Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

New York County New York Historical Markers

478 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers are listed. Next 228
 
Panaroma (sic) of Brooklyn South of the Brooklyn Bridge Marker image, Click for more information
By Barry Swackhamer, May 20, 2012
Panaroma (sic) of Brooklyn South of the Brooklyn Bridge Marker
New York (New York County), Brooklyn — Panaroma (sic) of Brooklyn South of the Brooklyn BridgeCrossing the Bridge — United States Navy Yard
People looking south towards Brooklyn from bridge in 1883 were treated to a spectacular view. 135 feet below them dozens of ferries, looking like toy boats, crisscrossed the East River, taking passengers to and from Manhattan. Along the busy . . . — Map (db m62888) HM
New York (New York County), Brooklyn — The Builders of the Bridge
Dedicated to the memory of Emily Warren Roebling 1843-1903 whose faith and courage helped her stricken husband Col. Washington A. Roebling, C.E. 1837-1926 complete the construction of this bridge from the plans of his father John A. Roebling, C.E. . . . — Map (db m57229) HM
New York (New York County), Chinatown, New York City — Americans of Chinese Ancestry
[Panel 1]: In memory of the Americans of Chinese ancestry who lost their lives in defense of freedom and democracy. [Chinese characters and insignia of the American Legion.] [Panel 2]: Dedicated by the Lt. Benj. . . . — Map (db m28168) HM
New York (New York County), Chinatown, New York City — Lin Ze Xu1785 -1850
Pioneer in the war against drugs. [Marker includes an inscription in Chinese characters.] Map (db m20141) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Across the Harbor: Remembering September 11th
On September 11, 2001 two hijacked planes were flown into the two towers of the World Trade Center. As the towers collapsed, nearly 3,000 people were killed. Today, this site – less than a mile from where the towers once stood – serves . . . — Map (db m47036) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Andes Road
Named in memory of 2nd Lieutenant James C. Andes, D.S.C. H Co., 16th Infantry Killed in action in France July 19, 1918 — Map (db m47163) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Castle WilliamsChanging with the Times
[ Side 1 ] A Place Worth ProtectingThe same waterways that connected New York City to the world made it vulnerable to naval attack. During the Revolutionary War, a British maritime force captured New York. In the early days of . . . — Map (db m47020) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Castle WilliamsChanging with the Times
Welcome to Castle Williams. This stone fort was built in 1811 to defend New York City against naval assault. The attack never came. Over the next two hundred years, the once state-of-the-art fort was re-used: as housing for army recruits, as a . . . — Map (db m47039) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Clayton Road
Named in memory of Colonel Bertram T. Clayton Headquarters, 1st Division Killed in action in France May 30, 1918 — Map (db m47098) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Colonels’ RowGovernors Island
Once known as Brick Row or Regimental Row and now as Colonels’ Row, the group of eight brick houses in front of you was built by the Army between 1893 and 1917. Although all were built to standard Army plans, slight variations over the years have . . . — Map (db m47094) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Comfort Road
Named in memory of Captain Willis E. Comfort, D.S.C. F Co. 16th Infantry Killed in action in France July 18, 1918 — Map (db m47059) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Commanding Officer’s QuartersGovernors Island
This imposing residence is the Commanding Officer’s Quarters, also known as the Admiral’s House (after the most recent Coast Guard residents.) Built in the Greek revival style, it was completed in 1843. The house was designed by prominent New York . . . — Map (db m47123) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Division Road
Named in honor of the 1st Division, U.S. Army Mexican War * Spanish American War Philippine Insurrection World War I * World War II Occupation of Germany — Map (db m47065) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Evans Road
Named in memory of 2d Lieutenant Ewin V. Evans, D.S.C. F Co. 16th Infantry Killed in action in France July 20, 1918 — Map (db m47200) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Flight on Governors IslandGovernors Island
The new Governors Island landfill was only just complete – a largely empty dust blown expanse of over 100 acres – when it gained fame for its role in the budding aviation industry. In 1909, the Hudson-Fulton Celebration took place to . . . — Map (db m69794) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Fort Jay
This important example of military architecture is a dramatic reminder of the early defenses erected in New York Harbor to protect the City from invasion by sea. Like so many other early fortifications in this country, its star-shaped plan was . . . — Map (db m47014) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Governors Island
. . . — Map (db m47009) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Governors Island
Called by the Indians “Pagganck,” was purchased from two members of the Indian tribe of Manahatas named Carapetayne and Pehiwas by Wouter Van Twiller, a Governor and Director General of New Nether- land – June 16, 1637; The price . . . — Map (db m47023) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Governors Island History in BriefGovernors Island
Governors Island boasts a long military history and has played an important role in every major American military engagement since the Revolutionary War, including the War of 1812, the Civil War, World War I, World War II and the Gulf War. First . . . — Map (db m47165) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Governors Island Medical BuildingsGovernors Island
This Greek revival style building was constructed in 1839 to serve as a post hospital. In its earliest configuration, the hospital consisted of two wards on the first floor and three smaller wards on the second. The basement contained offices, a . . . — Map (db m47193) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Group Effort
Before airplanes and missiles, the United States defended itself with fortifications along its coast and harbors. In this harbor a system of forts stood ready to protect New York; nearly a dozen were built before the War of 1812. Cannons in the . . . — Map (db m47035) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — John Peter Zenger
The renowned champion of the freedom of the press spent his first days in America on Governors Island. As a 13 year old boy he arrived in New York in 1710 with thousands of refugees from the Palatinate, who were quartered for a time on this island. . . . — Map (db m47029) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Kimmel Road
Named in memory of Captain Harry L. Kimmel, D.S.C. 1st Battalion, 16th Infantry Killed in action in France October 18, 1916 — Map (db m47056) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Liggett HallGovernors Island
In 1902, Secretary of War Elihu Root asked the Prominent New York architectural firm of McKim, Meade & White to create a grand master plan for a new Army base on Governors Island. Part of Root’s vision was the expansion of the Island using . . . — Map (db m47090) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Maj. General Hanson E. Ely Retirement1931
To Maj. General Hanson E. Ely, upon the eve of his retirement. This tablet is dedicated with esteem and affection by the officers and enlisted men of the sixteenth United States Infantry. The precedent for duty well performed established by these, . . . — Map (db m47030) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — McKim, Meade & White, Architects of Governors IslandGovernors Island
The design and layout of Governors Island National Historic District owes much of its development to changing times and roles. From early Dutch settlement to its incarnations as a military base to the US Army and the Coast Guard, Governors Island . . . — Map (db m47183) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Middens and Reefs
Oyster Middens, or piles of discarded shells, once littered the landscape of Manhattan and its neighboring shores, a testament to the astonishing abundance of the indigenous European Oyster, Crassostrea virginica. Archaeologists have . . . — Map (db m47226) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Nolan Park
in honor of Dennis E. Nolan Major General Commander of The United States First Army Governors Island, 1933-1936 Dedicated August 10, 1956 Map (db m47064) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Omaha Dock
This dock is named in honor of the First United States Army soldiers who landed in Normandy during the invasion of France in World War II Dedicated by First United States Army 6 June 1964 — Map (db m47054) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Oysters in the Harbor: A History
Oyster reefs were once a key feature of the New York / New Jersey Harbor Estuary’s ecosystem. Oysters helped to feed New Amsterdam residents, particularly in winter when other foods were scarce. Oysters in fact remained the most common local street . . . — Map (db m47224) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Pershing Hall
In honor of John J. Pershing General of the Armies First Commander of the United States First Army August 10, 1918 — Map (db m47047) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Pershing HallGovernors Island
Constructed in 1934, Pershing Hall functioned continually as an Army and Coast Guard headquarters building until 1996. It was named in honor of John E. Pershing, General of the Armies and First Commander of the First Army in 1918. Pershing led all . . . — Map (db m47195) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Polo on Governors IslandGovernors Island
One of the most popular pastimes for officers stationed on Governors Island was polo. It provided officers stationed here a unique recreational opportunity and provided a way to hone their riding skills. Polo was first introduced to the United . . . — Map (db m47186) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Reagan-Gorbachev Meeting 1988Quarters 403
Chairman Gorbachev made his final preparations here before participating in the historic luncheon at Quarters 1 with President Reagan and Vice President Bush on 7 December 1988. During that time, he also composed his first communique to the U.S.S.R. . . . — Map (db m21156) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Slate Roofs on Colonels Row
Above your head is nearly three million square feet of historic roofs. More than sixty percent of these roofs are covered in historic slate. In 2008, the Governors Island Preservation and Education Corporation (GIPEC) undertook the repair of these . . . — Map (db m47205) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Soissons Dock
Commemorating the heroic participation of the 16th U.S. Infantry Regiment from Governors Island in its victorious attack against German forces near Soissons, France July 18, 1918 in which action the regiment suffered 1,734 casualties, more than 57 . . . — Map (db m47010) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — St. Cornelius ChapelGovernors Island
During the first seven decades of American military use of Governors Island, there was no post chapel. In 1844, a Columbia College Episcopal Reverend, John M. McVickar, was commissioned post chaplain. His tireless efforts, combined with the . . . — Map (db m47160) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Students and Soldiers of Freedom
In keeping with the American tradition that men will defend freedom with both ideas and arms, this plaque is presented to Fort Jay by the Association of the Alumni of Columbia College to memorialize the fact that in 1794 students and faculty of . . . — Map (db m47019) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Block House (Governors Island)
The design of this classic and austere Greek Revival building of the early 1840s is attributed to architect Martin E. Thompson. It is called the "Block House" because it was used for a time as a military prison. This stone-trimmed brick structure . . . — Map (db m21154) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Buttermilk Channel and Brooklyn WaterfrontGovernors Island
This view looks over the Buttermilk Channel to the Brooklyn waterfront, located only 400 yards away. Many theories surround the naming of this narrow waterway. In years past, the channel was much wider and shallower than it is today – before . . . — Map (db m47109) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Dutch and Governors IslandGovernors Island
The Dutch East India Company commissioned Henry Hudson to identify a northwest passage to the Indies. As a part of that effort, Hudson entered New York Bay on September 11, 1609 in his vessel The Half Moon and sailed up the river that now bears his . . . — Map (db m47130) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Early Birds
Early aviation history was made here when these pioneers flew powered aircraft to and from this site between 1909—1916. Wilbur Wright • Lincoln Beachy • Glenn H. Curtiss • Eugene Ely • Charles K. Hamilton • Hugh A. Robinson • Harry . . . — Map (db m20975) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Fort Jay TheaterGovernors Island
On Governors Island, a boat ride away from the activities of New York City, entertainment could be hard to come by. Nevertheless, performances were a part of life on the Island for many years. Early performances took place in an old YMCA building . . . — Map (db m47189) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Governor’s HouseDesignated Landmark New York City
Erected as a home for the British Colonial governors in pre-Revolutionary New York, this Georgian style residence is one of the very few 18th-century mansions to have survived in the City. It is thought to have been built for Lord Cornbury in 1708 . . . — Map (db m47034) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Governor’s HouseGovernors Island
The Governor’s House was constructed in 1813 as a guardhouse for the Island. Its location on a bluff overlooking Buttermilk Channel and the primary Island dock was ideally suited for this purpose. By 1824, it was used as the residence for the . . . — Map (db m47126) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Governors House
Believed to have been erected before 1708 Was used for many years as the home of the Provincial Governors of New York On this island was organized on December 25, 1757 the Loyal American Regiment 60th Foot commanded by Lord Jeffrey Amherst This . . . — Map (db m47032) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The New York ArsenalGovernors Island
In 1832, the US War Department moved the New York Arsenal to Governors Island. The arsenal was part of the Ordnance Department of the Army and was considered its own Army post, functioning separately from Fort Jay. The New York Arsenal did not . . . — Map (db m47199) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The Pershing Oak
To honor the memory of General of the Armies John J. Pershing First Commander of the United States First Army this tree was planted on the one hundredth anniversary of his birth 13 September 1960 — Map (db m47049) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The South Battery1790             1826
Erected during the War of 1812 to guard Buttermilk Channel. Used as a barracks for the fife and drum corps of the garrison from 1836 until the first officers’ mess was established here June 20, 1879. Reorganized as the Officers’ Club February 3, . . . — Map (db m47022) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — The South BatteryGovernors Island
The South Battery, or Half-Moon Battery, was erected prior to the War of 1812, in concert with the construction of Castle Williams. A battery is a fortification equipped with artillery. This arrow-shaped fortification was built into the hillside . . . — Map (db m47104) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Tower Carillon Chimes
In memory of The Armed Forces of 1st Army who gave their lives for peace 1941 – 1945 — Map (db m47228) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — West
“The Lighthouse Act of 1790 was sponsored by Alexander Hamilton and signed by George Washington at a time when the Federal Government capital was New York City. On the New York and New Jersey coastlines stand many historical lighthouses, . . . — Map (db m47043) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Wheeler Avenue
Named in memory of 1st Lieutenant David E. Wheeler Medical Detachment, 16th Infantry Killed in action in France July 18, 1918 — Map (db m47121) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island — Yankee Pier
Yankee Pier is one of six docks and piers on Governors Island. It was built to hold large Coast Guard cutters. Cutters are vessels that are at least 65 feet long and can accommodate a crew living on board. The Y shape of the pier made it easier . . . — Map (db m47202) HM
New York (New York County), Governors Island, NYC — Meuse-Argonne Point
In honor of the soldiers of the United States First Army who served in the Meuse-Argonne Campaign of World War I September 26 - November 11, 1918
Dedicated August 11, 1958 Map (db m85035) HM WM
New York (New York County), Harlem — 369th Infantry Regiment Memorial — “Harlem Hellfighters” Monument
This monument honors the legendary 369th Infantry Regiment known as the Harlem Hellfighters. The black granite obelisk is a replica of a 1997 memorial that stands in Sechault in Northern France, where the 369th soldiers distinguished themselves in . . . — Map (db m18993) HM
New York (New York County), Harlem — Savoy Ballroom
SAVOY Here once stood the legendary Savoy Ballroom a hothouse for the development of jazz in the Swing Era. Visually dazzling and spacious, the Savoy nightly featured the finest jazz bands in the nation, and its house bands included such . . . — Map (db m29224) HM
New York (New York County), Liberty Island — The New Colossus
Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame, with conquering limbs astride from land to land; here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand a mighty woman with a torch, whose flame is the imprisoned lightning, and her name Mother of Exiles. From her . . . — Map (db m3943) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — 31 Harrison Street
This Federal period house stands on land which was originally a part of the well-known farm of Annetje Jans, granted to her by Director General Van Twiller in 1636. After 1765, the Harrison Brewery occupied the land, hence the name Harrison Street. . . . — Map (db m50721) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — American Stock Exchange
on June 27, 1921 the Curbstone Brothers moved from their outdoor market on Broad Street to establish on this site the Indoor Securities Market that became the American Stock Exchange. 1921 • Golden Anniversary • 1971 — Map (db m43161) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Antonin Dvořák plaque and statue
Gift of the New York Philharmonic and the Dvořák American Heritage Association to the City of New York 1997. This bronze statue by Ivan Mestrovic (1883-1962) was commissioned by the Czechoslovak National Council of America and presented to . . . — Map (db m35944) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Commerce Street
Originally designated Cherry Lane because of the abundance of cherry trees in the vicinity. In 1822, during a plague in Lower Manhattan an exodus resulted. The street developed a thriving commercial character and was thereby renamed Commerce Street — Map (db m42499) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Flatiron Building
This early skyscraper, originally named the Fuller Building, was completed in 1902 from plans of D.B. Burnham & Company. Its triangular shape caused it to become generally known as the Flatiron Building. This was one of the early buildings to employ . . . — Map (db m37703) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — General Grant Memorial
General Grant Memorial, popularly known as “Grant’s Tomb,” is the largest mausoleum in America. Its monumental size reflects the public admiration for Ulysses S. Grant --- Union general during the Civil War, and 18th President of the . . . — Map (db m3899) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — House of Leonard Lispenard
Opposite this tablet in Hudson Street stood the house of Leonard Lispenard In which General George Washington was entertained June 25, 1775 while en route from Philadelphia to Cambridge to Assume Command of the Continental Army. — Map (db m50722) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — New York Daily News BuildingLandmarks of New York
Completed in 1930 from designs of John Mead Howells and Raymond Hood, this structure was cited in 1957 by the Municipal Art Society and the Society of Architectural Historians "For originality in design and influence on later work." — Map (db m38017) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — New York Marble CemeteryIncorporated 1831
Enclosed within this block is the oldest public non-sectarian cemetery in the city. Descendants of the 19th century owners may still be buried here. The 156 solid marble vaults were built completely underground as a health precaution. Though no . . . — Map (db m39518) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Papal Visits to New York CityPope Paul VI * Pope John Paul II * Pope Benedict XVI — Saint Patrick's Cathedral
Panel 1: His Holiness, Pope Paul VI on his arrival for the first Papal visit to America came to this Cathedral to adore the Blessed Sacrament 4 October 1965 Panel 2: His Holiness Pope John Paul II making the . . . — Map (db m59461) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Park Avenue Christian ChurchLandmarks of New York
This church, designed by Cram, Goodhue and Ferguson in a Gothic style inspired by the Saints Chapelle in Paris, was opened in 1911 as the South Reformed Church. Purchased by the Presbytery of New York in 1914. It remained a Presbyterian house of . . . — Map (db m85659) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Park Dreams, Stuyvesant ParkDiedre Murphy, Cycling — 2000 Olympics
"At the age of six, I started cycling in Stuyvesant Park. I couldn't have ever dreamed where cycling would later take me in life. At the late-for-competition age of 33, I started competing at local races in Central Park, challenging myself to do . . . — Map (db m68557) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Petrus Stuyvesant's Pear Tree
On this corner grew Petrus Stuyvesant's pear tree. ———————— Recalled to Holland in 1664 on his return he brought the pear tree and planted it as his memorial "by which" said he "my name may be . . . — Map (db m39622) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Rhinelander Building
These five Greek Revival columns were retained from the original facade of the 19th century Rhinelander Building, which formerly stood on this site. — Map (db m46672) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Stage Door Canteen
During all the combat days of the war between the United Nations and the Axis Powers, the American Theatre Wing Stage Door Canteen occupied this site. This tablet is dedicated to the men and women of the entertainment world who brought cheer and . . . — Map (db m32390) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Sugar House - Prison Window
This window was originally part of the five story Sugar House built in 1763 at the corner of Duane and Rose Streets and used by the British during the Revolutionary War as a prison for American Patriots. The Sugar House was demolished in 1892 and . . . — Map (db m47173) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — The Amiable Child MonumentRiverside Park
This unique New York City monument marks the site of one of the few private graves on public land within the five boroughs. It belongs to St. Claire Pollock (the namesake of nearby St. Clair Place), a child who died on July 15, 1797 in the fifth . . . — Map (db m32401) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — The West Street Building90 West Street — Designated Landmark, New York City
Completed in 1907, the West Street Building was designed by architect Cass Gilbert as a premier office skyscraper for the shipping and railroad industries. The building combines the classical tripartite configuration of base, shaft and capital, . . . — Map (db m64654) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan — Theodore Roosevelt Birthplace
President Theodore Roosevelt was born here on October 27, 1858, and lived here until he was 15. The house, a typical brownstone of the 1840s, was restored in 1923 and opened as a museum. — Map (db m40150) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan Borough — Peking1911
Peking was launched in 1911 at Hamburg, Germany by the Blohm & Voss shipyard. She was owned by the F. Laeisz Company of that port, who used here to carry fuel and manufactured goods to the West Coast of South America, around Cape Horn, and . . . — Map (db m60185) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan Borough — Wavertree1885
Wavertree was built at Southampton, England in 1885 for R.W. Leyland & Company of Liverpool. She was first employed to carry jute, used in making rope and burlap bags, between eastern India (now Bangladesh) and Scotland. When less than two . . . — Map (db m59992) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan, New York — William Penn Carriage Block and Hitching Post
This carriage block and hitching post originally stood in front of the home of William Penn Letitia Street Philadelphia — Map (db m44251) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan, New York City — Pvt. Moses Miller
In honor and memory of Pvt. Moses Miller who died at sea January 26, 1944 — Map (db m44253) HM
New York (New York County), Manhattan, New York City — The Famous Czech ComposerAntonin Dvorak — 1841 - 1904
Lived in a house on this site from 1892 until 1895 In memory of his 100th birthday and for future generations of free Czechoslovakia, the grateful government in exile caused this inscription to be erected initially on December . . . — Map (db m44256) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 1 Wall Street / 14 Wall StreetExploring Downtown
1 Wall Street On one of the world’s most expensive corners – 1 Wall Street and Broadway – architect Ralph Walker conceived his zig-zag Art Deco skyscraper for the Irving Trust Company as a “curtain wall” – not the . . . — Map (db m19716) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 100 Old Slip - New York City Police Museum
100 Old Slip was designed by the notable architectural firm of Hunt & Hunt in the New-Italian Renaissance style. Its visual power is created by a rhythmic series of tall arches, heavy rusticated walls and restrained ornamentation. The building's . . . — Map (db m21510) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 100 Year-Old Sycamore
This stump is all that remains of a 100 year-old Sycamore that once stood in the northwest corner of St. Paul's churchyard. The tree was toppled on September 11th, 2001, when the collapse of the World Trade Center sent tons of debris hurtling . . . — Map (db m31906) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 13 South William Street
Listed on the National Historic Register, this building was built in 1837-1839. In 1903 architect C.P.H. Gilbert converted it into its current Neo-Dutch Renaissance style. Today the building is home to America's oldest . . . — Map (db m21512) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 175th Anniversary of Greek Independence
55’ Flag Pole donated to the City of New York by the Federation of Hellenic Societies of Greater New York on behalf of the Greek American community, in celebration of the 175th Anniversary of Greek Independence, and the 100th Anniversary of the . . . — Map (db m47317) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 1941 · Honor Roll · 1945Baggage Dept., Pennsylvania Station, N.Y.
In honor of the men from this department who served their country in the Armed Forces of the United States during World War II and in lasting tribute to the ten who gave their lives in the service of their country. Carey, Richard F. • Crowley, . . . — Map (db m6135) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 203 Prince Street
This handsome house is situated on land once owned by Aaron Burr. It was built in 1833-34 by John P. Haff, a prosperous leather inspector. The building is characteristic of many which once were located in this area, a residential section of the City . . . — Map (db m37071) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 207 - 211 Water StreetBuilt 1835–1836
These three brick Greek Revival-style stores, built together for different owners, display classic details of the period: granite steps, cornice, and piers and lintels in its trabeated storefront. The brick is laid up in Flemish bond, a style whose . . . — Map (db m21151) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 23 Park Avenue
This McKim, Mead, and White residence, completed c. 1891, was commissioned by James Hampden Robb (1846-1911), former cotton broker, New York State Assemblyman and Senator (1882-85), and Commissioner of the Parks Department (1887-90). Designed in the . . . — Map (db m42016) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 230 Park AvenueDesignated Landmark New York City
Designed by architects Warren & Wetmore, 230 Park Avenue was built in 1927-29 as the New York Central Building, sitting astride Park Avenue just north of Grand Central Terminal. The building’s honeycombed base and slender tower dominate the street . . . — Map (db m57231) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 26 BroadwayLandmarks of New York
Under construction from 1920 to 1928, the corporate headquarters for John D. Rockefeller’s Standard Oil Company was built on one of the largest parcels assembled in Manhattan at the time. The architectural firm of Carrere & Hastings, along with . . . — Map (db m41180) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 27 Christopher Street
Top Plaque 1911 Constructed as the Margaret and Sarah Switzer Institute for Vocational Training of Women 1926 Purchased by St. Joseph's Parish for elementary school 1977 Site of the School of Nursing of St. Vincent's Hospital and . . . — Map (db m55482) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 33 Liberty Street
This building erected 1922 occupies part of the farm leased prior to 1658 and granted in 1644 by the Dutch West India Company to Jan Jansen Damen. Of the bounding streets Maiden Lane was called the Dutch Maegde Paetje. Nassau Street was named for . . . — Map (db m62708) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 36 Commerce Street
This three-story brick house was built in 1841 for Alexander McLachlan, the owner of a brewery at No. 38 on land originally part of the Hendricks-Gomez property. In the 1920’s, when the brewery became the Cherry Lane Theater, this house was part of . . . — Map (db m57186) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 38 Commerce Street
In 1924 Edna St. Vincent Millay and a group of theatre artists converted a box factory into what would become the Cherry Lane Theatre. Through the years, it has become a showcase for the early works of Edward Albee, Lanford Wilson, Harold Pinter, . . . — Map (db m57184) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 4 Patchin Place / e.e. cummings
4 Patchin Place One-time home of “Poet and Painter” e.e. cummings (d. 1962) and his wife, model and photographer Marion Morehouse (d.1969) “—do lovers love? why then heaven and hell. Whatever sages say and fool, all’s . . . — Map (db m57163) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 40 Wall Street
Built in 1929-30 as the Manhattan Company Building, this pictureseque 927 foot tall skyscraper was planned as the world's tallest building. Crowned by a pyramidal roof and French Gothic spire, it remains an imposing presence on the lower Manhattan . . . — Map (db m54504) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 48 Wall Street / 40 Wall Street Exploring Downtown
< 48 Wall Street Side > Museum of American Finance What more appropriate home for the Museum of American Finance than the grand, 30-foot-high banking hall of the former Bank of New York building? The museum – an affiliate of the . . . — Map (db m24306) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 70 Bedford StreetLandmark New York
About 1807 this house was built by John P. Broome, sailmaker and “crier of the courts of Oyer and Terminer and Gaol delivery and of the general session of the peace.” Although altered over the years, the original brickwork and wood beams . . . — Map (db m57188) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 82 Jane Street
Site of the William Bayard House Where Alexander Hamilton, first Secretary of the Treasury, died after his duel with Aaron Burr July 12, 1804 This historic location holding traditions of the city and the nation, is thus permanently marked by . . . — Map (db m22099) HM
New York (New York County), New York — 97 Orchard Street
Built in 1863-64 by Lucas Glockner, a German-born tailor, 97 Orchard Street is typical of the earliest form of tenement house constructed in New York. For millions of immigrants from scores of nations, this tenement and others like it was a place of . . . — Map (db m16540) HM
New York (New York County), New York — A View From the Road
This path marks the route of the Kingsbridge Road, also known as the Eastern Post Road. This was the main road through Manhattan in the 1700s and early 1800s, before the current street grid was implemented, and was key to transportation in the area. . . . — Map (db m96070) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Abraham Lincoln StatueUnion Square Park
One of three sculptural renditions of Abraham Lincoln (1809-1865) in New York City’s parks, this larger-than-life bronze by Henry Kirke Brown (1814-1886) stands vigil on a busy crossroads at the north end of Union Square Park. Abraham Lincoln was . . . — Map (db m41271) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Adriaen van der Donck’s HomeBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
ADRIAEN VAN DER DONCK’S HOME Location:   Marketfield Street at Broad Street Dutch Name:   Het Marckvelt Steegie In a house that stood a few feet from here lived lawyer Adriaen van der Donck (c. 1620 - c. 1655), author of the . . . — Map (db m24116) HM
New York (New York County), New York — African Burial Ground National MonumentA Place of Remembrance — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
A Place of Remembrance-(left side of the marker) From the 1690s until 1794, an estimated 15,000 enslaved and free Africans were laid to rest in the African Burial Ground. In 1991, during construction of the Ted Weiss Federal Building, 419 human . . . — Map (db m62333) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander Hamilton U.S. Custom House / National Museum of the American IndianExploring Downtown
Before the income tax was invented, the duty levied on imported goods financed almost the entire cost of America’s federal government – and as much as 80 per cent of that duty came through the Port of New York, making the New York Custom House . . . — Map (db m20278) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander Hamilton's HouseThe New Home of the Hamilton-Grange — National Park Service, U.S. Department of the Interior
The New Home of the Hamilton-Grange. Alexander Hamilton’s house, named “The Grange” after his family’s ancestral home in Scotland, was moved from its original site on W. 143rd Street to 287 Convent Avenue in 1889. Studies have been . . . — Map (db m62336) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alexander Lyman Holley
Born in Lakeville, Conn.,   July 20th 1832 Died in Brooklyn, N.Y.,   January 29th 1882 In honor of Alexander Lyman Holley, foremost among those whose genius and energy established in America and improved throughout the world the manufacture of . . . — Map (db m41359) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alfred E. Smith House
Has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark under the provisions of August 21, 1935. This site possesses exceptional value in commemorating or illustrating the history of the United States. — Map (db m31144) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Algonquin Hotel
The Algonquin Hotel, which opened its doors in 1902, is best known as the home of the famed Round Table, a group of writers and critics who met for lunch and stimulating converstation during the 1920s. The hotel's cultural associations, nurtured by . . . — Map (db m7968) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alwyn Court Apartments
This richly ornamented apartment house, built in 1907-1909, is unique in the city. The architects, Harde & Short, took full advantage of the economies of terra cotta, a material then much in vogue. A single mold could be used time and again for . . . — Map (db m14050) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Alwyn Court Apartments
This richly ornamented apartment house, built in 1907-1909, is unique in the city. The architects, Harde & Short, took full advantage of the economies of terra cotta, a material then much in vogue. A single mold could be used time and again for . . . — Map (db m56931) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Merchant Marine
This tablet dedicated to the memory of the men of the American Merchant Marine who gave their lives in the World War that liberty should perpetually endure. “These men rendered one of the greatest services that could have been done for our . . . — Map (db m20289) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Merchant Mariners' Memorial
Dedicated to all merchant mariners who have served America from the Revolutionary War through present day. In the prosecution of war and in pursuit of peaceful commerce, unrecognized thousands have lost their lives at sea. Their sacrifices have . . . — Map (db m29281) HM
New York (New York County), New York — American Redoubt
American Redoubt 1776 Washington Chapter DAR 1910 — Map (db m41568) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Andries Rees’s TavernBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
ANDRIES REES’S TAVERN Location:   William Street and Wall Street Dutch Name:   Smit Straet Here, in 1660, Andries Rees ran a tavern serving his fellow colonists. Taverns were lively centers of social life in the Netherlands, and Dutch . . . — Map (db m24113) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Anne KleinFashion Walk of Fame
The work of Anne Klein epitomized the ease and comfort associated with Post War American sportswear. She was instrumental in the development and popularization of coordinated separates for both day and evening. These separates, such as body suits . . . — Map (db m57051) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Appellate Division of the Supreme CourtDesignated Landmark, New York City
This building houses the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of the State of New York for the First Judicial Department, which hears appeals in civil and criminal cases from New York and Bronx Counties. Designs for the courthouse by James Brown . . . — Map (db m57056) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Asser Levy’s HomeBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
ASSER LEVY’S HOME Location:   Stone Street at Mill Lane Dutch Name:   Hoogh Straet (High Street) In a house on this site lived the Jewish trader and butcher Asser Levy. Possibly born in Lithuania, Levy probably came here from Amsterdam in . . . — Map (db m24119) HM
New York (New York County), New York — BaltoThe Sled Dogs
Dedicated to the indomitable spirit of The Sled Dogs that relayed antitoxins six hundred miles over rough ice across treacherous waters through arctic blizzards from Nenana to the relief of stricken Nome in the winter of 1925. . . . — Map (db m23428) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bank of New York and & Trust Company BuildingDesignated Landmarks of New York
This dignified Neo-Georgian skyscraper was constructed in 1927-29 to the designs of prominent architect Benjamin Wister Morris for the Bank of New York & Trust Company. Much earlier in 1796 The New York Bank & Trust Company was the first bank to . . . — Map (db m54588) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Barrow Street
Named after Thomas Barrow, an artist who in 1807 drew a picture of Trinity Church that received wide circulation as a print. Trinity Church was a large landowner of property in Greenwich Village due to a land grant from Queen Ann[e]. The street was . . . — Map (db m57165) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Battery Wall Discovery
In spring 2006, during the South Ferry excavation in the Battery, four sections of a colonial era wall were identified by archeologists. Although each of the four sections exhibited unique features, they are all likely part of the same wall, . . . — Map (db m20306) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Battle of Harlem Heights
To commemorate the Battle of Harlem Heights, won by Washington’s troops on this site, September 16, 1776. Erected by the Sons of the Revolution in the State of New York. — Map (db m12665) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Battle of Harlem HeightsSeptember 16 – 1776
In grateful remembrance of the brave soldiers of New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Pennsylvania, Maryland and Virginia who under General George Washington fought and died on this site for liberty in their country’s . . . — Map (db m12682) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Beaver’s PathBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
BEAVER’S PATH Location:   Battery Place at Greenwich Street Dutch Name:   Bever Straet Here, on a sandyshore, Lenape Indians beached their canoes to trade beaver and otter pelts for Dutch cloth, kettles, and metal tools. To the Lenape, . . . — Map (db m24093) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bedford Street
Once a dirt country trail designed as an access to Christopher Street. A popular village thoroughfare. Having been mapped prior to 1799, Bedford Street is one of the earliest recorded streets in Greenwich Village. This street is named after Bedford . . . — Map (db m57170) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bela Bartok
The great Hungarian composer Bela Bartok 1881 - 1945 made his home in this house during the last year of his life — Map (db m77400) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bell of Hope
Accompanied by an honor guard of British police guards, the “Bell of Hope” was presented to the people of New York by the Lord Mayor of London and the Archbishop of Canterbury on September 11, 2002. The Bell of Hope was created by . . . — Map (db m43442) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Belvedere Tower
Erected in 1869 as a lookout. It now houses the New York Meteorological Observatory which was founded in 1868 by Dr. Daniel Draper who was its director until his retirement in 1912. At which time the observatory came under the direction of the . . . — Map (db m56954) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Benjamin Franklin1706 – 1790
Printer Patriot Philosopher Statesman Presented by Albert DeGroot to the Press and Printers of the City of New York inveiled January 17, 1872 Ernst Plassman Sculptor Map (db m13746) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bethesda Fountain and Terrace
Designed by Calvert Vaux and Jacob Wrey Mould, these stairways, terrace and fountain were the focal feature of the original plan for Central Park by Vaux and Frederick Law Omsted. The fountain sculpture by Emma Stebbins, inspired by the biblical . . . — Map (db m56938) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Betsey JohnsonFashion Walk of Fame
From the beginning of her career in the 1960s, Betsey Johnson has been known for a youthful, exuberant style – epitomized by her habit of cartwheeling down the runway at the end of her fashion shows. Her colorful, flirtatious clothes often . . . — Map (db m57279) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bill BlassFashion Walk of Fame
Having brought the comfort and simplicity of sportswear into the realm of formal dressing, Blass can rightly be credited as one of the creators of a true “American style.” His blending of classic fabrics, like cashmere and satin, have . . . — Map (db m58310) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace of Eugene O'Neill
Eugene O'Neill October 16, 1888 — November 27, 1953 America's greatest playwright was born on this site then called Barrett House — Map (db m14192) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Birthplace of Lou Gehrig
1903 - 1941 Lou Gehrig known as the "Pride of the Yankees" was born at this location on June 19th, 1903. In his amazing feat of playing 2130 consecutive games, Lou became known as "The Iron Horse" to the baseball world. Dedicated to . . . — Map (db m53786) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Black Horse Inn
In 1783 the Black Horse Inn stood on this site and the Bull's Head Tavern adjoined it. Here General George Washington began his triumphal march into the city upon its evacuation by the British November 25, 1783. The Citizens Savings Bank, organized . . . — Map (db m26880) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bonnie CashinFashion Walk of Fame
Following a career in costume design, Cahin launched her fashion business in the 1950s. Calling her clothing “kinetic art forms for living,” she adapted simple cuts from the history of world clothing to meet the needs of modern women. . . . — Map (db m58165) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bowery Savings Bank
This impressive building, completed in 1895, is located on the site of the first Bowery Savings Bank. Designed by Stanford White of the firm of McKim, Mead & White, it is an excellent example of neo-classical architecture.

The Building was . . . — Map (db m56935) HM

New York (New York County), New York — Bowling Green
The first public park to be established in New York March 12, 1733 “Resolved that the Corporation will Lease a Piece of Land lying at the lower End of Broadway fronting to the Fort to some of the inhabitants of the Said Broadway in Order to . . . — Map (db m13735) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bowling Green / Sports Museum of AmericaExploring Downtown
Bowling Green This little patch of green surrounded by grand Broadway office buildings survives as New York City’s oldest public park – Bowling Green. It served as a cattle pasture and a parade ground before being designated in 1733 as a . . . — Map (db m20258) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bowling Green FenceLandmarks of New York
Erected by the Common Council in 1771, this fence surrounds New York’s earliest park. The park was leased in 1733 for use as a bowling green at a rental of one peppercorn a year. Patriots, who in 1776 destroyed an equestrian statue of George III . . . — Map (db m13728) HM
New York (New York County), New York — British Soldier’s Barracks
The British Army maintained a military presence in New York from 1640 to 1783. During the American Revolution, the British built barracks in this vicinity and used the land now occupied by City Hall Park for military exercises and executions. — Map (db m13737) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Broadway – Maiden Lane
Broadway – Maiden Lane about 1880 --------------- Erected by the Maiden Lane Historical Society 1928 — Map (db m24103) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Broadway-Chambers Building
Designed by renowned architect Cass Gilbert, this vibrant structure, faced with pale pink granite, multi-hued brick,, and colored terra cotta, is a distinctive interpretation of the Beaux-Arts style popularized by the 1893 World's Columbian . . . — Map (db m29317) HM
New York (New York County), New York — BrooklynA 20,000-Mile Religous Exodus by Ship
On February 4, 1846, the ship Brooklyn sailed from Manhattan's Old Slip. Chartered by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the ship carried men, women, and children to California as part of the epic movement of Mormons to the West. By . . . — Map (db m21511) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Brown BuildingDesignated Landmarks of New York
This ten story neo-renaissance loft building, designed by New York architect John Wooley, was built in 1900-01 for Joseph J Asch. The Triangle Shirtwaist Factory occupied the building's top three floors. In 1909, Triangle employees initiated the . . . — Map (db m54907) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Bryant Park TodayFrom a derelict park to an urban oasis
In 1974, the New York Landmarks Preservation Commission designated Bryant Park a Scenic Landmark, call it “...a prime example of a park designed in the French Classical tradition...an urban amenity worthy of our civic pride.: Within five years . . . — Map (db m57104) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Buildings Overlooking Bryant ParkOutstanding New York architecture frames the park
Part of Bryant Park’s urbane charm is that it is surrounded by prime examples of several periods of New York City architecture. At the northern corner of Fifth Avenue and 42nd Street is 500 Fifth Avenue. Shreve, Lamb & Harmon (architects of the . . . — Map (db m57101) HM
New York (New York County), New York — C.F. Martin & Co. Guitars
Established 1833 Christian Frederick Martin (1796-1873) established his first instrument shop on this site in the late Fall of 1833. He emigrated here with his family from the small town of Markneukirchen, Germany to form what would become C.F. . . . — Map (db m23056) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Calvin KleinFashion Walk of Fame
There has never been a more recognizable and controversial name in the realm of American fashion than Calvin Klein. He is the master of the clean and minimal style that dominated global fashion in the late 20th Century, but is also famous for his . . . — Map (db m58293) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Captain James Lawrence & Lieutenant Augustus C. Ludlow
In memory of Captain James Lawrence of the United States Navy, Who fell on the 1st day of June 1813, in the 32nd year of his age, in the action between the frigates Chesapeake and Shannon. He was distinguished on various occasions, but . . . — Map (db m24486) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Cartier BuildingLandmarks of New York
Designed by Robert W. Gibson as the residence of Morton F. Plant, this building was constructed in 1904. Messrs. Cartier acquired it in 1917 and after modification by William Welles Bosworth, it was occupied by the firm of Cartier, founded in Paris . . . — Map (db m14047) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Castle Clinton
This sandstone fort was built in 1811 as one of five forts erected to defend New York Harbor. The fort originally stood on a small island that was linked to Manhattan by a 200-foot wooden causeway and drawbridge. In the 1850s, landfill extended . . . — Map (db m8781) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Castle Clinton National Monument
[Left plaque]: Last of a series of forts which, from the Dutch ssettlement of 1624, guarded lower Manhattan, this structure was built by the United States in the years 1808 to 1811. It was first called "West Battery," and was one of the . . . — Map (db m8779) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Chamber of Commerce / Liberty Tower65 Liberty St, James B. Baker, Architect, 1901 / 55 Liberty St, Henry Ives Cobb, Architect, 1910 — Exploring Lower Manhattan
Chamber of Commerce Even when it opened in 1901, 65 Liberty Street seemed like a tiny jewel among the towering behemoths of the financial district. The ornament-encrusted building served as the new headquarters of the New York State Chamber of . . . — Map (db m47244) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Charles Ives1874-1954
A revolutionary composer, Ives was also a traditional insurance executive. His innovative music builds on American popular and folk tunes, and expands the use of rhythm and tonality. His avant-garde works include Concord, Mass., 1840-1860, . . . — Map (db m55757) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Charles JamesFashion Walk of Fame
This Anglo-American couturier is widely regarded as one of the greatest fashion designers in history. Having begun his career as a milliner in the 1920s, James later incorporated the sculptural techniques of hat making into his dress designs. His . . . — Map (db m58163) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Charles Mary Kubricht (b. 1946)Alive-nesses: Proposal for Adaption, 2011 — Paint on storage containers
Alive-nesses : Proposal for Adaptation is informed by “dazzle” painting, an anti-range finding maritime camouflage technique used by the military between 1914 and 1945. The term “dazzle” was first used by A.H. Thayer in the . . . — Map (db m57061) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Charles Scribner's Sons Building
Designed by the prominent American architect Ernest Flagg (1857-1947), this building was constructed as a store and offices in 1912-13 for Charles Scribner's Sons, one of America's most prestigious publishing houses. Flagg, an exponent of French . . . — Map (db m14048) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Charlie Parker ResidenceDesignated Landmarks of New York City
Built in 1849, the brownstone rowhouse is a rare surviving example of a residential building built in the Gothic Revival style. A style most often used for churches. Notable details include the pointed entranceway with clustered colonettes, the . . . — Map (db m63057) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Chester Alan Arthur
Twenty-first President of the United States of America — Map (db m41355) HM
New York (New York County), New York — City Hall
New York's third city hall, one of its finest architectural treasures, was completed in 1811. Designed by French born J.R. Mangin and New York native John McComb, Jr. the building combines 18th-century French and English stylistic traditions. The . . . — Map (db m63654) HM
New York (New York County), New York — City Hall to U.S.Capitol / Money Men / Nassau Changes Scale
< City Hall to U.S.Capitol > City Hall New York’s second City Hall was completed 1700, using stones salvaged from the just-demolished wall after which Wall Street is named. Abraham De Peyster donated the site to the city, enhancing the . . . — Map (db m24497) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Civic CenterFoley Square — Exploring Downtown
Municipal government long ago spilled out of City Hall to create the surrounding Civic Center. Today, Chambers Street and Foley Square are lined with white granite and marble civic buildings. The sumptuous lobby of the Surrogate’s Court at 31 . . . — Map (db m41188) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Claire McCardellFashion Walk of Fame
One of the most important fashion designers of the 20th Century, Claire McCardell helped create “The American Look.” McCardell pioneered the American style of casual sportswear. Inspired by activewear and menswear, she made practical, . . . — Map (db m58231) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Claremont PlaygroundRiverside Park
      Rich in history, the plain of Claremont Playground has been the site of a Revolutionary War battle, a country estate, a fashionable inn, and a children’s recreation area. This was the scene of fierce combat during the Battle of Harlem . . . — Map (db m53992) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Cleopatra’s NeedleThe Crowned Horus, Bull of Victory
Translation of Hyeroglyphics     The Horus, Strong-Bull-Son-of-Kheprl,     the King of Upper and Lower Egypt, User-maat-ra, Chosen-of-Ra, the Golden Horus, Mighty-in-years-and-great-of-victories, the Son or Ra,     Ramesses, . . . — Map (db m36060) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Colonel William Baxter
In grateful remembrance of the patriot volunteers of the Pennsylvania Flying Camp led by Colonel William Baxter of Bucks County, Pennsylvania who with many of his men fell while defending this height 16 November 1776 and was buried near this . . . — Map (db m41581) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Colonnade RowLandmarks of New York
These four houses constitute the remaining portion of a colonnade of nine, originally named La Grange Terrace after the country seat of the Marquis de Lafayette. When constructed in 1831 by Seth Geer, this was considered the finest row of private . . . — Map (db m41192) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Cooper UnionLandmarks of New York
For the advancement of science and art Peter Cooper, inventor, civic leader, philanthropist, founded this institution offering free education to all. In its great hall, birthplace of many important social and political movements, America’s leading . . . — Map (db m41171) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Cunard BuildingLandmarks of New York
The Cunard Line, which first opened a New York office in 1848, occupied this building on its completion in 1921. Benjamin W. Morris was the architect, and Thomas Hastings served as consultant in the design of the Great Hall, inspired by Roman and . . . — Map (db m41182) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Daniel D. TompkinsA Great American
Son of a revolutionary patriot Born in Fox Meadows (Now Scarsdale) N.Y. June 21, 1774 Died in Tompkinsville, Staten Island N.Y. June 11, 1825 Governor of New York State 1807-1817 — Vice President of the United States 1817-1825 Military . . . — Map (db m41207) HM
New York (New York County), New York — David Glasgow Farragut
[ Inscription on Left Wing ]That the memory of a daring and sagacious commander and gentle great souled man whose life from childhood was given to his country but who served her supremely in the war for the Union MDCCCLXI - MDCCCLXV may be . . . — Map (db m41352) HM
New York (New York County), New York — DC 37 September 11, 2001 Memorial
In memory of the DC37 members who perished on September 11, 2001 at the World Trade Center The Rev Mychal Judge, chaplain, Local 299 Carlos Lillo, paramedic, Local 2507 Ricardo Quinn, EMS Lieutenant, Local 3621 Chet Louie, OTB betting clerk, . . . — Map (db m35192) HM
New York (New York County), New York — DelMonico's Building
This Renaissance Revival style building, designed by the architect James Brown Lord in 1891, is the only surviving structure associated with Delmonico's, the legendary dining establishment. Founded in 1827, it was one of the first restaurants in the . . . — Map (db m21513) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Diane von FurstenbergFashion Walk of Fame
Diane von Furstenberg made fashion history in 1972 when she developed her iconic wrap dress and encouraged her customers to “Feel like a woman. Wear a dress.” By 1976, she has sold 5 million dressed and landed the cover of Newsweek. An . . . — Map (db m58309) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Donald BrooksFashion Walk of Fame
Donald Brooks was one of the most important American designers in the twentieth century. He began his fashion career in the 1950s working for other companies before launching his own line in 1965. His designs, which featured uncluttered silhouettes, . . . — Map (db m58236) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Dr Norman Vincent Peale, D,D,, LL.DMinister from 1932 - 1984
Dr Norman Vincent Peale, D,D,, LL.D Minister from 1932 - 1984 From the pulpit of this venerable church, this man with matchless eloquence and person to person persuasiveness sent forth a message that circled the globe. He taught that positive . . . — Map (db m51299) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Dutch Hoog Straat
This map, derived from a 1600 drawing, shows Stone Street, then the Dutch Hoog Straat. Its original line is indicated by brown paving stones & the lobby alignment. — Map (db m47376) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Dyckman Farmhouse MuseumDyckman House Park — .545 acre
Built by William Dyckman in approximately 1784, this house was once the center of a thriving farm more than 250 acres in size. Dyckman Farmhouse, along with the smokehouse and reconstructed “Hessian Hut,” has been a public museum since . . . — Map (db m41567) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Early Bryant ParkBryant was a leading light in nineteenth century New York
Reservoir Square was renamed Bryant Park in 1884, in honor of New York’s leading citizen, William Cullen Bryant (1794-1878). In the late 1800s, three philanthropic institutions joined to form the New York Public Library; the building site chosen was . . . — Map (db m57100) HM
New York (New York County), New York — East Coast MemorialWWII Battle Monument
Base of Memorial centerpiece, front: 1941 * * * * 1945 Erected by the United States of America in proud and grateful remembrance of her sons who gave their lives in her service and who sleep in the American coastal waters of the Atlantic . . . — Map (db m29208) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Edison Underground Central Station System
1882 — 1917 In a building on this site an electric plant supplying the first Edison Underground Central Station system in this country and forming the origin of New York's present electrical system began operation on September 4, 1882 . . . — Map (db m21509) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Edith Wharton1862 - 1937 — 14 West 23rd Street Manhattan
This was the childhood home of Edith Jones Wharton, one of America's most important authors at a time when 23rd street marked the northern boundary of fashionable New York. Here in her father's extensive library, young Edith Jones discovered the . . . — Map (db m49147) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Edna St. Vincent Millay1892 – 1950
The irreverent poet, who wrote “my candle burns at both ends” lived here in 1923-24 at the time she wrote the “Ballad of the Harp-Weaver,” for which she won a Pulitzer Prize. — Map (db m57187) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Edwin Franko Goldman1878 – 1956 — Composer – Conductor
A Landmark of American Music The Guggenheim Concerts by the world renowned Goldman Band were played here “on the mall” every summer from 1923 to 1969. Presented by the National Music Council and Exxon [Seal of the American . . . — Map (db m56958) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Eglise Française du St. Esprit
Founded by refugee French Huguenots in New Amsterdam in 1628 and moved to this site in 1940. This plaque was dedicated by their descendants and the congregation of St. Esprit to mark the four-hundredth anniversary of the Edict of Nantes 1598 and . . . — Map (db m14044) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Eleanor Roosevelt
Resided at 20 East 11th Street From 1933 to 1942 — Map (db m55751) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Emma Lazarus
Tribute to Emma Lazarus Poet Patriot author of The New Colossus, the sonnet inscribed on the Statue of Liberty The New Colossus Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame with conquering limbs astride from land to land . . . — Map (db m29387) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Engine Company 31
This building, constructed in 1895, is among the best of the many eclectic firehouses built by Napoleon Le Brun & Sons. Today it seems surprising that such an elaborate design would be used for so utilitarian a structure. The entire spirit of the . . . — Map (db m34186) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Equitable Building120 Broadway, Graham, Anderson, Probst and White Architects, 1912-15 — Exploring Lower Manhattan
Vast, looming and dark by comparison to all previous skyscrapers, on completion the Equitable Building could claim the title of, if not the tallest, then certainly the largest office building in the world. Successful life insurance companies like . . . — Map (db m47235) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Eternal Light FlagstaffMadison Square Park
This monumental flagstaff honors those victorious forces of the United States Army and Navy who were officially received at this site following the armistice and the conclusion of World War I. The monument was commissioned by Rodman Wanamaker at the . . . — Map (db m41364) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fashion Walk of Fame
Fashion Walk of Fame celebrates excellence in American design by honoring the New York designers who have had a significant and lasting impact on the way the world dresses.

New York has been the undisputed center of American fashion since the . . . — Map (db m60576) HM

New York (New York County), New York — Federal Hall National MemorialExploring Downtown
A majestic statue of George Washington stands on the front steps of Federal Hall in memory of Washington’s inauguration as the country’s first president – which happened on this spot on April 30th, 1789. The current building is named for the . . . — Map (db m24256) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Federal Hall National Monument26 Wall Street, Town and Davis, architects 1933-42
A majestic statue of George Washington stands on the front steps of Federal Hall in memory of Washington’s inauguration as the country’s first president—which happened on this spot on April 30th, 1789.

The current building is named for . . . — Map (db m95563) HM

New York (New York County), New York — Federal Reserve Bank of New York33 Liberty Street, York & Sawyer, Architects, 1919-24 — Exploring Lower Manhattan
Deep inside the Federal Reserve Bank of New York lies more than one quarter of the world’s known reserves of gold bullion. These tens of billions of dollars’ worth of gold bars, each numbered and weighed, are stored five stories underground in 122 . . . — Map (db m47237) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Federal Reserve Bank of New YorkLandmarks of New York
Inspired by Florentine renaissance palaces and completed in 1924, this structure of Indiana limestone and Ohio sandstone with ironwork by Samuel Yellin was designed by York and Sawyer and built by Marc Eidlitz & Son, Inc. Five stories are below . . . — Map (db m47245) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fifth Avenue Building“Heritage of New York”
Erected in 1909, this building was designed by Maynicke and Franke in Italian Renaissance Eclectic Style. The first structure on this site was the farmhouse of Christopher Mildberger, moved here in 1839 during the extension of Fifth Avenue. . . . — Map (db m41204) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fire Horses
. . . — Map (db m54021) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Firehouse Engine Company No. 33
This 1898 firehouse, designed by Ernest Flagg and W.B. Chambers, is a striking example of the French Beaux Arts style of architecture. At the time of construction it was also the headquarters of the Chief of the Fire Department. The colorful and . . . — Map (db m24424) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Firemen’s MemorialRiverside Park
      The Firemen’s Memorial (1913) in Riverside Park is one of the most impressive monuments in New York City. The monument was designed by H. Van Buren Magonigle (1867-1935) and its sculptures are attributed to Attilio Piccirilli (1866-1945). . . . — Map (db m54004) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Firemen’s Memorial
To the heroic dead of the Fire Department < Back of Monument : > To the men of the Fire Department of the City of New York who died at the call of duty Soldiers in a war that never ends This memorial is dedicated by the people of a . . . — Map (db m54005) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First Almshouse
During the 1999 restoration of City Hall Park, archaeological excavations uncovered burials in this area believed to have been associated with a shelter and workhouse for the poor known as the First Almshouse (1736 – 1797), located where City . . . — Map (db m19688) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First Church on Manhattan Island
1633 The site of the first church built on Manhattan Island Evaradus Bogardus, Dominie This tablet erected by the Daughters of Holland Dames 1933 — Map (db m20238) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First Latin School of New Amsterdam
The first Latin School of New Amsterdam was founded on this site in 1659 by Dr. Alexander Carolus Cursius Curtius, Lithuanian nobleman and scholar who came to the Dutch colony as Latin School Master upon the invitation of Governor Peter Stuyvesant. — Map (db m20288) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First National Sunday School Convention
This site marks the location of the first National Sunday School Convention October 1832 in the Chatham Street Chapel-Theatre. This 150th anniversary honors the millions of children and youth whose lives have been nurtured by the educational . . . — Map (db m72118) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First Precinct Police StationExploring Downtown — 100 Old Slip; Hunt & Hunt, Architects, 1909-1911
Downtown’s East River shipping history still resonates in the names of half a dozen streets called slips – originally inlets carved into the island, where ships were tied up at either side to unload merchandise. Eventually filled in and . . . — Map (db m41184) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First Presbyterian Church
The city’s earliest Presbyterian congregation organized in 1716, built this church in 1845 from plans by Joseph C. Wells after worshiping for over 120 years at Wall and Nassau Streets. The main edifice is modeled after the church of St. Saviour in . . . — Map (db m55754) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First Presidential MansionNo. 1 Cherry St.
Occupied by George Washington from April 26 1789 to February 25 1790. — Map (db m43173) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First Printing Press in the Colony of New York
On this site William Bradford appointed Public Printer April 10th A.D. 1693 established the first printing press in the Colony of New York. Erected by the New York Historical Society April 10th A.D. 1893 in commemoration . . . — Map (db m41644) HM
New York (New York County), New York — First Underground Central Station1882 - 1917
In a building on this site an electric plant supplying the first Edison Underground Central Station System in this country and forming the origin of New York's present electrical system. Began operation on Sept.4.1882 according to plans . . . — Map (db m52428) HM
New York (New York County), New York — FishBridge Park.8 acre
FishBridge Park is located on the south side of Dover Street, from Pearl to Water Streets. It is between the Fulton Fish Market, to the south, and the Brooklyn Bridge, to the north. Of the two distinguished New York institutions, Fulton Fish Market . . . — Map (db m41322) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Flag of Honor
The Flag of Honor contains the names of all those who perished in the World Trade Center, at the Pentagon, and aboard United Flights 175 and 93 and American flights 11 and 77 on September 11, 2001 and in the February 26, 1993 bombing of the World . . . — Map (db m60370) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fluxhouse1967-1969
Fluxus artist George Maciunas, 1931-1978) founded 16-18 Green Street as a Fluxhouse Cooperative, as artist-in-residence center of avant-garde innovation in living, performance, and creativity — Map (db m56934) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Foley Square
Foley Square is named for Thomas F. “Big Tom” Foley (1852-1925), a prominent Democratic Party leader from the Lower East Side of Manhattan. Foley left school at the age of thirteen to support his widowed mother, working for a period as . . . — Map (db m41326) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Foley Square Before 1600
[ Marker #1 ] For thousands of years this land was inhabited by the Lenape people. They belonged to tribes or clans symbolized by the wolf, the turtle or the turkey. These three animals also represented the three key elements on which the Lenape . . . — Map (db m41376) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Former Aeolian Building
Built in 1925-27 on Fifth Avenue, Manhattan's most prestigious commercial thoroughfare, this elegant Neo-Classical structure was designed by Warren & Wetmore, the architects of Grand Central Terminal. Clad with Indiana limestone and marble, the . . . — Map (db m14046) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Former residence of Thomas Jefferson
This plaque marks the site of the former residence of Thomas Jefferson third President of the United States of America who on March 21 1790 as first Secretary of State under President Washington came to New York City then seat of the Federal . . . — Map (db m57569) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Former School of Performing ArtsDesignated Landmark New York City
Built in 1893—94 as public school 67, this Romanesque Revival style building was designed by C.B.J. Snyder, Superintendent of School Buildings for the New York City Board of Education. From 1948 to 1984 it was the School of Performing Arts, . . . — Map (db m57241) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fort Amsterdam
Adjoining this site was the first Dutch fort on Manhattan Island known as Fort Amsterdam. The first house was erected here before 1664. In 1771 Captain Archibald Kennedy built here his residence which was used in 1776 by General George Washington as . . . — Map (db m20275) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fort AmsterdamBirth of a City: Nieuw Amsterdam & Old New York
INTRODUCTION In September 1609, Henry Hudson and some 20 seamen sailed their ship, the Halve Maen (Half Moon), into what is today New York harbor. The Dutch East India Company expected Hudson to find a passage to Asia. Instead, his . . . — Map (db m24090) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fort George
. . . — Map (db m53895) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fort Tryon
1776            1909 Hudson Fulton Celebration Commission On this hill top stood Fort Tryon the northern out work of Fort Washington. Its gallant defence against The Hessian Troops by The Maryland and Virginia Regiment 16 November 1776 was . . . — Map (db m41562) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fort Tryon Park
This historic area and its surroundings were developed and presented to the people of the City of New York in 1935 by John. D. Rockefeller, Jr. The adjacent hilltop, and outpost of Fort Washington, was gallantly defended in November 1776 by the . . . — Map (db m41566) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fort Washington
This memorial marks the site of Fort Washington, constructed by the Continental troops in the summer of 1776. Repossessed by the Americans upon their triumphal entry into the City of New York November 25, 1783. Erected through the generosity of . . . — Map (db m12670) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Four Chaplains Memorial
These London Plane trees were planted in memory of Four Chaplains of U.S. Army Rev. George L. Fox, Chc. Rabbi Alexander D. Goode, Chc. Rev. Clark V. Poling, Chc. Rev. Father John P. Washington, Chc. who, after giving their life belts to their fellow . . . — Map (db m40510) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Francis Makemie
Near this site in 1707 Francis Makemie, a native of Ireland and Father of American Presbyterianism, challenged the edict of Lord Cornbury, Governor of the colony, forbidding him from preaching here. The services he conducted in William Jackson’s . . . — Map (db m47313) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Franz Sigel StatueRiverside Park
      This bronze equestrian sculpture of military officer, educator, journalist, and public servant Franz Sigel (1824-1902) is by the distinguished sculptor Karl Bitter (1867-1915). Sigel is also honored with a park named for him, which is . . . — Map (db m53973) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fraunces Tavern
After the American Revolutionary War, on December 4, 1783, General George Washington bade an emotional farewell to his officers at a banquet held in the Long Room, located on the second floor of this tavern. Samuel Fraunces, a West Indian innkeeper, . . . — Map (db m13326) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fraunces Tavern Block Historic DistrictExploring Downtown
Samuel Fraunces in 1762 named his Queen’s Head tavern after Queen Charlotte, wife of King George III. His politics, however, were strictly patriotic, and his tavern hosted meetings of the radical Sons of Liberty and, later, the New York Provincial . . . — Map (db m19693) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fraunces Tavern Tallmadge Memorial
Erected in 1719 –. Chamber of Commerce founded here 1768. Washington’s Farewell to his Officers December 4th, 1783. Centennial Celebration of Washington’s Farewell 1883. Sons of the Revolution reorganized here December 4th, 1883. Building . . . — Map (db m13732) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Fulton Fish Waist - 142 Beekman StreetBuilt 1885, Remodeled 1981
One of the district's most sophisticated architectural treasures, No. 142 Beekman (also known as 211 Front Street) was designed by George B. Post—later architect of the New York Stock Exchange—for a descendent of Peter Schermerhorn. The . . . — Map (db m21152) HM
New York (New York County), New York — General Daniel Butterfield StatueSakura Park
Daniel Butterfield (1831-1901) was born October 31, 1831. His father John was a leader in the express mail business, and helped found the American Express Company. Butterfield graduated from Union College in 1849, and became a merchant in New York . . . — Map (db m19627) HM
New York (New York County), New York — General Worth Square.076 acre
This small square marks the grave of General William Jenkins Worth (1794-1849). Born to Quaker parents in Hudson, New York, Worth worked briefly at a store in Hudson before moving to Albany to pursue a mercantile career. With the outbreak of the . . . — Map (db m41281) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Geoffrey BeeneFashion Walk of Fame
A designer’s designer, Geoffrey Beene is one of the most artistic and individual of fashion’s creators. He is known for his surgically clean cutting and his fluid use of materials. His designs display a sensuous appreciation of the body and always . . . — Map (db m58311) HM
New York (New York County), New York — George Brinton McClellan, Jr (1865-1940)The 93rd Mayor of the City of New York (1904-1909)
During his administration, Mayor McClellan, son of Civil War General George McClellan, acquired 277 acres of park space, completed construction of the New York Public Library, built Grand Central Terminal, presided over the opening of the subway, . . . — Map (db m68379) HM
New York (New York County), New York — George Clinton
New York Home of Distinguished American George Clinton July 26 1739 – April 20, 1812 Vice President of The United States 1805 - 12 Governor of New York 1777 - 95, 1801 - 04 Occupied as Governor's Mansion a house on this site from . . . — Map (db m73420) HM
New York (New York County), New York — George Frederick Cooke1756-1812
Acclaimed as one of the greatest actors of his day, Cooke played Richard III to an audience of 2,000 in New York. After his death, legends abounded that his skull was stolen from his coffin and secretly used in theater productions of Hamlet. In . . . — Map (db m43443) HM
New York (New York County), New York — George T. Delacorte
In memory of George T. Delacorte June 20, 1893 – May 4, 1991 Publisher and Philanthropist Whose Many Gifts Beautify New York City * * * * * The restoration of this Historic Park and Fountain Is an Illustration of his Generosity Bowling Green . . . — Map (db m47387) HM
New York (New York County), New York — George Washington Statue
[ No Inscription ] — Map (db m41338) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Giorgio Di Sant’AngeloFashion Walk of Fame
Di Sant’Angelo exemplified the individual designer. He rose to prominence during the late 1960s when exuberant youth styles dominated. Inspired by non-western dress and hippie anti-fashion, di Sant’Angelo’s clothes were an eclectic mix if vibrant . . . — Map (db m58164) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Governors Island
In August 1776 island cannons were a key factor in keeping the British Navy out of the East River, allowing General Washington’s army to escape to Manhattan and fight another day. Revolutionary War Heritage Trail — Map (db m47005) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Grace ChurchLandmarks of New York
This Protestant Episcopal Church of Gothic design was constructed of unfinished marble in 1845-46 from plans by James Renwick, Jr. It contains the cornerstone of an earlier church erected in 1806. It is famous for its stained glass windows, high . . . — Map (db m80326) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Gracie MansionLandmarks of New York
Built about 1799 on the site of a Revolutionary fort as the country house of Archibald Gracie, Scottish merchant, this colonial stucture was restored in 1927 under the supervision of the Park Department. From 1921 to 1932 it housed the Museum of The . . . — Map (db m72650) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Grand Central Terminal“Landmark of New York”
Completed in 1913 from plans of Warren & Wetmore and Reed & Stem on site of earlier depot built by Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt in 1871. Statuary group over main entrance executed by Jules Coutan. — Map (db m57244) HM
New York (New York County), New York — Grumman F11F (F-11) TigerIntrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum
The design of the single-seat Tiger incorporated the Area Rule to reduce transonic and super-sonic drag. Its Coke bottle-shaped fuselage was narrower at the wings and tail, a concept developed by Richard Whitcomb of the National Advisory Committee . . . — Map (db m91945) WM
New York (New York County), New York — Grumman F-14 TomcatIntrepid Sea, Air and Space Museum
The F-14 Tomcat was the Navy’s first-line fighter from 1972-2006. In full forward-sweep position, its distinctive variable-geometry wings provide the lift needed to slow-speed flight essential for carrier landings. In swept-back position, the wings . . . — Map (db m91944) WM

478 markers matched your search criteria. The first 250 markers were listed. Next 228
Paid Advertisement