|Indiana (Noble County), Albion — Noble County Seat|
| Albion - Noble County Seat
The Center - later named Albion was chosen the Seat of Noble County Indiana by the vote of its citizens in August 1846.
Since that time three courthouses have been located on this square.
The first which opened in 1847, burned down in 1859.
The second became inadequate for the county’s needs and was torn down.
It was replaced by a three-story brick and stone Richardson Romanesque building completed in 1889.
Buried behind this . . . — Map (db m53950) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Albion — 57.1999.1 — Noble County Seat / Noble County Courthouse|
|Noble County formed by General Assembly 1836, named after James Noble first US Senator from Indiana. County seats Sparta 1836, Augusta, 1837, Port Mitchell 1844. Center later named Albion selected 1846 as county seat in runoff election. Arrival of railroad in 1874 brought prosperity and major construction on courthouse square circa 1880–1890.
First courthouse (1847) destroyed by fire replaced by two-story brick structure, 1860. This courthouse, third on the site, built . . . — Map (db m3387) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Albion — Noble County Veterans Memorial|
|This tablet has been placed here by the Veterans Organizations of Noble County Indiana, to honor the Veterans of past wars, “Who gave their last full measure of devotion”.
May 29, 1988 — Map (db m53949) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Indian Village — 57.1967.1 — Chief Papakeecha’s House — ← one quarter mile south|
|Built in 1827 by Federal Government on 36-section reservation for $562; later destroyed by “great wind.” Papakeecha (Flat Belly) was a Miami leader, 1820 to his death in 1837, shortly before the Miami removal. — Map (db m3385) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Indian Village — 57.1967.2 — Indian Ovens — 80 Rods East →|
|Here at a fireplace or oven on the east shore of Indian Village Lake those Miamis that had comprised Papakeecha’s Band prepared their last meal before leaving tribal lands c. 1839. — Map (db m3384) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Kendallville — 57.1963.1 — Camp Mitchell|
|Civil War training camp for the then 10th Congressional District was located at Kendallville. The 12th Indiana Cavalry and the 129th Volunteer Infantry were organized and trained here. — Map (db m3386) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Kendallville — Civil War Memorial Cannon|
|This cannon refurbished and maintained by VFW 2749 and American Legion 86 to preserve the memories of our veterans’ sacrifices in all wars
Dedicated November 11, 1992 — Map (db m63845) WM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Kendallville — Lakeview Cemetery — Cemetery Heritage|
A Historic Cemetery Listed in Indiana's Cemetery and Burial Grounds Registry of the Indiana Department of Natural Resources
Installed 2008 Indiana Historical Bureau and City of Kendallville — Map (db m68837) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Ahavath Scholom Temple — (Lovers of Peace)|
|Dedicated: September 1889
Last Jewish Service was held in 1954
The Ligonier Historical Society held a ceremony commemorating the 100th anniversary of the dedication of the Jewish temple, and rededicated it as the Ligonier Historical Museum on Sunday, September 17, 1989.
This building is listed on the
National Register of Historic Places — Map (db m72842) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Ben Glaser — 1893 - 1980|
|Born in Austria. Came to Ligonier in 1917 as a Jewish peddler, selling a variety of used items including car parts. He opened an auto dealership of Chevrolet, Pontiac, and Oldsmobile until 1955 when son Joseph took over the business. — Map (db m72840) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Frederick W. Straus — 1833 - 1898|
|Came to Ligonier as a Jewish peddler in 1854. He became a retailer, buggy manufacturer, a banker and realtor. He was known as a fair and honest man. His buggy factory known as the Ligonier Carriage Co. was in the Essex Wire building that was torn down in 2008. He established the Citizens bank at 227 S. Cavin Street. — Map (db m72838) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Isaac Cavin — 1807 - 1884|
|Born in Ligonier, Pennsylvania. He purchased 80 acres of ground along the river for 75 silver dollars. He platted the town of Ligonier in 1835. The beautiful Seth Thomas clock was donated to the city by John Cavin in memory of his father. — Map (db m72837) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — Solomon Mier — 1833 - 1910|
|Came to Ligonier as a Jewish peddler in 1854. He became a banker, realtor, retailer, carriage and auto manufacturer. His care was named the Mier Runabout. He established the Banking House of Solomon Mier at 310 S. Cavin Street. — Map (db m72839) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Ligonier — The Ligonier Train Depot|
|The railroad came to Ligonier in 1858 and was then called the Michigan Southern and Northern Indiana Railroad. Later the New York Central purchased the railroad line and a new depot for passenger service was built. The yard surrounding the depot was landscaped with a large buckeye tree used for shade. Many of our Jewish settlers would use the railroad on weekends to go Chicago and Toledo returning on Sunday evenings. — Map (db m72841) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Rome City — 57.2013.1 — Gene Stratton-Porter|
Best-selling author, Stratton-Porter (1863-1924) aimed to inspire appreciation of nature in readers. Lived and worked at Limberlost Cabin, Geneva, then Wildflower Woods, here. Wrote for magazines such as Outing and Ladies' Home Journal. Published photographs and studies of life in nearby woods and swamps. Her novels blended fiction with vivid descriptions of nature.
Ten million copies of her books sold by 1924, including . . . — Map (db m68226) HM|
|Indiana (Noble County), Rome City — 57.1992.1 — Sylvan Lake|
|Created 1837-1838 as reservoir for proposed canal link between Fort Wayne and Lake Michigan. Part of 1836 internal improvements program. Popular resort area; site of Chautauqua, 1878-1906. Provided hydraulic power. Earthen dam on Elkhart River impounds 630 acres of water. — Map (db m44954) HM|