|California (Merced County), Gustine — Gustine Museum — Merced County Courthouse/Jail|
|This Mission Revival Style building, the only surviving one of four, constructed in 1911 in Gustine as a justice court and served as Township No. 6's jail from 1911 to 1980. Leased by the Gustine Historical Society in 1985 and refurbished with the aid of many donations and volunteers it was reopened in 1990 as the Gustine Museum. August 11, 1995 it was designated to be a California Point of Historical Interest.
Truth, Liberty, and Toleration
April 14, 1996
Grand . . . — Map (db m26272) HM|
|California (Merced County), Gustine/Santa Nella — First Marine Division – FMF|
To those men of the
First Marine Division – FMF
Who gave their lives
in the service of
World War II, Korea, Vietnam
Southwest Asia — Map (db m38742) HM|
|California (Merced County), Gustine/Santa Nella — San Joaquin Valley National Cemetery|
|This cemetery is dedicated to the memory of all the patriotic men and women who answered their country’s call to service. Their inspiring contribution will help preserve in the hearts and lives of all Americans the spirit of patriotism, the love of country, and the willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.
President of the United States
Edward J. Derwinski
Secretary of Veterans Affairs
Allen B. Clark
Director . . . — Map (db m38731) HM|
|California (Merced County), Gustine/Santa Nella — United States Submariners Memorial|
|These trees are dedicated to the memory
of those United States Submariners who made the
ultimate sacrifice, so that we might live in freedom. — Map (db m38981) HM|
|California (Merced County), Hilmar — Irwin City|
|W.A. Irwin came from Santa Monica, California, where as a developer, he owned thousands of acres and established colony tracts. He laid out Irwin City, which was surveyed by George Manuel, and had it recorded on May 8, 1907. The colony was less than a mile south of present day Hilmar. Irwin himself promoted the area in brochures claiming the climate was the best in the world. No hard winters, no snow storms, no cyclones, only eternal summer.
Irwin City had a hotel, bakery, jeweler and . . . — Map (db m62790) HM|
|California (Merced County), Le Grand — The Old Millerton Road Crossed Here|
|From Stockton to Los Angeles via Millerton where the Friant Dam now is, was the first, and for many years the main road used by goldseekers and settlers. The route followed the edge of the hills to be near the mines and to provide a firm roadbed in wet weather and narrow river crossings.
Much of the old road was abandoned when the advent of railroads changed the route of travel but its east line between Phillip's Old Toll Ferry on the Merced and Newton's, on the Chowchilla, as traveled in . . . — Map (db m61343) HM|
|California (Merced County), Los Banos — 1843 - Rancho de San Luis Gonzaga - 1931|
|This rancho was a grant from the Mexican goverment (sic) to Jose, Maria, Mejia and Juan Perez Pacheco made November 4, 1843 and signed by Manuel Micheltorena, Mexican governor of the Californias.
The grant contained eleven square leagues of land and in 1852 when the Pacheco family filed claim with the United States for title it was located in Mariposa County.
A patent was issued to the heirs of the Pacheco’s May 16, 1871 and was signed by U.S. Grant, President of the United . . . — Map (db m63003) HM|
|California (Merced County), Los Banos — 548 — Canal Farm Inn|
|This original San Joaquin Valley Ranch headquarters of California pioneer and cattle baron Henry Miller (1827-1916), was established in 1873. His farsighted planning, development in the 1870’s of a vast gravity irrigation system, and the founding of Los Banos (1889) provided the basis for the present stability and wealth of this area. — Map (db m46958) HM|
|California (Merced County), Los Banos — Guglielmo Marconi — 1874 - 1937|
Who giving voice to silence
benefitted the world
irradiating a new glorious
light upon Italy
I Figli D'Italia
Devoted to their great country
of adoption but unforgetful
of their mother country,
in perpetual memory of their
admiration and great love
Dedicated Dec. 19, 1937
Done by G. B. Ghilotti, Modesto Cal.
— Map (db m41187) HM|
|California (Merced County), Los Banos — Henry Miller — July 21, 1827 - October 14, 1916|
| There is one description of Henry Miller, California's cattle king, that sums up his contributions to this community: Henry Miller - Founding Father of Los Banos.
Born 1827 in Brackenheim, Kingdom of Wurtemberg, Germany, Miller left the family farm at age 14 to make his way in the world. He arrived in New York City in 1847, just as California's Gold Rush was getting underway. Lured by the promise of treasure, Miller joined a myriad of others heading West, arriving in San Francisco in 1850 . . . — Map (db m41164) HM|
|California (Merced County), Los Banos — 550 — Los Banos|
|Los Baños (The Baths) del Padre Arroyo was a favorite bathing place for padres from San Juan Bautista Mission during their travels to San Joaquin Valley. Visited as early as 1805 by Spanish explorers, its name was changed to Los Banos Creek by later American emigrants. The town of Los Banos was established at its present site in 1889, after the location of the post office of Los Banos near the creek in 1974. — Map (db m46959) HM|
|California (Merced County), Los Banos — The Old Adobe of Rancho San Luis Gonzaga|
|At a watering hole on the east side of Pacheco Pass, Juan Pacheco built this adobe for his rancho in the early 1840’s. The gun ports in the walls are visible reminders of the dangers from Yokuts Indians, marauding bands of ex-Mission Indians, and bandits emerging from the San Joaquin Valley. This was the frontier of Mexican California.
Paula Fatjo (fah-tcho),descendent of the Pachecos and the Malarins and heir to Rancho San Luis Gonzaga, restored the adobe as her home . . . — Map (db m63503) HM|
|California (Merced County), Merced — 934 — Merced Assembly Center|
|This was one of 15 temporary detention camps established during World War II to incarcerate persons of Japanese ancestry, a majority of whom were American citizens, without specific charges or trial. From May to September 1942, 4669 residents of Northern California were detained until permanent relocation camps were built. May the injustices and humiliation suffered here as a result of hysteria, racism and economic exploitation never recur. — Map (db m46957) HM|
|California (Merced County), Santa Nella — 829 — Pacheco Pass|
|On June 18, 1805, Lieutenant Gabriel Moraga, on his first exploratory journey into the San Joaquin Valley traversed this pass and recorded it.
Since then it has been trail, toll road, stagecoach road, and freeway -- the principal route between the coastal areas to the west and the great valley and mountains to the east.
Calfornia Registered Historical Landmark No. 829
Plaque placed by the State Department of Parks and Recreation in cooperation with the Merced County Historical Advisory . . . — Map (db m27261) HM|
|California (Merced County), Snelling — First Court House — in Merced County|
|Erected 1857 This monument commemorates the Seventy-fifth anniversary of the organization of Merced County and is dedicated to the memory our pioneers by Yosemite Parlor No. 24, N.S.G.W. Merced May 20, 1930 — Map (db m7325) HM|
|California (Merced County), Snelling — Merced Falls|
|First known as California Ranche Crossing, then as Belt’s Ferry. The site of a large Indian Rancheria. The Post Office at Merced Falls opened Sept. 4. 1856. The flour and woolen mills were built in 1854 and 1867. The town was destroyed by fire in August 1895. Yosemite Lumber Co. had a large mill here from 1912 until 1943. — Map (db m46956) HM|