HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Nottoway County Markers
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — Battle of Nottoway
“…the mingled roar of the musketry, and heavy lumbering of the artillery, seemed to rend the whole heavens…” At this railroad cut on June 23, 1864, 3,500 Union cavalrymen commanded by Gen. James H. Wilson fought a Confederate cavalry force of 2,000 under Gen. W.H. Fitzhugh Lee. The savage, 9-hour battle was the first major engagement of the Wilson-Kautz Raid, a Union cavalry expedition intended to destroy railroads supplying Confederate forces besieged at Petersburg. . . . — Map (db m6509) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — Battle of NottowayLee's Retreat — June 23, 1864
This was the first in a series of raids from Petersburg led by Union Generals James Wilson and August Kautz. The purpose of the raid was to destroy portions of the South Side and Richmond & Danville Railroads and curtail the use of these supply lines by Lee’s army. — Map (db m18521) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — Black’s and White’s StationConfederate Detour — Wilson – Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V. Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling stock. Kautz’s force passed here on June 23 on the way to Burkeville. Wilson’s force, close behind, destroyed three warehouses containing cotton as well as railroad track, ties, and other supplies here. Before leaving, Wilson was given incorrect . . . — Map (db m14765) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — K 172 — Blackstone
Blackstone was first known as Blacks and Whites, after two rival late 18th-century taverns. One of these taverns, Schwartz (Blacks) Tavern, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, still stands. The town was renamed for the English jurist Sir William Blackstone and incorporated in 1888. The Battle of the Grove, a Civil War cavalry action, was fought just west of here on 23 June 1864. The United Methodist Assembly Center, formerly the Blackstone College for Girls, is located here. At . . . — Map (db m18879) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — K 174 — Blackstone College
Three blocks south is the campus of the former Blackstone Female Institute, after 1915 Blackstone College for Girls, a teacher-training school that opened in 1894 with some 75 students including 29 boarders. James Cannon Jr., a controversial Methodist bishop and prohibitionist, twice served as chief administrator (1894-1911, 1914-1918). In 1906, U.S. Steel magnate Andrew Carnegie donated money to expand the main building. The Beaux-Arts president's home, called The Gables, was built in 1915. . . . — Map (db m19004) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — 18 — Blackstone Female InstituteBlackstone, Virginia — Nottoway County
The Blackstone Female Institute was conceived in 1891 by George Pierce Adams, a Blackstone merchant, and Joshua Soule Hunter, a Methodist minister. Originally designed as a school to prepare young female students to enter Randolph-Macon Women’s College, it was founded more than a decade before the establishment of a public high school system in Virginia. James Cannon Jr., who became a nationally known bishop of the Methodist Church and influential prohibitionist, was the first principal and . . . — Map (db m31045) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — K 175 — Creation of Camp Pickett
Late in 1941, the U.S. government began the condemnation of some 46,000 acres near Blackstone to establish Camp Pickett and train troops for World War II. The action forced 263 families (totaling 1,181 individuals) from their farms early in 1942. Many relocated to other farms but some had to abandon the only way of life they had known. Within months, their homes were demolished, the graves of their ancestors moved elsewhere, and the camp erected. Because of the sacrifices of these citizens, . . . — Map (db m31051) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — K 173 — Fort Pickett
Named in honor of Confederate Maj. Gen. George Edward Pickett upon its creation in 1942, Camp Pickett was dedicated to the cause of a "reunited nation at war." Established as a 46,000-acre World War II Army installation, Camp Pickett was home to eight combat divisions, seven infantry divisions, and one armored division, during both the European and the Pacific campaigns. The famed "Cross of Lorraine" 79th Infantry Division trained here before the invasion at Normandy. The post was redesignated . . . — Map (db m19001) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — Jamestown Oaks
Through the Virginia 2007 Community Program the National Alumnae Association of Blackstone College planted 24 White and Pin Oak trees at this site to commemorate the 400th Anniversary of the founding of Jamestown, the first permanent English settlement in North America; to identify as a Virginia Legacy the Historic Blackstone College Campus, now the Virginia United Methodist Assembly Center; and to honor family and friends. — Map (db m32368) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — 19 — Mount Nebo ChurchBlackstone, Virginia — Nottoway County
Mt. Nebo Church was founded shortly after the Civil War in 1867. A northerner named Mr. Rickets bought the place called Oak Hill and began preaching to a group of African Americans at this place in the woods. The audience increased as people from the surrounding communities came to hear him. They built a brush arbor under which to worship. As the crowd grew larger, Mr. Rickets gave the congregation one acre of land on which they built a log church and named it Mt. Nebo. One day PF . . . — Map (db m20242) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — Z 238 — Nottoway County / Dinwiddie County
(Obverse) Nottoway County Area 310 square miles Formed in 1788 from Amelia, and named for an Indian tribe. Tarleton passed through this county in 1781. Here lived William Hodges Mann, Governor of Virginia 1910-14. (Reverse) Dinwiddie County Area 521 square miles Formed in 1752 from Prince George, and named for Robert Dinwiddie, Governor of Virginia 1751-56. General Winfield Scott was born in this county, and in it took place the battle of Five Forks, 1865. — Map (db m31053) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — Z 39 — Nottoway County / Dinwiddie County
(Obverse) Nottoway County Area 310 Square Miles Formed in 1788 from Amelia, and named for an Indian tribe. Tarleton passed through this county in 1781. Here lived William Hodges Mann, Governor of Virginia 1910-14. (Reverse) Dinwiddie County Area 521 Square Miles Formed in 1752 from Prince George, and named for Robert Dinwiddie, Governor of Virginia 1751-56. General Winfield Scott was born in this county, and in it took place the battle of Five Forks, 1865. — Map (db m31874) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — K 315 — Nottoway Training School
On this site stood the Nottoway Training School, the first public school to provide secondary education for African Americans in Nottoway County. In 1909, public appeals to raise funds led to the establishment of the school by 1913, making it one of the first training schools for African Americans opened in the Commonwealth. The John F. Slater Fund helped finance teachers' salaries. County training schools were built to provide rural students vocational and agricultural education, as well as to . . . — Map (db m31052) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Blackstone — SM 2 — Union Academy
Near here stood Union Academy, conducted by Hardy and Crenshaw from 1861 to about 1869. Dr. Walter Reed, who discovered the carrier of yellow fever, and Dr. Robert E. Blackwell, long President of Randolph-Macon College, attended school here. Nearby was an iron foundry, established in 1855 by Captain Richard Irby. — Map (db m31049) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Burkeville — BurkevilleLee's Retreat — April 5, 1865
This location, the junction of the South Side and Richmond & Danville Railroads, served as an important hospital, logistics and supply base during and after the Appomattox Campaign. General Grant spent the night here after leaving Jetersville. Next Stop Crewe 4.7 miles — Map (db m18837) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Burkeville — Burkeville JunctionCritical Junction — Lee’s Retreat
Here at Burkeville Junction, the Richmond and Danville Railroad - the most direct route to North Carolina - crossed the South Side Railroad, which ran west to Farmville. Gen. Robert E. Lee planned to lead the Army of Northern Virginia down the former rail line from Amelia Court House. When part of the Army of the Potomac, one of the Union armies commanded by Gen. Ulysses S. Grant, blocked the way at Jetersville on April 5, 1865, Lee turned west. He intended to follow the South Side Railroad . . . — Map (db m18833) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Burkeville — Burkeville Junction“Sights never to be forgotten” — Wilson-Kautz Raid
In June 1864, to deny Gen. Robert E. Lee the use of the South Side R.R. and the Richmond and Danville R.R., Gen. Ulysses S. Grant sent Gen. James H. Wilson and Gen. August V Kautz south of Petersburg on a cavalry raid to destroy track and rolling stock. Burkeville Junction, where the two lines crossed, was the raiders’ principal target. Kautz’s force arrived about 3 p.m. on June 23, “meeting but slight resistance” from about 300 Confederate infantrymen who retreated to nearby . . . — Map (db m18835) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Burkeville — 20 — Ingleside Training InstituteBurkeville, Virginia — Nottoway County
When the Russell Grove School in Amelia County grew too big for its building, land was found in Nottoway County near Burkeville for a new school. Built in 1892 to educate African-American girls, the new school was named Ingleside Seminary. It was funded by northern churches. In 1894, Ingleside was recognized by the State Board of Education as a Teacher Training Institute. It prepared young women to teach all grades, including those at training schools. The young teachers, some only 16, were . . . — Map (db m31042) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Burkeville — UK 4 — Old Nottoway Meeting House
This is the site of the Old Nottoway Meeting House, built in 1769, the second Baptist church established south of James River. Jeremiah Walker was the first minister. — Map (db m31043) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Burkeville — Z 53 — Prince Edward County / Nottoway County
(Front): Prince Edward County Area 356 Square Miles Formed from Amelia, and named for Prince Edward, son of Frederick, prince of Wales, and younger brother of King George III. General Joseph E. Johnston was born in this county; Hampden-Sydney College is in it. (Back): Nottoway County Area 310 Square Miles Formed in 1788 from Amelia and named for an Indian tribe. Tarleton passed through this county in 1781. Here lived William Hodges Mann, Governor of Virginia, 1910-1914. — Map (db m31787) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Burkeville — Wilson-Kautz Raid"Destroy both those roads"
In late June 1864, Confederate Gen. Robert E. Lee and the Army of Northern Virginia were engaged in a desperate defense of the city of Petersburg. Victory for Lee depended on a steady flow of supplies, brought in by rail. To force Lee from Petersburg, Union Gen. U.S. Grant planned to cut Southern supply lines and ordered a cavalry raid to tear up track and destroy railroad stations and bridges. On June 22, 1864, Union Gens. James H. Wilson and August V. Kautz, commanding more than 5,000 cavalry . . . — Map (db m18836) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — M 21 — Civilian Conservation Corps Company 1370
Near here is the site of CCC Company 1370 from 1935-1940. Among the most popular New Deal programs, the CCC was designed to encourage conservation of natural resources and employment training during the Great Depression. CCC 1370 enrollees were actively involved in soil erosion control and extensive reforestation efforts in this county. — Map (db m19026) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — CreweLee's Retreat — April 5-6, 1865
Originally called Robertson’s switch, near here General Grant made a cross-country night ride through enemy territory to join Generals Sheridan and Meade at Jetersville. Here, plans would be made for operations against Lee’s army the following day. Next Stop Nottoway Court House 4.7 miles — Map (db m6076) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — Ella Graham Agnew1872 - 1958
First women extension agent for Virginia and U.S. Department of Agriculture, born and buried nearby. In 1910 she organized tomato and canning clubs in Halifax and Nottoway Counties. Forerunners of 4-H and Extension Homemaker Clubs. A pioneer in rural education, her successes opened doors for thousands of girls, women, their families and communities. — Map (db m19024) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — M 18 — Francisco's Fight
American Revolutionary soldier Peter Francisco in July 1781 encountered about nine of British Lt. Gen. Banastre Tarleton's dragoons to the east at Ward's Tavern. Using his legendary strength and cunning, Francisco single-handedly bested his enemies, sending them in retreat, and allowing him to capture a number of their horses. Standing more than 6 feet tall and weighing about 260 pounds, Francisco was celebrated for his feats of strength and bravery, attributes featured in a number of period . . . — Map (db m19016) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — SM 2 — Lottie Moon(1840-1912)
Lottie Moon, a native of Charlottesville, was appointed by the Southern Baptist Foreign Mission Board as a missionary to China in 1873 where she served for forty years. She died on her trip home in Kobe, Japan, on Christmas Eve, 1912, and her ashes were buried in her brother's plot in the Crewe Cemetery in 1913. The Lottie Moon Christmas offering is the largest mission offering taken during the year in all Southern Baptist churches. — Map (db m31044) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — K 170 — Nottoway Court House
Near here on 23 June 1864, Confederate Maj. Gen. W. H. F. "Rooney" Lee positioned his cavalrymen between those of Union generals August V. Kautz and James H. Wilson, who were riding toward Burkeville. The resulting engagement, according to Wilson, was one of the hottest of the war. Gen. U. S. Grant passed by here on 5 April 1865 with part of his army, in pursuit of Gen. Robert E. Lee's Army of Northern Virginia. Here Grant received word that Lt. Gen. Philip H. Sheridan was at Jetersville, . . . — Map (db m18877) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — Nottoway Court HouseLee's Retreat — April 5, 1865
Following the South Side railroad, portions of the Union army passed through this village and continued through Burkeville, encountering the Confederates at Rice's Depot. General Grant spent part of the evening here before riding to Jetersville to confer with his generals. — Map (db m18878) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — M-22 — Roger Atkinson Pryor(19 July 1828 – 14 Mar. 1919)
Roger A. Pryor was reared at Old Place near present-day Crewe. A lawyer and newspaper editor, he won election to the House of Representatives in 1859 and resigned in 1861. He agitated for secession in Charleston, S.C., and before the attack on Fort Sumter declined the opportunity to fire the first shot. Elected to the Provisional Confederate Congress, he resigned to command the 3d Va. Infantry, and was promoted to brigadier general in 1862. When his brigade was dismantled in 1863, he served as . . . — Map (db m14769) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Crewe — M 20 — T. O. Sandy
First Farm Demonstration Agent in Virginia lived one mile south. Appointed State Agent in 1907. Under his able leadership programs in Farm and Home Demonstration work, Boys Corn Clubs and Girls Canning Clubs were developed. In 1914 the Agency was transferred to the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and became the Extension Service now embracing mens and womens work and 4-H clubs. — Map (db m19022) HM
Virginia (Nottoway County), Nottoway — Nottoway Confederate Soldiers Monument
Erected by the Ladies Memorial Association of Nottoway July 20, 1893 Jeffress Artillery C.S.A Co. G 18 VA. Regt. A.N.V. Nottoway Reserves C.S.A. Co. E 3 VA. Cavalry A.N.V. — Map (db m20245) HM
31 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 461 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.