HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Milwaukee County Markers
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Franklin — 41 Twin Outdoor Theatre
The 41 Twin Outdoor Theatre, the second drive-in built in Wisconsin, occupied this site from July 1, 1948 until September 16, 2001. The 41 Twin was one of a handful of outdoor theaters throughout the United States to make use of a double-sided screen tower. Two additional single screens were added in 1981, making the 41 Twin one of the largest drive-ins in the country with space for nearly 3,000 cars. During its 53 years of operation, the theater showed over 8,240 feature films. A wide variety . . . — Map (db m35836) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greendale — 196 — Boyhood Home of Jeremiah Curtin(1835-1906)
Born in Detroit to Irish immigrant parents, Curtin came to Milwaukee in 1837 to join his mother’s family the Furlongs and settle on a farm in Greenfield. In the 1840’s the Curtins moved into this typically Irish stone house described in Curtin’s Memoirs. After his father’s death Jeremiah persevered in his love for learning and languages and graduated from Harvard College in 1863. His command of Russian won him a position in the U.S. Legation in St. Petersburg in 1864, thus launching his . . . — Map (db m34760) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greendale — 460 — Village of Greendale
Greendale was one of three Greenbelt towns constructed during the 1930’s. The main objectives were to demonstrate a planning concept combining the best of country and city living, to provide good housing for low income families, and to create construction jobs for the unemployed during the economic depression of the 1930’s. Government ownership ended in 1952 when the buildings were offered for sale to the residents. — Map (db m33210) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greendale — 279 — Wisconsin's Lime Industry
Lime production was an important nineteenth century industry in southeastern Wisconsin, primarily because the region’s geology provided abundant Silurian dolomite rock that was easily quarried. High quality lime, used mainly in mortar and plaster, was produced by burning dolomite in wood-fired stone kilns. Over one million barrels of lime were produced annually in the 1880’s, some shipped to surrounding states. Many of the lime manufacturers also quarried limestone used in building construction . . . — Map (db m37508) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 1992 NASCAR Champion
Alan Kulwicki was born in Greenfield, WI on Dec. 14, 1954, son of Jerry and Thelma Kulwicki. Alan held an engineering degree from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Alan started out on the short tracks of Wisconsin, moved up to ASA, then on to NASCAR where he became an owner and a driver. With Hooter’s restaurant as his main sponsor, Alan raced in 207 races earning 27 pole position awards, 75 top ten finishes, and 5 Winston Cup wins. He was NASCAR Winston Cup Rookie of the Year in . . . — Map (db m37506) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 93 — Bodamer Log Cabin
Built in 1832, this was one of Greenfield’s first log cabins. It was dismantled, brought to this site and restored by the Greenfield Historical Society, and dedicated as a museum September 7, 1969. — Map (db m32842) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 524 — Cold Spring Road
Side A In 1836, surveyors working for the U.S. General Land Office measured out the 6x6 mile grid of the future Town of Greenfield. Arterial roads and streets were later built at half-mile intervals following that pattern. In the days before road maps, streets were usually known by locally-used names, or given the names of streets extending out of Milwaukee to meet them. In 1930 a county-wide system of names and addresses was applied, and many streets received new designations. Cold . . . — Map (db m35083) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 341 — Greenfield: The Last Town in Milwaukee County
Following the end of World War II, Milwaukee’s rapid urban development forced the seven rural towns of Milwaukee County into annexation or incorporation. When Greenfield incorporated as a city in 1957, the last of Milwaukee County’s towns disappeared and with it ended the system of local town government Yankees brought to the area in the 1840s. Although Greenfield’s original plat of 36 square miles has been greatly reduced, this area has remained the center of civic activity for over 150 years. — Map (db m34761) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Greenfield — 448 — Janesville Plank Road
Side A: The Janesville Plank Road was one of 16 privately-owned toll roads authorized by Wisconsin’s Territorial legislature in 1848. The road was specified to follow a 65 mile route from Milwaukee through East Troy to Janesville. Its roadbed was built on the 1838 Janesville Territorial Road, which followed an Indian Trail extending southwestward from rice marshes near river mouths in the Milwaukee area to Janesville. (continued on other side) Side . . . — Map (db m33355) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Hales Corners — 1 — Hales Corners – A Crossroads Community
Native Americans were the earliest inhabitants of Hales Corners. In 1833 the Potawatomi, who possessed the land at the time, relinquished their rights in a treaty with the U.S. Government. Settlers soon came. Seneca Hale claimed land here in 1837 and began farming. In 1840 he and his wife, Helena, bought their 160 acre parcel (a full quarter section) for $1.25 per acre. Their land lay southwest of this point. William Hale, brother of Seneca, claimed the quarter section northwest of here in . . . — Map (db m76039) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Hales Corners — 10 — St. Mary’s Church and Cemetery
Saint Mary’s, the oldest church in the area, has a recorded history dating from 1842. At that time Father Patrick O’Kelley was the priest in attendance and a log church had been constructed on the present cemetery site. The second church, a frame structure which included living quarters for the pastor, served until 1893. Next the congregation erected a steepled brick church and used it for 67 years. A school was built in 1953, and in 1959 an addition to the school was begun which provided new . . . — Map (db m76063) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Hales Corners — 2 — The German Evangelical Church / Brach’s Animal Hospital
The German Evangelical Church The first Protestant church in hales Corners was founded here in 1888 on land purchased from William Cobb. Services were held in German until that language became unpopular during World War I. The minister at that time spoke no English and had to learn the new language before he could preach in it. In 1962 the old church, the animal hospital and the hospital annex which housed the post office, were razed and the present church erected. Brach’s Animal . . . — Map (db m76040) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Hales Corners — 3 — Turn of the Century Business District
Hales Corners grew into a Village after the Civil War. New homes & businesses were established along the Janesville Plank Road, the most important road in the Village. Adam Conrad erected an opera house at this approximate location on the “Plank Road” in the late 1800’s. It was used for events such as dances, movies and parties, but never for operas. Across the street between 10544 and 10432 W. Forest Home, several buildings remain from the same era though most have been . . . — Map (db m76062) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 63 — A.W. Rich Shoe Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places A.W. Rich Shoe Co. Designed by Robert Messmer & Co. Tour Site 63 1900 — Map (db m75402) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Abraham Lincoln
Abraham Lincoln 1809 – 1865 President, Emancipator, Martyr With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in; to bind up the Nation’s wounds; to care for him who shall have borne the battle. And for his widow, and his orphan – To do all which may achieve and cherish a just and lasting peace among ourselves, and with all nations. Second Inaugural Address March 4, 1865 . . . — Map (db m38434) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — All Saints Episcopal Cathedral Complex
Comprising the Cathedral (1868-69), former Guild Hall – Cathedral Institute (1891), former Bishop’s House (1902-03), and landscaped grounds. Designated as a Milwaukee landmark in 1974 in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m43011) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Allan H. Selig"Bud" — President of the Milwaukee Brewers 1970-1998 Ninth President of Major League Baseball
Returned Major League Baseball to his hometown in 1970 by founding the Milwaukee Brewers, the winners of the 1982 American League pennant. Selig, UPI's 1978 Executive of the Year, led the Brewers to seven "Organization of the Year" awards as the club featured homegrown Hall of Famers Robin Yount and Paul Molitor and fellow Cooperstown legends Henry Aaron, Rollie Fingers and Don Sutton. As Commissioner, Selig implemented popular structural changes including the Wild Card, the . . . — Map (db m36226) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 53 — American Candy CompanyHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 53
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Charles Crane Tour Site 53 1902 — Map (db m38544) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 57 — American Wholesale Grocery CompanyHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 57
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by William Kozik Tour Site 57 1925 — Map (db m38546) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Architectural Gems on the Riverfront
The Milwaukee County Historical Society (5 above) was built in 1913 to house the Second Ward Savings Bank. The triangular Beaux Arts limestone building is notable for its arched windows, Ionic columns and carved decorations. Milwaukee City Hall (6 above), a Flemish Renaissance landmark, was inspired by the German city halls of an earlier era. The wedge-shaped building's 350-foot tower made it the third tallest building in America upon completion in 1895. The Pabst Theater (7 above) was . . . — Map (db m38872) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — At the State Fair on these Grounds
At the State Fair on these Grounds In 1859 Near this Spot ABRAHAM LINCOLN Made an address This tablet as a reminder of that event was erected under the auspices of the Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee County in 1928 — Map (db m37602) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Automatic Temperature Control System1895 — Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark
Warren S. Johnson (1847-1911) built and patented the first multi-zone temperature control system that could be economically manufactured, installed and maintained. The Johnson Controls pneumatic temperature control system, represented by artifacts on display in this building, became the standard for commercial and public buildings throughout North America and helped launch the modern building controls industry. — Map (db m38669) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 14 — Baumbach BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Baumbach Building Designed by Eugene R. Liebert First occupant Cohen Bros., Clothiers Tour Site 14 1900 — Map (db m75405) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 372 — Bay View’s Immigrants
From a quiet mid 19th–century farming community to a bustling industrial center along Kinninckinnic Avenue in only twenty years, Bay View’s industrial transformation could not have occurred without the contributions of hundreds of immigrant workers who poured into the community’s foundries, brickyards, machine shops, tanneries and glass factory seeking employment in the last quarter of the 19th century. The first industrial workers in Bay View were recruited from Sheffield, England, for . . . — Map (db m34803) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 275 — Bay View's Rolling Mill
Near this site in Bay View stood the Milwaukee Iron Company rolling mill, the first major heavy industry in the region and an important producer of iron and steel for the Midwest. The mill, which opened in 1868, transformed ore from Dodge County and Lake Superior area mines into iron products including thousands of tons of rail for the region’s growing railroads.

By 1885, more than 1500 people were employed at the plant, some recruited from the iron-producing districts of the British . . . — Map (db m75452) HM

Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Birthplace of China-Burma-India Veterans Ass'n.1948 - 1963
On this site, August 28, 1948 was held the 1st CBI National reunion of World War II veterans who organized the CBIVA

This tablet dedicated May 18, 1963 — Map (db m45070) HM

Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Birthplace of the American League
The Republican House, a hotel that stood on this site from 1886 to 1961, was the birthplace of baseball’s American League. On the night of March 5, 1900, Milwaukee attorney Henry Killilea, his brother Matt, Connie Mack, Byron (Ban) Johnson, and Charles Comiskey gathered in Room 185. In defiance of the existing National League, Comiskey’s Chicago White Stockings (later Sox) were incorporated, and the league's eight team alignment was completed. After the 1900 season, the league reorganized, . . . — Map (db m30351) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Birthplace of the Department of Wisconsin American Legion1919 - 1937
On this site, September 3, 1919, was held the first caucus of World War veterans who organized the Department of Wisconsin of the American Legion John C. Davis First Department Commander This tablet dedicated August 8, 1937 — Map (db m40442) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 549 — Birthplace of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
On Christmas Day 1847, a group of German-speaking settlers, mostly from Pennsylvania, met and founded the German Evangelical Lutheran and Reformed Church of Granville Township. By June 1849, these settlers had built and dedicated a log church on a site just south of the West Granville Cemetery, eventually renaming the congregation Salem Lutheran Church. On December 8, 1849, three Lutheran pastors, John Muehlhaeuser of Grace Lutheran Church in Milwaukee, John Weinmann of St. John Lutheran Church . . . — Map (db m68205) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Blessed Virgin of Pompeii Church
West and across the street stood Milwaukee's first landmark, Blessed Virgin of Pompeii Church, built by the Italian community. Known as the Little Pink Church, 1904-1967. Blessed Virgin of Pompeii Church, built in 1904 as the first church edifice of the Milwaukee Italian community. Designated by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission as a Landmark of the City of Milwaukee, 1967. — Map (db m38477) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Borchert Field/The Milwaukee Bears Negro National League 1923
Borchert Field Borchert Field, home to Milwaukee professional baseball for over 60 years, was located between W. Burleigh, W. Chambers, N. 7th, and N. 8th Streets. Known originally as Athletic Park when it opened on May 20, 1888, the ballpark hosted the major league Brewers in 1891, the minor league Brewers from 1902 to 1952, the Negro National League Bears in 1923, and the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League Chicks in 1944. Marquette University and the NFL’s Milwaukee Badgers . . . — Map (db m35200) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 34 — Bradley & Metcalf Shoe Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Bradley & Metcalf Shoe Co. Designed by W.A. Holbrook Tour Site 34 1894 — Map (db m75379) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Brig. Gen. Rufus King’s Home
Built in 1838, the general’s 2-story wooden house on the northeast corner of Mason and Van Buren lent this intersection the name “King’s Corner.” It was razed in 1915. Rufus King (1814-1876) came to Milwaukee in 1845, was editor of the Milwaukee Sentinel and Gazette, a member of the 1848 Wisconsin Constitutional Convention, the superintendent of Milwaukee’s public schools, a UW regent, the organizer and commander of the famed “Iron Brigade” during the Civil War and U.S. Minister to Rome. — Map (db m38787) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 11 — Broadway Produce Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Broadway Produce Co. Designed by A.C. Runzler Tour Site 11 1937 — Map (db m50522) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 311 — Captain Frederick Pabst(1836 – 1904)
Of German birth, Pabst became a ship's captain in the 1850s and moved to Milwaukee in the 1860s. He later joined his father-in-law's brewery (founded 1844), which was renamed the Pabst Brewery in 1889. By the 1890s it was the world's largest lager beer brewery, and he was Milwaukee's leading citizen. The Captain's elegant Flemish Renaissance Revival mansion was designed by George Bowman Ferry and constructed on fashionable Grand Avenue 1890-93. Its pavilion housed the Pabst Brewery . . . — Map (db m8306) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Carferry SS MilwaukeeHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: railroad carferry, steel hull Built: 1903, American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, Ohio Sank: October 22, 1929 Lives Lost: 40-50 Length: 388’ Beam: 56’ Cargo: train cars (loaded), tubs, mixed freight, 3 automobiles Propulsion: triple expansion steam engine, twin screw (propeller) Depth of wreckage: 125’ The 338-foot railroad carferry SS Milwaukee was launched as the Manistique Marquette and Northern #1 in 1903. She was designed by the famed marine architect Robert Logan . . . — Map (db m42299) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 265 — Carl Frederick ZeidlerJanuary 4, 1908 – November 7, 1942
Milwaukee born and educated, lawyer Carl F. Zeidler became Milwaukee’s 33rd mayor in April, 1940, when he defeated Daniel W. Hoan, Socialist mayor since 1916. In April, 1942, Zeidler left office to enter service as a U.S. Navy Lieutenant (j.g.). On the night of November 7, 1942, the merchant ship “LaSalle,” on which he commanded a gunnery crew, was torpedoed off Capetown, South Africa, with the loss of all hands. — Map (db m37268) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 206 — Carl Sandburg Hall
Carl Sandburg (1878-1967), poet, balladeer, biographer of Lincoln, soldier in the Spanish-American War, came from Illinois to Wisconsin in December 1907 as a state organizer for the Social-Democratic party in eastern Wisconsin. After marrying Lillian Steichen of Menomonee Falls in 1908, he travelled the state with the Debs “Red Special” presidential campaign train, worked for the Wisconsin Anti-Tuberculosis Association, Kroeger’s department store, and several Milwaukee newspapers . . . — Map (db m32619) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 31 — Cawker BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Cawker Building First occupant Landauer & Co. Dry Goods & Notions Tour Site 31 1895 — Map (db m75378) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Central Library
Erected in 1898 from the award-winning design of Ferry and Clas. Designated as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee 1969 by Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m56307) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Charles Allis House
Designed by A.C. Eschweiler, erected in 1909, and designated in 1972 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m66660) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 288 — Civil War Camp
Near here a Civil War training camp was built in August 1861. Named Camp Holton, Camp Sigel and finally Camp Reno, its boundaries were Prospect and Bartlett Avenues and Lafayette and Royall Places. Six Wisconsin infantry regiments, almost 7,000 men, were mustered in and equipped for the Union Army here. Two other Civil War posts, Camps Scott and Washburn, were on the city’s west side. — Map (db m37272) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 47 — Clemens H. Kalvelage WarehouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Clemens H. Kalvelage Warehouse Designed by Carl Ringer Tour Site 47 1911 — Map (db m75382) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 55 — Cohen Brothers Manufacturing Company, ClothiersHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 55
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Charles Crane Tour Site 55 1910 — Map (db m38547) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — College Women's Club
Erected in 1875, restored in 1965, and designated in 1968 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m44347) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Court House Square
Donated, in 1837, by Solomon Juneau & Morgan L. Martin, for a public recreation spot. The people of Milwaukee owe a debt of everlasting gratitude to these public-spirited pioneers. — Map (db m73301) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 9 — E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission HouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places E.R. Godfrey & Sons Co. Commission House Tour Site 9 1911 — Map (db m50521) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Edward Diederichs House"The Lion House"
Designed by the firm of Mygatt and Schmidtner in 1855 for Edward Diederichs, this ante-bellum residence was badly damaged by fire and rebuilt in 1859. In 1895, the structure was enlarged with the addition of a second floor designed by architect Howland Russel. The two craved lions for which the building is named were original features of the house that were replicated in 1985. Designated 3-19-87 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m54652) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 59 — Edward Rohnert Coffee Roasting FactoryHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Edward Rohnert Coffee Roasting Factory Designed by Robert Messmer Tour Site 59 1913 — Map (db m75401) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 182 — Erastus B. Wolcott, M.D(1804 – 1880)
Dr. Erastus B. Wolcott was an originator of the idea for a national soldier’s home in Milwaukee. A spirited leader in medicine, business and government, he was state surgeon-general during the Civil War and an ardent advocate for what is now the Veterans Administration Hospital at Wood. The hospital was established in 1867 and Dr. Wolcott was appointed by Congress to the national governing board. Dr. Wolcott was a founder of the State Medical Society in 1841 and the Medical Society of . . . — Map (db m31185) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Every Building Tells a Story
The adjacent Mitchell and Mackie Buildings were commissioned by local tycoon, Alexander Mitchell. The Mitchell Building (16 above), one of America's finest examples of French Second Empire architecture, was built in 1876 on the site of pioneer Solomon Juneau's second house. The Italian Renaissance Mackie Building (15 above), completed in 1879, once housed the world's largest grain exchange. The First National Bank Building at 735 N. Water St. (12 above) was designed by renowned architect . . . — Map (db m38881) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 21 — F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places F. Mayer Boot & Shoe Co. Designed by Schnetzky & Son — Map (db m74499) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 103 — Father Marquette's Camp - 1674
Father Jacques Marquette, the French Jesuit missionary who with Sieur Louis Jolliet discovered and first explored the upper Mississippi in 1673, stayed on this site November 23-27, 1674. Marquette, with two French Canadians, Pierre Porteret and Jacques Largillier, was returning south to open a mission requested by the Illinois Indians. They were the first known white men to visit this site. — Map (db m30169) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Federal Building - U.S. Courthouse
Designed by W.J. Edbrooke, erected in 1892-99, and designated in 1972 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m43839) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 293 — First African-American Church Built in Wisconsin
St. Mark African Methodist Episcopal Church, the first African-American church built in Wisconsin, once stood on this site. The property was purchased in 1869, the year the congregation was organized. Construction on the St. Mark A.M.E. church began in November 1886, under the direction of Rev. William R. Alexander, Pastor. Dedicatory services were held on April 3, 1887. The St. Mark congregation spent 43 years at this site, during which time the membership grew and the church, known as the . . . — Map (db m35201) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — First Court House
On This Site Stood the First Court House 1836-1870 First Jail 1836-1847 First County Offices 1844-1870 Second Jail 1847-1870 This tablet erected by Milwaukee County under direction of the Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee County — Map (db m32744) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 131 — First Milwaukee Cargo Pier
Near here, at the foot of Huron (now Clybourn) Street, the first cargo pier in Milwaukee harbor was built by Horatio Stevens, Richard Owens, Amos Tufts and J.G. Kendall during the winter of 1842-43. The first vessel to dock at North Pier was the CLEVELAND, under command of Captain M. Hazard on June 1, 1843. The pier, 1200 feet long and 44 feet wide, with a freight shed at the end and a warehouse and tollgate at the entrance, permitted the unloading of freight and passengers from large . . . — Map (db m31137) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 16 — Fred Vogel Jr. BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Fred Vogel Jr. Building Designed by C.F. Ringer First occupant Beals & Torrey Shoe Co. Tour Site 16 1896 — Map (db m75393) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 30 — Friend & Marks Co., ClothiersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Friend & Marks Co., Clothiers Designed by Buemming & Dick Tour Site 30 1906 — Map (db m75388) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 58 — G. Patek WarehouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places G. Patek Warehouse Designed by A.C. Eschweiler First Occupant Columbia Knitting Co. Tour Site 58 1904 — Map (db m75400) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Garden Homes
The first municipally-supported housing project in the United States, developed in 1921-23, and designated as a Milwaukee landmark in 1974 in recognition of its historical and architectural significance. — Map (db m70601) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 221 — General Mitchell Field
On October 29, 1926, Milwaukee County purchased the flying field which Thomas Hamilton had established in 1920 on East Layton Avenue in connection with his propeller business. Northwest Airways inaugurated scheduled passenger service here on July 5, 1927, and that year Hamilton began production of an all metal passenger transport plane adopted by many early airlines. Kohler Aviation Corporation provided the missing link in Milwaukee’s air network by initiating passenger service across . . . — Map (db m38870) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — George Washington1732-1932
The people of Milwaukee have planted these trees, living memorials, as a tribute of affection and gratitude to George Washington The Father of Our Country Heroic General - Patriotic Statesman Virtuous Sage The fruit of his labors and his example are America's most cherished inheritance. — Map (db m73864) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 27 — George Ziegler & Co. Candy ManufacturersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places George Ziegler & Co. Candy Manufacturers Designed by H.D. Schnetzky Tour Site 27 1890 — Map (db m75391) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Gertie
On September 25, 1997 Eppstein Uhen Architects-Milwaukee, presented this replica of "Gertie" to the City of Milwaukee, in appreciation of their 90 year partnership. Gertie is the mallard that captivated the City and the Nation in 1945. Replacement of the Wisconsin Avenue Bridge pilings were postponed when it was discovered that Gertie had made a home for her future family under this bridge. Gertie diverted attention as the world watched and awaited the arrival of this Mother's ducklings. At . . . — Map (db m38656) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 256 — Golda Meir1898-1978
The UWM Library is named for Golda Meir. Born Goldie Mabowehz in the Ukraine, she migrated to Milwaukee in 1906, was educated at Fourth Street School, North Division High School, and in present Mitchell Hall of Milwaukee Normal School (1916-17). She and husband Morris Meyerson settled in Palestine in 1921. There she helped found the Israel Labor Party, held high political and governmental posts, and eventually became Prime Minister (1969-74). — Map (db m32664) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Golda Meir 1898 - 1978Prime Minister of Israel 1969 -1974
Golda Meir was a student in this school

It was here that she learned the values she carried with her through her life

Golda taught us all the importance of having a vision of what our lives can be

May the teachers and the students of this school be an honor to her memory! — Map (db m45199) HM

Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 22 — Goll & Frank Co. Notions and Dry GoodsHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Goll & Frank Co. Notions & dry goods Designed by Ferry & Clas 1896 — Map (db m75392) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 4 — Goodyear Tire & Rubber CompanyHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company Tour Site 4 1915 — Map (db m50063) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Green Bay Road
Green Bay Road —— Pioneer Road Chicago to Green Bay —— Established by the Federal Government 1832 Wis. Society of Chicago Map (db m66621) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 60 — Hambach Store and ResidenceHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Hambach Store & Residence Designed by Carl Etzel Tour Site 60 1895 — Map (db m75399) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 45 — Hansen Storage Co. Warehouse #2Historic Third Ward
This propertyy has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Hansen Storage Co. Warehouse #2 Architect Unknown Tour Site 45 c. 1904 — Map (db m74764) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Henry Aaron"Hank" — Milwaukee Braves 1954-65 Milwaukee Brewers 1975-76
Baseball's all-time home run king with 755 career home runs Major League leader in total bases, extra base hits and runs batted in Began his 23-year career with the Milwaukee Braves in 1954 Led the Braves to the World Championship in 1957 National League "Most Valuable Player" in 1957 Hit 40 or more home runs in a season 8 times Won a pair of batting titles and was a 3-time gold glove outfielder 24-time all star Ninth player to collect 3,000 career hits Hit 755th home run at . . . — Map (db m36188) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeWest Wisconsin Avenue
In the mid 1800s, many well-known Milwaukeeans built mansions along what is now Wisconsin Avenue. The first, and one of the few remaining, was built by Alexander Mitchell in 1848. Mitchell (1817-1887), reputedly 19th century Wisconsin’s richest man, made his fortune in banking, insurance and railroads. His son, John, was a U.S. Congressman and Senator, and his grandson was the famous aviator Billy Mitchell. In 1898, what is now the Wisconsin Club purchased the property from the Mitchell estate. . . . — Map (db m56378) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeWest Wisconsin Avenue
In 1893, Milwaukee held a national competition to select architects for the city’s first public library and museum (now the Central Library). The prominent local firm Ferry and Clas was chosen. The resulting design reflected an emerging national trend toward monumental classical public buildings in the eclectic manner of the Ecole des Beaux-Arts. Built in 1895-99, the original U-shaped structure had an open court on the north end. Subsequent additions over the next 50 years doubled the . . . — Map (db m56379) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
Between 1870 and 1900, Milwaukee’s economy expanded beyond processing the region’s agricultural products to include large-scale heavy industry. This led to an expansion of established businesses including banking, insurance, commission trading and wholesaling, as well as government offices. Northwestern National Life Insurance Company was incorporated in 1869 to protect property owners and lake shippers against financial losses due to fire and marine disasters. The initial incorporators . . . — Map (db m56397) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
In this east-of-the-river locale then known as Juneautown, the first stage of development transformed a wilderness into a village—in less that a decade. The area was still swampy, rugged forest in the early 1830s. Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee’s first settler and one of Milwaukee’s first developers, surveyed and platted the land. In 1836, he hired New York native Nelson Olin to grade Wisconsin Avenue from the river to the lake for $3,000. After a trip back to New York for oxen, scrapers, . . . — Map (db m56398) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
The eastern edge of downtown Milwaukee, the lakeshore itself, was very close to this spot until the early 20th century. If you were standing here before 1917 you would be standing very near the water’s edge. Between 1917 and 1937, Milwaukee filled in over 77 acres of submerged land to create the downtown lakefront. The Chicago & Northwestern Railway Station was a landmark at the east end of Wisconsin Avenue from its construction in 1889 until its demolition in 1968. The Richardsonian . . . — Map (db m56832) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
Milwaukee was a large city in 1859, but large is relative. With 45,000 residents, pigs still roamed the city’s gravel streets. Most of downtown was residential, with the business district clustered at Wisconsin Avenue and the Milwaukee River. But Milwaukee was growing up, and life, health and property insurance was becoming increasingly important. Northwestern Mutual Insurance was founded when “Northwest” meant “Midwest.” Entrepreneur and promoter John C. Johnson . . . — Map (db m58166) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeNorth Plankinton Avenue
Picture Milwaukee in 1835. Potawatomi and Menomonee tribal lands had been ceded by treaty to the federal government in 1831 and 1833, and the land made available for sale. By 1835 there were 125 hardy settlers living in log cabins and claim shanties clustered along the riverbank at East Wisconsin Avenue and at 3rd Street and Juneau Avenue. By 1840, the population had grown to 1,692—mostly Yankees from New York State and New England. Development on West Wisconsin Avenue (then Spring . . . — Map (db m58168) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Historic MilwaukeeEast Wisconsin Avenue
In the early 1800s, a young French Canadian named Solomon Juneau came to work in Milwaukee and met and married his boss’s daughter, Josette Vieau, who was of French and Menominee ancestry. The couple built a cabin for their family on the northwest corner of Water Street and Wisconsin Avenue. At least 13 of their children survived infancy. Juneau purchased 133 acres in the heart of Milwaukee’s downtown for $165.81 in 1835, dirt cheap even then. The earliest structures, a random jumble of . . . — Map (db m58169) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 18 — Hoffmann & Sons Co. GrocersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Hoffman & Sons Co. Grocers Designed by Ferry and Clas Tour Site 18 1906 — Map (db m75394) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Immanuel Presbyterian Church
Erected in 1873 and designated in 1969 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m42572) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — In Honor of the 1901 Milwaukee Brewers of the American League
[Front of Marker:] In 1900, the American League was born in a Milwaukee hotel named the Republican House. The following year, during the 1901 inaugural season, the Milwaukee Brewers were one of eight teams to participate in Major League Baseball's "Junior Circuit." The Brewers played their home games at the Lloyd Street Grounds, which was located on the city's north side (Lloyd St. & 16th St). Player/Manager Hugh Duffy batted .302 that season and was later inducted into the National . . . — Map (db m36223) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — In Honor of the Men and Women of the 25th Ward1941 - 1945
In Honor of the Men and Women of the 25th Ward who served their country in World War II Dedicated May 26th 1946 A.D. — Map (db m45196) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — In memory of Franklin Van ValkenburghCaptain U.S.N.
Killed while commanding his ship U.S.S. Arizona at Pearl Harbor T.H. December 7, 1941 — Map (db m70912) WM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Indian Village Site
This spot, in 1833, was the site of an Indian village under the Potawatomi chief Kenozhoym, or “Lake Pickerel.” The village was located near a clear spring, at the foot of a steep bluff, atop which were more wigwams and an Indian cemetery. A wild rice swamp lay east of the village; to the north, as far as Juneau Avenue, stretched a swamp of cedar and tamarack, which was often submerged in six or seven feet of water. The village was vacated in 1838, when the last of the Potawatomi . . . — Map (db m56265) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 43 — Invention of the Typewriter
At 318 State Street, approximately 300 feet northeast of here, C. Latham Sholes perfected the first practical typewriter in September, 1869. Here he worked during the summer with Carlos Glidden, Samuel W. Soule, & Matthias Schwalbach in the machine shop of C.F. Kleinsteuber. During the next six years, money for the further development of the typewriter was advanced by James Densmore, who later gained the controlling interest and sold it to E. Remington & Sons of Ilion, N.Y. — Map (db m31124) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Iron Block
Designed by George H. Johnson, erected in 1860-61, and designated in 1973 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community and the nation. — Map (db m66661) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Jacques Vieau, in 1795
On this site the first permanent fur trader Jacques Vieau, in 1795 built his cabin, the first house in Milwaukee Here also was the crossing of the Green Bay–Chicago Trail This tablet was erected under the auspices of the Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee County 1925 — Map (db m53335) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Jason Downer House
Designed by Edward Townsend Mix, erected in 1874 for Judge Jason Downer, and designated in 1974 as a Milwaukee landmark in recognition of its historical and architectural significance to the community. — Map (db m43840) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 10 — Jewett & Sherman Co. Merchant MillHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Tour Site 10 1875 — Map (db m74171) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 12 — Kalvelage Wholesale Commission HouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Carl Ringer & Son Tour Site 12 c. 1909 — Map (db m74173) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 32 — Keenan BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Keenan Building 5th floor addition by H.W. Buemming, 1908 Firstoccupant Mendel, Smith & Co., Grocers Tour Site 32 1889 — Map (db m75386) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 333 — Kilbourntown
In this vicinity, Kilbourntown, one of the three original Milwaukee settlements, was founded by surveyor and land speculator Byron Kilbourn in 1835. Kilbourntown’s first residents were entrepreneurs from the East. In 1839, a small group of German immigrants from Pomerania arrived in Kilbourntown, heralding a major 19th century immigration of German settlers. Concentrated in Kilbourntown, this German population helped Milwaukee become the “most German city” in the United States. By . . . — Map (db m37262) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Kilbourntown House
Built about 1844 by Benjamin Church, a pioneer carpenter and builder, in the Kilbourntown section of early Milwaukee. With its clean lines and fluted Doric columns, the house is an excellent example of Greek Revival architecture. Its construction featured the use of hand-hewn timbers of oak and elm. The exterior walls are lined with brick for insulation and strength. In 1938, Kilbourntown House was moved to this site from its original location near Fourth and Court Streets through the . . . — Map (db m47857) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Lake Park
Lake Park Designed by Frederick Law Olmsted 1892-1895 Added to the National Register of Historic Places By the United States Department of the Interior 1993 — Map (db m73835) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — LeClaire's Trading Post
The first house on the east side of Milwaukee was built on this site in the year 1800 by Antoine LeClaire as a trading post, the log house shown on the left of this view: The log cabin, stockade and store on the right were erected by Solomon Juneau in 1825 In 1835 Juneau built a large warehouse which in 1851 was replaced by Ludington's brick block and the latter by the present building in 1891 This tablet was erected under the supervision of the Old Settlers . . . — Map (db m38651) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Lincoln's Gettysburg Address
Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal. Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battlefield of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might . . . — Map (db m38459) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 411 — Mabel Wanda Raimey1898 - 1986
Mabel Raimey was the first African-American woman attorney in Wisconsin and the first to graduate from the University of Wisconsin-Madison (1918). She attended Marquette University Law School and was admitted to the Wisconsin Bar in 1927. An original Milwaukee Urban League Board member, Raimey was also a founder of the Northside YWCA and Epsilon Kappa Omega Chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc. She was a trustee of the West Allis Tabernacle Baptist Church. The Milwaukee Chapter of the . . . — Map (db m33356) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 254 — MacArthur Square
MacArthur Square was designated on September 17, 1945 to honor General of the Army Douglas MacArthur for his leadership of Allied forces in the Pacific during World War II. MacArthur, his father General Arthur MacArthur, and his grandfather Judge Arthur MacArthur, were all residents of Milwaukee. Douglas lived at the Plankinton House and attended West Division High School. In 1898 he was appointed to the U.S. Military Academy by Milwaukee Congressman Theobald Otjen. Douglas MacArthur’s final . . . — Map (db m32194) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 41 — Marine Terminal BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Marine Terminal Building Designed by Albert Hecht Tour Site 41 1917-18 — Map (db m75380) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Matthew Keenan House
This Italianate double house was erected in 1860 for Matthew Keenan, prominent businessman and civic leader, and was designated as a Milwaukee Landmark in 1974 in recognition of its historical and architectural significance to the community. — Map (db m54651) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 19 — Mercantile BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Mercantile Building Built by Original Owner Alfred Uihlein Tour Site 19 1908 — Map (db m75395) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 354 — Merrill Park
In 1879, Sherburn S. Merrill, the General Manager of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railroad, purchased almost half a square mile in the Menomonee Valley to construct a massive railroad shop complex. By the early 1880s, the railroad company employed over 2500 workers. To provide housing for these workers, Merrill created “Merrill Park” in 1883, a housing development between 27th and 35th streets. Desiring a “respectable” neighborhood, Merrill placed deed . . . — Map (db m34802) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee County War Memorial
Dedicated on November 11, 1957, to forever honor the men and women who served in the United States Armed Forces to protect and preserve our freedom, especially those who gave their lives. [Inside the building] Milwaukee County War Memorial Center Designed by Eero Saarinen, dedicated in 1957, and designated as a Milwaukee Landmark in 1974. In recognition of its architectural and cultural significance to the community. — Map (db m38431) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 36 — Milwaukee Fire Department Engine House #15Historic Third Ward Walking Tour Site 36
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Charles E. Malig Tour Site 36 1915 — Map (db m38509) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 51 — Milwaukee Fire Dept. Engine Co. #10Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Milwaukee Fire Dept. Engine Co. #10 Architect unknown Tour Site 51 1893 — Map (db m74611) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 234 — Milwaukee Interurban Terminal1905 - 1951
The Milwaukee Electric Railway and Light Company opened its terminal here in 1905. The first car entered this building January 1, 1905. The first floor was the terminal area, with two waiting rooms and thirteen car tracks; it was then the largest terminal of its kind in the United States. At one time the system extended west to Watertown, north to Sheboygan, south to Kenosha, and southwest to Burlington and East Troy. The final line was abandoned June 30, 1951. — Map (db m33477) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee News Bldg. & Milwaukee Abstract Assn. Bldg.222 East Mason Street
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places March 1, 1982 The State Historical Society of Wisconsin In Association with the U.S. Department of Interior — Map (db m58170) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee River Flushing Pump1888 — National Historic Mechanical Engineering Landmark
This pump, designed by Edwin Reynolds (1831-1909) and built by the Edward P. Allis Company, is the major component of one of the earliest water-pollution control systems. It was capable of pumping more than a half billion gallons of water a day, the highest-capacity pump in the world when installed. It still is used during the summer to pump water from Lake Michigan into the Milwaukee River upstream of the downtown area. This maintains a current in the lower portion of the river and greatly reduces the concentration of pollutants. — Map (db m56904) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 39 — Milwaukee Terminal BuildingHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 39
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Herman Esser Tour Site 39 c.1920 — Map (db m38527) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 147 — Milwaukee-Downer College
On September 14, 1848, Mrs. William L. Parsons, the wife of a Congregational minister, opened the Milwaukee Female Seminary at the corner of Milwaukee and East Wells. Three years later it was chartered by the Legislature, thus placing Wisconsin in the vanguard of education at a time when colleges for women were almost unknown. A new building was erected at 1120 North Milwaukee Street. In 1855 the Wisconsin Female College, later named Downer College, was chartered at Fox Lake. Both schools . . . — Map (db m32667) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee-Downer College Buildings
This set of four buildings, including Merrill, Johnston, and Holton Halls and Greene Memorial Library, designed by A. C. Eschweiler and erected in 1897–1905, was designated as a Milwaukee Landmark in 1973 in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m59605) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee's Bridge War
The three original founders of Milwaukee each led separate settlements, with the Milwaukee River serving as the key border between them. Solomon Juneau's Juneautown was on the east, Byron Kilbourn's Kilbourntown on the west and George Walker's Walker's Point on the south. The rivalry between Juneautown and Kilbountown for settlers and development was particularly bitter. Kilbourn deliberately arranged the street grids on the west so they would never match the grids across the river, causing . . . — Map (db m38819) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee's Last Operating Tower Clock
Milwaukee's Last Operating Tower Clock at South 16th and West Washington Streets donated to the Milwaukee Public Museum by Thomas Bliffert and re-erected on 4 October 1972 — Map (db m44592) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Milwaukee's Miraculous Mallard
In the spring of 1945, the image of a mallard duck named Gertie nesting atop a rotting oak piling in downtown Milwaukee helped cheer a weary nation during the final days of World War II. The Milwaukee Journal published 37 stories about Gertie that spring, dubbing her tale, "the sweetest story ever told." Six ducklings and one Life Magazine cover story later, Gertie and her brood charmed bustling Milwaukee to a near standstill. The city postponed a major construction project to protect . . . — Map (db m38839) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Mitchell Building
The first house on this corner was Solomon Juneau's residence, built in -1835. The Wisconsin Marine and Fire Insurance Co. and its successor, the Marine National Bank occupied this site from -1846-to-1930. The present building was erected in -1876 by Alexander Mitchell. — Map (db m38589) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Mitchell Park
Five acres of the park were donated to the public by former United States Senator John L. Mitchell, a native and public spirited citizen of Milwaukee. — Map (db m53336) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 56 — Monarch Manufacturing Co., ClothiersHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 56
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Martin Tullgren & Sons Tour Site 56 1917 — Map (db m38567) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 52 — Mrs. Isabella Ryder BuildingHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Mrs. Isabella Ryder Building Designed by Schnetzky & Liebert First Occupant Milwaukee Mirror & Art Glass Works Tour Site 52 1893 — Map (db m74610) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 17 — National Distilling Co.
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places National Distilling Co. Designed by Crane & Barthausen Tour Site 17 1893 — Map (db m75397) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — National Home for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers
The National Asylum for Disabled Volunteer Soldiers was established by Congressional legislation and approved by President Abraham Lincoln on March 3, 1865. Its purpose was "...to care for him who shall have borne the battle..." as stated in President Lincoln's second inaugural address. In fall of 1866, Milwaukee was designated as the site of the Northwestern Branch, one of the three original Homes. An estimated 60 soldiers moved from the temporary Milwaukee Soldiers Home on West Water Street . . . — Map (db m38447) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 287 — National Soldiers Home
The Wisconsin Soldiers’ Home Association was formed in 1864 by a coalition of women’s charitable organizations led by Lydia Hewitt, Hannah Vedder, and Mrs. E. L. Buttrick of Milwaukee. The Association raised funds to endow a hospital where sick and wounded Civil War soldiers could receive medical treatment and long-term domiciliary care. After securing a state appropriation of $5000, the Association staged a spectacular public event known as the Soldiers’ Home Fair, which opened in Milwaukee on . . . — Map (db m38958) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Nearly a Century of Planning
Early in the 20th century, architect Alfred C. Clas imagined the riverfront as a European-style destination for recreation and a source of beauty at the heart of downtown. In 1914, Clas, a proponent of the "City Beautiful" movement to improve architecture, landscaping and urban planning in American cities, advocated narrowing the River to a canal. He proposed building underground subway tunnels covered by broad, leafy walkways and orienting new buildings toward the water. But Clas's dream . . . — Map (db m38863) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 535 — North Point Light Station
The North Point Light Station has a long history of guiding mariners to Milwaukee. Its location was chosen to mark the north point of Milwaukee Bay. Erected in 1887 and first lit in 1888, the 39-foot octagonal cast-iron tower replaced an 1855 cream-city brick lighthouse built too close to the eroding bluff. The Queen Anne–style keeper’s dwelling was built at the same time. In 1912 the tower was almost doubled to its present height of 74 feet by lifting the existing tower atop a new . . . — Map (db m48408) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 214 — North Point Lighthouse
Milwaukee’s first lighthouse was erected in 1837 on a 56 foot bluff at the east end of Wisconsin Ave. It was replaced in 1855 by a 28 foot tower 100 feet east of the present location. Erosion forced the rebuilding in the 1870’s and relocation inland. Construction was entirely of bolted cast iron sections. In 1912, a steel plate lower section was built and the iron tower placed on top, giving the light a height of 160 feet above the lake. The first lantern burned mineral oil. A new lens, . . . — Map (db m34766) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Northwestern National Insurance Company
Erected in 1906 and designated in 1970 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m56578) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 8 — O.C. Hansen Glove and Mitten Mfg. Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places O.C. Hansen Glove and Mitten Mfg. Co. Designed by Ferry and Clas Tour Site 8 1911 — Map (db m50520) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 48 — O.R. Pieper Co. GrocersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places O.R. Pieper Co., Grocers Designed by Ringer & Son Tour Site 48 1907 — Map (db m75384) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 201 — Old North Point Water Tower
The 1871 Wisconsin legislature authorized the City of Milwaukee to finance and build a public water system. By 1873 the Board of Water Commissioners had constructed the old North Point Pumping Station below the bluff with intake from Lake Michigan, this tower, a reservoir a mile west, and 55 miles of water mains delivering cheap, plentiful, pure water to Milwaukee’s people and industry. This 175 foot Victorian Gothic Tower, designed by Charles A. Gombert and made of cut Niagara limestone . . . — Map (db m34765) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Old St. Mary's Church
Here have I stood these hundred years Asking the busy passer-by Whether he carries - even as I - Christ in his heart Centennial of Old Saint Mary's 1946 --------- Erected in 1846 and designated in 1970 as a Landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community — Map (db m38617) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 57 — Oneida Street StationT.M.E.R. & L. Co. — (Now Wisconsin Electric Power Co.)
In this station pulverized coal was first successfully burned continuously and at high efficiencies in furnaces of stationary steam boilers November 11-15, 1919. This radical departure from conventional firing methods of the period was vigorously opposed by some engineers during its early stages. It soon let with local, national and international acceptance, and has resulted in great benefits to mankind through reduced cost of electric power and conservation of fuel resources. — Map (db m33475) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 7 — Otto Kuehn Leaf Tobacco WarehouseHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Otto Kuehn Leaf Tobacco Warehouse Tour Site 7 1907 — Map (db m50065) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 37 — Pabst Brewing Company Saloon & Boarding HouseHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 37
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Charles F. Peters Tour Site 37 1904 — Map (db m38516) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 309 — Pabst Theater
Designed by Otto Strack and built by Milwaukee brewing magnate Captain Frederick Pabst, the Pabst Theater was constructed on the site of an earlier opera house destroyed by fire in 1895. The Pabst was completed in just six months and opened on November 9, 1895. One of the first all-electric theaters, the Pabst also included such innovations as air conditioning and fire-proof construction. The Pabst was home to one of the finest German theater companies in the United States and epitomized German . . . — Map (db m32367) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 25 — Patek Brothers, Paint, Oil & Glass ManufacturersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Patek Brothers paint, oil & glass manufacturers Designed by Schnetzky & Son Tour Site 25 1914-15 — Map (db m75389) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Pere Marquette Historic Site
Designated as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in 1972, commemorating the place where Father Marquette, French Jesuit missionary, explorer of the Mississippi Valley and Lake Michigan, camped with two companions on November 23-27, 1674. — Map (db m36366) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 1 — Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #4Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #4 Designed by O.C. Uehling Tour Site 1 c. 1917 — Map (db m49784) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 3 — Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #6Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Phoenix Knitting Co. Plant #6 Designed by Lockwood & Green Co. Tour Site 3 1922 — Map (db m49786) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 64 — Phoenix Knitting Plant #3Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Phoenix Knitting Plant #3 Designed by Birchoff & Rose Tour Site 64 1915 — Map (db m74589) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 54 — Phoenix Knitting WorksHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 54
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Uehling & Linde Tour Site 54 1902 — Map (db m38545) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Prehistoric Burial Mound
The last of a group of Indian Mounds formerly located on a Stone Age village site near this spot and destroyed in recent years. Several were of larger size. Also the last of many fine groups of burial, linear, and animal shaped mounds formerly located within the present limits of the City of Milwaukee. Marked by Board of Park Commissioners at request of The Wisconsin Archeological Society — Map (db m68031) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — R. D. Whitehead Monument
(bronze plaque) Originally a horse watering trough Erected in 1910 Restored as a fountain in 1966 by the Mayor’s Beautification Committee Designated a Milwaukee Landmark in 1974 in recognition of its historical significance to the community (stone mounument) Erected by R.D. Whitehead Supt. The Badger State Humane Society in remembrance of my faithful friends. Horse: George Dogs: Jim, Flora, Dandy, Pet, Punch, Judy, & Shorty Cats: Frank & Henry . . . — Map (db m55263) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 463 — Rescue of Joshua Glover
Joshua Glover was a runaway slave who sought freedom in Racine in 1852. In 1854, his Missouri owner used the Fugitive Slave Act to apprehend him. This 1850 law permitted slave catchers to cross state lines to captured escaped slaves. Glover was taken to Milwaukee and imprisoned. Word spread about Glover’s incarceration and a great crowd gathered around the jail demanding his release. They beat down the jail door and released Joshua Glover. He was eventually escorted to Canada and safety. . . . — Map (db m33013) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Robin Yount"The Kid" — Milwaukee Brewers 1974-1993
Two-time American League Most Valuable Player Became the 17th player to collect 3,000 career hits Brewers all-time leader in nearly every offensive department Ranks among baseball's elite in at bats, games and doubles One of only three players to earn MVP honors at two different positions One of the youngest players to break into the Majors First shortstop to lead the A.L. in slugging and total bases in the same season First shortstop to bat .300 with 20+ homers and 100+ RBI in . . . — Map (db m36225) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Roman Catholic Church of the Gesu
Designed by Henry C. Koch and Co., dedicated in 1894, and designated in 1975 as a Milwaukee landmark in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the city. — Map (db m43014) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 15 — Roundy, Peckham & Dexter Co. GrocersHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Roundy, Peckham & Dexter Co. Grocers Designed by Howland Russel Tour Site 15 1895 — Map (db m75398) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 2 — S. Heller Elevator CompanyHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places S. Heller Elevator Company Tour Site 2 1908 — Map (db m49785) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 24 — S. Jung Company Liquor WholesaleHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places S. Jung Company Liquor Wholesale Tour Site 24 1906 — Map (db m75387) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Saint James Court
This property has been listed by the United States Department of Interior in the National Register of Historic Places This Neo-Classical Beaux Arts-influenced building was designed in 1895 by the prominent Milwaukee architectural firm of Ferry and Clas. The design references certain concepts of the “City Beautiful” movement such as downtown urban living, electric street lighting, streetcars, and pedestrian conveniences. These City Beautiful concepts were featured at the World’s . . . — Map (db m75413) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Saint John Cathedral
The first church built in Wisconsin specifically as a Roman Catholic Cathedral, dedicated in 1853, and designated in 1974 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. Original Cornerstone inscription: 2nd Sunday of Advent, December Ninth 1847 This property has been place on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38433) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 155 — Saint John's InfirmaryWisconsin’s First Public Hospital – 1848
Founded May 15, 1848, with the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent de Paul providing direction and nursing, St. John’s Infirmary offered Wisconsin’s first public hospital care under the supervision of the patient’s physician. (Prior institutions merely isolated the sick: no medical care was given.) St. John’s original location was the southeast corner of Jackson and Wells Streets. In 1855 it was moved downtown, and, in 1858 was built on this site on three acres given by the City. The name . . . — Map (db m37314) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Saint Stephen Lutheran Church
Designed by Otto C. Uehling, erected in 1901-02, and designated in 1975 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m47824) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 40 — SaloonHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 40
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Architect Unknown Tour Site 40 c.1888-1892 — Map (db m38543) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Service Star Legion World War I Memorial
To the memory of those who served 1917-1918 — Map (db m38414) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 327 — Sinking of the Lady Elgin
The loss of the sidewheel steamship Lady Elgin was one of Lake Michigan’s most tragic maritime disasters. On September 8th, 1860, the ship, returning to Milwaukee from Chicago, sank following a collision nine miles off Winnetka, Illinois. Milwaukee’s Irish Union Guards had chartered the grand Lady Elgin for a special Chicago benefit trip to raise funds to purchase new weapons. Wisconsin’s Governor Alexander Randall, an opponent of the federal fugitive slave law, suspected the Union Guards of . . . — Map (db m37263) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Site of First Milwaukee County Courthouse
On this site stood the First Court House 1836-1870 First Jail 1836 – 1847 First County Offices 1844-1870 Second Jail 1847-1870 This tablet erected by Milwaukee County Under direction of the Old Settlers Club of Milwaukee County 1900 — Map (db m38432) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Solomon Juneau
Solomon Juneau, First White Settler of Milwaukee, MDCCCXVIII Solomon Juneau, First Mayor of Milwaukee, MDCCCXXXXVI The gift of Charles T. Bradley, and William H. Metcalf to the City of Milwaukee — Map (db m38415) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 74 — St. Josaphat Basilica
This magnificent Temple of God is a monument of faith, erected by Polish immigrants at the close of the nineteenth century. Raised to the dignity of a Minor Basilica by Pope Pius XI, it was the third church to be so honored in the United States. Its beauty reflects both the majesty of God and the devotion of its parishioners. — Map (db m32839) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — St. Michael's Roman Catholic Church
Designed by H.P. Schnetzky and E.R. Liebert, erected in 1891-93, and designated in 1973 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m43629) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Designed by E.T. Mix, erected in 1882-90, and named a Milwaukee Landmark in 1972 in recognition of its architectural and historical significance. Noteworthy original elements include the exterior and the interior nave ceiling and stained glass. — Map (db m42570) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 62 — Standard Bedding Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Standard Bedding Co. Designed by R. Messmer & Bros. Tour Site 62 1913 — Map (db m74591) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 5 — Standard Paper Co.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Standard Paper Co. Designed by Schnetzky & Son Tour Site 5 1914 — Map (db m50064) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 46 — Steinkopf & Sons Tents & AwningsHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Steinkopf & Sons Tents & Awnings Architect Unknown Tour Site 46 1902 — Map (db m75381) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Steinmeyer Building
Designed by G.B. Ferry and A.C. Clas, erected in 1893 and later for the wholesale and retail grocery firm founded by William Steinmeyer, and designated as a Milwaukee Landmark in 1974 in recognition of its historical and architectural significance to the community. — Map (db m43013) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Stop on the Underground Railroad
Across Fond du Lac Avenue from this point was the Samuel Brown farm, part of the local Underground Railroad, a network of hiding places for escaping slaves. In July 1842, 16-year-old Caroline Quarlles, a runaway slave from St. Louis, was hidden on the Brown farm to avoid pursuing slave catchers. Milwaukee abolitionists then took her to Prairieville (now Waukesha) and from there she went to freedom in Ontario, Canada. [ A Twin marker is located on the reverse side of this marker. ] — Map (db m44583) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Straus Building
Built 1924 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m45071) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The Birth of Pizza in Milwaukee
From the street level restaurant of a narrow three-story building that was introduced and popularized in Milwaukee. The Caradaro Club (combining the founders' family names "John CARAvella" and "Joe ToDARO") opened in 1945 when World War II was ending and pizza was finding its way into the United States. Joe and Agatha Todaro developed a recipe that called for thin crust and was served in rectangular shape. Their marketing technique - handing out pizza slices on Milwaukee's downtown streets - . . . — Map (db m74760) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 476 — The Cream City
Milwaukee is known as “The Cream City” not because of dairies or breweries, but because of its historic pale yellow brick buildings constructed throughout the 19th century. These buildings are a distinctive “cream” color because they are made from clay with more calcium and magnesium than clay used to make common red brick. The Menominee River valley to the north was a primary source of the yellow clay in “cream city” brick. These bricks were highly sought by . . . — Map (db m32741) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The First Milwaukeeans
Indian villagers are credited with giving Milwaukee its name, which may have derived from Mahnawauk, Meolaki or Milwacky. Those words may be references to the Milwaukee River or a medicinal plant, but the most common translation is "good land." Over the years, archaeologists have documented more than 200 Indian mounds, indicating a native presence in Milwaukee as early as 800 B.C. Disease, wars and shifting settlements regularly changed the region's tribal makeup. The confluence of the . . . — Map (db m38882) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The First Unitarian Church of Milwaukee
Erected in 1892 and designated in 1967 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m42573) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The Prospect Avenue “Spite” HouseCirca 1880
Built by Jason Downer, it is one of the finest Queen Anne style residences in the city. The first notable tenant was Horace Ruble, Minister to Switzerland, head of the Republican Party of Wisconsin for many years and former editor of the Milwaukee Sentinel. He is also known for bringing noted actress Sarah Bernhardt to the United States. Designated March 15, 1987 National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m54650) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 308 — The University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
Milwaukee’s State Normal School, which was founded in 1885 on the city’s west side to train teachers, relocated in 1909 to this building, Mitchell Hall, then located on 11–1/2 acres. Designed by Van Ryn and de Gelleke, expanded in 1912, and named after a distinguished Milwaukee family, Mitchell Hall continued as “Old Main” when the institution became degree-granting Milwaukee State Teachers College in 1927 and Wisconsin State College in 1951. The College merged with the . . . — Map (db m32666) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — The Volunteer-'98
He stood at the curb reflecting, As the boys were marching by, He heard the drums, then saw the flag, And a gleam was in his eye. He loved that starry banner, He had no wish for gain, A grievous thought upon his mind Was the sinking of the Maine. Then he kissed his gentle mother, As he wiped away her tears, And proudly joined the ranks Of the marching volunteers. He was eager for the conflict, Prepared for any fate, ‘Twas the universal spirit With the . . . — Map (db m56592) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 310 — Third Ward Fire1892
On the evening of October 28, 1892, an exploding oil barrel started a small fire in the Union Oil and Paint company warehouse, which was located at 323 N. Water Street. Another fire broke out in a nearby factory in the 300 block of N. Broadway, where Commission Row is now located. Before morning, 4 persons had died, 215 railroad cars were consumed, 440 buildings were destroyed, and more than 1,900 people in the Irish community were left homeless. In all, the “mountain of fire” . . . — Map (db m37265) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Town of Lake
Organized in 1838, the Town of Lake was one of seven townships that made up pioneer Milwaukee County. Its original borders were Lake Michigan, 27th Street, Greenfield Avenue, and College Avenue. The City of Milwaukee annexed large sections of the town over the decades, adding room for the Historic South Side, Bay View, and Tippecanoe neighborhoods. The suburbs of Cudahy and St. Francis were also carved from Town lands. By the 1930’s, all that remained of the original township was a truck . . . — Map (db m49613) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church Complex
Erected in 1878 and designated in 1967 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m43012) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Turner Hall
Designed by Henry C. Koch, erected in 1882-83, and designated in 1975 as a Milwaukee Landmark in recognition of its architectural, cultural, and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m40942) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Valentin Blatz Brewing Company Office Building
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m38621) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 49 — W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron WorksHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places W. Toepfer & Sons, Iron Works Designed by A.V. Wiskovil Tour Site 49 1908 — Map (db m75383) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 29 — W.P. Reilly & Bros.Historic Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places W.P. Reilly & Bros. Designed by Crane & Barkhausen Tour Site 29 1893 — Map (db m75390) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 36 — Watertown Plank Road
Started in 1848 and completed in 1853, extended 58 miles west from Milwaukee on a course roughly paralleling State Street past the Frederick Miller Plank Road Brewery through Wauwatosa, Pewaukee, and Oconomowoc to Watertown. The $110,000 road of white oak planks provided a route for farm products, wood, lime, and passenger vehicles. It cut roundtrip travel time to three days, all at a toll of about one cent a mile. — Map (db m31123) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 20 — William Grossman & Co. Coffee and Tea MillHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places William Grossman & Co. Coffee and tea mill Designed by H. Messmer & Co. Tour Site 20 1903 — Map (db m75396) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 50 — Wirth, Hammel and Co., Horse StablesHistoric Third Ward
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Wirth, Hammel & Co., Horse Stables Designed by H.C. Koch Tour Site 50 1892 — Map (db m74612) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 284 — Wisconsin's Oldest NewspaperThe Milwaukee Sentinel
The Milwaukee Sentinel has chronicled the events of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and the world longer than any other newspaper in the state. Founded as a weekly on June 27, 1837 by Solomon Juneau, Milwaukee’s first mayor, the Sentinel was first published near this site next to Juneau’s fur trading post. On December 9, 1844, the Sentinel became Milwaukee’s first daily newspaper. The Sentinel was the state’s leading newspaper of the nineteenth century. Its coverage of Wisconsin and Milwaukee news has made it an outstanding historical resource. — Map (db m32369) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Womens Club of Wisconsin
Erected in 1888 and designated in 1970 as a landmark of the City of Milwaukee by the Milwaukee Landmarks Commission in recognition of its architectural and historical significance to the community. — Map (db m54649) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Wood National Cemetery Civil War Memorial
In memory of comrades buried in this home cemetery 1861 - 1865 The Union Forever N.W.B.N.H. for D.V.S. Jan. 1903 — Map (db m38439) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — Wood National Cemetery Memorial Section
"The markers in this memorial area honor veterans whose remains have not been recovered or identified, were buried at sea, donated to science, or cremated and the ashes scattered." — Map (db m38437) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Milwaukee — 23 — Young Saddlery Company AdditionHistoric Third Ward Walking Tour Site 23
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places Designed by Tharinger & Bruecker in 1924 Tour Site 23 1896 — Map (db m38519) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Oak Creek — Schooner LumbermanHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden schooner, three-masted Built: 1862, Hilyne C. Litchfield, Blendon’s Landing, Mich.; Rebuilt 1889 Sank: April 7, 1892 Length: 126’ Beam 23’ Cargo: Lumber, wood products Depth: 60’ Four miles offshore from this spot, 60 feet beneath the surface of Lake Michigan, lies the well-preserved wreck of the Lumberman. For three decades, the three-masted wooden schooner hauled lumber, barrel staves, railroad ties, and other forest products from isolated towns on Lake Michigan . . . — Map (db m42300) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — 446 — Lueddemann’s-On-The-River
This park played a key role in Shorewood’s development. In 1872, Frederick A. Lueddemann opened Lueddemann’s-On-The-River on this site in the Town of Milwaukee. Otto Zwietusch bought the resort in 1876 and renamed it Mineral Springs Park. Envisioning a landscaped urban retreat, he replaced the original building with a large building featuring apartments, a restaurant and billiard rooms. The park was purchased in 1900 and renamed “Coney Island.” Its owners added a roller . . . — Map (db m30250) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — 366 — Shorewood Armory
The Shorewood Armory, once located near Capitol Drive and Oakland Avenue, was home to the cavalry unit of the Wisconsin National Guard from 1910 to 1930. Originally called the Light Horse Squadron, the cavalry drilled their horses on the thirty-acre armory grounds and the streets of Shorewood. The armory complex included military offices, the commander’s house, a dormitory, a gymnasium and a large barn with sixty-five stables. Shorewood’s rapid suburban expansion forced the cavalry unit to move in 1931. — Map (db m30247) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — 367 — Shorewood High School
A forerunner in secondary school design, Shorewood High School is modeled on a university campus plan. Constructed between 1924 and 1938 by Milwaukee architects Herbst and Kuenzli, the school includes separate buildings for administration, physical education, arts and science, industrial arts and theater arts. The splendid auditorium also serves the Shorewood community. — Map (db m30248) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — 368 — Shorewood Village Hall
Shorewood Village Hall was built in 1908 as a four-room school to serve Shorewood, then called East Milwaukee. In 1915 this building became the seat of village government. The building was extensively remodeled in 1937 with Works Progress Administration (WPA) funds, and again in 1985. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. — Map (db m30249) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Shorewood — Steamer AppomattoxHistoric Shipwreck — Wisconsin’s Maritime Trails
Type: Wooden bulk carrier Built: 1896, Davidson Shipyard, West Bay City, Mich. Sank: November 2, 1905, stranded Length: 319’ Beam: 42’ Cargo: Iron ore, coal Propulsion: Triple-expansion steam engine, propeller Depth of Wreckage: 20’ Listed on National Register of Historic Places Just 150 yards from here, in 20 feet of water, lies the Appomattox, the largest wooden steamer ever to sail the Great Lakes, possibly the world. Her builder, Captain James Davidson, pushed . . . — Map (db m42301) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), South Milwaukee — 467 — Lawson Airplane Company
From 1919 to 1922, this property housed the Lawson Airplane Company, founded by pioneer aviator Alfred W. Lawson. The company produced the first two commercial passenger airplanes in the U.S. Lawson dubbed these “airliners.” Many features standard in today’s modern commercial “airliners” such as weather proof cockpits, dual pilot controls, and passenger cabins with a center aisle first appeared in these innovative aircraft. Clearly ahead of his time, Lawson was referred to as the “Columbus of the Air.” — Map (db m68535) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — “Sunnyhill Home”
Built by Dr. Fisk Holbrook Day, this residence is believed to have been designed in 1874 by prominent Milwaukee architect James Douglas. Once called “Wauwatosa’s most prominent citizen,” Dr. Day was a physician for the County Hospital, the Poor Farm and the Insane Asylum. He also conducted an extensive private practice and was a nationally renowned geologist. — Map (db m51007) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Charles Hart Homestead
Site of the homestead of Charles Hart, founder of Wauwatosa, who arrived here in May, 1835. He built a log cabin in what is now the village and with his brother, Thomas, operated saw and grist mills. In the early 1840s Charles Hart built a large two-story home at this site. It remained until 1936 when it was demolished to allow this road, The Charles Hart Parkway, to be built. — Map (db m37507) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Church Street Historic District
This block of Church Street extending south from Milwaukee Avenue was platted as Wauwatosa’s first residential street in 1853. The Congregational Church built that year was the earliest religious structure in the community then known as Harts Mills. In 1989 this was the first district in Wauwatosa to be listed on the National Register and includes the Georgian Revival Church and 13 homes in 5 architectural styles. Gothic Revival is the earliest style represented, followed chronologically . . . — Map (db m50839) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Dittmar-Robertson Building
The Dittmar-Robertson building is the oldest remaining structure of the five-point intersection of Wauwatosa’s historic village center. Erected in 1897 by a pioneer blacksmith, John F. Dittmar, it was first occupied by a hardware, plumbing and heating business. Since the Robertson family acquired the building in 1921, it has been continuously used for this same purpose. — Map (db m50840) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — First Baptist Church
This Victorian Gothic church was constructed in 1887-88 as the second home of the FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH OF WAUWATOSA. In 1906-07, it was rededicated as the ENOCH D. UNDERWOOD MEMORIAL BAPTIST CHURCH to honor Enoch D. Underwood, pastor from 1849 to 1887. When the Baptist congregation built a new worship center in 1953-54, this church was sold. Since 1960 this has been the home of several Latvian Lutheran congregations which merged in 1987 to form the LATVIAN EVANGELICAL LUTHERAN HOLY TRINITY CHURCH IN MILWAUKEE. — Map (db m51462) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — First Congregational Church
The Congregationalists were the first to organize a church in Wauwatosa. In 1853 they purchased this lot for $50 and erected a small wooden church. The present structure, designed by architect Edwin O. Kuenzli, was begun in 1919 and enlarged in 1959. The 1853 church was incorporated into the west end of the building. The steeple is a replica of one in Williamstown, Massachusetts. — Map (db m50838) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Harrison Ludington Farm
In 1870 Harrison Ludington, three-term Milwaukee mayor and governor of Wisconsin, purchased 100 acres here and established an exemplary farm where he worked to improve the quality of the state’s livestock. In 1881 he built this large “Gentleman’s Farmhouse” for his son Frederick. The westernmost 62 acres of the farm became Ravenswood Subdivision in 1926. Ludington descendants lived in this house until 1950. — Map (db m50834) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Harts Mills
The Founding Fathers of Wauwatosa were brothers Charles and Thomas Benjamin Hart from New England. In 1835 Charles Hart settled where an old Indian trail forded the Menomonee River. About 1838 the brothers built a water powered sawmill across the street from this site. Later they built a grist mill on this site to grind local farmer’s grain. Because of these structures the first name of this community was “Harts Mills.” In 1840 the settlement name was officially changed to . . . — Map (db m47823) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Kneeland-Walker House
The history of the Kneeland-Walker House and Carriage House on this beautifully landscaped 1.5 acre site is the story of two remarkable men. The house was built in 1889-90 by Norman L. Kneeland who was involved in early Wauwatosa government. In 1917 it was purchased be Emery L. Walker, an engineer and inventor, who was involved in paper container manufacturing. This residence is a fine example of Late Queen Anne Style blended with elements of Shingle Style Architecture. — Map (db m51459) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Lowell Damon House
In 1844, Oliver Damon, wheelwright and cabinet-maker, migrated from New Hampshire to what is now Wauwatosa. He and his son-in-law, Jonathon Warren, built this house using oak and black walnut from land he purchased in 1841. In 1846 Damon’s son, Lowell, came to Wisconsin and added the front portion of the house. The Rogers family gave the house to the Milwaukee County Historical Society in 1941 as a museum and period house. — Map (db m32978) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Milwaukee County Asylum Cemetery
The ground before you contains the mortal remains of approximately 200 souls who died at the Milwaukee County Asylum / Hospital for the Insane. These burial grounds were open from March 1880 – November 1914. Patients without financial means or family to claim them found a place of eternal peace here. Among them is Civil War veteran, Albert Melms, 3rd Class Musician of the 24th Illinois Infantry. Between March 1880 and November 1914, a succession of four superintendents had the duty . . . — Map (db m51465) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Milwaukee County Cemetery
This site, also known as Potter’s Field was originally a pasture on the Milwaukee County Farm. Between 1872 and 1974, this four acre field became the final resting place for 4000 of the estimated 7500 children and adults buried on the Milwaukee County Grounds. Many were paupers who lived at the poor farm or received care at other county institutions. All were buried through the generosity of the people of Milwaukee County. May they rest in peace. Map (db m51464) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — 168 — Milwaukee County's First Airport
One of the earliest publicly–owned airports in the United State was established here on July 3, 1919, by the Milwaukee County Park Commission. The nation’s first commercial air transport, the Lawson Airliner, took off from this field on August 27, 1919 on a demonstration flight to New York City and Washington, D.C., and returned on November 14, 1919. This two-engined biplane, 95 feet in wingspan, carried 16 passengers and two pilots. Milwaukee’s first airmail was flown from here on . . . — Map (db m34756) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Oak Hill Cemetery1853
This acre was purchased from Mr. Clarke Brookins by the Oak Hill Burying Ground Assoc. Burials began in 1839. Civil War vets Johann Bahler and Dr. Levi Halsted are buried here with other Wauwatosa pioneers. — Map (db m46668) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — 499 — Revolutionary War Veteran
Front Patriot James Morgan was born April 5, 1748, in Frederick County, Virginia. At the age of 30, Morgan enlisted in the Revolution for a three-month tour in Colonel John Evan’s Virginia Regiment. He served with General McIntosh’s campaign in the Ohio country. Morgan re-enlisted in 1779, for a three-month term with a Pennsylvania Regiment. His third enlistment was again with Colonel Evans, as a scout and spy against Loyalist Indians. James Morgan was discharged in August 15, 1780. . . . — Map (db m31763) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Thomas Benjamin Hart House
Thomas B. Hart, with his brother, Charles, operated the saw and grist mills in the settlement of Hart’s Mills, now known as Wauwatosa. From 1874 to 1885 this was his residence. It is the oldest house on the city’s earliest residential street. The Gothic Revival Architecture of the house and barn is noteworthy for its 9 pairs of ornate barge boards in 6 patterns. The Hart family owned the property until 1910. — Map (db m50837) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), Wauwatosa — Wauwatosa Avenue Historic District
The Wauwatosa Avenue Historic District includes seventy-seven houses on Wauwatosa Avenue, Warren Avenue, Hillcrest Drive and adjoining streets. The District is characterized by large, well-maintained examples of the architecture of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. — Map (db m33125) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), West Allis — 318 — Camp Harvey
At the outbreak of the Spanish-American War in April of 1898, President William McKinley called on the states to gather their military forces. State officials ordered the Wisconsin National Guard to report for duty at Camp Harvey, named for Wisconsin Civil War Governor Louis P. Harvey and located on the grounds of the Wisconsin State Fair Park. The Wisconsin National Guard had been established in 1879 to improve the existing militia system. The war with Spain (1898-1899) demonstrated for . . . — Map (db m36393) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), West Allis — 41 — Meadowmere
This tract of land was once a part of the estate on which General William (Billy) Mitchell (1879-1936) lived as a boy. His fearless and inquisitive personality as a youth carried over into his military career when he spoke out against overwhelming odds for an adequate air force. After commanding U.S. air forces in France during World War I, he emerged as the nation’s pioneer advocate of air power. He did not live to see the wisdom of his foresight, but all America now honors his great courage, . . . — Map (db m31135) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), West Allis — 100 — Old Honey Creek School Site
Honey Creek School, Greenfield Township, was built of logs, with a shake roof and puncheon floor, on land owned by Reuben Strong. William W. Johnson, the first teacher, helped to build the school, which opened in December 1843. Marion Johnson Cooper also taught. It was replaced by one of red brick in 1850. One of cream city brick, built in 1887, was used until 1923. — Map (db m32841) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), West Allis — President Abraham LincolnCampaign Speech, Sept. 30, 1859 — Wisconsin State Fair, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Candidate Abraham Lincoln delivered a campaign speech at the 1859 Wisconsin State Fair. The Fair site, at that time, was at the Spring Street Hill/Brockway Grounds located in the heart of Milwaukee between Wisconsin Avenue and Highland Avenue, and from 10th to 13th Streets. A commemorative plaque, recognizing the event, can be seen on the corner of 13th and Wells. Lincoln’s address, confined to the problems of labor and agriculture, became his only speech on agriculture. Candidate . . . — Map (db m37603) HM
Wisconsin (Milwaukee County), West Allis — 319 — Wisconsin State Fair Park
In 1892, this site became the permanent home of the Wisconsin State Fair after its purchase a year earlier by the State Agricultural Society. Until then, the Fair had moved annually since the first one in Janesville in 1851. Over the years, State Fair Park has not only showcased agriculture but also military, recreational and cultural activities. The Park housed troops and equipment for the Spanish-American War and for World Wars I and II. It has featured auto races since 1903, Green Bay . . . — Map (db m8311) HM
219 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 229 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.