HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Montgomery County Markers
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — April 16th MemorialWe Remember
April 16th, 2007 On April 16th, 2007, 32 innocent lives were lost in a senseless act of campus violence. Twenty-seven young, gifted graduate and undergraduate students died that day, two in Ambler Johnston Residence Hall, toward the south side of campus, and 25 more in Norris Hall, toward the north. Five dedicated professors also perished in Norris Hall along with their students, all done by a deranged student. Dozen more students and members of the faculty and staff were injured or . . . — Map (db m43722) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Carol Montgomery Newman(1879-1941)
Professor 1903-1941 Dean, Academic Department 1915-1920 Chairman, English Department 1916-1941 Known as VPI’s godfather of extracurricular activities, Carol Montgomery Newman headed the English and Language Departments, taught English and Rhetoric, was Secretary of the Athletic Council, chaired VPI’s Social Committee and the YMCA Advisory Board, was Dean of the Academic Department, and served on the Library Committee. A popular teacher, accomplished writer, and eloquent speaker, . . . — Map (db m41460) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Charles Henry Burchard(1915-1990)
Dean, Architecture and Urban Studies 1965-1979 University Distinguished Professor 1966-1979 Dean Emeritus 1979-1990 An innovative thinker, Charles H. Burchard organized Virginia Tech's College of Architecture and Urban Studies, creating a program that shaped architectural education nationwide. His influential work and leadership of the Association of Collegiate Schools of Architecture and the National Architecture Accrediting Board earned him the National Award for Excellence in . . . — Map (db m43015) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Clinton Harriman Cowgill(1897-1975)
Department Head, Architectural Engineering 1928-1956 The founder of VPI's Department of Architectural Engineering, forerunner of today's Architecture program, Clinton H. Gowgill guided the department's growth from 34 students and two professors to 229 students and 13 professors. He wrote two books on architecture and buildings; served on the Virginia State Board for Examination and Certification of Professional Engineers, Architects, and Land Surveyors; and played a significant role in . . . — Map (db m43019) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Earl Bertram Norris(1882-1966)
Dean, School of Engineering 1928-1952 Director, Engineering Experiment Station 1932-1952 An engineer, educator, administrator, and author, Earl Bertram Norris worked professionally in the industrial field, taught mechanical engineering, and served as as engineering dean before becoming an engineering dean at VPI. His service as a lieutenant colonel in World War I drew praise from Gen. John J. Pershing. At VPI, the president considered him indispensable. He chaired the administrative . . . — Map (db m43038) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — K 64 — Founding of the Future Farmers of Virginia
The Future Farmers of Virginia (FFV) was founded on the campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute by four members of the Agricultural Education Department in September, 1925. Developed as a statewide organization for boys enrolled in high school vocational agriculture, the FFV was used as a model for establising the Future Farmers of America. The four founders were Walter Newman, Henry Groseclose, Edmund Magill, and Harry Sanders. — Map (db m16235) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Frank Leigh Robeson(1884-1974)
Student 1901-1904 Faculty Member 1904-1954 Head, Department of Physics 1923-1954 As a student at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (now Virgnia Tech), Frank Leigh Robeson helped draw plans for many campus buildings and faculty houses. During half a century of employment with the college, he taught mathematics, mechanical engineering, and physics and wrote the leading physics textbook of the time. He was a fellow in the American Academy of Science. . . . — Map (db m43040) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Frederick Dewey Durham(1899-1998)
Student, 1917-1920, 1921-1922 Six years after graduating from VPI, Fred Durham bought the C. Lee Cook Company, which merged with three other companies in 1955 to form Dover Corp., today a Fortune 500 manufacturing company. As president and chairman for 16 years, he instituted a decentralized management strategy still followed at Dover. A generous benefactor and recipient of the Engineering Distinguished Alumnus Award, he credited VPI for much of his success. Durham Hall completed in 1998 — Map (db m43021) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — George Burke Johnston(1907 - 1995)
Member, English Faculty 1930 - 1933 Dean, School of Applied Science and Business Administration 1950 - 1961 Dean, School of Science and General Studies 1961 - 1963 Dean, College of Arts and Sciences 1963 - 1965 C. P. Miles Professor of English 1965 - 1974 A true renaissance man, George Burke Johnston was a scholar, educator, actor, artist, author, poet, administrator, woodcarver, soldier, and puppeteer. He was instrumental in establishing the College of Arts and Sciences, had numerous . . . — Map (db m64211) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Harvey Lee Price(1874-1951)
Faculty member 1900-1945 Head, Horticulture Department 1902-1908 Dean, School of Agriculture 1908-1945 An easy-going, amiable man, Harvey Lee Price served VPI for more than four decades after earning two degrees here. He moved quickly through the professorial ranks and into administration. Known for zealously protecting VPI’s apple orchard, he also had a penchant for local history and genealogy. He oversaw campus landscaping, was Treasurer of the Athletic Council, and achieved . . . — Map (db m41464) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John Edward Williams(1867-1943)
Professor 1903-1943 Dean of the College 1924-1943 Known for wise counsel and leadership, John Edward Williams earned wide respect during 40 years at VPI as a Mathematics professor and Dean of the College. An American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow, he served on the Virginia Board of Education and led the Association of Virginina Colleges in addition to a Ph.D. He held an honorary Doctor of Laws degree. Williams Hall Complete 1953 — Map (db m16238) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John Houston Squires(1882-1934)
Class of 1905 Master of Science 1906 A distinguished scientist, John H. Squires had a brilliant career as a chemist with E.I. DuPont de Nemours, GM Corporation, and American Cyanamid. He also taught at a college and was instrumental in reorganizing and reopening a bank. A supporter of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, he designed the relief map that helped lead to its establishment. Squires Student Center First section completed in 1937 — Map (db m43041) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John McLaren McBryde(1841-1923)
President 1891-1907 Known as the “Father of VPI,” John McLaren McBryde laid the foundation for modern Virginia Tech. He increased bachelor's degree offerings, added graduate programs, created an infirmary, and christened the motto Ut Prosim. The first president to encourage formation and growth of student activities, he was at the helm when the first football team was formed, school colors became orange and maroon, and a new nickname was born: Hokies. McBryde Hall major . . . — Map (db m43037) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John Redd Hutcheson(1886-1962)
Director, Agricultural Extension Services 1919-1945 President 1945-1947 Chancellor 1947-1956 President, VPI Foundation 1948-1962 Alumnus president John Redd Hutcheson worked tirelessly to prepare VPI for the flood of returning World War II veterans and developed a sense of optimism and pride on campus. A nationally noted agricultural leader, he received numerous honors, including Doctor of Science degrees from both Clemson and North Carolina State Colleges. The affable man . . . — Map (db m41461) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — John William Hancock Jr.(1904-1994)
Class of 1925 Member, Board of Visitors 1963-1971 Board Chairman, Virginia Tech Foundation 1969-1973, 1986-1991 A generous benefactor of his Alma mater, John W. Hancock Jr. was an astute businessman who founded Roanoke Electric Steel Corporation and John W. Hancock Jr. Inc. He was a futuristic thinker and deeply committed to civic projects. He helped establish Roanoke’s first industrial park, Center in the Square, and the Explore Park and spurred the integration of Roanoke . . . — Map (db m43023) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Julian Ashby Burruss(1876-1947) — President 1919-1945
The first alumnus president, Julian Ashby Burruss guided VPI through tremendous increases in faculty, student body, and degree offerings; vast growth in the physical plant; and efficient changes in administrative structure. He successfully pushed to admit women and shortened the military requirement to two years, setting the stage for a larger civilian student body during his tenure. Radford College became the women's division of VPI. — Map (db m16239) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Lingan Strother Randolph(1868-1922)
Professor, Mechanical Engineering 1893-1918 Department Head, Mechanical Engineering 1902-1913 Dean of Engineering 1913-1918 An entertaining speaker and inspirational professor, Professor, Lingan Strother Randolph helped design and construct a campus water system and helped plan and design many college buildings. He was an avid railroad proponent, was instrumental in building a railroad spur to Blacksburg, and preside over the Brush Mountain Coal Company. He was also the charter . . . — Map (db m43039) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG 10 — Mary Draper Ingels
On 30 July 1755, during the French and Indian War, Shawnee Indians attacked the Draper's Meadow settlement nearby. They killed Col. James Patton, Casper Berger, Mrs. George Draper, and a Draper child, wounded James Cull, and captured Mary Draper Ingels, her two sons, Mrs. John Draper, and Henry Leonard. The Indians took their captives to Ohio. After several months, Ingels escaped and wandered some 800 miles to return home, a legendary feat. She and her husband, William, moved near Radford and . . . — Map (db m16205) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Paul Ernest Torgersen(1931- )
Department Head, Industrial Engineering 1967-1970 Dean, College of Engineering 1970-1990 President, Corporate Research Center 1990-1994 President 1994-2000 A professor who became president, Paul Ernest Torgerson taught every semester during his years at Virginia Tech. As dean, he led the College of Engineering to national prominence, and as University President, he focused on rebuilding financial resources and technology leadership. He was named to the National Academy of Engineering; . . . — Map (db m16240) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Paul Neyron Derring(1894-1973)
Secretary, YMCA 1918-1964 Director of Religious Affairs 1957-1964 A Phi Beta Kappa graduate, Paul Neyron Derring was the first blind man to complete college in Virginia. While heading the YMCA at VPI, he became a father figure to countless students, was known for his helpfulness and wise counsel, and exerted a great deal of influence on student life. During more than 45 years at VPI, he became one of the most beloved and admired figures on campus. Derring Hall first phase completed in 1969 — Map (db m43020) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG 25 — Price's Fork
Price's Fork is within the area often referred to as the German New River Settlement. Before 1745, German immigrants moved from Pennsylvania and began settling in this region within the Price's Fork-Tom's Creek area near and along the horseshoe bottoms of the New River. They were among the earliest settlers of European descent in the western section of present-day Virginia. Price's Fork received its name from the Price (Preisch) family, early German settlers here, whose land bordered both sides . . . — Map (db m42850) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Restoring Stroubles Creek
What is wrong with Stroubles Creek? Stroubles Creek is considered “impaired” by the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality because it does not support a diverse community of aquatic insects and fish. The main pollutants are sediment and bacteria. What is being done to help Stroubles Creek? The Center for Watershed Studies in the Biological Systems Engineering Department at Virginia Tech, with assistance from Virginia Tech Facilities, the Town of . . . — Map (db m41473) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Robert James Davidson(1862-1915) Professor 1891-1915 — Dean, Scientific Department 1903-1913 Dean, Department of Applied Science 1913-1915
An American Association for the Advancement of Science Fellow, Robert James Davidson worked at VPI as a chemist for the experiment station as a chemistry professor before becoming the first dean of the Scientific Department and the Department of Applied Science. During 24 years at VPI, he was also President of the Association of Official Agricultural Chemists and a delegate to the International Congress of Applied Chemists. Davidson Hall first completed 1928 Marker donated by Class of 1953 — Map (db m16215) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Roy Jay Holden(1870-1945)
Professor 1905-1945 Head, Department of Geology 1907-1945 The head of VPI's Geology Department for 38 years, noted geologist Roy Jay Holden sited Virginia's first gas well, located water wells when a shortage threatened VPI, and assessed the safety of the Claytor Lake Dam site, but he forged his true legacy in the classroom. Known as a great teacher, he stimulated a lifelong scientific interest in his students. He died while preparing a lecture for his class. Holden Hall completed in 1940 — Map (db m43026) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG-9 — Smithfield
Smithfield, visible to the northeast, was the last home of Col. William Preston, a noted surveyor who fostered the settlement of western lands. Preston was also a Revolutionary officer, Indian fighter, and a member of the House of Burgesses. Built soon after 1773, Smithfield is one of the earliest surviving houses in southwestern Virginia. The house is a remarkable expression of architectural sophistication in what only a generation before had been the edge of the frontier. Smithfield remained . . . — Map (db m16234) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I 20 — Solitude
The earliest portion of Solitude was constructed about 1801 on land owned by Philip Barger, who sold the property in 1803 to James Patton Preston, governor of Virginia (1816-1819). Governor John Floyd (1830-1834), Preston's brother-in-law, lived at Solitude about 1814-1815. Preston's son, Col. Robert Preston, enlarged the house from a simple log dwelling to a central-passage-plan, Greek Revival-style house about 1851. Col. Preston sold Solitude in 1872 to secure the location of Virginia's first . . . — Map (db m16213) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Alwood OakDedicated October 14, 2011 in tribute to William Bradford Alwood
This bur oak (Quercus macrocarpa) was planted around 1895 by Professor Alwood at the site of the Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station. One of many trees planted by Alwood, it is the only living member of a collection he documented to represent the first arboretum located on the 283 acres of the Virginia Polytechnic Institute (VPI) during his service here from 1888 to 1904. In 1888, Professor William Preston hired William Bradfor Alwood as vice-director of the Virginia . . . — Map (db m64221) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — The Stroubles Creek Watershed and the Duck Pond
Learn about your watershed A watershed or drainage basin, is the area of land where all the water that drains off it runs to a specific point on a watercourse, usually a confluence of stream or river. The Stroubles Creek watershed is a sub-watershed of the New River basin in Montgomery County, Virginia. The surrounding area of Stroubles Creek is characterized by limestone/dolomite formations, sink holes, and natural springs. The streambed of Stroubles Creek is . . . — Map (db m41466) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Thomas Barksdale Hutcheson(1882-1950)
Head, Department of Agronomy 1914-1945 Dean, School of Agriculture 1946-1950 Thomas Barksdale Hutcheson lived in the dairy barn at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (Virginia Tech), working his way through college by milking cows. Widely known later for his agricultural research and writing, he and his brother, John, helped develop Virginia’s livestock, poultry, and dairy industries and moved the state from a tobacco and cotton economy into . . . — Map (db m41462) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Thomas Marshall Hahn Jr.(1926- )
Head, Department of Physics 1954-1959 President 1962-1974 President Emeritus 1975- One of the university’s greatest presidents, T. Marshall Hahn Jr. engineered Virginia Tech’s evolution from a college to a major research university. The dynamic leader severed ties with Radford College and made the Corps of Cadets voluntary, spurring record enrollments of women an unprecedented growth in the student body, degree programs, faculty, research, and physical plant. At age 35, he became Tech’s . . . — Map (db m43022) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Thomas Oldham Sandy(1857-1919)
State Demonstration Agent 1907-1917 Called the father of farm demonstration and extension work in Virginia, Thomas Oldham Sandy was a progressive farmer who promoted improved scientific education in agriculture. He became the Commonwealth’s first demonstration agent, a position moved under VPI’s purview in 1914. His boyish enthusiasm, keen sense of humor, and love for others endeared him to numerous people, and his work provided a major boost to agriculture in Virginia. Sandy Hall . . . — Map (db m41463) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I 2-e — Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University was founded in 1872 as a land-grant college specializing in agriculture and mechanics. The land-grant college system marked the beginning of scientific agricultural and industrial instruction in the Commonwealth. Over the next century Virginia Tech became nationally recognized as a comprehensive research university with a broad range of scientific, technological, business, and liberal arts instruction. The 3,000-acre main campus includes the . . . — Map (db m16237) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I-2-a — Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Five miles south lies the main campus of Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, founded in 1872 as a land-grant college specializing in agriculture and mechanical arts. The land-grant college system initiated scientific agricultural and industrial instruction in the Commonwealth. Over the next century, Virginia Tech became nationally recognized as a comprehensive research university with a broad range of scientific, technological, business, and liberal arts instruction. The . . . — Map (db m37520) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I 2d — Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University
Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University was founded in 1872 as a land-grant college specializing in agriculture and mechanics. The land-grant college system marked the beginning of scientific agricultural and industrial instruction in the Commonwealth. Over the next century Virginia Tech became nationally recognized as a comprehensive research university with a broad range of scientific, technological, business, and liberal arts instruction. The 3,000-acre main campus includes the . . . — Map (db m42848) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — I 23 — Virginia Tech Airport
The airport was founded in 1931 as a college-owned facility. School funds and a grant from the Works Progress Administration in the early 1940s paid for paving a runway and building a hangar. Two training programs offered here made the airport important during World War II. The Civilian Pilot Training Program taught selected cadets at VPI and other colleges around the country how to fly airplanes. An aircraft mechanics training program, operated under the National Youth Administration, trained . . . — Map (db m41425) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — Virginia Tech War Memorial Chapel"That I May Serve"
(left pylons) Brotherhood Honor Leadership Sacrifice (right pylons) Ut Prosim Duty Loyalty Service 1917 * 1918 H. T. Barger '16 • J. C. Berkeley '12 • R. L. Butler '15 • A. V. Carlson '21 • J. F. Clemmer '20 • J. M. Cudlipp '12 • A. S. Darden '22 • E. W. Echols '22 • J. W. France '15 • A. R. Harvey '15 • N. A. Hickman '18 • J. A. Jones '15 • C. B. Lambert '14 • M. Lake '09 • A. B. Moore '16 • S. B. Moore '15 • S. W. Murry '16 • E. L. Phillips '20 . . . — Map (db m43044) WM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William Addison Caldwell
Craig County farm boy Add Caldwell walked 26 miles to enroll here in 1872 as the first student. The popular cadet majored in agriculture and worked as a teacher, clerk, and salesman before his death in 1910. Donated by the Class of 1956 Sculpture by Lawrence Reid Bechtel — Map (db m42925) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — KG 24 — William Black
Just northeast stood the home of William Black, the founder of Blacksburg. In 1797, he laid out a 16-block grid and petitioned the Virginia General Assembly to incorporate a town here; the legislature approved his petition on 13 January 1798. On 4 August 1798, he deeded the 38ľ-acre site to the town's trustees, who included his brother and himself. Black served as a justice of the peace before moving to Ohio. He died there in 1850 at the age of 84 and he was buried in Pike Township, Clark County. — Map (db m41436) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William Bradford Alwood(1845 - 1946)
Professor / Department Head, Horticulture, Mycology, & Entomology Vice Director, Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station (1888 - 1904) "The splendid service which you rendered this institution will ever be remembered, and it is my hope that some day your name will be honored in some permanent manner, which will remain here for all time to let those who come after us know of your part in the making of this institution." - President Julian A. Burruss, February 3, 1927 . . . — Map (db m64217) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William Frank Henderson(1853-1935)
Student 1872-1873 College Physician 1891-1920 Consulting Physician 1920-1935 During more than half of his life, Dr. William F. Henderson treated thousands of cadets at Virginia Agricultural and Mechanical College and Polytechnic Institute (now Virginia Tech). Efficient and kindly, he also chaperoned dances and attended football games, where he staunchly supported the team. Off-campus, the well-known physician made house calls to virtually every home in Blacksburg. Henderson Hall . . . — Map (db m43024) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Blacksburg — William MacFarland Patton(1845-1905)
Chair, Civil Engineering 1896-1905 Dean, Department of Engineering 1904-1905 A distinguished engineer, educator, and author, William MacFarland Patton chaired Civil Engineering at VPI and became the first dean of the Department of Engineering. He worked as the engineer on numerous projects in several countries, wrote definitive books on Civil Engineering, and headed engineering departments at two colleges. Honored as a patriot, he held the rank of Colonel in the Virginia Militia. Patton . . . — Map (db m16264) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — K 72 — Christiansburg
Christiansburg, originally known as "Hans Meadows," was established in 1792 and named for Colonel William Christian noted Colonial and Revolutionary Indian fighter. It became an important place on the route to the West. On May 10, 1864, Averell raided the town on an expedition into southwest Virginia. On April 5, Stoneman raided it while destroying railroads. — Map (db m23905) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — K 68 — Christiansburg Industrial Institute
In 1866, Captain Charles S. Schaeffer, a Freedmen's Bureau agent, organized a school for blacks on the hill just to the southeast. Charles L. Marshall of Tuskeegee Institute became principal of the school in 1896. Under his guidance and with support from Philadelphia Quakers, a library, dormitories, classrooms, shops, and barns were constructed. Both academic and industrial classes were offered at the institute until 1947 when it became a public high school. In 1966, the institute graduated its . . . — Map (db m41424) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — K 71 — Lewis-McHenry Duel
In this town occurred the duel between Thomas Lewis and John McHenry in May, 1808. This was the first duel with rifles known to have taken place in Virginia. It resulted in the death of both men. Dr. John Floyd, later Governor of Virginia and member of Congress, was the attending surgeon. This affair contributed to the passage in January, 1810, of the Barbour Bill outlawing dueling in Virginia. — Map (db m41422) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — Montgomery County Confederate Monument
To the memory of Montgomery’s sons who fell in the Lost Cause and to all the Confederate dead who lie beneath her soil. This monument is erected by her daughters 1861-1865 In this county lie the remains of 300 Confederate soldiers from sister Southern states whose sacrifice this stone also commemorates. Erected 1883. — Map (db m41453) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Christiansburg — Montgomery County War Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of these citizens of Mont- gomery County, Virginia, who made the supreme sacrifice in the service of our country in the world conflicts Sponsored and erected by the Montgomery County American Legion Post No. 59 in co-operation with the citizens of Montgomery Co., Virginia, dedicated May 31, 1953 Charles A. Bartlett, Commander Kenneth M. Frost, Vice Commander Map (db m41445) WM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Elliston — K 67 — Fotheringay
Fotheringay was the home of George Hancock (1754-1820), a colonel in the Virginia Line during the Revolutionary War and aide-de-camp to Count Casimir Pulaski. He later served in both the Virginia House of Delegates and in the U.S. Congress, and was the father-in-law of explorer William Clark. Fotheringay, an elegant expressing of the Federal style, was built about 1796 with a steep mountain as a dramatic backdrop. Fotheringay's interior woodwork, particularly its chimneypieces and doorways, . . . — Map (db m23904) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Elliston-Lafayette — Z 105 — Montgomery County / Roanoke County
Montgomery County Area 401 Square Miles Formed in 1776 from Fincastle, and named for General Richard Montgomery, killed at Quebec, 1775. The Virginia Polytechnic Institute is here. Roanoke County Area 305 Square Miles Formed in 1838 from Botetourt and Montgomery, and probably named for Roanoke River. General Andrew Lewis lived here. The city of Roanoke is known as the "Magic City" of the south. — Map (db m23827) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Lafayette — Bow String Arch TrussOldest metal bridge in Virginia
This structure was built in 1878 by King Iron and Bridge Co. in Bedford County. It remained in use until 1971. It is the oldest metal bridge in Virginia. — Map (db m3853) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Lafayette — KG-12 — Montgomery White Sulphur Springs
Near here stood Montgomery White Sulphur Springs, popular resort area of 19th century America. During the Civil War the resort was converted into a military hospital staffed by Catholic nuns. Several hundred victims of smallpox including nurses and soldiers are buried nearby. The Southern Historical Society was reorganized here in August, 1873, when Jefferson Davis delivered the principal address. — Map (db m3851) HM
Virginia (Montgomery County), Shawsville — K 73 — Fort Vause
Ephraim Vause was appointed Captain of Horse in 1753 and was considered a man of considerable influence. For the protection of his family and his neighbors he built a simple palisaded fort nearby on his farm. In June 1756, during the French and Indian War, Indians attacked and burned the fort; a relief party led by Maj. Andrew Lewis arrived too late to save most of the occupants. Capt. Peter Hogg quickly rebuilt the fort, as a composite earth-and-palisade structure. George Washington inspected . . . — Map (db m42849) HM
51 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 221 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.