HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Middlesex County Markers
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Cranbury — Cranberry Mills
This gristmill stone commemorates Cranberry Mills, the first industry in Cranbury - erected by Thomas Grubbs in 1737, on the south side of Cranbury Brook. The village, was once called Cranberry or Cranberry Town, changed its name to Cranbury late in the 19th century. The gristmill formed the nucleus for the development of the Village of Cranbury, drawing settlers, post houses, inns, churches and small businesses related to farming. A dam for waterpower was built, creating a roadway over the . . . — Map (db m36117) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Cranbury — Site of Encampment
Site of encampment of Washington and his troops June 26, 1778 — Map (db m36080) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Cranbury — The Cranbury Dam
The dam, constructed in the 1800's with rebuilding and repairs through the late 19th century, diverted the Cranbury Brook in order to supply power to the local grist and saw mills. Local sewer construction in the 1977 unearthed and partially destroyed portions of the original structure before archaeologists halted the work and revealed portions of a well-preserved crib dam. Left Photo Section of the Original Crib Dam Unearthed During Main Street Excavations Right Photo . . . — Map (db m36399) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Cranbury — Todd Beamer
This building is named in honor of Todd Beamer By act of congress P.L. 107-129 January 16, 2002 — Map (db m36075) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), East Brunswick — Basilone Memorial Bridge
Dedicated to the Memory of Gunnery Sergeant John A. Basilone of Raritan, NJ, United States Marine Corps. Awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor for extraordinary heroism at Guadalcanal 1942. Killed in Action at Iwo Jima 1945. November 30, 1951 — Map (db m60985) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Edison — Danish Home
In 1914, the Danish Brotherhood & Sisterhood Lodges of the North East established the Danish Home for their aged members. The property was a 72 acre farm with an old Victorian house in an area known, at the time, as Raritan Township. The land was farmed, livestock raised and it became a self supporting facility. In 1949, it was determined that the old Home was no longer adequate. In 1951, the new and current Home, in the style of a traditional Danish farm house, was dedicated. This building . . . — Map (db m53349) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Edison — Oak Tree PondOak Tree Pond Historic Park
The Oak Tree Pond, used by generations of residents for fishing and skating, has a surface area of one acre, making it the largest body of water in northern Edison. Spring fed, the pond also receives runoff from the surrounding area. The outflow from the pond eventually flows into a small stream, entering the Bound Brook in the Dismal Swamp. It then joins the Green Brook, which flows into the Raritan River. The pond is a great place to view various birds, such as Canada Geese, Mallard Duck, . . . — Map (db m53341) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Edison — Saint James ChurchPiscatawaytown Burial Ground
St. James Episcopal Church was established in 1704. The original structure was built in 1724. In 1835 the church was destroyed by a tornado. It was rebuilt using as much of the original wood and fixtures as possible. The rear section was built in 1913. There was considerable military activity in the Piscatawaytown area in 1776/1777. Woodbridge Avenue was a main land artery for British communications and movement of supplies and troops. The British Army used St. James Church as a barracks and a . . . — Map (db m53332) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Edison — The Oak Tree Engagement and the Battle of the Short Hills
The Oak Tree Engagement of June 26, 1777 took place in Edison Township near this marker. The engagement was one of four near continuous skirmishes that were known as the Battle of the Short Hills. In late 1776, the revolutionary forces under General George Washington had retreated from Manhattan Island to the Pennsylvania side of the Delaware River after being defeated by British troops under the command of General Sir William Howe. However, by early 1777, Washington’s army had reversed the . . . — Map (db m53337) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Edison — The Oak Tree NeighborhoodOak Tree Pond Historic Park
The Oak Tree neighborhood is named for the large oak tree which stood at the Oak Tree Corner. A market was located here during the Colonial era. It was through this crossroads during the Revolutionary War that Generals Howe and Cornwallis lead the British Army on June 26, 1777, during the Battle of the Short Hills. The 1876 map at right shows the schoolhouse at the corner, and the Reuben Ayers house, which at that time, was owned by Mrs. Kelly. The intersection was different back then. Oak . . . — Map (db m53346) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Edison — The Reuben Ayers HouseOak Tree Pond Historic Park
For over 200 years, a farmhouse was located on this site. It was a simple one and one-half story house that had several additions over the years. The house was on a small hill, facing south, with a driveway leading down to New Dover Road. (Center photo 1964) During the Revolutionary War, the house was owned by Reuben Ayers, who was in the local militia. At that time, the farm was 9 acres and was bounded by what is now (2009) New Dover Road, Marion Street and the JFK-Hartwick facility. On . . . — Map (db m53338) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Edison — Thomas Alva Edison Memorial Tower
Plaque 1: This tower marks the site of the experimental laboratory built by Thomas Alva Edison, born Milan, Ohio, February 11, 1847. The laboratory structure occupied by the inventor from 1876 to 1886, was transported in 1929 by his friend and admirer Henry Ford to Dearborn, Michigan. The center of this tower marks the exact spot where the first practical incandescent lamp was tested. A lamp in the interior was lighted by Mr. Edison on October 21, 1929 from Dearborn Michigan during . . . — Map (db m33292) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Edison — Thomas Alva Edison Menlo Park Memorial
On this site 1876—1882 Thomas Alva Edison Began his work of service for the world to illumine the path of progress and lighten labor for mankind. This tablet is placed by the Edison Pioneers to attest the gratitude of the industries he did so much to create. Dedicated Menlo Park NJ May 16, 1925 — Map (db m33259) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Jamesburg — The Bell Shall Not Toll
The bell shall not toll but will remain forever silent in memory of those from Monroe Township who gave their lives in the service of their country — Map (db m34159) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Monroe Township — Eisenhower Tree
Planted June 2001 Honoring every veteran who has served our nation With respect and gratitude, Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 262 Monroe Township, New Jersey — Map (db m35847) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Monroe Township — Monroe Township Memorial Park
Welcome to the Monroe Township Memorial Park Sculpture Designed by Blaise Batko The symbols used in the design of this site reflect the events that touched all of our lives on September 11, 2001. The nine black granite panels signify the month of September. These panels are carved to symbolize the New York City skyline. The date of eleven is symbolized by the black walkways. These same walkways represent the shadows of the missing World Trade Center Buildings in the New York . . . — Map (db m35607) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Alexander Hamilton Horse Artillery Battery
Here Early December 1776 Alexander Hamilton (Graduate of King’s College) with his Battery of horse artillery covered the ford of the Raritan delaying the advance of the British across the river while Washington withdrew through Princeton to Trenton. — Map (db m10010) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Alexander Johnston Hall1830
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey ---------- Alexander Johnston Hall 1830 ----------Alexander Johnston Hall, the second oldest building at Rutgers, was designed by Nicholas Wyckoff in 1830 to provide a home for the Rutgers Preparatory School and the two student literary societies, Philoclean and Peithessophian. Forty years later, Henry Janeway Hardenberg, the architect of Kirkpatrick Chapel and Geology Hall, added a two-story wing to the north side of the building in 1870. . . . — Map (db m62727) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Buccleuch
Built about 1735 and occupied until 1774 by Anthony White whose wife was Elizabeth, daughter of Lewis Morris, and whose son was General Anthony White. Owned and occupied from 1774 by General William Burton of the British Army. Owned by the Commissioners of Forfeited Estates 1776-1783. Occupied in 1776 by Colonel George Janeway and in 1777 while the British occupied the city by the Enniskillen Dragoons. Owned and occupied 1783-1798 by Colonel and Commissary General Charles Stewart and 1798-1820 . . . — Map (db m8979) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Class of 1924 Memorial
Gift of Class of 1924 in memory of Victor W. Simons, USNR August W. Lentz, Jr., USN Basil D. Gallagher, AUS died in World War II 1949 — Map (db m62731) HM WM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — College Hall
Here in 1791, at what was then the end of George Street, stood College Hall, the second home of Queen’s College, now Rutgers University. The first home of the college with its grammar school, 1771-1791, was at the north-east corner of Albany and Neilson Streets. In 1811 the College and school moved to Queen’s building on the present campus. At the extention of George Street, College Hall was moved to Schureman Street and became the Lancasterian School. — Map (db m62694) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Cuban Howitzer
Howitzer taken from Cabanas Fortress Havana Harbor, Cuba 1898 — Map (db m15769) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Daniel S. Schanck Observatory1866
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Daniel S. Schanck Observatory 1866 The Daniel S. Schanck Observatory, a two-story edifice which includes a revolving roof and a rear wing connected by a passageway, was designed by Willard Smith. The observatory was built to accommodate the study of astronomy in the Rutgers Scientific School, which was established as a department of Rutgers College in 1862. Named in honor of its donor Daniel S. Schanck of New York . . . — Map (db m10068) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Geology Hall1872
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Geology Hall 1872 This brownstone structure was designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh, the great-great-grandson of Rutgers’ first president. The building served as home to the departments of physics, military science and geology. The Rutgers Geological Museum, housed on the second floor, has included important collections of minerals, fossils, Native American artifacts, modern shells, and a 10,000-year-old mastodon . . . — Map (db m10017) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Guest House
Built by Henry Guest, 1760, of local stone. Thomas Paine once stayed here briefly. Relocated in 1925, became Art Center in 1940. — Map (db m8956) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Kirkpatrick Chapel1873
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Kirkpatrick Chapel 1873 Kirkpatrick Chapel, designed by Henry Janeway Hardenbergh (great-great-grandson of the first president of Rutgers, also the architect of Geology Hall), was built as a chapel and library. The library was removed in 1903, thus increasing the seating capacity in the Chapel from 300 to 600 persons. The Chapel is named for Sophia Astley Kirkpatrick of New Brunswick, whose bequest financed the . . . — Map (db m10016) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Men of Rutgers CollegeWho fought for the cause of independence in the American Revolution
To the memory of the men of Rutgers College Who fought for the cause of independence in the American Revolution This tablet is placed by the New Jersey Society of the Sons of the American Revolution on the 150th anniversary (November 10, 1916) of the founding of Rutgers College — Map (db m10071) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick
Settlement begun about 1680 by Dutch and English received from George II city charter as New Brunswick in 1730. This highway was an Indian trail to the falls of the Delaware and the Minisink Trail to Navesink crossed it here. It became the Great Road of colonial travel and trade. Near by was the ford. From 1686 John Inian’s ferry was here. A bridge was built by the British in the Revolution. The citizens built their first bridge in 1794. Along this street were famous inns. George Washington, . . . — Map (db m62691) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick Civil War Monument1861       1865
Erected by the people of New Brunswick in memory of the brave soldiers and sailors who fought in the defence of the Union during the War of the Rebellion Williamsburg • Antietam • Fredericksburg • New Bern • Atlanta • Gettysburg • Winchester • Appomattox Erected       1893 — Map (db m62714) WM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick Inn Site
Under the rooftree of the Inn which occupied this site General Washington tarried when in New Brunswick ----- On the adjoining square upon the arrival of the express rider the Declaration of Independence was acclaimed by all loyal citizens on July 9, 1776 New Brunswick was the third town in which the document was read Erected by The Jersey Blue Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution 1913 — Map (db m8954) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — New Brunswick Sailors
The city of New Brunswick, N.J. erects this memorial to her three sons who perished on the U.S.S. Maine February 15, 1898 in Havana Harbor, Cuba --------------- Frederick Lawrence Jernee William Henry Robinson John Henry Ziegler Back of Monument: In memory of the New Brunswick N.J. sailors who lost their lives on U.S.S. Maine — Map (db m15768) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Old Queens
Old Queens has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1976 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m62695) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — On This High Ground
On this high ground the 7th Regiment of the British Army had its camp and a redoubt while General Howe and his troops occupied New Brunswick December 1, 1776 to June 22, 1777. At the edge of the hill above the river a battery of the American Army under Captain Alexander Hamilton covered the crossing while General Washington with his troops in retreat was in the city November 29 to December 1, 1776. — Map (db m41468) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded Veterans
Honoring Middlesex County recipients of “The Purple Heart” our nation’s oldest military medal My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. Donated by Friends of the Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter #10 — Map (db m62736) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Queen’s Campus1809
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Queen’s Campus 1809 Queen’s College (now Rutgers University) opened for instruction in 1771 in a tavern known as “the Sign of the Red Lion” on the corner of Neilson and Albany Streets. Removed from New Brunswick to North Branch and Millstone during the American Revolution, the College returned in 1781 and ten years later took up residence in College hall located on the south side of George Street, near the . . . — Map (db m10013) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Queen’s Campus1809
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Queen’s Campus 1809 Queen’s College (now Rutgers University) opened for instruction in 1771 in a tavern known as “the Sign of the Red Lion” on the corner of Neilson and Albany Streets. Removed from New Brunswick to North Branch and Millstone during the American Revolution, the College returned in 1781 and ten years later took up residence in College hall located on the south side of George Street, near the . . . — Map (db m10040) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Queen’s College
[Upper Right Hand Marker]: “Expediens est seminaria verae sophiae ericere” XXX MAI MDCCLV Queen’s College Founded by Royal Charter 10, Nov. 1766 Fixed its third site by the erection of this building Designed by John McComb 1808-9 An act of the legislature of New Jersey of 30 Nov. 1825 Changed the name to Rutgers College This building survivor of the earlier period retains the name of Queen’s In honor of the memories . . . — Map (db m10069) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Route Taken by Washington
Eternal vigilance is the price of Liberty ” --------------- Marking the route taken by Washington from Philadelphia to Cambridge to assume command of the Patriot Army in 1775 --------------- Placed here by The New Jersey Society Sons of the American Revolution June 24, 1914 — Map (db m62692) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Rutgers 9/11 Memorial
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey --------------- In memory of the men and women of Rutgers who were innocent victims of the terrorist attcks September 11,2001 Paul A. Acquavina   RC ’94 • Evan J. Baron   NCAS ’81 • David O. Campbell   RC ’72, GSM ’74 • Alexander H. Chiang   GSNB ’82 • John R. Cruz   RC ’93 • Brian T. Cummins   GSN ’91 • Gavin F. Cushny   UCN ’85 • Michael A. Davidson   LC ’97 • Jayceryll M. de Chavez   LC ’99 • Michael A. Diaz – Piedra III   NCAS ’74 • Patrick . . . — Map (db m62733) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — SSgt. Frank Z. Molnar
In memory of SSgt. Frank Z. Molnar United States Armywho was killed in action in Kontum Province Republic of Vietnam on May 20, 1967. SSgt. Molnar was awarded the Medal of Honor for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action at the risk of his own life above and beyond the call of duty. — Map (db m62713) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — The Raritan River
The Raritan Indians lived in this valley. Indian trails from the Hudson to the Delaware and from the mountains to the sea crossed the river near here. Henry Hudson discovered the Raritan in 1609 and the English settled at Piscataway in 1667. New Brunswick, where the ford was and later a ferry, was settled by Dutch and English about 1680. It was granted a city charter by George II in 1730. Rutgers University, called Queens College until 1825, was granted a charter from George III in . . . — Map (db m66977) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Theological Education in Old Queens
From 1811 to 1856 students preparing for ministry in the Reformed Church in America received their theological education in Old Queens. Erected on the occasion of the Bicentennial of New Brunswick Seminary 1784-1984 — Map (db m10072) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Van Nest Hall1847
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Van Nest Hall 1847 Originally two stories, Van Nest Hall was designed by Nicholas Wyckoff. Two nineteenth-century student literary societies, Peithessophian and Philoclean, occupied the first floor and a museum and the chemical laboratory of Lewis C. Beck, professor of chemistry and natural philosophy filled the remainder of the building. It was named for Abraham Van Nest, a New York City merchant and devoted trustee . . . — Map (db m10019) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), New Brunswick — Winants Hall1890
Rutgers The State University of New Jersey Winants Hall 1890 Designed by New York City architect Van Campen Taylor (Rutgers College, Class of 1867), Winants Hall was Rutgers’ sole dormitory until 1914. It is named for Garret E. Winants, a wealthy philanthropist from Bayonne who in 1889 presented a sketch of a proposed dormitory building and funded its construction. In the late 1940’s the building was converted for use by departments and administrative offices . . . — Map (db m10018) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — All Shapes, Sizes and MaterialsAids to Navigation — Maritime History
Primary seacoast lights were located to warn mariners of their proximity to land, the presence of navigational dangers, and to help set their course. By 1852, however, lighthouses and lightships often looked so much alike that it was difficult to distinguish one from another. Today, each lighthouse has a “characteristic” or coded sequence of light flashes making it possible for the mariner to identify the light and its location along the coast. For example, Barnegat Light’s . . . — Map (db m43452) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Ambo Point
You are standing where Perth Amboy’s history began. This is the place called Ompoge, meaning ‘point.’ The Lenni Lenape used these beaches for thousands of years before any European settlers arrived. In 1651, it was deeded by the Lenni Lenape to Augustine Herman, a Bohemian-born entrepreneur from New Amsterdam. Later, this Native American place name became “Ambo” and then “Amboy” on English tongues. This is the section of the waterfront where the first houses were built . . . — Map (db m25116) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — City Hall
Original portion erected in accordance with an Act of the Provincial Assembly 1713 Capitol of the Province and the State of New Jersey 1713 - 1790 Courthouse of Middlesex County 1713 - 1793 City Hall of Perth Amboy 1718

Rebuilt 1766-67 Enlarged and remodelled 1871-72 George W. Merger, Architect Placed on the National Register of Historic Places January 12, 1981 This tablet placed by the Tercentenary Committee in commemoration of the three-hundredth anniversary of Perth Amboy founded . . . — Map (db m76798) HM

New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Dedicated to You, A Free Citizen in a Free LandNew Jersey's Replica of the Liberty Bell
This reproduction of the Liberty Bell was presented to the people of New Jersey by direction of The Honorable John W. Snyder Secretary of the Treasury As the inspirational symbol of the United States Savings Bonds Independence Drive from May 16 to July 4,1950, it was displayed in every part of this state The dimensions and tone are identical with those of the original Liberty bell when it rang out our independence in 1776. In standing before this symbol, you have the opportunity to . . . — Map (db m76782) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Governor’s House
Built by the colonial proprietors of East Jersey in 1762, with bricks which were brought from England. Occupied first by Frederick Smyth, Chief Justice of the colony. Then, in 1774, by William Franklin, who was appointed Governor by the Crown. In 1809 it became a hotel called the Brighton House at which time the south wing was added. During the Civil War it was patronized by Army and Navy officers of prominence. Presented by the Perth Amboy History Club May 1930 — Map (db m7888) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Market SquareCity Hall Park
Site of a 1680s Colonial Market

Dubbed "The Market House" this building was erected in the early 1740s to store and sell produce and imports.

The "Bill of Rights" Commemoration Arch was erected in 1989 to commemorate Perth Amboy as New Jersey's First State Capital and where the Bill of Rights was first ratified. — Map (db m76795) HM

New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Oldest Parish in the State
St. Peter’s is the oldest parish in the state. Founded in 1698 when the Bishop of London sent the Rev. Edward Portlock to be its’ minister. Chartered in 1718 by King George I. Used as a barracks for British troops in 1776. Here the colonial governors attended service. Here the first ordination to the ministry within this state was held in 1788. Here the first Diocesan Convention, second sitting was held in 1786. Here nine Diocesan Conventions were held from 1786 to 1816. Presented by the Perth Amboy History Club 1928 — Map (db m7901) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Perth Amboy
Called “Ompoge” by Indians, “Ambo Point” by settlers. Built as capital and port of East Jersey, 1683. “Perth” was added for Lord Perth. — Map (db m7896) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Perth Amboy City HallBuilt in 1714-17
Site of First Ratification of the United States Bill of Rights. Prior to 1790, it served as New Jersey's Colonial and State Capital.

The oldest public building in continuous use in the United States. The first African American voted here under the 15th Amendment.

Listed on the National Register of Historic Places. — Map (db m76799) HM

New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Raritan Bay & New York HarborIndustry & Trade — Maritime History
Boating is a popular activity on Raritan and Sandy Hook bays. These waters provide both shelter from and access to the Atlantic Ocean. Over the past three centuries, maritime traffic in the Raritan Bay – New York Harbor area has increased significantly. On warm summer days, commercial fishing boats, container ships, sport fishing, pleasure, and military vessels, as well as dredgers and barges crowd the harbor. Smaller sport fishing boats must constantly be on guard to avoid collisions. . . . — Map (db m43453) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — St. Peter’s Church
Organized, 1698, St. Peter’s is New Jersey’s oldest Episcopal Parish. Royal charter, 1718. Churches on this site in 1722 and 1852. — Map (db m7899) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — Surveyor General's OfficeBuilt in 1852-1854
Built to house the records of the Board of Proprietors of East New Jersey. Kept the East Jersey Board in business until 1998.

Completely unchanged since it opened in 1852 Listed on the National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m76796) HM

New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — The Bill of Rights Arch
The "Bill of Rights Arch" erected and dedicated November 20, 1989, is in tribute to the importance of New Jersey, as the first state to ratify the "Bill of Rights," and also to the proud role the City of Perth Amboy, as the First Capitol of New Jersey, has as the designated place in which the "Bill of Rights" was first ratified in the old Court House (present City hall).

The "Bill of Rights Arch," which is built on the site of "The Public Square," is an authentic reconstruction of the south . . . — Map (db m76780) HM

New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — The Bluff: Witness to History
This piece of land has always been called the Bluff, meaning a hill with a broad, steep face. This site’s history suggests another meaning for bluff – to hoodwink. It was here that a delaying tactic permitted an escape, that a fugitive found protection, that a battle of long ago left a still visible mark. Here, the grandest and most elegant of homes were built overlooking the river and stories told of escape routes. On September 11, 1776, Benjamin Franklin, John Adams and Edward . . . — Map (db m25112) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — The Earl of Perth
James Drummond of Scotland. Credited with initiating Perth Amboy's early growth and in whose honor the city is partially named. — Map (db m76800) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — The Perth Amboy Fireman's Triangle Forged 1883
For closed to a century this antiquated 400lb. converted locomotive wheel has been a symbol of courage, pride and valor to the men of the firefighting profession.

Coveted by many fire companies throughout the years, it has been secretly buried - concealed under floors or behind brick walls and guarded as a priceless treasure, always disappearing for unaccountable reasons to turn up again years later.

Though its intrinsic value is little, historically it exemplifies the tradition and . . . — Map (db m76802) HM

New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — The Polish Veterans of World War II, Post 40Polish Home Army Veterans Assoc. N.J. Chapter
They fought as Allies during World War II, on land and sea and in the air The Battle of Britain 1940-45 Narvik, Norway 1940 Convoys to Murmansk 1940-43 Tobruk, North Africa 1941-42 Monte Cassino, Italy 1944 The Invasion of Normandy 1944-45 Breda-Arnhem, Holland 1944 Fallais, France 1944 Wilhelmshaven, Germany 1945 Polish Resistance Movement-AK 1939-45

They remained abroad, in post-war exile, to continue the struggle for a free and independent Poland. These former members of the Polish Armed . . . — Map (db m76784) WM

New Jersey (Middlesex County), Perth Amboy — The Water Highway
From 1683 until 1859, this site was Perth Amboy’s transportation hub. It was the maritime equivalent of our cloverleaf junction. At this interchange – known as “Long Ferry,” to distinguish it from the shorter ferry to Staten Island, travelers could leave by boats bound for South Amboy, Navesink, South River and New Brunswick via the river and the bay. Stagecoach passengers disembarked here for the trip across the Raritan on their longer trips to Burlington or Philadelphia. . . . — Map (db m43449) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Plainsboro — Burial site of "Elsie"The Borden Cow — A celebrated advertising trademark
Elsie, a purebred Jersey cow with enormous brown eyes was chosen to be the advertising symbol for the Borden Company. This became one of the best known and most successful icons in the history of American marketing. Elsie was featured at the Borden Company's exhibit "Dairy World of Tomorrow" at the 1939-40 New York World's Fair. Elsie and her chain of daisies quickly became one of the the star attractions of the Fair. Elsie will be remembered as one of the most celebrated residents of Walker Gordon Farm. — Map (db m36922) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Plainsboro — Scudders Mills
A grist mill, a saw mill and a fulling mill known as Scudders Mill was located on Old Harrison Street 500' from this spot. The mill has been destroyed and Harrison Street relocated, intersecting U. S. Route 1. Built by Josiah Davison between 1737, when he bought the land from his brother. Dr. Daniel Brinton Davison, and 1749, when he sold it to Jacob Scudder of Long Island for 1,400 pounds. He bequeathed the thriving mill to his son, Colonel William Scudder of the American Army. In . . . — Map (db m36923) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Plainsboro — You'll Do Lobelia
A pure bred Jersey cow One of the great Elsies of our time 1932 — 1941 — Map (db m36059) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Sayreville — Sayreville 9-11 Memorial
In Honor and Memory of Our Loved Ones William F. Allen Judy Hazel S. Fernandez Donna Marie Giordano Robert T. "Bobby" Hughes, Jr. Vinod Parakat and All Others Lost on "9-11-2001" — Map (db m5182) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Sayreville — Sayreville, New Jersey Time Capsule
The contents of this Time Capsule are presented to the residents of Sayreville, New Jersey in 2076 from the residents of Sayreville, New Jersey in 1976 Mayor John E Czernikowsky Councilmen Kenneth W. Buchanan, Sr. • Alvin W. Jolly • Joseph Keenan • Thomas R. Kuberski • Raniero Travisano • Felix Wisniewski John Singer - President, Sayreville Historical Society John B. McCormack - Chairperson, Sayreville Bicentennial Committee — Map (db m5181) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), South River — Old School Baptist Church
Circa 1805 Has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m5180) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), South River — South River World War I Memorial
In memory of all those of South River, N.J. who served in the spirit of self sacrifice enrolled themselves in the service of their country 1914 • World War • 1919 Died in Service Wislently Boncarewicz • Conrad Schmitt • Frank Frandsen • William A. Schmitzer • David Gecelik • Joseph A. Schpsco • Steve Levandosky • Michael Shuplek Thomas Lyons • Henry Wenzel • John Yaramchuck — Map (db m5194) WM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), South River — South River World War II, Korean Conflict, and Vietnam Conflict Memorial
A grateful community holds these names in honored memory. They gave their lives in World War II and the Korean War for our way of life. Grant them Eternal Rest. World War II Charles Anasiewicz • Milton Armstrong • Stephen E. Balazs • Edmund P. Bratus • Thomas Bove • Theodore Boyt • Chester Cislo • Edward Dabkowski • Michael J. Dietrick • Peter Dwareski • John Fisezi • John Fisher • Adolph Gerstacker • Frank T. Godlewski • Joseph Gondek • Henry S. Grodzki • . . . — Map (db m5344) WM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Barron Library
First library in Middlesex County on land and money donated by the Barron family. Constructed in Richardsonian Romanesque Revival Style Architecture with massive Belleville stone, floral stained glass, and terra cotta panels. Built 1877 — Map (db m62709) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Cross Keys TavernUnited States Constitution Bicentennial
This tavern, operated at the time by John Manning, hosted the overnight stay of George Washington April 22, 1789 on route to his inauguration on April 30, 1789. Washington was accompanied on the part of the journey from New Brunswick to Rahway by Captain Nathaniel Heard and militia from Woodbridge. The tavern was originally located at the corner of Main Street and Amboy Avenue. — Map (db m8987) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Cross Keys Tavern
On April 22, 1789, George Washington stayed the night at this Tavern on his way from Mount Vernon, Virginia, to New York City for his inauguration as the first President of the United States. Circa 1740 — Map (db m62697) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — First Presbyterian Church
The first meeting house for religious purposes was built here on the ‘Kirk Green’. Replaced by the present church in 1803 and built by Jonathan Freeman, it is known as the Old White Church. 1675 — Map (db m62707) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — First Presbyterian Church Cemetery
Oldest Tombstone – 1690 of 57 original Woodbridge families, 33 buried here. Chartered by Charles II, King of England 1669 — Map (db m62705) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — First Presbyterian Church of WoodbridgeFounded 1675
A house of worship has stood on this site since 1675. In that year a religious meeting house was built which was also the seat of Woodbridge Township government. The founders of Woodbridge were Puritans and the church was non denominational until 1710 when it became Presbyterian. The church is the sixth oldest congregation in New Jersey. The cemetery dates back to the earliest history of Woodbridge with the oldest stone dated 1690. — Map (db m62710) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — George Washington’s InaugurationUnited States Constitution Bicentennial
“On this site stood the historic Cross Keys Tavern”     where George Washington and his party including Governor Livingston arrived late afternoon Saturday April 22, 1789 to spend the night before proceeding to Elizabethtown and hence to New York where he was inaugurated the first President April 30, 1789. The tavern was later moved to a location on James Street. — Map (db m19889) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Great Woodbridge Train Wreck of 1951
In memory of the 85 people who perished on February 6, 1951, when a Pennsylvania Railroad Commuter Train derailed ¼ of a mile (1300 feet) south of this station, and in recognition of the Woodbridge residents and those of the surrounding communities who came to the aid of the injured. — Map (db m6678) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Lawrence Tennant Ballard
In loving memory of Lawrence Tennant Ballard Who gave his life in the World War October 1, 1918 At the final breaking of "The Hindenburg Line" Remember that the greatest glory God can accord to man, is the Glory incomparable of Saving his country — Map (db m6682) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — NJ POW Memorial
Remembering those that endured captivity Honoring those that did not survive Ex-prisoners of War N.J. — Map (db m62734) WM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Presbyterian Church
By the Grace of God, “A building about thirty feet square unpainted inside and out, with no steeple or bell without and no stove within” was erected on this place in 1675 to serve as both a community church, town hall and burial ground on land granted to the town of Woodbridge under terms of a charter dated June 1, 1669 by Charles II King of England. On September 10, 1710 the community church was admitted to the Philadelphia Presbytery. In 1803 a new building was erected. The . . . — Map (db m62760) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded Veterans
Dedicated to the recipients of this oldest military decoration “The Purple Heart” My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. Erected by A. Yelencsics Memorial Chapter #181 M.O.P.H. — Map (db m62735) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Revolutionary Soldiers and Patriots of Woodbridge1776 1927
In memory of the Revolutionary soldiers and patriots of Woodbridge, New Jersey Placed by Janet Gage Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution — Map (db m7904) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — St. James SchoolUnited States Constitution Bicentennial
On this site in September 1890, Mother M. Joseph and Sisters M. Sebastian, M. Baptist and M. Josephus (Sisters of Mercy) founded St. James School. The school was located in the frame building which had formerly been the church. The school was moved to Amboy Ave and Greenville Street in 1924. — Map (db m19890) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — The Second World War Memorial — Ballard Park
Dedicated to the Glory of God and to the memory of these brave young men who gave their lives in the Second World War and whose names are here inscribed for all generations to read and remember. They died with honor on the field of battle so that we might live in freedom and peace. Lord God of Hosts be with us yet Lest we forget, Lest we forget Haupt, Glen Philip · Pastuszak, Frank Kuzniak, Walter J. · Pocklembo, John Raison, James · Sullivan, Bernard J. Snee, Martin F. Jr. · . . . — Map (db m6681) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Trinity Church
Not long after Woodbridge Township was founded in 1669, the Independent Meeting House was built nearby for nondenominational services. Records show that Anglican services were first held there in 1698. In 1710, it was announced that the Independent Meeting House would become a Presbyterian Church. Those who wished to maintain the Anglican form of worship left in protest, and decided to erect their own building at the present location of Trinity Church. Until it was completed in 1713, the home . . . — Map (db m62703) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Trinity Episcopal ChurchFounded 1702
First service held December 29th 1703 By Rev. John Keith First Church erected about 1712 Second Church erected on old site 1754 Charter granted by King George III December 6th 1769 Second Church destroyed by fire 1858 Corner Stone of present Church laid July 7th 1860 Consecrated May 20th 1861 by Rt. Rev. W.H. Odinheimer Bishop of the Diocese of New Jersey ( Lower Marker : ) Historical research, since the placing of the commemorative tablet mounted above, has established that Trinity . . . — Map (db m39976) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Trinity Episcopal Church
Edward Portlock first conducted services in Woodbridge in 1698, making Trinity one of the oldest parishes in New Jersey. After fire destroyed a second building, the present church was built. Built 1861 — Map (db m62701) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — United States Post OfficeWoodbridge, New Jersey 07095
The original post office of Woodbridge, established July 31, 1792, was located at the Cross Keys Tavern on the northwest corner of Amboy Avenue and Main Street. The first postmaster appointed by Postmaster General Timothy Pickering was the Honorable John Manning, who was the proprietor of this historical tavern, where George Washington, (April 22, 1789) remained overnight on his way to New York to be inaugurated the first President of the United States. In 1812, the Post Office was relocated . . . — Map (db m19888) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Woodbridge
November 28-29, 1776, Washington passed this way on the march to New Brunswick. April 22, 1789, on his inaugural tour to New York, he lodged at the Cross Keys Tavern at the northwest corner of Main Street and Perth Amboy Avenue. — Map (db m8949) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Woodbridge Police Memorial
Sept. 27, 1964 Dedicated to the memory Of our departed brothers — Map (db m6680) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Woodbridge Township
The first settlers arrived here in the mid-1600s after the land was purchased from the Lenni Lenape People. The township was chartered June 1, 1669 by King Charles II of England. Composed of ten separate towns, it remains the oldest continuing township in the State of N.J. — Map (db m6679) HM
New Jersey (Middlesex County), Woodbridge — Woodbridge War Memorial
In memory of the soldiers and sailors of Woodbridge, N.J. who fought in the wars of our country. Erected by the citizens of Woodbridge, N.J. 1911
Map (db m62716) WM
93 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 205 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.