HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Newberry County Markers
South Carolina (Newberry County), Glymphville — R. Aubrey Harley Bridge
Named in 1979 in honor of Dedicated Public Servant Born 1908 Died 1974 Member, South Carolina House of Representatives from Newberry County 1939 ~ 48 Member, South Carolina Highway Commission 1951 ~ 55 Vice Chairman 1954 ~ 55 Member, South Carolina Senate 1957 ~ 60 One of the originators of the Farm ~ to ~ Market highway legislation by which so many South Carolinians have benefited. — Map (db m54563) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Maybinton — Ebenezer Methodist Church1784-1974
On this site stood the Ebenezer Methodist Church. The structure built in 1848 and two earlier structures which stood in this vicinity served the congregation of Maybinton Township. Founded in 1784 the first year of organized Methodism in America, Ebenezer Church was one of the oldest Methodist churches in continuous operation in South Carolina. — Map (db m20832) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-6 — Bush River Church
Constituted by Daniel Marshall and Philip Mulkey in June, 1771, Bush River Church is one of the oldest Baptist churches in the upcountry. The original meeting house stood in the old graveyard, on a tract of two acres willed to the congregation by Samuel Newman, its first minister. Bush River was the mother church of several antebellum churches. — Map (db m13298) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-2 — Bush River Quaker Meeting
This old cemetery marks the site of the Bush River Meeting House. Settled by Quakers in the 1760s, it was a monthly meeting (1770-1822) and a quarterly meeting with jurisdiction over all meetings in South Carolina and Georgia from 1791 to 1808. Opposing slavery, the members moved west and settled Quaker meetings in Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio. — Map (db m13288) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Calvin Crozier
Was murdered near by the 33d, U.S. Regt of Negro Federal Soldiers Sept. 8, 1865 — Map (db m44978) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-13 — Calvin Crozier Murder Site
Front Colonel Charles Trowbridge of the 33rd U.S. Colored Troops ordered the execution of Calvin Crozier, former private 3rd Kentucky Cavalry, on Sept. 8, 1865. Crozier, while en route to his Texas home, cut a troop member on the back of the neck during a quarrel concerning two ladies traveling with Crozier. Soldiers of the 33rd arrested an innocent man for the assault, but Crozier identified himself as the assailant. He was Reverse taken to 33rd headquarters, shot, . . . — Map (db m13305) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Henry McNeal Turner
Historical Bicentennial Marker In Memory Of Henry McNeal Turner 1834 - 1915 Birthplace: Newberry, South Carolina - Boyhood Home: Abbeville, South Carolina Missionary Pioneer to South Africa, Liberation Theologian Social and Political Activist, First Black United States Military Chaplain. Consecrated Twelfth Bishop African Methodist Episcopal Church -1880- Senior Bishop Henry Wendell Murph Active Bishops     John Hurst . . . — Map (db m42143) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Korean War
In honor of those who served and dedicated to those who died on the field of battle Korea 1950-1955 — Map (db m13329) WM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-16 — Mollohon Mill and Village
This mill was built and operated by the Mollohon Manufacturing Co. from 1901 to 1926, when it was sold to the Kendall CO.; the mill closed in 1976 and was razed in 1980. Original mill village housing was built 1901-02; new mill village was built 1924. The village also included the Mollohon School for grades 104 (1921-73), Mollohon Park, pavilion, bandstand and adjacent baseball park all opened in 1921-22. — Map (db m13304) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — National WWII MemorialCelebration of Freedom
Dedicated May 27, 2002 to the men and women who served our nation. They were truly the Greatest Generation. In this space lies some of the soil and water of the major battlefields fought on by our brave men and women. — Map (db m44975) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-3 — Newberry College
This fully-accredited Lutheran-controlled college was chartered by the General Assembly of South Carolina on December 20, 1856. Dr. John Bachman, noted divine and naturalist, was the first president of the board of trustees. The college was used as a Confederate hospital and a U.S. garrison. It removed to Walhalla in 1868 but returned to Newberry in 1877. — Map (db m13293) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-9 — Newberry College Historic District
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places are Smeltzer Hall (1877-78), dormitory for women and campus reception area, renovated and re-dedicated in 1978; Keller Hall (1894), used as chapel, museum, library, laboratory, and now for student activities; Holland Hall (1904), administrative offices for the college; and Derrick Hall (1924), women's dormitory. — Map (db m13292) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-14 — Newberry Cotton Mills
Newberry Cotton Mills, incorporated in 1882, began operation in 1885. The mill was designed by prominent textile mill architects Lockwood, Greene, & Co. and was one of the first cotton mills in the United States operated by steam power. Z.F. Wright, who served as president 1905 ~ 1947, was responsible for several expansions. Newberry Cotton Mills, which also sponsored the Newberry Concert Band 1906 ~ 1968, closed in 1982. — Map (db m19652) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Newberry County Confederate Monument
This is a record of sacred dead. They were the soldiers of the Southern Confederact, from Newberry District, South Carolina, who battled for right and perished. Thus their living comrades and they who loved them memorize their lives. — Map (db m13397) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Newberry County World War I Monument
West Side Erected in grateful recognition of the service of the sons of Newberry County who at the call of their country enlisted in the World War, and to the memory of those who sealed with their lives their devotion to the cause of liberty and democracy. South Side This tablet is dedicated by Newberry County Post 24 American Legion to our comrades who died on the field of duty. East Side The tablet is dedicated by Newberry County Post 24 American . . . — Map (db m13327) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Newberry County World War II Monument
In honor of all who served our country and dedicated to the memory of those who made the supreme sacrifice in World War II. 1941 - 1945 — Map (db m13396) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-22 — Newberry Village Cemetery
This cemetery dates from 1809, 23 years before Newberry’s incorporation in 1832. George McCreless donated an acre here for a village cemetery, and his brother Lewis was the first person buried in it. The Town Council bought another acre from John Caldwell in 1847. After Rosemont Cemetery was established 1 mi. N in 1863, this early cemetery was neglected. The last known burial was that of Dr. P.B. Ruff, in 1890. — Map (db m55108) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-4 — Old Court House
Designed by Jacob Graves and built by John Damron, Newberry County's fourth court house was erected in 1852. It replaced an earlier building on this site which was probably designed by Robert Mills. The Old Court House is now used as a community hall. The bas-relief, added by Osborne Wells, is said to depict the Prostrate State held by the Federal eagle, the gamecock defiantly representing the Spirit of South Carolina. — Map (db m19660) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — 36-5 — The Opera House
This building was erected by the Town of Newberry, and dedicated in February of 1882. An outstanding example of Victorian civic architecture of eclectic design, it was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1969. Now housing city offices, the Opera House was for over half a century the center of entertainment for this community. Plays, college commencements, and balls were held in the auditorium upstairs. — Map (db m19654) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Newberry — Vietnam War
Dedicated to those who died, honor and eternal rest, those still in bondage, remembrance and hope, those who returned, gratitude and peace. — Map (db m13330) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Peak — 36-15 — Peak
This town, founded in 1853 as Peak's Station on the Greenville & Columbia Railroad, was named for railroad superintendent H.T. Peake. In 1865 Federal troops destroyed the tracks here and over the Broad River. Peak, incorporated in 1880, prospered as a railroad town and local center of farming, business, and medical care, in spite of fires in its commercial district in 1909, 1953, and 1978. — Map (db m27661) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-18 — Bethlehem Lutheran Church
[Marker Front]: This church, with its origins in services held in the 1780's at nearby Wicker's Camp Ground, was formally organized in 1816 with Rev. Godfrey Dreher as its first pastor. A log meeting house was built on this site soon afterwards. In 1830 its third pastor, Rev. John G. Schwartz, founded the first Lutheran seminary in the South here in Pomaria, at the home of Col. John Eichelberger. [Marker Reverse]: In 1855 the S.C. Synod met here and voted to establish a . . . — Map (db m10039) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-17 — Folk-Holloway House
This house, built ca. 1820 for John Adam Folk (1799-1855) is an excellent example of a 19th-century two-story farmhouse. Folk, a farmer and merchant, was also postmaster at Tanner's Hill (now Pomaria) 1829-40. Later the home of Folk's daughter Martha and her husband Thomas W. Holloway (1829-1903), who chartered the town of Pomaria in 1903, it was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1992. — Map (db m27659) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-20 — Hope Rosenwald School
(Front text) This school, built in 1925-26 at a cost of $2,900, was one of more than 500 rural African-American schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932. The original two-acre lot for the school was donated by James H. Hope, Mary Hope Hipp, and John J. Hope. James H. Hope, then S.C. Superintendent of Education, was its longest-serving head, 1922-1947. (Reverse text) This two-room school, with grades 1-8 taught by two . . . — Map (db m42139) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-1 — Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary
Here in 1830, in the house of Colonel John Eigleberger, the Evangelical Lutheran Synod of South Carolina and Adjacent States opened a seminary which grew into the Lutheran Theological Southern Seminary now located in Columbia, S.C. — Map (db m13254) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-11 — Mount Bethel Academy
[Front] Located about one mile northeast on land conveyed by Edward Finch, this school, the first Methodist educational venture in the state, was established by Bishop Francis Asbury and opened by him, 1795. A number of Mt. Bethel students became the first S.C. College graduates. The first Methodist conference in S.C. outside Charleston met here at Finch's house in 1793. [Reverse] Mount Bethel Academy Among the leading citizens who attended this school, which opened . . . — Map (db m13210) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-10 — Pomaria
Originally named Countsville, this post office was established in 1823. In 1840, it was renamed Pomaria, probably for William Summer's nearby Pomaria Nursery. By 1851 the Columbia and Newberry Railroad had completed a line through here, and six years later a free school had opened. The town of Pomaria was incorporated in 1903. — Map (db m13252) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — Rev. Joachim Bulow.
In Memory of the Rev. Joachim Bulow. Organizer and first Pastor of St. Pauls Lutheran Church about 1761 — Map (db m19396) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36-7 — St. John's Church
This Lutheran church stands on a royal grant of 100 acres made in 1763 to John Adam Epting and Peter Dickert, elders of the Dissenting congregation on Crim's Creek. The origins of St. John's date as early as 1754, when the Reverend John Gasser settled near here. The church was incorporated in 1794 as "the German Lutheran Congregation of S1. John." — Map (db m13258) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Pomaria — 36 - 21 — St. Paul Lutheran Church
Front This church, founded ca. 1761 by the Rev. Joachim Bulow, is one of the earliest Lutheran congregations in what is now Newberry County. A log church built nearby before the Revolution was replaced by a frame church. A larger frame sanctuary, built ca. 1830 during the pastorate of the Rev. Michael Rauch, would serve the congregation of St. Paul for 108 years. Reverse The Rev. J.A. Sligh (1835 ~ 1917), the longest ~ serving pastor here, served St. Paul from 1865 . . . — Map (db m52785) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Prosperity — Confederate Veterans
To the Memory of Confederate Veterans 1861 - 1865 — Map (db m50352) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Prosperity — 36-8 — The Rock House
On December 7, 1756, the Council of the Colony recorded a petition of Jacob Hoffman for 200 acres of bounty land. He was granted this acreage on Palmetto Branch in 1758. The building on this tract, which has long been known as "The Rock House," exhibits details of construction which support the local tradition that it was built before the American Revolution. — Map (db m13281) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Silverstreet — 36-12 — New Chapel Church
Once housing a school for area students, this United Methodist church was located closer to the Saluda River around 1820. The congregation moved to this site after Isaac Herbert, a member of the S.C. House of Representatives (1844-45), donated the land in 1833. The present building was constructed in 1879. — Map (db m13285) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Whitmire — Our Heroes of World War II
In Memoriam Aragon Baldwin Mills, Whitmire Plant Employees who gave their lives in World War II. Great Britton Arrowood; Thomas Bellue; Howard Eugene Boulware; Ralph Cochran; William Thomas Crosby; Robert Yvan Evans; Floyd Virgil Gilliam; James Richard Hayes; John Bruce Loftis, Jr.; Robert P. McCall; William McMurry; John H. Osborne; Marion Ephraim Reed; Harold Anderson Senn; Lawrence Eugene Summers; Stanley Jones Teasley; Clifford Vinson — Map (db m54561) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Whitmire — Textile Memorial
In Appreciation of Contributions God-fearing Neighbors Made to the Cotton Mill and Town of Whitmire October 1902 - May 2001 Lives of great men all remind us we can make our lives sublime, and, departing, leave behind us footprints in the sands of time. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow~ [Cross] Map (db m48581) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Whitmire — Veterans Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of the men and women who served in the Armed Forces of the United States of America by American Legion Post #70 — Map (db m54558) HM
South Carolina (Newberry County), Whitmire — Whitmire War Memorial1949
Whitmire War Memorial 1949 Erected in the honor of the men and women of Whitmire who served their country in World Wars One and Two and Dedicated to the memory of the following who made the supreme sacrifice World War One: Arthur Baker; Thomas O. Duncan; Curtis D. Trammell; Bronx Nelson World War Two: Great Britton Arrowood; Thomas Bellue; Howard Eugene Bouleware; Ralph Cochran; William T. Crosby; Gilman G. Crosby; John E. Davis; Robert V. Evans; Floyd Virgil Gilliam; James R. . . . — Map (db m54560) WM
37 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 184 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.