|Georgia (Meriwether County), Alvaton — 99-1 — Carmel Historic District|
|Settlement of Carmel community began with the creation of Meriwether County in 1827. Early families-- Caldwell, Burton, Campson, Gray, Reynolds, Williams, Pope, and Glass--came from Edgefield District, South Carolina. They established Carmel Academy, churches, a cotton gin, blacksmith shop, general merchandise and farm supply store, millinery, lace business, post office, cane syrup mill, and a pottery. Carmel native, Harmon White Caldwell (1899-1977), became Dean of Lumpkin Law School, . . . — Map (db m11680) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Edman — 99-2 — Red Oak Creek Covered Bridge|
|This bridge was built in the 1840s by freed slave and noted bridge builder Horace King (1807-1885). Constructed on the Town lattice design, the bridge’s web of planks crisscrossing at 45- to 60-degree angles are fastened at each intersection with a total of approximately 2,500 wooden pegs, or trunnels. Although King is credited with the construction of many covered bridges throughout west Georgia, this is his only surviving bridge of this design. At 391 feet, including the approaches, this . . . — Map (db m57329) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Gay — 099-1 — Noted Indian Trail|
|The road from the east is a remnant of the Oakfuskee Path, main stem of the noted upper trading route from the Savannah River to the Creek Indians of Georgia and Alabama Beginning at present Augusta, it led this way via Warrenton, Eatonton, Griffin, and the Flat Shoals of Flint River to Greenville; thence to Oakfuskee Town, an early Upper Creek center on the Tallapoosa River in Alabama.
White traders began using this way in the early 1700’s. In time the route became an important pioneer trace and a leading stage road. — Map (db m42161) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Grantville — 099-7 — Allen-Lee Memorial Church — (Old Prospect Methodist)|
|When a new building was completed in 1939, the name of this church, established in 1844 as Prospect Methodist Church, was changed to Allen-Lee Memorial Methodist Church to honor two of its illustrious members, Dr. Young J. Allen and Dr. J. W. Lee.
Dr. Young John Allen, born in Burke County, Jan. 3, 1836, was reared by an aunt, Nancy (Wooten) Hutchins, near Lone Oak. In 1851, during a sermon by Rev. John W. Yarbrough, first pastor at old Prospect, Dr. Allen was so deeply convicted of sin . . . — Map (db m21403) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Greenville — 099-3 — Meriwether County|
|Meriwether County, “Second Home” of Pres. Franklin D. Roosevelt and birthplace of three Ga. Governors -- Joseph M. Terrell, William Y. Atkinson and John M. Slaton -- was created by Act of Dec. 14, 1827 from Troup County. It was named for Gen. David Meriwether (1755-1823), Revolutionary soldier, legislator, Congressman. Representing the government in various negotiations with the Indians, he had unusual influence with their Chiefs. First officers of Meriwether County, commissioned . . . — Map (db m22179) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Greenville — 099-2 — Noted Indian Trail — ←——→|
|The Oakfuskee Path, main branch of the famous Upper Creek trading route from the Savannah River to the Creek Indians, passed here. Beginning at present Augusta, it led through Greenville via Warrenton, Eatonton, Griffin and Flat Shoals of the Flint River to Oakfuskee Town, an early Upper Creek center on the Tallapoosa River in Alabama.
White traders began using this trail in the early 1700s.
In time the route became a noted pioneer trace and eventually a leading stage road. — Map (db m22205) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — Franklin D. Roosevelt|
Beginning as the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, this hospital for polio patients was founded by Franklin Delano Roosevelt in 1927.
The Roosevelt Warm Springs Institute for Rehabilitation is today an internationally recognized comprehensive rehabilitation facility, providing services for people with many different types of disabilities.
Visitors can go on a walking tour of the historic buildings by driving to Georgia Hall located on the campus and proceed to . . . — Map (db m84458) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — Franklin Delano Roosevelt — President of the United States|
|Died in this house on April 12 1945
No soldier gave more on any battlefield than he who here gave his life for his country no greater martyr ever served the cause of freedom
This tablet erected June 25 1947 by the Presidential Electors who in 1944 chose him President of the United States for his fourth term — Map (db m66964) HM WM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — 99-3 — Georgia Warm Springs Foundation|
|These gates mark the original entrance to the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation, established in July 1927 by Franklin D. Roosevelt and Basil O’Connor for the treatment of polio victims. Roosevelt himself suffered from polio beginning in 1921. Learning of the therapeutic nature of the waters at Warm Springs, Roosevelt spent two-thirds of his personal assets to acquire the Warm Springs property in 1926. Roosevelt’s 1932 election to the presidency facilitated fundraising efforts for the Foundation, . . . — Map (db m21442) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — 099-6 — Longleaf Pine Planting|
|In the early years of Franklin D. Roosevelt’s sojourn in Meriwether County, he observed that no great effort was made to replace trees on cut-over or burnt areas not suitable for agriculture.
As a demonstration of replacement, together with erosion and water-shed control, he devoted a little over five acres of his farm to the planting of 5000 longleaf pine seedlings, in the winter season of 1929-1930.
The plantings were made in the area immediately south of this marker. A tornado in . . . — Map (db m22162) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — 099-4 — Old Depot Site Warm Springs|
|Here stood the little depot of the Southern R. R. where Franklin D. Roosevelt arrived & departed on his many visits to Warm Springs during the years 1924-1945.
A personal interest in the after treatment of infantile paralysis led him, in 1924, to the thermal springs at Pine Mtn., the helpful aid of which inspired him to establish the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation to combat infantile paralysis on a national level.
During his presidency of the United States, his Georgia home was the . . . — Map (db m23072) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — 099-5 — Roosevelt Farm|
|Over 2200 acres atop Pine Mountain were purchased 1926-37, by Franklin D. Roosevelt, some 150 acres of which were pasture and crop land -- the rest in pine and hardwoods. The farm was operated on a self-sustaining basis by adherence to methods consonant with practical farming in this section and emphasis on erosion control, reforestation, cover crops, and general soil conservation. The program embraced animal husbandry -- cattle, hogs, and poultry -- together with fruits and vegetables, as a . . . — Map (db m22231) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Warm Springs — 099-8 — Warm Springs Treatment Pools|
|Georgia’s largest and most famous warm spring delivers 914 gallons of 88°F per minute to a catch basin beneath the buildings at the base of the hill in front of you. The springs have been used for recreation and healing for centuries. Franklin D. Roosevelt came here in 1924, in hopes to recover from the effects of polio. He came to believe in the therapeutic benefits of the springs and bought a declining Victorian resort that had grown around the springs. For the next 21 years, he invested much . . . — Map (db m42883) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Warms Springs — 099-9 — The Little White House|
|Franklin D. Roosevelt came to Warm Springs in 1924 in hopes of recovering from the effects of polio. His love for the area and hopes for the Georgia Warm Springs Foundation led him to build a small white clapboard cottage on these pine scented slopes. The house was completed in 1932, while F.D.R. was serving as Governor of New York. During F.D.R.'s four elected terms as the 32nd President, the cottage became known as "The Little White House." It was designed by architect Henry Toombs, who also . . . — Map (db m42839) HM|
|Georgia (Meriwether County), Woodbury — 18 F-2 — The Cove Gorges of the Flint|
|Pine Mountain to the south makes a complete loop forming a beautiful basin 4 miles in diameter known as `The Cove.` It is joined on the south by Oak Mountain, another hard quartz ridge. Flint River has avoided an easier course on either side and has chosen this spot where it had to cut through four ridges, instead of two, forming picturesque rocky gorges. — Map (db m9053) HM|