Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mercer County New Jersey – Historical Markers

270 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 20
Bear Tavern Road Marker image, Click for more information
By Deb Hartshorn, July 18, 2010
Bear Tavern Road Marker
New Jersey (Mercer County), Ewing — Bear Tavern Road
"All our hopes were blasted by that unhappy affair at Trenton" — Lord George Germain, British Colonel Secretary Bear Tavern Road Historic route of Continental troops to Trenton where Washington achieved his famous . . . — Map (db m33228) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Ewing Township — An Historic Crossroad
Near this site, in the early morning hours of December 26, 1776, General George Washington divided his Continental Army of 2,400 men for a two-pronged, surprise attack on the Hessian garrison in Trenton. One column under the command of General . . . — Map (db m9877) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Ewing Township — Church Cemeteryat Ewing Presbyterian Church
Thirty-five veterans of the Revolution lie buried here in this 1708 cemetery of the Ewing Presbyterian Church. — Map (db m9881) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Ewing Township — Temple-Ryan Farmhouse
Temple-Ryan Farmhouse c. 1750 Has Been Placed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places By the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection May 6, 1971 And on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States . . . — Map (db m36491) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Square — Hamilton Square Honor RollNew Jersey
Erected in grateful memory and honor to the men and women of this community who served their country faithfully in World War II and with special tribute to the following who in addition gave their lives Raymond E. Warner 32067335 . . . — Map (db m35990) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Square — World War I MonumentHonor Roll
In honor of the citizens of this vicinity who served our country in the great World War of 1914-1918 —————————— H. Dallas Fogg • Foster H. Van Ness • Joseph R. Williams • William P. . . . — Map (db m35991) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — Isaac Pearson HouseBuilt 1773
Elected Nottingham Tax Collector in 1763, Isaac Pearson later served as a justice of the peace, freeholder, township clerk and delegate to the NJ Provincial Congress. Two days later after the Battle of Trenton, in 1776, Isaac Pearson was . . . — Map (db m36478) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — Isaac Watson House
Isaac Watson House Built in 1708 Restored and Maintained by The State Society of The Daughters of The American Revolution of New Jersey Tercentenary year 1964 — Map (db m36486) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — 3 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4251) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — 4 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4252) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — 5 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 (Adjacent Marker, below original on obelisk): In Memory of all the deceased members of Hamilton Township Post 3525 Veterans of Foreign Wars — Map (db m4253) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — 6 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4256) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — 7 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4258) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — 8 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4260) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hamilton Township — Watson House
Isaac Watson built this early colonial dwelling in 1708. The surrounding area is the famous Indian site, The Abbot Farm. — Map (db m36484) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hightstown — East Windsor Township Civil War Monument
To the memory of the heroic volunteers of East Windsor Township who gave their lives as a sacrifice for their country and humanity in the suppression of the Great Rebellion of 1861-65. — Map (db m5431) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hightstown — Hightstown
Named for John and Mary Hight, who purchased 3,000 acres here in 1721. Their log house and mill once stood in this area. — Map (db m13170) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hightstown — Hightstown World War II Memorial
We are grateful to these Hightstown area men who gave their lives in the service of their country John F. Campbell • Robert W. Cutinelle • George F. Dennis • Franklin Ely • Martin Greenberg • William Hoffman • George Huber • Edward Hutchinson • . . . — Map (db m88555) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hopewell — Henry Phillips House
Henry Phillips was a third generation Phillips family member in Pleasant Valley; his grandfather arrived in 1737. Ca, 1805, Henry constructed the stone section of the house on the land he inherited from his father. Ca, 1830, he added the large frame . . . — Map (db m94714) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hopewell — Hopewell Academy
Founded here in Baptist Parsonage, 1756. Alumni James Manning and Hezekiah Smith developed Brown University. — Map (db m31797) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hopewell — Hopewell Call To Duty
Erected by Hopewell Post, American Legion, in honor of those of Hopewell and vicinity who responded to the Nation's call to duty. — Map (db m37207) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hopewell — Howell Living History FarmWomen’s Heritage Trail — Women in Farm Live
Howell Living History Farm depicts family farm life during the first years of the 20th Century, when both crops and livestock, were raised from livelihood. The farmhouse on the property, while dating back to the early 1800’s, is used to illustrate . . . — Map (db m94717) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hopewell — Joab Houghton
Sunday, April 23, 1775, news of the Battle of Lexington reached Hopewell. While the people were worshiping in the First Baptist Church, at the close, Joab Houghton, standing on this block, inspired the men with love of liberty and desire for . . . — Map (db m31800) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hopewell — John HartSigner of The Declaration Of Independence
Farmstead site of the signer, who lived here 1742-1779. Without formal education, consulted by many, respected by all, "Honest John Hart" gave his property and his life for the cause of liberty. Farmer, miller, judge, speaker of the first New . . . — Map (db m31798) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Hopewell Township — Mercer Airport
Dedicated to the memory of General High Mercer a distinguished officer in the Continental Army who died from wounds received in the Battle of Princeton, January 3, 1777. From him, Mercer County, created in 1838, received its name. . . . — Map (db m10623) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Lawrence Township — First Town Hall1931 – 1944
Joseph Scudder House c. 1779 — Map (db m9919) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Lawrence Township — John Moore’s Tavern1804 – 1817
Map (db m9920) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Lawrence Township — Lawrence House, 1840
Home of the wheelwright and site of the wheelwright shop. Harvey Brearley’s store 1837 — Map (db m9918) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Lawrence Township — Maidenhead Church
Organized during 1698, this Presbyterian congregation was among the earliest in America. Part of this church was built in 1764. — Map (db m9885) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Lawrence Township — Revolutionary War Site - Shabakunk Creek
Under the command of Colonel Edward Hand a successful delaying action, fought at the Shabakunk Creek, prevented British forces fron reaching Trenton before nightfall where the Second Battle of Trenton took place at the Assunpink Creek January 2, . . . — Map (db m9888) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Lawrence Township — 9 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4262) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Lawrenceville — Revolutionary War Site
Five Mile Run, location of skirmish January 1, 1777. Position of American advance party January 2, 1777. — Map (db m7268) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Mount Rose — The Historic Village of Mount Rose
Originally known as Stout's Corner, Mount Rose emerged as a village in the 1820s. By 1880 it boasted a school, post office, sawmill and several shops. It was perhaps best known as a center of applejack whiskey production. Two distilleries operated . . . — Map (db m18264) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Pennington — British Horses
British Troops exercised their horses over this wall December 1776 Marked by Penelope Hart Chapter, D.A.R. 1939 — Map (db m64109) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Pennington — Pennington
Pennington Settled in 1708 First known as Queenstown Incorporated in 1890 as the Borough of Pennington — Map (db m64110) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — “The Washington-Rochambeau Historic Route”
On this site, the allied American and French troops of Generals Washington and Le Comte de Rochambeau encamped August 29 to September 1, 1781 enroute to their Victory at Yorktown American independence was assured there in Virginia by the defeat . . . — Map (db m64117) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — 250th Anniversary of Princeton University
In the nation’s service. In the service of all nations. On the occasion of its 250th anniversary Princeton University here records its gratitude to its alumni for their devotion to the University and its mission of education, scholarship and . . . — Map (db m44846) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — 250th Anniversary of Princeton University
On the occasion of the 250th anniversary of Princeton University, the area communities express appreciation to the University for its contribution to their cultural, intellectual and economic vitality. Chamber of Commerce of the Princeton Area . . . — Map (db m44851) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Aaron Burr
. . . — Map (db m32652) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Albert Einstein1879 - 1955
E = mc²‎ (1905) Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited, whereas imagination embraces the entire world. (1929) Born in Ulm Germany on March 14, 1879, Albert Einstein became a resident of Princeton in 1933, . . . — Map (db m64135) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Bainbridge House
1766 Bainbridge House 158 Nassau Street — Map (db m62297) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Battle of Princeton
< No Further Inscription > — Map (db m64121) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Betsey StocktonWomen’s Heritage Trail — Witherspoon Street Presbyterian Church
Betsey Stockton (1798-1865) began life as a slave for the prominent Stockton family in Princeton. When she gained her freedom at the age of 20, she became a missionary, traveling to Hawaii (Sandwich Islands), Canada and Philadelphia, teaching school . . . — Map (db m94762) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Campsite of The Army of Louis XVI, King of France
Commanded by General de Rochambeau during their march to victory at Yorktown August 31, 1781 — Map (db m5382) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Colonel John Haslet
A Patriot of considerable distinction, Colonel John Haslet was the Commander of Delaware's first Continental Regiment. A native of County Londonderry, Ireland, he emigrated to America in 1757. Haslet was a graduate of the University of Glasgow, and . . . — Map (db m5380) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — English Boxwood Plants
These English Boxwood plants were grown from George Washington’s hedges planted November 1798 on his Mount Vernon estate. — Map (db m64119) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — French Markets
The Garden Club of Princeton a founding member of the Garden Club of America established the French Markets during World War I for French War Relief and later for The Club’s Civic Projects These markets have been held in the Spring and Autumn for . . . — Map (db m10620) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — John Witherspoon1723 - 1794
Preacher “One of the most useful qualifications of a good minister is that he have a lively sense of religion upon his own heart.”             John Witherspoon Born in Gifford, Scotland, in 1723, Witherspoon was educated at the . . . — Map (db m44842) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Joseph Henry House
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m44814) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Joseph Hewes
Born here, 1730, he later moved to North Carolina. He signed the Declaration of Independence for that state in 1776. — Map (db m64113) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — M. Hartley Dodge, Jr.
In memory of M. Hartley Dodge, Jr. Class of 1930 Killed in France August 29, 1930 His sun is gone down while it was yet day. — Map (db m64136) WM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — March of the Mill Children100th Anniversary
Princeton, New Jersey July 1903 – July 2003 Mary Harris “Mother” Joneswas a crusader for workers’ rights. She led several hundred children who worked in the textile mills on a march from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to President . . . — Map (db m44850) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Marines in the Revolution
Dedicated to the Continental Marines Who Fought with General Washington's Troops During the Battle of Princeton January 3, 1777 — Map (db m5430) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Maybury Hill
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior Circa 1725 — Map (db m64133) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Nassau Hall
This building, erected in 1756 by the College of New Jersey and named Nassau Hall in honor of King William III, was seized by British forces for military purposes in 1776, and retaken by the American Army January 3, 1777. Here met from June 30, . . . — Map (db m44832) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Nassau Inn – 1756 - 1937
The original “Nassau Inn” stood on this site for nearly 200 years. Many of America’s early statesmen stopped overnight in this half-way house on the stage coach journey between New York and Philadelphia. At times as many as thirty . . . — Map (db m64118) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Nathaniel Fitz Randolph
Near this spot lie the remains of Nathaniel Fitz Randolph, the generous giver of the land upon which the original buildings of this University were erected. In Agro Jacet Nostro Immo Svo — Map (db m62343) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — New Jersey Patriots
In memory of those New Jersey Patriots who served on land and sea during the American Revolution, 1775 - 1783 And to Captain Daniel Neil who gave his life in the Battle of Princeton, January 3, 1777 while commanding the East . . . — Map (db m5383) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Olden House
At Washington's request, the Olden family cared for British wounded in this house after the Battle of Princeton. — Map (db m94760) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Paul RobesonIn Recognition Of
World Renown Athlete, Actor, Singer, Scholar — Map (db m46165) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Princeton Battle Monument
Here memory lingers to recall the guiding mind whose daring plan outflanked the foe and turned dismay to hope when Washington, with swift resolve, marched through the night to fight at dawn and venture all in one victorious battle for our freedom. . . . — Map (db m5379) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Princeton Speech
I could not but think that if the great and noble men whom this institution necessarily recalls, the founders of our country, were here today, as, thanks be to God, they may be invisibly to us, what joy would fill their hearts as they saw the . . . — Map (db m44847) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Princeton University
Princeton University 1726       1746       11796 The Log College Opened 1726 at Neshaminy, was discontinued in 1746, when members of the Synods of New York and Philadelphia and supporters of the Log College united in the organization of The College . . . — Map (db m44834) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Princeton War Memorial
Hold dear our sons and daughters who gave their lives in the World War for Freedom 1914 — 1918 — Map (db m5399) WM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Princeton WW2 Memorial
A Grateful Class Remembers the Men of 1944 who gave their Lives in World War II Ernest Robinson Ackerman Army Air Corps, Budapest April 3, 1944 John Crosby Butler, Jr. Marine Air Service, Rota Island November 13, 1944 Francois Louis Chapman . . . — Map (db m64134) WM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Reunion Hall
From 1871 to 1965 Reunion Hall stood between West College and Stanhope. Its name commemorated the reunion of the new and old schools of the Presbyterian Church. The stars marked the rooms of students who gave their lives in military service during . . . — Map (db m44848) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Rev. John Witherspoon
. . . — Map (db m32654) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Richard Stockton
A signer of the Declaration of Independence is buried in these grounds 1730 – 1781 --------------- Erected by The New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution 1913 — Map (db m44844) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Stony Brook Meeting House
The area around the meeting house and along the Stony Brook river was originally the “Stony Brook Village,” officially part of the town of West Windsor in Middlesex County. A majority of the original colonists that came to settle in . . . — Map (db m62289) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The Princeton Bell(One of the very few relics left of the famous war vessel)
This bell was especially cast for the U.S.S. Princeton, which was commanded by our late fellow-townsman, the illustrious Captain Robert F. Stockton, under whose patronage “The Princeton” was built. On February 28th, 1844, she was taken . . . — Map (db m10621) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The Canal Dug By Irishmen
The Delaware and Raritan Canal, often referred to as "The Big Ditch" was constructed between the years 1831 - 1834 at a cost of almost $3,000,000 and the lives of many Irish immigrant laborers. The hand-dug D & R Canal was 66 miles long. The canal . . . — Map (db m36956) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The Colonial Revival Garden
Helen Hamilton Shields married Richard the Signer’s great-great-grandson Bayard Stockton in 1894. Intensely proud of the Stockton family’s history, she wished to “restore” the house and gardens to what she perceived as their former . . . — Map (db m10478) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The First Presbyterian Church of Princeton
. . . — Map (db m44819) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The Front Garden
By the time the Commodore began to improve Morven in the 1850s, a picturesque, curvilinear landscape style was the mode. There was an attempt to make plantings appear “natural” and a varied terrain rather than a flat surface was . . . — Map (db m10481) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The Horse Chestnut Walk
A path following the original alignment of the road and continuing the line of Nassau Street remained an entrance to Morven until the property was subdivided in 1891. For pedestrians it was the most direct route from downtown Princeton. . . . — Map (db m10484) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The House Front
Richard Stockton, the son of the Signer, known as the Duke, made many changes around 1790 to 1800. He rebuilt the central section of the house and covered the building’s brickwork with a white lime wash. In the 18th and early 19th century, there . . . — Map (db m10485) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The King’s Highway
Originally, the road ran directly in front of the house, on a line that formed a continuation of the present-day Nassau Street. It more or less followed the route of a Native American trail between the Raritan and Delaware Rivers. In colonial times . . . — Map (db m10486) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The President’s House
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States U.S. . . . — Map (db m44813) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The Princeton Battle Monument
This monument, which commemorates the January 3, 1777 Battle of Princeton, depicts Liberty inspiring General Washington as he leads his troops into battle, and the death of General Hugh Mercer. The seals of the United States and the original . . . — Map (db m62293) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The Wash House
The lower right-hand of this building is an ice house, which probably dates to the 18th century. Ice was harvested from the pond on the Morven property. In the mid-19th century, Commodore Robert F. Stockton enlarged the structure for use as a wash . . . — Map (db m10487) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — The West Wing
The wing housing the kitchen and service quarters is the oldest part of the house, built by Richard Stockton, Signer of the Declaration of Independence, and his wife, Annis, in the mid-18th century. It was raised in height in the mid-19th century. . . . — Map (db m10488) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Twentieth-Century Changes
After Bayard Stockton died in 1928, Robert Wood Johnson, head of Johnson & Johnson, rented Morven. He used it as a comfortable suburban retreat, keeping horses in the stable and adding recreational facilities. In 1939, he had plans drawn up for . . . — Map (db m62295) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — W 3 R
Washington – Rochambeau Revolutionary Route National Historic Trail www.w3r-us.org — Map (db m62296) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Walter Cope, FAIA & John Stewardson, FAIA
Walter Cope, FAIA Oct. 1, 1860   Oct. 31, 1902 John Stewardson, FAIA Mar. 21, 1856   Jan. 6, 1896 --------------- Architects of Blair Hall, Little Hall and the University Gymnasium. Masters in their Art and an Uplifting Influence in the development . . . — Map (db m62344) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Washington’s Crossing
< No Further Inscription > — Map (db m64123) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m62287) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Washington’s Spring
General George Washington and his soldiers paused to drink water from a nearby spring after the Battle of Princeton on January 3rd 1777. NJ Society Sons of the Revolution August 2002 — Map (db m64120) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton — Welcome to the Institute Lands
          The Institute Lands are a cherished 589-acre tract of woods and farmlands known for their natural beauty and historical significance. These graceful woods and fields form a key link in a network of preserved open space between the Stony . . . — Map (db m64234) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — Burial Site of those who fell in the Battle of Princeton
Near here lie buried the American and British officers and soldiers who fell in the Battle of Princeton January 3rd, 1777 Here freedom stood by slaughtered friend and foe, and ere the wrath paled or that sunset died, looked through the . . . — Map (db m10616) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — Colonnade and Gravesite
This colonnade was originally part of Mathew Newkirk’s home in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Later called St. George’s Hall. The house was designed by Thomas U. Walter, who later designed the dome on the U.S. Capitol Building in Washington, D. C. In . . . — Map (db m10153) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — From Trenton to Princeton
Following the Christmas night crossing of the Delaware River and the First Battle of Trenton on December 26, 1776, George Washington’s army re-crossed the river back into Pennsylvania. The British and German troops reacted to their defeat at Trenton . . . — Map (db m10178) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — General Hugh Mercer
To the memory of General Hugh Mercer, the revered martyr of American Independence. Born in Scotland about 1720. Educated as a physician. Emigrated to America 1747. Was appointed by Congress June 5, 1776, a brigadier general in the American Army. . . . — Map (db m10081) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — Historic Portico Preservation and Rebuilding
The preservation and rebuilding here of this historic portico were due to the leadership of the architects of New Jersey in commemoration of the centennial year of the American Institute of Architecture in 1937. Thomas Ustick Walter (1804-88) was . . . — Map (db m10619) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — 10 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4263) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — 11 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4264) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — 12 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4265) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — Site of Moulder’s Battery
At the height of the January 3, 1777 Battle of Princeton, British forces under the command of Lieutenant Colonel Charles Mawhood, attacked aggressively, forcing the American brigades to fall back. The Americans rallied around a small artillery . . . — Map (db m10168) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — The British Occupation of New Jersey
With New York City in British hands, Forts Washington and Lee on the Hudson River (North River) fell to British attack November 16 & 19, 1776, respectively. General George Washington moved his army south through New Jersey, crossing the Delaware . . . — Map (db m10156) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — The Mercer Oak
The Mercer Oak was named for Brigadier General Hugh Mercer, who fought and was mortally wounded in the Battle of Princeton, January 3, 1777. The white oak is believed to have been here at the time of the American Revolution. A legend says that . . . — Map (db m10155) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — This is Hallowed Ground
Across these fields in the early light of the third of January 1777, Washington’s Continentals defeated British Regulars for the first time in the long struggle for American Independence. In the memorial grove beyond you, those who fell in the . . . — Map (db m10618) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Princeton Township — Thomas Clarke House
In 1772, Thomas Clarke, a Quaker farmer purchased 200 acres of land from his brother William. The land, then part of West Windsor, had been in the Clarke family since 1696. Thomas replaced an existing structure with the main house that stands today. . . . — Map (db m10173) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Robbinsville Township — U.S. Army Parachute Test Platoon
This plaque is to honor New Jersey's paratroopers and to commemorate the U.S. Army Parachute Test Platoon which trained here during the summer of 1940. This training was the beginning of the elite military paratrooper units, including the 82nd . . . — Map (db m21981) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Stoutsburg — Province Line Road
In 1664, the Duke of York sold New Jersey, or "Nova Caesaria" to Lord Berkley and Sir George Carteret. East Jersey: Carteret's Trustees sold a "Half" in 1682 to twelve associates, thereafter proprietors of East Jersey. West Jersey: Berkley . . . — Map (db m16862) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — 200th Birthday of George Washington1732 - 1932
In commemoration of the two hundredth birthday of George Washington These eagles and this tablet were placed here by the New Jersey Society of the Colonial Dames of America — Map (db m7275) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — An Historic Site
During Colonial times this was the landing for the ferry to Pennsylvania. The building that was then located here served as a home for the ferryman and a Tavern for those who waited to cross the river. Washington and his Continental Army crossed . . . — Map (db m24669) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — Bicentennial of General George Washington's Birthday
To commemorate the Bicentennial of the birthday of General George Washington at this spot hallowed by his stroke of military genius in the crossing of the Delaware on Christmas night – 1776 and to remind us that the triumphs . . . — Map (db m7276) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — Continental Lane
Road over which Washington's Army Began its march to Trenton December 26 1776 — Map (db m63691) WM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — Crossing of the Delaware
This tablet is erected by the Society of the Cincinnati in the State of New Jersey to commemorate the Crossing of the Delaware by General Washington and the Continental army on Christmas night of seventeen hundred and seventy six. — Map (db m7247) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — Ferry Site
At this site before 1748, a ferry was first owned and operated by Garrett Johnson. It was used to transport the artillery from Pennsylvania to New Jersey the night Washington crossed the Delaware, December 25, 1776. At that time, it was operated . . . — Map (db m7327) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — Retreat and Counterattack – 1776
General George Washington, after losing New York to the British, led his rebel army in retreat through New Jersey and on Sunday, December 8, 1776 crossed the Delaware River into Pennsylvania. He commandeered every available boat along the river so . . . — Map (db m7326) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — Spring House
This Spring House was used by the family living at the colonial Ferry House across route 9. The Spring House and the Store Barn facing the Ferry House are the only outbuildings of a once thriving family homestead and tavern. Spring Houses were . . . — Map (db m61840) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — The Christmas Night CrossingDecember 25-26, 1776 — Washington Crossing State Park
“I am determined, as the night is favorable, to cross the River, & make the attack upon Trenton in the Morning.” General George Washington After a series of defeats in New York in 1776, General George Washington’s Continental . . . — Map (db m7274) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — The Historic District of Titusville
Named for the family of settler Joseph Titus, who established two sawmills and a fishery here in the 1700's, Titusville was a major industrial and transportation center in the mid-19th century. Spurred by the construction of the Delaware and Raritan . . . — Map (db m35103) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — The Site of Washington’s Crossing
General George Washington and 2400 Continental soldiers crossed the icy Delaware River from Pennsylvania and landed at this spot on Christmas night 1776 on their way to attack the British mercenary force of Hessian soldiers at Trenton. The last of . . . — Map (db m7329) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — Washington Crossed the Delaware
. . . — Map (db m7246) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville — Washington Crossing
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United . . . — Map (db m7264) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville (Hopewell Township) — Bridges, Roads, and Railroads of Jacobs Creek
Bear Tavern Road Although much of the surrounding countryside has changed over the course of the more that two centuries that have passed since George Washington and the Continental Army made their famous march to Trenton n late December of . . . — Map (db m94736) WM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville (Hopewell Township) — Continental Lane
Road over which Washington’s army began its march to Trenton December 26, 1776. — Map (db m10378) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville (Hopewell Township) — Geography & Historic Landscape of Jacobs Creek
Early Development Attracted by rich soils, farmers began settling in the area around Jacobs Creek as early as the late 17th century. The agricultural landscape and heritage they established defined the region’s unique identity.

Prior to . . . — Map (db m94726) HM WM

New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville (Hopewell Township) — Johnson Ferry House
This farmhouse is the only existing structure within the park that witnessed the Crossing of the Continental troops on December 25-26, 1776. It was built around 1740 by Rutger Jansen, a Dutchman from Flatbush, Long Island, on a tract of 490 acres . . . — Map (db m10374) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville (Hopewell Township) — Prelude to Victory
You might well imagine that General George Washington stood where you are now stand as he patiently watched his force of 2400 troops march up from the boats on the river over the road in the immediate foreground. Through his officers he would direct . . . — Map (db m10375) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville (Hopewell Township) — Site of Crossing
[Marker Front]: View of the Delaware River at the site where Washington crossed from Pennsylvania to New Jersey, Christmas Night, 1776, with 2400 men, artillery and supplies. The troops marched nine miles to attack the Hessians stationed at . . . — Map (db m10379) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville (Hopewell Township) — The March to TrentonDecember 26, 1776 — Washington Crossing State Park
“The troops marched with the most profound silence and good order. They arrived by two routes at the same time, about half an hour after daylight, within one mile of the town. The storm continued with great violence …” Colonel . . . — Map (db m10450) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Titusville (Hopewell Township) — Washington’s March to TrentonDecember 26th, 1776 — “My Noble Men! Press Onward! On!”
On Christmas night, 1776, the Continental Army, under the command of General George Washington, crossed the Delaware River and began what is known as the Ten Crucial Days of the American Revolution. A few hundred feet from where you now stand, . . . — Map (db m94734) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — “… a Town laid out called Lamberton …” [1773]
        Historically, Lamberton was the loose-knit fishing village and port that extended along the left bank of the Delaware River from Ferry Street to Riverview Cemetery. The heart of the community lay between Landing and Lalor Streets, exactly . . . — Map (db m4389) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — “The Whole Art, Secret and Mystery of Manufacturing Sturgeon”
For several thousand years the waters of the Delaware River supplied fish to Native Americans living along the riverbank. Colonial Immigrants and modern Americans followed suit, catching fish for their own local consumption and for sale in domestic . . . — Map (db m4394) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — “Trenton Ready for War …….”
Trenton contributed mightily to the national war effort in World War I and World War II, mobilizing men and women to fight and to sustain those doing the fighting, and stepping up production in those factories providing materials critical to the . . . — Map (db m4309) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 17th Century Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below) Map (db m4210) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 18th Century Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below) Map (db m4242) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 19th Century Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below) Map (db m4245) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 20th Century (and later) Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below) Map (db m4246) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — A Natural Magnet for Native Americans
Cast your gaze downstream and try to imagine a landscape unaltered by European settlement and the Industrial Age. It is difficult today to appreciate the abundance of natural resources that once surrounded the mouth of Crosswicks Creek even as . . . — Map (db m4379) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Abraham Hunt House
Colonel Rall was entertained on Christmas night 1776 in the house owned by Abraham Hunt which stood on this spot. — Map (db m3657) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Beulah A. OliphantWomen’s Heritage Trail
The Old Barracks is recognized as a National Historic Landmark for its significance as the finest example of colonial barracks in the United States and because of its role in the Battles of Trenton during the Revolutionary War. It is also . . . — Map (db m62214) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Black Soldiers and Patriots
Dedicated to the memory of the Black soldiers and patriots both free and enslaved who served in the American Revolution 1776 – 1783 — Map (db m4149) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Briar Patch
1952-1983 “Oldest known black bear to live in captivity” Nothing is lost that leaves a memory — Map (db m4575) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — British Light Dragoons
This meeting house was occupied by the British Light Dragoons December 1776 — Map (db m3832) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — C. Edward Murray
-1863-       -1943- Quartermaster General of New Jersey and a founder of this memorial Good citizen and good friend whose generosity to every worthy cause made him beloved Dedicated by his friend Walter Evans Edge Governor of . . . — Map (db m4018) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Cadwalader Park
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Cadwalader Park Named for General Thomas Cadwalader, Trenton’s Chief Burgess in 1746. Promoted by Edmund C. Hill in 1884. Authorized by City Council in 1888 . . . — Map (db m4127) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Canals and Railroads – Arteries to the Heart of Industrial Trenton
As the United States began to feel the full force of the Industrial Revolution and expand its own manufacturing and commercial base, cities like Trenton that were blessed with an advantageous location were in the forefront of transportation . . . — Map (db m4298) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Capt. James Olden Paxson
Born 1835 in Trenton. He was the son of Stacy A. Paxson, a former New Jersey state treasurer. At the outbreak of the Civil War he joined Company D, 48th New York Infantry Volunteers (Die-No-Mores), which was made up of men from Trenton, and was . . . — Map (db m4470) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Capt. Joseph A. Yard
Born March 23, 1802, in Trenton. Captain Yard was involved in the export and manufacture of bristled brushes, which proved to be lucrative, but lost his fortune in 1835 due to the wars in Europe. He later was appointed principal keeper of New . . . — Map (db m9892) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Catherine Verducci Ford
Mrs. Ford has dedicated more than 40 years of her life to serving the people in her community, especially the youth of Chambersburg, through her involvement in various groups and organizations. No one exemplifies this commitment to the community . . . — Map (db m4200) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Changing Landscapes Along Petty's Run
Three centuries ago, the landscape before you would have appeared much different. Looking west toward today's State House, you would have been facing a steep-sided ravine with wooded slopes and a fast flowing stream passing from right to left to . . . — Map (db m76805) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Charles Hewitt
Born Dec. 18, 1824, in New York City. Early in life he was principal and teacher of mathematics at the grammar school of Columbia College. He left Columbia in 1845 to join the Cooper Iron Works in Trenton. Responsible for various inventions that . . . — Map (db m4467) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Church of the Sacred Heart
(To the right of the front door): A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Church of the Sacred Heart New Jersey’s oldest Catholic parish Successor of St. John’s 1814 (To the left of the . . . — Map (db m4060) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Cooper & Hewitt ….. Iron & Steel
Trenton initially developed as a center of iron and steel production as a result of the efforts of Peter Cooper, the well-known inventor, industrialist and philanthropist from New York City. In the mid-1840s, as Cooper began to turn his attention to . . . — Map (db m4295) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Daniel Budd Bodine
Born April 16, 1814, in Tuckerton, NJ. He operated country general stores throughout Burlington and Monmouth Counties before moving to Trenton. He served as Chancery Court clerk of New Jersey from 1851 to 1856 and served as mayor of Trenton . . . — Map (db m9891) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Delaware and Raritan Canal1830 – 1935
The State Street Locks were located here. The canal was 42.9 miles long and there were 14 locks between Bordentown and New Brunswick via Bound Brook. The feeder extended 21.6 miles from Raven Rock. The main stream was 75 feet wide and 8 feet deep. . . . — Map (db m10075) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Dorothea Dix
Pioneered to establish this first mental hospital in New Jersey in 1848. She was later Chief Nurse in the Union Army. — Map (db m76924) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Douglass House
Circa 1766, Home of Alexander Douglass, Quartermaster in Washington’s Army, who fought in the Battle of Assunpink, Jan. 2, 1777. Here on that date General Washington held the Council of War. Washington’s idea was to leave campfires burning on the . . . — Map (db m3746) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Dr. John Manners
Born April 8, 1786, in Hunterdon County, N.J. A graduate of the College of New Jersey (Princeton University), he studied at the University of Pennsylvania Medical Department (1812) under Dr. Benjamin Rush, signer of the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m4468) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Ellarslie
. . . — Map (db m4068) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Emlen House
. . . — Map (db m4065) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Europeans at the Falls of the Delaware
The lands adjoining the Falls of the Delaware River were a natural location for early European settlement, just as they had been a focus of native American occupation. The Falls were little more than a stretch of fast-running shallow water between . . . — Map (db m4233) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Ferries across the Delaware
Two ferries across the Delaware River in the Trenton area date from the late 17th century – the Yardley Ferry and the Trenton or Middle Ferry. Two more – the Upper and Lower Ferries – were added later in the 18th century. The . . . — Map (db m4385) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Firemen’s Memorial
Dedicated to the Fire Department of the City of Trenton Volunteer Department Organized February 7, 1747 Paid Department Established April 4, 1892 Re-dedicated 1961 (Second Plaque): Memorial to the members of the . . . — Map (db m3983) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — First High School
Trenton’s First Public School, built here in 1874, had room for 304 students. When city growth prompted the 1902 building of a new high school at Hamilton Avenue and Chestnut Street, this became the William McKinley Elementary School. — Map (db m3572) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — First Presbyterian Churchyard
This tablet is dedicated to the memory of those men who served in the American Revolution 1775 – 1783 and who were buried in the First Presbyterian Churchyard Trenton, N.J. James Francis Armstrong • John Beatty • Nicholas de . . . — Map (db m4005) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — First Professional Basketball Game
      On this site in 1896, was played the first professional basketball game. Fred Cooper, captain of the Trentons, had arranged for the rental of Masonic Temple Hall, after rent was paid, he distributed the remaining money among the players with . . . — Map (db m3658) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — First Synagogue
Trenton’s first Jewish organization, Mount Sinai Cemetery Association, formed November 19, 1857, later known as Har Sinai Hebrew Congregation, began regular synagogue services at this site in 1860. — Map (db m3654) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Fitch’s Shop
Nearby, Lt. John Fitch, official State Armourer, operated a gunshop during the Revolution. It was damaged by the Hessians in 1776. On the Delaware, in 1790, he operated the first commercial steamboat that ran on a regular, advertised schedule. — Map (db m3777) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Friends Meeting House
. . . — Map (db m3984) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — From Federal City to State Capital
Following the Treaty of Paris in 1783, the newly independent United States were faced with establishing a national capital. Up to this point the Continental Congress had met in several places, most often in Philadelphia and New York City. Congress . . . — Map (db m4275) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — From Teacups to Toilets
Trenton burst forth as the premier pottery-producing center of the Eastern United States in the second half of the 19th century, the city skyline soon being dominated by the smokestacks of pottery kilns. Trenton’s location as a transportation hub . . . — Map (db m4284) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Front Street Paper MillTurning Rags to Riches
Most of the historic walls before you relate to the Front Street Paper Mill, which operated from around 1827 until 1876. The rectangular pit originally contained a giant overshot waterwheel, six to eight feet wide and 18 to 20 feet in diameter, fed . . . — Map (db m78386) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — George Clymer
(Headstone): George Clymer Signer of the Declaration of Independence Born Philadelphia June 10, 1738 Died Morrisville January 23, 1813 (Footstone): George Clymer Signer of the Constitution of the United . . . — Map (db m4007) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — George Washington White Oak
. . . — Map (db m4181) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Government House
Home of Moore Furman, Trenton’s first mayor, 1792–1794. Official residence of Governor of New Jersey, 1798–1845. Gen. George B. McClellan in 1862 and Woodrow Wilson in 1912 were among many notables who occupied this famous landmark. — Map (db m3655) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Growth of Government
Trenton has been a seat of county and municipal government since colonial times, although the impact of government on the landscape of the city was relatively limited until the early 20th century. Prior to 1900, most government business was . . . — Map (db m4313) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Headquarters of Colonel Johann Gottlieb Rall
On this site stood the dwelling which was the headquarters of Colonel Johann Gottlieb Rall, Hessian Commander mortally wounded in the Battle of Trenton December 26, 1776 in which house he died the following day. The dwelling was from November . . . — Map (db m3796) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Heritage of Sport
Trenton has a long and storied sporting tradition, both amateur and professional. The city was home to the country’s first professional basketball team, the Trentons, as the local team was known, began charging admission to their games in 1896, so . . . — Map (db m4310) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Hopewell Church
This wall encloses a portion of a plot of two acres whereon was erected in 1704 the first Christian church within the present confines of Mercer County. Early records refer to it as “Hopewell Church” and “Christ . . . — Map (db m4073) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — House of Alexander Douglass
Here in the house of Alexander Douglass Washington called a council of war on the evening of January 2, 1777 when the flank movement to Princeton was decided upon — Map (db m3787) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Ice, Brewing and Bottles
In the late 19th century, long after Lamberton had declined as a center of fishing, shipping and rafting, a new industrial focus emerged at the foot of Lalor Street. Here, straddling Lamberton Street, a factory complex took root where ice was made . . . — Map (db m4386) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — In Loving Memory of Fire Fighters
In loving memory of Fire Fighters Robert J. Mizopalko born 9/16/1952 Joseph F. Woods, Jr. born 11/25/1960 The supreme sacrifice was made by these two brave men on the morning of August 4, 1986 while fighting a 3rd alarm fire at 121 South . . . — Map (db m3792) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Ira Wells Wood
Born June 19, 1856, in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. He graduated third in the class of 1877 at Princeton University. He served on the Trenton Board of Education (1894-1896); Trenton Common Council (1896-1900); Trenton Board of Trade (1896-1900); New . . . — Map (db m4471) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Isaac Harrow’s Plating and Blade Mill
Established 1734 on west bank of Petty’s Run near here. Sold to Benjamin Yard in 1745. New Jersey’s first iron works. Manufactured household and farming tools and equipment. — Map (db m3760) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — James Kerney
-1873-          -1934- Appointed Director of American Committee on Public Information in France during the World War by President Woodrow Wilson Patriot Journalist Jurist whose pen defended his nation counseled her citizens sought her . . . — Map (db m4019) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — James Taylor
Born May 16, 1810 in Staffordshire, England. Taylor came to the United States in 1829 and settled for a time in Jersey City. He worked in the potteries of Troy, Indiana; Orrsville, Kentucky; Cincinnati, Ohio, and East Liverpool, Ohio, to master . . . — Map (db m4465) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John A. Roebling
Civil Engineer Designer and builder of many suspension bridges Founder of Trenton’s greatest industry An energetic worker Inventor and man of affairs Devoted to his adopted country in whose progress he had unswerving faith A patron . . . — Map (db m4128) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John Alexander Campbell
-1856-          -1938- First President and Chairman of the Board of the Soldiers and Sailors’ War Memorial Building Commission Industrialist Banker Philanthropist whose kindly wisdom made his a happier generation Erected by his . . . — Map (db m4020) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John Briest
Born Nov. 11, 1836, in Trenton. He started in the printing business at an early age and became foreman of the Trenton True American print shop. He started the penny daily newspaper The Emporium, which remained in operation from 1867 to 1897. In . . . — Map (db m4943) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John E. Curry Jr.
-1899-          -1990- A President and the longest serving member of this commission 1949 – 1988 Patron of the Arts – Public Servant – Musician – Impresario He made a notable contribution to the cultural life of . . . — Map (db m4021) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John Fitch Steamboat Dock
This commemorates the genius, patience and perseverance of Lieutenant John Fitch, inventor of the first steamboat. It made successful trips between Philadelphia and Trenton in 1790 and docked near this site. — Map (db m3751) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John Fitch’s Gun Shop
During the Revolution, Fitch manufactured guns for the Continental Army at this site. In 1786, he built the first boat in America to be propelled by steam. His last steamboat made regular Trenton – Philadelphia runs on the Delaware in 1790. — Map (db m3779) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — John O. Raum
Born 1824, in Mill Hill, now a part of Trenton. In 1854, he was the first, with Jesse M. Clark and Randolph H. Moore, to publish a city directory that included all the names, addresses and occupations of the people of Trenton. He was elected to . . . — Map (db m4466) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Kelsey Building
(On the right side of front door) This building was erected by Henry Cooper Kelsey as a tribute to the memory of his wife Prudence Townsend Kelsey and for the use of the students of arts and crafts of the City of Trenton . . . — Map (db m4475) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mahlon Stacy
In memory of Mahlon Stacy the first English settler, 1679, who owned the land both sides of the Assunpink Creek at the Falls of Delaware, now Trenton. He erected a grist mill to accommodate the neighborhood; was a member of the Governor’s Council; . . . — Map (db m3831) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mahlon Stacy’s Grist Mill
Trenton’s first industry. Built near here in 1679. Heirs sold mill and 800 acres to William Trent after 1704. He replaced it with a larger mill which continued under successive owners until 1828. Later converted to a cotton, and then to a paper . . . — Map (db m3740) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Many Meetings During the Revolutionary War
This tablet commemorates the site where were held many meetings during the Revolutionary War and where was assembled on Nov. 1, 1784 the Continental Congress of the several confederated states. Here the Marquis de Lafayette took final farewell of . . . — Map (db m3995) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mercer Cemetery at Trenton
(On the Left Side) Organized 1842 Restored 1992 (On the Right Side) Within these walls rest statesmen, polticians, soldiers and plain citizens of 19th century Trenton. Mercer Cemetery itself is a monument to their . . . — Map (db m4543) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mercer County Courthouse
Built on Mill Hill. 1839. Named for General Hugh Mercer who fought at Trenton and died in the Battle of Princeton, 1777. Goodyear vs. Day patent case tried here in 1852. Daniel Webster won for Goodyear. The result was a great impetus to local rubber . . . — Map (db m3752) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mercer County Soldiers’ and Sailors’ Monument
(Front): Mercer County to her sons who served in the United States Army and Navy 1861-1866. Dedicated June 19, 1903 (Soldier’s Side): Liberty and Union One Flag One Land One Nation Evermore . . . — Map (db m4125) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mill Hill Historic District
Mill Hill is named because it overlooks the site of the grist mill built along the Assunpink Creek in 1679 by Mahlon Stacy, Trenton’s first settler. On January 2, 1777, the Second Battle of Trenton was fought on the creek banks, and General . . . — Map (db m3737) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mill Hill Playhouse
The Community Theater of the City of Trenton This plaque presented in memory of Emma Jane Stockton — Map (db m4177) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Mount Zion A.M.E. Church
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Mount Zion A.M.E. Church The Oldest Black Church in Trenton Incorporated by slaves and freedmen 1811 Original edifice this site 1819 Member Founding . . . — Map (db m4945) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Native American Artifacts – Clubs to Prehistory
Artifacts recovered from prehistoric archaelogical sites, especially stone tools and ceramic pots, contain vital information about the living habits and age of Native American cultures. If the soil conditions allow, other materials – such as . . . — Map (db m4207) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Native Americans Exchange Furs for European Goods
The lifestyle of the Lenape changed forever upon contact with Europeans. One source of change was the European appetite for furs in making robes, coats, hats and gloves. Dutch, Swedish and English explorers and traders exchanged items of metal, . . . — Map (db m4208) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Barracks
Built in 1758 for British troops of the French and Indian War. Hessians were quartered here before the Battle of Trenton. — Map (db m3756) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Barracks
Built in 1758 for British troops of the French and Indian War. Hessians were here at the Battle of Trenton. — Map (db m28026) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old City Hall
Built in 1837, Trenton’s first City Hall shared space with stores and rental meeting rooms. Municipal growth led to use of the full building in 1882 and to its replacement by the new City Hall in 1910. Yard’s department store occupied the site for . . . — Map (db m3989) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Eagle Tavern
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Old Eagle Tavern During the 19th century this tavern served travelers, soldiers, and Trentonians as a social and political center. — Map (db m4061) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Masonic Lodge Building
(Marker to the left of the entrance): A Bicentennial Commemorative Site Recognizing America's 200th Year of Liberty Old Masonic Lodge Building (Now open to the public) Used by Trenton Masons continuously since 1793. . . . — Map (db m3781) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Old Steel Mill
Here, in 1750, Benjamin Yard made steel in an iron works founded by Isaac Harrow 1733-’34. The mill was on Petty’s Run which now flows underground. It was one of the earliest steel mills in America and a forerunner of the great industries of Trenton. — Map (db m3762) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Petty's RunNatural Stream to Storm Drain
The stone-lined channel that plunges over the bluff edge below you was once a free-flowing water course. Today it is a partially abandoned segment of the city's storm drain system drawing in run-off from West State Street and a handful of buildings . . . — Map (db m78383) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Petty's RunCapital Industry
Don't let the sloping lawn and park-like setting deceive you. A natural stream, Petty's Run, flowed in a steep ravine at this spot, joining the Delaware River just beyond where the War Memorial sits today. Native Americans camped along the bluffs . . . — Map (db m79530) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Pre-17th Century Trenton Timeline
(see the individual stones photographed below) Map (db m4205) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Quakers Lead the Settlement of West Jersey
In the 1670s and 1680s, most of the proprietors of the Province of West Jersey were Quakers. Quakers were attracted to the new colony by the promise of economic prosperity and religious freedom as well as the opportunity to raise families in a . . . — Map (db m4234) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Residence of John A. Roebling
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Residence, built in 1855, of John A. Roebling American developer of wire rope and the suspension bridge. Occupied by his family until after his death in 1869. . . . — Map (db m4474) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Rev. John Rosbrugh
In memory of Rev. John Rosbrugh Clerical Martyr of the Revolution Moderator of the Presbytery of New Brunswick 1776 Chaplain 3d Battalion Northampton County PA Militia December 25, 1776 Bayoneted to death by Hessians in . . . — Map (db m4006) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Rider College
The Trenton Business College was founded on October 1, 1865 at the corner of Broad and Front Streets. After several relocations, the college constructed this building and occupied it on January 1, 1921. On February 4, 1921, the institution was . . . — Map (db m4198) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Righting Civil Wrongs and Ensuring Civil Rights
Civil rights, the rights to freedom from discrimination that every citizen and inhabitant enjoys by law, have evolved gradually over the years in the United States. For African-Americans, civil rights have been hard-won and are still an issue. . . . — Map (db m4311) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Riverview Cemetery
Riverview Cemetery, today a wedge of green between two major highways, is an oasis in the concrete and asphalt of the city where Trenton’s history is written silently in gravestones. Here in 1685, John Lambert conveyed two acres to the Chesterfield . . . — Map (db m4332) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Roebling …… Wire Rope and American Bridges
One of the iron and steel products for which Trenton became best known was wire rope. Originally developed as a stronger and more durable alternative to hemp, wire rope was first successfully produced in America in the early 1840s by John A. . . . — Map (db m4302) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 1 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777. — Map (db m4057) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — 2 of 12 — Route of Washington’s March
Route of Washington’s march by night from Trenton to Princeton and victory January 3, 1777 — Map (db m4074) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Route Taken by Washington
"Eternal Vigilance is the Price of Liberty" Marking route taken by Washington from Philadelphia to Cambridge to assume command of the Patriot Army in 1775 — Map (db m3790) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Sgt. John P. Beech
Born May 1, 1844, in Staffordshire, England. Beech emigrated to Boston in 1848. In 1856, he moved to Trenton and found a job with City Pottery, at the corner of Perry and Carroll Streets. Beech joined Co. B, 4th New Jersey Volunteer Infantry on . . . — Map (db m4464) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Shipping on the Delaware
In the colonial and early Federal periods, Lamberton was an important node in the regional trade network and a limited participant in overseas trade. Positioned at the head of navigation this small port developed as a key point of collection and . . . — Map (db m4383) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Site of the Golden Swan
Built about 1815. An inn 1826–1857. “The Daily True American” published by the Naar family 1857–1872. Subsequently housed various industrial and commercial activities. — Map (db m3744) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Slavery – An “Odious and Disgraceful” Practice
From the onset of European settlement in North America slavery was a recognized institution and integral to the colonial economy. Although Quakers discouraged the practice, settlers of other religious faiths living in the Delaware Valley maintained . . . — Map (db m4273) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — South Riverwalk Park
Gifted to the City of Trenton and the Mercer County Parks Commission by the New Jersey Department of Transportation and the successful efforts of the Route 29 Community Partnering Team. Designer: Vollmer Associates, LLP Contractor: PKF-Mark . . . — Map (db m4451) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Spirit of Justice
Erected to commemorate that noble spirit of justice displayed by Gen. George Washington after his capture of Trenton in December 1776, in returning to both Whig and Tory alike their personal effects, of which they had been ruthlessly plundered by . . . — Map (db m3757) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — State House
The State House is the heart of New Jersey’s State government, the second oldest State House in continuous use in the United States. First built in 1792 and expanded in every generation, the State House is a witness to two centuries of American . . . — Map (db m3850) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Taylor Opera House
Trenton’s first theater, built here in 1867, presented everyone from Mark Twain and Ethel Barrymore to George M. Cohan before its 1921 conversion to a movie and vaudeville palace as the Capital Theatre. Governors George B. McClellan (1877) and . . . — Map (db m3991) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Alexander Douglass House
was originally built circa 1760 on what is now South Broad Street as a one room, two story “shanty.” Alexander Douglass purchased it in 1769 and it was in that place that George Washington called a Council of War during the . . . — Map (db m79921) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Archives of the State
New Jersey maintains offices all across the State in support of the business of government. The very first of these facilities, the offices of the Secretary of State and the Clerk of the Supreme Court, was situated on this spot within a one-story . . . — Map (db m10147) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Battles of Trenton, Turning Point of the Revolution
By December of 1776, the Continental Army had withdrawn in disarray from New York, across Central New Jersey and the Delaware River into Pennsylvania. The British were in complacent pursuit, confident that it was only a matter of weeks or months . . . — Map (db m4274) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The First Presbyterian Church
A Bicentennial Commemorative Site recognizing America's 200th year of liberty Organized 1712 Present Building erected 1839 We are bound to God’s will (On another marker nearby on the front porch: Presbyterian Church Formed 1712 . . . — Map (db m3993) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Hermitage
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty The Hermitage Built in 1784 by General Philemon Dickinson of General Washington’s Contintental Army. Original part of building (removed 1905) was used as Hessian . . . — Map (db m4066) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Penitentiary House
Labour, Silence, Penitence The Penitentiary House Erected by Legislative Authority Richard Howell, Governor In the XXII Year of Amern Independence MDCCXCVII That those who are feared for their crimes May learn to fear . . . — Map (db m4523) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Second Battle of Trenton
On this site, late in the afternoon of January 2, 1777, General Washington’s “Little Band” of determined men and boys won the Second Battle of Trenton. Having amassed a great concentration of artillery and small-arms power, the Americans . . . — Map (db m3743) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Signing of the Ratification of the Constitution
This tablet commemorates the signing of the ratification of the Constitution of the United States by the thirty-nine commissioners of the State of New Jersey, executed on the site of this bank on the 18th day of December 1787. The one hundred and . . . — Map (db m3784) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Story of Trenton
Settled in 1679, Trenton looks back on more than 300 years of tumultuous history. Scene of the two Battles of Trenton in 1776 and 1777 and New Jersey’s State capital since 1790, Trenton embarked on the path that turned the city into a center of . . . — Map (db m3852) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Swamp Angel
The first gun an eight inch Parrott Rifle or 200 pounder, fired from the Marsh Battery, on Morris Island, S.C. at the City of Charleston, 7,000 yards distance. Weight of gun 16,500 pounds, weight of charge of powder 16 pounds, and weight of . . . — Map (db m4130) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Trenton Steel WorksThe Colonial Art of Making Steel
Making steel in the 18th century was a challenge, especially in America. Steel was essential for making edge tools, such as axes and scythes, and other items like bayonets, knives and the mechanisms for guns and clocks; yet the science of making . . . — Map (db m79352) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The Trenton War Memorial
(On the Rededication Marker): Restored and rededicated by the people of New Jersey in honor of all those from this state who served with courage, dignity, and patriotism in the armed forces of the United States of America Our land is . . . — Map (db m4174) WM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The West Jersey Proprietors Rule
Between 1674 and 1702, the province of West New Jersey was owned and governed by a group of men collectively known as the West Jersey Proprietors. The first proprietors were two Quakers, Edward Byllynge and John Fenwick, who acquired rights to half . . . — Map (db m4235) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — The World Arrives … … Trenton Thrives
Just as the river has for centuries flowed across the falls of the Delaware, so have waves of people streamed into the Trenton area to settle, raise families and make a living. Still more people have passed through this hub in the landscape – . . . — Map (db m4417) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Third Ward Civic Association
This monument and plaque was erected by the citizens of the Third Ward in memory of those who served in World War 2 and for those who made the supreme sacrifice John J, McGlone, Sr. President Sam Brodner Vice-President John L. . . . — Map (db m4568) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Town Hall and Jail
Here stood the first municipal building in Trenton, 1809 – 1837. Later used as a public school, the present building, erected 1850, was the first school house to be built from public funds in the Trenton of that day. — Map (db m3788) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton 1790–1834
1790 — Trenton named capital of New Jersey. John Fitch’s steamboat makes Trenton–Philadelphia trips three days a week. 1792 — State House opens. Assembly meets in State House for first time. 1799 — President . . . — Map (db m3985) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Battle Monument
(On the back Panel): This monument is erected by the Trenton Battle Monument Association to commemorate the victory gained by the American Army over the forces of Great Britain in this town on the 25th day of December Anno Domini 1776 . . . — Map (db m4137) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Battle Monument
A Bicentennial commemorative site recognizing America’s 200th year of liberty Trenton Battle Monument Marks site of major gun emplacement at Battle of Trenton December 25, 1776 — Map (db m4151) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Ferry
April 21, 1789, Washington passed through Trenton on his way to New York for inauguration. Reception was held in City Tavern. — Map (db m3749) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Iron Works 1847-1867
An important part of Trenton’s manufacturing history once operated near this site. Incorporated by Peter Cooper, Abram Hewitt, Edward Cooper and James Hall in 1847, the Trenton Iron Works was renowned for the quality of the goods it produced. The . . . — Map (db m3922) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton Police
Dedicated May 9, 1992 1792 - 1992 (On the Left Side) In Memoriam Officer Jacob Reupp 6-14-1875 Officer George B. Grover 6-15-17 Officer John J. Clowar 11-16-64 Officer George L. Ambrosio 12-8-79 Oh almighty god, . . . — Map (db m4578) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton YMCA
Founded in 1856, the Trenton YMCA was initially located in homes and public buildings throughout the city. In 1892, with volunteer leadership and total community support, the YMCA built their first consolidated facility on this site. By 1916, the . . . — Map (db m3992) HM
New Jersey (Mercer County), Trenton — Trenton’s Early Houses of Worship
Europeans and Africans moving into the Middle Delaware valley in the late 17th and 18th centuries professed and practiced a variety of religious faiths. In the case of the incoming European settlers, most held to some form of Protestant Christian . . . — Map (db m4249) HM

270 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 20
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomUnited States of America