HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Monongalia County Markers
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Blacksville — Blacksville
Site of Baldwin blockhouse, 1770-1775. Brice and Nathan Worley settled here in 1766. Nathan was killed by Indians in 1777. Laid out as a town in 1829 and lots sold through a lottery. Town is named for David Black, early settler. — Map (db m73798) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Blacksville — Mason-Dixon Line
Made famous as line between free and slave states before War Between the States. The survey establishing Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary began, 1763; halted by Indian wars, 1767; continued to southwest corner, 1782; marked, 1784. — Map (db m73800) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Blacksville — Statler's Fort
John Statler built a fort here in 1770. In its vicinity a number of settlers were Indian victims in 1777 and 18 white men lost their lives the next year. Later Statler himself and companions were massacred. — Map (db m73801) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Coopers Rock State Forest — Henry Clay Furnace
West, in Coopers Rock State Forest, is the Henry Clay cold blast furnace, built 1834-36 by Leonard Lamp. It had capacity for four tons pig iron per day, and furnished employment for 200 people. Sold to Ellicots in 1837. Operated until 1847. — Map (db m74515) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Coopers Rock State Forest — Henry Clay Iron Furnace
Henry Clay Furnace, located on Quarry Run, was built between 1834 and 1836 by Leonard Laws for Tassey and Bissell. It was a cold-blast furnace and produced 4 tons of pig iron each 24 hours. It was one of several furnaces that were operated in this area during the nineteenth century and was used until about 1847. About 200 people were employed at the furnace. It was the center of a community of over one hundred dwellings with a store, church, and schoolhouse. Ownership of the furnace . . . — Map (db m74511) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Coopers Rock State Forest — Salt Sand
The massive pebbly Connoquenessing Sandstone, one of the “Salt Sands”of the driller, forms Coopers Rock. The “Salt Sands” produce oil and natural gas in West Virginia and commercial brines on the Kanawha and Ohio Rivers. — Map (db m74548) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Everttville — Everettville Mine Disaster
On April 30, 1927, Federal No. 3 Mine exploded, killing at least 97 miners. Nine men inside survived the blast and soon reached safety. Using oxygen breathing apparatus, 21 teams conducted rescue efforts until May 24, containing fires as they went. Investigators concluded that a storage-battery locomotive spark ignited built-up methane gas and coal dust spread the explosion. — Map (db m74653) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Maidsville — Catawba War Path
Warrior Branch of the Great Catawba Indian War Path. Here are located the three crossings of Dunkard Creek by Mason and Dixon. Here the Chief of the Six Nations Indians declared that he "would not proceed one step further." Here hostile Shawnees and Delaware Indians ordered them to stop. The Mason-Dixon survey ended on the next high ridge on Brown's Hill. — Map (db m73799) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Maidsville — Fort Martin
Fort Martin was built in 1769 by Colonel Charles Martin. Three settlers were killed and seven captured near the fort in 1779. At the Methodist Episcopal Church here Bishop Francis Asbury preached in 1784. — Map (db m74599) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MO1 — 201st Infantry/ Field Artillery
This National Guard unit traces it origins to Capt. Morgan Morgan, who formed the company Feb. 17, 1735. It served with Washington's militia in Braddock's 1755 campaign. At the outset of the Revolution he called upon these fighting men to "drive the invaders from our land." One of the oldest and still active military units, the 201st has fought or trained men for every conflict involving the U.S. — Map (db m73352) WM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Core Arboretum
The Core Arboretum was part of the Krepps Farm until 1948, when West Virginia University purchased land for the Evansdale campus. The WVU Department of Biology manages the 91 acre arboretum as a place for research, study, exercise and quiet recreation. Three miles of arboretum trails provide access to 300 kinds of trees and 300 species of herbaceous plants. 180 species of birds have been seen at the arboretum. Interpretive signs provide information about plants, wildlife, human history and . . . — Map (db m75114) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Dents Run Covered Bridge
S331-43/4-1.82 Dents Run Covered Bridge, Bridge No. 4358, Built circa 1889, rehabilitated 2004 — Map (db m73386) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Dunkard Sands
The Buffalo and Mahoning sandstones, the "Dunkard Sands" of the driller, are exposed in the road cuts and merge to form a great cliff at Raven Rock. They produce oil and natural gas in northern and western West Virginia. — Map (db m73376) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Easton Roller Mill
Steam driven grist mill, built ca. 1870 by Henry Koontz, could grind 120 bu. of grain daily. Stone burrs were replaced with iron rollers in 1894, improving output and quality, and representing peak technological development for a local flour mill. Several owners operated mill before changes in marketing and consumer habits, coupled with reduced local grain supply, forced closing in 1930. — Map (db m14087) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — First Pottery
The first pottery in West Virginia was founded here about 1785 and the making of pottery was important before 1800. John Scott, Jacob Foulk, John Thompson, and Francis Billingsley were among the first potters. — Map (db m73358) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Fort Pierpont
John Pierpont, Revolutionary soldier and the son-in-law of Zackquill Morgan, built a fort in 1769. Washington was his guest in 1784. Here was born Francis H. Pierpont, who played an important part in the formation of West Virginia. — Map (db m73351) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — George Washington Stopped Here
One half mile north of this marker stood the house where George Washington stopped in September 1784 and conferred with leading men of this section “pursuing my inquiries respecting the navigation of the western waters”. Eager to investigate the Cheat River and the Monongahela River he sought out Samuel Hanway “the surveyor of Monongahela County” and he also sent to the court house in Morgan Town for Zackquill Morgan and others “who would have it in their power to . . . — Map (db m73343) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MO2 — Harmony Grove Church
Built before the Civil War on land donated by Rufus E. and Elizabeth Conn in 1854, this church was the meetinghouse for congregations of Episcopal, Presbyterian , Methodist Episcopal, and Methodist Protestant denominations. It was placed on the National Register in 1983. — Map (db m64093) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Ice’s Ferry
Ice's Ferry was settled by Frederick Ice in 1767. His son Adam, born the same year, was the first white child born in Monongahela Valley. Andrew Ice in 1785 started the first authorized ferry in western Virginia. — Map (db m73337) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Mason Dixon Line
Made famous as line between free and slave states before War Between the States. The survey establishing Maryland-Pennsylvania boundary began 1763; halted by Indian wars, 1767; continued to southwest corner, 1782; marked, 1784. — Map (db m73341) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia Arts Center
Built in 1913 and 1914 under the direction of U.S. Department of Treasury Supervising Architect Oscar Wenderoth and at a cost of $97,000, this cut stone and marble Neoclassical structure housed the U.S. Postal Service and federal agencies in Morgantown for 58 years. The Federal Government vacated the building in 1973 and two years later it was purchased by the Louis F. Tanner family which presented the historic portion of the building to the community as a regional arts center. Monongalia Arts . . . — Map (db m16098) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County Courthouse
Monongolia County was established in 1776 from the Virginia District of West Augusta and named for the Monongahela River. When the Mason Dixon line was formally recognized in 1783, officials determined that the first meeting place of the county court (now the county commission) was actually in Pennsylvania, so the court met at the home of Zackquill Morgan until a new courthouse was erected. The second courthouse was finished 1784 at a cost of $250. After its demolition, a third building was . . . — Map (db m74621) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County War Memorial
In memory of Monongalia's sons “They fought for the freedom of others.” In memory of “Our Sons” who fought for the freedom of the world, 1917-1918 In memory of “Our Women” who sacrificed for the freedom of the world, 1917-1918 “In memory of Monongalia's Sons, who fought for liberty. Rest in Peace.” Defenders of the Union, 1861-1865 Spanish American War 1898 — Map (db m20692) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Monongalia County/Pennsylvania
Side A Monongalia County Formed, 1776, from District of West Augusta. All or parts of 21 other counties, including three in Pennsylvania, were carved from it. Named for the Monongahela River, bearing an Indian name, which means the "River of Caving Banks". Side B Pennsylvania Named for William Penn to whom it was granted in 1681 by Charles III. In 1682, Penn made his first settlement at Philadelphia. Early settlements had been made by the Swedes in . . . — Map (db m69903) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — MorgantownWestover Bridge — Jones-Imboden Raid
On April 20, 1863, Confederate Gens. William E. “Grumble” Jones and John D. Imboden began a raid from Virginia through present-day West Virginia on the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. Taking separate routes, they later reported that they marched 1,100 miles, fought several engagements, captured 700 Federals, seized about 1,200 horses and 4,000 cattle, and burned 4 turnpike bridges, more than 20 railroad bridges, 2 trains, and 150,000 barrels of oil. Most bridges were soon repaired. . . . — Map (db m73375) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Old Iron Works
Iron furnaces were busy in Monongalia County at early date. At Rock Forge, Samuel Hanway started work, 1798, and on Cheat River, Samuel Jackson built a furnace. The latter plant, under the Ellicotts, worked 1200 men. — Map (db m73360) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Old Stone House
Oldest stone house in Monongalia County. By legend built by Jacob Nuze on original lot 25. Sold 1795 to tavern-keeper Henry Dering. Owned 1800 - 1813 by potters John Thompson and Jacob Foulk. Bought by Joseph Shackelford who operated a tanyard here for 50 years. A minister, he led the first Methodist reform movement in the area. First Methodist-Protestant Church formed here, 1830. Sold to Frank Cox and George Baker, 1895. Used as a dwelling and tailor shop. Occupied by Morgantown Service . . . — Map (db m64090) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Seneca Glass Company
In 1891, a small group of glass-making artisans from Seneca County, Ohio, founded the Seneca Glass Company. For almost 100 years, Seneca Glass Company’s highly skilled craftspeople manufactured glassware and exquisitely etched lead crystal by hand, sometimes taking twelve man hours to produce a single goblet. Elmer Jacobs, a prominent Morgantown architect, designed the towering 100-foot conical glass furnace and a large part of the original brick factory. Skilled people were necessary in a . . . — Map (db m74624) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — Site of the Birthplace of David Adam IceAugust 5, 1767 — July 5, 1851
Revolutionary Soldier 1780–81. First white child born in West Virginia. Son of Frederick Ice, who hewed these millstones from the adjacent hill, installed them on Buffalo Creek, Barrackville W. Va. in the mill operated by his descendants for 135 years. Also the site of Ice’s Ferry where Washington Crossed the Cheat River in 1784. — Map (db m74550) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — VFW Post 548 Veterans Memorials
In memory of the members of General Daniel Morgan Post No. 548 Veterans of Foreign Wars of the U.S.A. who gave their lives in service in World War II George C. Phillips • John J. Luteman • Clarence Prager • Barton W. Core • James W. Propst • DeSales R. Cotter — Map (db m14088) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia / Pennsylvania
West Virginia (Monongalia County). “The Mountain State”—western part of the Commonwealth of Virginia until June 20, 1863. Settled by the Germans and Scotch-Irish. It became a line of defense between the English and French during the French and Indian War, 1754-1763. Pennsylvania. Named for William Penn to whom it was granted in 1681 by Charles II. In 1682, Penn made his first settlement Philadelphia. Early settlements had been made by Swedes in 1838. It was one of the thirteen original colonies. — Map (db m73342) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Morgantown — West Virginia University
Founded by the Legislature on February 7, 1867 as the Agricultural College of West Virginia under terms of the Federal Land-Grant Act of 1862. On December 4, 1868, the name was changed to West Virginia University. — Map (db m74626) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Pentress — Border Heroine
Frontier narratives record many hostilities between settlers and Native Americans. One account states Mrs. Bozarth, in a hand-to-hand fight, armed with axe only, killed three men during a 1779 attack on her cabin at the Dunkard Creek settlement. — Map (db m1031) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Pentress — Catawba War Path
Branch of Warrior Trail of the Great Catawba Indian War Path located here where Mason and Dixon Survey crossed Dunkard Creek for third time. Guide, Six Nations Indians’ chief, declared he “would not proceed one step further,” because hostile Delaware and Shawnee Indians had ordered them to halt. On Oct. 18, 1767, western end of original Mason-Dixon Line was set on the next high peak, Brown’s Hill. — Map (db m1044) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Pursglove — Scotts Run/The First Shack
Scotts Run By the 1930s 10,000 residents representing 28 nationalities and tied to the coal industry crowded the hillsides, victims of severe poverty brought on by a coal recession and Great Depression. "The Shack" and Scotts Run Settlement House brought needed services and interest of First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt in relief programs.

The First Shack North 50 feet was first site for "The Shack", community center set up by Presbyterian mission worker Mary Behner to serve mining . . . — Map (db m50473) HM

West Virginia (Monongalia County), Stewartstown — “The Baptist Church at the Forks of Cheat”Established November 1775
The oldest denomination of Christians west of the mountains on the Waters of the Cheat and Monongahela Rivers in the Commonwealth of Virginia (now West Virginia). First meeting house erected of logs on the highest point in the graveyard near Cedar. Second meeting house was built in 1803 after the first one was consumed by fire about 200 feet south of the first church of "the following dimentions that is to say, square loggs of 28 feet in length, 22 feet in breadth, and twelve loggs . . . — Map (db m74598) HM
West Virginia (Monongalia County), Stewartstown — Stewartstown
William Stewart settled here in 1771. Northeast was Fort Dinwiddie. Forks of Cheat Baptist Church was organized here, 1775, by John Corbley, the pioneer minister, whose family was massacred later by the Indians. — Map (db m74597) HM
37 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 108 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.