|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Coleman — 477 — Lena Road Schoolhouse|
|Constructed in 1911, Lena Road School is one of the few remaining intact one-room schoolhouses in Marinette County. The school grounds feature the original privies and an early hand water pump. For over fifty years, local farming families sent their children to the Lena Road School where they were taught from grades 1 through 8. The school was consolidated in 1964 and the building was purchased by the Maedke Family who have restored the structure. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m39248) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Goodman — Goodman|
|The lumber companies which created many of the communities in northern Wisconsin have passed from the scene, but the villages remain, monuments to the hardihood and persistence of the residents who worked and lived in these communities. Goodman was a company town founded in 1908 by the Goodman Lumber Company which owned 100,000 acres of woods surrounding the village. Unlike other company towns now gone, Goodman continues to flourish. Many wood and brick buildings were erected. The first . . . — Map (db m86898) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Marinette — 10,000 Board Feet of Logs|
|This is a typical load of 10,000 board feet of logs, as harvested during the lumber boom, about 1885. The logs were marked and piled at the river's edge. In the spring, they were floated down the Menominee River to the various booms of the thirty saw mills located here.
After cutting, most of the lumber was transported to Chicago by sailing schooners.
Peter Weber, who has contributed much to the preservation of forest lands, donated this load of logs, the Marinette Marine Corporation, . . . — Map (db m16130) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Marinette — Evancheck Cabin — Porterfield, Wisconsin — Built 1897|
|This was a typical homesteaders' residence in the late 19th century. The Evancheck family donated the cabin in 1994 and it was reassembled on Stephenson Island. It had been in their family for almost a century. — Map (db m38985) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Marinette — Menominee River|
|This river is named after the Menominees who lived here until they moved to the Wolf River in the 1850's. The Menominee River served as the main artery of commerce until the 1850's. Indians and fur traders moved their furs downriver in canoes to a fur trading post on the river run by Marinette, a French Indian woman, and her partner, William Farnsworth. The decline of the fur trade in the late 1820's led Farnsworth to turn to lumbering in 1831.
The Menominee River became one of the most . . . — Map (db m15956) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Marinette — Queen Marinette — 1793 - 1865|
| Indian chief's daughter after whom Marinette City and county were named. Southerly about 60 feet stood her home and trading post from 1846 to 1895. — Map (db m39244) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Pembine — The Cool North Woods|
|Before air conditioning, interstate highways, and automobiles, a privileged few escaped the hot summers of the lower Midwest by taking trains to resorts built by the railroads in the north woods. Besides bringing settlers north and moving lumber south, railroads built resort hotels hoping to attract patrons during the summer months. Faced with a dwindling number of settlers and fewer logs to carry, the seasonal nature and small number of vacationers taking trains to the north woods, the resorts . . . — Map (db m76247) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Peshtigo — In Memoriam|
|To the memory of over 600 men, women and children who perished when every building in the Village of Peshtigo was burned and many surrounding farms were devasted in the great tornado of fire October 8, 1871. — Map (db m15654) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Peshtigo — Latitude 45° N|
Theoretical Half Way Point
North Pole [right arrow]
Equator [left arrow]
The spheroidal shape of the earth makes degrees of latitude in the north longer than in the south. The true half-way point between pole and equator on Highway 41 is marked 710 feet north of Menominee. On Highway 141 see marker 3/4 mile north of Beaver.
Frank E. Noyes, 1938 — Map (db m4413) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Peshtigo — 1 — Peshtigo Fire Cemetery|
|On the night of 0ctober 8, 1871, Peshtigo, a booming town of 1700 people, was wiped out of existence in the greatest forest fire disaster in American history.
Loss of life and even property in the great fire occurring the same night in Chicago did not match the death toll and destuction visited upon northeastern Wisconsin during the same dreadful hours.
The town of Peshtigo was centered around a woodenware factory, the largest in the country. Every bulding in the community was lost. . . . — Map (db m39212) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Wagner — 464 — McAllister State Graded School|
|The term “graded school” was used to refer to any school that had more than one room and therefore contained more than one grade level of pupils. The McAllister State Graded School was built in 1914 and added to in 1919, 1924 and 1936. This was a response to the state government's encouragement of “state graded” schools as a means to improve the quality of rural education. In the early twentieth century, Marinette County had many one room schools but only three two-room . . . — Map (db m58569) HM|
|Wisconsin (Marinette County), Wausaukee — Marinette County Forests|
|Originally covered by magnificent stands of forests, the northern two-thirds of the county consisted of cutover lands which attracted farmers from the corn belt during World War I. Wartime prosperity and settlement were followed by agricultural depression and farm abandonment during the 1920's, creating a crisis for Marinette County government. In 1928, six of the 18 county towns could not pay their highway assessments and because of sparse settlement, Marinette County pupil costs were 40% . . . — Map (db m76254) HM|