|HMdb.org ||THE HISTORICAL|
MARKER DATABASE “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Add A Marker
Links & Books
Word or Phrase
|Marion County Markers
|Georgia (Marion County), Buena Vista — 098-5 — Church Hill|
|This name was given to the large settlement here because of its many churches. Shiloh Baptist, still active, was constituted in 1835. Smyrna Presbyterian, constituted July 28, 1838, was active until 1925. Church Hill Methodist was here from 1838 until 1898. The Christian Union Church operated from 1840 to 1870.
The famous old St. Marys Road from Columbus to St. Marys, on the coast, passed on the west side of Smyrna Church and in front of the others. The old Mt. Pisgah Free Will Baptist . . . — Map (db m56637) HM|
|Georgia (Marion County), Buena Vista — 098-1 — Fort Perry — 1813|
|One half mile due east lies the site of Fort Perry, along the Old Federal Road. A stockade fort, defended by block houses, this post was ordered erected by General John Floyd, of Camden county, as he led a body of 400 Georgia Militiamen through this friendly Indian country to fight the Red Sticks across the Chattahoochee river in Alabama territory. Completed in October 1813, it was named in honor of Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry, Naval hero of the War of 1812, whose message from the Battle of . . . — Map (db m27255) HM|
|Georgia (Marion County), Buena Vista — 098-3 — New Courthouse - 1850|
|Built in 1850 of locally made brick, this is one of two courthouses standing in Marion County. The other built in 1848 is at Tazewell. The first courthouse was at Horry. When the county seat was moved here the town was called Pea Ridge. Wishing a new name the citizens chose Taylor, for Gen. Zach Taylor, but found there was already a Taylor, Ga. Then came news of a Mexican War victory at Buena Vista and this name was chosen. Pea Ridge was one mile from the ancient Indian village of King’s Town . . . — Map (db m27234) HM|
|Georgia (Marion County), Buena Vista — 098-2 — Old Federal Road — <------->|
|The road crossing east and west here is the Old Federal Road, western Georgia’s first vehicular thoroughfare. Beginning at Fort Hawkins (now Macon) it led across the Creek Indian Country to the Alabama River above Mobile. Permission to open the trace was granted by the Indians in 1805. The road long served as an emigrant and post route to the West. Fort Perry, one-half mile due east, was established by General John Floyd’s army when it came this way during the Creek War of 1813-14. . . . — Map (db m27257) HM|
|Georgia (Marion County), Buena Vista — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region|
|In 1774 William Bartram trekked Old Federal Road through Fort Perry, going on to camp at Pintchlucco (Pine Knot Creek). — Map (db m11384) HM|
|Georgia (Marion County), Tazewell — 098-4 — Old Courthouse – 1848 — <------<<<<|
|This courthouse built in 1848 at a cost of $1,637 replaced one built in 1839 and was burned in 1845. The courthouse now in use was built at Buena Vista, then Pea Ridge, in 1850 when the county seat was moved. The first courthouse in Marion County was at Horry. Members of Marion Lodge No. 14 F. & A.M. established in 1840 have met in this old courthouse since its construction. Prior to this they met in the courthouse that was burned. This courthouse now marks the exact center of the new city limits established by incorporation in 1953. — Map (db m38187) HM|
2006–2016, Some rights reserved.
— About Us
— Contact Us
in 428 ms.