|South Carolina (Oconee County), Fair Play — Vandiver Bridge Dedicated Oct. 31, 1961|
The states of Georgia and South Carolina
and the Federal Bureau of Roads
Named in honor of a
beloved Georgia leader and
member Georgia Highway Board
Samuel Ernest Vandiver
1876 - 1951
Father of Hon. S. Ernest Vandiver who
was elected Governor of Georgia
Sept. 12, 1958
By authority of the Georgia General Assembly and
the Highway Depts. of South Carolina
Near this historic site on Tugaloo River stood
Built in 1852 . . . — Map (db m19491) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Andrew Pickens Ranger District / Oconee County|
Andrew Pickens Ranger District Side
The Ranger District was named for Andrew Pickens, an able commander of South Carolina's rebel militia during the American Revolution. Born of Scots-Irish immigrants near Paxtang, Pennsylvania, Pickens served in the state legislature and became a U.S. Congressman before eventually establishing his home in the nearby Tamassee area.
The District's Roots
Prior to Euro-America settlement, Cherokee and other Native-American peoples lived in . . . — Map (db m14210) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — 37 16 — Chattooga Town|
|(Front): Chattooga was one of the Cherokee "Lower Towns" in what is now S.C. during the 17Th and early 18Th centuries and was a short distance north in the Chattooga River bottom. Chattooga Town, in a remote location in the backcountry, was the smallest of the Lower Towns in 1721 when it appeared as "Chattoogie," with only 90 inhabitants, in that year's British census of Cherokee towns.
Chattooga Town was on a main trading path that crossed the Chattooga River and . . . — Map (db m20970) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — 37-13 — Cherokee Boundary (1777)|
| [Front Side]:
The Cherokee sided with the British during the American Revolution, and in 1776 Maj. Andrew Williamson's S.C. militia destroyed their "Lower Towns" in what is now S.C. He then cooperated with the N.C. militia in expeditions against the Cherokees in N.C. and Ga. The Cherokees, seeking peace, soon negotiated with the Patriots to give up most of their lands in S.C.
On May 20, 1777, at DeWitt's Corner, the Cherokees signed a treaty with S.C., . . . — Map (db m14351) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Civilian Conservation Corps Monument|
"The promptness with which you seized the opportunity to engage in honest work, the willingness with which you have performed your daily tasks, and the fine spirit you have shown in winning the respect of the communities in which your camps have been located merit the admiration of the entire country. You, and the men who have guided and supervises your efforts, have cause to be proud." President Franklin D. Roosevelt
This monument is dedicated to the honor and memory of over three million . . . — Map (db m14329) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Russell House|
| Russell House
This was a busy Appalachian farmstead in the late 1800's and early 1900's. You could hear the laughter of children playing in the creek, lowing cattle and clucking chickens as they searched for food. Ganaway Russell built a small house here in 1867 and enlarged it three times over the next 40 years to accommodate his growing family and guests.
Folks lacked motels, air conditioners and automibiles like we enjoy today. Vacationers flocked to the area that is now Highlands, . . . — Map (db m20978) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — The Civilian Conservation Corps 1933-1942|
| The Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) was established by President Franklin D. Roosevelt in 1933 as part of the comprehensive relief effort during the grim depression years. Three million men were involved in the CCC during its ten-year existence.
The CCC carried out a side range of conservation work in South Carolina, including reforestation, erosion control, the development of public recreation areas and wildlife habitat improvement. Nearly 50,000 young men and war veterans were . . . — Map (db m14350) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — The Oconee Waterwheel|
Establishment of the Park
Oconee State Park was developed in the 1930's as one of the earliest State Parks in South Carolina was built by members of the Civilian Conservation Corp. The CCC was a program created as part of President Franklin D. Roosevelt's New Deal in the midst of the Great Depression of the 1930's to address the dual problems of massive unemployment and the tremendous need to reverse the effect of generations of damaging farming practices on the land.
The CCC camp . . . — Map (db m14353) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — Walhalla State Fish Hatchery The CCC and Resource Conservation|
The historic buildings below are products of the great Depression-era Works Progress Administration (WPA) and the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC). The WPA, the CCC, and President Franklin D. Roosevelt's other New deal programs provided jobs to many unemployed Americans. They also launched a conservation and resource management movement that set the stage for the state and national park systems we see today. The CCC created and improved many parks and recreational areas and conducted . . . — Map (db m14217) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Mountain Rest — William R. Geddings Fish Culture House|
|Dedicated in memory
William R. "Randy" Geddings
S.C. Department of Natural Resource
for his 26 years of service
protection and conservation
S.C.'s trout resources. — Map (db m14293) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Newry — Newry Soup Kitchen|
Worldwide Flu Epidemic
in Loving Memory of
Ella Nunley & Eli Whitney Stanton by
Their Daughter Marcie S. Simmons — Map (db m63321) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Newry — Newry World War II Memorial|
|To the Men and
Women of the Armed
Preserving the Peace
of this Nation - This
Memorial is Humbly Dedicated — Map (db m55158) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Newry — The Church Bell|
The citizens of Newry had been having church service in the hall over the company store for a good while after the village was built. They petitioned the company to allow them to start a building fund, which was agreed to. However, the management went two steps further. They furnished a building site near the center of the community and graciously added $1,500.00 to the meager amount the people had collected to erect the building. The people were predominately Baptist, but the church . . . — Map (db m56561) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Oakway — Center Methodist Church Established 1860's|
| Before the building was constructed, the Pickens Circuit of the Methodist conference used the grounds for their camp meetings. Throughout the years the church changed circuits from Pickens to Townville to Westminster and back to Townville. Being in the remotest reached in South Carolina, Oconee County was sparsely populated in the 1800s. Permanent church structures were few and far between and camp meetings served both religious and social purposes. Like so many rural churches in Southern . . . — Map (db m53690) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Salem — 37-14 — Jocassee Town|
|Jocassee was one of several Cherokee “Lower Towns” in what is now S.C. It was located about 2 mi. E on the Jocassee River and in the Vale of Jocassee, near the modern Jocassee Dam. The town, like other Cherokee Lower Towns, was abandoned and resettled several times during the period 1750-1800. The town site and valley were covered by Lake Jocassee in 1973. — Map (db m27338) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Salem — 37-11 — Keowee Town|
|[Marker Front] Keowee Town, which means “mulberry grove place,” was the largest and most important of the Cherokee “Lower Towns” in what is now S.C. It was 1 mi. E on the Keowee River, and was already considered a significant Cherokee town when the British took a census of the Lower Towns in 1721. Keowee was also a major town on the main trading path between the British and the Cherokees.
Most Cherokees left Keowee by 1752 amid . . . — Map (db m27335) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Salem — Salem Confederate Monument|
With greatest respect and honor for the Confederate Soldiers from this area, we salute you, with the dedication of this monument. Special recognition goes to Sgt. John W. Cannon, an officer of the Confederacy and highly respected citizen of the Salem area. He was also the last sole survivor of Co. C, 1st SC Regiment of Orr's Rifles.
All these soldiers fought bravely and honorably for the Southern cause. God bless them and may we never forget them. — Map (db m14385) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Salem — 37-3 — The Cherokee Path|
| [Front Side]:
The main trading path to the Cherokee Nation paralleled the route of Highway 11 for several miles at this point. This section of the path was used by travelers going from Keowee, the main Lower Town of the Cherokees, across the mountains to the Middle and Overhill Towns. The botanist William Bartram left a written account of his journey in 1776.
In addition to its importance in the indian trade, the path played a military role in the . . . — Map (db m14383) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Salem — Wm. Jennings Bryan Dorn Bridge|
|In recognition of Distinguished Public Service promoting water resources, highways, conservation, national defense, veterans affairs, textiles, Appalachia et cetera
Soldier World War II
from South Carolina
for 26 Years — Map (db m21053) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Andrew Pickens Backcountry Revolutionary General and Legislator|
The county and its county seat are both named in honor of General Andrew Pickens, hero of the American Revolution, state legislator and Congressman. The Pickens family arrived in the Carolina backcountry in the mid-18th century. He married Rebecca Calhoun in the 1760s and established himself as a trader in Bear Springs (Abbeville) off one of the Indian trading paths. He and his family survived the Cherokee War only to be caught up in the war for independence from Great . . . — Map (db m13205) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — 37-6 — Capt. Samuel Earle|
Capt. Samuel Earle (1760-1833), an officer during the American Revolution, state representative, and U.S. representative, lived at nearby Beaverdam Plantation. He also furnished land for the town of Andersonville, once 12 mi. SE. at the fork of the Tugaloo and Senece Rivers. A native of Va., Earle came to S.C. in 1773-74, when his father settled in Spartanburg District.
During the Revolution Earle was an officer in the 5th S.C. Regiment, then the . . . — Map (db m34563) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Fairplay Community Veterans Memorial|
|Dedicated by the people
of this community to the
memory of those who gave
their lives in the great wars. — Map (db m13968) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — 37-1 — First Soil Conservation District Plan|
|On February 4, 1938, Mrs. Ploma M. Adams, owner of this farm, assisted by the Upper Savannah Soil Conservation District, initiated the first Farm-Conservation Plan of any district in America. — Map (db m26287) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Henry Craig|
| Henry Craig was the body servant of John Craig and served with him during the War Between the States. John was a member of Company A, First South Carolina Rifles, Orr's Regiment, from 1861 until he was wounded at Gravely Hill, Virginia on August 6th 1864. Henry and John grew up together and were friends. Henry brought John back to Pickens after losing his arm to this wound. After Henry received his freedom, he remained with the Craig family. It is not documented that Henry took up arms against . . . — Map (db m55172) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Memorial Gateway|
Dedicated to the
men of the Confederacy
defended the southland
War Between the States. — Map (db m13957) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — 37-7 — Oconee County Training School|
Oconee County Training School, which educated the African American children of this county from 1925 to 1955, was the successor of the Seneca Colored Graded School. This school, also known as OCTS, was founded in 1925 with Rev. B.F. Stewart as its first principal. Funded by local taxes and the Peabody Fund, it was built with 8 classrooms and later expanded to 26 classrooms, for students in grades 1-11 1931-1947, and grades 1-12 1947-1955.
Oconee . . . — Map (db m13979) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Oconee County World War Veterans|
|(Left Side):1914 ~ 1918
In Memory of
World War Veterans (Right Side):1914 ~ 1918
In Memory of
Charles McGee Byrd
Sergant, Machine Gun Co.
118th S.C. Infantry
Wounded Oct. 17th 1918
In the Battle of the Somme
Died Oct. 19th at Leonard France — Map (db m50350) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Old Pickens Church Sole Remnant of Town of Pickens|
Old Pickens Church
A Presbyterian congregation was probably organized in the 1840s. It is impossible to fix an exact date because the church records were destroyed in a fire around the turn of the 20th century. Construction on the church began in 1849 and was completed two years later. The bricks were made from clay dug from the banks of the nearby Keowee River. The heart pine floors of the church are original, as are the pulpit and pews. There is a side entrance that leads to a . . . — Map (db m13179) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Old Pickens Presbyterian Church Built in 1850|
|A church/meeting house for early immigrants
of Scotch-Irish and English descent
who settled in the area.
Col. John Robins Chapter
National Society Colonial Dames 17th Century
In Honor of
Mrs. Kay Patricia Hunt Alford
Past President of the Chapter — Map (db m55168) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — 37-4 — Seneca|
Founded August 14, 1873, as
"Seneca City," and chartered on
March 14, 1874, the town of
Seneca was named for an Indian
village on the Seneca River.
Its location was determined by
the junction of the Blue Ridge
Railroad and the Atlanta and
Richmond Air Line Railway.
1880 population: 382
1970 population: 6382 — Map (db m13969) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Seneca Firsts|
|This site, lot No. 126, was the first sold at auction by J.J. Norton and A.W. Thompson, August 14, 1873 when 14 lots sold and Seneca City was founded. Purchased by John M. Dumas, who was named the first Postmaster on April 15, 1873.
Site of: first house - commissary; first post office; birth of first child, Pearl Dumas, Nov. 20, 1873.
Louise M. & J. Bruce Bell erected this building for Bell Studio in 1953. — Map (db m46925) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — 37-8 — Seneca Institute / Seneca Junior College|
The Seneca Institute (later Seneca Junior College) educated African American children of this region from 1899 to 1939. It was founded and sponsored by the Seneca River Baptist Association, which in 1898 acquired eight acres here. The first home of Seneca Institute, a frame three-room building, was built in 1899. Its first principal, Dr. John Jacob Starks (d. 1944), served here 1899-1912 before serving as president of Morris College and then Benedict . . . — Map (db m27333) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Seneca — Wall of Honor Veterans of All Wars|
[North Marker]: 2008 Plaque
[North Marker]: 2009 Plaque
[North Marker]: 2010 Plaque
[North Marker]: 2011 Plaque
[East Marker]: 2012 Plaque — Map (db m55154) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Tamassee — 37-19 — Tamassee DAR School|
|[Marker Front] Tamassee DAR School, founded by the S.C. Society of the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) in 1919, was established in an area described as “remote but accessible where the need was greatest.” It has long met the needs of children and families in crisis from the southern Appalachian Mountains. The S.C. Cottage, the first building on campus, was built by volunteers.
At first a boarding school for girls and a day school for . . . — Map (db m27441) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Tamassee — Tamassee Town|
|Near this site once stood the Cherokee "lower town" of Tamassee. On August 12, 1776 a Revolutionary War battle known as the "Ring Fight" was fought here between the Cherokee and the South Carolina Militia under Captain Andrew Pickens. The Cherokee were defeated and many years later Gen. Pickens built his house here when he retired. The Cherokee became his neighbors and friends. — Map (db m38957) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Wahalla — 37-12 — Oconee Town|
|Oconee, also spelled "Aconnee," was one of the Cherokee "Lower Towns" in what is now S.C. at the base of Oconee Mountain and on the main trading path between the British and Cherokees, it was abandoned in 1752. Oconee Station was built in 1792 as an outpost where the path crossed the Cherokee boundary. This county, created from Pickens District in 1868, was named for Oconee Town. — Map (db m9421) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Colonel R.T. Jaynes (1862-1950)|
This building, constructed in 1905, was the law office of "Colonel" Robert Thompson Jaynes from 1905 until he retired in 1950.
"Colonel Bob" began his practice of law in 1885. His most notable case was Hopkins vs. Clemson College, a case which he argued and won before the United States Supreme Court in 1911. This landmark legal decision redefined the relationship of the states with their state supported colleges and has been cited in related legal proceedings ever since.
. . . — Map (db m64789) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Combat Infantrymen Monument|
|To Honor All Combat
We were boys and we were young
We became men on that hill we overrun
Some of us lived, many of us died
For a moment with us abide
And join in prayer with me
To honor those of the combat infantry.
The Combat Infantrymen's
Freedom has a price
The protected will never know. — Map (db m64807) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Duty, Honor, Country|
|The Sacrifices of few ensured the freedom of many.
A grateful community remembers those who served in the Armed Forces of the United States during times of war and peace, whose courage and personal sacrifices defended and preserved our freedom.
Remembering their Sacrifices — Map (db m14031) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Gen. John A. Wagener|
Founder of Walhalla. Born in Sievern, Kingdom of Hannover. Germany July 21, 1816. He emigrated to Charleston, SC where her became a leader in the German emigrant community. Elected Mayor of Charleston. Organized the German Colonization Society with the purpose of finding a suitable place for German emigrants to settle in upstate South Carolina. During the War Between the States, he served as
a Colonel in the German Artillery, South Carolina Militia, . . . — Map (db m20966) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Issaqueena Falls Dramatic Cascades of the Upcountry|
| The Legend
Local stories about thus site involve variations from the poem, "Cateechee of Keowee,' a story of love and adversity penned by J.W. Daniels, A.M., in 1898. The following is a summary of Rev. Daniels' poem, which thrust Issaqueena in immortality.
This beautiful waterfall is named for a Creek maiden called Issaqueena. There are many legends about Issaqueena. The most popular story tells how as a girl Issaqueena was captured by the Cherokee and given the name Cateechee. As a . . . — Map (db m14193) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — John A. Wagener Monument 1850-1900|
to the Memory of
Gen. Jno. A. Wagener
Founder of Walhalla
and to His Co-laborers
of the German
August 23-24, 1900. — Map (db m17491) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — 37-9 — Newberry College 1868-1877|
Newberry College, founded in 1856, moved here from Newberry in 1868 and remained in Walhalla until 1877, returning to Newberry for the opening of the 1877-78 academic year. The Lutheran college struggled during the Civil War and its aftermath as enrollment dropped and debts mounted. in 1869 it sold its main building and other property in Newberry at auction to pay its significant debts.
Walhalla, with a large community of Germans who were primarily . . . — Map (db m13991) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee County Confederate Monument|
This monument is dedicated to the memory of the Confederate Soldiers by the women of Oconee County. These gallant soldiers gave their lives for the principle of states rights, for the protection of their homes, and in defence of their women and children. We, who knew them, testify that their courage was without a precedent, their fortitude without a parallel, their virtues of the highest, and that they knew no law of life but loyalty, truth and civic virtue, and to . . . — Map (db m14163) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee County Veterans Memorial|
| In appreciation of
the Oconee County Veterans Committee
for establishing this park in honor
Oconee County soldiers who served
so that we could be free. — Map (db m14456) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee Heritage Center Bringing History to Life|
Located along the edge of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the history of Oconee County dates back to when the area was predominately inhabited by the Cherokee.
Following the American Revolution, and after settlement increased in South Carolina's Upstate, German settlers from Charleston founded the town of Walhalla (1850). Irish immigrants soon followed to build the Blue Ridge Railroad tunnel through Stumphouse Mountain. Railroad lines began crisscrossing the area and towns like Seneca and . . . — Map (db m64805) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee State Park|
Oconee State Park was built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930s during the Great Depression and continues to serve as a destination itself and as a gateway to the nearby Chattooga and Chauga rivers and to the blue Ridge and Smoky mountains. The park borders Sumter National Forest and is a haven for wildlife and a mix of mountain and foothill plant life. within its 1,165 acres are cabins, campsites, fishing and boating in two small lakes, and hiking and boating in two small lakes, . . . — Map (db m14324) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Oconee Station / Oconee County|
The South Carolina Frontier Experience
Oconee station & the William Richards House
This site was a frontier outpost and a meeting place between European American and Cherokees of this region during the late 1700s. The first building here, known as Oconee Station, was built as a garrisoned fort for armed troops and included a military blockhouse. Its initial purpose was to protect white settlers in the area from Indian attack. Soon Oconee Station became . . . — Map (db m14372) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Patriot's Hall: Oconee Veterans Museum Lest We Forget South Carolina National Heritage Corridor|
Built in 1933 by the Civilian Conservation Corps, the “Old Rock Building” was constructed from rock found at nearby historic Stumphouse Tunnel. The building is owned by Oconee County. Before becoming the home to the Oconee Veteran's Museum, this building housed many county offices.
Oconee County is home to thousands of veterans who have served or are currently serving in the military. The museum stands to honor them and offers an opportunity for visitors to see first hand . . . — Map (db m46853) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — 37-2 — St. Johns Lutheran Church|
On November 20, 1853, St. John's was organized by members of the German Colonization Society of Charleston, S.C. who founded the town of Walhalla in 1850. Services were originally held in a house on West Union which was purchased from Col. Joseph Gresham and belonged to Jacob Schroder. The present structure was begun in 1859 and dedicated on March 12, 1861.
John Kaufmann designed and directed the building of St. John's with the assistance of August . . . — Map (db m14160) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Stumphouse Mountain Tunnel The Mountain that Defeated the Rail Line|
The history of Stumphouse Tunnel is as rich as the surrounding land and carries with it stories of dreams, failures, hardships, and opportunities. The dream was to develop a railroad line from Charleston, South Carolina to Cincinnati, Ohio. The Blue Ridge Rail Line was completed from Charleston to Pendleton by the 1850s but the granite Stumphouse Mountain presented a major challenge.
Fifteen hundred tunnel workers and their families made their home on Stumphouse Mountain in a town called . . . — Map (db m15041) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — 37-10 — Stumphouse Tunnel|
The unfinished railroad tunnel cut into the SE face of Stumphouse Mtn. is the largest of three begun before the Civil War by the Blue Ridge Rail Road, for a line from Anderson, S.C., to Knoxville, Tenn. Work began in late 1853. About 1,500 Irish miners, who lived in the Tunnel Hill village atop the mountain, cut through blue granite with hand drills, hammers and chisels, and black powder. Four shafts meant miners could cut through ten rock faces at one time.|
(Reverse) . . . — Map (db m46447) HM
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — 37-15 — The English School|
Walhalla, in what was Pickens District until Oconee County was created in 1868, was founded by the German Colonization Society of Charleston in 1850 and boasted as many as 500 German settlers by 1855. The first school offering instruction in English opened in a frame building on Church Street between mid-1850 and late 1852. It was described in January 1853 as "a good English school on the square attended by twenty German Children."
Prof. G.H.D. Cramer was . . . — Map (db m20964) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — The Silver Rose|
|The price of a silver rose is not free
"They gave their tomorrow for your toadys."
In memory of the men and women
who served in the Vietman War
and later died as a result
of Agent Orange dioxins
we honor and remember
their sacrifice — Map (db m14029) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — Walhalla|
|"Garden of the Gods"
Blue Ridge — Map (db m13987) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Walhalla — War Between the States 1861-1865|
|Dedicated to the brave and gallant Confederate soldiers and their families of Western Pickens District (Oconee County) who despite great hardships gave their blood and earthly possessions in defense of states rights and their beloved south land.
May we never forget them and what they stood for! — Map (db m14162) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), West Union — 37-18 — West Union Grammar School / West Union Grammar School|
|West Union Grammar School
West Union Graded School, also known as West Union Grammar School or West Union Elementary School, was built here in 1923-24. In 1922, trustees purchased 4 acres from Marvin Phinney for a new school to replace an earlier frame building. This two-story brick school was ready for the opening of the 1924-25 school year with Jerome Douglass as its principal and 5 teachers for about 100-150 students in grades 1-6.
West Union Elementary School
Miss Clara Smith . . . — Map (db m64783) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Westminster — Colonel Benjamin Cleveland Monument|
|Erected by members of
the Cleveland family in
S.C., Ga., & Tenn. in honor of
Col. Benjamin Cleveland
a hero of the Revolution
for American Independence
and one of the commanders
in the Battle of King's
1738 - 1806 — Map (db m63430) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Westminster — 37-20 — Retreat Rosenwald School|
This school, often called Retreat Colored School, was built in 1923 for the African-American students in and near Westminster. A two-room, two-teacher, elementary school, it was built by local builder William Walker Bearden of Oakway at a cost of $2,300. It was one of more than 500 schools in S.C. funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation between 1917 and 1932.
This public school replaced a one-room private school established by Pleasant . . . — Map (db m53235) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Westminster — Westminster Confederate Monument|
Confederate Soldiers — Map (db m63317) WM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Westminster — Westminster Depot Southern Railway Passenger Station South Carolina National Heritage Corridor|
|The original Westminster Freight Depot was built in 1885. The railroad contributed to rapid growth and development in the Westminster area. Following incorporation and continued growth, in 1911 the passenger depot was constructed. However, as railroad passenger travel declined throughout America, Westminster's rail services were cut short. By 1970 all passenger service was discontinued.
The Depot has undergone several alterations throughout the 20th century. However, the basic integrity of . . . — Map (db m46848) HM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Westminster — Westminster First Baptist Church World War I Monument|
Our Soldier Boys Ernest Whitworth
J.P. Dendy, Jr.
Roy Stribling *
Dr. W.C. Marett
Dr. F.T. Simpson
W.L. England, Jr.
J.E. Gaines, Jr.
American Legion Post 107
Westminster Baptist Church . . . — Map (db m63319) WM|
|South Carolina (Oconee County), Westminster — Westminster World War I Monument|
Veterans — Map (db m63320) WM|