|Virginia (Middlesex County), Deltaville — F.D. Crockett|
|Built in 1924 in Seaford, VA by Alex Gaines and John Smith
This historic vessel is the last largest log boat built for power.
The Deltaville Maritime Museum, with John England as project manager, is restoring the “Crockett” for the passenger trade and buy boat circuit.
This self-funded project depends on private donations for success. Your contributions are greatly appreciated. — Map (db m59626) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Deltaville — N 76 — Stingray Point|
|Capt. John Smith led two exploratory voyages in Chesapeake Bay during the summer of 1608. His boat ran aground at the mouth of the Rappahannock River three miles east, on 17 July. While awaiting high tide to float the vessel, he and his men impaled fish with their swords and Smith speared a cow-nose ray that sank its tail spine into his wrist as he tried to remove it. The toxin swelled Smith's arm, shoulder and chest but surgeon Walter Russell applied soothing oil and by evening Smith was well . . . — Map (db m26571) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Hartfield — N-50 — Lower Methodist Church|
|Built 1717, this was the second lower chapel of Christ Church Parish, Middlesex County. It occupies the site of the first lower chapel of this parish, built before 1661 as the church of Piankatank Parish. Bartholomew Yates was the first minister of the present church. After 1792 the church was unused, except by the Methodists or Baptists. In 1857 Robert Healy bought the church from the parish and gave it to the Methodists, who have worshipped here ever since. — Map (db m14109) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Hartfield — N 77 — Stingray Point|
|Eight miles east, where the Rappahannock River joins Chesapeake Bay. Near there, in June, 1608, Captain John Smith, the explorer, was hurt by a stingray while fishing in the river. The point took its name from this incident. — Map (db m26572) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Jamaica — N-40 — Glebe Landing Church|
|This church was constituted in 1772 by the noted baptist preacher, John Waller. The first building stood on the old Glebe overlooking the Rappahannock river; hence the name Glebe Landing. The present building was erected in 1839. — Map (db m2976) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Laneview — Z-165 — Middlesex County / Essex County — Area 146 Square Miles / Area 258 Square Miles|
|Middlesex County Area 146 square miles Formed in 1673 from Lancaster, and named for an English County. Rosegill frequented by Colonial Governors, is here.
Essex County Area 258 square milesFormed in 1691 from Old Rappahannock County, and named for Essex County, England. R.M.T. Hunter, United States Senator and Confederate Secretary of State, lived in this county. — Map (db m7494) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — 1st Lt Beryl R. Newman — Medal of Honor, W.W. II|
|Walking straight into the mouth of early death facing superior enemy fire power and while greatly outnumbered, this soldier displayed courage and valor, above and beyond the call of duty. His act of conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity occurred May 26, 1944 near Cisterna, Italy. As the result of his actions, President Roosevelt decorated then Captain Newman, with the Medal of Honor. Our nation’s highest military award.
Medal of Honor
1st Lt Beryl R. Newman
Co. F. & G, . . . — Map (db m14112) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — N-48 — Christ Church|
|Half a mile east is Christ Church, Middlesex. The first building was erected about 1666; the present one in 1712. About 1840 the church was restored. The colonial governor, Sir Henry Chicheley, is buried there. — Map (db m27001) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — Middlesex County Confederate Monument|
|To commemorate the valor and patriotism of the men, and the devotion and sacrifice of the women of Middlesex in defense of their liberties and their homes. — Map (db m14111) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — N-41 — Middlesex County Courthouse|
|In 1849, the county seat of Middlesex was moved from Urbanna to Saluda. Engineer John P. Hill completed the present courthouse in 1852. During the Civil War, Federal cavalrymen stationed in Yorktown made several excursions through the county. Court clerk Philemon T. Woodward (1852 – 1892) concealed the county’s colonial records nearby in Dragon Swamp, thereby saving a rich source of local history from potential Union souvenir hunters. Virginia’s first county museum was established in the . . . — Map (db m14110) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — Middlesex County Veteran's Memorial|
|Presented in honor of those who served our country.
To them we owe our freedom — Map (db m14113) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — WO-37 — Scottish Factors Store|
|Two miles to the north, in the colonial port of entry of Urbanna, is a restored eighteenth century storehouse. Scottish merchants became active commercial factors in the colony subsequent to the Act of Union of England and Scotland. Urbanna was established as a town in 1706. — Map (db m26861) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Saluda — N-49 — Tomb of Puller|
|In Christ Churchyard immediately to the north lies buried Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell Puller, USMC. He led Marines in 19 campaigns from Haiti and Nicaragua through the Korean War, receiving 53 decorations and the admiration and affection of those he led. He was a Marine’s Marine and is a tradition of Virginia and our nation’s history. — Map (db m26976) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — A Hub For Commerce|
|As you look toward the water, you are viewing a historical landscape. The houses in front of you weren't here 250 years ago, but the Customs House - the building across the street to your left - would have been. Imagine what this place was like back then - filled with the sounds of men working and discussing the latest news, ships being loaded and unloaded, and hogsheads (barrels) being rolled down the hill. This was a place to share stories, do some trading and spend money.
A Little Store . . . — Map (db m26632) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — Arthur Lee|
|Here in the garden of Lansdowne was buried Arthur Lee, 1740-1792. The youngest son of Thomas Lee of Stratford. He was graduated in medicine at Edinburgh in 1764 and practiced briefly at Williamsburg, but his zeal for the cause of the American Colonies prompted him to go to London, where he became a noted lawyer and political propagandist. Early in 1776 he secretly obtained the original grant of French military supplies for the Continental Army, and in 1778 he signed the Treaty of Alliance with . . . — Map (db m33887) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — OC-36 — Christopher Robinson|
|in 1678, Christopher Robinson purchased 300 acres here that became Hewick, the Virginia seat of the Robinson family. Robinson’s distinguished service to Virginia began as the clerk of Middlesex County Court from 1677 to 1688. He was elected to the House of Burgesses in 1691, and, in 1692, was appointed Councillor and Secretary of the Foreign Plantations by King William III of England. Robinson’s final contribution to colonial Virginia came in 1693, when he served as a founding trustee of William and Mary College. — Map (db m27178) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — OC 42 — John Mitchell’s Map|
|Born in Lancaster County on 13 Apr. 1711, John Mitchell studied medicine at the University of Edinburgh and in 1734 opened a practice of medicine here in Urbanna. In 1746, he moved to London, where he published his Map of the British and French Dominions in North America in 1755. British and American diplomats used the map, acclaimed for its accuracy, to negotiate the Treaty of Paris in 1783, which ended the Revolutionary War and established boundaries for the new nation. The map served . . . — Map (db m26575) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — Landsdowne|
|In 1763 Ralph Wormeley III of Rosegill sold this house to James Mills, a Scottish merchant. In 1791 Arthur Lee bought it and 1,000 adjacent acres to be his home in retirement. Lee named this estate Landsdowne in honor of his friend, William Fitzmaurice, Earl of Shelburne and Marquess of Landsdowne, a British statesman who supported the American cause before and during the Revolution. Fitzmaurice became Prime Minister in 1782 and negotiated the Treaty of Peace recognizing the independence of the United States. — Map (db m27015) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — OC-41 — Old Middlesex County Courthouse|
|This building served as the Middlesex County courthouse from 1748 to 1852. Although much altered from its original appearance, it is one of Virginia’s rare colonial courthouse buildings. During the American Revolution, the local Committee of Safety met here. According to tradition during the Civil War, it briefly housed Confederate troops. After use as the county courthouse, the building was remodeled and became a house of worship for several denominations. In 1948 Christ Church parish . . . — Map (db m27011) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — Old Tobacco Warehouse|
|Traditionally known as the Old Tobacco Warehouse. Built 1766 by James Mills, Scottish merchant. First used as a store and/or warehouse.Owned and authentically restored by the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities. — Map (db m26605) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — Prettyman’s Rolling Road|
|This historical landscape hasn't really changed in the past 250 years. The Factor Store has gone through many transitions from a tobacco inspection facility and general store, to private homes, to the Urbanna Library and, finally, to the museum you see today. The Factor Store is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Walk up to the site and enjoy the view - and discover its history and charm.
More than 200 years ago, Virginia Street was called "Prettyman's Rolling Road." . . . — Map (db m26631) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — OC-35 — Rosegill|
|A short distance east is Rosegill. The house was built about 1650 by the first Ralph Wormeley; it became the summer home of the colonial governors, Sir Henry Chicheley and Lord Howard of Effingham. In 1776, the owner, the fifth Ralph Wormeley, was put under restraint as a Tory. In 1781 Rosegill was plundered by British Privateersmen. — Map (db m27005) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — Sandwich — c. 1754|
|Sandwich, circa 1754, is registered as a Virginia Historic Landmark and placed on the National Register of Historic Places. 2008. — Map (db m26858) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — The Backyard Garden Was Essential|
|The quiet landscape you see today was once teeming with activity.
There was a garden behind the store that provided vegetables for home use and possibly for sale or trade. There was a larger garden area as well, which was probably tended by slaves.
There was livestock here, too, including chickens, hogs, cattle and ducks.
Just like in your backyard at home, men and women sought refuge from the hot summer sun under the shade tree. They'd catch up on the news, admire a new item . . . — Map (db m26606) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — The Grave of Arthur Lee|
|Nearby, in the garden of Lansdowne, was buried Arthur Lee, 1740-1792, the youngest son of Thomas Lee of Stratford. Early in 1776 he secretly obtained the original grant of French military supplies for the Continental Army, which made possible the victory at Saratoga and the independence of the United States. In 1778 he signed the Treaty of Alliance with France. He retired to Lansdowne in 1791. — Map (db m33886) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — Tobacco Was Money — and this was where you made it or spent it!|
|In Colonial Virginia, tobacco was money - a product in high demand in England. Acts were passed providing for the inspection of tobacco to ensure quality and to make sure that correct payments were made for its sale and purchase.
All tobacco was to be brought to warehouses to be inspected and stamped. "Notes" were issued to complete the process. By the 1700's, Urbanna was listed as one of several official tobacco inspection centers.
Caption of photo in upper left hand . . . — Map (db m26630) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Urbanna — OC-40 — Urbanna Creek|
|First known as Nimcock Creek, this creek was mentioned in a legislative act of 1680 as “Wormley’s Creek.” After the town of Urbanna was named in 1705 for Queen Anne, the stream was given the same name. British privateersmen entered the creek, June 5, 1781, and pillaged Urbanna and Rosegill, the plantation of Sir Richard Wormeley. — Map (db m27009) HM|
|Virginia (Middlesex County), Warner — N 45 — Hewick|
|Three miles east is Hewick, built about 1678 by Christopher Robinson, Clerk of Middlesex County. It was the birthplace of John Robinson, Speaker of the House of Burgesses and Treasurer of Virginia, 1738-1766, the leading man of the colony. — Map (db m7514) HM|