HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Morris County Markers
New Jersey (Morris County), Bartley — Bartleyville
In 1861 the Wm. Bartley & Sons foundry was established here along the South Branch of the Raritan River. Workers made bridges, farm machinery, steam engines, and turbines. The High Bridge branch of the Central Railroad of New Jersey gave the foundry access to wide markets. — Map (db m22514) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Bernardsville — The New Jersey BrigadeMorristown National Historical Park
New Jersey soldiers enlisted early in the Revolution and fought through to the end. The war took them to Canada in the beginning and Yorktown at the end, but most of their service was nearer home. The brigade camped here during the winter of 1779-1780. The trail – 20 minutes – passes some remains of the camp. — Map (db m9030) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Boonton — Boonton Railroad Station
The DL&W Railroad built this prairie style station in 1904. Passenger trains served the growing commuter population. Freight trains delivered coal to heat homes and power local mills, then departed with products headed to market. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m33493) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Boonton — Dr. John Taylor House1898
Dr. Taylor resided and practiced medicine here. Dwelling purchased 1921 by town of Boonton as memorial to World War I veterans. Town Hall until 1965. Headquarters, Post 124, American Legion. — Map (db m33494) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Boonton — Holmes Library
Original Greek Revival dwelling built for commercial use 1849. Purchased for residence 1856 by James Holmes, prominent Boonton citizen. Building enlarged and converted to Holmes Library 1893. National Register of Historic Places • New Jersey Register of Historic Places — Map (db m37923) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Boonton — Morris Canal1824 - 1924 — National Register Landmark
Lock 13 east a boat basin and Clarks Coal Yard were near here. Morris County — Map (db m33508) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Butler — American Hard Rubber Company1898
Company, and affiliated predecessors, oldest manufacturer of hard rubber products in the world. Butler, model industrial village, developed around rubber industry. In 1880, town named for Richard Butler, rubber executive. — Map (db m42250) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — Bey's Boxing CampCirca 1920-1960
After managing Lightweight Champion of the World Freddie Welsh's nearby Health Farm, Madame Hranoush Bey ran a world-renowned training camp on this site. Gene Tunney, Sugar Ray Robinson, Floyd Patterson, Max Schmeling were among the famous fighters trained here. — Map (db m43465) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — Chatham Historic District
Scene of Washington’s Headquarters and massing of Continental troops prior to march on Yorktown August 27 – 29, 1781. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Sites Map (db m8877) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — Chatham Township WWII Memorial
Dedicated to the Gallant Men and Women of Chatham Township who served their country during World War II. In Memoriam Leo Herman • Edward A. Nicolai • Robert E. Pierson • Willard W. Roberts • Charles Stuckelman • Edward C. Weisgerber — Map (db m21975) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — Gibbons Horse BarnCirca 1834
William Gibbons, prominent racing patron, built stable to house his thoroughbred racehorses, including Fashion, "Queen of the American Turf". Barn is an outstanding example of an early 19th century horse barn. — Map (db m19595) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — New Jersey Journal
During the Revolution, former soldier Shepard Kollock printed the New Jersey Journal on this site “to maintain the cause of freedom” and serve the army in Morristown. The Journal, north Jersey’s only wartime newspaper, founded in 1779, later thrived in Elizabeth from 1786 to 1991. Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m8878) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham — Noe Pond
Pre-revolutionary farm pond, on an 800 acre tract owned by the Noe family, provided water and ice for the Noe farm, dairy and greenhouses. Converted in 1955 to a private family swim and recreation club by Jack & Ruth Noe and Taz & Baily Brower Jr., a Noe descendant. — Map (db m38135) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chatham Township — Mount Vernon SchoolDistrict 78
Built around 1860 as one room schoolhouse. Served until 1928 as one of four township schools. Renovated as Chatham Township Hall 1959. — Map (db m8879) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Bartley Turbine
In the late 19th century, cast iron turbines began to replace more picturesque water wheels. Turbines were less susceptible to freezing and did not require the costly construction and endless repairs associated with wooden water wheels. A turbine provided more power with greater efficiency, took up less space and used simpler gearing than a wooden water wheel. This turbione works by directing a flow of water into a closed turbine case. To escape, the water must pass through adjustable, angled . . . — Map (db m20324) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Brick Tavern1810 - 1812
Federal style structure built for Zephaniah Drake as stage coach stop. Purchased 1854 by William Rankin who added two wings, and converted inn to Chester Institute. — Map (db m20328) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Chester Area Veterans Monument
Dedicated to Those From the Chester Area Who Served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America. With faith and courage they left their homes and committed themselves to the horrors of armed conflict, many sacrificing their lives as part of the cost to achieve peace. Through their actions they leave a legacy that is our responsibility to preserve. That legacy is a free nation, where liberty and justice are more than just words, where anyone's hopes and dreams can become reality, . . . — Map (db m23021) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Chester Veterans Monument
Dedicated to the Honor and Sacrifice of the Men and Women of the Township and Borough of Chester Who Served in the Armed Forces of the United States in all Wars. — Map (db m20326) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Cooper Gristmill1826
Original gristmill circa 1788. Owned by Elias Howell. Present gristmill built 1826 by Nathan Cooper. Only surviving structure of the industrial community, Milltown, — Map (db m20322) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — First Congregational Church
Congregation, organized 1740. Oldest of this denomination west of the Hudson River. Built 1856. Notable for Greek Revival architecture and rare interior Trompe L'Oeil painting. — Map (db m23022) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Gardens at Bamboo Brook
Martha Brookes Hutcheson, renowned as one of America's first professional female landscape architects, lived at Merchiston Farm. Now called Bamboo Brook, from 1911 to 1959. These gardens are an example of an early 20th-century landscape designed by Hutcheson in the mode of the country place era and embodies many of her design principles and ideals. In 1989 Merchiston Farm was listed on the New Jersey and National Registers of Historic Places. Funding has been made possible in part by . . . — Map (db m33170) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Hacklebarney
Hacklebarney or Budd Forge, built about 1763. Operations ceased after 1834. Hacklebarney Mine upstream furnished ore. — Map (db m22512) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Martha Brookes HutchesonWomen's Heritage Trail
Martha Brookes Hutcheson (1871-1959) was one of America's first women landscape architects. After studying for three years in the Landscape Architecture program at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, she began her practice in 1902. Mrs. Hutcheson designed the gardens of over a dozen estates in Massachusetts and Long Island as well as numerous smaller gardens in New York and northern New Jersey. She became a member of the American Society of Landscape Architects in 1920 and was made an . . . — Map (db m33173) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Merchiston Farm1911 - 1959
Home of Martha Brookes Hutcheson, prominent early woman landscape architect who transformed this 18th century working farm into outstanding example of natural and classic landscape design. — Map (db m33169) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Milltown - A 19th Century Village
Few vestiges remain, but in the 1880s Milltown bustled. Cooper Mill shared "Main Street" with a blacksmith shop, a general store, a tavern, Abram Cooper's sawmill and the Mountain Spring Distillery, a cider mill that made apple brandy and apple jack. One mile north, the Chester Furnace employed 100 men who produced nearly 300 tons of iron weekly. Down river, Nichols' Woolen Mill turned out blankets and Taylor's iron roaster burned unwanted sulphur from ore mined nearby. Trains loaded with iron . . . — Map (db m20325) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Chester — Sgt. Larry W. Maysey
K.I.A. Laos, S.E. Asia Nov. 9, 1967 U.S.A.F. "To assist wounded survivors, That others may live. Sgt. Maysey subjected himself to a hail of hostile fire." "For those who fight for it, Life has a flavor that the Protected will never know ..." Dedication: Memorial Day, May 30, 2005 Veterans Committee Terry Arentowicz • Scott Hoffman • Bruce Campbell • Dave Steffan • Marc Dean • Al Seals • Larry Oppel • Linda Oppel • John Dean — Map (db m20327) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Convent Station — Boisaubin House
Built in 1790's by a French emigre on a campsite of the Continental Army, later, a station on the "Underground Railroad" — Map (db m18228) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), East Hanover — Halfway House
A Revolutionary tavern, owned by Colonel Ellis Cook, member of the Morris County Militia. The tavern derived its name from Sussex County farmers who stopped here enroute to Newark markets. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Sites Map (db m32272) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), East Hanover — Hanover Presbyterian Church
Oldest Religious congregation in Morris County, established in 1718. Relocated at Meeting House here in 1755. Present church built in 1835. — Map (db m32273) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), East Hanover — Hanover Presbyterian Church & Unknown Continental Soldiers
Erected to mark the site of the original Hanover Presbyterian Church built in 1755. Also in memory of the Unknown Continental Soldiers who died here when the church was used as a hospital during the Revolutionary War. — Map (db m32274) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), East Hanover — Morris County
Founded 1739. George Washington and Continental Army encamped here, 1777, and 1779 – 1780. Major iron-producing center in the nation during the 19th century. — Map (db m33487) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), East Hanover — The First School
Site of The Latin School The First School circa 1774 Founded by the Rev. Jacob Green Plaque erected by E. Hanover American Revolution Bicentennial Committee 1776   -   1976 — Map (db m32285) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Florham Park — Columbia School District   No. 51866
Built on site of 1830 wooden school. Present structure predates Florham Park borough by 33 years. Classes held here continuously until 1914. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m36415) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Florham Park — Hedges – Fish HomesteadCirca 1751
Property acquired by Deacon Gideon Hedges, and still owned by Fish descendants. Farm contracted to supply Continental Army with oats For forage 1779. — Map (db m43324) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Green Village — Chatham Township Vietnam Memorial
In grateful recognition of the many sacrifices made by those who served in the Vietnam Conflict, the people of Chatham Township dedicate this park to the memory of ROBERT EMMETT PIERSON WALTER BUSILL TULLY, JR. Who gave their lives for their country — Map (db m18230) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Green Village — Dickson's Mill Pond
Across Pine Brook, you can see the remnants of the dam that once turned this valley into a pond and harnessed water to turn a sawmill, later a cider mill. The miller's house was behind you. The mill itself stood between this marker and the brook. This peaceful little valley, active with wildlife, is one of the most beloved scenes in Harding Township. The 30-acre property, consisting of the stream corridor and surrounding wetlands and woods, was the first acquired by the Harding Land Trust, a . . . — Map (db m21974) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Hanover — A Good Place for a Halt
“ . . . Whippany will be a good place for a halt . . . ” Washington to Rochambeau On August 27 and 28, 1781, a 5,000-man French Army under General Count Rochambeau encamped on grounds extending northeast from here toward the Whippany River. After resting, they marched rapidly southward, in parallel with American troops led by General George Washington, to Yorktown, Virginia. There, on October 19, 1781, the combined armies forced surrender of British General Lord . . . — Map (db m36418) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Hanover — Village of Monroe1715
Founded by Demas Ford, this village was located on the King’s Road (now Whippany Road) and became a stagecoach stop between Morristown and Whippany. — Map (db m36410) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — A heritage of hearthsMorristown National Historical Park
Soldiers of the Pennsylvania Line built these hearths in the winter of 1779-1780. The rest of the encampment vanished decades ago, victims of disuse and decay. These huts are copies, based partly on the ghosts of post holes and foundation logs still found in the ground. But only the hearths survived just as they were then. The little mementos – buttons, knives, pipe stems – have all been sifted out of the ground and studied to recapture the life of Washington’s soldiers. — Map (db m25542) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — A Revolutionary Winter
Morristown National Historical Park commemorates the suffering of the Continental Army during the terrible winter encampment of 1779-1780. It commemorates also the ability and leadership of George Washington. The main part of Washington’s army camped in Jockey Hollow during that winter. There were no smiling fields and shady trails – just snow and cols, bitter cold. The rural comfort of Henry Wick’s farm sheltered many of the cols 10,000 who camped in huts and prayed for spring. — Map (db m8600) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — A Trash PitMorristown National Historical Park
Even in times of severest want, there are trash pits. What else can you do with the occasional bone? Or the inevitable broken oddments? Wreckage of a chicken or a beef, a pipe or a musket? Archeologists removed everything – a meager collection. The army’s supplies gave out. At times the men ate bark or shoes, if they had shoes (and many didn’t). Yet, there was still a trash pit. — Map (db m12111) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Anderson Woods
These fifteen wooded acres were purchased by Joyce and Edgar Anderson in 1950 and permanently preserved through their generosity in partnership with Harding Land Trust, Harding Township and New Jersey Audobon Society. The beauty of the land inspired Anderson's renowned art and their dream to protect land and its wildlife for all future generations. "As responsible citizens we don't own our land, we are stewards of our land. We hope to pass it on in better shape than we received it" Edgar Anderson — Map (db m36856) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Captain Adam Bettin
In memory of Captain Adam Bettin Shot in the Mutiny Jan.1, 1781. Erected by the Morristown Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m8860) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Guards
Each day’s guard reported here for inspection, a short drill, and the daily parole and countersign. From here they relieved the previous day’s guard. The camp guard – 27 men from every 2 regiments – surrounded Jockey Hollow with a chain of sentinels. A picket guard – 2 officers and 50 men – assembled daily and “lay on their arms” waiting for orders. — Map (db m8808) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Hand’s BrigadeMorristown National Historical Park
Edward Hand of Pennsylvania was a physician before the war. His brigade consisted of two Pennsylvania regiments and two Canadian. The Canadians joined the American army during the 1775-76 invasion of Canada. In 1780-81, Pennsylvania troops commanded by General Anthony Wayne occupied the huts Hand’s Brigades had used the previous winter. The Pennsylvanians mutinied on New Year’s Day, 1781, and marched to Piladelphia to present their grievances to the Continental Congress. They finally moved . . . — Map (db m8867) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Inspections
Faces and hands washed … beards close shaven…hair combed and tied if long enough … shoes clean…clothes brushed… And cartridge boxes …. Washington worried often about cartridge boxes. Unless they kept a soldier’s powder dry, his musket was useless. Despite every effort, cartridge boxes often fell short of standards – lack of money and shortages of leather. So … a captain inspected cartridge boxes every morning. — Map (db m8809) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Jockey Hollow
In the winter of 1779-80 coldest of the War the Patriot Army camped in these hills, smaller forces stayed until 1782. — Map (db m8593) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Mt. Kemble-Glen Alpin
1847 Gothic Revival villa, “Mount Kemble,” built for Henry and Frances Duer Hoyt on the site of the house of colonial official Peter Kemble, reluctant host to Continental Army. Renamed “Glen Alpin” by David H. McAlpin in 1885. — Map (db m8594) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — On the lineMorristown National Historical Park
Between here and the British army in New York City lay a land of divided loyalty. Washington kept several brigades patrolling out there “on the line.” The soldiers never knew who was Patriot and who was Tory. And mistakes could be fatal. The Watchung Mountains took no sides but divided the armies from one another – them from us and us from them. Patrolling “on the line” meant patrolling the Watchung Mountains – mostly. — Map (db m25535) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — RHIPMorristown National Historical Park
RHIP – Rank Hath Its Privileges – bigger huts, more privacy, two fireplaces – the normal social distinctions of the day. But officers and men worked together to build the huts and the soldiers’ huts were built first. Some officers were still in tents as late as February. After two centuries only the hearths remain. Decay took the hut, and archeologists have the few artifacts that were found for study and preservation. — Map (db m12113) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — RoadsMorristown National Historical Park
Today the Mendham-Elizabethtown Road looks about as the army found it. The highways then were rivers and the sea. Roads – usually short and rough – led to water. Jockey Hollow Road, a little improved today for motor vehicles, led farmers to market. That New Jersey winter was no time to travel. Couriers and soldiers used the roads, but most people stayed home and let the army get what few supplies it could – barely enough. — Map (db m8866) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Settling in
Washington ordered all the huts to be alike, lined up neatly in rows with the soldiers in front and the officers behind. The men camped in tents until the huts were ready – Christmas time for the soldiers and January or February for the officers. Then they built the orderly huts, kitchens, and the rest. Altogether they put up over 1,000 huts in Jockey Hollow. The Pennsylvania Line had about 200 of them lined up on the hillside in front of you. — Map (db m8598) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Sons of Saint PatrickThe Irish at Jockey Hollow — Morristown National Historical Park
Saint Patrick’s Day, March 17, 1780 was “ . . . ushered in with Music and the hoisting of Colours, exhibiting the 13 Stripes, the favorite Harp, and an Inscription, declaring in Capitals, THE INDEPENDENCE OF IRELAND.” – The New-York Gazette and the Weekly Mercury; April 24, 1780 Irishmen fought on both sides of the American Revolution. For the British, they fought in battles from Maine to Georgia as members of the Royal Irish Artillery, the Queen’s Rangers and the . . . — Map (db m32684) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Stark’s Brigade
Stark’s Brigade occupied this slope. — Map (db m25540) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Stark’s BrigadeMorristown National Historical Park
John Stark, a New Hampshire frontiersman, fought at Bunker Hill, Trenton, and Princeton. His brigade of New Englanders defeated part of Burgoyne’s army at Bennington, the first of a series of blows which ended when Burgoyne surrendered at Saratoga two months later. Many black Americans fought for the cause of independence as soldiers in this brigade. An unknown soldier in Stark’s Brigade drew a map of the huts here. Primitive as it looks, archeologists found it so accurate that they sometimes . . . — Map (db m25565) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The Connecticut LineMorristown National Historical Park
The Connecticut Line camped here until February when Washington sent them to guard against British raids near Staten Island. When they returned to Jockey Hollow in May, they moved into huts of the Maryland Brigades, which had just gone south. Joseph Plumb Martin joined the army in the spring of 1777 and stayed with it until 1783. Years later he wrote the only known reminiscences of the Morristown winter by a private. A four-day blizzard in January 1780 closed all roads to Jockey Hollow, . . . — Map (db m25534) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The First Maryland BrigadeMorristown National Historical Park
The Marylanders were ordered south in April 1780 to reinforce the garrison at Charleston, South Carolina. The New Jersey Brigade, just back from guard posts near the British lines, moved into the Maryland huts for the next three weeks. The Jersey troops were relieved by the Continental Line, which moved into this area in May. Although the weather had improved, the rations had not. Two hungry Connecticut regiments mutinied here on May 25, 1780. Washington declared that the mutiny gave him . . . — Map (db m12101) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The Grand Parade
A focal point of the sprawling “log cabin city” at Jockey Hollow was the Grand Parade. Each day, guard details assembled here for inspection, and General Orders from Washington’s headquarters were distributed. This was also the site of formal military reviews. And it was here that those guilty of serious crimes were executed and buried. The original Grand Parade was located beyond this open ground, in the woods to the north. It was 400 yards long and 100 yards wide – six times the size of this clearing. — Map (db m8599) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The Guerin HouseMorristown National Historical Park
When Washington’s soldiers camped in Jockey Hollow, they occupied parts of blacksmith Joshua Guerin’s land. Parts of this house stood here then. — Map (db m8819) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The New York BrigadeMorristown National Historical Park
1779, summer in upstate New York … campaigning against Indian allies of Britain. 1780, winter – Morristown, camping near here. 1781, fall – Yorktown, Va. Witnessing the British surrender. — Map (db m8818) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The Old Camp RoadMorristown National Historical Park
When the population of Jockey Hollow jumped from two or three farmers to 10,000 soldiers, the army had to build some roads. This is one of them, running between two pre-Revolutionary roads; the Jockey Hollow Road and the Basking Ridge Road. You can walk it in 45 minutes; a soldier slogging through snow probably took a little longer. — Map (db m11895) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The Pennsylvania Line
The First and Second Pennsylvania Brigades – the Pennsylvania Line – was the backbone of Washington’s army. From the invasion of Canada in 1775 to the victory at Yorktown in 1781 Pennsylvania troops served in almost every major battle. At Monmouth, which began as an American calamity and ended no worse than a draw, Pennsylvanians held the American positions during the initial retreat until Washington put things to rights. Anthony Wayne, who commanded the Second Brigade, wrote of . . . — Map (db m8597) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The Second Maryland BrigadeMorristown National Historical Park
Like all the brigades at Jockey Hollow, the Marylanders faced shortages of supplies and provisions. Baron von Steuben, the army’s inspector general, noted their condition in January 1780: “The Cloathing is in very bad order for want of Mending. Shirts and Shoes are very much wanting especially in the three Regiments of the Second Brigade; where great Numbers of the Men are wholly Destitude of those articles.” Map (db m12104) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The Wick FarmMorristown National Historical Park
Henry Wick lived here. His main cash crop – several hundred trees – fixed him more comfortably than most New Jersey farmers of his day. Suddenly in December, 1779, 10,000 hungry soldiers became his guests. Many of them camped on his land, much of which was wooded then as it is now – at least it was wooded before the soldiers came. His home became the headquarters of General Arthur St. Clair, commander of the Pennsylvania Line. — Map (db m8822) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — The Wick Farm
Henry Wick’s prosperous 1,400-acre farm yielded a bounty typical of this area: wheat, corn, hay, rye, and timber. Orchards provided apples for cider; a kitchen garden near the house produced vegetables. Then Washington’s army arrived. For three winters (1779-1782) parts of the Continental Army camped on Wick’s farm and the rest of Jockey Hollow. Rows of log huts and company streets lined slopes once covered by woods. During the harsh winter of 1779-1780 alone the Continental Army consumed . . . — Map (db m72805) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m8903) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route Washington with his army retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton January – 1777 -------------- Erected by the D-A-R — Map (db m8905) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Harding Twsp — Richard J. GuadagnoSeptember 26, 1962 - September 11, 2001
Richard J. Guadagno, a U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service (USFWS) employee, passionately devoted his life to the conservation of natural resources. He was the Refuge Mangaer of Humbolt Bay National Wildlife Refuge in California and a trained law enforcement officer when his flight, United Airlines 93, was hijacked by terrorists on September 11, 2001. Rich was among the brave passengers and flight crew whose heroic actions prevented further tragedy that fateful day. Rich grew up in New Jersey . . . — Map (db m73940) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Kinnelon — Great Charlotteburg Furnace Tract1765
In this area, Peter Hasenclever built iron works for the “American Company.” Operation of furnace and three forges later managed by John-Jacob Faesch and Robert Erskine. — Map (db m21129) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Lincoln Park — John Dods TavernCirca 1770
The tavern, noted by Washington in correspondence to his officers, was a popular stop for Continental troops enroute to West Point from Morristown. — Map (db m42055) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Loantaka — Loantaka Trail
The Morris County Park Commission dedicates this recreation trail to the greater environmental enjoyment of its citizens. Made possible by the generous donation of lands by Dr. and Mrs. Adrian T. Platt and Family. — Map (db m19594) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — German Valley
Settled by German groups about 1740. Union Church of logs, 1747, stone, 1774. Renamed Long Valley during first world war. — Map (db m63559) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — German Valley
Palatine Germans seeking refuge from war and famine settled here c1740. By 1760 they had established farms and mills as well as Lutheran and German reformed Congregations. Many of the stone houses they built still stand. In July 1918 during World War I the area was renamed Long Valley. National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic Places — Map (db m73488) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — German Valley Bridgec. 1870
This four span random-coursed stone arch bridge is characteristic of stonework associated with German Valley. It is the only four span stone arch bridge in Morris County. — Map (db m58594) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — German Valley School Bell
Between 1830 and 1886 this bell rang from a belfry on top of this building when it served as a school. In memory of Kathleen Darter. — Map (db m58413) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — Obadiah Latourette Grist and Saw Mill
This mill is listed on the Sate and National Registers of Historic Places as a contributing property in the German Valley Historic District. Built circa 1750, and owned by Phillip Weise, the mill was essential to the economy and development of German Valley and the surrounding agricultural community. For much of its history, it was the most successful business in the village, grinding grain and producing flour and animal feed. A saw mill was located behind the grist mill during the . . . — Map (db m63558) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — Old Stone Union Church1774
The site of the pastorate of Henry M. Muhlenberg D.D. Known as the father of Lutheranism in America — Map (db m22663) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Long Valley — Schooley's Mountain Historic District
Fashionable 19th century resort renowned for famous mineral spring and mountain scenery. District includes site of Heath House, Belmont Hall, Forest Grove and present Presbyterian Church, Blake House and General Store. — Map (db m63114) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Bottle Hill Tavern
Site of ‘Bottle Hill Tavern’ conducted by David Brant prior to 1750 — Map (db m43349) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Florham 1893-1955
Florham 1893-1955 Country estate of Hamilton and Florence Vanderbilt Twombly. Grounds designed by Frederick Law Olmsted and Son. Buildings designed by McKim, Mead and White. Acquired by Fairleigh Dickinson University in 1958 — Map (db m32108) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Francis Asbury
1745 - 1816 Methodist Pioneer Itinerant Preacher — Map (db m32993) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — James Madison1751 ---- 1836
. . . — Map (db m33505) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Mead Hall1836
Greek Revival mansion, built by William Gibbons, part of estate, "The Forest". Purchased 1868 by Daniel Drew for Drew Theological Seminary. Mansion named for Roxanne Mead Drew. New Jersey Register of Historic Places — Map (db m32994) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Miller's Station
Pre-Revolutionary house owned by Josiah Miller. Inherited by his son Luke, Major in the Morris County Militia. Property remained in family until 1889. — Map (db m36336) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Rose City
Rose culture in this area began in 1856. Largest greenhouse "range" built in 1880. Madison became known as "The Rose City" — Map (db m32995) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Sayre Homestead
Headquarters of General Anthony Wayne This house was occupied by General Anthony Wayne while the Continental Army was encamped in Loantaka Valley, 1777. Olaced by Loantaka Chapter Daughters of the American Revolution October 22, 1936 — Map (db m43323) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Madison — Sayre House
Built about 1745, was the headquarters of Gen. Anthony Wayne in 1777. Rev. James Caldwell was frequent visitor here. — Map (db m32991) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — A Haven From Everyday Life
Whether you call the mansion before you "Queen Anne Farm" as the Bensels did, or Hardscrabble House as the Cross Family renamed it, the estate served as an escape from everyday life. John A. and Ella Bensel built the house in 1905, and William R. and Julia Newbold Cross purchased it in 1929. Both families were part of a trend of wealthy industrialists and financiers who established country homes in the Morristown area and Bernardsville's "Mountain Colony." As you explore the mansion's . . . — Map (db m18311) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Black Horse Inn
Farmhouse home of Ebenezer Byram, one of Mendham's founding fathers. In 1742 opened as tavern to travelers. In continuous operation as hostelry over two hundred years. — Map (db m18219) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Bockoven Farm
This stone monument was constructed from a foundation of a barn on the former Bockoven Farm. This was the site of the last working dairy farm in Brookside. — Map (db m36863) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Brookside Historic District"Water Street"
Water power and natural resources made this a busy industrial village from the early 18th century through 1900. Visible today are waterways that powered sawmills, grist mills, wagon shops, a glass factory, and cottage industries. — Map (db m36860) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Hilltop Church1745
The original church chartered in 1745. Served as a hospital for the Continental Army in 1777. The present church was built in 1860. — Map (db m32997) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Lebbeus Dod Housecirca 1750
Lebbeus Dod, Captain of the Morris County Militia during the Revolution; also renowned craftsman noted for his clocks and mathematical instruments. — Map (db m18218) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Mendham Township War Memorial
(upper plaque) In lasting memory of those from Mendham Township who gave their lives in our country's world wars. Richard I. East • Hugh P. Easteurn III • Robert A. Ferguson • Frank A. Karwell • James W. Maw • J.H. Miller • Francis L. Winston And in gratitude to those who served. (lower plaque) In Memory Vietnam Conflict John T. Glanville, Jr. LSDR USN March 18, 1934 June 14, 1969 • CPL Robert Bruce Tufts December 22, 1942 June 14, 1969 — Map (db m36862) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Mendham Township War Memorial
This memorial is placed here to honor all those brave men and women who sacrificed to serve our country in the cause of freedom. World War I - 1917-1919 World War II - 1941-1945 Korea - 1950-1955 Vietnam - 1961-1975 Operation Desert Storm - 1991 — Map (db m36864) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Ralston District of Mendhamcirca 1742
Logan's grist mill supplied food to Washington's troops during Jockey Hollow encampment. John Ralston, early industrialist, occupied the manor house 1786-1819, and operated the general store, subsequently a post office 1892-1941. — Map (db m18217) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Ralston New Jersey
First settled as a hamlet called Roxiticus. The stone mill was built in 1732 for John Logan. The mansion house and store about 1780 for John Ralston. Inscribed by the Ralston Historical Association - Custodian of the store building since 1941. — Map (db m18216) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — The Angel Tree
In 1996, Harry Robinson, noted local wood sculptor, created from the trunk of a dying 200+ year old copper beech tree this work of art. Inspired by the following words from the gospel according to St. Luke. "And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, Glory to God in the highest and on Earth peace, good will toward men." — Map (db m36865) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — The Aqueduct Trail
Nathanael Greene, Washington's quartermaster, wrote of Jockey Hollow: There is wood I am in hopes is sufficient for the purpose of hunting and firing, if it is used properly. There is water in plenty, tho in some places it will be some distance to fetch. The trail runs through the woods where the army cut 600 acres for hut building and firewood. It follows one of the streams where the men fetched water and, years later, Morristown built some waterworks. — Map (db m32594) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Union School1851
Built and operated as a one room school until 1928, when students transferred to Mendham Borough School. Remodelled as private dwelling after acquisition by Schiff Scout Reservation, 1941 — Map (db m16981) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Washington Valley Schoolhouse1869
Built on site of original 1813 "Brick School". Educated 30-40 children yearly until 1913. Served as a Sunday School 1875-1937. In continuous use as a community meeting place since 1851. — Map (db m36859) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mendham — Wick Farm Garden
These plants and plots recreate a farm garden during the American Revolution. This year's garden has been researched, worked, and interpreted by the Herb Society of America, Northern New Jersey Unit, in cooperation with--- Morristown National Historic Park. — Map (db m18309) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Millington — Millington Schoolhouse #74
Built in early 19th century as one room school. Classes held continuously until 1926. Addition added 1910. Since 1928 used as Passaic Township Hall. Public school classes discontinued in 1933. — Map (db m32987) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Millington — Morris County
Founded 1739. George Washington and Continental Army encamped here, 1777, and 1779-1780. Major iron-producing center in the nation during the 19th century. — Map (db m20153) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Montville — Nicholas Vreeland Outkitchen
Dutch stone outkitchen c.1780, part of a farm/sawmill complex built by Nicholas and Catrina Van Duyne Vreeland on 180 acres purchased in 1775. Features include a rare jambless fireplace with a four-foot crane and original door and hardware. National Register of Historic Places State Register of Historic Places — Map (db m42978) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris — Continental Army Encampment at Morristown1777 1781
Jockey Hollow Cemetery More than one hundred Continental soldiers who made the supreme sacrifice for American Liberty are buried in this cemetery. Their comrades were housed in huts along the Jockey Hollow Road. The people of Morristown reverently erect this monument as a tribute to them and to the valor of the Continental Army whose occupancy of Jockey Hollow has hallowed this ground. Dedicated May 30, 1932 — Map (db m8532) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris — Continental Army Encampment at Morristown1777 1781
The Artillery Park The artillery under Gen. Henry Knox and the artificers under Col. Jeduthan Baldwin were encamped on this hillside during 1779-80. The soldiers were housed in huts. The guns were parked along this road. The horses were pastured in what is now Burnham Park. Erected by Morristown Post Number 59 – American Legion November 11, 1932 — Map (db m9664) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris — Mountain School1810
Oldest schoolhouse still standing in Morris township. Addition built in 1899. School held here continuously from 1810-1914. Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m8595) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris — Park of Artillery
Artillery Brigade Cantonment commanded by General Henry Knox hutted near this site during second winter encamp- ment of Continental Army in 1779 – 1780. Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m9662) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris Plains — Glenbrook
Original dwelling built by Ebenezer Stiles about 1752. Lighthorsemen quartered here during Revolution. House enlarged 1868 by Jonathan Roberts, founder of Library Association 1881. — Map (db m33491) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris Township — Morris Township 9-11 Memorial
To commemorate Morris Township Citizens Lost in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001 — Map (db m18224) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris Township — Morris Township Veterans Monument
Dedicated to the Members of the Armed Services, The Sung and the Unsung, The Known and the Unknown, The Returned and the Remaining, Beloved Heroes All Who In Latitudes and Longitudes Near and Remote, In Times Recent and Distant, Did Answer The Call To Duty Korea: June 25, 1950 - July 27, 1953 Vietnam: August 4, 1964 - January 27, 1973 Eleventh Hour, Eleventh Day, Eleventh Month 1987 The Constitution Bicentennial "Lest We Forget" — Map (db m18225) WM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morris Township — Washington’s Route from Princeton to Morristown
By this route, Washington, with his army, retired to Morristown after his victory at Princeton, January 1777. Erected by the D.A.R. — Map (db m32996) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — 1849 Carriage HouseBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
An inventory of Stephen Vail’s property showed that he owned two carriages, two sleighs, two wagons and two buggies. This simple, one story building was used as extra storage for the Vail family’s vehicles. Its double sliding doors face the main drive that connects the working part of the estate with the main house. When Vail improved the property in the 1840’s he had the overhead flume that brought water to the Factory Wheel House replaced with an underground pipe. The pipe passes through a . . . — Map (db m32874) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Acorn Hall1853
Victorian Italianate house purchased by Augustus Crane 1857. Home until 1971 of Crane- Hone family who contributed greatly to Morristown civic, cultural and business life. National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic Places Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m36406) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Acorn HallWomen’s Heritage Trail
Acorn Hall was built in 1853 and remodeled in the Italianate Villa style in 1860; the Crane/Hone family lived here from 1857 to 1971. The house and its interiors were preserved through the efforts of the Crane/Hone women. Mary Bolles Crane, Julia Crane Corning, Alice Castleman Hone, and Mary Crane Home (pictured) were all committed to preserving the building. The latter demonstrated her commitment by donating the house and furnishings to the Morris County Historical Society in . . . — Map (db m36428) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Alnwick Hall1904
Built during Morristown’s Gilded Age for General Edward Meany, New Jersey Advocate General, 1893, and a Director of American Telephone and Telegraph Company. Architecture reflects English Medieval Castle influence. — Map (db m42203) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Arnold Tavern
Site of Col. Jacob Arnold's Tavern. It was used as Washington's Headquarters January - May, 1777. Troops were in Lowantica Valley. — Map (db m5949) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Arnold’s TavernWashington’s Headquarters from January 6 to May 28, 1777 — The Morristown Green
On January 6, 1777 General George Washington established his winter headquarters at Jacob Arnold’s Tavern, then located at what is now 20 Park Place. He occupied rooms on the second floor. His officers and men were quartered in every house and barn in the vicinity. A large encampment is believed to have set up tents in Loantaka Valley (between Woodland and Spring Valley Roads). Washington remained here until he left for Middlebrook on May 28, 1777. The Arnold Tavern was moved to a location on Mt. Kemble Avenue in 1886 and burned in 1918. — Map (db m32723) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Campfield HouseCirca 1760
Home of Jabez Campfield, where Alexander Hamilton courted Betsy Schuyler in 1780. Her uncle, Surgeon General of the Continental Army, Dr. John Cochran, quartered here. — Map (db m7360) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Chain of Signal Beacons
Large fires, cannon and flags were used to signal alarms during the Revolutionary War. The fires were called beacons and were used to assemble militia, indicate the approach direction of the enemy and to direct the movements of military forces. In the spring of 1779, a signal chain of log and brush pyramids was ordered built in a line along the highlands of the New Jersey coast. A beacon was to have been constructed at the “point” of this hill – a location that would seem . . . — Map (db m7519) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Church of the Assumption1872
Gothic revival building is oldest standing church in Morristown. Replaced 1848 wooden church which ministered to Irish immigrant families in surrounding Dublin area. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m32678) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Constitution Tree
1787       The National       1987 Arborist Association and The International Society of Arboriculture jointly recognize this significant tree in this Bicentennial year as having lived here at the time of the signing of our Constitution — Map (db m36432) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Continental Army Encampment1779 - - - 1780
Brig. Gen. Henry Knoxin command of the artillery of the Continental Army used the field now covered by these ponds as pasture for the artillery horses. His soldiers lived in log huts erected on the hillside to the west. Nine brigades of the Continental Army were hutted in Jockey Hollow. ---------- General Washington occupied the Ford Mansion on Morris Avenue ---------- The troops were in Morristown from December 1, 1779 to June 23, 1780. — Map (db m8490) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Continental Army Encampments• 1776 – 1782 •
Sansay House in which reception was given Lafayette on his return here July 14, 1825. — Map (db m32672) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Continental Army Encampments· 1776 – 1782 ·
Site of Norris or Dickerson Tavern, in which Benedict Arnold was tried December 23, 1779 – January 26, 1780. — Map (db m42201) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Continental Army Encampments at Morristown1777 1781
Life Guard Camp On this site the Commander in Chief’s Guard was encamped from December 1779 to June 1780. The Guard was reorganized in Morristown during the first encampment in 1777 and again in 1780. Washington made his headquarters in the Ford House opposite. Erected in 1932 by Tempe Wicke Society Children of the American Revolution — Map (db m5665) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Continental Store on the GreenThe Morristown Green
The Continental Store House was located on the southwest side of the Green. It was used to store supplies for the Continental Army during most of the American Revolution. Gunpowder made at the Ford powder mill on the Whippany River was made into cartridges and stored in the Store House. It was also the site of at least two dancing assemblies, and the site of O’Hara’s Tavern. — Map (db m32725) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Court House and Jail
1770 - 1827 Here stood the Court House and Jail at the time of the American Revolution Marked 1904 by the Morristown Chapter D.A.R. — Map (db m5679) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Dr. Lewis Condict House1797
Dr. Condict, outstanding public servant, was first president of the Morris County Medical Society, congressman, and first president of the Morris and Essex Railroad. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m42208) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Fires of Freedom
This bench is dedicated to the countless patriotic American women who have kept alive the Fires of Freedom from Revolutionary times to the present day. Proudly they served. Proudly we remember. — Map (db m42220) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Ford CottageBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
The Ford Cottage was built in the early 18th century by Gabriel Ford Jr., the grandson of Col. Jacob Ford Sr., Ironmaster, tavern owner and one of Morristown’s wealthiest citizens. Jacob Ford, Jr., was the builder of the mansion used by Washington’s as his headquarters during the winter of 1779-1780. The Ford Mansion is now the centerpiece of Morristown National Historical Park. Gabriel Ford, Jr. served in the army and was stationed in Morristown at the time of the winter encampment. After the . . . — Map (db m32887) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Ford Family Memorial
Colonel Jacob Ford, Sr. Prominent land-holder and iron manufacturer Member of New Jersey House of Assembly Judge of Morris County Court Ardent promoter of American cause in Revolutionary War Born April 13, 1704 Died January 19, 1777 Colonel Jacob Ford, Jr. Pioneer in Colonial Iron Works and Powder Manufacturing Commander of Eastern Battalion, New Jersey Militia 1776-77 Buried with military honors, General Washington in attendance at the funeral Born February 19, . . . — Map (db m7553) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Fort Nonsense
This stone marks the site of Fort Nonsense an earthwork built by the Continental Army in the winter of 1779-80 — Map (db m7367) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Fort Nonsense
To protect his army and supplies from a British attack, General George Washington ordered the construction of a small fortification on the hill overlooking Morristown during the Spring of 1777. This became known as the “upper redoubt” and included a “guardhouse sufficient to contain 30 men…” As it turned out, the British never came and the fortification was never called on to defend the town. The name “Fort Nonsense” first appeared after the war. It was . . . — Map (db m7469) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Fosterfields – 1854
Neo-gothic house built by General Joseph Revere, grandson of Paul Revere. Purchased 1881 by Charles Foster, whose daughter, Caroline, donated the property as living farm to Morris County Park Commission in 1973. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m42209) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Fosterfields Living Historical FarmWomen’s Heritage Trail
Fosterfields Living Historical Farm, a working farm run by the Morris County Park Commission, is open to the public for self-guided tours April through October. The former owner of the farm, Caroline Foster, gave the property to the Park Commission upon her death. Miss Foster was born in Brooklyn, New York, in 1877, but lived at Fosterfields for about 98 of her 102 years. Fosterfields is one of the earliest “estate farms” in Morristown and was known for its breeding of Jersey cows. . . . — Map (db m42218) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — George Washington School
On this site stood the George Washington School that proudly served to educate the youth of Morristown, c. 1927 to 1980. — Map (db m66745) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Historic Site
During the American Revolution, a gunpowder mill on this site provided this critical commodity to General Washington’s troops. It was one of only three sources of gunpowder available to them during this time. — Map (db m42211) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Homestead Carriage HouseBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
When not managing the Ironworks, Stephen Vail was often traveling in search of business. The Homestead Carriage House was his center for transportation. The main floor was used to store carriages for the summer and sleighs for the winter. Horses were stabled on the lower level with a door facing the farmyard. When the building was built in the 1840’s a stone marked 1808, probably from an earlier structure, was included in the foundation. When the building was converted into a garage, more . . . — Map (db m32876) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Iraq War Memorial3rd Battalion 112th Field Artillery
For the brave men of the 3rd Battalion 112th Field Artillery who made the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq. June 2004 SSG Francis Carvill SPC Christopher M. Duffy SSG Humberto F. Timoteo SGT Ryan E. Doltz "Gone but not forgotten" — Map (db m36857) WM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Iron
At Morristown, Washington was close to the northern New Jersey iron furnaces of Hibernia, Pompton, Mount Hope and Ringwood. Cannon balls and shells from these furnaces were on frequent order for the Continental Army during much of the Revolution. Firebacks, kitchen implements and iron bars or "pigs" were also produced at these casting works. During the war, two great chains of large iron links were placed across the Hudson River as an obstruction to British warships. The first was made at . . . — Map (db m7513) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Jewish Community Center1929
First Jewish place of worship in Morristown incorporated 1899. Present center, housing synagogue, chapel, Hebrew school and related organizations built by descendants of original congregation. — Map (db m32673) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — L’Hommedieu HouseBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
The L’Hommedieu House is an excellent example of late 18th/early 19th century domestic architecture. This stylish town house originally stood on Spring Street in Morristown on a lot first owned by Nathaniel L’Hommedieu and later sold to John Gwinnup in 1775. Although the exact age of the present structure is not known, the center hallway and staircase clearly date to a remodeling done in the early 1800’s. The house has four rooms on each floor and a basement with a large fireplace for cooking. . . . — Map (db m32911) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Macculloch Hall
George Perot Macculloch promoter of Morris Canal, built this house in 1810. He operated a private school here until 1825. — Map (db m9017) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morris County Civil War Monument1871
(Front):Erected by the people of Morris County, to perpetuate the memory of her soldiers and sailors, who fell during the great Civil War. (Back of Monument):In honor of our heroic dead, who fell martyrs for Union and Liberty. (Right Side):A grateful County mourns the loss of those who fell in her defence. (Left Side):Their memory shall never fade, who fall in a just cause. — Map (db m32687) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morris County Court House1827
One of the finest examples of public buildings in the Federal style in New Jersey. Original Court House on the Green built in 1755. Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m9689) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morristown
Morristown was a village of about 70 buildings in 1777. General George Washington, Commander in Chief of the Continental Army, brought his tired troops to Morristown for rest and reorganization in January 1777. They had just completed successful attacks against the Hessian and British troops at Trenton and Princeton. The new year brought an end to many enlistments and Washington’s regular army dwindled in size to a few thousand men. He warned the Continental Congress “to the . . . — Map (db m7471) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morristown Military Memorial
For God and Country Lest we forget Marines * Army              Navy * Air Force This monument is dedicated to the men and women of the greater Morristown area who have honorably served and fought for our country from the American Revolution to Desert Storm. It is only fitting and proper that Morristown, “The Military Capital of the Colonies,” should be the first to have a monument listing all the military actions of the United States of America to document the human sacrifices made . . . — Map (db m42275) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morristown National Historical ParkNational Park Service — U.S. Department of the Interior
The situation of the army with respect to supplies is beyond description alarming. General George Washington To the Governors of Five States Headquarters, Morristown, December 16, 1779 Welcome to Morristown National Historical Park. Please begin your exploration by taking the path to the right to the Washington’s Headquarters Museum. In the museum you will learn about Morristown, New Jersey’s crucial role during the American Revolution; you will begin your tour of the Ford . . . — Map (db m33289) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morristown Postal Service
Postal service was inaugurated in Morristown in 1782 and has continued uninterrupted to this date. The Morris Street building dates from 1916. National Register of Historic Places State Register of Historic Places Morris County Historical Society March, 1984 — Map (db m66748) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morristown Spanish American War Memorial
In honor and memory of those who served in the Spanish American War 1898   ---   1902 ( Rear of Monument : ) Those who died in service James E. Babcock George W. Cook Frank A. Holloway John A. Kay Patrick Moore — Map (db m66746) WM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Morristown World War I Memorial
In books are sealed what history has penned: What statesmen planned, what captains turned the tide, the humblest heart to Liberty, a friend here shares the faith for which her soldiers died.                                                   - Edgar Lee Masters Erected by the people of Morristown, November 11, 1928                                                Joseph Nicolosi – Sculptor [ Back of Monument ] Dulce et Decorum Est Pro Patria Mori Raymond A. Barris • Charles S. Dean • . . . — Map (db m32793) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Moses Estey HouseBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
Captain Moses Estey, a veteran of the American Revolution, moved to Morristown in 1783. A successful merchant and manufacturer, he purchased a home on a knoll overlooking the Whippany River at the corner of Water and Spring Streets. When the house was destroyed by fire in 1786, Estey replaced it with a grand Georgian style house that occupied the site until it was moved to Historic Speedwell in 1969. A fine example of 18th century American architecture, the Moses Estey House rivaled the Ford . . . — Map (db m32906) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Mt. Kemble Home
Non-sectarian home for deserving elderly women founded by women members of Morristown Presbyterian Church. In continuous service since 1883. Known as “Old Ladies Home” until present name adopted 1950. Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m33834) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Powder Mill1776
New Jersey’s Revolutionary War powder mill, built near this site by Jacob Ford, Jr. in 1776, supplied critically needed gun powder to the Continental Troops. — Map (db m42210) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Saint Peter’s Church
The churches of Medieval England inspired the design of this gothic revival edifice by architects McKim, Mead, and White. Built 1887 – 1911, it replaced an 1828 structure. Features include English stained glass, a 49-bell carillon, a rood screen of Spanish design, a skinner organ, and a Tiffany window. — Map (db m32676) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Sansay HouseCirca 1807
Monsieur Louis Sansay, French dancing school here. House was site of ball honoring Lafayette in 1825. Later home of General Joseph Revere. National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic Places Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m32669) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Survey by Major Erskine of MorristownBy Order of General Washington   1779 — The Morristown Green
Court St. is now Park Place Bridge Street is now Speedwell Ave. Basking Ridge Road is now Bank St. Jockey Hollow Road is now Washington St. — Map (db m32735) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Alarm Beacon
The alarm beacon was a huge pyramid-shaped structure of logs and brush usually placed on a prominent hilltop. In case of enemy invasion or other emergency situations, it was to be set on fire to notify militiamen to go to preselected meeting places and prepare for response to the alarm. Instructions for building alarm beacons in New Jersey during 1779 required that they should be “…made of Logs intermixed with Brush square at Bottom about sixteen feet & to Diminish as they rise like a . . . — Map (db m7517) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Alexander Carmichael House“To Catch a Spy” — The Morristown Green
The Alexander Carmichael House located on the corner of South Street and the Green at what is now 42 Park Place, was occupied by General Nathaniel Greene. Colonel Alexander Hamilton met there with a suspected spy. He had prepared an exaggerated Table of Strength of the Army to fool the British. Excusing himself for an errand, he left the document in the office. When he came back the Table of Strength was gone, as was the man, now confirmed as being a double agent. — Map (db m32726) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Baptist Church on the GreenRevolutionary War Hospital & Burial Ground — The Morristown Green
The Baptist Church on the Green was dedicated in 1771. Its first pastor, the Rev. Reune Runyon was said to have been “an ardent patriot, brave and true”. Like the Presbyterian Church, this building was used as an army hospital in 1777-1778 and many soldiers were buried in its churchyard. Their remains were removed and are now reinterred at the Evergreen Cemetery. — Map (db m32777) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Cutler Homestead1799
Home of Silas Condict, colonial patriot, and subsequently home of General Joseph Cutler and his son, Augustus, congressman and father of the Free School System. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m42204) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The FactoryBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
Early on a cold day in January 1838, a crowd gathered at Speedwell. Just days before, Alfred Vail and Professor Samuel F.B. Morse moved the equipment for their invention, the electromagnetic telegraph, from a workshop across the street at the Ironworks and installed it in the Factory. On January 11th, one hundred people came to see the demonstrations and the local newspaper announced that “Time and distance are annihilated.” Alfred Vail had seen Professor Morse demonstrate his idea . . . — Map (db m32886) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The French are Coming
General George Washington and Colonel Alexander Hamilton are advised at Morristown by the Marquis de Lafayette that the French are coming to support the American cause. May 10, 1780 — Map (db m7361) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The GranaryBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
In 1830, when Stephen Vail purchased the Homestead Farm, the Granary was among the buildings already on the property. It was used to store corn and cereal grains grown on the farm to feed the livestock. The building was built high off the ground on stone piers to keep out dampness. The clapboard siding was specially designed to allow ventilation. In the front of the building near the door sill, is a cat hole for added rodent protection. In the rear, a shed roof addition was used to store farm . . . — Map (db m32870) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Green - 1715
Site of Morris County's two earliest court houses. The Green, purchased in 1816 from the Presbyterian Church, owned and continuously administered by the trustees of the Morristown Green. — Map (db m5948) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Homestead FarmBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
Speedwell was an agricultural unit as well as an industrial one. Although Stephen Vail was a noted ironmaker, his world was firmly based on a centuries old agrarian lifestyle. The Homestead Farm had to be run with the same care and skill as the ironworks. Carefully managed, the farm provided for most of his family’s needs. Stephen purchased the 45-acre Homestead Farm in 1830 from his son-in-law, Dayton I. Canfield, for $2,600 and added another 34 acres in 1836. Wheat, corn, and oats were grown . . . — Map (db m32855) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Lay of the Land
The Watchung Mountains belong to a chain of ridges running from New Brunswick to West Point. They shielded the army from the British in New York City and helped protect the roads from Philadelphia to New England by way of West Point. Located in a long valley west of the mountains, Morristown became an army supply center. Connecting roads brought in supplies from the surrounding region. Local rivers powered iron forges, grist mills, sawmills, and a gunpowder mill; all providing essential supplies for the army. — Map (db m7497) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Presbyterian Church on the GreenThe Morristown Green
The original wooden church was built in 1738 - 40 on land donated by Benjamin Hathaway and John Lindsley. With two enlargements it appeared as shown (at left) at the time of the American Revolution. It became a hospital for troops in 1777 – 1778. Tradition states George Washington knew the church and received holy communion from its Pastor, the Rev. Timothy Johnes in his orchard behind his parsonage. Its burial ground behind the church contains the graves of many patriots of the Revolution. — Map (db m32778) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Seeing Eye
World famous center for training dogs to lead blind persons. Founded in 1929 by Dorothy Harrison Eustis as first dog guide school an United States. Present headquarters built 1965. — Map (db m36858) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — The Upper Redoubt
No records exist from historical times to tell us exactly what the fortifications here looked like. Archaeological evidence reveals the location of walls and ditches. The stones you see mark the inside of the walls and form an outline of the redoubt. Cannon were also part of the defense. You are invited to walk the outline to better experience the size and shape of the redoubt. — Map (db m7472) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — This Morristown Green
This Morristown Green was given by the trustees of the Presbyterian Church in Morristown to the trustees of the Morristown Green in 1816 to be held in trust. “For the use and enjoyment of the public and to remain as a common forever.” — Map (db m7369) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Thomas Nast
From 1872 to 1902, home of political cartoonist who exposed Tweed ring and created Democrat donkey and Republican elephant. — Map (db m9012) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Thomas Paine1737 – 1809
English by birth French citizen by decree American by adoption Author of The American Crisis Rights of Man The Age of Reason Your presence may remind Congress (and the people) of your past services to this country. George Washington Left side of monument: Washington’s sword would have been wielded in vain had it not been supported by the pen of Paine. History is to ascribe the American Revolution to Thomas Paine. John Adams The citizens of the United States cannot look back upon the . . . — Map (db m8551) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Timothy Mills House1740
Oldest house in Morristown on its original site. Home of a patriot, artisan, government official and Presbyterian Elder. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m42205) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Vail Homestead Farm
Stephen Vail, owner of Speedwell Iron Works, built machinery for S.S. Savannah, first trans-Atlantic steamship, in 1819. His son, Alfred Vail, and Samuel Morse first publicly demonstrated electromagnetic telegraph in 1838.National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic Places Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m32694) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Vail HouseBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
The original structure that became the Vail House was probably built in the 1790’s by Thomas Kinney. Stephen Vail, the proprietor of the nearby Speedwell Ironworks, acquired the property in the 1830’s. In 1844 Stephen extensively renovated what was probably a simple farm house into what he called his Mansion. At Speedwell, the Whippany River cuts a deep ravine that was easily dammed to power an early saw mill, bloomery forge, and slitting mill. A dwelling house was built on the hillside . . . — Map (db m32896) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Washington
Headquarters at Morristown January – May 1777 December 1779 – June 1780 — Map (db m32961) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Washington’s Headquarters
Washington made his winter headquarters at the Arnold Tavern, January 6, 1777, now a part of All Souls Hospital. December, 1779, he established quarters at the Ford Mansion, now maintained as a museum. — Map (db m5946) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Washington’s Headquarters
Washington made his winter headquarters at the Arnold Tavern, January 6, 1777, now a part of All Souls Hospital. December, 1779, he established quarters at the Ford Mansion, now maintained as a museum. — Map (db m33177) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Water Power at SpeedwellPowering the Factory
Originally water for the Factory waterwheel was supplied from the Upper Pond, or reservoir, which was located beyond the housing development behind you. When the wheel was installed, the water from the pond was piped under ground to the standpipe. The elevation where the water entered the pipe was higher than the top of the standpipe. Water rose in the standpipe via gravity to seek its level. “All day with men putting out pipes to face of reservoir on the hill ”           . . . — Map (db m32894) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Wheel HouseBirthplace of the Telegraph — Historic Speedwell
Today, electric power makes it possible to locate factories in convenient places close to transportation. In the early 1800’s, Stephen Vail built his ironworks not in the center of town but in a narrow ravine where the Whippany River could be dammed to provide waterpower. At Speedwell, the mechanical innovations fabricated at the ironworks and the invention of the telegraph helped bridge the gap between the age of waterpower and the world of today. Never one to miss an opportunity, Stephen saw . . . — Map (db m32869) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Morristown — Whippany Farm1891
Georgian mansion built as summer home by George Frelinghuysen during Morristown’s “Golden Era.” His daughter, Matilda, donated property as arboretum to Morris County Park Commission, 1969. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m33180) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mount Freedom — Combs Hollow Historic DistrictNational Register of Historic Places
Combs Hollow, site of the first industrial center of the area, settled by Levi and Eliphalet Lewis ca. 1735. The Lewis Family sold the mills to Moses Combs in 1807 but continued to own property here until 1927. — Map (db m43466) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Mount Freedom — Morris County 9/11 Memorial
September 11, 2001 This memorial is dedicated to every victim of the September 11, 2001 attacks against our country. May we never forget those who lost their lives at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, on United Airlines Flight #93 and #175, and American Airlines Flight #11 and #77. May they be forever remembered along with the police, fire, emergency services personnel and civilian heroes who gave their lives on this tragic day. May the families and loved ones of the . . . — Map (db m43468) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Netcong — Lake Musconetcong
Created in 1846 as the Morris Canal’s Stanhope Reservoir. This lake supplied water that filled the canal and powered local industries. Mules treading an earthen causeway across the lake pulled boats loaded with coal, iron ore, or freight along a channel in the lake bed. National Register of Historic Places • New Jersey Register of Historic Places — Map (db m37927) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Netcong — Morris & Essex Line – Netcong Station
In 1854 the Morris and Essex Railroad Branch of the greater Delaware, Lackawanna and Western Railroad acquired a 6-acre tract between the Morris Turnpike (now Ledgewood Avenue) and the Stanhope-Flanders Road (now Flanders Road) straddling its newly completed rail line, from the Sussex Iron Company. The railroad had completed what was referred to as the Stanhope Station or Stanhope-Netcong Station within this property on the North side of the rail line by 1855. The presence of this railroad . . . — Map (db m37929) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), New Vernon — Frelinghuysen Fields
Farmed for centuries, these fields have remained a cherished Harding vista while much open cropland disappeared. In 1999, Peter H. B. Frelinghuysen conveyed to the Harding Land Trust nearly 100 acres of open fields on both sides of James Street through outright donation, conservation easements and "bargain sales" well below market value. This land will be permanently preserved as open space thanks to the generosity of Mr. Frelinghuysen. The New Jersey Green Acres program, The Morris County . . . — Map (db m18221) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), New Vernon — Great Swamp National Wildlife RefugeWilderness Area
You are about to enter the Wilderness Area of Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge. Designated by Congress in 1968, this area is part of the 100-million-acre National Wilderness Preservation System. It is distinguished in being the first designated Wilderness Area on a national wildlife refuge and the first in the U.S. Department of the Interior. The Wilderness Area exists today because local citizens joined together with government to preserve this natural area for the continued enjoyment . . . — Map (db m19593) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), New Vernon — Harding Township 9-11 Memorial
We honor the memory of John Paul Bocchi James Leslie Crawford Jr. Matthew Carmen Sellitto William Randolf Tieste Harding Township Citizens Who Perished in the World Trade Center September 11, 2001 — Map (db m18220) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), New Vernon — New Vernon Historic District
Crossroads community, first settled 1727. Contains homes representing Colonial, Greek Revival and Victorian architecture. Additional dwellings include former general store, blacksmith home, academy and Presbyterian Church. Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m8880) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), New Vernon — The Silver Brook Gateway
This 15 acre property was purchased by Harding Township and the Harding Land Trust in 2003 in partnership with the Morris County Open Space Preservation Trust and the State of New Jersey Green Acres program. It is a key link in the Silver Brook environmental greenway. Exceptional wetlands and woods flank the brook, providing homes for a rich diversity of flora and fauna. Just across the bridge along James Street, The Harding Land Trust's wetland enhancement project is improving habitat for a . . . — Map (db m18223) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), New Vernon — The Tramp House
This house was built C. 1876 by order of the Morris County Board of Chosen Freeholders to provide temporary refuge for homeless wanderers of the post-civil war depression years. Moved to this site in 1988 by the Harding Township Historical Society, the structure originally stood on land now in the Great Swamp National Wildlife Refuge and formerly the farm of Joseph Hilbert, overseer of the poor for Passaic Township. — Map (db m36855) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Parsippany — Livingston – Benedict HouseCirca 1752
Revolutionary War refuge Home of William Livngston and his family. Livingston was the first elected Governor of New Jersey Morris County Heritage Commission National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic Places [ Lower Plaque: ] The historic character of this property is protected by the New Jersey Historic Trust — Map (db m33489) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pequannock Township — Mandeville Farm Encampment Site
          King Louis XVI’s French Army under the command of General Count de Rochambeau camped here on the Mandeville Farm in August 1781.           The troops were marching from Rhode Island to join General Washington and the Continental Army prior to the crucial Battle of Yorktown in Virginia. Placed by Hester Schuyler Colfax Chapter DAR Yorktown Bicentennial 1981 — Map (db m62868) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pequannock Township — Newark – Pompton Turnpike
In 1757 a public road was surveyed in Pequannock Township. This became part of the main road from King’s Ferry on the Hudson River to Morristown and the Delaware River. On this road passed Washington, Lafayette, Rochambeau, Von Steuben, Wayne and other colonial officers and army units. In the 1920’s as part of the state highway system it became Route 8, then Route 23. When the present Roue 23 was built the Turnpike reverted to the Main Street of the Township. Rochambeau March Committee of . . . — Map (db m62870) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Picatinny Arsenal — 1500 Former Army Rocket Test Area Historic District (1946-1989)
This area served as Picatinny’s rocket engine test facility where functional and performance tests were conducted. The following rockets were tested here: Redstone, Honest John (first U.S. tactical nuclear weapon), Loki, Nike Ajax, Shillelagh, Pershing I and the SAGE (Semi-Automatic Ground Environment). Construction dates for the buildings span the Cold War era when a perceived Soviet military threat influenced objectives and policy in the U.S. In response, one of Picatinny’s primary functions was the development of rockets and missile systems. — Map (db m53087) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Picatinny Arsenal — 600 Ordnance Testing Area Historic District (1928-1948)
This test area was constructed after the 1926 Lake Denmark Naval Powder Depot explosion and several other accidents destroyed the Arsenal’s Cannon Blenders. These facilities were built to withstand shock and blast from indoor testing of military explosives. No similar grouping of explosive testing related structures is known to exist at any other former industrial arsenals. Farther along Green Pond Mountain are a series of isolated test ranges for firing guns, armor-piercing shells and bombs, and anti-personnel weapons. — Map (db m53086) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Picatinny Arsenal — Administration and Research Historic District(circa 1880-1945)
Farley Avenue became the epicenter of Picatinny's research and development program during the 1930's. Building 151, the original Arsenal Headquarters, stood at the nexus of the "power intersection with Parker Rd. This Colonial-Revival Style building is prominently situated near an open area that has functioned as a parade grounds, an airfield, and finally as the Golf Course. To the west are the Colonial Revival Officer's Quarters; to the east are the chemistry facilities. It continues to be a . . . — Map (db m53067) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Picatinny Arsenal — Administration and Research Historic District(circa 1880-1945), Chemistry Row
These structures are associated with the evolution of Picatinny from a Powder Depot to a Production Arsenal. After the 1926 Lake Denmark Naval Powder Depot explosion, Picatinny rededicated itself technologically and architecturally as a Research & Development Facility. As part of this effort, laboratory facilities were constructed along Kibler Road, also known as “Chemistry Row”. Colonial Revival was chosen as the architectural style for this area to be compatible with the original headquarters at Building 151. — Map (db m53085) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Picatinny Arsenal — NARTS Test Area D & E Historic Districts (1946-1989)
The Naval Air Rocket Test Station (NARTS) was grouped into eight (8) test area located along Snake Hill and Lake Denmark Roads. Utilized by both the Navy and a private company, Reaction Motors, Inc., these areas were considered to be the Navy’s premier rocket-engine test facilities. Area D tested the Bell X-1 (XLR-11) rocket engine in which Chuck Yeager broke the sound barrier on October 14, 1947; Area E tested the X-15 (XLR-99) rocket engine and was one of the largest static test stands on the . . . — Map (db m59726) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Picatinny Arsenal — Naval Commander's Home
Built in 1890 for the Commander of the Naval Detachment situated here from 315 acres ceded by the Army. The house is made of blue puddingstone, a quartz conglomerate. Its first occupant was Commander J.B. Coghlan. The flagpole was made to look like the mast of a ship. The Lake Denmark Station was to last 69 years from a powder storage depot to an air rocket test facility. In 1960, the Navy decommissioned its installation. — Map (db m25605) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Picatinny Arsenal — The Cannon Gate
In this vicinity was the original entrance to the 'Picatinny Powder Depot.' In 1885, five years after this post's establishment, Major J.P. Farley, the second Commander (1883-87) had erected these wrought iron gates constructed around Columbiads, coastal defense guns. This portal demarked the main entrance until 1941 and over the years came to be known as 'The Cannon Gate.' The remnants of the fence forming the original boundary of this Federal reservation is 'blue pudding stone,' a quartz . . . — Map (db m25602) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pompton Plains — First Reformed Church
Congregation organized 1736 as Reformed Netherlands Dutch Church. Original church built 1771. Restored in 1937 after fire destroyed all but walls. Notable for Christopher Wren steeple. — Map (db m41904) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pompton Plains — Giles Mandeville House1788
Built by Giles Mandeville for his bride, Sarah Roome. Later served as Pompton Plains' first post office. Since 1953 manse of First Reformed Church — Map (db m41901) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pompton Plains — Martin Berry House
Built by Martin Berry (1693-1784)son of the first family to settle Pompton Plains. Only Pre- Revolutionary building substantially unaltered in Pequannock Township. — Map (db m42054) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pompton Plains — Pompton Plains “Brick Schoolhouse”
School District No. 105.   1885 Trustees H. J. Smith • J. R. Evans • M. Card ( Second Marker : ) This stone plaque marks the site of the Pompton Plains School (1885 – 1985). It was part of the original “Brick Schoolhouse.” — Map (db m62876) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Pompton Plains — Pompton Plains 9/11 Memorial
September 11, 2001 May the spirit and courage of those who perished always remind us of the price of freedom. — Map (db m62877) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Riverdale — Fort
A big house was built here in 1756 to protect the settlers from the anticipated attacks of the French and Indians. — Map (db m62866) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Riverdale — Pompton Mutiny
After five long winters of cold, hunger, and disease, and at a crucial period in the Revolutionary War, the New Jersey Line mutinied Jan. 20, 1781. Two mutineers were shot and the uprising suppressed. — Map (db m62867) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Riverdale — Riverdale War Memorial
Dedicated to veterans of all wars In memory of comrades killed in action World War II Charles W. Barnett• Augustus Christakos • Howard De Graw • Harold Drew • Jack Kirkwood • Arnold Rafkind • Edward J. Searles • John Williams Vietnam John Dalton Dedicated by the Riverdale Memorial VFW Post 10418 — Map (db m62890) WM
New Jersey (Morris County), Riverdale — Riverdale World War I Memorial
Dedicated to the residents of Riverdale, N.J. who gave their services to the cause of humanity in the World War 1917   *   *   1919 Benjamin, Jackson N. • Benjamin, Laverne A. • Brown, Clarence • Brown, Harold D. • Brown, Kenneth F. • Fallon, Herbert • Franco, Frank • Grant, Charles D. • Hatheway, John • Hopper, Melvin A. • Houghton, Norman M. • Hunter, Harold S. • Hutchinson, Arnold C. • Jardine, Francis G. • Kinast, Berthold • Legge, Peter S. • Mathews, Aaron • Mathews, Martin F. • Merritt, . . . — Map (db m62889) WM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Picatinny Arsenal
Established in 1880 as War Department’s first official powder depot. Site of 18th century Mt. Hope Ironworks. Major explosion devastated base 1926. Since 1977 major armament research and development center. — Map (db m51232) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Picatinny Arsenal WW II Memorial
So nigh is grandeur to our dust so near is God to man when duty whispers low – thou must the youth replies – I can Norman E. Abrahams • Paul A. Bakos • Robert J. Beemer • Charles W. Beerhalter • John T. Best • James S. Brady • William J. Brodish • Philip A. Brodziak • Charles M. Chovanec • Thomas L. Ciaraffo • Carl G. Conner, Jr. • Paul L. Curl • Arthur Davenport, Jr. • Philip J. Davino • Melvin Davis • James W. DeBello • Raymond W. Dennie • Thomas N. DiCenzo • Victor Ferrari • . . . — Map (db m51237) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Rockaway Civil War Monument
Rockaway Erected in 1892 by Rockaway Township to commemorate the services of its Soldiers and Sailors in the War of 1861 – 1865 [ Left of Monument: ] Centennial Re-Dedication May 30, 1992 — Map (db m43336) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Rockaway Presbyterian Church
First Meeting House built 1758. During struggle for Independence, church furnished leadership and public forum for patriots. Burying place of General William Winds. Present church built 1832. — Map (db m43327) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Rockaway World War Memorial
Rockaway – Rockaway Township – Denville 1917   -   World War   -   1918 John W. Anderson • Peter Arkie • Alger Bailey • Asa Bailey, Jr. • Lester W. Beam • George W. Beatty • Elry Blanchard • Frederick H. Blanchard • Joseph H. Bodine • John Bocha • Scott M. Bostedo • John R. Brown • Robert W. Brown • Harold R. Bruen • Frederick Budd • Harold Burdette • Wilbur Burdette • George W. Byrnes • William Byrnes • Frank Camardetta • Stephen Chewey • Benjamin Chiappi • Frank S. Chiappi • . . . — Map (db m43381) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway — Stephen Jackson House
Captain Stephen Jackson – member of George Washington’s body- guard. The General stopped here for refreshments 1780. — Map (db m43325) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway Township — Ford – Faesch Manor House - 1768
Manor house built by Jacob Ford, Jr. subsequently home of John Jacob Faesch who directed the iron mining operations which provided the Continental Army with ammunition and ordinance. Morris County Heritage Commission New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places Map (db m43330) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Rockaway Township — Rockaway World War II Memorial
In honor of the men of this community who served in 1941   •   World War II   •   1945 U.S. Navy James Roberts • Eleazer Henderson • Frank Van Dien • Chester Smith • Erwin Smith • Homer Riker U.S. Army John Zoller • James Donaldson • Robert Zeek • Walter Kimble • Wilbur Jenkins • Joseph Jenkins • Richard Bostedo • George Campbell • Clayton Ridner • Frederick Zodler • Joseph Parliman • William Bostedo • Frank Donaldson • Alexander Muntz • Lloyd Henderson • Joseph Babecka • R. Robert . . . — Map (db m43538) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Roxbury — Daniel Cary House - 1771
In 1778, soldiers ill with small pox were brought here to relieve the overcrowding of the Succasunna Presbyterian Church, then used as a hospital. — Map (db m33181) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Roxbury — Morris Canal1824     1924
National Registered Landmark Plane No. 3 East. Just west is Plane No. 2 East. Morris County — Map (db m33275) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Roxbury — The Morris Canal   1824 – 1924Morris Canal Greenway
The Morris Canal was an engineering marvel of its time.   A system of 23 lift locks and 23 inclined planes enabled the canal to overcome more elevation change than any other transportation canal ever built. Large changes in elevation were overcome using the canal’s famous inclined planes which were short, water powered marine railways on which canal boats were pulled up or let down hillsides. The locks operated like water elevators, overcoming smaller changes in elevation. Mules were the . . . — Map (db m33270) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Schooleys Mountain — Washington Township Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of all the veterans of Washington Township who served our country, so that freedom might prevail. — Map (db m22517) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Sterling — Village of Sterling1871
This planned industrial village, constructed when the railroad was built, included small factories, workers housing, stores, churches, and a school. Silk manufacturing drew skilled immigrants here from Europe and the Middle East. — Map (db m20154) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Stirling — Sentinel Elms
Pre-Revolutionary center section of building was home of Cornelius Ludlow, Colonel in Eastern Battalion of Morris County Militia, and later Morris County judge. — Map (db m19590) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Stirling — Signal Beacon #11
During the Revolutionary War, signal beacon #11 was located on Long Hill Road in the vicinity of John Cooper's windmill near this site and served to summon local militia in time of danger and invasion. — Map (db m32988) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Stirling — Tower of Remembranceat The Shrine of Saint Joseph
September 11, 2001 "We Will Remember" — Map (db m19591) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Succasanna — First Presbyterian Church at Suckasunny Plains
Congregation organized 1756. First Meeting House erected about 1760. Used as hospital and arsenal for Continental Army in 1777. Present church built 1853. Burying place of Governor Mahlon Dickerson. — Map (db m33182) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Towaco — Henry Doremus House
Circa 1760 Dutch Stone House where George Washington and Alexander Hamilton stayed June 25-27, 1780, following the Battle of Springfield. French forces under Gen. Rochambeau rested in the orchard August 27, 1781, en route to Yorktown. National Register of Historic Places New Jersey Register of Historic Places Morris County Heritage Commission Map (db m33492) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Towaco — Morris Canal1831-1924
Industrial transportation route extending from Phillipsburg to Jersey City. The canal, an engineering feat of locks and inclined planes, revitalized the iron industry in Morris County. New Jersey Register of Historic Places National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m41900) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), U.S. Army Garrison, Picatinny Arsena — Walton Burial GroundIn Memoriam — Hessian Cemetery
In this cemetery are buried some of the pioneers who settled this portion of Morris County. Also resting here are a handful of Hessian soldiers, who were recruited to labor at what is now known as Picatinny Arsenal, in support of America's quest for victory in the Revolutionary War... — Map (db m52588) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), U.S. Army Garrison, Picatinny Arsenal — Middle Forge
Forge and tools used at Middle Forge located at Picatinny Lake Outlet 1749 to 1880 — Map (db m25604) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Washington Township — Drakestown
This village spanning Mt. Olive and Washington Townships arose after Ebenezer Drake bought 200 acres here in 1759. An early tavern closed by the mid-1800s. By 1837 a school, store, and post office served local farm families. The 1855 Methodist Church became the center of the community. — Map (db m22515) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Whippany — Hanover Veterans Monument
Erected by the people of the Township of Hanover to perpetuate the memory of all those who have faithfully served their country. — Map (db m42215) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Whippany — Our Lady of Mercy Chapel1854
Carpenter Gothic structure was mission parish of Madison and Morristown until 1883. Oldest standing Roman Catholic chapel in Morris County. Home parish of Father Cornelius Clifford. New Jersey Register of Historic Places — Map (db m52522) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Whippany — Settlement of Whippanong
Township of Hanover Historic Sites Committee 1685 – 1976 Settlement of Whippanong Hanover Township 1685 This site represents the center of the first settlement in Morris, Sussex & Warren Counties. The first settlers were attracted by the river, iron ore and the fertile land. — Map (db m42212) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Whippany — The Old Iron WorksCirca - 1710
Site of the first known iron forge in Morris county. Operated by John Ford and John Budd on the bank of the Whippany River. — Map (db m36413) HM
New Jersey (Morris County), Whippany — Whippany
After Battle of Springfield Washington put all the troops under marching orders for the North River and arrived here June 25, 1780. — Map (db m42200) HM
240 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 297 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.