|Nevada (Nye County), Amargosa — Jack's Stone Cabin|
|Looking for a protected, isolated place for a home, Jack Longstreet rode into Ash Meadows and found exactly what he was looking for- a clear spring, a cave in a spring mound, and open pasture for his horses. He enlarged the cave and built a stone cabin in front of the opening. The mound actually formed the back wall and part of the sides of the cabin. Longstreet and his second wife, Susie, lived at the house for about five years (1895-1899).
In 1984 a flash flood reduced Jack's cabin to . . . — Map (db m89554) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Beatty — 173 — Beatty — Center of the Gold Railroads — "Chicago of the West"|
|Beatty was the center of three short-lived, so-called "gold" railroads that were spawned by the strikes of the early 1900's in Tonopah, Goldfield and Rhyolite.
During 1906-'07 three railroads were built in this area. The Las Vegas and Tonopah built from Las Vegas through Beatty and Rhyolite to Goldfield. The Bullfrog Goldfield built south from Goldfield to Beatty and Rhyolite. The Tonopah and Tidewater built north from Ludlow, California to Gold Center and used the BG . . . — Map (db m31924) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Beatty — 57 — Old Boundary — Nevada's Southern Boundary 1861 -1867|
|The 37th Degree North Latitude is marked at this point as the dividing line between the territories of Utah and New Mexico under the provisions of the Compromise of 1850 which originally organized the land ceded by Mexico in 1848.
When the Territory of Nevada was carved from western Utah in 1861, this line became the southern boundary of the new territory and continued to serve as such when the territory and state were enlarged by extensions to the east in 1862 and 1866, respectively. . . . — Map (db m46382) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Belmont — 138 — Belmont|
|Once visited by prehistoric man, Shoshone Indians also used this site for jackrabbit drives and for celebrations.
Silver ore discoveries in 1865, the convenience of wood and water and a naturally fine location resulted in the attractive tree-shaded, mining and milling center of Belmont. Once the most flourishing town in eastern Nevada, it was the county seat from 1867-1905.
English-Irish feuds flared frequently and the German-dominated merchant section of town once flew its own flag. . . . — Map (db m86419) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — A Home|
|This was a bachelor's quarters in 1906. That year the Italian occupants staged a lively Fourth of July celebration. Accordian music emanated from with, and wine flowed freely. Again and again someone appeared at the door to empty a six shooter into the air thereby accentuating the merry making within the house. The following year Felix Ascargorta moved in with his family and made this their home until the camp shut down. — Map (db m89576) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Assay Office|
|Samples of rock and ore from the mine and samples of concentrates from the mill were processed (assayed) here to determine the amount of values they contained. The furnace in this assay laboratory used charcoal because it was the only clean burning fuel produced locally. The night watchman used this office to warm himself and to rest in after each trip through town on lookout for thieves and fires. He also ate his midnight lunch here. The Watchman's name was Mr. Doolan. — Map (db m89578) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Charcoal Yard|
|Thousands of sacks of charcoal were stacked in this area. The charcoal was used to fire the furnace used to assay the ore samples at the nearby assay office, and as fuel for blacksmith forges in the machine shop at the mine. Because charcoal is easily ignited, great precaution was taken to prevent fires. The pipe fire hydrant can still be seen. It was always kept in readiness with a fire hose attached.
Charcoal was made or "burned" in the mountains to the west. — Map (db m89588) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Company Boardinghouse|
|The Company-owned boardinghouse that stood here was leased and run by (China) Tom Joe at the turn of the century. From here, China Joe moved to Ione to operate a boardinghouse of his own. From 1905 until the mine and mill shut down in 1907, the company operated it with hired help. The cook's name was Francisco and the flunky's name Candido Mastraitua. they both were Spanish Basque. The remains of the underground cellar are visible in the back part of this lot. Canned and perishable goods . . . — Map (db m89589) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Doctor's Office & Home|
|Because the area was sparsely settled and his patients were few, Dr. Bruton was a poor man. He walked when he visited the sick in Berlin and Union Canyon, carrying his satchel which contained all the instruments and medicines he might need. If anyone beyond walking distance needed a doctor, they usually came after him with a buggy. When the mine closed, he was one of the last residents to leave. He moved to Austin, but because there were already two doctors there, he had difficult times. He . . . — Map (db m89594) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Firmin Bruner — Dedicated In Appreciation|
|For sharing his memories of history as he lived them here in Berlin, West Union Canyon, and other parts of Central Nevada during the early years of the twentieth century. His efforts will allow present and future generations to more fully understand that period of Nevada's colorful past. — Map (db m89591) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Foster's Blacksmith Shop|
|Bill and Mack Foster moved this building to here from Ellsworth. It was used as a blacksmith shop by them when they were prospecting in this area for about twenty years preceding the year 1954. — Map (db m89579) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Machine Shop|
|This building contained the blacksmith shop, and was equipped with power driven drill presses, and lathes, etc. therefore, it was called the machine shop. The crew of mechanics that worked here kept all the mine and mill machinery running smoothly. Occasionally a passing automobile that had broken down was towed to its door to be put into running condition again. — Map (db m89580) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Mine Superintendent's Home|
|Mr. Bowen, the mine superintendent, believed in dealing with his fellow men with justice and understanding, but he could not be deterred from administering his duties for the company conscientiously. In 1907, when the miners struck for a raise in pay from $3.50 to $4.00 a day, and the values in the ore were too low to grant the raise an continue operation of the property at a profit, he shut down the mine. The miners reasoned that if he was out of the way, their chances for obtaining the . . . — Map (db m89585) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Mrs. Phillips Home|
|Mrs. Kate Phillips lived here until 1907. She then moved to Ione and opened a boarding house and lodging house. Later, Will and Mack Foster resided in this building for about twenty years. During that time they prospected a wide area and also leased on company property. Later they gardened and raised goats. Will got sick and was taken to Tonopah where he died in 1953. In 1954, Mack died here of a heart attack. In his book "Odyssey of a Desert Prospector", Herman W. Albert's description of the . . . — Map (db m89581) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Stage Station|
|The stage driver and his horses were housed under one roof in this building. A partition made of lumber separated the dwelling section from the barn. A small corral was attached to the south section and the door leading into the barn could be closed in cold weather. The men who drove stage from 1904 until 1924 were John Mullin, Ed Dieringer and Alex Dyer. Alex used horses until 1915. On his first trip by Model T, the car quit him at the Dieringer Ranch. He caught a ride into Ione for help, and . . . — Map (db m89582) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — The Berlin Mill|
|This building was a beehive of activity while Berlin was in its heyday. One man tended to the primary crusher and did other odd jobs, another tended the 30 stamps and the concentration tables, and a third man fired the five boilers and looked after the four steam engines. One engine powered the primary crusher and the stamps, another powered the concentrating tables, the third drove the direct current dynamos that supplied electricity for lights, and the fourth engine was combined with a . . . — Map (db m89583) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — The Clubhouse|
|The Two-Story building that stood here was called the "Clubhouse". It might have been erected to house the mine and mill office, but during the years from 1906 to 1908, it was used as quarters for visiting company officials and local supervisors that did not have families. The bedrooms were upstairs and the lower floor was a lounge. In the years following 1945, someone removed lumber from the partition walls, thus weakening the building, and it finally collapsed. — Map (db m89587) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Berlin — Watson's House|
|W.J. Watson who was a postmaster and store manager lived in this house with his daughter, Mrs. Reston and his granddaughter Zoe. Although Mr. Watson was an employee of high rank, and he was aware of the anti-liquor policy of the company, he liked to take a drink of beer occasionally. In order not to be involved in an embarrassing situation he would give my father a dollar and ask him to purchase four bottles of beer with it. He would reward dad by giving him one bottle and saying in Spanish, . . . — Map (db m89584) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Carvers — 42 — Big Smoky Valley|
|Named for its hazy distances, this valley has seen a parade of famous men and stirring events.
Prior to the white men, the valley and its bordering Toiyabe and Toquima Ranges were favorite Shoshone haunts.
Jedediah Smith, intrepid trapper and trail-blazer, was the first white man here. Crossing the valley's southern end from the west in 1827. In 1845, came John C. Fremont, accompanied by such figures of the American West as Kit Carson and Basil LaJeunesse.
In 1859, Captain James . . . — Map (db m89413) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Carvers — 64 — Ophir|
|Well up into the canyon out yonder, one can still see the massive stone foundations of a costly and splendid stamp mill, as well as, the stone walls of an elegant office and mansion. Here was the scene of once busy place, now a ghost town. Ore was discovered there in 1863 by S. Boulerond and his compatriots. In 1864, the Murphy Mine was discovered and became the leading producer; a mining district was organized. During 1865, a twenty-stamp mill was completed costing over $200,000. Connected . . . — Map (db m89408) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Carvers — 217 — Tate's Stage Station — 1886-1901|
|Long after the railroads came to Nevada and branch lines were extended towards the heartland of the state, horse-drawn stages transported people and mail from railhead to the hinterlands. The principal routes were covered by such well-known lines as Overland Mail and Stage Co., William Hill Beachey Railroad Stage Lines, Butterfield;s, Wells, Fargo and Co., Pioneer Stageline, Carson and Columbus Stage Line, plus other lesser-known lines. Thomas Tate sub-contracted mail routes in Central Nevada . . . — Map (db m89421) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Goldwell — Rhyolite's District of Shadows|
|Up the hill lies the financial and population core of Rhyolite, capital of Rhyoleind, and trade center for rhyoleir, the rare lighter-than-air mineral that gave the city its power, wealth and, some said, purpose. You'll see bottlehouses built from discarded rhyolyaseh and the Cook's Banke, where the pure substance was stored and the Brave 57 killed by Federica the Unifier. Indeed, the city feels much the same today as it did after her forces looted it.
But there were those . . . — Map (db m51128) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Manhattan — John C. Humphrey — Founder of Manhattan, Nevada|
|John Humphrey found gold in Manhattan Canyon, April 1, 1905. The discovery led to the town of Manhattan later that year. — Map (db m89523) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Manhattan — 1 — Lady Guardian of Old Belmont|
|The grand old building to the left, once known as the Philadelphia House was built by the Combination Silver Mining Company of New York in 1866. Constructed of native stone acquired from a nearby quarry, the building served as headquarters for mine operations, living quarters for the Superintendent, and for a brief period a temporary Sheriff's office and courthouse during the early glory days of Belmont. During this time, Belmont grew to a population of several thousand and over a 20 year span . . . — Map (db m60215) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Manhattan — 97 — Manhattan - "The Pine Tree Camp"|
|The Manhattan Mining Camp northeast of here, was first organized in 1867. The place name persisted in local use, and was adopted in 1905 when John Humphrey found gold at the foot of April Fool Hill near the old stage route. A typical boom followed. A post office was started late in 1905 and the camp soon had telegraph, telephone, utilities and businesses. Transport was to Tonopah and the railroad at Sodaville. The 1906 earthquake halted mining investment. As a result, most of the productive . . . — Map (db m89409) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Mercury — 165 — Nevada Test Site|
|Testing of devices for defense and for peaceful uses of nuclear explosives is conducted here. The nation's principal nuclear explosives testing laboratory is located within this 1,350 square mile, geologically complex, area in the isolated valleys of Jackass, Yucca, and Frenchman Flats. Selected as on-continent test site in 1950, the first test took place on Frenchman Flat in January, 1951.
Archeological studies of the NTS area have revealed continuous occupation by prehistoric man from . . . — Map (db m32982) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Pahrump — 171 — Chief Tecopa — Peacemaker of the Paiutes|
|Chief Tecopa was a young man when the first white man came to Southern Nevada. As the leader of the Southern Paiute Tribes, he fought with vigor to save their land and traditional way of life. He soon realized, however, that if his people were to survive and prosper, he would have to establish peace, and learn to live in harmony with the foreigners.
During his life-span, which covered almost the entire 19th century, his energy and time were devoted to the betterment of his people. Chief . . . — Map (db m89415) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Round Mountain — 96 — Round Mountain|
|One of many early 1900 gold camps, Round Mountain is unique because: ...It has been a producer for more than 60 years. ...All the gold occurred in free, visible, metallic form. ...Many small, high-grade veins were easily mined with hand tools. ...Larger, lower-grade veins provided ore for milling plants. ...Placer gold occurred in economically recoverable amounts in the peripheral gravels at the base of the mountain which were first dry washed. ...Water was piped across the valley floor from . . . — Map (db m89414) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — "Big" Bill Murphy|
|This statue depicts Big Bill Murphy, hero of the tragic Tonopah Belmont Mine fire that killed 17 miners on February 23, 1911. Murphy went down in the mine cage a number of times to bring up stricken miners.
On the last trip he did not return.
Statue designed and built by Adam Skiles. Dedicated May 28th, 2005 — Map (db m62320) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Belmont Mine Fire Mural — Dedicated November 19, 2005|
|The mural you are viewing was painted by noted mural
artist, Lee Bowerman of Grand Junction, Colorado and
is dedicated to Nevada Mine Safety in remembrance of
the Belmont Mine Fire of February 23, 1911 and the
heroism of cage tender, Wiliam F. (Big Bill) Murphy.
The mural depicts Big Bill's heroic attempts to rescue fellow miners from the depths of the earth where he and seventeen others lost their lives on this tragic day in the mining history of Tonopah. This mural was made possible . . . — Map (db m59377) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — County Court House - Nye County|
|Built in 1905 at a cost of $27,965.00 by Continental Construction Company. Site selected by commission April 1 and donated by Jim Butler's Tonopah Mining Company. On Tuesday, February 7, 1905 Governor Sparks signed the bill to remove the county seat of Nye County from Belmont to Tonopah. When news was received in Tonopah arrangements were made to have every mine with steam whistles to blow them at six o'clock that evening in honor of the event—and blow they did. It was a red hot occasion. . . . — Map (db m3916) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Framing Building|
|The pile of pipe beside the building is fan pipe which was used to send air down the mine and through the workings for ventilation. The air was supplied by large fans on the surface. The pile of wire on the hill behind the building is banding from bundles of timber that was shipped in on the railroad. The timbers were unloaded from the railroad cars and brought down to the framing building where it was cut to the dimensions needed for mine timbering and other uses. The building had saws inside . . . — Map (db m89635) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Harry Stimler|
"The Greatest Gold Camp On Earth" — Map (db m89556) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Into the Depths|
|Look above you to the large headframe of the Mizpah Mine on the hill. Imagine entering a cage at the bottom of that headframe. You would be lowered 1,500 feet (more than a 1/4 of a mile!), the depth of the Mizpah shaft. When you reached the bottom the cage opened and you would enter a tunnel similar to the one you see here. "Square set" timbers supported the mine and prevented cave-ins. Working The Mines The men sitting to the left near the axe and pick may have worked with the timber. The . . . — Map (db m89625) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Jim and Belle Butler|
|In May 1900, Jim and Belle Butler came prospecting from their hay ranch at Belmont to stake the claims that gave rise to Tonopah. This was the first silver bonanza of the 20th century. It prompted a mining renaissance and this heritage is Tonopah's greatest attraction along with good food, lodging and all necessary services. This monument was designed and built by local artist Adam Skiles and dedicated by Tonopah citizens, May, 2007 — Map (db m62321) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — 1 — John G. Kirchen|
Born - June 13, 1874 Lake Linden, Michigan
Died - March 4, 1931 San Francisco, California
This monument, constructed in 1931 was dedicated in memory of John G. Kirchen. Tonopah businessman and manager of The Tonopah Extension Mining Co. 1906-1931.
The Monument was built over the Denver Load, site of Mr. Kirchens last silver discovery on the 1,800 ft level of the Victor Shaft which is east of here.
John's ashes were scattered at this site on March 14, 1931. His wife Florence's . . . — Map (db m46508) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — 101 — Millers|
|As a result of the mining excitement at Tonopah in 1901 and subsequent construction of the Tonopah and Goldfield Railroad, Millers was founded in 1904 as a station and watering stop on that line. The name honors Charles R. Miller, a director of the railroad and former Governor of Delaware. He was also Vice President of the Tonopah Mining Company and was instrumental in having their 100-stamp cyanide mill build here in 1906. In 1907 the town boomed with the construction of the T & G R.R.'s . . . — Map (db m3494) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Mizpah Hotel|
|In 1907-08, to celebrate Tonopah's newfound prosperity, Geo Wingfield, Geo Nixon, Bob Govan and the Brougher Brothers collaborated to erect "The best hotel in Nevada". 1931 saw legalized gambling returned and a small casino was opened. 1956 new owners, the Shorts, spent $50,000 dollars on a newly enlarged casino and cocktail lounge. In 1976, Frank Scott, Pres. of the Scott Corp. of Las Vegas, purchased the property. Not long after, renovation was started as a "labor of love". February 1980 a . . . — Map (db m89426) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Mizpah Mine Powder Magazine — 1902-1948|
|Used to store all dynamite, fuse and blasting caps used in Tonopah Mining Co. mines. — Map (db m89629) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Stopes|
|The stopes are where the ore bodies were mined out. These show where the veins actually came to the surface. Jim Butler's original discovery was on these veins near the back of the old fire house. The ore bodies averaged about 500' in depth and most of the stopes are that deep. The first 100' or so were mined from the surface down on leases led by Jim Butler between 1900 and 1901. The miners used windlass' and whims (horse drawn hoists) to get the ore to the surface. All drilling for blasting . . . — Map (db m89627) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Teamsters|
|Once the ore was mined and sacked, it had to be hauled to the railroad. That task was entrusted to the Teamsters, so called because they drove teams of mules, horses or both. Each Teamster was assisted by a Swamper, who watered and fed the team at each stop on the 60 mile trip to the railhead at Sodaville. The receipt (right) shows that it was a 5 day trip for a team with a 100 sacks of ore weighing over five tons. (Photo Captions) A Horse-Powered Whim Hoist. . . . — Map (db m89632) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — The Leasers — "From everywhere came hardy spirits..."|
|A great mystery of the desert is how quickly word travels of a rich mineral strike! The discovery started America's last great mining rush. Belle and Jim devised a plan to handle the rush. They leased parts of their claim, the richest of all, to enthusiastic prospectors, who measured the areas they chose to excavate at three feet per step, and marked them with rocks. The Butlers never signed a contract with any of them- simply a verbal agreement for 25% of the profits the lease . . . — Map (db m89626) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — The Tonopah Mining Boom|
|In 1900. Jim Butler stopped at a site known as Tonapah, or Little Water, in the Western Shoshone language. Taking a few rock samples, he discovered a mine that led to one of the most important mineral finds of the early twentieth century. As the extent of the bonanza became known, miners and prospectors flocked to the area.|
The Tonopah boom revitalized the mining West. From 1900 to 1910, newspaper reporters kept busy writing about spectacular new mining camps throughout southern Nevada, . . . — Map (db m52843) HM
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — 15 — Tonopah|
|To Jim Butler, District Attorney of Nye County, goes the credit for making the ore discoveries which ended the twenty-year slump in Nevada's economy. Migratory Indian bands originally applied the name Tonopah to a small spring in the nearby San Antonio Mountains, long before Butler camped in this area in May of 1900. Tonopah became the richest silver producer in the nation and replaced Belmont as the county seat in 1905. The mines spawned a railroad, several huge mills and a busting population . . . — Map (db m42454) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — 172 — Tybo — Silver-Lead-Zinc Camp|
|Eight miles northwest of this point lies what was formerly one of the leading lead-producing districts in the nation. Producing erratically from ore discovery in 1866 to the present (the last mill closed in 1937), Tybo has managed to achieve an overall creditable record.
Tybo, in its infancy, was known as a peaceful camp, but later refuted that claim when there occurred racial strife between the Irish, Cornish and Central Europeans; Later these groups banded together to drive from the town a . . . — Map (db m89416) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Undiscovered Silver Vein|
|The hidden vein of silver ore in the middle of the road was exposed when the road was bladed in the 1950's. The vein was missed by the old timers and is an example of how all the outcropped veins looked when they were discovered by Jim Butler in May 1990 (error- should read 1900). The brown rhyolite can be seen on each side (The "walls" of the vein) with the quartz in the center. The black is the manganese oxide and silver ore. — Map (db m89633) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — Verdi Lumber Company Coal Bin|
|Built around 1908, this building was used to house coal unloaded from the Tonopah & Goldfield Railroad in Tonopah. The bin was donated by Larry Moss and moved to this location by the Nye County Road Department. — Map (db m89630) HM|
|Nevada (Nye County), Tonopah — WM. "Billy" Marsh|
"The Greatest Gold Camp On Earth" — Map (db m89555) HM|