|Utah (Millard County), Delta — “All Gave Some - Some Gave All”|
|442nd Regimental Combat Team, 100th Infantry Battalion, Military Intelligence Service (MIS)
Formed during World War II, these three US Military units were comprised of Japanese-American young men from the US mainland, Hawaii and from ten internment camps such as Topaz. Despite heated racial attitudes, many young men volunteered to show their loyalty to their country. Their valor and fighting spirit became known throughout the US military. The rescue of the Lost Battalion in France . . . — Map (db m1332) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — 553 — Deseret Relief Society Hall|
|The Relief Society in Deseret was first organized in September of 1877. This group of women met in each other's homes until 1878, when they had a large, one-room adobe hall built. In 1894 the members of the Relief Society decided they should construct a new Relief Society Hall. They began raising money for this building by donating and saving what they could. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints General Relief Society Board called for contributions to the building of the new General . . . — Map (db m69541) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — 218 — Escalante Trail|
|Father Escalante camped here October 2, 1776. His exploring party of ten men headed by Father Francisco Dominguez and map-maker Pacheco preached to the Indians and charted a northern route between Santa Fe, New Mexico and Monterey, California. They named this valley “Valle Salado” (Valley of Salt). They traveled west near Clear Lake then east to a hillock, (Pahvant Butte). Here they found marshes and much pasturage, but salt water.
— Map (db m1439) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — 23 — Fort Deseret|
|Erected as a defense against Pahvant Indians in the Black Hawk War, completed in 18 days by 98 men. Wm. S. Hawley and Isaac W. Pierce, foremen; John W. Radford, Supt. Opening celebration July 25, 1865. The fort was 550 feet square, bastions at Northeast and Southwest corners and gates in the middle of each wall. Made of adobe mud and straw mixed by the feet of oxen, when completed were 10 feet high, 3 feet wide at base and 1 1/2 feet at top, resting only on a stone foundation. — Map (db m69542) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — N-12 — Fort Deseret Utah Historic Site|
|Built in 1866 of Adobe mud by two teams of 98 men to protect the settlers during Black Hawk Indian Wars. — Map (db m69544) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — 447 — Gunnison Massacre Site|
|In 1853, Captain John W. Gunnison was selected to lead an expedition to find a trans-continental railroad route. He followed the Old Spanish Trail through Salina Canyon, over the mountains to Pahvant Valley, and upon reaching Fillmore, visited his friend, Bishop Anson V. Call. Gunnison made friends in Utah while serving with Howard Stansbury's mapping expedition in 1851. Bishop Call warned him of Indians near the Sevier River because an old Indian brave in the Kanosh Tribe had been killed by . . . — Map (db m69536) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — S-27 — McCullough Log House and Post Office Utah Historic Site|
|Constructed November 1907 – January 1908 by Henry McCullough, his two sons and son-in-law, of logs hauled 30 miles from Fillmore. Delta's first Post Office -- January 1908 - March 1912. — Map (db m69545) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — 119 — Pioneer Cabin|
|This pioneer cabin was built in December 1907 by Henry J. McCullough and was the second house in the town of Melville. One month later January 18, 1908, the first Post Office was established and the name changed to Burtner. Adjoining this cabin, on March 5, 1908, the first store was opened for business. The first Sunday School of the vicinity was organized in this building on September 6, 1908. — Map (db m69546) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — Topaz 1942–1946 Central Utah WRA Relocation Center|
|Fifteen miles west at Abraham is the location of the bleak desert site of a concentration camp, one of ten in Western America, in which 110,000 persons of Japanese ancestry were interned against their will during World War II. They were the victims of wartime hysteria, racial animosity, and economic opportunism on the West Coast. Confined behind barbed wire fence and guarded by armed sentries and held for no justifiable reason, the internees, two-thirds of whom were American citizens, and the . . . — Map (db m1438) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Delta — Topaz Internment Camp|
|Over 120,000 Japanese-American, two thirds of whom are U.S. citizens, are uprooted from their west coast homes and incarcerated by their own government. It is 1942, wartime hysteria is at a peak. They are imprisoned in ten inland concentration camps where they remain behind barbed wire, under suspicion and armed guards for up to 3½ years. Topaz is one of the ten camps.
Without hearings or trials, this act of injustice is based solely on the color of their skin and the country of their . . . — Map (db m1270) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Fillmore — Capitol|
|In 1849, after a peace treaty was signed between Mexico and the United States, Congress was petitioned to admit the State of Desert to the Union. However, this petition was denied and the Organic Act of September 9, 1850, created the Utah Territory.
On October 4, 1851, under the direction of Governor Brigham Young, the Utah Territorial Legislature created Millard County and designated Fillmore as both the county seat and as the capitol of the Territory. The selection of Fillmore as the seat . . . — Map (db m69578) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Fillmore — Dominguez - Escalante Trail|
|The written history of the Intermountain Region begins in 1776 with the remarkably accurate diary of Father Escalante, a Spanish Franciscan priest. He and Father Dominguez, together with eight companions, were the first white men known to have been here.
On a futile journey, trying to locate a direct route between Santa Fe, New Mexico, center of Catholic Missionary activities, and Monterey, California, recently reestablished Port of Entry for goods from Spain and southern Mexico, they . . . — Map (db m69579) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Fillmore — S-91 — Edward Partridge, Jr. House Utah Historical Site|
|This sandstone house was built by a local contractor for Edward Partridge, Jr., in 1871. Partridge moved to Utah with his mother and other family members in 1848. His father, who died in 1840, was the first bishop of the LDS Church. Edward was extensively involved in the LDS Church, fulfilling two missions, serving as bishop of Fillmore and later as president of the Utah (Provo) Stake. Partridge also served in the Territorial Legislature and was a member of the State Constitutional Convention . . . — Map (db m69584) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Fillmore — 8 — Fillmore Pioneer Fort|
|This marks the Southwest corner of the Fort, built in October and November 1851 as protection from Indians, by first 17 families under direction of Anson Call, Jesse W. Fox, surveyor. About 2 city blocks in size, the front wall 8 to 10 feet high was built of cobblestones, other walls of mud, straw and rocks. The East wall followed the foot hills in circular form. Fort walls were used as back walls of homes. Mail station, Church, School, recreation grounds, gardens, and corral were within and Chalk Creek ran through the Fort. — Map (db m69583) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Fillmore — 408 — Fillmore's Adobe Church|
|These stones, quarried in Chalk Creek and hauled by oxen in 1854, were used in the foundation of the two-storied 30 x 40 adobe church building located in the Pioneer Fort one half block east of Main Street. Remodeled into one 30 x 60 hall with oval ceiling, it was used for church and school until 1900, when it became the Relief Society home for nine years. It then served many different purposes. Sold to Roy and Mary A. Dame in 1915, whose family financed this monument and steps. — Map (db m69580) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Fillmore — 190 — Little Rock Schoolhouse|
|Fillmore was settled in 1851. Before the close of the first year the Pioneers had erected a log school room inside the fort. It had split logs for seats, a dirt roof and floor. In 1854 an adobe church was built which also served as school. In 1867 three small school buildings were erected. This is one of them. It was the first building financed by the taxpayers. Contractors, Dellie Webb & Ova Peterson, Builders: Horace & James Owens, Nat Baldwin, Lewis Tarbuck, John Ashman, James & Ralph Rowley, Hans & Christian Hanson, & John Powell. — Map (db m69581) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Fillmore — 7 — Utahs First Capitol|
|Creating Fillmore City and Millard County the Territorial Legislature of Utah selected Pahvant Valley, as Capitol site October 29, 1851. This spot was selected by Governor Brigham Young. Construction work began in 1852. Truman O. Angell, architect and Anson Call, supervisor. This south wing was used by the fifth Territorial Legislature October 10, 1855. In 1856 the seat of Government was moved to Salt Lake City. Later used as Court House and County Headquarters. Restored in 1928 and dedicated as State Museum July 24, 1930. — Map (db m1277) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Hinckley — Hinckley Schools|
|In 1889 the first school was held in the Benjamin W. Scott home located a mile south of the Hinckley Park. It was often referred to as "The Old Mud Temple." In 1934 this monument was placed on the site of the building by the Boy Scouts and the Daughters of the Utah Pioneers of Hinckley.
In about 1908 an Elementary School was built on Main Street, across from the stores. The building was two-story and cost $20,000. This building was torn down in 1968 and the park occupies the site. The . . . — Map (db m69540) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Hinckley — S-14 — Millard Academy Utah Historic Site|
Built 1909 - 1910 of brick
Architect: S.T. Whicker
T. George Theobold
Millard LDS Academy
Hinckley High School
1923-1953 — Map (db m69538) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Holden — 3 — Cedar Springs Fort (Buttermilk Fort)|
|Erected 1855-56, was 150 feet long north and south by 75 feet wide. Facing each other and standing 30 feet apart were two rows of adobe houses. The gateways were in the north and south walls.
Richard Johnson and William Stevens, Sr. and families were the pioneers in the spring of 1855, five other families from Fillmore followed in the autumn and assisted in constructing the fort, which was completed in the spring of 1856.
The townsite was surveyed in 1867 by Edwin King and the name Holden adopted in 1869. — Map (db m69575) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Holden — Heritage Bell|
|Bell was originally mounted in the steeple of Holden Ward Chapel dedicated in 1883. The bell was rung 30 minutes before Church services were to begin, also rung on special occasions.
Present bell tower erected as a reminder to present and future generations of our noble pioneer heritage. — Map (db m69577) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Holden — Holden|
|Established by Mormon Pioneers in 1855, as Fort Cedar Springs. Church President Brigham Young gave permit for the families of William Stevens Sr. and Richard Johnson to start a settlement near these grassy, spring-fed cedar hills.
Joined that fall by eight more families. The small colony began construction of an adobe walled fort to serve as a home for the people and protection from Piute Indians. In use until 1867, it was a place of refuge for the weary frontier traveler. It came to be . . . — Map (db m69574) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Kanosh — 1867 Chief Kanosh Memorial 1976|
|This town was named after the Indian Chief C'nos. Born in 1821 in California, he was a stately, intelligent and loving ruler of the Indians of Pahvant Valley. He died in 1884. — Map (db m75516) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Kanosh — 200 — Kanosh|
|The townsite of Kanosh selected by Brigham Young was surveyed in 1867. The first settlers were Noah Avery, William Penney and Baldwin Watts. Upon advice from Brigham Young, families from Petersburg, Corn Creek, added strength to the new settlement. C-Nos, a Pahvant Indian Chief and his tribe of 400 lived in this locality, hence the name "Kanosh" was given to the place.
This tithing office building, erected in 1870, was also used as a meetinghouse. Culbert King was the first bishop. The . . . — Map (db m75517) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Leamington — Morrison Charcoal Ovens 1882|
|These charcoal ovens are evidence of a historic man using natural resources. Reminders, which once upon a time, formed the basis of a mans industrial enterprise. In 1882 that man, George Morrison, hired Nicholas Paul to build four charcoal ovens. Records indicate he was aided by Ole Hans Jacobson and Herman Lundahl. Records also indicate that Christian Overson at one time was in charge of operations.
Wood in mountain canyons to the East was cut into four foot logs, put on mules and horses . . . — Map (db m34859) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Meadow — Chief Walkara (Chief Walker, Wakarum) 1810 ca. - - - - January 29, 1855|
|Walkara, Ute Indian chieftan, was one of the principal Indian chiefs when the Mormons first entered this area in 1848. Feared from California to New Mexico, he was a remarkably sly chief, daring horse thief, savage slave trader, furious enemy, admirable friend, and unprincipled lover. He became a war chief unrivaled in his ability to lead his band with cunning, power and fierceness.
His name refers to yellow buckskin. Nicknamed the "Hawk of the Mountains" and "Napoleon of the Desert" he was . . . — Map (db m75514) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Meadow — 191 — Settlement of Meadow|
|The first settlers, James and Janet Duncan with four other families came in 1857, lived in dugouts on the ridge one mile west. In 1859 a culinary water problem caused them to move east where ten families began the settlement of Meadow, so named for its productive meadowland. In 1863 Wm. Henry Scott was appointed presiding elder of the branch. The ward was organized 1877 with Hyrum B. Bennett, Bishop. This Church, built in 1884, also served for school and public gatherings, as did the first log schoolhouse of Meadow. — Map (db m75515) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Meadow — Taysom Cabin|
|Charles Taysom built this cabin at this location in 1866.
Restored by the descendants of Charles & Mariah Taysom.
Dedicated in memory of their pioneer sacrifices and endurance, 2002. — Map (db m69585) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Oak City — 472 — Oak City / The Bell|
| Marker A:
Oak City was named after Oak Creek, a sparkling mountain stream meandering through scrub oak and gray sagebrush. It provided water, the lifeblood of this community.
Founded in 1868 by pioneers who had formerly resided at Deseret, this location was chosen as a refuge from the Sevier River floods. Their animals formerly had been pastured on Oak Creek. The town site was surveyed into twenty-four blocks and was patterned after the original survey of Salt Lake . . . — Map (db m69573) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Scipio — N-1014 — Scipio Town Hall Utah Historic Site|
|Built in 1935, the Scipio Town Hall is one of over 230 public works buildings constructed in Utah under various New Deal programs during the Depression years of the 1930's and 40's. The types of buildings constructed included schools, county courthouses, libraries, National Guard Armories and a variety of others. The Scipio Town Hall was intended for use both as a town hall and as a meeting place for all civic and political functions in the community. Two Scipio men Will and Lew Critchley were . . . — Map (db m75461) HM|
|Utah (Millard County), Scipio — 234 — Settlement of Scipio|
|In 1860, thirteen Latter-day Saint families settled Round Valley. Brigham Young visited them in May, 1863, and advised, because of Indians, they move their settlement away from the mountain area. He accompanied the men to the center of the valley, laid out the townsite, designated the location for a public square and center of town, and named it Scipio. A log room was built, which served for church, school, and public meetings. In March 1869, an L.D.S. ward was organized with Daniel Thompson as . . . — Map (db m75459) HM|