|Oregon (Multnomah County), Cascade Locks — Beacon Rock|
|The prominent monolith across the river was named Beacon Rock by Lewis and Clark, November 2, 1805. It marked the beginning of tidewater for early river explorers who used it for a landmark in their journeys. The Indians say that when the Chinook winds blow softly up the river one can hear the wailings of unhappy, beautiful Wahatpolitan, the Indian maid who climbed the rock and perished with her child, when given to a chief other than the one she loved. — Map (db m34643) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Broughton’s Expedition|
|Captain George Vancouver in a voyage of exploration to the Northwest coast of America ordered by the British Admiralty Office assigned Lieutenant William Robert Broughton, Commander of H.M.S. Chatham, to explore the navigable waters of the Columbia River with boat crews from his ship. This point marks the farthest inland reached by Broughton who camped overnight on an island within sight of this point on October 30, 1792. By appropriate ceremonies he took possession of the territory in the name . . . — Map (db m34495) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Discover Wahkeena Falls|
|Stretching from rainforest to desert, and from sea level to mountains, the Columbia Gorge provides a wide range of habitat for plants and animals. The Wahkeena Creek watershed is only one example of a unique gorge ecosystem.
Wahkeena Falls. This 242 ft falls was once known as Gordon Falls in honor of pioneer hald-owner F.E. Gordon. In 1915, a committee of the Mazamas changed the name of the creek and falls to Wahkeena—the Yakima Indian word for “most beautiful.”
. . . — Map (db m91210) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Marshall N. Dana — 1885-1966 — Conservationist — Journalist — Civic Worker|
|A tireless leader in Columbia River development, park enhancement, preservation of scenic beauty, establishment of Vista House, re-creation of the Lewis and Clark Trail, and countless other good works, he left his mark on the Oregon Country, and we are better for having lived among us.
In grateful recognition to Marshall N. Dana, dedicated by Governor Mark O. Hatfield September 24, 1966. — Map (db m91293) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Samuel C. Lancaster — 1864 – 1941|
| Chief Engineer, Scenic Columbia River Highway, 1913–1915.
Pioneer Builder of hard-surface roads. His genius overcame tremendous obstacles, extending and replacing the early trail through the Columbia River gorge with a highway of poetry and drama so that millions could enjoy God’s spectacular creations. — Map (db m86445) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Simon Benson — 1851 to 1942 — Lumberman and Philanthropist|
|Originator of ocean going log rafts. Sponsor of the Columbia River Highway. Benefactor of Benson Polytechnic School. Donor of the Benson Tract containing Multnomah Falls, Wahkeena Falls and Benson State Park.
Patern and casting by Benson High School. — Map (db m91212) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Vista House — JEWEL on the Crown|
|Classic symbol of the Columbia River Gorge, Vista House beckons travelers to Crown Point to revel in an extravaganza of water, cliff, and sky. Samuel C. Lancaster, design engineer of the Historic Columbia River Highway, envisioned this outcropping as the ideal site for a rest stop and observatory where the Gorge “could be viewed in silent communion with the infinite.”
Portland architect Edgar Lazarus designed Vista House to “recall the ancient and mystic Thor’s . . . — Map (db m86662) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Corbett — Welcome to Multnomah Falls — Our Nation’s Second Highest Year-Round Waterfall — Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area|
|Visited by over two million people a year, Multnomah Falls is the second-highest year-round waterfall in the United States and one of 77 on the Oregon side of the Columbia River Gorge. Multnomah Creek, created by underground springs from Larch Mountain, feeds the falls as it plunges off steep basalt cliffs The water flow varies, but is most spectacular in the winter and spring when at its fullest the falls plummet 543 feet to the upper plunge pool, descend another 69 feet, plus an additional 8 . . . — Map (db m91119) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Portland — Dekum Building|
|German immigrant Frank Dekum amassed a fortune during Portland’s explosive early history with his confectionery business. The massive Dekum Building, completed in 1892 at a cost exceeding $300,000, used exclusively Oregon materials in its construction. The brick masons drank beer instead of coffee on their job, according to one old timer whose duties as a boy had been to haul the large pails of beer up to them.
The architects of the Dekum Building, McCaw and Martin, made an audacious . . . — Map (db m1155) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Portland — The Telegram Building, 1922|
|This property has been placed on the
National Register of Historic Places
by the Untied States Department of the Interior
National Parks Service
and is subject to the provisions of the
Oregon Special Assessment Program
ORS 358.475-.565 — Map (db m56542) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Portland — The Willamette Stone|
|This short trail leads to the Willamette Stone, the surveyor's monument that is the point of origin for all public land surveys in Oregon and Washington. The landmark was established on June 4, 1851 by John B. Preston, Oregon's first Surveyor General.|
With increasing settlement and passage of the Donation Land Claim Act, the Oregon Territory desperately needed to extend the Public Land Survey System of 1785 that divided public lands into square miles parcels of 640 acres. Preston, . . . — Map (db m38400) HM
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Portland — Vanport|
|Within a year of the US entering World War II, more than 160,000 people moved to Portland — a city of only 360,000 — to work in Home Front industries. Industrialist Henry Kaiser's three shipyards employed the most workers. To house his employees and their families, Kaiser persuaded the US Maritime Commission in 1942 to fund the nation's largest public housing project. Within 10 months, Kaiser had built an entire community on 640 acres of low-lying farmland — . . . — Map (db m38410) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Troutdale — Sandy River Bridge|
|On October 30, 1792 off the point in the Columbia River where the Sandy empties its waters, the boat crew from the H.M.S. Chatham (Vancouver's Voyages) were the first white men to sight the snowclad peak which Lt. Wm. R. Broughton named Mt. Hood in honor of Vice Admiral Samuel Lord Hood of the British Navy. He called the stream Barings River. Later in November 1805 Lewis and Clark called it the Quicksand River. Still later by common use it became known as Sandy River. — Map (db m38388) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Willamette National Cemetery — Oregon Korean War Veterans Memorial|
|June 25, 1950 Korea July 27, 1953
Dedicated to the memory of these men and women from Oregon so their sacrifice will never be forgotten
Oh, could our fallen brothers
know the honor they helped bring
to God, and to our country,
to their memory now we sing.
You gave your lives for Freedom,
for your families, and for friends,
and for that you have our special love
and a thanks that never ends.
If God . . . — Map (db m11979) HM|
|Oregon (Multnomah County), Willamette National Cemetery — Willamette National Cemetery Carillon Bells|
These Carillon Bells
in honor and loving memory of
were donated by the Oregon State
Federation of Garden Clubs, Inc.
June [The Oregon Federation of Garden Clubs Logo] 1989
In honor of
whose dedication and untiring
endeavors resulted in these
Carillon Bells and beautification
of Willamette National Cemetery — Map (db m11973) HM|