|Georgia (McDuffie County), Dearing — 094-1 — Noted Indian Trail|
|The Upper Trading Path, one of the historic Indian routes of the Southeast, passed this spot, leading from present Augusta to tribes as far west as the Mississippi River. By various connections the trail reached the Cherokees of North Georgia; the Upper Creeks of Western Georgia and Central Alabama, and the Chickasaws and Choctaws of Mississippi.
Main stem of the trail, the Oakfuskee Path, ran past Warrenton, Eatonton, Griffin and Greenville to Oakfuskee Town, chief early center of the . . . — Map (db m16002) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 094-10 — Blind Willie McTell — Musician|
|Willie Samuel McTear (1901-1959) was born between Big and Little Briar Creeks in the Happy Valley community. In 1911, he and his mother moved to Statesboro, where he began his life of traveling and performing. Although blind from infancy, Willie developed a lifelong independence based on his acute sense of hearing, remarkable memory and versatile musical genius.
Willie performed and recorded under many names but favored "Blind Willie" McTell. Best remembered for his blues, McTell, had a . . . — Map (db m61012) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 97-2 — Hickory Hill|
|Populist presidential candidate and Georgia political leader Thomas E. Watson purchased this house from Captain James Wilson in 1900. Watson extensively renovated both the house and grounds, installing telephones and even constructing a power plant to provide the house with lighting and water for the indoor plumbing. In 1910 Watson constructed a printing plant, known as the Jeffersonian, at Hickory Hill. The plant employed thirty workers and produced his periodicals and books. After the death . . . — Map (db m42706) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 94-1 — Home of Thomas E. Watson — (1856–1922)|
|After passing the state Bar in 1876, native Thomas E. Watson returned to Thomson and lived in this house with his family from 1881 to 1900. In his first floor office Watson began his law and writing career and entered politics. He served in the Georgia House (1882), U.S. Congress (1890–92), and the U.S. Senate (1920–22). He was nominated for Vice President on the Populist Party ticket with William Jennings Bryan in 1896. Here Watson authored the two-volume Story of France and a . . . — Map (db m9475) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 094-2 — McDuffie County|
|McDuffie County was created by Act of Oct. 18, 1870 from Columbia and Warren Counties. It was named for George McDuffie (1788-1851). Born in Columbia (now Warren County, Ga.), he became a political leader in S.C. He was a Maj. Gen. of Militia, Congressman, Governor and Senator. A political sponsor of Calhoun, he was a notable orator. First Officers of McDuffie County, commissioned Feb. 11, 1871, were: A.B. Thrasher, Ord.; J.T. Stovall, Sheriff; R.H. Pearce, Clk. Sup. Ct.; J.D. Montgomery, Tax . . . — Map (db m42688) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — Rear Admiral Richard Ellington Hawes — 1894 – 1968|
|Rear Admiral Richard E. Hawes has long been revered as a distinguished native son of Thomson-McDuffie County, Georgia. Admiral Hawes is remembered for his exceptionally heroic and meritorious service while performing his duty in the United States Navy during the period June 1917 to December 1952. His outstanding leadership and loyal devotion to the combined concepts of naval and submarine operations contributed immeasurably to the defense of his nation over a span of 35 tumultuous years. He was . . . — Map (db m61010) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 094-3 — Sen. Thomas E. Watson — “Sage of Hickory Hill”|
|Born near Thomson, Sept. 5, 1856, Thomas Edward Watson, gifted writer, eloquent speaker and longtime political leader of Georgia, spent most of his life in this section. His home, “Hickory Hill,” bought and remodeled extensively by Sen. Watson, has a long tradition of hospitality and gracious living. Sen. Watson, descended from Quaker families that settled near here in 1768, attended Mercer University, taught school, practiced law in Screven County and returned to Thomson as a young . . . — Map (db m42689) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 094-7 — The Birthplace of George McDuffie|
|From these humble and obscure Georgia pinelands, assisted by the plantation-owning South Carolina Calhouns, George McDuffie rose to become Congressman, Senator, and Governor of South Carolina.
McDuffie's political prominence involved him in a renowned political dispute when his loyalty to John C. Calhoun brought on a series of duels with Col. William Cumming of Augusta who supported William H. Crawford of Georgia, Calhoun’s rival for the Presidency.
“This feud has become a sort . . . — Map (db m16065) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 094-9 — The Rock House|
|This 18th Century stone dwelling is the only surviving house associated with the Colonial Wrightsboro Settlement (1768). Its builder, Thomas Ansley, used weathered granite, quarried in its natural form from the nearby geographical fall line, as building material. The granite, along with pine timbers and cypress shingles, gave the house a distinctive Ga. Character.
The architectural style of the Rock House is similar to stone houses in the Delaware Valley of New Jersey from which Ansley . . . — Map (db m9809) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — Thomas Edward Watson — 1856 - 1922|
|To Honor Thomas Edward Watson 1856-1922 Author, Editor, Congressman, U.S. Senator
Father of Rural Free Delivery
This Marker was placed in 1949 by Camp No. 1401
Woodmen of the World — Map (db m58543) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — Usry House|
|Built by William Usry about 1795 as the seat of his extensive cotton plantations, Usry House early became the center of ante-bellum social life in this region.
In its parlor, the Goodrich-Usry Railroad was conceived, and Lafayette reputedly hosted. Architecturally, it is along neo-classical lines; and its suspended balcony is one of the largest in the South.
The builder of Usry House was a great-grandson of Sir Robert Usry, of England, founder of the family in America. Its owner is . . . — Map (db m55097) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — William Bartram Trail — Traced 1773-1777 — Deep South Region|
|1773 the Treaty of Augusta
Bartram visited Wrightsborough
He described the view of high hills
and rich vales. He took on supplies. — Map (db m9810) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 094-5 — Wrightsboro|
|On this site in 1754, Edmund Grey, a pretending Quaker, founded the town of Brandon, named for one of its leaders. In Dec. 1768, Joseph Mattock and Jonathan Sell, Quakers, obtained a grant of 40,000 acres from the Royal Governor, Sir James Wright, revived the town and renamed it Wrightsboro, in his honor. By 1775 over 60 families had settled in the town and 200 in the township -- all Quaker. During the Revolutionary War the fort here, Fort Wrightsboro, was commanded by Captain Thomas White. . . . — Map (db m42657) HM|
|Georgia (McDuffie County), Thomson — 094-6 — Wrightsboro Methodist Church|
|The Wrightsboro Methodist Church of the Thomson Circuit, on the site of the now dead town of Wrightsboro, has been an active organization for over 125 years. In its historic churchyard are buried several veterans of the Revolutionary War and some who died at Gettysburg, Shiloh and Fredericksburg in the War Between the States. The founders of some of the oldest and most prominent Georgia families are buried here. Among them are Theodosius Erwin Massengale, grandfather of St. Elmo Massengale, and . . . — Map (db m42658) HM|