|Alabama (Montgomery County), Lapine — Fair Prospect Cemetery Montgomery County|
|Atop this hill lies Fair Prospect Cemetery, established in the 1840s as part of Fair Prospect Church. Land was donated for the church and cemetery by Benjamin Mitchell (1765-1848) and his wife Jane Scrimpton Mitchell (1775-1850). The location of their graves is unknown. The earliest marked burials date to 1851 and the cemetery is still active today. Justus M. Barnes, founder of Strata Academy, was a leader in the congregation and his parents are buried here. In the 1870s, the church burned . . . — Map (db m54735) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — 1Lt Karl W. Richter — Killed in Action July 28, 1967, North Vietnam — Of The Warrior Breed|
"Whom shall I send, and who will go for us?...
Here am I. Send me."
"Here dead lie we because we did not choose to live and shame the land from which we sprung. Life to be sure is nothing much to lose, but young men think it is, and we were young."
[Unveiled 13 June 1992] — Map (db m64566) HM WM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Air University / Maxwell Air Force Base|
The Air Corps Tactical School moved to Maxwell in 1931. Brilliant young officers like Chennault, Eaker, Fairchild, Hansell, Kuter, LeMay, Quesada, and Vandenberg formulated the aerial strategies and tactics employed in World War II. In 1940, Maxwell became the home of HQ Southeast Air Corps Training Center responsible for pilot, Navigator and bombardier training, producing over 100,000 aviation cadets. Air University was established in 1946 as the USAF . . . — Map (db m64437) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Air University Commanders|
Maj Gen Muir S. Fairchild
February 1946 – May 1948
Maj Gen Robert W. Harper
May 1948 – October 1948
Gen George C. Kenney
November 1948 – July 1951
Lt Gen Idwal H. Edwards
August 1951 – February 1953
Lt Gen Laurence S. Kuter
April 1953 – May 1955
Lt Gen Dean G. Strother
May 1955 – Jun 1958
Lt Gen Walter E. Todd
August 1958 – July 1961
Lt Gen Troup Miller, Jr.
August 1961 – . . . — Map (db m64368) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — AU "Thinks War"|
Post-Vietnam Era marked a turning point for AU. Lt Gen Furlong, AU commander, launched a three year campaign to overhaul the curriculum which became known as “Putting the ‘War’ back into War College.” Between 1975 and 1976 AU gained five new functions, greatly expanding its mission.
”Air University epitomizes all that we have fought for in our efforts to build a strong defense structure that will always meet the requirements of the hour.”
Honorable Lister Hill, Alabama Senator, 2 Sep 1947 — Map (db m64375) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Boeing B-52D "Stratofortress"|
Remaining in operation longer than any bomber in U.S. military history, the B-52 was the Strategic Air Command's principal long-range heavy bomber from the time it became operational in 1955. Affectionately known as the BUFF (Big Ugly Fat Fellow), it first flew on April 15, 1952. Nearly 750 B-52s (170 of them B-52Ds) had been built when production ended in October 1962. The B-52Ds were modified to carry the largest conventional bomb load of any in the series and due to the "Big Belly" and . . . — Map (db m64474) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — British and Commonwealth Pilots Trained in the U.S.A.|
In 1941, before Pearl Harbour, President Franklin D. Roosevelt agreed with Prime Minister Winston S. Churchill, to provide flight training for British and Commonwealth pilots in the U.S.A. by the U.S. Army Air Corps.
Over 4,000 pilots were trained, some of them at this airfield, and many of them lost their lives in air operations against our common enemies.
This plaque is placed in remembrance by those who by the grace of God survived.
September 1996 — Map (db m64476) HM WM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Cessna T-41A "Mescalero"|
The Cessna T-41 was derived from a standard Cessna Model 172 light aviation aircraft. Between 1965 and 1969 the USAF purchased 211 T-41A variants "off the shelf" for the preliminary flight screening of pilot candidates; another 52 T-41C variants were obtained in 1968-69 for use by the Air Force Academy. The T-41 also saw service in the U.S. Army, and large numbers were exported to friendly nations under the Military Assistance Program.
This T-41A aircraft (AF Ser. 67-14977) was built in . . . — Map (db m64482) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Changing Roles of AU|
Charged with developing doctrines and concepts for the employment of air power, AU produced the first basic doctrine manuals for the Air Force. AU also gained notoriety with projects such as Corona Harvest, which studied and developed lessons learned during the Vietnam Conflict – the first time a study was conducted while a conflict was in progress.
”We must not only be prepared for the peace to come, we must be prepared to preserve it.”
General Hap Arnold, 1 Aug 1945 — Map (db m64374) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Chennault Circle|
To accommodate expansion of programs, a five million dollar construction project began in 1954 to give AU a modern, integrated academic center with a collegiate atmosphere and facilities in keeping with its educational mission.
We’re entrusting to General Kuter the future of the Air Force for it is here at Air University that we either make or break the Air Force.”
General Hoyt S. Vandenberg, 28 Feb 1953 — Map (db m64372) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Establishment of Air University 1946|
The Army Air Forces school was assigned its first commander, Major General Muir S. Fairchild, in February 1946, and renamed Air University in March. The dedication ceremony occurred 3 Sep 1946. The first classes at the Air War College and the Air Command and Staff School began 4 Sep 1946.
”We conceive it to be the high and noble goal of Air University to educate and to aid in producing the planners and future leaders of that Air Force.”
General Muir S. Fairchild, 3 Sep 1946 — Map (db m64370) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Expansion of Air University|
During the early 1950’s, Air Force leaders decided to consolidate and relocate professional military and continuing education activities, as well as commissioning and specialized schools to Maxwell and Gunter Air Force Bases.
”(Air University’s) anticipated influence is measured only by the reach of Air Power. Its horizon is unlimited.”
General Carl Spaatz, 3 Sep 1946 — Map (db m64371) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Former POWs And Those MIA|
In honor of former
Prisoners of War
Missing in Action
2 October 1987 — Map (db m64438) WM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — General Larry D. Welch — 12th Chief of Staff of the United States Air Force — Served 1951 - 1990, Aviation Cadet 1953|
General (ret) Welch was born in 1934 in Guymon, Okla., and graduated from Liberal (Kan.) High School in 1952. He enlisted in the Kansas National Guard in October 1951, serving with the 161st Armored Field Artillery until enlisting in the U.S. Air Force. In November 1953, he entered the aviation cadet program and subsequently received his pilot wings and commission as a second lieutenant. He served initially as a flight instructor until his assignment in July 1958 to Headquarters, Air . . . — Map (db m64500) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Joint Programs|
Air University began new Air War College and Air Command and Staff College programs in 1987 which met newly mandated “Joint” education requirements. These programs emphasized joint war fighting.
”The basic reason for the essentiality of Air University lies in the fact that it trains, prepares, and inspires the future leaders of all our commands.”
Lieutenant General Ira C. Eaker, 17 Mar 1961 — Map (db m64378) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Lt. William C. Maxwell / Air Force ROTC|
Lt. William C. Maxwell (Side A)
William Calvin Maxwell was born Nov. 9, 1892 in Natchez, Ala. An Army ROTC student at the University of Alabama, he left in 1917 to enlist in the Army. He received his commission in April 1918, after completing flight training at Kelly Field, Texas. In 1919, he was assigned to 3rd Aero Squadron, Philippines. On August 12, 1920, engine trouble forced Lt. Maxwell to attempt to land his DH-4 in a sugarcane field. Maneuvering to avoid a group of children . . . — Map (db m64367) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Major General James Harrison Wilson, USV — Wilson's Raiders|
Major General James Harrison Wilson, USV
Exceptional American soldier, born Illinois, West Point Class of 1860, MG at 27. Civil War service: Port Royal 1861-62, Aide to McClellan '62; Vicksburg and Chattanooga Campaigns, Grant's staff '63-64, Chief of Cavalry Bureau '64; Wilderness and Valley Campaigns, Commander Cavalry Division, Sherman's Corps'64; Franklin, Nashville, AL & GA '64-65. Retired from Army 1870; pursued railroading career in U.S., Latin America, . . . — Map (db m64436) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — McDonnell Douglas F-4D "Phantom II"|
First flown in May 1958, the Phantom II originally was developed for U.S. Navy fleet defense and entered service in 1961. The USAF evaluated it for close air support, interdiction, and counter-air operations and, in 1962, approved a USAF version. The USAF's Phantom II, designated F-4C, made its first flight in November 1963. The F-4D was an improved F-4C and made its first flight on December 9, 1965. The F-4D offered an improved bombing and air-to-air capability. The USAF credited F-4D . . . — Map (db m64504) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — McDonnell RF-101C "Voodoo"|
Ordered in 1951 by the Strategic Air command as a long-range escort fighter, the F-101 lineage included several versions: Low-altitude fighter-bomber; photo-reconnaissance; two-seat interceptor; and transition trainer. To accelerate production, no prototypes were built and the first Voodoo, an F-101A, made its initial flight on September 29, 1954. When production ended in March 1961, nearly 800 Voodoos had been built. Development of the unarmed RF-101, the world's first supersonic . . . — Map (db m64503) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Montgomery Chapter of the American Ex-Prisoners of War — In Honor Of|
September 17, 1999
Non Solum Armis — Map (db m64439) WM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Monument to Powered Flight|
In tribute to the perseverance and achievements of the Wright Brothers and the leadership and foresight of the Citizens of Montgomery, Alabama. Together they established the nation's first school of civil aviation in March, 1910, launching America on her journey to the stars.
18 September 1985 — Map (db m64567) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — North American B-25 Mitchell|
The North American B-25 Mitchell, named after America's greatest military martyr (Gen Billy Mitchell), made its maiden flight on 19 August 1940 and was ordered in large numbers straight off the drawing board by the Army Air Corps. Internal improvements, armament innovations, and engine changes resulted in several variants, including the B-25G which was armed with a 75mm cannon in the nose - the largest gun ever carried in an aircraft up to that time. The most lethal of all versions was the . . . — Map (db m64449) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — North American F-100D "Super Sabre"|
Developed as a follow-on to the F-86 Sabrejet used in the Korean Conflict, the F-100 was the world's first production airplane capable of flying faster than the speed of sound in level flight (760 mph). The prototype, the YF-100A, made its first flight on May 25, 1953, at Edwards Air Force Base, California. Of the 2,294 F-100s built before production ended in 1959, 1,274 were F-100Ds, more than all other series combined. The F-100D, which made its first flight on January 24, 1956, was the . . . — Map (db m64553) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — North American F-86A "Sabre"|
The F-86, the USAF's first swept-wing jet fighter, made its initial flight on October 1, 1947. The first production mode flew on May 20, 1948, and on September 15, 1948, an F-86A set a new world speed record of 670.9 mph. Originally designed as a high-altitude day fighter, it was subsequently redesigned into an all-weather interceptor (F-86D) and a fighter-bomber (F-86H).
As a day fighter, the airplane saw service in Korea in three successive series (F-86A, E, and F), where it engaged . . . — Map (db m64586) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Northrop T-38A "Talon"|
In the mid-1950s, the USAF required a trainer with higher performance than the T-33 to better prepare student pilots for the latest tactical aircraft that were then coming into service. The aircraft chosen was the T-38A which offered high performance with low maintenance and operating costs. Destined to become the USAF's first supersonic trainer, the T-38A prototype first flew on April 10, 1959, and production continued until 1972. A total of 1,189 T-38As were built. Some were later . . . — Map (db m64433) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Reorganization|
During the late 1950’s three courses at Air Command and Staff College: the Weapons course, the Squadron Officer course, and the Academic Instructor course, became separate schools under the AU umbrella.
”…It is regrettable that what is being done at the Air University is not known by the millions of our citizens; they would worry less and sleep better.”
Lieutenant General Harold L. George, 5 Feb 1954 — Map (db m64373) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Reorganization|
HQ USAF realigned AU under Air Training Command (ATC) in 1978. For five years AU remained a part of ATC. On 1 July 1983, AU regained its major command status. ROTC was reassigned to ATC. The College of Aerospace Doctrine, Research and Education, was born to research and analyze current and future issues of concern to the USAF.
”Air University turns out tomorrow’s leaders.”
Army Times Headlines, 1 Mar 1947 — Map (db m64376) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Republic F-105D "Thunderchief"|
In 1951, Republic Aviation began a project to develop a supersonic tactical fighter-bomber to replace the F-84F. The result was the F-105 "Thunderchief," later affectionately nicknamed the "Thud." The prototype YF-105A first flew on October 22, 1955, but the first F-105D did not fly until June 9, 1959. F-105s were produced in the single-seat F-105B and F-105D series, and in the two-seat F-105F model. Later, some F-105Fs were modified to become F-105Gs. A total of 833 Thunderchiefs of all . . . — Map (db m64505) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Sikorsky MH-53M 'Pave Low IV' Helicopter|
The Sikorsky MH-53 is a variant of the USAF's HH-53 'Super Jolly Green Giant' air rescue helicopter, which was developed in turn from the US Navy's CH-53 'Sea Stallion' heavy lift helicopter. The MH-53 has been optimized for long-range infiltration, exfiltration and resupply of special operations forces in darkness or marginal weather flying conditions. The USAF began using early models of this helicopter for special operations missions in the late 1960s, and later versions continued to . . . — Map (db m64451) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The Air Power Legacy|
In 1931 Maxwell Field began its mission to educate Army Air Corps officers in strategy, tactics, and techniques of air power. Many early Air Force leaders attended Air Corps Tactical School here including Generals Vandenberg, Twining, White, and LeMay.
”If we should have to fight, we should be prepared to do so from the neck up instead of the neck down.”
General Jimmy Doolittle — Map (db m64369) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The Next Fifty Years|
The tradition of excellence established by Air University pioneers will continue throughout the next fifty years… AU’s ability to educate people and develop critical thinkers is a mission that continues today. Now, more than ever, the United States needs dedicated leaders and visionaries to guide us successfully through an uncertain future. Air University has always produced such men and women and will continue to do so well into the twenty-first century.
The founding of Air . . . — Map (db m64427) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — The Thunderbirds — The Epitome of Teamwork|
All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful, yet, for those who are trained by it, afterwards, it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.
Maj. Norman L. Lowry III
Capt. Willie T. Mays
Capt. Joseph "Pete" Peterson
Capt. Mark E. Melancon
We salute your commitment to duty, honor, and country. — Map (db m64484) WM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — William R. Lawley, Jr. — Colonel USAF (Ret) — 1920 - 1999|
Recipient of the
Medal of Honor
Intrepidity in Action
20 February 1944
Mission on 20 February 1944
Target: Leipzig, Germany
1st. Lt. William R. Lawley, Jr. & Crew
305th Bomb Group 8th Air Force
United States Army Air Corps
European Theater of Operations
[Dedicated 3 November 2000] — Map (db m64450) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Maxwell Air Force Base — Year of Training|
Deva vu, once again, 1993, AU was aligned with ATC but this time to form Air Education and Training Command. Enlisted professional military education was consolidated, Officers Training School moved to Maxwell, and ROTC and CCAF were again part of AU. Warfighting courses for flag officers and staff officers increased and mandatory commanders courses began.
”Smart systems, smaller forces, and an uncertain future require Brilliant Warriors.”
Lieutenant General Jay Kelley, 16 Aug 96 — Map (db m64425) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 167th Infantry / Alabama’s Own — (4th Alabama)|
|An Alabama regiment was formed in 1836 to defend Fort Foster in Florida. Same unit, designated the 1st Alabama Volunteers ten years later, served in Mexican War. Mustered again May 4, 1861 as the 4th Alabama Infantry Regiment, it fought in every major battle in the Eastern Theater of the Civil War. The 4th distinguished itself in Battle of Manassas, the first major battle of the War, when it plugged gap in Confederate lines beside Brig. Gen. T. J. Jackson’s brigade and repulsed several Union . . . — Map (db m38897) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 37th Division The Buckeye Division — World War I / World War II & Korea|
| World War I
Camp Sheridan was the site of the August 1917 organization of the Buckeye Division, made up of Ohio National Guardsmen who previously had been serving on the Mexican Border.
After training, the 37th went to France in June 1918, fighting in the Lorraine, Ypres - Lys, and Meuse - Argonne Campaigns. It took 5,387 casualties and won a Medal of Honor before returning to the U.S. in March 1919 to be demobilized.
2nd Lieutenant Albert E. Baesel, 148th Infantry, was awarded the . . . — Map (db m38895) WM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — 9th Infantry Division / “The Old Reliables”|
|The 9th Division was organized on 18 July 1918 at Camp Sheridan for service in World War I. When the War ended, 11 November 1918, deployment of the Division to France was canceled and it was demobilized on 15 February 1919. Reactivated on 1 August 1940, 9th Infantry Division soldiers fought valiantly in 8 crucial World War II campaigns in North Africa, Sicily, France, Belgium, and Germany. After a short inactivation, the 9th returned to the active force on 15 July 1947 as a training division at . . . — Map (db m38898) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — A County Older Than the State — Montgomery County — 1816|
| Created by Mississippi Territorial Legislature from lands ceded by Creek Indian Nation in Treaty of Fort Jackson, 1814. Named for Major Lemuel Purnell Montgomery, killed at Horseshoe Bend, 1814, while leading charge on Indian fortifications. During Colonial times many Indians lived in this area which was claimed by Spanish Florida and French Louisiana, British Carolina, Georgia and West Florida, and Spanish West Florida. The City of Montgomery, incorporated 1819 by Alabama Territorial . . . — Map (db m36579) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — A Nation Divided / Cradle of the Confederacy|
|The Alabama State Capitol served as the symbol and meeting place for the government of the newly formed Confederate States of America for 4 months in early 1861. Growing controversy over slavery and states' rights, climaxed by Abraham Lincoln's election as U.S. president in Nov. 1860, prompted the secession of 7 Southern states, including Alabama, by early Feb. 1861. On Feb. 4, delegates from 6 of these states convened in the Senate Chamber of the Capitol to organize a separate government. In . . . — Map (db m36507) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama Confederate Monument — 1861-1865 — Consecrated to the memory of the Confederate Soldiers and Seamen.|
| South/Infantry Side "Fame's temple boasts no higher name, no king is grander on his throne: No glory shines with brighter gleam, the name of "Patriot" stands along." C.T.R. East/Artillery Side "When this historic shaft shall crumbling lie in ages hence, in woman's heart will be, a folded flag, a thrilling page unrolled, a deathless song of Southern chivalry." I.M.P.O. North/Navy Side "The seamen of Confederate fame startled the wondering world: for braver fight was never . . . — Map (db m36656) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama Governor's Mansion — Built 1907|
|For almost the first century of statehood, Alabama's governors lived in private homes or hotels while in office. In 1911 the state acquired the Moses Sable home on South Perry Street for the governor's residence. Lined with fine houses, Perry was regarded as "the Fifth Avenue" of the Capital City. In 1950, Gov. Jim Folsom favored buying a Neo-Classical Revival mansion six blocks south. This residence, designed by architect Weatherly Carter in 1907 for Adjutant General Robert Fulwood Ligon, was . . . — Map (db m25413) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama Highway Patrol|
|At this location the Alabama Highway Patrol was commissioned by Governor Bibb Graves Jan. 10, 1936 — Map (db m36638) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama River: The Grand Avenue|
|Twelve miles above Montgomery the Coosa and Tallapoosa rivers unite to form the Alabama which meanders over four hundred miles on its way to Mobile Bay. This river has played major role in region's history, being a thoroughfare for Native Americans, European explorers, and Americans who settled along its fertile shores and used it as a means of getting cotton to Mobile and world markets. Ferries served the population until the building of Tyler Goodwyn and Reese's Ferry bridges in the first . . . — Map (db m26591) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama State University / Tullibody|
| Side A Founded 1866 as the Abraham Lincoln Normal School in Marion. Alabama by nine former slaves. Operated from 1868 until 1874 by the American Missionary Association. The school began to receive state funding in 1874, making it the first state-assisted normal school and university for blacks in Alabama. Moving from Marion to Montgomery in 1887, the school's classes initially were held in black churches. The institution had several name changes. Finally becoming Alabama State . . . — Map (db m28638) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Alabama's First Capitals|
|On March 3, 1817, Congress designated the town of St. Stephens on the Tombigbee River north of Mobile as capital of the newly formed Alabama Territory. There in 1818, the territorial legislature named Huntsville as the temporary seat of government and Cahawba (near present-day Selma) as the first permanent capitol. The constitutional convention and legislature met in Huntsville and on December 14, 1819, Alabama was admitted into the Union. Meanwhile a suitable building was erected at Cahawba. . . . — Map (db m36642) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Black Members of the Alabama Legislature Who Served During The Reconstruction Period of 1868-1879|
|1868-1869: Senate: Benjamin F. Royal, Bullock; House: Benjamin Alexander, Greene; James H. Alston, Macon; Samuel Blandon, Lee; John Carraway, Mobile; George Cox, Montgomery; Thomas H. Diggs, Barbour; Joseph Drawn, Dallas; Ovide Gregory, Mobile; James K. Greene, Hale; Daniel H. Hall, Bullock; George Houston, Sumter; Benjamin Inge, Sumter; Columbus Jones, Madison; Shandy Wesley Jones, . . . — Map (db m46414) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Camp Sheridan|
|From Division Headquarters, located at this point from August 1917 to May 1918, was directed the training of the Thirty Seventh Division, National Guard Troops of Ohio, for Service in the World War.
The Relief map below indicates the locations of the various units of the Division while in Camp Sheridan.
Index To Map
1• HDQRS. 37th. Div.
2• TN. HDQRS. & M.P.
3• 112th FLD. SIG. BN.
4• 112th. SAN. TN.
A• 145th. INF.
B• 146th. INF.
C• 134th. M.G. BN.
D• 135th. M.G. . . . — Map (db m38899) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — City of Montgomery / Court Square|
|City of Montgomery Two small villages, New Philadelphia, founded by Massachusetts lawyer Andrew Dexter in 1817, and East Alabama, established by Georgians led by John Scott in 1818, united in 1819 to form Montgomery, named for Revolutionary hero Gen. Richard Montgomery. Connecting at Court Square, the two towns principal streets were Philadelphia's Market Street (Dexter Avenue) and East Alabama's Main Street (Commerce Street). First courthouse stood to west of artesian well which City . . . — Map (db m35576) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Civil War Medicine / Montgomery's Confederate Hospitals|
|Side A During the War Between the States medical knowledge was primitive. As a result, twice as many men died of disease than in battle from wounds. Early in the War, childhood diseases such as measles, mumps and chicken pox decimated entire camps. Later, the greatest killers were diarrhea, dysentery, typhoid, malaria and pneumonia. Many of those who survived battlefield wounds and amputations later died from infection. Scarcity of medical supplies in the beleaguered South added to the . . . — Map (db m36495) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Court Square Fountain — 1885|
|Placed by the City over Artesian Basin and crowned by Hebe, Goddess of Youth and Cup-bearer to the Gods. Fountain was cast by J.L. Mott Iron Works of New York. Restored by Robinson Iron of Alexander City in 1984 during the administration of Mayor Emory Folmar. — Map (db m36501) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Decorative Lions Heads — 1907-1978 — Presented to Montgomery by First Alabama Bank of Montgomery, N.A.|
|These decorative terra cotta lions heads, typical of the ornamentation used in commercial style architecture in the early part of the 20th century, were utilized by the First National Bank of Montgomery on the cornice of their 12 story building from 1907 to 1978. Organized on April 18, 1871, the first location of the bank was on Dexter Avenue which was then called Market Street. In 1975, the name of the bank was changed to First Alabama Bank of Montgomery, N.A. Extensive renovations to the 12 . . . — Map (db m36646) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Dexter Avenue — Formerly Market Street|
|This street was named to honor Andrew Dexter one of the founders of Montgomery Along this street moved the inaugural parade of Jefferson Davis when he took the oath of office as President of the Confederate States of America February 18, 1861 Dixie was played as a band arrangement for the first time on this occasion. — Map (db m36589) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church — Organized 1877|
|The second black Baptist Church in Montgomery. First pastor was Rev. C. O. Boothe. Present structure built 1885. Designed by Pelham J. Anderson; built by William Watkins, a member of the congregation.
Many prominent black citizens of Montgomery have been members, Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. served as pastor (1954-1960). Montgomery bus boycott organized here December 2, 1955. — Map (db m25128) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Dr. J. Marion Sims|
|This tablet marks the site of the office and infirmary of DR. J. MARION SIMS Here, in 1845, he performed the first closure of a vesico-vaginal fistula with wire suture, using a pewter spoon as speculum. This operation made him famous throughout the world. — Map (db m36576) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — First Baptist Church (Brick-A-Day Church)|
|Organized in 1866, this pioneering congregation grew out of First Baptist Church, now on Perry Street, where early parishioners had worshipped as slaves. The first building, facing Columbus Street, was erected in 1867. Nathan Ashby served as first pastor (1866-70) to over 700 members and as first president of the Colored Baptist Convention of Alabama, now known as the Alabama Baptist State Convention, which was organized here in 1868. The Baptist Foreign Mission Convention, later part of the . . . — Map (db m36499) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — First White House of the Confederacy|
|Designated Executive Residence by the
Provisional Confederate Congress
February 21, 1861. President Jefferson Davis
and his family lived here until the Confederate
Capitol moved to Richmond summer 1861.
Built by William Sayre 1832-35 at Bibb and
Lee Streets. Moved to present location
by the First White House Association and
dedicated June 3, 1921. — Map (db m7581) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — George Washington — 1776 - 1976|
|Presented to the citizens of the State of Alabama honoring our brother George Washington our first Masonic President and in commemoration of 200 years of freedom under our constitutional form of government. — Map (db m36644) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Georgia Gilmore — February 5, 1920 - March 3, 1990|
|Georgia Gilmore, cited as a “solid energetic boycott participant and supporter.” Lived in this house during the days of the Montgomery Bus Boycott. Once arrested on a bus, Gilmore was ardent in her efforts to raise funds for the Movement and organized “Club From Nowhere” whose members baked pies and cakes for sale to both black and white customers. Opening her home to all, she tirelessly cooked meals for participants including Dr. Martin Luther King and Dr. Ralph . . . — Map (db m28197) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Governor Jones House|
|Thomas Goode Jones, governor of Alabama from 1890-1894, occupied this house during his long political career which took him from the Montgomery City Council to a federal judgeship. During his two terms as governor, his home was the Executive Mansion and later frequently used as a federal courtroom. Originally a four room cottage, the house was enlarged by Jones in the early '90s. His son, the noted jurist Walter B. Jones, continued to live in his family home and inaugurated Jones Law School in . . . — Map (db m36585) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Harris House|
| Front Between May 20-24, 1961 Dr. Harris opened this home to a group of 33 students from Nashville, Tennessee, who were challenging interstate bus segregation. Known as the Freedom Riders, the group was attacked at the historic Montgomery Greyhound Bus Station upon arrival and harassed by rioters. In the days following attack, martial law was declared and Harris' home served as a haven for the Freedom Riders. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.,Dr. Ralph D. Abernathy, James Farmer, John Lewis, . . . — Map (db m28134) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — High Red Bluff — (Chunnanugga Chatty in Creek Indian Language)|
|Also called Hostile Bluff or Thirteen Mile Bluff, this spot located in a deep bend of the Alabama River was once the key to the Southeast and a strategic point in Colonial days. The first steamboat , the Harriet, arrived at this point in 1821, and the first railroad came in 1880, making Montgomery a transportation hub for people and commerce. When cotton was king, millions of bales were shipped from the wharf here by steam boat to Mobile and thence to the mills of England. The tunnel under the . . . — Map (db m38574) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — History of the Alabama State Bar|
|On December 13, 1878, a meeting was held in Montgomery for the purpose of forming a bar association, and on January 15, 1879, delegates from each county met for five days at a preliminary conference in the Hall of the House of Representatives. The Constitution and By-laws were adopted and officers elected to serve until the first annual meeting. W.L. Bragg of Montgomery was elected president. An act incorporating the State Bar Association was approved by the governor on February 12, 1879, and . . . — Map (db m36588) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Jefferson Davis — June 3, 1808- December 6, 1889 — Soldier Scholar Statesman|
|A graduate of West Point Military Academy, he served the United States as Colonel of Mississippi Volunteers, Mexican War; member of House of Representatives, Senator, and as Secretary of War. Inaugurated President of the provisional government, Confederate States of America, February 18, 1861. — Map (db m36677) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — John Allan Wyeth — M.D., L.L.D.|
|Confederate Soldier Surgeon and Author Born Marshall County, Ala. 1845 Died New York City 1922 Founder of the New York Polyclinic Medical School and Hospital and of Graduate Medical and Surgical Teaching in America. — Map (db m36639) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Jonathan Coggswell Farley / Montgomery's First Election|
| Side A Jonathan Coggswell Farley 1798-1864Farley acquired two lots on this site in 1817. Here he built both the town's first frame store and first frame two-story building, his house. In Farley's store, an election was held January 3, 1820 to create Montgomery's first governing body. Farley and three others were named in an act of the Alabama General Assembly to conduct and manage this first election. Farley was born in Ipswich, Massachusetts in 1798. About 1816, he sailed from . . . — Map (db m36587) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Josiah Morris — 1818-1891|
|Had his bank on this site 1852-1891. He helped finance Montgomery's business, railroads and industry. Here on Dec. 19, 1870, he bought 4150 acres of land and deeded them to the Elyton Land Co. which later was platted, and on his motion named the City of Birmingham. — Map (db m36648) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Major Charles W. Davis, Infantry United States Army / "Above and Beyond"|
|Major Charles W. Davis A native of Montgomery, graduated of Lanier, alumnus of the Universities of Alabama and Maryland. Major Davis was awarded the Medal of Honor as Executive Officer, 2d Battalion, 27th Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry Division. "For distinguishing himself conspicuously by gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty on Guadalcanal Island. On 12 January 1943, he volunteered to carry instructions to the leading companies of his . . . — Map (db m35299) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Marshall J. Moore House|
|In 1900, Marshall Moore and his wife, Agnes V. McClain commissioned Joseph G. Nesbitt,Sr., an African- American contractor/builder, to construct this Victorian period cottage. The Moores, among the first graduates and early faculty members of Lincoln Normal School in Marion (Perry County), moved to Montgomery in 1887 when the school was relocated here. It was re-named the State Normal School for Colored Students (now Alabama State University).
From 1936 until 1993, the house remained in the . . . — Map (db m38918) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Minister's Home / Dr. Martin Luther King — Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church|
| Side A House built circa 1912. It has been the home of the ministers of Dexter Avenue Baptist Church since 1919. Its most famous occupant, Dr. Martin Luther King , lived here from Sept. 1954-Feb. 1960. During this time he lead the Bus Boycott launching an outstanding career as a world leader for civil rights and humanitarian causes. When a bomb damaged the house on January 31, 1956, Dr. King returned from a Boycott meeting and calmed an angry crowd from the porch, averting possible . . . — Map (db m61095) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery|
|After Horseshoe Bend defeat, Creeks ceded millions of acres to United States. Cotton was in great demand. This area ideal for crop which is still planted on peninsular across river. In 1817, lands went on sale. Andrew Dexter, Massachusetts lawyer, founded village of New Philadelphia (Capitol Area). John Scott and Georgians established Alabama Town on bluff to west. Year later, this group acquired land adjacent to Dexter's, settled East Alabama Town. (Commerce Street). 1819, latter two joined to . . . — Map (db m61802) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Area Chamber of Commerce — The Forefront of Montgomery's Future|
| Side A The first American Chamber of Commerce was organized in New York City in 1770. The Montgomery Chamber was organized in 1873. Thomas Joseph was its first President. The Alabama State Journal stated at its founding, "Montgomery ought to have a Chamber of Commerce. Located in the midst of one of the richest agricultural districts in the South, the political center of the commonwealth, and the commercial center of a large section which obtain here their supplies, the Chamber . . . — Map (db m36568) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery City Hall / Funeral for Hank Williams|
| (Front) Built 1936-37 Following a fire in 1932 that destroyed a 19th century City Hall, architect Frank Lockwood designed a replacement for the same site. With the Depression affecting all construction projects during the period, the city received federal assistance through the Works Progress Administration. Completed in 1937, the City Hall included offices for city officials and an auditorium to accommodate large crowds for public programs, debutante balls and social gatherings. . . . — Map (db m36571) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery County Korean War Veterans|
|In grateful memory of the men and women of Montgomery County who fought for God and country on the field of honor in the Korean War They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old: age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn. At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them. — Map (db m36578) WM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery Theatre|
|Opened in Oct. 1860 as the South moved closer to secession, the theatre was significant in the social, cultural and political life of the city. In the early months, John Wilkes Booth performed here, Bryant Minstrels introduced "Dixie," which was transcribed for the Montgomery Brass Band. Southern leaders Robert Toombs, Alexander Stephens and William L. Yancey addressed packed houses. Later the city's location on route between New Orleans and Atlanta brought performers Edwin Forrest, Joseph . . . — Map (db m36572) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Montgomery’s Slave Markets / First Emancipation Observance - 1866|
| Side A The city’s slave market was at the Artesian Basin (Court Square). Slaves of all ages were auctioned, along with land and livestock, standing in line to be inspected. Public posters advertised sales and included gender, approximate age, first name (slaves did not have last names), skill, price, complexion and owner’s name. In the 1850s, able field hands brought $1,500; skilled artisans $3,000. In 1859, the city had seven auctioneers and four slave depots: one at Market Street . . . — Map (db m28187) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal AME Zion Church|
Located at the heart of Montgomery's historic African-American neighborhoods. Mount Zion A.M.E. Zion Church was constructed in 1899 and heavily remodeled in 1921. It served as a significant Center for religious, political, and social life for blacks in Montgomery throughout most of the twentieth-century.
The seeds of protest were growing in Montgomery long before the arrest of Rosa Parks on December 1, 1955, and the bus boycott. Rev. Solomon Seay, pastor of Mt. Zion from . . . — Map (db m43619) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Murphy House|
| Greek Revival Home built, 1851 by John H. Murphy, cotton broker and an incorporator and director of the Montgomery Water Works Company, chartered 1854. Union Army Provost Marshal's Headquarters 1865. Elks Club 1902-1967 Restored by Montgomery Water Works and Sanitary Sewer Board, 1970 — Map (db m36569) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas Hill — Office Site of Dr. J. Marion Sims|
| (Side A):Office of Dr. Luther Leonidas HillThis early 20th-century building was office of Dr. L.L. Hill who, in 1902, performed first open heart surgery in the Western Hemisphere when he sutured stab wound in young boy's heart. A Montgomerian, Hill graduated in medicine from Jefferson Medical College and the University of the City of New York by the time he was 21. He then studied in London with the world renowned Dr. Joseph Lister. Hill practiced from 1884 until 1932, pioneering new . . . — Map (db m36575) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Old Oakwood Cemetery|
|The city cemetery was begun by donations of land from Andrew Dexter in 1817 and from General John Scott in 1818. Dexter and Scott had founded separate villages which combined to form Montgomery in 1819. The early part of the graveyard was known as Scott's Free Burying Ground. The cemetery was open to all of Montgomery's people. Many of the soldiers and prominent statesmen who shaped our history as well as ordinary citizens, hanged felons, and unknowns rest in Old Oakwood. Nearly 140 acres in . . . — Map (db m36496) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Pickett Springs / “The Best Public Resort”|
| Pickett Springs
Railroad building and amusement park development flourished in the post-bellum South. In 1880s, Western Railroad of Alabama opened Pickett Springs on site of William Harris’s plantation, “Forest Farm;” Harris’s daughter, Sarah, married A. J. Pickett, Alabama’s first historian, and they had their home here until Pickett’s death in 1858.
Pickett Springs occupied portion of land as community of Chisholm developed nearby.
During World War I Camp Sheridan, . . . — Map (db m38900) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Professor John Metcalfe Starke / Starke University School|
| Side A Professor John Metcalfe Starke "Fessor Starke" 1860-1941A native of Virginia, John Metcalfe Starke received his early education in Petersburg and graduated from the University of Virginia in 1882, earning diplomas in Latin and mathematics. He taught in Virginia and North Carolina before coming to Montgomery in 1887 as headmaster for a boys' school organized by prominent local men. Its success caused him to start a school of his own at Hamner Hall. In 1897 he built a building . . . — Map (db m36590) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Louise McCauley Parks / The Bus Stop|
| Side A A Lady of Courage Born in Tuskegee, AL on February 4, 1913, to James McCauley, a carpenter, and Leona Edwards, a teacher. Moved with mother and brother to Pine Level, AL after parents' separation. Enrolled in Mrs. White's School for Girls at age 11 and received her high school diploma from Alabama State Teachers College Laboratory High School. Married Montgomery barber Raymond Parks in 1932; both became active in the National Association for the Advancement of Colored . . . — Map (db m36503) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Rosa Parks Montgomery Bus Boycott / Hank Williams Alabama Troubadour|
| Side A
At the bus stop on this site on December 1, 1955, Mrs. Rosa Parks refused to give up her seat to boarding whites. This brought about her arrest, conviction, and fine. The Boycott began December 5, the day of Parks’ trial, as a protest by African - Americans for unequal treatment they received on the bus line. Refusing to ride the buses, they maintained the Boycott until the U. S. Supreme Court ordered integration of public transportation one year later. Dr. Martin Luther . . . — Map (db m28176) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Selma-to-Montgomery March|
| Side A The Selma-to-Montgomery March ended here on March 25, 1965, when 25,000 civil rights marchers arrived at the Alabama State Capitol to demand the right to vote for African Americans. Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. and other civil rights leaders addressed the marchers and the nation, culminating a series of demonstrations that began in Selma on March 7 - "Bloody Sunday" - when some 600 peaceful protesters were savagely beaten by lawmen as they tried to cross the Edmund Pettus Bridge. . . . — Map (db m62747) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Smith - Joseph - Stratton House|
|Only surviving residence of former Mayor E.B. Joseph. the Italianate cottage was built c. 1855 by Pickett Chauncey Smith, a merchant in antebellum Montgomery, and father-in-law of E.B. Joseph, who occupied the house from 1880 to 1885. Joseph served on the City Council for six years and was Mayor from 1899 to 1903. He helped develop Highland Park, Montgomery's first suburb, and was president of Montgomery's first streetcar system, the first electric system in the United States. From 1913 to 1921 . . . — Map (db m36583) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — St. John's Episcopal Church — Organized 1834|
| Present building erected 1855 under rectorship of Nicholas Hamner Cobbs, first Bishop of Alabama. Primary convention of the Protestant Episcopal Church in the Confederate States of America was held here, July 3-6, 1861. Charles Minnegerode Beckwith, fourth Bishop of Alabama, consecrated here, December 17, 1902. — Map (db m36570) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church|
|St. Peter's Church has occupied this site since a small wooden church, begun in 1833, was built on land donated by Mr. Edward Hanrick. Rt. Rev. Michael Portier, D.D., first Catholic Bishop of Mobile, dedicated the first church on April 25, 1834. A brick structure, comprising most of the present edifice, replaced the original church and was dedicated on September 10, 1852. An extension of twenty-five feet in front -- the current Spanish-style facade and towers -- was added in 1882. — Map (db m36581) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Swayne College / Booker T. Washington School|
| Side A Named for Union General and Freemen’s Bureau Agent Wager Swayne, Swayne College was dedicated 21 April 1869. The Bureau appropriated $10,000 for the building and the local black community purchased 3.5 acres for the site. Future officeholder Elijah Cook submitted the winning location of Union and Grove Streets. The building stood three stories high and was constructed by Henry Duncan with ventilation by Isaac Frazier. George Stanley Pope became the first principal of the school . . . — Map (db m28171) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Telegram Which Began War Between The States|
|Montgomery, April 11, 1861
General Beauregard, Charleston:
Do not desire needlessly to bombard Fort Sumter. If Major Anderson will state the time at which, as indicated by him, he will evacuate, and agree that in the meantime he will not use his guns against us unless ours should be employed against Fort Sumter, you are thus authorized to avoid the effusion of blood. If this or its equivalent be refused, reduce the fort as your judgment decides to be most practicable.
L. P. Walker
Sec. of War. C.S.A. — Map (db m22524) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The First White House of the Confederacy|
| On this site stood the First White House of the Confederacy William Sayre built his townhouse here between 1832 and 1835. On February 21, 1861, the provisional Confederate Congress leased it for the Executive Residence. President Jefferson Davis and his family lived here before the CSA capital moved to Richmond. The White House Association saved the house, moved it next to the Capitol, restored it, dedicated it as a museum, and gave it to the people of Alabama on June 3, 1921. Sponsored . . . — Map (db m62748) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Hon. Rufus A. Lewis — 1906 - 1999|
|Lewis began an earnest voting rights drive in the early 1940s. Credited with registering 4 generations of Montgomery voters. He established Citizenship School that tutored prospective black voters to fill out the literacy text. A barrier before the passage of the 1965 Voting Rights Act. Lewis opened, in 1952 the "Citizens' Club,” a night club for African Americans who were registered voters and who helped others to become voters. Lewis was a graduate of Fisk University and served as . . . — Map (db m28286) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Lightning Route / Central Bank Building|
|The Lightning RouteIn 1886, Montgomery became the first city in the Western Hemisphere to convert an entire street railway system to electricity. The Capital City Street Railway Co. initiated electric trolley service on one mile of the street car line the year before. Civil engineer J. A. Gaboury supervised installation of the system developed by Charles Van de Poele. The car line, fondly known as the "Lightning Route" operated until 1936. Investors in the mass transit system also were . . . — Map (db m35301) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — The Montgomery Theater|
|On a wall in this building, "The Montgomery Theater" Dan Emmett first inscribed the score of Dixie for his minstrel orchestra. H.F. Arnold arranged it for band music and used it at the inauguration of Jefferson Davis President of the Confederacy. February 18, 1861 — Map (db m36574) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Thunderbird Park|
Dedicated by the people of Montgomery to the skilled pilots -- past, present and Future -- who risk and give their lives to demonstrate the capabilities of air power to the American people. The Thunderbirds: the Air Force's Ambassadors in Blue
February 1, 1982
Emory Folmar, Mayor — Map (db m64429) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — To the Memory of General Marquis De La Fayette|
|In grateful recognition of his valiant service and in commemoration of the one hundredth anniversary of his visit to our city — Map (db m36508) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church|
Trinity Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in 1918 at this location by ministers of what later became the American Lutheran Church under whose auspices the congregation organized a day school
on the property across the street. That school served the children in the area and was an integral part of the church's ministry. In 1959 the congregation became part of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. In 2003 Trinity merged with Grace Lutheran Church to become United Evangelical Lutheran . . . — Map (db m43622) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — Union Station & Riverfront Park|
|Transportation center of Montgomery located in this area for many years. First steamboat, the "Harriet," landing nearby 1821. City wharf Constructed at landing place 1823. First railroad, Montgomery & West Point R.R., developed ca. 1840. By 1900 most major railroads in Central Alabama had connections here. Union Station and Tunnel connection to river landing built 1897. Because of decline in river traffic, Tunnel closed 1930. With development of Riverfront Park 1970's, Tunnel reopened. Ramp reopened 1981. — Map (db m22523) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Montgomery — United States Flag Raised Over Alabama Capitol — Apr. 12, 1865|
|MG J.H.Wilson’s Cavalry Corps raised U.S. flag over Alabama’s and Confederacy’s first Capitol on 4/12/65, three days after Lee’s surrender at Appomattox. Wilson had defeated LTG N.B. Forrest’s depleted and vastly outnumbered troops at the Confederate Arsenal city of Selma. Before fleeing Montgomery, BG D.W. Adams, CSA ordered 85,000 bales of cotton and 40,000
bushels of corn set afire to deny them to the Federals. But for the wind’s change and the heroic Montgomery firefighters, the city would . . . — Map (db m4229) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Pintlala — 5 — Federal Road, 1805|
|Between Milledgeville, Ga.
and St. Stephens, Ala.
was two miles west. — Map (db m39770) HM|
|Alabama (Montgomery County), Waugh — Lucas Tavern — Circa 1818|
|Stood 2800 feet north of this point, just west of Line Creek on the Federal Road. Moved to Montgomery in 1978 to serve as the Visitor and Information Center for the Old North Hull Historic District, it is the oldest remaining building in Montgomery County. Original proprietor, James Abercrombie, ran it from about 1818. Walter B. Lucas announced his take over of the tavern in the January 6, 1821 issue of the Montgomery Republican. A four-room frame building with a long central hall, the . . . — Map (db m60906) HM|