HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Norfolk County Markers
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Brookline — Anderson Carriage House
Anderson Carriage House c. 1889 One of the most magnificent surviving carriage houses in New England, the Anderson Carriage House was designed by Edmund Wheelwright, former city architect of Boston, for the summer estate of William Fletcher Weld II. Its design was inspired by the Chateau Chaumont in France's Loire Valley. The luxurious stable room included a suspended ceiling and marble-lined stalls. Weld sold the estate to his cousin Isabel and her husband, Larz Anderson, in 1899. Isabel . . . — Map (db m33022) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Brookline — Putterham School
Putterham School c. 1768 The only remaining eighteenth-century schoolhouse in Brookline, Putterham School was built to serve the farm families of South Brookline. Classes were held at this one-room schoolhouse for more than 150 years. Around 1850, a stove was added, and the building was enlarged to accommodate a woodshed and privies. Typically, about fifteen students attended the school, sometimes for as little as three months a year, owing to the demands of farm life. In 1966, the . . . — Map (db m33020) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Canton — Birthplace of U.S. Copper Industry
In this building in 1801 Paul Revere-famed " Midnight Rider" Patriot and silversmith- founded an industry as well as a business. Here he rolled copper successfully for the first time in America. Thus beginning one of the most vital industries in this country. The business he established here under the Revere family name grown into the nation's largest and oldest independent copper fabricator. Revere Copper and Brass Incorporated — Map (db m56048) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Canton — Canton Viaduct
Constructed in 1835 National Register of Historic Places Placed by Canton Historical Commission Dedicated July 4th 1993 National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark Designated by the American society of Civil Engineers Dedicated in 1999 The Canton viaduct is one of the two oldest surviving multiple arch stone railroad bridges still in active mainline use in the United States — Map (db m52387) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Canton — Ponkapoag Plantation — 1630 - 1930
The north line of Ponkapoag Plantation second of the Apostle Eliot's Praying Indian towns, set apart by the Dorchester Proprietors in 1657. — Map (db m48803) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Cohasset — Antoine and Wilson Memorial
Dedicated to the memory of Joseph Antoine and Joseph Wilson, keepers of the first Minot Ledge Lighthouse who, while manning the Light on the night of Apr. 17, 1851, lost their lives when the lighthouse was swept into the sea during a violent northeast storm. “They kept a good light.” — Map (db m42104) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Cohasset — Minot's Ledge Lighthouse — Built 1855–1860
On this site 3,514 tons of Quincy granite were hewn into 1,079 dovetailed blocks whose final weight totalled 2,367 tons. On the two circular forms seen here, the cut stones were carefully assembled to assure perfect fit; then disassembled and transported to Minot’s Ledge where they were erected to form the 114 foot Lighthouse which still stands. Restored by the Cohasset Historical Society 1967 — Map (db m42102) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — Dedham — 1630 - 1930
Settled in 1636 by people from Watertown and Roxbury. In early years the town extended to the Rhode Island line. — Map (db m48173) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — Dedham Boat Club
Founded April 25, 1874 "For promoting the boating interests of the town" Incorporated October 29th 1874 First boathouse built on Ames Street site in 1875. Destroyed by lightning in July 1882. Second boathouse built on this site in 1883, Enlarged in 1888, and 1902. torn down in May 1935 The land which the boathouse stood given to the Dedham Historical Society May 1st 1935 Liquidated with honor on the sixtieth anniversary of it incorporation October 29th 1934 — Map (db m56100) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — Fairbanks House — 1630 - 1930
Oldest house in Dedham, a part of it built about 1636. Homestead of Jonathan Fairbanks, who, with his sons John, George, and Jonathan, Junior, signed the Dedham Covenant September 10, 1636. Ancestral home of the late Vice- President Fairbanks. — Map (db m48808) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — The Powder House
The Powder House Built by the Town 1766 — Map (db m56095) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Dedham — Vietnam War Memorial — John A. Barnes III — Vietnam War Congressional Medal of Honor Recipient
Dedicated to the men and women of Dedham who served their country with honor and Valor and the lasting memory of those who gave their lives during the Vietnam War.

PFC John A. Barnes III, U.S. Army 12 Nov. 1967, Awarded Congressional Medal of Honor L.CPL Bernard F. Dutton Jr., U.S.M.C., 3 July 1968 Sp4 Angelo D. Larraga, U.S. Army, 9 Aug. 1970 1ST LT. Frank E. Litchfield, U.S. Army, 5 Aug 1969 PFC Neal R. Thalin, U.S.M.C., 2 June 1967 PFC Robert J. Todd, U.S.M.C., MI 2 May 1967 — Map (db m62533) WM

Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxboro — East Foxborough
Settled by members of the Atherton, Boyden, Hodges, Morse, Pratt, Robbins and other families, This section was known as Robbins Corner for many years. The identity changed with the arrival of the railroad and the establishment of East Foxboro Depot and Post Office. A sense of community focused on the Pratt School, the East Foxboro Community Club and a chapel. Claiming an unequal distribution of tax benefits by the more heavily populated center of town, residents waged an unsuccessful effort in . . . — Map (db m55869) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxboro — First Settler / Roads and Boundaries
First Settler The first dwelling in what would become Foxborough was erected in 1669. It was located west of nearby Wading River on a farm laid out for Captain William Hudson who was a Boston tavern keeper. Hudson never lived here, but leased the property, first to Richard George and then to John Daniell. Hudson sold his farm in 1676 to Thomas Platt who in turn leased it to Thomas Brintnall of Chelsea. In 1689, a grandson of Thomas, Samuel Brintnall Jr., became the first white child born . . . — Map (db m55866) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxboro — Memorial Hall
Proud of those who fought and died in the Civil War, as well as those who assisted the war effort in so many ways, the people of Foxborough wanted a more suitable monument than just a tablet as a symbol of their appreciation. In 1868 they erected Memorial Hall at a cost of $10,000 and dedicated it to all those whose lives were touched by war. Tablets inside the building honor the Patriots of 1776, Veterans of 1812 as well as the Civil War. The building was home to the Boyden library from 1871 . . . — Map (db m55877) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxboro — Wading River Farm
Wading River Farm Location of First house in Foxborough 1670 — Map (db m55854) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Centre Burial Ground
In 1783, Nehemiah Carpenter, Samuel Baker and Jeremiah Hartshorn conveyed to the selectmen and their successors in office forever four acres of land on which the meeting house had been built for use as a town common. Mr. Carpenter also gave one hundred and eleven rods of land near the meeting house for a centre burial ground. As the deed was signed Nehemiah noted the piece of land given by him for a burying place is for that, and that only. Several graves would later be removed to Rock Hill . . . — Map (db m55878) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Entering Baker Street Historic District
The homes on Baker Street represent people and diverse architecture from two significant periods of Foxborough history, the 19th century straw hat era and the 20th century transition to industrial manufacturing. — Map (db m55872) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Foxborough State Hospital Cemetery
Not all patients of the Massachusetts Hospital for Dipsomaniacs and Inebriates or its successor, the Foxboro State Hospital, had known family contacts or families able to provide for their burial. To insure a proper final resting place, the commonwealth of Massachusetts purchased a large number of lots at Rock Hill cemetery for that purpose. As needs increased in the great depression, this cemetery was created in 1933 and subsequently expanded that those who remained in state care even in death would have the dignity of a proper burial. — Map (db m55873) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Lakeview
Hervey Pettee built a thread mill at this site in 1813. A spring freshet in 1831 washed out the dam and ruined the factory. A stone structure soon replaced it. Charles Freeman & Son later operated a wool scouring mill. The flood of Feb. 2, 1886 tore out the dam and portions of the mill later operated by Alexander Ross.

Lake View Park opened by the Ross family July 4, 1906. The Norfolk & Bristol Electric Railroad spur line to the ballroom was discontinued in 1919. Lakeview was a popular . . . — Map (db m55874) HM

Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Morseville
Populated by members of the Morse family since the early 1700's, this section of Foxborough was known as Morseville. By 1737, Jedediah Morse had dammed the Neponset River forming Crack Rock Pond and built both a saw mill and a bloomery forge near this spot. Leonard Morse operated a hoe factory in the mid-1800's. B F. Boyden and Sons later had a grist mill at the same privilege. A sense of community that centered on the Plimpton School for elementary students was further enhanced by the arrival . . . — Map (db m55879) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Paineburgh-Foxvale
Originally settled as Paineburgh, taking its name from the many members of the Paine family who settled here, this section of Foxborough had a strong sense of community with its own elementary school, chapel, railroad station and Post Office. Railroad officials requested a change of name for the depot in 1888 to avoid confusion with similar names. The name of the post office was also changed. Improvements in local transportation brought about a decline in passenger rail service and the depot . . . — Map (db m55870) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — The Dorchester School Farm — Town of Foxborough Incorporated 1778
To help support its public school,Dorchester set aside a 650 acre farm in this vicinity which it leased in 1710 to Robert Calef for a total of 308 years. Solomon Hews was operating a tavern here in 1728 when governor William Burnet and the contingent escorting him from Bristol to Boston stopped here for refreshments. Hews lost the farm by foreclosure and it was broken up in 1772. The old tavern was demolished long ago. — Map (db m55885) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — The Lodge at Foxborough
Is built upon portions of the estate of Ebenezer Warren, who answered the call in the battle Lexington April 19, 1775. He served in the American revolution with two brothers, general Joseph Warren, later killed at the battle of Bunker Hill, and doctor John Warren. Ebenezer and his wife, Mary Tucker Warren, came to Foxborough in 1779 where he served as moderator, selectman, and on the school committee to establish school districts. He served many years in the state legislature and was a member . . . — Map (db m55871) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — The Reservoir on Powder House Hill / The Town House
The Reservoir on Powder House Hill The circular granite structure to the rear of the town hall lot is the reservoir erected by Union Straw Works in 1858. A windmill provided power to draw water up from the reservoir which was then gravity fed to the factory on Wall Street. Plans by the Foxborough Historical Society to use the facility as a museum in 1909 proved unworkable.

Earlier, the reservoir site was occupied by a powder house. It was erected in 1804 when voters decided to stop . . . — Map (db m55875) HM

Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — The Town Lot
Here in unmarked graves lie the poor, the destitute, the strangers known only to God. Struck down by death in our midst, they were afforded the decency of a proper burial by a caring community. Some were residents of the town's poor farm. Others were from families simply too poor to afford a burial place of their own while still others were strangers never identified. When Rock Hill Cemetery was laid out in 1853, the Foxborough Cemetery Corporation set aside this section in which the town could . . . — Map (db m38449) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Foxborough — Union Straw Works / Birth of the Straw Hat Industry
Union Straw Works Members of the Carpenter family became engaged in various straw manufacturing operations. In 1843 they built the Great Bonnet Shop at 18-22 Wall Street and in 1845 the Hamlet House at 12-16 Wall St. Erastus P. Carpenter then proposed that many small manufacturing operations in town should be combined into one large company that could dominate the industry. In 1853 the Union Straw Works was erected on this site. It became the world's largest straw manufacturing operation . . . — Map (db m55881) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Franklin — Birthplace of Horace Mann
Pioneer of the Public School System Born May 4, 1796 — Map (db m60494) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Franklin — Korean Conflict Memorial
27 June 1950 • 31 January 1955

Dedicated to the men and women of Franklin who served their country when the democracy of a free people was threatened. — Map (db m61265) WM

Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Franklin — Operation Iraqi Freedom Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of Franklin who served their country in the pursuit of a free Iraq. 20 March 2003 We commemorate and shall remember those who gave their lives on our behalf. — Map (db m61263) WM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Franklin — The Spanish American War Memorial
April 21, 1898 In remembrance of the men of Franklin who volunteered to serve in the war against Spain because of: · Conflict of Spanish policies threatening the United States power in the western hemisphere · Mysterious Sinking of the U.S. Battleship "Maine" in Havana Harbor · Inhuman treatment of the Cuban people by the Spanish Military · Great loss of American investments in Cuba

(Memorial contains the names of volunteers) Map (db m61369) WM

Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Franklin — Vietnam Conflict Memorial
5 August 1964 • 7 May 1975 Dedicated by the people of Franklin to honor those who served their country during hostilities in Vietnam. — Map (db m61264) WM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Franklin — World War I Memorial
This Monument is dedicated to those who left their daily tasks among us to fight and die if needed be that freedom may live. Those who have made the supreme sacrifice in the World War

Lawrence J. Clark • Edward L. Grant • James R. Murray • Elijam M. Coldwell • Albert E.Johnson • Emilio P. Daddario • W. Franklin Lynch • Levi Peri • Jay Stone Davis • Alfred L. Mucciarone • Patrick Ristaino • Frank J. Smith — Map (db m61262) WM

Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Franklin — World War II Memorial
7 December 1941 • 31 December 1946 Dedicated to the honor and sacrifice of the men and women of Franklin who answered their country's call when hostile nations made unprovoked attacks upon free nations of the world. — Map (db m61261) WM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Medfield — Peak House — 1630 - 1930
The original house, built in 1651, was burned when King Philip's Indians burnt the town of Medfield in 1676. Seth Clark, the owner, received indemnity from the colonial government and in 1680 rebuilt the present Peak house, so called because of its architecture. — Map (db m48797) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Milton — Indian Trail — 1630 - 1930
Churchill's Lane. When the Indians sold their land near the mouth of the Neponset River they removed to the territory south of the Blue Hills, which they called Ponkapoag, sweet water. — Map (db m48814) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Abigail Adams — Adams Nat’l Hist Park — Quincy, Mass
“Improve your understanding for acquiring useful knowledge and virtue, such as will render you an ornament to society, an Honour to your Country, and a Blessing to Your parents.” Abigail Adams in a letter to her 10-year-old son, John Quincy Adams, in Europe. Abigail Adams was a determined and intelligent woman and one of history’s most renowned and prolific letter writers. She holds the distinction of being the wife of the second U.S. President, John Adams, and the . . . — Map (db m18502) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Adams National Historical Park
John Adams John Quincy Adams Birthplaces — Map (db m40653) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Hancock Cemetery — The Old Burial Ground
. . . — Map (db m31249) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Henry Adams
Here lyeth the body of Henry Adams founder of the Braintree branch of the Adams family in America buried in this cemetery Oct. 8, 1646 — Map (db m31253) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — John Adams
Farmer Lawyer Patriot Diplomat First Vice President Second President of the United States Side of Monument: There is danger from all men. The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public Liberty. — Map (db m18052) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Moswetuset Hummock — 1630 - 1930
Moswetuset Hummock was the seat of Chickatawbut, Sagamore of the Massachusetts Indians; adjoining were their planting grounds. "Massachusetts" means "at the Great (Blue) Hills." With Chickatawbut Governor Winthrop made a treaty which was never broken. — Map (db m48818) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — Old House — Adams National Historical Park
National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior [ Back of marker ] “It is but the farm of a Patriot” • • • • • John Adams,   1788 — Map (db m40652) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — The Men of Quincy, Mass.
In Grateful Remembrance of The Men of Quincy, Mass. formerly called Braintree who on land and sea fought to establish the independence of the United States of America in The Revolution of 1775-1783 Ebenezer Adams • Daniel Arnold • Hezekiah Bass • Jonathan Bass • Joseph Bass • Josiah Bass • Edward Willard Baxter • Jonathan Baxter • Joseph Baxter • Seth Baxter • William Baxter • Joseph Beal • Elijah Belcher • Edmund Billings • Ebenezer Brackett • James Brackett Jr. • Joseph Brackett • Moses . . . — Map (db m31244) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — United First Parish Church
Within this church are the tombs of two Presidents of the United States and their wives John Adams – Second President 1735 1826 Abigail Adams 1744 1818 their son John Quincy Adams – Sixth President 1767 1848 Louisa Catherine Adams 1775 1852 — Map (db m18051) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Quincy — William Hutchinson's Grant — 1630 - 1930
In William Hutchinson's house near this spot his wife Anne tarried on her way to Rhode Island, exiled from Massachusetts by the General Court in April, 1638. — Map (db m48816) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Qunicy — The Granite Railway
National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark. The Granite Railway Designated by the American Society of Civil Engineers 1976 This marker commemorates the 150th anniversary of the ground breaking for the first commercial railroad in the United States Dedicated by the City of Quincy April 1, 1976 — Map (db m49466) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), South Weymouth — A4D-2 (A-4B) Skyhawk — Shea Field Memorial Grove
On June 12, 1952, the U.S. Navy contracted with Douglas Aircraft Company to build one prototype XA4D-1 Skyhawk attack aircraft. Before delivery of the A4D to fleet units, an improved version, the A4D-2 was ordered into production. This Skyhawk (Bureau Number 142940) was flown from Naval Air Station South Weymouth by Marine and Navy Reserve Attack squadrons through much of the 1960’s. It was one of 542 of the “B” version (designations were changed in the 1960’s) to roll off the . . . — Map (db m66307) WM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), South Weymouth — History of NAS South Weymouth — Shea Field Memorial Grove
Naval Air Station South Weymouth was a U.S. Navy installation from 1942 to 1997. It was established as a blimp base during the Second World War. Later, during the post-war era, NAS South Weymouth hosted a changing variety of regular Navy, Navy Reserve and Marine Corps Reserve units. Originally, NAS South Weymouth had two enormous blimp hangers, one steel-framed and the other almost entirely made of wool. These hangers were among the largest structures in the world at that time. On . . . — Map (db m66309) WM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), South Weymouth — Shea Field Memorial Grove
Shea Field Memorial Grove was conceived by Captain Robert A. Duetsch, the last Commanding Officer of Naval Air Station, South Weymouth. The Grove has been created to remember CDR Jack Shea; to remember the Naval Air Stations Squantum and South Weymouth; dedicated to CDR Shea’s memory; to remember the dedicated men and women who served at these Air Stations and those men who gave so much and earned the Congressional Medal of Honor. The Grove consists of 32 trees dedicated to Medal of Honor . . . — Map (db m66277) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Walpole — Old Meeting House Common
Site of Walpole's first houses of God, Those of Reverend Philip Payson and Reverend George Morey, Early Harvard Graduates.

O Zion Mount of pleading, our forefathers earlier shrine. Though now shorn of crest and hillsides art thou "Auld Lang Syne" Twilight memories. — Map (db m56102) HM

Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Wollaston — Sailors Home Cemetery
Sailors Home Cemetery-This cemetery, the last remnant of the National Sailors’ Home in Quincy contains the remains of at least 119 veterans of this country’s Civil War. The Home located on 6 ½ acres in Wollaston, operated as a farm for 66 years, from 1866 to 1931. Established primarily for veteran sailors and marines, the home also provided refuge for former soldiers. — Map (db m62458) WM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Wrentham — First Meeting House in Wrentham
This stone is the door-step and now marks the site of the first Meeting House in Wrentham erected in 1684 that the people might have a suitable place to attend the worship of God. Here the townsmen held their meetings and to this spot they were summoned in time of danger — Map (db m56105) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Wrentham — First Wrentham School House
Near this spot stood the first Wrentham School House built in 1702-1703. Theodore Mann, son of Samuel Mann, first minister of Wrentham was chosen by the selectmen, in behalf of the town, to keep the school — Map (db m56106) HM
Massachusetts (Norfolk County), Wrentham — Helen Adams Keller
A symbol of strength, courage, and determination Born June 1880 - Dedicated June 1980 "I shall always think of Wrentham as my home" — Map (db m56103) HM
55 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 139 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.