|Texas (Medina County), D'hanis — 12357 — J.M. Koch's Hotel|
|J.M. and Mary Ann Koch owned and operated a hotel in D'Hanis beginning in 1898. They purchased the land on this site in July 1902, and built this hotel in 1906. Reportedly constructed by Chinese railroad laborers, it is built of early bricks from the D'Hanis brick plant. In December 1914 the Koch family sold the building, which continued as a hotel until 1920. The Farmers Exchange of D'Hanis purchased it that year for use as a feed store, adding a cotton scale to the east side of the structure. . . . — Map (db m64488) HM|
|Texas (Medina County), Hondo — 332 — Battle of the Arroyo Hondo|
|In 1842 the Mexican Army launched three invasions into Texas to reclaim territory lost during the Texas Revolution. Col. Rafael Vasquez's Army briefly occupied San Antonio in March, and in July Texans fought with Col. Antonio Canales' forces near San Patricio.
When Gen. Adrian Woll's Mexican forces advanced through South Texas and captured San Antonio on September 11, Texan volunteers gathered for battle. More than 200 men under the command of Matthew Caldwell assembled at Salado Creek six . . . — Map (db m64489) HM|
|Texas (Medina County), Hondo — Hondo|
|Spanish explorers passed this way several times in the centuries preceding Anglo settlement of the area. The original village that would become Hondo was situated on "El Arroyo Hondo," named by the Spanish.
Permanent settlers to the area began arriving with Henri Castro in the 1840s. The Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio (GH & SA) railroad began to consider the busy village on Hondo Creek for the location of a depot in the late 19th Century. They ultimately chose 188 acres five miles . . . — Map (db m5779) HM|
|Texas (Medina County), Hondo — Medina County Courthouse|
|Medina County was organized in 1848 with Castroville as the county seat. In 1892, as the result of an election, the seat of county administration was relocated to Hondo City (now Hondo). The Commissioners Court immediately ordered a courthouse to be built at the new county seat.
During the administration of County Judge B. Brucks, a building contract was let to the construction firm of Martin, Byrne and Johnson. Limestone with a slightly yellowish cast was secured about six miles north of . . . — Map (db m5777) HM|
|Texas (Medina County), Hondo — Stephen F. Austin Memorial Oak Tree|
|This tree planted on April 15, 2004 was grown from an acorn harvested from the live oak tree located on the site of Stephen F. Austin's death near present-day West Columbia, Texas. Under that large tree, a Texas Historical Monument marks the place where Austin died on December 27, 1836. It was through Austin's tireless efforts and dedication that the Republic of Texas was created. Austin was called "the Father of Texas" by General Sam Houston and a tree is planted in his memory in every county in Texas. — Map (db m5778) HM|
|Texas (Medina County), Quihi — 5537 — Town of Quihi|
|Surveyed in October, 1844
Distinguished pioneer and colonizer
Established in March, 1845 by ten
families in charge of Louis Huth,
agent for Castro
Many settlers were killed by Indians
before 1860 — Map (db m64185) HM|