Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Mobile County Alabama Historical Markers

 
Bayou La Batre, Alabama Marker image, Click for more information
By David C Lannie Jr, May 4, 2010
Bayou La Batre, Alabama Marker
Alabama (Mobile County), Bayou La Batre — Bayou La Batre, Alabama
The stream near the site, known as Bayou la Batre, was known during the period of French occupation as "Riviere d'Erbane," then as "Rivere la batterie" because of the French artillery battery located on its banks. The town's name consists of bayou, . . . — Map (db m85905) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Citronelle — Surrender Site
Here on May 4, 1865 Lt. Gen. Richard Taylor, C.S.A. surrendered the last organized Confederate forces, the Department of Alabama, Mississippi and East Louisiana, to Major Gen. E.R.S. Canby, U.S.A. thereby bringing to an official close the War . . . — Map (db m42977) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Creola — Site of Old Mobile
(English) Site of Old Mobile Fort Louis de la Louisiane Founded 1702 by Pierre Le Moyne d’Iberville Under orders of Louis XIV First Capital of French Louisiana 1702-1711 (French) Site de Vieux Mobile Fort . . . — Map (db m70588) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — Stop E — "Save Your Garrison."Bombardment of Fort Powell: — Stop E
The Confederates built Fort Powell on Tower Island, an oyster shell bank fifty feet north of Grant's Pass. The Pass provided an easy route from Mobile Bay to New Orleans through Mississippi Sound. C.S. Lieutenant Colonel James M. Williams, only . . . — Map (db m87239) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — Stop D — "To Be Blown To Kingdom Come"Siege of Fort Gaines — Stop D
Once Farragut was in the Bay, capture of Fort Gaines and Powell would prevent his isolation there. So at 4:00 pm, August 3, 1864, 1,500 soldiers commanded by U.S. General Edward Canby (but under the operational direction of General Gordon . . . — Map (db m87219) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — Stop D — “Damn the Torpedoes!”The Battle of Mobile Bay: — Stop D
At 7:25 a.m., August 5, 1864, Admiral Farragut’s lead monitor Tecumseh steered into the torpedo field at the mouth of Mobile Bay. The admiral had ordered Commander Tunis Craven, the Tecumseh’s captain, to engage the ram . . . — Map (db m87234) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — 19th Century ShipwreckExposed by Hurricane Georges
The huge timbers you see are a ship's keel section, washed ashore in the fury of Hurricane Georges in the fall of 1998. A house was destroyed with it's impact. The remains formed the bottom ridge line of the ship and would have held the ribs of . . . — Map (db m87217) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — Anchor From U.S.S. Hartford
This anchor came from the U.S.S. Hartford, Admiral Farragut's flagship during the Civil War "Battle of Mobile Bay" in August of 1864. It was there that he uttered the now famous words, "Damn the Torpedoes—Full Speed Ahead!" — Map (db m87244) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — Fort Gaines
Established in 1821 for defense of Mobile Bay and named in honor of General Edmund Pendleton Gaines, 1777-1849 who played an important part in early Alabama History and while Commandant of Fort Stoddard captured Aaron Burr near McIntosh in February . . . — Map (db m39393) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Dauphin Island — Stop 1 — Storm Clouds GatherThe Overland Campaign — Stop 1: Fort Gaines
To Wait and Watch In late August 1864 the Federals controlled Mobile Bay but could not attack Mobile. Admiral Farragut could not reach the City even with his light draft vessels, because the channels in the upper Bay had been obstructed. . . . — Map (db m87243) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Le Moyne — Ellicott's StoneErected April 9th, 1799
Marks 1st Southern Boundary of the United States and the Mississippi Territory created in 1798 -----900 feet East----- Stone marked 31° North Latitude separating the U.S. & Spanish Florida. This line of demarcation ran from the . . . — Map (db m70589) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — "Damn The Torpedoes!" The Campaigns for Mobile, 1864 - 1865The Museum of Mobile
(preface) "Damn the Torpedoes!" is a familiar battle cry, but there's more to the story! The Mobile Civil War Trail is your guide to military movements and the way of life on and around Mobile Bay in the closing two years of the Civil . . . — Map (db m87288) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — "Take Her Down!"Howard Walter Gilmore, Commander, U.S.N. — Born 29 September 1902, Selma, Ala.
Panel 1: Medal of Honor Citation For distinguished gallantry and valor above and beyond The call of duty as Commanding Officer of U. S. submarine GROWLER (SS-215) during her fourth war patrol in the Southwest Pacific from 10 . . . — Map (db m74811) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 10" Rifled Sea Coast Columbiad
Manufactured at Tredegar Iron Works Richmond, Virginia CSA This cannon was used by Alabama Confederate Forces in the defense of Mobile during the War for Southern Independence from 1861-1865. It was mounted at Ft. Powell, guarding . . . — Map (db m86727) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — 400 Government Street 1860(Ketchum House - Cathedral Rectory)
. . . — Map (db m86384) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Admiral Raphael Semmes, CSA
(Front):Commander C.S. Steamer Alabama Rear-Admiral C.S. Navy Sailor, Patriot, Statesman Scholar and Christian Gentleman (Side Plaque): Admiral Raphael Semmes, CSA Commander of the Most Successful Sea Raider In History CSS Alabama . . . — Map (db m40669) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — An Unheralded Breed of Soldier
Let all who read these words of gratitude and praise know that tens of thousands of America's fighting men and women owe their lives to the deeds and courage of war dogs and their handlers. Further, let it be known that many breeds of dogs, large . . . — Map (db m74162) HM WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — B-52D "Stratofortress"
Plans for the B-52 began as early as 1945, but the first flight of a B52D was not until June 4, 1956. The operational life of the B-52 spans the period from 1957 to the present, and included the most critical phase of the war in Vietnam. The . . . — Map (db m50424) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Barton Academy
Built 1835-1836. First public school in Alabama. Named for Rep. Willoughby Barton, author of Bill creating public schools of Mobile some 28 yrs. before State system. It was used as a hospital for Union soldiers in 1864. — Map (db m86387) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Battle of Coffeeville Memorial
This memorial marks the burial site of Union and Confederate soldiers who fought in the Battle of Coffeeville December 5 1862 some known by name - others known but to God Pvt J C Barret • Pvt Henry Byers Co B 26 Miss Regt • Co C . . . — Map (db m86447) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Battle of Fort Blakely Monument
Ill. 76th Vol. Inf. In Memory of our Heroes Who Fell at Fort Blakely, Ala. April 9, 1865 —— 2nd Brig. 2nd Div. 13th Army Corps. William T. Duke • Micajah S. Moore • William Crimes • George H. Hopkins • George . . . — Map (db m86870) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Battle of Mobile Bay Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to US Navy, US Marine Corps, and Confederate States Navy personnel who lost their lives in the Battle of Mobile Bay, Civil War August 5, 1864 — Map (db m86446) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Bettie Hunter House
Built in 1878 in the Italianate style. In 1852, Bettie Hunter was born a slave in Dallas County, Alabama and later moved to Mobile after the Civil War. She and her brother, Henry Hunter, had a profitable carriage business in downtown Mobile. She . . . — Map (db m86389) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Big Zion African Methodist Episcopal Zion Church
This congregation originated in 1842 with a group of slaves who worshipped in their masters' church, a Methodist congregation. They were required to move to a small house provided for them. Their perseverance and faith held them together through . . . — Map (db m86573) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Cadillac Homesite
. . . — Map (db m86328) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception / Archdiocese of Mobile
Cathedral-Basilica of the Immaculate Conception Parish established in 1703 by John-Baptiste del la Croix, Bishop of Québec, while Mobile served as capital of Louisiana. Oldest religious congregation of any denomination in Alabama and the . . . — Map (db m86735) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Christ Church(Episcopal)
Established in 1823, the first Episcopal Congregation in Mobile and in the State of Alabama. Cornerstone of present edifice laid in 1835; building completed and consecrated 1842 by Leonidas Polk, Bishop of Louisiana and Alabama, later General . . . — Map (db m86580) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — City HallErected 1853 - 1858
Southern market buildings & municipal offices also served as military armory before and during the Civil war Stalls for farmers, butchers, game sellers and fishermen on ground floor Officially registered in 1969 in National Register of . . . — Map (db m87287) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Confederate RestThe Confederate Dead
In 1862, while Alabama was a State among the Confederate States of America suffering invasion by Union forces, the City of Mobile designed this Square 13 of Magnolia Cemetery as "Soldier's Rest" for Confederate Patriots who were casualties of the . . . — Map (db m87210) HM WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Creole Firehouse #1
This two-story brick structure was built in 1869 with James H. Hutchisson as architect to house the first volunteer fire company in Mobile. The company was founded in 1819. As descendants of the French, Spanish and Africans, the Creoles formed their . . . — Map (db m86402) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Crew of CSS H. L. Hunley Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the gallant crew of the CSS Horace L Hunley and their commander 1st Lt George E Dixon Co A 21st Ala Inf CSA who perished on the attack on the USS Housatonic Feb 17 1864 — Map (db m86251) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — CSS Alabama Memorial
This memorial is dedicated to the officers and men of the CSS Alabama who perished during the attack of the USS Kearsarge on June 19, 1864 Yeo George Applebee • FN Christian Pust Stew A G Bartelli • Sea John Roberts Cox Henry . . . — Map (db m86441) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Dr. H. Roger Williams(1869-1929)
Dr. Williams opened one of the early African-American drugstores- Live and Let Live on this site in 1901. Born on a sugar plantation in Louisiana, he graduated from Meharry Medical School in 1900 and was the second black physician to practice . . . — Map (db m86393) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Dr. Thomas N. Harris
Dr. Harris, born April 6, 1868, in Montgomery, Alabama was one of the earliest black physicians to practice medicine in Mobile. He graduated in 1899 from Meharry Medical College in Nashville, Tennessee with dual degrees in dentistry and medicine. To . . . — Map (db m86400) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Gen. William C. Gorgas
On this site stood the Gov. John Gayle home, birthplace of William Crawford Gorgas, world famous sanitarian, Panama Canal Zone, 1902-14; Surgeon Gen. & Maj. General; conqueror of dread plagues of yellow fever and malaria. — Map (db m98590) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Government Street Presbyterian Church
Founded, with 21 members, in 1831, by Rev. John B. Warren. This sanctuary erected 1834. Designated by the U.S. Dept. of the Interior as one of America's historic buildings. Presby-terian mother church for Southern Alabama. — Map (db m86494) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Home of Raphael Semmes
Rear Admiral, Confederate States Navy, Brigadier General, Confederate States Army, Commander of the Alabama, the greatest sea raider of all times. — — — — In this house, a gift of the people of Mobile, . . . — Map (db m86572) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Horace O. Davis
This building is named for Horace O. David whose dedication and estimable service to the USS Alabama Battleship Commission enhanced the memories of the personnel, who served aboard the USS Alabama and the honor of the people of the Great State for . . . — Map (db m50427) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — How Big was the Original Fort Condé?
Since colonial rulers were unable to attract large numbers of settlers to Mobile, the Port City’s population remained small and never grew above 500. Because the majority of Mobile’s population was military personnel, the city was built around the . . . — Map (db m87207) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — In Memory of the Battle of Mobile Bay
One of the fiercest and most decisive battles in naval history Commemorated on the centennial August 5 1964 — Map (db m86449) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — James W. Roper
Owner - Builder of Oakleigh Born 1801 in South Carolina (day and month of birth unknown) Died Jan. 12, 1856 — Map (db m86414) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Joe CainOctober 10, 1832 - April 17, 1904
Joseph Stillwell Cain, Jr. was born along Dauphin Street in Mobile, Alabama. Joe served as a clerk for the city, and developed many mystic societies within the city. The Civil War brought all Mardi Gras Festivities to a halt. Cain had participated . . . — Map (db m86730) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — John Forbes & Co.
Here stood in Spanish times, the great Indian trading house of John Forbes & Co. — Map (db m86435) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — John L. LeFloreNon-Partisan Voters League
After the NAACP was outlawed in 1956, LeFlore and the Non-Partisan Voters League took a more active role in civil rights in Mobile. LeFlore served as its director of casework. He was a plaintiff in Bolden vs. Mobile and the judgement changed . . . — Map (db m86391) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — L'Arbre de Pau
The Tree of Pau Presented to the people of Mobile from their sister city, Pau, France. Symbolic of the restoration after Hurricane Frederic 1979. — Map (db m86439) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Le Marquis de Lafayette visited Mobile
On this site stood the home of Mayor Samuel H. Garrow, where the Marquis de Lafayette was entertained on his visit to Mobile, April 7, 1825. Lafayette, French officer, statesman, and hero of the American Revolution, visited the United States as . . . — Map (db m86420) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — McGowin-LyonsOne St. Louis Centre — 1907-1986
Throughout the 19th and first half of the 20th century, large warehouses and commercial buildings lined Water and Commerce Streets to service the port of Mobile. One St. Louis Centre, known locally as the McGowin-Lyons Building, was the largest and . . . — Map (db m86354) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Memorial to USS Herring (SS-233) — Submarines and the Battleship Park
Panel 1: Anderson, Fred H., RT1 Anderson, John L., Jr., MoMM2 Armstrong, James E., RM1 Balestrieri, S., ENS Blair, Jack L., S2 Blevins, J.T., S1 Boucher, Leo J., S1 Brennan, James J., TM2 Bronder, John J., SC2 Brown, . . . — Map (db m74810) WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Merchants National Bank BuildingHistorical Marker
The incorporation of The Merchants Bank of Mobile was authorized April 13, 1901 with offices at 56 St. Francis Street. On July 1, 1927, Merchants became a national bank and occupied this eighteen story building which was dedicated October 11, 1929. . . . — Map (db m86434) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Hospital
Built in 1830 by Thomas S. James, Mobile's third hospital has been preserved in its original design except for additions at each end, serving without interruption through disastrous fires, yellow fever epidemics, and war. For 83 years between . . . — Map (db m86404) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Limits — 1711
This site marks the southwestern limit of the city of Mobile in 1711. Known then as Port Louis de la Mobile, it had been founded by the French at 27-Mile Bluff in 1702 and moved to its present site in 1711. Mobile has been a city under six . . . — Map (db m86346) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Limits — 1711
When Mobile was laid out, this was the city's north-east boundary point. Royal Street ran along a bluff overlooking the Mobile River. There were no streets between Royal and the river, only marshland. — Map (db m86347) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile City Limits — 1711
At this point the northwest limits of French Mobile faded into the dense forest which surrounded the city in 1711 and many years thereafter. An 1815 map shows the forest reaching Joachim Street, one block west. — Map (db m86348) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile National Cemetery
National Cemetery Mobile National Cemetery was established in May 1866 on 3 acres of land in Magnolia Cemetery. The City of Mobile donated the land to the federal government. The Cemetery was divided into four sections with a central . . . — Map (db m86914) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile's First Jail
Here within Fort Charlotte was Mobile's first jail. — Map (db m86436) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Mobile's First Mardi Gras Parade
On Shrove Tuesday, February 25, 1868, the Order of Myths gathered at this intersection shortly after 8 p.m. and began its first parade. The procession traveled west on Government, north on Warren east on Dauphin, north on Joachim west on State, . . . — Map (db m100842) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Nicola Marschall Residence
This building constructed in 1853,
by Judge Henry V. Chamberlain,
a former mayor of Mobile, was
in 1871 and 1872, the residence of
Nicola Marschall,
who, in 1861, designed
the Confederate Flag and . . . — Map (db m86504) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Oakleigh
Started in 1833 by James Roper on a Spanish land grant, “Oakleigh” was named for the magnificent oaks around it. The “T” shaped dwelling with elegant parlors and curved outside stairway from the brick terrace to front gallery . . . — Map (db m85908) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Office of Dr. Henry S. LeVert, 1804-1864.
Mobile Physician, 1829-1864. Son of Dr. Claudeus LeVert, who came to Virginia as fleet surgeon under General Rochambeau. This Italianate style building served as a doctor's office for one hundred years, 1858-1954. Preserved by the action of the . . . — Map (db m40667) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Old Church Street Cemetery - 1819←—«
Established 1819 by city of Mobile for yellow fever victims. Buried in raised tombs are Spanish and French citizens of early Mobile, and many pioneer Americans. — Map (db m86409) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Old Plateau CemeteryAfricatown Graveyard
The Old Plateau Cemetery, known as the Africatown Graveyard, is the final resting place of enslaved Africans, African-Americans, and a Buffalo Soldier. The burial ground dates back to 1876, sixteen years after Africans arrived on the Clotilda . . . — Map (db m86308) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Old Slave Markets
On This Site Stood One Of The Old Slave Markets Last cargo of slaves arrived on the Schooner Clotilde in August of 1859. — Map (db m86311) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — On this Spot Woodrow Wilson Said:October 27, 1913 — 1913 - 1924
"I want to take this occasion to say that the United States will never again seek one additional foot of territory by conquest. She will devote herself to showing that she knows how to make honorable and fruitful use of the territory she has and she . . . — Map (db m86381) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Pierre Le Moyne d'Iberville
A la gloire de Pierre Le Moyne D'Iberville, le heros dela baie d'Hudson, de Terre-Neuve et de Nevis, qui fonda en 1702 Mobile
premiere ville de la Louisiane Française. ———— Ne a Montréal en . . . — Map (db m86490) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Portier HouseCirca 1833
Title to this land, part of a Spanish grant and formerly a burial ground, was clarified by the American State Papers in 1828. Michael Portier, Mobile's first Bishop, made this his home from 1834 until his death in 1859. Four subsequent bishops of . . . — Map (db m86344) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Richards D.A.R. House Museum — 1860
One of the premier antebellum structures in the city, the house was built by Charles Richards, a riverboat captain originally from Maine. The building is considered to have Mobile's finest cast iron, featuring figures in a garden setting and . . . — Map (db m86511) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Saenger Theatre
Opening night, January 19, 1927, saw crowds gather to hear local dignitaries praise Mobile's "Place of Entertainment". Today the Saenger Theatre remains the entertainment center of downtown. Designed by Emile Weil in the French Renaissance . . . — Map (db m86503) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Shaarai ShomayimFirst Jewish House of Worship in Alabama - 1846
Jews have been part of Alabama’s economic, social and political life since 1764. It was not until 1841 that Mobile’s small Jewish community grew large enough to organize “Congregation” Shaarai Shomayim (Gates of Heaven). The community . . . — Map (db m27083) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Site of Mobile's First Theater
Erected in 1824 N. M. Ludlow whence Theater Street derives its name — Map (db m86437) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Site of Sixth Mobile Theatre1841-1860
Here played the great of the American and British stage, among them: James Wallack, Fanny Kemble, Ole Bull, Joseph Field, Joseph Jefferson, James H. Hackett, William Macready, Charlotte Cushman, Edwin Forrest, Julia Dean, Junius Booth, Anna Mowatt, . . . — Map (db m86352) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — St. Louis Street Missionary Baptist Church
The church was organized in 1853 by ten African-Americans who were former members of Stone Street Baptist Church. It is the second oldest Missionary Baptist Church in Alabama. The first three pastors were Caucasian; however, following passage of the . . . — Map (db m86578) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Tank M48A1
Armament 1 - 90mm Gun 2 - .50 Cal. Machine Guns 1 - .30 Cal. Machine Gun Weight   99,000 lbs. Combat Loaded Crew   4 Men Maximum Speed   28 mph Cruising Range   70 Miles Grade Ascending Ability   60 . . . — Map (db m100938) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Bee Hive
The congregation of Government Street United Methodist Church, Methodism's Mother Church in Mobile, began in 1826 on Franklin Street. Called "The Bee Hive" because of its activity, it sent "swarms" throughout the city to form new congregations. A . . . — Map (db m86571) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Comic Cowboys of MobileA Mardi Gras Street Parade Society
This marker commemorates the one hundredth anniversary of the founding in Mobile of the Comic Cowboys, a Mardi Gras society believed to be unique in all the world. For a century, it has annually fulfilled its mission by using the art of caricature, . . . — Map (db m101082) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Convent of Mercy
On this site in 1884 the Sisters of Mercy established the Convent of Mercy. In 1908 the front building, the convent, was constructed and in 1927 the adjacent school building was occupied by pupils attending Convent of Mercy Academy. The school . . . — Map (db m86584) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Hunley
The first submarine successfully used in warfare was completed at this site in 1863. Designed by James McClintock and Baxter Watson, and financed by Horace L. Hunley, it was built by W. A. Alexander at the Mobile machine shop of Park and Lyons. . . . — Map (db m86244) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Lower Alabama Vietnam Veterans Memorial
President John F. Kennedy said, " A nation reveals itself not only by the men it produces but also by the men it honors; the men it remembers." It is our intention to remember and honor these men from Alabama who served their Nation in a time of . . . — Map (db m85909) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Mobile Bar AssociationAlabama's First Bar Association
On March 29, 1869, 32 attorneys organized the Mobile Bar Association, the first bar association in Alabama and the 14th oldest bar association in the entire nation. They filed the Association's Declaration of Incorporation on April 12, 1869, having . . . — Map (db m40666) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Quigley House
Built in 1860 by George Gilmore, owned in 1866 by Dr. Edmund Pendleton Gaines, in 1901 by Mrs. Susan Quigley; this historic house was bought in 1963 by the City of Mobile and restored by the Junior Chamber of Commerce. — Map (db m86408) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Revolutionary War at MobileSiege of Fort Charlotte (Condé) 1780
Spain, America's ally, declared war on Great Britain in June 1779. Bernardo de Galvez, governor of Spanish Louisiana at New Orleans, led the attack against the British along the lower Mississippi River and Gulf Coast. In February 1780, Galvez laid . . . — Map (db m86355) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Salvation Army in Mobile
At the corner of Conception and St. Francis Streets, Captain Edward Justus Parker, Staff-Captain Charles Miles and a Salvation Army lieutenant conducted an open air meeting on the night of their arrival in March 1887. In contrast to earlier . . . — Map (db m86337) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Slave Market
After the abolition of international slave trading in 1808, dealers transported slaves from all over the South into Mobile. On this site, Africans were sold as chattel to southern planters through public auction. Between auctions, a three-story . . . — Map (db m86312) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — The Submarine Lookout Memorial — Submarines and the Battleship Park
Panel 1: "The Lookout: the Eyes of the WWII Submarine" Panel 2: "Submarine Lookout": Standing his watch on a perch high above the deck, the lookout was the eyes of the submarine while surfaced. Often while submerged he was . . . — Map (db m74809) HM WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — To Jean Baptiste LeMoyneSieur de Bienville
Native of Montreal, Canada, Naval Officer of France, Governor of Louisiana and Founder of the first Capital, Mobile, in 1711. Born 1680 — Died 1768 —— With the Genius to create an Empire and the Courage to maintain . . . — Map (db m86732) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — U.S. Marine Hospital
Built 1838-1841. In Operation 1842-1952. Served Confederate and Union Troops, 1861-1865 — Map (db m86357) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Union Baptist Church / Founders of Union Baptist Church
Front Union Baptist Church Organized in 1869 as the Old Landmark Baptist Church by Rev. Henry McCrea and the following survivors of the slave ship, Clotilda: Pollee Allen, Rose Allen, Katie Cooper, Anna Keeby, Ossa Keeby, . . . — Map (db m86299) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — United States Ship Alabama (BB-60) — Battleship Memorial Park
Named for the State of Alabama. 6th naval fighting ship to bear the name. Built by the Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Virginia. Authorized by Congress 27 March 1934. Keel laid 1 February 1940 – Launched 16 February 1942. Sponsored by . . . — Map (db m74366) HM WM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Vickery's Bridge
From September 5 to September 9, 1950 Lt. Grady Vickery was assigned to defend the Namji-Ri Bridge crossing the Nam River. The bridge had been defended by Vickery's considerably reinforced platoon. Numerous attempts to blow the bridge by the North . . . — Map (db m85910) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — W.H. Council Traditional School
Council Traditional School was founded and opened in 1910. It is named in honor of William Hooper Councill, a former slave who was the founder of Alabama A&M University in Huntsville, Alabama. This building was erected in 1910 and underwent . . . — Map (db m86575) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mobile — Wallace Turnage
In 1864, Wallace Turnage, a seventeen year old slave was owned by a merchant, Collier Minge, whose house stood on this site. Turnage escaped wartime Mobile by walking 25 miles down the western shore of Mobile Bay. After surviving three weeks in the . . . — Map (db m86374) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mt. Vernon — Fort Stoddert– 1799 →
Site three miles east. Border fort and port of entry into the United States while the 31st parallel was the southern border. Aaron Burr was held prisoner here after capture near McIntosh in 1807. — Map (db m70592) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mt. Vernon — Mt. Vernon Arsenal and Barracks/Searcy Hospital
(obverse) Mt. Vernon Arsenal and Barracks Established 1828 by Congress to store arms and munitions for U. S. Army. Original structures completed 1830's. Arsenal appropriated by Confederacy 1861; equipment moved to Selma . . . — Map (db m70593) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Mt. Vernon — Mt. Vernon Federal Highway
In 1811, the Mount Vernon Cantonment, located on a hill about three miles west of the Mobile River, was laid out by Col. Thomas H. Cushing. The cantonment was on the site of a spring called Mount Vernon Springs. In 1814, the garrison at Mt. Vernon . . . — Map (db m85911) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Semmes — Semmes Heritage Park
. . . — Map (db m98419) HM
Alabama (Mobile County), Theodore — The Story of Bellingrath GardensA Gift to Posterity
(plaque 1) The site of the famed gardens was originally a semi-tropical jungle on the Isle-Aux-Coirs River. In 1917 the property was acquired for a private fishing lodge by Walter and Bessie Morse Bellingrath… The primeval beauty of the . . . — Map (db m100526)

95 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement