Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Montgomery County Pennsylvania – Historical Markers

Abington District World War I Memorial image, Click for more information
By William Fischer, Jr., July 3, 2009
Abington District World War I Memorial
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Abington — Abington District World War I Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of Abington District who answered the call to service in the World War Ernest Lafitte Brautigam James Diodato Aaron M. Welch [They died in service] George R. Ambler, Jr. • Harry A.D. Baer • Albert . . . — Map (db m22840) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Abington — Abington Presbyterian Church Cemetery
Church founded on this site, 1714. Cemetery established, 1719. First recorded burial, 1728. Site of Revolutionary War skirmishes. Burials include pastors and educators notable in Abington, Philadelphia, and Princeton, and veterans of major wars. — Map (db m22347) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Abington — Old Abington Church and Graveyard
The oldest Presbyterian church in Montgomery County and mother church, directly or indirectly, to ten offspring churches. Founded in 1714 by the Rev. Malachi Jones, the first pastor. The original church stood in the center of the graveyard and was . . . — Map (db m22346) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Abington — Reverend Samuel Finley1715 - 1766
President of Princeton University 1751-1766 An original corporator of the Presbyterian Ministers Fund, oldest insurance company in the world. Here also rest the remains of The Reverend Samuel Finley Fifth President of Princeton . . . — Map (db m23324) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Abington — Revolutionary War Patriots Buried in the Abington Presbyterian Church Graveyard
In memory of the Revolutionary War Patriots buried in the graveyard of the Abington Presbyterian Church Private Robert Barnes 1756-1815 Isaac Boileau 1722-1820 2nd Lt. John Houston 1751-1820 Colonel Robert Loller 1740-1808 Captain . . . — Map (db m22348) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Ambler — The Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women
This school was among the first in the nation to educate women for careers in horticulture and agriculture. It was founded in 1910 on this site by Jane Bowne Haines and a "congress of women." Three years later the Woman's National Farm and Garden . . . — Map (db m84895) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Audubon — Ira Allen(1751 - 1814)
Noted for a major role in establishing and defending an independent Vermont in 1777, he was a frontier entrepreneur, an officer of the Green Mountain Boys and in the 1775 American Revolution northern campaign. Allen was an author and principal . . . — Map (db m23650) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Audubon — Mill Grove
Originally built in 1762, the mansion later became the first home in America of the noted artist, naturalist and author, John James Audubon (1785-1851). Here, he began his studies of American birds and wildlife, which he portrayed so vividly in his . . . — Map (db m23668) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Audubon — Soldiers of Washington's Army
In memory of soldiers of Washington's Army who died in the old barn, used as a hospital, five hundred yards northeast from this place, during the winter of 1777-78 Erected Dec. 17, 1925 — Map (db m23661) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Audubon — Timothy Matlack
Revolutionary patriot, state official, and member of Continental Congress, 1780-81. Colonel of a rifle battalion, Philadelphia Associators, 1775-76; served in Battle of Princeton. A founder, Society of Free (or "Fighting") Quakers, 1781. Member, . . . — Map (db m23660) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Bala Cynwyd — James A. Bland
Buried in this cemetery is the famous minstrel, composer of "Carry Me Back to Old Virginny" and many other songs. Born on Long Island in 1854, he traveled widely but died in obscurity at Philadelphia in 1911. — Map (db m84839) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Bryn Athyn — Bryn Athyn Cathedral
This Swedenborgian center is noted architecturally. Buildings in 14th-century Gothic and 12th-century Romanesque styles. Built by cooperative craft guilds in medieval way. Endowed by John Pitcairn. — Map (db m20764) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Bryn Athyn — Harold F. Pitcairn
The noted aeronautical pioneer established his first flying field on this site in 1924. The 1930 Collier Trophy, an award for accomplishments in aviation, was presented to Pitcairn and his associates for developing the American autogiro, first . . . — Map (db m84889) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Cheltenham — Thomas Rowland & Sons Shovel Works
High quality shovels and spades were produced at the Rowland Mill complex near here, founded by Benjamin Rowland, Jr. in 1795. The millworks, operated until 1901 by the Rowland family, gained an international reputation and helped to establish the . . . — Map (db m38673) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Collegeville — Perkiomen Bridge
Built in 1799, it is one of the oldest bridges still in use in the State. A lottery was authorized by a 1797 law to raise $20,000 for its construction. — Map (db m21482) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Conshohocken — Edward Hector
Private in Captain Hercules Courtney's Company, Third Pa. Artillery, Continental Line, in the Battle of Brandywine. His home was in Conshohocken. He is symbolic of the many unknown Black soldiers who served in the American Revolution, but whose race . . . — Map (db m84853) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins — Village of La Mott
Originally called Camptown, this village was laid out at the close of the Civil War on the site of former Camp William Penn. The camp was a training station for Negro troops enlisted in the U.S. Army from 1863 to 1865. — Map (db m4349) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — Beth Sholom Synagogue
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright and built with the collaboration of Rabbi Mortimer J. Cohen, this National Historic Landmark was completed in 1959. Wright’s only synagogue evokes the biblical Mt. Sinai in modern materials of concrete, steel, . . . — Map (db m84872) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — Camp William Penn
Camp William Penn 1863-1865 Training camp for colored troops enlisted into the United States Army erected by Allied Veterans Association of Pennsylvania July 4, 1943 — Map (db m4371) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — Camp William Penn
Here was Pennsylvania's only training camp for African American soldiers -- and the largest of 18 in the nation -- during the Civil War. Comprising over 10,000 men, 11 regiments of U.S. Colored Troops were trained here: the 3rd, 6th, 8th, 22nd, . . . — Map (db m84870) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — First Assembly of Abington Friends Meeting
The first religious meeting hereabout, now known as Abington Meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers) was held here in 1683. This was the home of Richard and Joan Wall who came from Hasfield near Cheltenham England in 1682. Their granddaughter, . . . — Map (db m38725) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — Lucretia C. Mott
Nearby stood “Roadside,” the home of the ardent Quakeress, Lucretia C. Mott (1793-1880). Her most notable work was in connection with antislavery, women's rights, temperance and peace. — Map (db m22119) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site
In 1746 a corn-grist mill powered by a water wheel was erected here on a mill race of Tookany Creek. It was owned and operated by Dorothy Penrose Shoemaker, a descendant of Richard Wall, in partership with Richard Mather and John Tyson. Eventually . . . — Map (db m38705) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site
The first mill on the site erected in 1746 was owned and operated by Dorothy Penrose Shoemaker, a descendant of Richard Wall. In 1847 their neighbor and employee Charles Bosler, whose business was hauling grain to the mill and flour to the city, . . . — Map (db m38706) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Oldest church building in Cheltenham Township, consecrated 1861. Founder was Jay Cooke (1821-1905), "financier of the Civil War." Cemetery, laid out 1879 and enlarged 1905, contains his mausoleum and graves of prominent area residents. Church . . . — Map (db m38699) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Elkins Park — Wall House (The Ivy)
Original section, dated from 1682, was built by Richard Wall on land granted by William Penn. An early meeting place of the Society of Friends, 1683-1702. Additions were built about 1725 and 1805. Sarah Wall married George Shoemaker, 1694, and . . . — Map (db m38701) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fagleysville — John F. Hartranft
The birthplace of John F. Hartranft, Civil War hero and Pennsylvania Governor, 1873-79, is to the right on the side road. He reorganized the State Militia as part of the National Guard. — Map (db m84918) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fort Washington — Birds of a Feather
Identifying raptors (birds of prey) in flight can be difficult. However, even novice hawk-watchers can figure out which family a raptor belongs to. Most raptors migrating past this hawk watch site fall into one of three families: buteos, . . . — Map (db m77173) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fort Washington — Fort Washington
About 700 feet south of this stone is an American redoubt and the site of Howe's threatened attack Dec. 6, 1777. From here Washington's Army marched to Valley Forge. — Map (db m23525) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fort Washington — Helping Hands
Militia Hill Hawk Watch A corps of dedicated volunteers counts and monitors migrating raptors each fall, providing valuable information about bird population health and migratory dynamics. The Militia Hill Hawk Watch began in 1988 with a . . . — Map (db m77175) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fort Washington — Hope Lodge
Built in mid-18th century, house is fine example of Georgian-period architecture. — Map (db m23523) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fort Washington — Hope Lodge
Originally known as White Marsh Estate served as Army Medical Headquarters November and December 1777 for George Washington’s army Commemorated 1995 Sons of the American Revolution ( Second Marker : ) This property has been placed on the . . . — Map (db m69938) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fort Washington — Is That an Eagle?
Water View, Large Trees Suppose you were a bald eagle. Soaring high above, your keen eyes search for a place to raise your young. You need a tall, sturdy tree that will hold a one-ton nest. You look for water—a river or lake . . . — Map (db m77172) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fort Washington — On the Wing
In North America, migrating raptors travel along several migratory routes. This hawk watch site sits along the eastern-most route, known as the Atlantic Coastal Flyway. Birds fly south for the winter from northeastern Canada and the United . . . — Map (db m77174) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Fort Washington — Whitemarsh
Here in the Emlen House Washington had his headquarters from Nov. 2 to Dec. 11, 1777, just before moving to Valley Forge. The last battle of this year was a British attack repulsed here on Dec. 5-6. — Map (db m69936) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Gulph Mills — Gulph Mills Village
This house, built about 1780, was the old Bird-in-Hand General Store. Originally this area was named "Bird-in-Hand" for sign of a tavern that stood nearby. A building just SW of here was a forge. Like the store it later was converted into a . . . — Map (db m84846) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Hatboro — Crooked Billet
Named for a tavern once standing nearby. Scene of Revolutionary War clash during British occupation of Philadelphia. Militia of Gen. John Lacey, assigned to cut off British supplies, encamped here on May 1, 1778, when, surprised by British troops, . . . — Map (db m84890) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Hatboro — Crooked BilletBattle May 1st 1778
Panel 1 Gen. John Lacey, commanded the American patriots who where here engaged in the conflict for Independence. Col William Dean. Capt Isaac Longstreth. Panel 2 -In memory of Patriotic Capt John Downey and others who were cruelly . . . — Map (db m84893) WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Hatboro — Hatboro World War I Memorial
In honor of the men of Hatboro and vicinity who answered their country's call in the World War 1917 - 1918 Frank G. Girard [died in service] Dedicated May 30, 1922 — Map (db m23293) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Hatboro — Union Library
Union Library House built by a donation from Nathan Holt 1849 Union Library Company of Hatborough Founded in the year 1755 — Map (db m29696) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Haverford — 1696 Massey House
Thomas Massey left England on the ketch "Endeavor" arriving at Upland (Chester) 1683. Married Phebe Taylor 1692, bought 900 acres in Marple Township and build this brick house in 1696. — Map (db m81574) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Haverford — Joushua Humphrey
Designer of the frigate Constitution, "Old Ironsides," lived 1803-38 in the Pont Reading House, which stands opposite. The present house was built at dates 1683 to 1813. — Map (db m81492) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Haverford — Thomas Massey House
A fine example of early Pennsylvania rural architecture. Brick section was built before 1708 by Thomas Massey, who by 1696 was owner of a 300-acre “plantation” here. An earlier central wooden section was replaced by stone about 1730 by . . . — Map (db m81572) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Horsham — Horsham Friends Meeting Meeting House
Built 1803 has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m28106) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Horsham — Horsham Township
Founded in 1717, comprises 16.5 square miles. Named for a town in Sussex, England. Site of Graeme Park, residence of Governor Sir William Keith 1717-1726. First autogiro flight in U.S. made here 1928, Pitcairn Field - site became . . . — Map (db m28107) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Horsham — Keith Housec.1722 — Home of a Pennsylvania Provincial Governor
Built 1722 by Sir William Keith, Lieutenant Governor of the Province of Pennsylvania, 1717~1726. Also called Graeme Park, for Dr. Thomas Graeme, owner after 1737. — Map (db m66648) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Jeffersonville — West Norriton Township World War Memorial
Erected in memory of the men and women of West Norriton Township who served in the World War 1917-1918 — Map (db m23574) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — “Crowded and Very Sickly”
Putrid fever, the itch, diarrhea, dysentery and rheumatism were some of the afflictions suffered by the Continental troops. At Valley Forge the Hospital Department inoculated two to three thousand against smallpox. Medicine, food, blankets and even . . . — Map (db m28969) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — 1st and 2nd Rhode Island Regiments
Dedicated to Major General Nathanael Greene Brigadier General James Mirchell Varnum Colonel Christopher Greene Colonel Israel Angell and to other officers and men of 1st and 2nd Rhode Island Regiments encamped at Valley Forge in 1777-1778. - Let . . . — Map (db m28897) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — A Pointed Defense
On the attack, this would be your perspective: advancing uphill, passing through sharp obstructions, only to face artillery and supporting infantry mounted in the redan. Brigade huts would be across the road, just behind the defenses. These . . . — Map (db m28973) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — American Icon
Americans of the Revolutionary era looked to ancient Rome and Greece as models of republican ideals. This statue, a bronze copy of die original marble which has stood in the rotunda of the Virginia State capitol since 1796, includes both classical . . . — Map (db m77119) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Anthony Wayne
Colonel Chester Co., Battalion of Minute Men July 21, 1775 Colonel 4th Penna. Infantry Battalion January 3, 1776 Brig. General Continental Army February 21, 1777 to November 3, 1783 Brevetted Major General September 30, 1783 “Resolved . . . — Map (db m5673) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Artillery Park
Some redoubts and earthworks went unarmed. Most cannons at Valley Forge were kept in the Artillery Park near the center of the encampment. From here guns could be rushed to the point of attack. The Artillery Park gave the Americans a flexible . . . — Map (db m5674) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Commander in Chief’s GuardsAn Elite Security Force — Valley Forge National Historical Park
Always present, Washington’s guard occupied huts here. This special detachment was created to protect the Commander in Chief, his official family, and his equipment, supplies, and papers. Washington required that each life guard, as they called . . . — Map (db m28888) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — DeKalb’s DivisionContinental Army — Valley Forge   December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Major General Baron DeKalb Patterson’s Brigade Brig. General John Patterson commanding 10th Massachusetts Infantry     Col. Thomas Marshall 11th Massachusetts Infantry     Col. Benjamin Tupper 12th Massachusetts Infantry     Col. Samuel Brewer 14th . . . — Map (db m28838) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — DeKalb's Division (Learned's Brigade)
Continental Army — Valley Forge December 19 1777 June 18 1778 — DeKalb’s Division Major General Baron DeKalb Learned’s Brigade Major General Baron DeKalb Learned's Brigade Brig. General Ebenezer Learned Commanding 2nd . . . — Map (db m41166) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Delaware MonumentValley Forge National Historic Park
The State of Delaware erects this marker in memory of her gallant sons who endured the hardships and privations of the memorial winter of 1777-1778 on the hills of Valley Forge. — Map (db m84847) WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Did You Know?
Who owned and lived in the building when Washington arrived? The house was built for Isaac Potts, and iron master who was one of the owners of the Valley Forge. At the time of the winter encampment in 1777, he was not living there but had . . . — Map (db m77124) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Freemasons of Pennsylvania
“In remembrance of the Continental Army led by George Washington, a member of the Masonic Fraternity, and in honor of the many Freemasons who were part of the encampment at this site, the Freemasons of Pennsylvania place this monument so that . . . — Map (db m28919) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Gen. Lachlan McIntosh1727-1806 — Georgia State Marker
"an officer of great worth and merit" George Washington During the winter of Valley Forge, Gen. Lachlan McIntosh of Georgia commanded the first brigade of the Continental Amy. The Brigade which was composed of North Carolina regiments, was . . . — Map (db m66069) WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Generals and Cattle Raids
The First and Second Pennsylvania Brigades, temporarily commanded by Brigadier General Anthony Wayne, encamped in this area. About 800 men served in each of the sixteen brigades at Valley Forge. An estimated 34,577 pounds of meat and 168 barrels of . . . — Map (db m5694) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Glover’s BrigadeContinental Army — Valley Forge   December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Division -------------------- Glover’s Brigade Brig. General John Glover commanding 1st Massachusetts Infantry   Col. Joseph Vose 4th Massachusetts Infantry   Col. William Shepard 13th Massachusetts Infantry   Col. Edward Wigglesworth 15th . . . — Map (db m28843) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Greene’s DivisionContinental Army — Valley Forge   December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Major General Nathaniel Greene Muhlenberg’s Brigade Brig. General J. Peter G. Muhlenberg commanding “German Regiment” Pennsylvania Line   Lieut. Col. Lewis Weltner (Raised July 12 1776 – Mustered out January 1781) 1st Regiment . . . — Map (db m28839) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Greene’s DivisionContinental Army — Valley Forge   December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Major General Nathaniel Greene Weedon’s Brigade Brig. General George Weedon commanding 13th Regiment Infantry Pennsylvania Line   Col. Walter Stewart (Raised as “State Regiment of Foot” March 1 1777 attached to Pennsylvania Line as 13th . . . — Map (db m28841) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Headquarters Complex
The headquarters house overlooking the confluence of Valley Creek and the Schuylkill River was the hub of military activity. It was from here that General Washington, with the assistance of his staff, conducted the daily routine of the army. Often . . . — Map (db m28903) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Huntington’s BrigadeContinental Army — Valley Forge   December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Division -------------------- Huntington’s Brigade Brig. General Jedediah Huntington commanding 1st Regiment Connecticut Infantry   Lieut. Col. Samuel Prentice 2nd Regiment Connecticut Infantry   Col. Charles Webb 5th Regiment Connecticut . . . — Map (db m28848) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Huntington’s Brigade
Occupied this ground — Map (db m28852) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Knox’s QuartersJohn Brown Farm
Brigadier General Henry Knox, Washington’s 27 year old artillery chief, used as his quarters the small stone section of this house. Located upstream on Valley Creek from Washington’s Headquarters, this was the farm home of John Brown and his family. . . . — Map (db m28876) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Log City
Following their arrival December 19, 1777, the men immediately set to work building huts for shelter. General orders the preceding day specified the size and design of the huts: 14 x 16 feet each, 6½ feet high, a door next to the street and a . . . — Map (db m6149) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Maine
To commemorate the officers and men from that part of New England now known as the State of Maine who served in Massachusetts regiments in the Continental Army under Washington at Valley Forge in the winter of 1777 – 8 sharing the hardships . . . — Map (db m28837) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Major General Friedrich Wilhelm Baron von Steuben
Erected by the National German American Alliance,   1915 — Map (db m28860) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Massachusetts Monument
This monument is erected by a grateful Commonwealth in memory of the soldiers of Massachusetts who served at Valley Forge 19 Dec 1777       19 June 1778 Ense Petit Placidam Sub Libertate Quietem < Back of Monument > Massachusetts soldiers who . . . — Map (db m28965) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — New Jersey BrigadeContinental Army
Erected by The State of New Jersey upon the site occupied by the New Jersey Brigade Infantry – Line – Continental Army Brigadier General William Maxwell First Regiment   Col. Mathias Ogden Second Regiment   Col. Israel Shreve Third . . . — Map (db m28831) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — North of the RiverSupporting the Winter Camp
The land just across the Schuylkill River played a vital role in the winter encampment. Provisions and armaments from throughout the region were brought there, and the army built a bridge for access across the river just downstream of this point. . . . — Map (db m77123) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Officer’s Quarters
In contrast to soldiers’ log huts, officers’ quarters appear lavish. But the present houses look significantly different from encampment days. Architectural modifications have more than doubled the size of General Henry Knox’s . . . — Map (db m28871) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Pennsylvania Columns
< Right Column > John Armstrong     Brigadier General J. Peter G. Muhlenberg     Brigadier General William Irvine     3rd Penna Battalion Joseph Reed     Adjutant General < Left Column > Josiah Harman     Lieutenant Colonel Thomas . . . — Map (db m28928) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Pennsylvania DivisionContinental Army — Valley Forge   December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Brigadier General Anthony Wayne First Brigade Colonel Thomas Hartley commanding 1st Regiment Infantry ---------- Colonel James Chambers Raised July 1 1776   Mutered out November 3 1783 2d Regiment Infantry ---------- Colonel Henry Bicker Raised . . . — Map (db m28846) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Poor’s BrigadeContinental Army — Valley Forge   December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Division -------------------- Poor’s Brigade Brig. Gen. Enoch Poor commanding 1st Regiment New Hampshire Infantry   Col. Joseph Cilley 2nd Regiment New Hampshire Infantry   Col. Nathan Hale 3rd Regiment New Hampshire Infantry   Col. Alexander . . . — Map (db m28845) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Remembering Valley ForgeThe People’s Park — Valley Forge National Historical Park
The perseverance of the soldiers at Valley Forge is a beloved American story. Long-discussed ideas for commemoration of their sacrifices were implemented after the disruption of the Civil War, when the centennials of both the Declaration of . . . — Map (db m29110) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Schoolhouse
This one room stone structure was built about 35 years after the encampment when the village of Valley Forge was expanding with industry. It served as a school until a new and larger building was constructed directly across Gulph Road. It then . . . — Map (db m28880) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Site of the Marquee
On this spot General Washington erected his campaign tent (marquee) when he entered Valley Forge December 19, 1777. He occupied this tent until December 24, 1777, when he moved his headquarters to the Potts House at the junction of Valley Creek and . . . — Map (db m28882) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Soldiers’ Huts
on original street of Muhlenberg’s Brigade — Map (db m28976) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Sullivan’s DivisionContinental Army — Valley Forge December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Major General John Sullivan Maxwell’s Brigade Brig. General William Maxwell commanding 1st. New Jersey Infantry     Colonel Mathias Ogden 2nd. New Jersey Infantry     Colonel Israel Shreve 3rd. New Jersey Infantry     Colonel Elias Dayton 4th. New . . . — Map (db m28832) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — The Camp’s Road System
Adapting to the terrain, the arriving army used peaceful farm roads as lines of communication within the sprawling encampment. Livestock, commissary wagons, and troops dragging firewood quickly turned roads into rivers of mud. After Sullivan’s . . . — Map (db m28966) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — The Grand Parade
Cannon smoke clouds the fields below. A roar of muskets crisscrosses the Grand Parade as thousands of double-ranked troops perform a feu de joie (“fire of joy.”) To celebrate the signing of the French Treaty of Alliance, General . . . — Map (db m5701) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — The National Arch at Valley Forge
George Washington, Valley Forge and Freemasonry represent patriotism, freedom and brotherly love to all Freemasons. Washington served as Master of his Masonic Lodge at the same time he was President of the United States. Through the preservation of . . . — Map (db m11884) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — The Village of Valley ForgeOrdinary Place, Extraordinary History — Valley Forge National Historical Park
An iron forge was established in this remote place in the early 1700s, as there was ample water power from Valley Creek, limestone for processing iron ore, and timber to make charcoal to fuel the furnaces. Soon, dams and mill races, charcoal houses, . . . — Map (db m29010) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — To Build a Redoubt
The earthworks today appear to be giant molehills. But it took complex engineering to construct them. A deep ditch was excavated in front, to slow an attacking enemy. The dirt was heaped into gabions - baskets of interwoven branches. Bundles . . . — Map (db m11887) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Training for Victory
Like a drill sergeant, Inspector General Friedrich von Steuben trains eyeball to eyeball with a company of Continentals. This model company must serve as an example to the rest of Washington’s army. The Grand Parade, here at the center if the . . . — Map (db m5698) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Upper Forge Site
Between here and the creek stood the forge. A low stone dam diverted water to power the bellows and hammer. Mount Misery, rising behind you, provided wood for charcoal. During the encampment, a road to the forge cut through the gap on the hill in . . . — Map (db m28893) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Valley CreekMeandering through History — Valley Forge National Historical Park
Valley Creek flows through the historic Village of Valley Forge to its confluence with the Schuykill River, just downstream of this point. Once the primary source of water and power for a bustling town, it now is one of the park’s most important . . . — Map (db m29113) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Valley Forge Hut
The Hut nearby built according to Washington’s Orders for the Construction of Huts for the Winter Camp of 1777-1778 stands on the Site of a similar Hut which sheltered Soldiers of the Pennsylvania Line and it commemorates their Fortitude in the . . . — Map (db m5670) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Varnum’s BrigadeContinental Army — Valley Forge   December 19 1777   June 18 1778
Division -------------------- Varnum’s Brigade Brig. General James M. Varnum commanding 1st Regiment Rhode Island Infantry   Col. Christopher Greene 2nd Regiment Rhode Island Infantry   Col. Israel Angell 4th Regiment Connecticut Infantry   Col. . . . — Map (db m28847) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Varnum’s Quarters
When he moved in, General James Varnum used one room as both living quarters and brigade headquarters, and even held general courts martial. The owners, David and Elizabeth Stephens and their family, were allowed to remain in the rest of the house. . . . — Map (db m28862) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — War Comes to Valley ForgeThe British Raid
Just upstream is the site of the Valley Forge, for which this area was named. The Continental Army used the forge to store foods and weapons. Three months before the winter encampment, the British swept through on September 18, 1777 and burned the . . . — Map (db m28835) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Washington’s Headquarters
For six months this quiet path was a congested thoroughfare. Express riders from Congress, civilians requesting passes, guards posted around the house, couriers rushing out with new orders, foreign officers seeking employment, continually jammed . . . — Map (db m5668) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Washington’s Headquarters
”We had engaged in the defense of our injured country and we were determined to persevere.” Private Joseph Plumb Martin Valley Forge: An American Symbol Welcome to Washington’s Headquarters, site of General . . . — Map (db m77122) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Why Valley Forge?
Location Matters Just 20 miles outside Philadelphia, Valley Forge was close enough to monitor British army activities but far enough away to prevent a surprise attack. Washington used this hilly country to his advantage, building . . . — Map (db m77120) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), King of Prussia — Winter EncampmentDecember 19, 1777 – June 19, 1778
The countryside was stripped of trees. All available wood went to build and heat the city of huts that crowded this ridge. When the Continental Army wintered here, every acre was heavily used – for entrenchments, stock pens, an artillery . . . — Map (db m8828) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Lafayette Hill — Lafayette
On May 19-20, 1778, Lafayette, in his first independent command, occupied this position during reconnaissance with 2,000 troops, which were driven off by Howe's overwhelming British forces. On Howe's departure, Lafayette reoccupied Barren Hill until . . . — Map (db m84854) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Lafayette Hill — St. Peter's Church
Lutheran, founded 1752 by Henry Melchior Muhlenberg. From steeple of original church, May 20, 1778, Gen. Lafayette gave orders for battle against British in old churchyard. Here he organized his famous retreat to Matson Ford, saving himself and 2200 . . . — Map (db m84855) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Maple Glen — The Atkinson Family
Abolitionists Thomas and Hannah Atkinson and other members of Upper Dublin Friends Meeting conducted an Underground Railroad station at the farm next door. Individuals who escaped slavery are buried in the meetinghouse cemetery. Son Wilmer created . . . — Map (db m84894) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Merion Station — Early Tavern — General Wayne Inn
Opened in 1704, this tavern was known in Colonial times as the William Penn Inn, the Tunis Ordinary and Streeper’s Tavern. Familiar to Franklin and Washington, the inn was renamed, shortly after the Revolution, in honor of Gen. Wayne, who had . . . — Map (db m68614) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Merion Station — John Dickinson(1732-1808)
Statesman, author. In influential writings, 1765-74, argued against British policies. Later, as a member, Continental Congress, 1774-76, favored conciliation and opposed the Declaration of Independence; nonetheless, served the patriot cause as . . . — Map (db m68628) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Merion Station — Merion Friends Meeting — One of the oldest places of worship in the Nation
Continuously used since its erection in 1695 by Quakers, this Meeting House is thought to have been visited by William Penn. Welsh carpenters are believed responsible for its highly unusual cruciform architecture. — Map (db m68646) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Merion Station — Merion Friends Meeting House — A National Historic Landmark
Merion Friends Meeting House Has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possess national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America This Meeting was established by the Merioneth . . . — Map (db m68649) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Merion Station — Philadelphia and Columbia RailwayThe Main Line of Public Works of the State of Pennsylvania — 1834-1857
One of Americas Earliest Railroads, it was first powered by horses, later by steam. The right-of-way was on the south-side of Montgomery Avenue across from Merion Friends Meetinghouse. This railroad was a major route for escaping slaves . . . — Map (db m68652) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Merion Station — Washington's Army Encampment — 1777
On this and adjacent ground Washington's Army encamped September 14, 1777. Erected by Merion Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution September 14, 1896 — Map (db m68748) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Montgomeryville — Winfield S. Hancock
Outstanding Civil War general and hero of the Battle of Gettysburg, was born here Feb. 14, 1824. After 1828 he lived in Norristown, where he is buried. — Map (db m23516) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), New Hanover — Falkner Swamp Reformed Church
The nations' oldest originally German Reformed Congregation in continuous existence was established here. The first Communion was celebrated October 15, 1725, with the Rev. John Philip Boehm, founder of the German Reformed Church in America, . . . — Map (db m84933) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), New Hanover — Hanover Lutheran Church
The first German Lutheran Church in America; organized by Daniel Falckner about 1700. From 1742 to 1761 Henry Melchior Muhlenberg served as pastor. Present building, one-quarter mile NE, was erected in 1767. — Map (db m84925) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — David Rittenhouse
Eminent astronomer and mathematician. Born April 8, 1732 Died June 26, 1796. He calculated and observed the transit of Venus at his home in Norriton 1769 — Map (db m23566) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Gen. Andrew Porter
Revolutionary War officer; surveyor of western and northern State boundaries, 1784-87; Surveyor-General, 1809-13. Born near here, 1743; died at Harrisburg, 1813. His home, "Selma," is marked a block distant. — Map (db m25120) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Hancock the SuperbMajor General Winfield Scott Hancock
The Stead-fast commander of the 2nd Army Corps for most of the Civil War. Afterward he held many important military commands and in 1880 was candidate for President of the United States.

Restored with funds donated by Eli Lilly Honorary . . . — Map (db m81794) HM

Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Hartranft Monument
(front) Hartranft 1830 - 1889 (right side) Norris City Rifles 1857 Lieut. Colonel 1 Bat'n 2 Div. PA Militia 1858 Colonel 1 Bat'n 2 Div. PA Militia 1859 Colonel 4 Reg. Infantry PA. Vols. 1861 Colonel 51 Reg. . . . — Map (db m91970) WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Military Order of the Purple Heart1782 1932
This memorial is erected by the Military Order of the Purple Heart in revered memory of the men and women of our military services who sacrificed their lives in combat action against our nation's armed enemies. They unselfishly served . . . — Map (db m23565) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Montgomery County Civil War Memorial
Erected by the Citizens of Montg'y Co. Sept. 17th, 1868, in honor of our brave soldiers and sailors who fell while defending the Union during the Great Rebellion, A.D. 1861-1865. In memory of those who died that the nation might live . . . — Map (db m23674) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Montgomery County Court House1784
The original county jail, built in 1787, stood here with the original courthouse. In 1851, a new jail was built and still stands on Airy St. near DeKalb. Designed by Napoleon LeBrun, the architect who later designed the courthouse, the new jail . . . — Map (db m23526) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Montgomery County Vietnam War Memorial
This monument was erected by the residents and businesses of the Borough of Norristown to pay tribute and honor to all those who sacrificed their lives and to those who served our country in the Vietnam War. We dedicate this memorial to the memory . . . — Map (db m23676) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Rittenhouse Farm
David Rittenhouse, born in 1732, lived here until 1770. Here he began his distinguished scientific career; and computed and observed the transit of Venus, 1769. Spent later years in Philadelphia, where he dies in 1796. — Map (db m84851) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Rittenhouse Observatory
700 feet N.E. of this memorial stood the log cabin from which David Rittenhouse observed the transit of Venus June 3, 1769. Permission to use this site was given by Herbert T. Ballard, owner of this property. — Map (db m84849) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — Selma
Home of Andrew Porter, Revolutionary general. Birthplace of his sons: David R., Gov. of Penna., 1839-45; James M., Sec. of War, 1843; George B., Gov. of Michigan Territory, 1831-34. — Map (db m23670) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Norristown — September 11 2001
The Many Who Died The Many Who Fought to Save Others Memories Never Die — Map (db m23572) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pennsburg — Frank N.D. Buchman
World peace advocate, born here. Ordained a Lutheran minister in 1902, Buchman formed the Oxford Group, 1921. He founded Moral Re-Armament, a worldwide movement, 1938. Twice nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize, he was honored by many nations. — Map (db m84936) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Plymouth Meeting — Abolition Hall
The antislavery meeting hall here, opened in 1856, brought many leading abolitionist speakers as guests of George Corson and his wife, Martha Maulsby Corson. Built over a carriage shed, the hall could accommodate up to 200 visitors. The family's . . . — Map (db m23524) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Plymouth Meeting — Mogeetown
A company town developed in 1880 by William Mogee for his lime quarry workers, many of whom were southern European immigrants. The limestone was transported by boat on the nearby Schuylkill River. — Map (db m26825) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Plymouth Meeting — Plymouth Friends Meetinghouse
In continuous use as a house of worship since about 1708, it served as a hospital and campsite for Washington's forces on way to Valley Forge. Eastern wing, added in 1780, replaced original log school. Site was a center of activity during Abolition . . . — Map (db m22155) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Plymouth Meeting — Site of North Star Public School and Plymouth Township High School
Site of North Star Public School 1840-1915 and Plymouth Township High School 1890-1915 — Map (db m23552) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Annie Wittenmyer
Past National President, Woman's Relief Corps Auxiliary to the Grand Army of the Republic Died February 2, 1900 Erected by the Woman's Relief Corps in loving memory of her service on battle-fields and in hospitals during the . . . — Map (db m23279) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Bahr ArcadeHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
The original structure on this site was a mansion built in the early 1840's by Jacob S. Yost, a Congressman and Federal Marshall [sic]. It was the birthplace of Jacob's nephew George Yost Coffin, a famous political cartoonist, whose work appeared . . . — Map (db m22496) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — First Iron Bridge
The first iron truss bridge in the U.S. was built in 1845 in the Philadelphia & Reading Railroad blacksmith shop, just south of here. It was designed for the railroad in 1844 by Richard B. Osborne. — Map (db m23782) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Freight Station - AAA East PennHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
Pottstown's growing importance as a regional manufacturing center prompted the Reading Co. to upgrade its facilities here in the 1920's. On the 26th of December in 1924, the Reading Co. revealed plans for the construction of a new $1,000,000 . . . — Map (db m23815) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — G.A.R. StatueHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
A memorial to veterans of the Civil War, this statue was given to G.A.R. Post No. 595 by Miss Annie Richards in memory of her brother Mathias Edgar Richards. The dedication took place on July 4, 1893 at 11:00 am. At the ceremony, a gavel carved . . . — Map (db m22498) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Graham Post No. 106 G.A.R. Civil War MemorialOur Fallen Comrades
Erected by Graham Post No. 106, Grand Army of the Republic July 4, 1879 to commemorate the services of those who defended the nation in the Civil War of 1861-1865 — Map (db m24028) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Philadelphia Steam Engine Fire Co. #1Historic Pottstown Walking Tour
After a series of bad fires in 1870, Borough Council recognized the need for a local fire company and sent representatives to Philadelphia to purchase their first piece of equipment, a hand drawn pumper apparatus, from the Philadelphia Fire Company . . . — Map (db m23849) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Pottsgrove ManorHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
In November of 1751, John Potts, iron master and merchant, entered into an indenture to purchase two tracts of land from Samuel McCall, Jr. and his wife Anne. This land, situated at the confluence of the Manatawny Creek and the Schuylkill River, . . . — Map (db m23853) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Pottsgrove Manor
Built in 1752 by John Potts (1710-1768), ironmaster & founder of Pottstown. The manor was located at the center of a 1,000 acre plantation that included the town, an iron forge, gristmills, and other businesses by 1762. The town was incorporated . . . — Map (db m84924) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Pottstown Brewing Co.Historic Pottstown Walking Tour
In 1886, Joseph M. Selinger moved his brewery from a stone building about a mile from Pottstown at Glasgow to a three story brick building at High & Manatawny Sts. near the “Barn Houses” that were built on the foundation of the stables . . . — Map (db m23859) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Pottstown Historical SocietyHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
Since 1936, the Historical Society has dedicated itself to promoting interest in the historic background of Pottstown and to preserving materials which illustrate that history. In 2000, the Historical Society continued its commitment to historic . . . — Map (db m23218) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Pottstown War MemorialGreater Love Hath No Man Than This — That a Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends
In proud remembrance of Pottstown heroes who gave their lives in the Great World War for freedom justice and humanity World War II Dec 7, 1941 - Sept 2, 1945 In grateful tribute to those of this community who gave their lives . . . — Map (db m23281) WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Reading Passenger StationHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
When people learned of the railroad coming to Pottstown in the 1830's, the two rival hotel keepers, John Boyer and Joshua B. Missimer, vied for their business by building hotels on either side of the railroad tracks. Both lost out. In 1939 [sic - . . . — Map (db m23201) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Site of Old Burial Ground
The Gift of John Potts - Founder of Pottstown to Early German Settlers of the Lutheran and Reformed Faith A.D. 1752 ————————— On the adjoining bronze tablets are inscribed the . . . — Map (db m23136) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — St. Clair MansionHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
The St. Clair Mansion was built by John Potts, Jr., the third son of the founder of Pottstown. A judge of the Common Pleas Court, he elected to remain loyal to England during the American Revolution and had to flee the country when his properties . . . — Map (db m23185) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The Elks HomeHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
Local residents have long admired this beautiful mansion built in 1888 by Jacob Fegely, which since 1913 has served as the home of the B.P.O.E. Pottstown Lodge No. 814. This was not the first mansion on the site, however. The original structure . . . — Map (db m23778) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The Grubb MansionHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
The Grubb Mansion, located at 1304 High Street, is a Queen Anne Victorian built in 1906 by William I. Grubb. Mr. Grubb began his career as a slater and a carpenter. In 1893, at the age of 37, he formed a bicycle manufacturing company in a small . . . — Map (db m23216) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The Hill School
Founded in 1851 by the Rev. Matthew Meigs, The Hill School originally was known as the “Family Boarding School” and housed in an elegant estate formerly owned by Pottstown's N.P. Hobart. It was the first school in the country where . . . — Map (db m23301) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The Old Brick ChurchHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
Pottstown's oldest church was built in 1796 on the corner of Hanover and Chestnut Streets on ground given by John Potts. The building was erected by two congregations, the Lutheran and the Reformed, and was also known as the Union Church when both . . . — Map (db m23193) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The PECO BuildingHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
On February 19, 1889, the Pottstown Light, Heat & Power Co., located on Queen St. west of Penn St., along the railroad tracks, brought electricity to Pottstown. That night, High St. was illuminated by a series of 2000 candlepower arc lights. The . . . — Map (db m23817) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The Potts Family Burial GroundHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
From our earliest times, the cemeteries of Pottstown have been for the most part associated with churches. The original Sprogell burying ground was an exception, as was that of the Potts, Rutter and Hobart families (although this cemetery was in a . . . — Map (db m23851) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The Pottstown NewsHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
In 1887, P. Elwood Baum purchased the newspaper that would eventually become the present day Mercury. At that time, Baum renamed The Chronicle, located at 18 1/2 N. Hanover St., The Pottstown Daily News. After Baum's death in . . . — Map (db m23204) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The Security Trust BuildingHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
The stone dwelling that originally stood on this ground was built in 1770 by a member of the Potts family. In 1842, Jonas Smith bought it from one of its subsequent owners and opened a store. In 1886, the Security and Iron Banks purchased the . . . — Map (db m23141) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — The Shuler House
Of the inns that were established in Pottstown in Colonial times that survived until Civil War days, The Farmer's Hotel (fondly remembered by local residents as The Shuler House) proved to be the most enduring. Built in the 1700's, the inn's . . . — Map (db m23144) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Pottstown — Weitzenkorn's ClothiersHistoric Pottstown Walking Tour
Abraham Weitzenkorn was born in Leitmar, Germany. He came to America at the age of 17, settled in Pottstown, and began his trade as a peddler. A favorite of his patrons, he prospered and in 1864 started a business at 108 S. Hanover St. Keep in mind . . . — Map (db m23861) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Rockledge — Fox Chase and Rockledge World War Memorial
In honor of the men and women of Fox Chase who served their country and humanity in the World War April 6, 1917 - Nov. 11, 1918 These memorials were erected by the citizens of Fox Chase and Rockledge under the auspices of . . . — Map (db m22443) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Rockledge — George Washington
First in war, first in peace and first in the hearts of his countrymen. As a warrior, her served refusing pay and led in the achievement of our independence. As a statesman and lawgiver, his guiding wisdom assisted in framing the . . . — Map (db m70699) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Rockledge — Gilbert Motier DeLafayetteBenefactor of Two Hemispheres — Born a Noble of France
He served as citizen soldier of American liberty, the cherished friend of Washington - by whose side he fought and bled, in defence of a great principle that the only legitimate government is that which derives its authority from the governed. . . . — Map (db m70694) HM WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Rockledge — Veterans Memorial
This Flag Memorial is dedicated to the memory of United States Veterans of all wars at rest in Mount Peace Cemetery Lawnview Cemetery Lawnview Memorial Park Pine Grove Memorial Park and those formerly interred in Monument . . . — Map (db m70690) WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Rockledge — World War II Honor Roll1941 - 1945
. . . — Map (db m70716) WM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Schwenksville — Pennypacker's Mill and Mansion
Washington's headquarters, September, October, 1777. Last home of Samuel W. Pennypacker, Governor of Pennsylvania, 1903-1907. He died here on September 2, 1916. — Map (db m21492) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Schwenksville — Washington's Headquarters
. . . — Map (db m21493) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Sumneytown — Enos Benner
Teacher, author, editor, and printer, Benner issued German-language publications for the Pennsylvania German population from his print shop here. His newspaper, Der Bauern Freund (The Farmer’s Friend), was circulated weekly from 1828 to 1858. . . . — Map (db m84934) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Trappe — Augustus Lutheran Church
Oldest unchanged Lutheran church in America. Built in 1743 by Dr. Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, who died in 1787 and is buried in the graveyard. — Map (db m84917) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Trappe — Frederick A. C. Muhlenberg
Member, US House of Representatives from 1789-97. A Federalist, he was its first Speaker and first signer of the Bill of Rights. Ordained a Lutheran minister in 1770, he served as a pastor for nine years. He represented Pa. at the Continental . . . — Map (db m21481) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Trappe — Keystone Grange #2 Old Lodge Hall
Erected - circa 1849 by Providence Lodge No. 345 I.O.O.F. 1865 Warren Lodge No. 310 F.&A.M. 1865-1913 Keystone Grange No. 2 P. of H. 1913 Organized March 20, 1873 in Upper-Providence Twp, Penna. 2nd Grange to be organized in . . . — Map (db m21471) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Trappe — Muhlenberg House
In this house Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, great Lutheran leader, lived from 1776 until his death in 1787. His son Peter Muhlenberg, a noted general of the American Revolution, lived here 1783-1802. — Map (db m21472) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Trappe — Reformed Church at Providence / Site of Stone Church 1835-1874
Reformed Church at Providence First Communication in John Herpel Barn Nov. 5, 1742 East Seventh Avenue First Log Church Erected in Cemetery - 1747 The Rev. John Philip Boehm First Pastor Site of Stone Church 1835-1874 Memorial . . . — Map (db m21483) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Trooper — Rittenhouse Farm
David Rittenhouse, colonial scientist, astronomer, and instrument maker, lived on a nearby farm, where he built a telescope, said to be first made in America, and observed the transit of Venus in 1769. — Map (db m21484) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Valley Forge — Loyal Patriots of Valley Forge
In Honor of All Loyal Patriots Who Served under the Command of General George Washington In the Winter Encampment at Valley Forge, Pennsylvania December 19, 1777 - June 19, 1778 and in Honor of Donald G. Cronan, Founder of the . . . — Map (db m22167) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Valley Forge — National Patriots Bell Tower(Formerly known as the Valley Forge Memorial Bell Tower)
This tower is dedicated by the National Society Daughters of the American Revolution to those Patriots of the Revolutionary War whose faith and courage won and established American Freedom and to those Heroes of World Wars I and II . . . — Map (db m22158) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Valley Forge — Waterman's Monument
This 50 foot granite obelisk was erected in 1901 by the Daughters of the Revolution. It marks the site of the only identified grave at Valley Forge, that of Lieutenant John Waterman of Rhode Island, who died on April 23, 1778. — Map (db m22169) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Willow Grove — Memorial Hall, 1925
In 1922, land on this site was purchased from the Willow Grove Park for construction of a community Memorial Hall to commemorate the lives and service of local veterans of World War I. Citizens formed various committees to raise funds for the . . . — Map (db m22322) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Willow Grove — The Fountain House Inn, 1717
The Fountain House Inn, which took its name from the ample supply of water flowing from its nearby spring, was built in 1717 at this location. The Inn's site was strategic to the distance a team of horses could travel in a day. Exactly fourteen . . . — Map (db m22337) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Willow Grove — The Manor House, ca. 1719
On this site stood the first house in the Willow Grove area. Jacob Dubree and his son James purchased 250 acres of land from land speculators, who obtained the land from the heirs of Dr. Nicholas More. Dr. More's land grant from William Penn was . . . — Map (db m22334) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Willow Grove — The Red Lion Inn, 1776
The Inn began as a tavern in 1762, called “The Wagon”, located across Easton Road at the point created by York and Easton Roads. It was a large stone structure of two and a half stories containing 23 rooms. In 1768, the proprietor, John . . . — Map (db m22822) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Willow Grove — Willow Grove United Methodist Church, 1889
This is the oldest church in Upper Moreland Township. It was organized by George W. Quigley and David Cherry, who in 1887 along with other residents, decided to revive interest in weekly prayer meetings that had been in operation some years before. . . . — Map (db m22331) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Wyncote — Cyrus H. K. Curtis
Founder of Curtis Publishing Co., which published The Saturday Evening Post, Ladies' Home Journal and The Philadelphia Inquirer. Curtis came to Philadelphia for 1876 Centennial and remained. Lived near here at Lyndon, his home from 1891–1933. . . . — Map (db m21462) HM
Pennsylvania (Montgomery County), Wyndmoor — Philo T. Farnsworth(1906-1971)
Inventor of electronic television, he led some of the first experiments in live local TV broad-casting in the late 1930s from his station W3XPF located on this site. A pioneer in electronics, Farnsworth held many patents and was inducted into the . . . — Map (db m84869) HM

177 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement
Categories20th CenturyAbolition & Underground RRAfrican AmericansAgricultureAir & SpaceAnimalsAntebellum South, USAnthropologyArchitectureArts, Letters, MusicAsian AmericansBridges & ViaductsCemeteries & Burial SitesCharity & Public WorkChurches, Etc.Civil RightsColonial EraCommunicationsDisastersEducationEntertainmentEnvironmentExplorationForts, CastlesFraternal or Sororal OrganizationsGovernmentHeroesHispanic AmericansHorticulture & ForestryIndustry & CommerceLabor UnionsLandmarksMan-Made FeaturesMilitaryNative AmericansNatural FeaturesNatural ResourcesNotable BuildingsNotable EventsNotable PersonsNotable PlacesPaleontologyPatriots & PatriotismPeacePolitical SubdivisionsPoliticsRailroads & StreetcarsRoads & VehiclesScience & MedicineSettlements & SettlersSportsWar of 1812War, 1st Iraq & Desert StormWar, 2nd IraqWar, AfghanistanWar, ColdWar, French and IndianWar, KoreanWar, Mexican-AmericanWar, Spanish-AmericanWar, Texas IndependenceWar, US CivilWar, US RevolutionaryWar, VietnamWar, World IWar, World IIWars, Non-USWars, US IndianWaterways & Vessels
States or ProvincesAlabamaAlaskaAlbertaArizonaArkansasBritish ColumbiaCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareDistrict of ColumbiaFloridaGeorgiaHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineManitobaMarylandMassachusettsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew BrunswickNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNewfoundland and LabradorNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNova ScotiaOhioOklahomaOntarioOregonPennsylvaniaPrince Edward IslandPuerto RicoQuebecRhode IslandSaskatchewanSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyomingYukon Territory
CountriesArgentinaAustraliaAustriaBahamasBelgiumBelizeBrazilCanadaChinaCosta RicaCzech RepublicDominicaDominican RepublicEcuadorEgyptEl SalvadorEstoniaFinlandFranceGermanyGreeceGrenadaGuatemalaGuyanaHondurasHungaryIrelandIsraelItalyJamaicaKiribatiLiechtensteinLuxembourgMalaysiaMexicoNetherlands AntillesNew ZealandNicaraguaPalestinian TerritoriesPhilippinesRussiaSaint LuciaScotland, UKSingaporeSouth AfricaSouth KoreaSwedenSwitzerlandThailandTurkeyTurks and Caicos IslandsU.S Virgin IslandsUkraineUnited KingdomU.S.A.