HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Newport County Markers
Rhode Island (Newport County), Adamsville — Rhode Island Red
To commemorate the birthplace of the Rhode Island Red breed of fowl which originated near this location. Red fowls were breed extensively by farmers of this district and later named Rhode Island Reds and brought into National prominence by the poultry fanciers. — Map (db m56093) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Jamestown — Conanicut Battery
Conanicut Battery A Revolutionary Fort Built by Americans in 1776 Grounds cleared and tablet placed by the Daughters of the American Revolution of Rhode Island — Map (db m56383) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Jamestown — Fort Wetherill
Situated atop 50-70 foot high cliffs with clear views of the horizon and Block Island to the south. Fort Wetherill held an important strategic position within an extended harbor defense system of Narragansett Bay during World Wars I and II.

The government acquired the first parcels of land for this fort in 1799. Additional acreage was later purchased bringing the total area of this military reservation to 61.5 acres. In 1900, the enclave was formerly dedicated and named Fort Wetherill. . . . — Map (db m56680) HM

Rhode Island (Newport County), Jamestown — Harbor Mine (Torpedo) Complex
The Harbor Mine or Torpedo Complex was constructed during the period of 1908 to 1911 as part of a comprehensive harbor defense system for Narragansett Bay. The two-story concrete structure served as a Mine Storage Warehouse in which the parts required for the assembly of the mines (or torpedoes as they were also called) were stored. This building and the two adjacent one-story structures were equipped with overhead rail cranes capable of lifting and moving heavy parts and subassemblies to tram . . . — Map (db m56683) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Jamestown — History of the Dumplings
Historically, the rocky cliffs behind and above the buildings of the Harbor Mine Complex were of military significance to Rhode Island's earliest colonists, who built earthen fortifications on its headland and installed cannon to protect nearby Newport from the British during the Revolutionary War. Situated atop steep granite cliffs some 50-70 feet in height, the guns effectively commanded the approaches to the East Passage of Narragansett Bay. The Colonists abandoned this site when a British . . . — Map (db m56686) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Jamestown — Oil Storage Building
Beavertail Light was lit with whale oil for many decades. Whale oil was smoky, hard to light at cold temperatures, and the quality varied greatly. In addition, early lights were dim and burned twenty to thirty gallons of oil a month.

In the early 1800s Newport inventor David Melville developed a way to manufacture flammable gas from coal tar. He lit Beavertail Light using his coal gas in an 1817 experiment, but the powerful whale oil industry blocked the use of coal gas. It would be . . . — Map (db m56679) HM

Rhode Island (Newport County), Jamestown — Prospect HillFire Control Stations — Modern Coastal Defenses
This area along the crest of Prospect Hill was an integral part of the Narragansett Bay coastal defense system from 1916 to 1945. From here, military observers had an unobstructed view of the approaches to the Bay, as well as East and West passages and the mine fields laid out in each during times of war.

Along this 400-foot path at an elevation of 125 feet are six in-ground stations designed as observation posts and orientated generally south towards Rhode Island Sound. When these posts . . . — Map (db m56678) HM

Rhode Island (Newport County), Jamestown — The 1749 Foundation
Below this concrete cap sits the stone foundation Beavertail's 1749 lighthouse.

Initially built to provide safe passage into Newport's colonial harbor, it was designed and built by Peter Harrison, "America's first architect," who later designed the Redwood library, Touro Synagogue and the brick market in Newport. Beavertail was the third lighthouse built in the American Colonies.

Until recently it was believed the first light tower was circular in shape. However, a 2008 ground . . . — Map (db m56457) HM

Rhode Island (Newport County), Little Compton — Col. Benjamin Church
This Tablet erected by the Rhode Island Society of Colonial Wars in recognition of the exceptional services rendered by Col. Benjamin Church His fearless leadership and effective command during King Philip's war 1675-1676 — Map (db m52392) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Middletown — Green End Fort
Built 1777 by the English for the defence of Newport The gift of ---------- W. W. Sherman J. N. Brown H. Brown F. S. Barker S. P. Barker — Map (db m48062) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Middletown — Prescott’s Headquarters
In this house the British General Prescott was taken prisoner on the night of July 9, 1777 by Lieutenant-Colonel Barton of the Rhode Island Line. — Map (db m48060) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — A Giant Among Forts
Imagine this twenty acre fort filled to capacity: 2,400 soldiers here to defend Newport with 468 cannon sited along the most probable attack routes. Though designed to house an imposing force, Fort Adams was normally garrisoned with several hundred troops during peacetime. When America engaged in war, however, the fort and surrounding area teemed with thousands of soldiers patrolling the ramparts and training for combat. Simon Bernard, who had served as a lieutenant general of engineers . . . — Map (db m48125) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Alexander Jack Jr. Housec.1811 — NRF Founded by Doris Duke 1968
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66358) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Bay Islands Park
The Bay Islands Park, managed by the Rhode Island Department of Environmental Management, consists of nine sites that extend from Patience Island in the upper bay to Beavertail and Brenton Point overlooking Rhode Island Sound. Each of the nine sites has a distinct personality, the product of its natural features and cultural legacy. The shipping channel was dredged to a depth of forty feet by the Army Corps of Engineers so that deep-draft oil tankers and cargo ships could reach the port of . . . — Map (db m48451) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Between the Wars
Fort Adams . . . often was dubbed the country club of the army, especially by those officers and enlisted men who were assigned to it after duty in foreign areas. And its peacetime background was dotted with stories of high society and Army brass entertaining.”       - Harold Wade, Boston Globe, September 3, 1956 The Soldiers lived a fairly easy and complacent life while the officers could look forward to having their official duties accomplished by noon time. During . . . — Map (db m48233) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Boats of the Bay
1.   Ferry Increasing numbers of Rhode Islanders board cruise boats and ferries to get out of the Bay. These ferries are reminiscent of the pleasure steamboats that were so common on Narragansett Bay one hundred years ago. 2.   Fast Frigate Navy destroyer tenders carry sophisticated sonar equipment, making them capable of anti-submarine warfare. Their guns and missile launchers equip them for anti-air warfare as well. 3.   Recreational Fishing Boat Numerous sportfishing boats . . . — Map (db m56460) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Brenton Point Maritime Memorial
In Honor of Ernest Coggeshall, Jr. 9/2/15 – 4/27/95 Capt. Joseph X. “Jay” O’Brien, Jr. 4/21/54 – 12/16/90 Dad, Mom and Family [ Right Side of Monument : ] James Wah Gin Wong 1918 – 1993 Stephen Joseph Fougere 1954 – 1972 John Henry Rayner 1956 – 1990 James T. O’Connell 1889 – 1974 W. Mark Ohlsen 1949 – 1985 John T. Reddy   USN 1927 – 1994 John A. Reddy 1958 – 1980 John “Mac” McNeal 1959 – 1987 Lyle . . . — Map (db m48922) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Brenton Point State Park
Governor Philip W. Noel Lt. Governor J. Joseph Garrahy Director Dennis J. Murphy, Jr. Sen. Erich A. O’D. Taylor, President Sen. Robert J. McKenna Mayor Humphrey J. Donnelly, III Committee Chairman James Thomson Douglas Agnes R. Curtis Councilman Robert O. Beattie Councilman Richard S. Phelps Robert R. Coulombe Donato F. D’Andrea Rep. James F. Mahoney Delphine H. Washburn Edwin W. Connelly George F. Howarth – Landscape Architect — Map (db m48973) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Buffum-Redwood Housec. 1700 enlarged 1740 — NRF Founded by Doris Duke 1968
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66364) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Building a Fortress
U.S. army officer, Joseph G. Totten superintended the construction of Fort Adams beginning in 1825. He oversaw all details of construction until 1838, when he was appointed as the first Chief Engineer of the newly created Army Corps of Engineers. [ Along Bottom of Marker : ]Bricks used 2,952,418         Structural Arches 595,900            Outerwork Arches 545,992            in Tunnels 77,850              in Embrasures ------------------------------ Total Bricks:     . . . — Map (db m48181) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Buliod-Perry Housec. 1750
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m48689) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Cap't George Buckmaster Housec. 1768 — NRF Founded by Doris Duke 1968
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66356) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Captain John Warren HouseBuilt 1737
French Navy Artillery Headquarters   1780 - 1781 — Map (db m48098) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Changing Role of the Fort
The late 19th century saw revolutionary changes in both weapons and strategies of defense. Steam powered ships with high velocity naval guns could now bring the walls down and rendered forts obsolete. To remedy the risk, Fort Adams expanded outside its main walls. Just before 1900, the Army built six new batteries and armed them with modern cannons and mortars. These batteries could fire at greater ranges to protect Newport and Narragansett Bay. From 1900 on, the older fort walls served . . . — Map (db m48230) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Chateau-sur-Mer & Its Neighbors: A Victorian District Preserved
The buildings surrounding Chateau-sur-Mer capture the spirit of Newport in the High Victorian era. This block preserves one of the greatest concentrations of Victorian architecture and landscape design in Newport from the period 1850 to 1890. The residents of these houses, many related through marriage, were powerful merchants and bankers, who later entered public service as senators, governors, mayors and judges. The grounds of Chat-sur-Mer and the Harold Brown Villa, across the street, were . . . — Map (db m48609) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Defending From Land Assault
Think about how difficult a land attack against Fort Adams would be. First, you would have to capture the Redoubt, located a quarter mile to the south. You would then have to charge up the sloping glacis to the Southern front. Finally, you would have to contend with cannon and musket fire from the exterior ditch, tenaille, exterior front and interior ditch. Remember that your own cannon fire is ineffective due to the materials and geometry of the fort’s construction. How about a tunneling . . . — Map (db m48138) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Defending Narragansett Bay
During the 19th century, Newport was the only deep water harbor between New York and Boston which could serve as a base for a large fleet of warships. Fort Adams was located at a crucial point where it could prevent the entry of enemy warships into both Newport harbor and Narragansett Bay. [ Along Bottom of Marker : ]Report of 1850 – Armament Planned for Fort Adams 59   42 Pounders       21   18 Pounders 90   32 Pounders       13   12 Pounders 98   24 Pounders       12   Field . . . — Map (db m48129) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Defending Narragansett Bay
During the 19th century, Newport was the only deep water harbor between New York and Boston which could serve as a base for a large fleet of warships. Fort Adams was located at a crucial point where it could prevent the entry of enemy warships into both Newport harbor and Narragansett Bay. [ Along Bottom of Marker : ]Report of 1850 – Armament Planned for Fort Adams 59   42 Pounders             21   18 Pounders 90   32 Pounders             13   12 Pounders 98   24 Pounders      . . . — Map (db m48235) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Eisenhower Park
Named in honor of Dwight D. Eisenhower President of the United States 1953 – 1961 Dedicated   22 July 1960 — Map (db m48969) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Elisha Johnson Housec. 1750
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66366) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — EqyptAir Flight 990 Memorial
In loving memory of the 217 family members and friends lost on EqyptAir Flight 990 ca 60 miles south of Nantucket Island October 31, 1999 ♦   ♦   ♦ May God’s eternal light shine on them ♦   ♦   ♦ “They are not gone from us” — Map (db m48925) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Erich A. O’D. Taylor
Statesman ~ Legislator Teacher   ~   Patriot 1st Chairman – Fort Adams Foundation May 18, 1972 A dynamic force for the preservation of Fort Adams with a determination as unyielding as this granite block. — Map (db m48444) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Fort Adams
History you can Touch Explore the casemates where the big guns once roared. Discover how 8 soldiers worked together to load and fire each cannon. Step into the quarters where the soldiers and their families lived. Ascend to the scenic overlook for a breathtaking view of Narragansett Bay and Newport Harbor. Stroll the 6½ acre parade field and the maze of the defensive outerworks. Enter . . . if you dare . . . one of the listening tunnels beneath the walls of the fort. A National . . . — Map (db m48249) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Fort Adams
History you can Touch Explore the casemates where the big guns once roared. Discover how 8 soldiers worked together to load and fire each cannon. Step into the quarters where the soldiers and their families lived. Ascend to the scenic overlook for a breathtaking view of Narragansett Bay and Newport Harbor. Stroll the 6½ acre parade field and the maze of the defensive outerworks. Enter . . . if you dare . . . one of the listening tunnels beneath the walls of the fort. A National . . . — Map (db m48276) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Fort Adams
History you can Touch Explore the casemates where the big guns once roared. Discover how 8 soldiers worked together to load and fire each cannon. Step into the quarters where the soldiers and their families lived. Ascend to the scenic overlook for a breathtaking view of Narragansett Bay and Newport Harbor. Stroll the 6½ acre parade field and the maze of the defensive outerworks. Enter . . . if you dare . . . one of the listening tunnels beneath the walls of the fort. A National . . . — Map (db m48284) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Fort Adams Foundation
To honor the members of the Fort Adams Foundation May 4, 1976 Governor Philip W. Noel Lt. Governor J. Joseph Garrahy Director Dennis J. Murphy, Jr. George E. Howarth, 1st Commandant Sen. Erich A. O’D. Taylor, President Sen. Robert J. McKenna Rep. James F. Mahoney Councilman Robert O. Beattie Antoinette F. Downing John Nicholas Brown Walter C. Hadley Francis J. Boyle Richard M. Wood Colonel Frank Hale Donato Andre D’Andrea Leonard J. Panaggio Francis A. Comstock E. Newton Lawton Frank Flynn Lt. . . . — Map (db m48971) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Gideon Cornell Housec. 1765 — NRF Founded by Doris Duke 1965
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66355) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Going Great Guns
Picture this space in action as gun crews drilled in live fire exercises – the booming noise of cannon, the thick smoke, the smell of burnt powder, and the shouting of commands. This casemate, a chamber with openings for cannons, could house two 32-pounders, which were designed to sink wooden warships. Similar casemates in the west wall later contained 10-inch Rodman cannons that fired projectiles weighing over 100 pounds. [ Along Bottom of Marker : ] Artillery at Fort Adams . . . — Map (db m48333) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Great Friends Meeting House
In 1639, Helen and Nicholas Easton, John Clarke, William Coddington and others left Portsmouth, the settlement founded in 1638 by Anne Hutchinson and others on the northern end of Aquidneck Island. They came south and founded Newport. Newport’s European settlers moved onto land cleared by Native Americans and built their first houses in this area which had been summer hunting grounds. The tribulations caused by the religious intolerance of Puritanism throughout New England and made life . . . — Map (db m48498) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Hunter House
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1968 — Map (db m48093) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — James Nicholl HouseCirca 1750
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places The James Nicoll House c. 1750 by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m48687) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — John Adams1735 – 1826
Second President of the United States in whose honor this Fort was named. July 4th, 1799 — Map (db m48085) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Jonathan Gibbs Housec. 1771 — NRF Founded by Doris Duke 1968
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66361) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Life in Fort Adams
I did not have far or long to look, because, being the junior officer of the garrison I could displace no other, and besides, there was but one casemate available for me to choose from . . .   A good sweeping and a little glazing of broken windows made it quite comfortable. I took a share in an active young Irishman, wild and fresh from the Emerald Isle, whom two or three officers had in common as a servant. He soon had a roaring fire in my open grate and this quickly ate up the mould and . . . — Map (db m48130) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Maj. Gen. Isaac Ingalls Stevens
In memory of Maj. Gen. Isaac Ingalls Stevens Born in Andover, Mass. Who gave to the service of his country a quick and comprehensive mind, a warm and generous heart, a firm will and a strong arm, and who fell while rallying his command with the flag of the Republic in his dying grasp at the Battle of Chantilly, Va. Sept. 1,1862. First Governor of Washington Territory, 1853-56. Delegate to Congress from Washington Territory, 1857-61. The people of Washington State, gratefully acknowledges his . . . — Map (db m48625) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Mary Ferrazzali Park
Mary Ferrazzoli (1928-1994) was the visionary leader who founded the Friends of the Waterfront in 1982. She vigorously championed public access and stood firmly opposed to the commercial overdevelopment of the Newport waterfront blocking public rights of way. This park is a tribute to Mary Ferrazzoli' indomitable spirit and the justice of her cause. The Friends of the Waterfront continue her work with vigilance and determination to protect public access and to achive her goal of developing a . . . — Map (db m59981) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Memorial to the French Fleet
. . . — Map (db m49054) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Militia Commonc. 1700
This piece of land was given to the town of Newport by Major Nathaniel Sheffield and Mr. Daniel Thurston as common land to be used as a mustering place for the militia. This marker dedicated by the Artillery Company of Newport on their 250th year of continuous service. 1741 ----- 1991 — Map (db m48096) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Missing at Sea May 7, 2007
Capt. Trey Topping July 25, 1967 Capt. Jason Franks February 10, 1973 Christine Grinavic January 21, 1981 Rhiannon Borisoff July 26, 1984 Now they are sailing alongside their God with fair winds, following seas, and the warm sun shining on their faces. — Map (db m48617) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Newport Harbor
Newport Harbor has been a center of commerce and industry since the days Narragansetts and Wampanoags, Native Americans, fished the waters of this bay. The first European explorer was Giovanni da Verranzzano, an Italian who sailed for the King of France from 1524-1538 and anchored in Newport Harbor for 15 days. In colonial times, Newport was one of the five major ports and the harbor saw activity in the triangle trade of rum-slaves-molasses, as well as fishing, whaling, and shipbuilding. . . . — Map (db m48244) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Newport Historic District
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1968 — Map (db m48092) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Old State House
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1962 — Map (db m48091) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Oliver Hazard Perry
. . . — Map (db m48630) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Perry
[ Back of Monument : ] “We have met the enemy and they are ours” Sept. 10th, 1813. — Map (db m48500) WM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Portuguese Navigators Monument
“This monument is a gift to the people of the United States of America, from the Rhode Island General Assembly in conjunction with the National Committee of the Commemorations of the Discoveries of Portugal and commissioned under the auspices of the Portuguese Cultural Foundation of Rhode Island. Edward D. Diprete, Governor Richard A. Light, Lieutenant Governor The Miguel Corte-Real Monument Committee. Project: Sculptor Charters de Almeida, Architect   Joao Santa-Rita, Dedicated June 10 . . . — Map (db m48088) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Portuguese Navigators: Pioneers in Maritime Exploration
The monument before you honors the Portuguese navigators of the Golden Age of Maritime Exploration, which spanned from the early 1400’s to the late 1500’s. During this era, Portugal was the forerunner in maritime exploration – both coasts of the United States were discovered and colonized by the Portuguese. Bretton Point was chosen as the site for this monument because it is very reminiscent of Sagres, the point in southern Portugal where Prince Henry founded his School of Navigation in . . . — Map (db m48378) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Returning Old Glory 2001
While Fort Adams was in active service from 1842 to 1950, the United States flag flew proudly over the ramparts. When the last U.S. Army unit departed our flag was hauled down, and there was no longer a flagpole within the Fort proper. During 2001 the Fort Adams Trust was assisted by Leadership Rhode Island’s Phi Class in an effort to re-erect the flagpole and fly the national colors where they had been historically located. On October 28, 2001 we raised our flag high above the granite walls . . . — Map (db m48246) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Rhode Island Marine Memorial
Since 1775 the United States Marines have served our nation in peace and war. ------------------- Semper Fidelis These marines continue to be true to these words. Cpl. Rick R. Crudale – West Warwick • Sgt. Timothy R. Giblin – North Providence • Cpl. Edward S. Iacovino, Jr. – Warwick • PFC. Thomas A. Julian – Middletown • Cpl. Davis C. Massa – Warren • 1st Lt. Jeffrey R. Scharver – Barrington • Cpl. Thomas A. Shipp – Woonsocket • Cpl. James F. Silvia . . . — Map (db m48622) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — RI Pilots of Brenton Reef Pilot Station
In memory of Rhode Island State licensed pilots serving the Brenton Reef Pilot Station located 4 miles due south. Capt. John J. Neary, Jr.   Serving 1955 – 1997 Capt. Walter H. Fricke   Serving 1971 – 1989 Capt. Carl T. Ohrn   Serving 1972 – 1992 Capt. Vernon D. Dunlap   Serving 1955 – 1994 Capt. Robert E. Larson   Serving 1953 – 1994 — Map (db m48988) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Rochambeau
[ Left Marker : ]On June eighteenth, 1781, General Rochambeau left Newport with his army to join the American forces on the Hudson, and on August nineteenth, 1781, the combined armies under command of General Washington began their victorious march to Yorktown.*   *   * This tablet presented by Forsyth – Wickes [ Right & Back Markers : ]To Jean Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur Count de Rochambeau Marshal of France 1725 – 1807, Commander-in-Chief of the French Army . . . — Map (db m48054) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Rosecliff & Its Neighbors: Fading Glamour & Modern Revival
The 1940s brought enormous change to houses on this block of Bellevue Avenue as Gilded Age glamour faded due to demolitions, fire, and acquisition of many properties for use by schools. Increasing income and real estate taxes and a changing lifestyle in post-World War II America made the grand houses of Newport appear as relics from another era. Newport was seen as a fading beauty. Built in 1902 for an estimated $2 million, Rosecliff sold in 1941 for only $21,000. Whitney Cottage, to the north . . . — Map (db m48598) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Rough Point & Its Neighbors: Preserved Houses
This part of Bellevue Avenue reflects the architectural variety of 19th century Newport houses, from the Gothic Revival and Second Empire French villas of the early 1850s to the Stick Style cottages of the 1870s and the Beaux Arts Classical mansions of the 1880s and 90s. Many of these houses were continually remodeled in order to keep up with changing architectural tastes in a summer resort renowned as a center of fashionable life. Today, these buildings survive as examples of architectural . . . — Map (db m48591) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Rovensky Park & Its Neighbors: Open Space Preserved
Endowed with spectacular natural scenery and a gentle climate, Newport was a gardener’s paradise. This section of Bellevue Avenue reflects the rich horticultural heritage of the city and centuries of garden design, estate development, and land conservation. Beaulieu’s extensive acreage was continually subdivided to make way for more summer cottages. The Widener family demolished three Victorian cottages to build the grand Miramar estate, famed for its formal French gardens. Today, Rovensky . . . — Map (db m48616) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — S/V MarquesLost at Sea — June 3, 1984
In memoriam Stuart Finlay           Susan Peterson Howell Captain                     Counselor Crew and Trainees Jan Brims • Benjamin Bryant • Aloma Finlay • Christopher Finlay • Janis Gravleis • Jack Heath • Thelma Heath • Rodney Hector • Thomas LeBel • Andrea Lee • Carl Mason • James McAleer • Peter Messer-Bennetts • Augustine Nathaniel • Clyde Raybowen • Stanley Seon • Gillian Shaughnessy Requiescant in Pace — Map (db m48985) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Samuel Bours Housec. 1777 — NRF
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66360) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Southwest Battery
During the late 19th century the Southwest battery was the advanced position for directing fire against the enemy’s warships. It was here that the giant Rodman cannons hurled their massive 15’ projectiles, each weighing over 300 pounds, to a range of two and one-half miles. From this location, it is also possible to see remnants of Fort Adams’ role during World War II. The entire coastal defense of southeastern New England was commanded from Fort Adams. An anti-submarine net was stretched . . . — Map (db m48143) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — The Breakers
Built 1893 - 1895 has been designated a National Historic Landmark This building possesses National significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1994 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m76659) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — The Colony House
Because of its commitment to religious toleration, Newport had no established church during the colonial period. There was no Puritan meeting house on the town square as was the norm elsewhere in New England. Instead, the Colony House and the Brick Market at opposite ends of the Parade symbolize the importance of commerce and politics in colonial Newport. The street behind the Colony House is Broadway, named a National Main Street by the National Trust for Historic Preservation in 1998, and . . . — Map (db m48556) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — The Colony House / The State House
The Colony House 1739 – 1776 The State House 1776 – 1900 Here the Assembly met and the governors were inaugurated until 1900 — Map (db m48090) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — The Irish Connection to Fort Adams
Problem . . . Insufficient workforce to build a Fortress. The solution would come from Ireland. Five hundred families came to not only escape famine and economic hardship, but here they obtained the freedoms they so longed for in their homeland. Fort Adams is a main reason for Newport’s very substantial Irish population today. — Map (db m48703) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — The New Jersey Housec. 1800 — NRF Founded by Doris Duke 1968
This Property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior. — Map (db m66362) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — The Rocky Shore
This rocky outcrop is sometimes eroded by waves powerful enough to tear a hole in them. Colonies of small marine animals living on the shore, however, can withstand these forces. Some withdraw into narrow crevices, others attach themselves permanently to the rocks. These creatures can survive not only the pounding surf at high tide, but also the harsh conditions of life out of water. The retreating tide exposes them to the drying summer sun and the freezing temperatures of winter. On hot . . . — Map (db m48463) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — The Tree of LibertyWilliam Ellery Park
To commemorate the repeal of the Stamp Act in March 1766, William Read deeded a small triangle of land at this site where grew the original Tree of Liberty, to William Ellery and others in trust. This tree was cut down by British occupation forces soon after their arrival on December 6, 1776. A new tree was planted in April, 1783 by a group of thirteen citizens named on a copper plate placed on the tree in 1823 which is now in the Newport Historical Society Museum. The present tree was . . . — Map (db m48095) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Three Tiers of Firepower
The Fast Passage provides easy entry to Narragansett Bay. So in wartime, an enemy fleet could have sailed right into Newport, with cannons blazing! To answer this potential threat, Fort Adams focused its firepower here on the west wall. Top tier aimed to take down the mast and rigging. These guns could fire cannon balls linked by chains and bars that could cut the halyards, smash rigging and shred the sails. Center tier swept the decks with cannon balls and even grape shot at close range. . . . — Map (db m48133) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Tom Robinson House
Home of Quaker Tom Robinson and his descendants since 1759. Headquarters of Vicomte de Noailles, 1780-81 — Map (db m48099) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Touro Synagogue
The results of the religious toleration upon which Newport was founded are nowhere more evident than in the houses of worship clustered within a few hundred feet of this location: Touro Synagogue, the Seventh Day Baptist Meeting House, the United Baptist Church, and the former Zion Episcopal Church (now the Jane Pickens Theater). Nowhere else in colonial New England did so many different congregations live in such close and harmonious proximity. 72 Touro Street Touro Synagogue 1763 . . . — Map (db m48580) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Touro SynagogueNational Historic Site
Touro Synagogue of Jeshuat Israel Congregation Founded 1658 Ths oldest synagogue building in the United States was designed by Peter Harrison. Ground was broken August 1, 1759. It was dedicated on December 2, 1763. Here, 1781-84 The Rhode Island General Assembly met, and during Washington’s visit to Newport in 1781 a town meeting was held here. The State Supreme Court held sessions here at that period. The building was reopened for religious services on August 2, 1850. In 1790 George Washington . . . — Map (db m48698) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — U.S.S. Bennington CVA-20
In memory of our shipmates and members of Air Task Group 181 lost in an accidental explosion on the USS Bennington while operating off the coast of Rhode Island on May 26, 1954 [ List of those killed in the explosion. ] “As long as there is one left in whom your memory remains, you are not forgotten.”           Dedicated on May 26, 2004          USS Bennington Reunion Association          Families, Friends, Shipmates. — Map (db m48623) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Understanding the FortFort Adams
This model of Fort Adams provides an overview of the Fort’s design, including the main structure and the outworks for land defense. The drawings of the Fort show details of its construction and reveal the complexity of its design along with the terminology in use at the time of its construction. The plans reveal the Fort’s multiple layers of defense, and its orientation to maximize firepower to guard the East Passage of Narragansett Bay. — Map (db m66374) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Washington Square
Washington Square, originally called the Mall and later the Parade, is ringed by buildings constructed over two centuries. The Square reflects Newport’s transformation from a rudimentary outpost to one of the five major trading posts in colonial North America. Originally a prestigious residential, business, and civic area, it was overshadowed by Bellevue Avenue in the Gilded Age. In recent years, with the creation of The Museum of Newport History, and the work of the Washington Square Advisory . . . — Map (db m48545) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — White Horse Tavern1673
“America’s Oldest Tavern” Yearly gathering place of the members of the Colonial Legislature — Map (db m48097) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Newport — Wilbour-Ellery House1801
This property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m48691) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Portsmouth — Battle of Rhode Island   1778
During the American Revolution the British strategy focused on controlling American ports and blockading the coast. Because of Newport’s significance as a deep-water port and as a center of trade, British forces landed in Newport in December of 1776 to occupy the city and the outlying farms of Middletown and Portsmouth with a garrison of 6,100 British and German mercenary troops. The Americans also understood Newport’s strategic significance and planned to recapture it. By mid 1778 the plans . . . — Map (db m48348) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Portsmouth — Butts Hill Fort
These fortifications erected by the British 1777 were occupied by the Americans 1778, becoming the island base of the Continental Army under General Sullivan in the Battle of Rhode Island. They are now consecrated to the immortal memory of those brave men who upon August 29, 1778. withstood the assaults of the more numerous, highly trained British Army under General Pigot. ---------- Dedicated to posterity by the Newport Historical Society August 29, 1923. — Map (db m48069) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Portsmouth — Garden of New England
The Use of the Land The scenic landscape that can be seen from this vantage point has had a rich and vibrant history. The Narragansett Indians inhabited this area of Rhode Island for thousands of years before its discovery by European explorers. The Narragansett tribe was part of the greater Algonquin-speaking community which flourished in the northeast. They followed a tradition of highly sophisticated land use where individual families received allotments of land from the sachem (tribal . . . — Map (db m48738) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Portsmouth — Portsmouth Compact1638-1936
Erected to honor the memory and perpetuate the spirit and ideals of the founders of the first government in the world to allow and to insure to its citizens civil and religious liberty. Established on this Site in the Year 1638 Portsmouth Compact We whose names are underwritten do here solemnly in the presence of Jehovah incorporate ourselves into a Bodie Politick and as he shall help, will submit our persons, lives and estates unto our Lord Jesus Christ, the King of Kings, . . . — Map (db m29736) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Portsmouth — Site of the Battle of Rhode Island
has been designated a --------------------------------- National Historic Landmark ---------------------------------- This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America 1975 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m48094) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Portsmouth — The 1st Rhode Island Regiment and the Battle of Rhode Island
The 1st Rhode Island Regiment of the Continental Line 1775 – 1783 The war for American Independence was a long and arduous struggle that demanded much of the American people. Rhode Island responded to those demands with patriotic fervor, enduring the dangers and deprivations of invasion and occupation at home, while sending soldiers to almost every major campaign throughout the war. Some of the most noteworthy contributions were made by African-Americans, Indians, and by members of . . . — Map (db m48374) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Portsmouth — The Black RegimentBattle of Rhode Island
Bloody Run Brook, First Black Militia, R. Island Regt. August 29, 1778. In honor of the first Black slaves and freemen who fought in the Battle of Rhode Island as members of the First Rhode Island Regiment The Black Regiment — Map (db m8407) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Portsmouth — W 3 R
Washington Rochambeau Revolutionary Route March To Victory 1781 – 1782 ← — Map (db m48976) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Tiverton — Fort Barton
The earthen mounds on this site are the original fortifications that defended Tiverton against British forces that occupied Aquidneck Island. With hand tools & human toil colonists dug the breastworks then pulled artillery pieces up the hill to the redoubt. Please enoy your visit in a way that preserves the sanctity of the place. — Map (db m48078) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Tiverton — Fort Barton
Through the unrelenting efforts of Dr. James W. Holt, Jr. Fort Barton was preserved. It was given to the town of Tiverton by the Newport Historical Society in 1968. In 1777 the site was fortified by the colonial army to defend against British troops then occupying Aquidneck Island, and from here was launched an ill-fated invasion in 1778, which came to be known as the Battle of Rhode Island. The restoration of the redoubt and the development of adjacent woodland trails was planned and . . . — Map (db m48225) HM
Rhode Island (Newport County), Tiverton — Holt’s Trail
By the sincerity of his dedication and perseverance Dr. James W. Holt, Jr. motivated by the love for his community and the understanding of his environment, has served to preserve here an unspoiled display of our historical foundation which will ensure that all generations remember, believe and respect the value and beauty of their freedom. Red designated trail to be known from this date as Holt’s Trail Dedicated May 15, 1977 Tiverton Town Council — Map (db m48873) HM
93 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 277 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.