunee became . . . — Map (db m22452) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Kiel — Kiel Veterans Park
In memory of our departed comrades who gave their today for your tomorrow Post 6707 — Map (db m57664) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — "Pulaski Square"In Memory of Brig. Gen. Casimir Pulaski — 1779 - 1929
Brave and famous Pole who fell mortally wounded during the siege of Savannah, GA. Oct. 11, 1779 while leading a detachment of cavalry in an attack upon the British lines. Dedicated by the Manitowoc Poles in commemoration of the 150th anniversary of Pulaski's death. Zokazyi 150 letniej rocznicy smierci Gen Kazimerza Pulaskiego. Polacy W Manitowoc umiescili na tym pomniku bronzowy napis dnia 13 Paz. 1929. — Map (db m57375) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — A Century of Service: Manitowoc Public Library 1900-2000
Manitowoc has a rich library tradition. Around the Civil War several efforts were made to provide library services, but failed primarily due to lack of funding. During 1898 and 1899 the Clio Club, a women's literary group, raised $4,700 to establish a library supported by public taxation. Manitowoc's first public library opened on March 13, 1900 in rooms above the US Post Office. It was clear the new library was too small. Andrew Carnegie was solicited and on December 29, 1902 a response was . . . — Map (db m57496) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Alf Muchin & Sons Furniture Store; Anderson Electric Company
Alf Muchin & Sons Furniture Store; Anderson Electric Company 821-823 Washington Street c. 1930 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57526) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — American Legion Memorial Tree
This tree is planted in memory of our fallen comrades of the World War - For God and Country - — Map (db m57235) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Brandt Printing & Binding Co.
Brandt Printing & Binding Co. 822 South Eighth Street c. 1890 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57512) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Charles W. White Law Office
Charles W. White Law Office 909 South Eighth Street c. 1863 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57523) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Christine Drost Millinery
Christine Drost Millinery 811 Jay Street c. 1882 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57517) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — County Hospital Cemetery
This publicly-owned cemetery contains the burials of 162 patients from the Manitowoc County Asylum for the Insane and the Manitowoc County Hospital who died between the years 1917 and 1974. The names of all, but two, are known. The Manitowoc County Insane Asylum was established in 1884 by the Manitowoc County Board of Supervisors on 57 acres of farmland located on the southwest side of the city of Manitowoc (betwen Hamilton and Division & 21st and 26th Streets). It later expanded to over . . . — Map (db m57291) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — F.C. Buerstatte Pharmacy
F.C. Buerstatte Pharmacy 919 South Eighth Street c. 1875 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57508) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Fehr's Jewelry
Fehr's Jewelry 910 South Eighth Street c. 1867 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57521) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — 8 — First Court House and Jail
This boulder marks the square where the First Court House and Jail were located in Manitowoc County Built in 1840 — Map (db m57246) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — 53 — First Landing
This Spot Marks the Landing of the First White Settlers in Manitowoc May 5, 1836 ________ Manitowoc County Historical Society 1939 — Map (db m32581) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Fred Schultz Residence
Fred Schultz Residence 701 Franklin Street c. 1853 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57513) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Fricke Brewery
Fricke Brewery 934-936 South Tenth Street c. 1865 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57615) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — G.A.R - H.M. Walker Post 18Grand Army of the Republic
1861 - 1865 Grand Army of The Republic H.M. Walker Post No. 18 — Map (db m57243) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — G.W. Fechter Stationery
G.W. Fechter Stationery 212 North Eighth Street c. 1911 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57507) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — German-American Bank
German-American Bank 902 Jay Street c. 1901 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m57494) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Grand Army of the Republic Memorial Tree
Memorial Tree planted in honor of the Grand Army of the Republic by its Auxillary the National Woman's Relief Corps — Map (db m57236) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — I.O.O.F. BlockInternational Order of Odd Fellows
I.O.O.F. Block International Order of Odd Fellows 927 South Eighth Street c. 1890 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57524) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — J. Jarchow Blacksmith Shop
J. Jarchow Blacksmith Shop 909 Washington St. c. 1895 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57527) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — J.P. Schreihart Building
J.P. Schreihart Building 901 Washington Street c. 1883 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57528) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — 369 — Manitowoc and the Car Ferries / S.S. Badger
Manitowoc and the Car Ferries. In the first five decades of the 20th century, Lake Michigan railroad car ferry service aided national defense and the regional economy by providing a key transportation alternative to the railroad bottle neck in Chicago. At the Port of Manitowoc, where car ferries were the major cargo carriers, Manitowoc shipbuilders constructed eleven car ferries and maintained, repaired, and remodeled many more. Five of these ships were built for the Pere Marquette Line . . . — Map (db m11835) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — 81000047 — Manitowoc County Courthouse
Manitowoc County Courthouse 1010 South Eighth Street c. 1906 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57309) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Manitowoc County Veterans Memorial Park
Map (db m57252) WM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Manitowoc Motor Hotel
Manitowoc Motor Hotel 204 North Eighth Street c. 1927 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57509) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Manitowoc National Bank
Manitowoc National Bank 808 Washington Steet c. 1922 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57515) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Manitowoc Savings Bank
Manitowoc Savings Bank 922-930 South Eighth Street c. 1927 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57516) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — 285 — Manitowoc Submarines
At the outbreak of World War II in 1939, President Franklin D. Roosevelt called upon America to rearm. Increasing the number of submarines became a goal. Because existing shipbuilders could not meet production schedules, the U.S. Navy approached Charles C. West, president of the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company, and requested that his firm build submarines. Government contracts led to the expansion and modernization of the Manitowoc Shipbuilding Company facilities. Workers and engineers . . . — Map (db m12075) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — 246 — Manitowoc's Maritime Heritage
In 1847 Captain Joseph Edwards built the schooner Citizen here, beginning an era of maritime tradition in Manitowoc which has still not ended. The Challenge, believed one of the first clipper ships produced on the Great Lakes, was built by one of the shipyards that lined the river banks. The Cora A., launched here in 1889, was the last schooner built on the Great Lakes. During the late 1800s, the Goodrich Transportation Company played an important role in the growth . . . — Map (db m12073) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — O. Torrison & Co.
O. Torrison & Co. 2 North Eighth Street c. 1882 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57510) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Old Military Road
This tablet marks the Old Military Road completed in 1840 used between Fort Howard (Green Bay) and Fort Dearborn (Chicago) — Map (db m57240) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Potter's Field Cemetery
The land was originally part of 80 acres owned by Jacob W. Conroe who built a sawmill at Manitowoc Rapids in 1856. In 1914 the farmland was purchased by Manitowoc County and the ground set aside as a free burial place for poor destitute and unknown persons. The cemetery contains 85 recorded burials interred between 1918 and 1973. Among those buried here are infants, old age pensioners, and a Lake Michigan sailor. The names of all, except ten, are known. The name "Potter's Field" is of . . . — Map (db m57290) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Ralph Clark Huston Jr.
Ralph Clark Huston Jr. S1/c USNR 20 MM Loader killed by Japanese gunfire during surface attack by Cobia 2-27-45 remains committed to the deep. — Map (db m39474) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Residence713 Washington Street
Residence 713 Washington Street c. 1880 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57514) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Rummele's Jewelry
Rummele's Jewelry 818 South Eighth Street c. 1890 / c. 1932 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57511) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — S.S. Kresge Co.
S.S. Kresge Co. 836 South Eighth Street c. 1928 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57522) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Salomon Brothers in the Civil War
In memory of four brothers Residents of Manitowoc Distinguished for service in the Civil War Charles E. Salomon Brigadier General US Army Fred Salomon Major General US Army Edward Salomon Governor of Wisconsin 1862-1864 Herman Salomon Sergt. Co. I 1st MO. Engrs. US Army — Map (db m56734) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Schreihart Building
Schreihart Building 1004 Washington Street c. 1918 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57614) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Sexton House1878
Is listed in the National and State Registers of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior and The State Historical Society of Wisconsin — Map (db m57389) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Soldiers and SailorsEternal Flame
On Memorial Day May 30, 1969 the American Legion Post 88 Manitowoc dedicated the eternal flame to all veterans of Manitowoc County. The flame was kept burning with donations from the American Legion, other veterans organizations and concerned citizens of Manitowoc County until 1993 when funds were received from the Fanny Angus Healy trust for perpetual care of the eternal Flame and the Veterans Memorial. — Map (db m57251) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Sputnik IV
Sputnik IV Satellite fragment was recovered at this site Sept 6, 1962 — Map (db m57292) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Staff Sgt. Andrew Miller
Andrew Miller was born on August 11, 1916 in Manitowoc, the third son of Henry and Margaret Miller. He was inducted into the United States Army in June 1942 at Two Rivers. Miller landed in France on September 14, 1944, part of the Allied invasion force from England to France. Miller saw 36 days of continuous actions with General Patton's Third Army march into Germany. S/Sgt. Andrew Miller served in Company G, 377th Infantry Regiment, 95th Infantry Division. He was sited for personal . . . — Map (db m57249) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Steam Barge Francis HintonHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden steam barge Built: 1889, Hansen & Scove, Manitowoc, Wis. Sank: November 16, 1909 Length: 152’ Beam: 31’ Cargoes: Lumber, wood products Propulsion: Propeller Depth of Wreckage: 15’ Listed on the National Register of Historic Places About one-quarter mile offshore from this point lies the wreck of the steam barge Francis Hinton. The Francis Hinton was built in Manitowoc in 1889 for the Lake Michigan lumber trade. She was the last ship built by the . . . — Map (db m56035) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Tauscheck's Millinery
Tauscheck's Millinery 813 Jay Street c. 1916 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57518) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — The Wampum or Mexico1789 - 1844
Chief of the Chippewa Ottawa and Menominee Indians of Manitowoc Co Signed the treaties of Butte des Mortes - 1827 Green Bay - 1828 Prairie du Chien - 1829 Chicago - 1833 Friend of the Early Settlers — Map (db m57238) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — U.S.S. Cobia
U.S.S. Cobia has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1986 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m39489) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Union Park
The land for "North Side Park" was donated by Manitowoc founder Benjamin Jones. A Victorian bandstand and ornate drinking fountain were once located in the center. Following Fort Sumter, April, 1861, volunteers marched and drilled here preparing for service in the Union Army although they were without uniforms, weapons or a flag. On June 17, 1861 ladies from the village of Manitowoc presented the company with a handmade red, white and blue silk flag. Days later the 104 man militia unit . . . — Map (db m32631) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — Vilas - Rahr MansionRahr West Art Museum
Vilas-Rahr Mansion 610 North Eighth Street c. 1893 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m57571) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — W. Stephani Block
W. Stephani Block 933-935 South Eighth Street c. 1883 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57525) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — William Rathsack & Sons Co. Hardware
William Rathsack & Sons Co. Hardware 814 Jay Street c. 1895 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 8th Street Historic District Manitowoc, Wisconsin — Map (db m57520) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — 251 — Winnebago Trail
Many modern highways follow routes marked out long ago by Indian people. The Winnebago Trail across central Wisconsin became the general course of Highways 151 from Manitowoc to Fond du Lac, 45 from Fond du Lac to Oshkosh, 21 from Oshkosh to Sparta and 16 from Sparta to La Crosse. When European contact occurred in the first half of the 1600's, the Winnebago had their permanent village and garden area in the Green Bay–Lake Winnebago region, ranging out seasonally to hunt and gather . . . — Map (db m32499) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Manitowoc — World War I Memorial
In memory of the men and women who offered their lives for the freedom of mankind in the World War of 1914 — 1918 Presented by The American Legion Auxillary Map (db m57467) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Maribel — 263 — Wisconsin's Dairy Industry
The growth of the dairy industry in Wisconsin is a story of remarkable transfer of scientific knowledge to practical use. As dairy farming developed, Wisconsin's agri­culture underwent transformation in less than 50 years. Proposed as an alternative to wheat farming as early as the 1850s, dairying was common in southeastern and south central Wisconsin by the early 1860s. Farmers in other regions soon adopted diversified dairy farming, an enterprise favored by the state's geography. At . . . — Map (db m10709) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Meeme — 374 — Meeme Poll House
The Meeme Poll House, the official voting place in the Town of Meeme for 83 years, was erected by Joseph Schwartz and Edmund Kolb in 1900. German immigrants and their descendants exercised their democratic right to vote in this simple wooden structure. The adjacent Meeme House (c.1847), originally a stagecoach inn, served as the town's polling place in the 19th century. The Meeme Poll House closed in 1983, but curtained voting booths still remain in the interior. — Map (db m36204) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Saint Nazianz — 442 — George Washington School
The George Washington School was built in 1893 at a cost of $1,800. It is believed to have once housed the largest collection of library books of any Manitowoc County rural school. The Village of St. Nazianz purchased the school in 1983 and converted it into its village hall. Erected 2000 Map (db m46185) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Saint Nazianz — 445 — St. Nazianz
In 1854, Fr. Ambrose Oschwald and a group of settlers emigrated from Baden, Germany to found a Catholic religious colony in the spirit of early Christians. This communal settlement was named St. Nazianz, after St. Gregory of Nazianzus from whose life and writings Fr. Oschwald drew inspiration. Like St. Gregory, Fr. Oschwald was interested in healing physical ills. Before departing for America, Fr. Oschwald studied medicine at the University of Munich. In Wisconsin, many came to St. . . . — Map (db m32327) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Saint Nazianz — St. Nazianz Area Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to All St. Nazianz Area Veterans ————— They Fought So We All Stand Free ————— Wagner Eberle Sukowaty Post 477 American Legion [The American Legion emblem] Map (db m46883) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), St. Nazianz — St. Gregory Church1864–1868
St. Gregory Church 1864–1868 is listed in the State Register of Historic Places The State Historical Society of Wisconsin Map (db m32313) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Tisch Mills — Black Earth Indian Village
For hundreds of years, the Potawatomi village of Ma-Kah-Da-We-Kah-Mich-Cock (Black Earth) was located on this spot. The people lived in huts made of bark. They raised crops of corn, beans, pumpkin and squash, and lived off abundant fish and game. Chief War Thunder led a band from this place to help the Americans at Fort Detroit during the Revolutionary War. In 1862, white settlers fought with the Potawatomi and drove them from this village. Eventually they resettled in Northern Wisconsin. — Map (db m39476) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Town of Manitowoc Rapids — 478 — Collins Road Bridge Span
This bridge was originally one of five spans that carried Collins Road over the Manitowoc River in the Town of Rockland. Built in 1911, it was replaced in 2001 and moved to Pinecrest Historical Village. This span is preserved to illustrate the typical riveted-metal truss construction of Warren Pony Truss bridges. These bridges were prevalent in Wisconsin from the early 20th century through the 1930s. After that time, concrete bridges were promoted as less costly to build, maintenance-free, and easily widened to meet changing traffic needs. — Map (db m48409) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Creeks — Ancient Buried ForestTwo Creeks Buried Forest State Natural Area
Located on a high, eroding bluff along Lake Michigan, Two Creeks is an ancient forest of pine, hemlock, and spruce that established about 12,000 years ago. During various glacial advances and retreats water, silt, and clay buried the forest and over time, constant wave action has exposed the soil layers uncovering long buried branches, logs and tree stumps. Radiocarbon dating provides us with a precise glacial record and gives evidence of boreal forest development in the Two Creeks area. — Map (db m39271) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Civil War Memorial
Erected 1900 In memory of those who fought in defense of the Union 1861-1865 — Map (db m57254) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Galecki Building
Two Rivers Central Park Historic District Galecki Building This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1917 — Map (db m57613) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Grover/Smith Cabin
Built in 1929 by William A. Grover and John Volin. Restored in 2003 by Kevin Voysey and other volunteers with the cooperation of Point Beach State Forest supervisor, Guy Willman. Thanks from the Grover/Smith families to all who helped. — Map (db m38912) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Hamilton Community HouseTwo Rivers Central Park Historic District
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of Interior 1931 — Map (db m57493) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Hamilton SchoolTwo Rivers Central Park Historic District
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1903 — Map (db m48445) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — 197 — Ice Cream Sundae
In 1881, George Hallauer asked Edward C. Berner, the owner of a soda fountain at 1404 – 15th Street, to top a dish of ice cream with chocolate sauce, hitherto used only for ice cream sodas. The concoction cost a nickel and soon became very popular, but was sold only on Sundays. One day a ten year old girl insisted she have a dish of ice cream "with that stuff on top," saying they could "pretend it was Sunday." After that, the confection was sold every day in many flavors. It lost . . . — Map (db m11772) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — 325 — Rawley Point Lighthouse
On this prominent point of land, a major threat to navigation on Lake Michigan's western shore, Rawley Point Lighthouse was erected in 1894 and is the only one of its kind on the Great Lakes. The tower is a reconstruction and enlargement of an old Chicago River lighthouse that was transported to this location. Standing at 113 feet, this soaring structure is the tallest octagonal skeletal light tower on the Great Lakes and replaced a deteriorated 1874 brick lighthouse whose keeper's quarters . . . — Map (db m57927) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Schooner Rouse SimmonsHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden schooner, three-masted Built: 1868, Allen McClelland and Company, Milwaukee Sank: November 23, 1912 Length: 124’ Beam: 27’ Cargo: Lumber, wood products, Christmas trees Depth of Wreckage: 165’ Lives lost: 16 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places About 12 miles northeast of this spot, 165 feet below the waves, lies one of the most celebrated shipwrecks in Lake Michigan. The three-masted Rouse Simmons spent her career like many lumber . . . — Map (db m56033) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — St. John’s Evangelical Lutheran ChurchTwo Rivers Central Park Historic District
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1889 — Map (db m48446) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — St. Luke Catholic Church
St. Luke Church Complex St. Luke Catholic Church This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1891 — Map (db m57608) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — St. Luke Convent
St. Luke Church Complex St. Luke Convent This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1903 — Map (db m57607) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — St. Luke Rectory
St. Luke Church Complex St. Luke Rectory This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1895 — Map (db m57609) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — St. Luke School
St. Luke Church Complex St. Luke School This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1909 — Map (db m57610) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Steamer ContinentalHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin's Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden bulk freighter Built: 1882, George Presley, Cleveland, Ohio Sank: December 13, 1904 Length: 245' Beam: 36' Cargo: Iron Ore Propulsion: Propeller Depth of Wreckage: 15' The wreck of the steam-powered bulk freighter Continental lies about a mile north of the Rawley Point Lighthouse. After 22 years on the Great Lakes, the Continental met her fate in a blinding snowstorm. Early on a December morning in 1904, the Continental was steaming south past Twin Rivers . . . — Map (db m53709) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Steamer VernonHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: packet steamer Built: 1886, J.P. Smith, Chicago Sank: October 29, 1887 Lives lost: 40 to 50 Length: 177’ Beam: 26’ Cargo: passengers, pig iron, produce, fish, package freight, barrel staves Propulsion: steam screw (propeller) Depth of Wreckage: 200’ From the moment she was launched, onlookers predicted bad luck for the elegant packet steamer Vernon. She was fast and beautifully adorned, but a math error by here designer left her top-heavy and unstable. Bult for the . . . — Map (db m68718) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Two Rivers' North Pier Lighthouse
Built in 1886 by a Mr. Boehmer of Manitowoc for the U.S. Lighthouse Service this lighthouse stood at the harbor entrance of Two Rivers for 89 years until it was replaced by an automated beacon. The original lamp was a 240 degree Fresnel lens lit by an oil wick. Later, the oil was replaced by an electric bulb.

Mr. Anton Gauthier of Two Rivers was the first keeper of this lighthouse which was included in his duties as the keeper of the Rawley Point Lighthouse now known as Point Beach Lighthouse. — Map (db m39245) HM

Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Two Rivers Post Office
Two Rivers Post Office This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1933 Two Rivers Central Park Historic District — Map (db m57531) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Two Rivers War Memorial
World War I World War II Korean War Vietnam War Dedicated in honor and loving memory of Army Spc. Shaun A. Novak Killed Aug. 27, 2006 Taji, Iraq Operation Iraqi Freedom — Map (db m57532) WM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Two Rivers — Washington House
Two Rivers Central Park Historic District Washington House This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior 1850 — Map (db m57612) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Valders — Site of Gjerpen Evangelical Lutheran Church
Site Gjerpen Evangelical Lutheran Church Founded 1850 Pastors H. A. Stub 1850 - 1852 J. A. Otteson 1852 - 1860 L. M. Biorn 1862 - 1872 A. O. Alfsen 1872 - 1917 A. O. White 1917 - 1930 E. A. Fretheim 1931 - 1940 Martin Trygstad 1940 - 1945 Norman Berntson 1946 - 1952 Alvin Holland 1952 - 1957 Jerry Moe 1957 - 1959 Robert Onkka 1960 -      First Church Erected 1856 Second Church Erected 1876 Merged with Valders Evangelical Lutheran Church and Our . . . — Map (db m11961) HM
Wisconsin (Manitowoc County), Valders — 176 — Thorstein Veblen(1857 – 1929)
One of Wisconsin's most controversial figures, Thorstein Bunde Veblen, was born near here July 30, 1857. In 1865 the Veblen family moved to Minnesota where Thorstein graduated from college in 1880. He was a deep thinker, usually lonely and always in debt. After receiving a Ph.D. in philosophy from Yale in 1884, Veblen taught in several colleges. He was not a popular teacher but attracted dedi­cated followers to his extreme social and economic ideas. In 1899, his book "The Theory of the . . . — Map (db m11633) HM
85 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 188 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.