HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
McCormick County Markers
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — Andre Guillebeau
American Revolution Patriot Sacred To the Memory of 1764 Huguenot Immigrant Andre Guillebeau Who Died in 1814 Age 75 Years Born near Bordeaux, France. Was one of group under the leadership of the Reverend Jean Louis Gilbert, who, seeking religious freedom, settled at New Bordeaux, S.C. in the old Abbeville District from which McCormick Co. was formed. Fought as Private and Sergeant. Received permanent hip wound which caused him to limp until the day of his death. . . . — Map (db m11650) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — De La Howe Hall
Lethe Agricultural Seminary, founded 1797, was moved to this site in 1918 when it became a state school with the name changed to John De La Howe. A granite building with all facilities was built in sections from 1919 through 1925. Trustees serving were: J.M. Nickles, Rev. J.L. Tyler, J.U. Wardlaw, J.L. Sherard, W.I. Johns, Henry Buck, Albert Gilbert, S.C. Hodges, W.D. Morrah, Rev. W.H.K. Pendleton and advisory: Mrs. E.C. Von Tresckow, Mrs. P. Bradley Morrah and Mrs. A.F. McKissick. Rev. H.B. . . . — Map (db m9408) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — 33-5 — Guillebeau Home and Family Cemetery
[Front]: One half mile west is the pioneer home of Andre Guillebeau, a member of the original Huguenot group which settled New Bordeaux in 1764, having fled from the persecution in France under the leadership of the Reverend Jean Louis Gibert. The house is constructed of logs and, according to family tradition, was built sometime before 1800. [Reverse]: Among eighteen members of the Guillebeau family buried in the cemetery one half mile west are Andre Guillebeau, . . . — Map (db m9377) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — 33-12 — John De La Howe / John De La Howe School
John De La Howe Dr. John De La Howe, a French physician, came to South Carolina in 1764 and settled in the New Bordeaux community by the 1760s. His will left most of his estate, including Lethe Plantation, to the Agricultural Society of South Carolina to establish a home and school for underprivileged children. The Lethe Agricultural Seminary was founded here after De La Howe's death in 1797. Initially restricted John De La Howe School to 24 boys and girls from what was then . . . — Map (db m9406) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — John De La Howe Forest
John de la Howe Forest has been designated a Resigtered Natural Landmark This site possesses exceptional value as an illustration of the nation's natural heritage and contributes to a better understanding of man's environment. — Map (db m9409) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — John De La Howe School — Still Caring...Still Dreaming
The establishment of John de la Howe School, the second oldest institution in the Carolinas, is one of the first examples of individual philanthropy that is found in the history of child-caring institution in the United States. The purpose of Dr. de la Howe's gift was to help dependent and neglected children, Founded in 1797 at the passing of the Dr. John de la Howe, an emigre from either "the north of France, or Holland, or perhaps Flanders," the John de la Howe School still stands as a . . . — Map (db m20887) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — John De La Howe School Enterprise Market Program at "The Barn"
Established in 1987 through the cooperative efforts of John de la Howe School and Clemson University with support from Governor Carroll A. Campbell, Jr., and the South Carolina General Assembly to provide free enterprise experiences in a therapeutic setting to the young people of South Carolina. *************** Building Erected 1931, Work Projects Administration Renovated, 1992. Architect - Drakeford Architects General Contractor - Summerfield Associates Board of Trustees Mr. . . . — Map (db m20907) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — John De La Howe School Lethe Farm Trail
Lethe Farm was a colonial and early federal period plantation owned by Dr. John de la Howe, founder of John de la Howe School. The farm was operated from about 1770 until 1806. An archeological survey and limited test excavations were conducted at John de la Howe School, on Little River in McCormick County, South Carolina. Archeologists with the Diachronic Research Foundation, along with students and staff of John de la Howe School worked during the excavation. The project was made . . . — Map (db m9411) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — 33-13 — New Bordeaux (1764)
[Front]: The town of New Bordeaux, the last of seven French Huguenot colonies founded in colonial S.C. and the only one in the upcountry, was established 1 mi. E in 1764. After Protestants fleeing religious persecution in France petitioned the British crown for land to create a permanent settlement in S.C., they received a 28,000-acre grant in the newly-formed Hillsborough Township. [Reverse]: Almost 200 French Huguenots led by Rev. Jean Louis Gibert (1721-1773) landed . . . — Map (db m51286) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Bordeaux — New Bordeaux Worship Site
Site of the Place of Worship of the French Protestant Congregation of New Bordeaux Organized 1764 — Map (db m11641) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Clarks Hill — J. Strom Thurmond Dam
Constructed between 1946-1954, Thurmond Dam is the first hydropower project to be built on the Savannah River. Behind it lies one of the largest Corps of Engineer lakes east of the Mississippi. The Thurmond Dam powerhouse contains seven power units, each capable of generating 40,000 kilowatts. Its average annual energy output is 920-million kilowatt hours. Since its completion, Thurmond Dam has prevented millions of dollars in flood damage to down stream sites, and had produced . . . — Map (db m42118) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Clarks Hill — Purpose of the Dam
The devastating flood of 1888 was one of several along the Savannah River in the 1800s. Altogether, they prompted the decision to build the Clarks Hill Dam and Lake, renamed the J. Strom Thurmond Dam and Lake in 1987. Authorized by the Flood Control Act of 1944, and constructed between 1946 and 1954, this multipurpose project today controls flooding, improves navigation on the Savannah River, generates hydropower, provides recreation, and fish and wildlife management opportunities. 1. . . . — Map (db m42130) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Clarks Hill — Thurmond Dam and Lake / McCormick County
Thurmond Dam and Lake A Magnificent Recreation and Energy Resource J. Strom Thurmond Dam and Lake offers a variety of recreational activities. You may enjoy boating, swimming and fishing on Thurmond Lake, the largest U.S. Army Corps of Engineers man-made lake east of the Mississippi. In addition to the water-related activities, there are thirteen Corps campgrounds, six state parks, two county points and several marinas offering over 1,100 campsites. Also available are several . . . — Map (db m42127) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — 33-6 — Badwell / Badwell Cemetery
Badwell Three miles west is the site of "Badwell," home of James Louis Petigru (1789-1863), leader of opposition to secession in South Carolina, outstanding Charleston lawyer, and S.C. Attorney General. He studied at Willington Academy under Moses Waddel and at South Carolina College. The Petigru Law School at the University of South Carolina is named in his honor. Badwell Cemetery Located four miles west is Badwell Cemetery. Among the graves are those of Rev. Jean Louis Gibert . . . — Map (db m11456) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — 33-7 — Battle of Long Cane
About four miles southeast is the site of the American Revolutionary Battle of Long Cane. On December 12, 1780, Lieutenant Colonel Isaac Allen and a British force of 400-500 men defeated Colonel Elijah Clarke and 100 Americans, an advanced detachment of a Patriot force commanded by Colonel Benjamin Few. — Map (db m9418) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — 33-3 — Bethany Church
The first Bethany Meeting House was erected by 1809 on the old Edgefield-Abbeville Stagecoach Road midway between Hard Labor and Cuffey Town Creeks. Bethany Baptist Church was constituted in December 1809, with Amos Dubose as pastor. The present church is said to have been built in 1850 at the Shinburg Muster Grounds, about two miles south of the original site. — Map (db m9430) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — Dorn Mill — Production of Cotton Byproducts
To persons familiar with the history of McCormick, the Dorn Mill stands as a symbol of the influence of the Dorn family in the region. It rests on land previously owned by Gold Mine "Billy" Dorn and Cyrus McCormick, inventor of the reaper. Cyrus McCormick influenced the location of the railroad and in 1881 donated 40 acres of land for a town. By 1883, this town had a population of 200 people, and cotton gins and shipping were the major economic activities. In 1898, the McCormick's . . . — Map (db m11391) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — 33-9 — Dorn’s Mill / Dorn Gold Mine
Dorn's Mill Built ca. 1899, this steam-powered mill employed a milling process pioneered earlier by inventor Oliver Evans, which virtually eliminated manual labor. First known as the McCormick Enterprise Ginnery, the mill became the Dorn-Finley Co. in 1917, its purpose "to operate, conduct, and carry on an oil mill, cotton gin and grist mill." Dorn's Mill closed in the 1940s. Dorn Gold Mine Area resident William B. Dorn discovered gold here and developed this mine which produced . . . — Map (db m11396) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — Edmunds Family History / Samuel Calhoun Edmunds
Edmunds Family History 1710-1961 Burial Ground 1.3 Miles S.E. —› Officers: Will Tom Edmunds, Pres Joe F. Edmunds, Vice President Robert J. Edmunds, Sec & Treas. Mary Edmunds, Historian The first record is of John Edmunds, born 1710 Virginia. Will probated Amherst County Va. 1764. He was father of James born 1743 Albermarle County Va. Died 1826 Barren, Ky. Will probated there. He & his wife Sarah Lavender were parents of Alexander born 1763 in Va. He was the first to . . . — Map (db m41791) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — McCormick County / MACK
McCormick County: Gem of the Freshwater Coast McCormick County was named or Cyrus McCormick, a 19th century agricultural equipment inventor, who purchased Dorn's Gold Mine (Town of McCormick) after the Civil War. While it is one of the last counties to be created in South Carolina in the 20th century, its history goes back to the earliest European settlements in the backcountry. French Huguenots (Protestants) settled in the area called New Bordeaux and one of the few structures from this . . . — Map (db m11398) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — McCormick County Confederate Monument — 1861-1865
. . . — Map (db m14888) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — McCormick County Veterans Monument
In Honor and Memory of the Sons and Daughters of McCormick County who Served Our Country in Times of Peace and War. — Map (db m14900) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — McCormick Train Station
The National Register South Carolina Department of Archives and History McCormick Train Station of Historic Places — Map (db m54984) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — The Guillebeau House
The Guillebeau House was built in circa 1770 in the Huguenot settlement of New Bordeaux. It was relocated to its present site in 1983. — Map (db m41903) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), McCormick — Welcome to Baker Creek State Park
Baker Creek State Park is managed as a Regional Park property because this core constituency is from the local region. Located in the heart of Sumter National Forest near McCormick, South Carolina, on the shores of Strom Thurmond Lake, this 1,305-acre park is popular with campers, day-users and fisherman. The park is situated in a heavily wooded area with rolling hills very indicative of the Piedmont of South Carolina. The park was built in 1968 to provide recreation access to the 70,000 . . . — Map (db m41690) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Mt. Carmel — 33-10 — Calhoun Mill
Built ca. 1854 on a mill site in use since the 1770s, this large brick building on Little River was used for grinding corn, wheat, and other grains. A post office and various commercial enterprises operated near the mill during the 1800s. The mill yard was a popular place for political rallies and social gatherings well into the 20th century. — Map (db m18890) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Mt. Carmel — Capture of Fort Charlotte — July 12, 1775 — South Carolina Cradle of Democracy Project
Less than a mile from this point, close to the Georgia shoreline of Lake Thurmond, lays the remains of Fort Charlotte now 50 feet under water. Named after the wife of King George III, Fort Charlotte was a British fort built in 1766. It was located on the South Carolina side of the Savannah River about one and one-half miles below the mount of the Broad River and the settlement of Vienna, where the river was shallow and about 660 feet wide. Originally garrisoned by British troops, the . . . — Map (db m18773) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Mt. Carmel — 33-8 — Fort Boone
Driven from the area at the start of the Cherokee War, settlers from Long Canes returned in the fall of 1760 and, under the protection of a party of Chickasaw Indians, reclaimed the land by building Fort Boone near here. — Map (db m25200) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Mt. Carmel — 33-1 — Fort Charlotte
6.6 miles southwest are the ruins of Fort Charlotte, built of local stone, 1765-1767, to protect the French, British, and German settlements near Long Canes. Maj. James Mayson's seizure of it, defended by Capt. George Whitfield and Lieut. St. Pierre, July 12, 1775, in the name of the Council of Safety, was the first overt act of the Revolutionary War in South Carolina — Map (db m9185) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Mt. Carmel — Mt. Carmel Historical District — Village of Remembrance
Mount Carmel, located on the northwestern portion of McCormick County, takes visitors on a trip back in time. The Mount Carmel Historic District is a picturesque example of a late 19th century village. In the early 1880s Mount Carmel turned into a thriving village when the Savannah Valley Railroad passed through it. In February 1885, the town post office was established. Soon after, with the relocation of the Lodiment Reformed Presbyterian Church to town the population increased. An . . . — Map (db m11665) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Troy — 33-12 — Long Canes Massacre
Three miles west is the site of an attack by Cherokee Indians upon settlers of Long Canes in the Cherokee War of 1759-1761. There on February 1, 1760, about 150 settlers, refugeeing to Augusta, were overtaken by 100 Cherokee warriors. Twenty-three victims left on the scene of action are there buried in one grave. — Map (db m11640) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Willington — 33-11 — Cherry Hill / Noble Cemetery
Cherry Hill Three miles southwest is "Cherry Hill," site of the home of George McDuffie (1790-1851), orator of nullification, member of the U.S. House of Representatives and the U.S. Senate, Major General of the State Militia, and Governor of South Carolina. He studied at Willington Academy under Moses Waddel. "Cherry Hill" was his home for most of his adult life. Noble Cemetery Five miles southwest is the Noble Cemetery. Among the members of the Noble family buried there is . . . — Map (db m11461) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Willington — Site of Willington Academy — Established 1804 by Moses Waddel, D.D.
Men who influenced the destony of our county were educated here -- the Calhouns, Crawfords, Legare, McDuffie, Longstreet, Simkins, Martin, Covan, Gilmer, Carey, Walker, Collier, Noble, Bulters, Brooks, Grayson, Wardlaws, Cobb, Harper, Dawson, Hunter, Petigru, Morrow, Et. Al. Erected by McCormick Lions Club, 1962 — Map (db m11457) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Willington — Site of Willington Presbyterian Church
Organized by the Rev. Moses Waddel, 1809 Joined Synod of the Carolinas, 1813 Building Collapsed, July 2, 1939 Pastors Rev. Moses Waddel, D.D., 1809-1819, 1830-1836 Rev. R.B. Cater 1820-1826 Rev. Aaron Foster 1828 Rev. Isaac Waddel 1837-1838 Rev. W.H. Davis 1839-1862; 1867-1869 Rev. J.O. Lindsay 1863-1866; 1884-1889 Rev. T.H. Law 1870 Rev. L.K. Glasgow 1871 Rev. R.A. Fair 1872-1874 Rev. A.L. Miller 1875-1876 Rev. J.G. Law 1877 Rev. E.P. Davis 1878-1883 Rev. . . . — Map (db m11459) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Willington — Willington — A South Carolina Railroad Village
The community of Willington is significant as a reminder of the role of the railroad in community development in rural South Carolina at the close of the nineteenth century and beginning of the twentieth century. During this period Willington was a thriving village, but it began to decline in the years between the two World Wars. The remaining buildings at Willington represent this boom period for the railroad in upstate South Carolina. The core of Willington's historic district is . . . — Map (db m11458) HM
South Carolina (McCormick County), Willington — 33-2 — Willington Academy
Two miles southwest is the site of the famous classical academy which was established in 1804 by Rev. Moses Waddel, D.D., one of the greatest educators of his day. Here from 1804-1819 he taught hundreds of ambitious boys of great potentiality who became some of the South's most notable men. Their record is his greatest monument. — Map (db m9373) HM
36 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 176 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.