|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-17 — Abel Kolb's Murder / Welsh Neck Cemetery|
|Marker Front: Colonel Abel Kolb was a prominent Revolutionary War Patriot of this area. A band of Tory raiders, on the night of April 27-28, 1781, surrounded the home of Colonel Kolb and his family. He was shot while surrendering himself as a prisoner of war and his home was burned. His grave is in old Welsh Neck cemetery, one mile north, a short distance from his home site.
Marker Reverse: One mile north on the east bank of Pee Dee River is the site of Old Welsh Neck Baptist . . . — Map (db m31745) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-36 — Ammons Family Cemetery|
The family cemetery of Joshua Ammons (1756-1833), veteran of the American Revolution, is all that remains of his 500-acre plantation near the Three Creeks. Ammons, a native of Virginia, moved to S.C. by 1775, when he enlisted in the 3rd S.C. Militia. Ammons reenlisted in 1777, and was in the battles of Savannah and Stono Ferry and the Siege of Savannah in 1777-1779. |
Ammons, captured by the British at the fall of Charleston in 1780, was exchanged in time for the . . . — Map (db m43843) HM
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-14 — Battle of Hunt's Bluff / Old River Road|
|Marker Front: On July 25, 1780, a convoy of British boats en route from Cheraw to Georgetown was captured here by local Patriots. Wooden logs resembling cannon were mounted on this bluff. When boats appeared, Captain Tristram Thomas demanded unconditional surrender. At this signal, the Loyalist escort joined forces with the Patriots, making prisoners of the British troops.
Marker Reverse: This "River Road" was in existence before the Revolution and was a principal trading route . . . — Map (db m31664) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-1 — Bennettsville|
|In 1819 the court house of Marlborough District was transferred from Carlisle, a village on the Pee Dee River, to this more central location. Bennettsville developed around the new court house in the heart of a rich farm land area. On March 6, 1863, it was occupied by the 17th Army Corps, United States Army, commanded by Gen. W.T. Sherman. — Map (db m31718) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-1 — Bennettsville|
|In 1819 the court house of Marlborough District was transferred from Carlisle, a village on the Pee Dee River, to this more central location. Bennettsville developed around the new court house in the heart of a rich farm land area. On March 6, 1865, it was occupied by the 17th Army Corps, U. S. A., commanded by Gen. W.T. Sherman. — Map (db m47555) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-7 — Bennettsville Methodist Church|
|The first Methodist house of worship in Marlboro County was at Beauty Spot, two miles north of here, where, in 1788, Bishop Asbury attended a meeting. By 1834, the first church in town had been built here on 1 ½ acres of land donated by W. J. Cook. A second building was erected about 1871. The present church dates from 1900 and was extensively renovated and improved during 1955 and 1956. — Map (db m38032) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-13 — Bennettsville Presbyterian Church|
|Marker Front: This church was founded in 1855 by nine members of the Great Pee Dee Presbyterian Church, 5 mi. SE. Rev. Pierpont E. Bishop was its first permanent minister. The first church, a frame building, was dedicated in 1855. Elder J. Beatty Jennings was a delegate to the First General Assembly of the Confederate States, in 1861. The second church here, a brick building, was completed in 1907.
Marker Reverse: The second church burned Aug. 24, 1907, before any worship . . . — Map (db m31697) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — Confederate Civil War Monument — [Marlboro County]|
| [Inscriptions: South face]
of Marlboro’s noble sons sacrificed
their lives on the battlefield, in
prison, and by disease.
“God’s peace is everlasting”
are the dream-words of their sleep.
Erected A.D. 1907
No country ever had truer sons ;
No cause - nobler champions;
No people - bolder defenders;
No principle - purer victims.
In honored remembrance shall we ever
hold those who were . . . — Map (db m37385) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-32 — D.D. McColl House / D.D. McColl House — 1826 / 1884|
| D. D. McColl House 1826 This house, built in 1826 on Darlington St. (now Main St.), was first owned by H.H. Covington. It was sold in 1871 to Duncan Donald McColl (1842 1911), prominent Marlboro County lawyer and businessman; the McColls lived in this house until 1884. Later moved to S. Liberty St., then McColl St., and finally to its present location by Hugh L. McColl, Jr., the house was donated to the county by McColl in 1991.
D. D. McColl House 1884 This Queen Anne house, . . . — Map (db m38060) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-3 — Edward Crosland House|
|This marks the oldest house in Bennettsville, built in 1800 by Edward Crosland, who was born in England and later married Ann Snead. He died in Bennettsville in 1821. He was a Patriot, American Revolutionary Soldier and Plantation Owner. His youngest son, William Crosland, was born in this house on April 23, 1800. — Map (db m38028) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-9 — General John McQueen|
|This U.S. congressman was born on February 9, 1804, at Queensdale, N.C. After being admitted to the bar in 1828, he established a law office on this corner in Bennettsville. McQueen served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1849 to 1860, resigning on South Carolina's secession from the Union. He was a General of S.C. Militia, a prominent secessionist, and a member of the First Confederate Congress. — Map (db m38033) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-18 — Grave Of General Tristram Thomas / Saw Mill Baptist Church|
| Grave of General Tristram Thomas In Saw Mill Church cemetery is the grave of Tristram Thomas, major of militia during the Revolution. At Hunt's Bluff, ten miles south, a band of Patriots under his command seized a British flotilla in 1780. He served as legislator, as first Brigadier General of the Cheraw Militia, and as commissioner for locating the county seat.
Saw Mill Baptist Church In 1785 Philip Pledger donated to the Cheraw Hill Baptist Church a tract of land here . . . — Map (db m38035) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-34 — J.F. Kinney House / P.M. Kinney House|
| J.F. Kinney House This house was built as a one-story residence in 1902 for Dr. John Frank Kinney (1870-1928) and his wife Florence McLeod Kinney (1874-1936). They added a second story and wraparound porch in 1907 and raised their five children here. Kinney was educated at Wofford College and the Medical College of S.C. He was county physician for 28 years, served on the Bennettsville Board of Health, and was also president of the Pee Dee Medical Association.
P.M. Kinney House . . . — Map (db m38061) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-23 — Jennings-Brown House|
|In 1826 Dr. Edward W. Jones bought a lot at S. Marlboro and present E. Main and built this house thereon shortly after. Owned by Dr. J. Beatty Jennings when Union forces occupied Bennettsville 1865, the house is said to have served as their headquarters. Moved here c. 1905, purchased by Lura G. Brown 1930, and opened by Marlboro County Preservation Commission as a house museum 1976. — Map (db m38041) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-12 — John Lowndes McLaurin — (1860-1934)|
|One mile west is the last home of John Lowndes McLaurin, Marlboro County native, U.S. Congressman and Senator. He served as S.C. Representative 1890-91, S.C. Attorney General 1891-92, U.S. Congressman 1892-97, U.S. Senator 1897-1903, and State Warehouse Commissioner 1915-17. The mill pond west of here bears his name. — Map (db m18199) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-25 — Magnolia|
|Constructed in 1853, this house was the home of William D. Johnson, a Bennettsville attorney and one of three Marlboro County signers of South Carolina's Ordinance of Secession. He served in the state Senate 1862-1865 and was elected chancellor of the Equity Court in 1865. According to tradition, Magnolia was occupied by Union troops on March 6, 1865. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m38047) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-2 — Marlborough County Court House|
|Four court houses for Marlborough District or County have stood on this square since Apr. 4, 1820, when it was deeded by John S. Thomas for that purpose. The first court house, completed before 1824, was replaced by a new building in 1852. It was occupied by Union troops in 1865. A third building was finished in 1885. The present court house was built in 1951-1952. — Map (db m31721) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-26 — Marlborough Court House / Old River Road|
|Marker Front: Located about one mile N. of here was the original county seat of Marlborough County, established in 1785. Tristram Thomas conveyed two acres of land to the county for the erection of public buildings in 1787, and the court house and jail were built there shortly afterward. The county seat was removed to a more central location in 1819. No trace of the original town remains.
Marker Reverse: This river road follows the course of the Great Pee Dee River and crosses . . . — Map (db m31742) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-35 — Murchison School|
| Side A The Murchison School, built in 1902, was named for John D. Murchison (1826-1892), a merchant and the first mayor of Bennettsville. It was given to the city in his memory by his widow, former teacher Harriet Murchison Beckwith (1855-1927). This Romanesque Revival school features a central bell tower with a terra cotta tablet over its ornate arched entrance. It was designed by Denver architect John J. Huddart and built by contractor W.T. Wilkins of Florence.
Side B . . . — Map (db m38062) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-4 — Old Female Academy|
|The oldest part of this building served as Bennettsville Female Academy 1833-1881. It originally stood opposite First Methodist Church on East Main Street, was purchased in 1967 by Marlborough Historical Society, moved to its present location, and restored by public donations. Bennettsville Academical Society, organized about 1828, built the Academy. — Map (db m38029) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-31 — Shiness|
| Side A According to a plaque placed on its western wall at time of construction, Shiness was built in 1903 by Alexander James Matheson and named for his paternal grandmother's home in Sutherlandshire, Scotland. Matheson was born in Marlboro County in 1848, became a successful businessman and large landowner, married Sarah Ellen Jarnigan in 1870 and became the father of nine
Side B children. He died in 1918 and is buried in McCall Cemetery in Bennettsville. Shiness was sold . . . — Map (db m38055) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bennettsville — 35-5 — Welsh Neck Settlement|
|Welsh Baptists from Pennsylvania and Delaware settled on the east bank of the Pee Dee as early as 1737. Most of the lands in the Welsh Neck, from Crooked Creek to Hunt's Bluff, had been granted by 1746. A Baptist congregation was organized in 1738. The first church, predecessor of the Welsh Neck Baptist Church in Society Hill, stood one mile upstream. — Map (db m31760) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Blenheim — 35-16 — Blenheim|
|This community was named for Blenheim Palace in England, home of the Duke of Marlborough, for whom Marlboro County is said to have been named. Formerly called Mineral Spring or Spring Hill for the mineral springs ½ mile east, Blenheim traces its origin to wealthy planters who built summer homes in this healthy locality during the ante-bellum period. — Map (db m31643) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Blenheim — Blenheim Mineral Springs — Discovered 1781|
|The Mineral Springs were discovered in 1781 by James Spears, a Whig, who was trying to escape TORY troops, according to Legend. Mr. Spears Lost a shoe in a water hole. When he returned to retrieve his shoe, he tasted the water and noticed its strong mineral content. Word of the Spring spread and soon people were coming to taste the cool refreshing water. Several wealthy Plantation owners built summer homes in the vicinity of the Springs. — Map (db m50341) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Blenheim — 35-30 — Brownsville Baptist Church|
|Marker Front: In 1788, this Baptist congregation, a branch of Cashaway Church (1756) founded by Welsh Neck Church (1738), purchased land 2 miles SW of here from the Rev. John Brown. The congregation was independently constituted in 1789 and named Muddy Creek. The church, which was known as Brownsville by 1829, moved here in 1860.
Marker Reverse: Completed in 1979 to resemble the 1860 church which burned in 1977, this building contains the original pine pews & pulpit furniture . . . — Map (db m31669) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Blenheim — 35-29 — Brownsville Church|
|In 1788, this Baptist congregation, while still a branch of Cashaway Church (1756), purchased this land from the Rev. John Brown. The branch became an independently constituted church in 1789 named Muddy Creek and by 1829 was known as Brownsville. Welsh Neck Baptist Association was organized here in 1832. The church moved 2 miles NE in 1860. — Map (db m31691) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Blenheim — 35-22 — Frederick Charles Hans Bruno Poellnitz / Ragtown|
|Marker Front: Born 1754 in Gotha, Germany, this former chamberlain to King Frederick the Great of Prussia came to America in 1782. Known as Baron Poellnitz, he lived in New York City nearly 8 years before moving 4 mi. W of here on the Pee Dee River. He and George Washington exchanged ideas about farming projects and equipment.
Marker Reverse: Located four miles west, this plantation of 2,991 acres was acquired by Baron Poellnitz in 1790 in exchange for some 22 acres in . . . — Map (db m31682) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Blenheim — 35-21 — Grave of Mason Lee / Will of Mason Lee|
|Marker Front: Mason Lee (1770-1821), a wealthy Pee Dee planter known for his eccentricities, is buried in old Brownsville graveyard two miles south of here. He believed all women were witches and that his kinsmen wished him dead to inherit his property. He felt they used supernatural agents to bewitch him and went to great extremes to avoid these supposed powers.
Marker Reverse: This will, which named S.C. and Tenn. as heirs, was the subject of suits in the 1820's charging Lee . . . — Map (db m31681) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Blenheim — 35-10 — Robert Blair Campbell / John Campbell|
|Marker Front: This U.S. Congressman and diplomat was born at Woodstock (Argyle) Plantation, 3 ½ miles southwest. He was a Brigadier General in the State Militia and served in the S.C. Senate 1822-23, 1830-34. He represented this district in the U.S. Congress 1823-25, 1834-37. He was U.S. Consul to Cuba 1842-50 and to England 1854-61. In 1862 he died and was buried in London.
Marker Reverse: This U.S. congressman, the younger brother of Robert Blair Campbell, was born 3 . . . — Map (db m31649) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Breeden — 35-27 — Early Cotton Mill|
|About 1836 William T. Ellerbe, John McQueen, and John N. Williams built a cotton mill approximately one mile northwest. Power for operation of the mill came from the waters of nearby Crooked Creek. Ellerbe and Williams sold their stock in the mill to Meekin Townsend in 1844. The mill was destroyed by fire in 1851, but Burnt Factory Pond remains today. — Map (db m38054) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Breeden — 35-20 — Old Beauty Spot|
|Here stood the first Methodist church of Marlboro County, a single log cabin built in 1783. Here Bishop Francis Asbury presided over and preached at an early Quarterly Conference, held on February 23, 1788. Camp meetings were held here 1810-1842. In 1883, the church was moved to another site, also called Beauty Spot, two miles eastward. — Map (db m38039) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Bristow — 35-19 — Barnabas Kelet Henagan Home Site|
|Governor Henagan (1798-1855), son of Drusilla and Darby Henagan, planter and physician, lived about one mile northwest of this site. Senator, Marlboro District 1834-38; Lieut. Governor of S.C. 1838-40; Governor of South Carolina 1840; moved to Marion District 1843; Senator, Marion District 1844-46; S.C. Secretary of State 1846-50. — Map (db m38037) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Clio — 35-28 — Clio|
|McLaurin's Muster Ground, located at this crossroads, became a polling place in 1825. According to local tradition, the community was later called Ivy's Crossroads. A post office named Clio was established here in 1836 and the town incorporated in 1882. The Florence Railroad Company extended its Latta Branch line into Clio in 1895. — Map (db m18201) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Clio — 35-33 — Clio Passenger Depot|
|Marker Front: This depot was built in 1915 by the Atlantic Coast Line Railway. The first railroad line in Clio was a branch of the Florence Railroad, extended here from Latta in 1895, with a freight depot on S. Main St. After the Atlantic Coast Line Railway absorbed the Florence Railroad it built this depot. A cotton boom spurred the dramatic growth of Clio between 1900 and 1920 but did not survive the Depression.
Marker Reverse: The Atlantic Coast Line Railway ended rail . . . — Map (db m31620) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Tatum — 35-11 — Daniel Calhoun Roper — (1867-1943)|
|This cabinet member and diplomat was born two miles south of here. He graduated from Trinity College in 1888 and later became head of Marlboro High School, near here. He was Franklin D. Roosevelt's first secretary of commerce from 1933 to 1938 and U.S. minister to Canada, 1939. He was author of Fifty Years of Public Life. — Map (db m31693) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Wallace — 35-6 — Albert M. Shipp|
|In Gillespie Cemetery, west of here, is buried Albert M. Shipp, Methodist minister, Professor of History at the University of North Carolina 1849-59, second President of Wofford College 1859-75, Vanderbilt University Professor and Dean 1875-85, and author of "Methodism in South Carolina." Dr. Shipp's last home, "Rose Hill" Plantation, is two miles NE. — Map (db m38030) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Wallace — 35-24 — Greene's Encampment / Sherman's March|
|[Front] Greene's Encampment During December 1780, Major General Nathanael Greene, commander of the Southern Army, brought a number of troops to a "camp of repose" near this spot. Here he hoped for abundant food and improvement of strength, discipline, and spirit of his men. Greene departed camp on January 28, 1781 to resume active campaigning against the British.
[Reverse] Sherman's March Units of the Union Army under Maj. Gen. Wm. T. Sherman crossed the Pee Dee . . . — Map (db m38044) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Wallace — 35-8 — John Lyde Wilson|
|Near this site stood Stony Hill, boyhood home of John Lyde Wilson, State Senator and Representative, Governor of South Carolina from 1822 to 1824, and author of The Code of Honor (1838), widely used by ante-bellum duellists. His parents, John Wilson and Mary Lide, are buried in nearby Wilson family cemetery. In 1957, a tornado destroyed the home. — Map (db m18198) HM|
|South Carolina (Marlboro County), Wallace — 35-15 — Pegues Place / Revolutionary Cartel|
| Pegues Place About 1760, French Huguenot immigrant Claudius Pegues settled in this area. His home, Pegues Place, is located one mile west of here. A founder and early officer of St. David's Episcopal Church in Cheraw, he was elected in 1768 as parish representative to the Commons House of Assembly and in 1785 was named a justice of the county. He died in 1790.
Revolutionary Cartel On May 3, 1781, a cartel for the exchange of prisoners of war taken during the American Revolution . . . — Map (db m38034) HM|