HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Orange County Markers
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 49 — Anaheim Cemetery
In 1866, German Colonists established the Anaheim Cemetery as the first public cemetery in Orange County. Many of the early leaders of Anaheim and Orange County are interred here. The Community Mausoleum was built in 1914 as the first mausoleum on the West Coast. The Pioneer Memorial Archway, donated by F.A. Hartman, was erected in 1917. — Map (db m58908) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Caρada De Los Bueyes — Canyon of the Oxen
Through this canyon in Mexican days oxen drawn carretas carried hides to the embarcadero at San Juan Capistrano. — Map (db m49945) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Helena Modjeska
This statue is the oldest public works of art project of its type in Orange County. Sponsored by the State Emergency Relief Administration, the Anaheim Rotary Club and the City of Anaheim, it was originally dedicated on September 15, 1935. Depicted is Polish actress Madame Helena Modjeska, who established an artist's colony in Anaheim in 1876. On the reverse side are four vineyard workers representing the agricultural nature of the original Anaheim colony. — Map (db m51967) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Kate and Ella 1895 — "Katella Ranch"
Kate and Ella the daughters of the Rea Family were early settlers of Anaheim. The family named their ranch "Katella Ranch" after their daughters. The original Anaheim wagon track was later named after them and is now Katella Ave. Artist: Ramon G Velazco June 2008 Developer: Anaheim gradenwalk II, LLC City of Anaheim Public Art Program — Map (db m55371) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Loara School Bell
In 1869, near this location, Mr. Benjamin F. Kellogg helped establish the pioneer farming community of Fairview. In 1870 Mr. Kellogg donated land for the first Fairview school, built at today's Ball Road and Euclid Avenue. By 1888 the school, one of Orange County's first elementary schools, was severely overcrowded. A new larger school was built at this current site in 1888 at a cost of almost $7000. First known as the New Fairview School, later West Anaheim School or West End School, it was . . . — Map (db m59762) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Michelle Carew Community Courtyard
This courtyard was dedicated September 17th 1999 in loving memory of Michelle Carew. Her spirited battle against leukemia raised awareness of the National Marrow Donor Program throughout this country. In the process, her legacy has saved countless lives. “When she went to sleep, she woke up the world.” Map (db m311) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 201 — Mother Colony House
First house built in Anaheim, 1857, by George Hanson, founder "The Mother Colony", group selecting name given settlement. This German group left San Francisco to form grape growing colony. Southern California Vineyards became largest in California until destroyed, 1885, by grape disease. Colony started producing Valencia oranges. Here once resided Madame Helena Modjeska, and Henry Sienkiewicz, author of "Quo Vadis". — Map (db m50119) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — Mother Colony House
This house was built in 1857 by Mr. Geo. Hansen the promoter of that little colony of Germans who founded what is now the City of Anaheim, and originally stood on N. Los Angeles St. between Chartres & Cypress Sts. The building was a gift from Mr. E.E. Beazley and the lot on which it now stands was donated by Marie Horstmann Dwyer in memory of her parents who were pioneers and purchased the land October 1st, 1860. That the pioneers of Anaheim and what they did for us shall not be . . . — Map (db m51963) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 112 — North Gate of City of Anaheim
Anaheim Founded 1857 Location of North Gate — Map (db m51976) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 48 — Old Anaheim Library
Anaheim's first building constructed exclusively for library use was erected in 1908 with a grant of $10,000 from philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The site was purchased with funds raised by popular subscription. This building was designed by Los Angeles architect Johnn C. Austin. Of the five Carnegie-funded libraries in Orange County, only this one remains. It served as a public library until 1962. — Map (db m50042) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 33 — Peralta Adobe
Ramon Peralta built this adobe dwelling in 1871. His grandfather, Juan Pablo Peralta, was co-grantee with Jose Antonio Yorba of the only Spanish land grant in Orange County, the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana, upon which the old Peralta settlement was located. The adobe was restored in 1985. — Map (db m50017) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 11 — Site of San Pedro Gate — 1857
The original townsite of Anaheim was surrounded by a living fence of willow trees to keep out the livestock which roamed freely on the open range. This is the site of the gate that was opened to permit travel to and from San Pedro and Los Angeles. — Map (db m49990) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — 15 — St. Michael's Episcopal Church — Erected 1876 — Consecrated May 17, 1880
The walls of this House of God are hallowed by the prayers of countless worshippers. For nearly a century the mellow tones of its bell have called the faithful to prayer, announced weddings with joy, and tolled in grief for those who have passed beyond. — Map (db m49995) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — The Pelton Wheel
According to legend, Lester Pelton got his idea for a more powerful waterwheel from seeing a cow stick its nose into a stream of water. Patented in 1878, the divided metal cups of Pelton's wheel worked much the same way as the cleft between the cow's nostrils, enabling water to flow out to the sides, instead of bouncing straight back out of the cups. The water-powered wheel sent compressed air through pipes to drive pumps, drills, triphammers, and hoists in the mines. This simple concept proved . . . — Map (db m55369) HM
California (Orange County), Anaheim — The Steam Donkey
How the Dolbeer Donkey steam engine got its name is one of the real mysteries of the West. Some folks say it was called a "donkey" because loggers thought it was too puny to merit a horsepower rating invented by John Dolbeer, this portable steam engine first appeared in the redwoods near Eureka, California in 1881. The tiny, but mighty machine could be hauled to remote mountaintops and equaled the power of many horses, mules and oxen to reel in huge logs. A few steam donkeys still stand in . . . — Map (db m55365) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — 918 — Olinda
The course of oil production was changed in 1899 when the Olinda area became the first site in California to use the technique of drilling with the hole full of water. Having been developed as a source of fuel oil for for the Santa Fe Railroad, Olinda became a bustling boomtown at the turn of the century. Its demise came with construction of Carbon Canyon Dam in 1959. — Map (db m50337) HM
California (Orange County), Brea — 50 — Olinda Oil Museum and Trail
On this site, Edward L. Doheny drilled the first oil well in the Olilnda field in 1897. Olinda #1, drilled to 806 feet, pumped about 50 barrels per day (bpd). By 1898, ten wells were drilled, some producing up to 100 bpd. In 1899, the Santa Fe Railroad built a branch line to the oil field, and the settlement of Olinda was founded. This historic place is preserved to commemorate the pioneering spirit of the people of Olinda. — Map (db m50045) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 43 — Buena Park Woman's Clubhouse
Since its establshment in a newly created Orange County (1889), the Buena Park Woman's Club has influenced the civic life of its community. The club helped establish a volunteer fire department in 1915, a library district in 1919, and the town's first electric street lights in 1910. This Spanish Revival clubhouse was built in 1931 with funds raised by members. From that time, it has served as a local social and cultural center. — Map (db m50036) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 20 — Knotts Berry Farm
Founded as a 10-acre farm in 1920 by Cordella and Walter Knott, developer of the boysenberry. From berry fields came a tea room, berry market, nursery and one of the Nation's oldest themed amusement partks now on 150 acres with authentic replicas of a ghost town, gold mine, and our Independence Hall. — Map (db m50002) HM
California (Orange County), Buena Park — 7 — Site of Lily Creamery
Established 1889 as the Pacific Condensed Milk, Coffee and Canning Co. by J.M. Pitblado. First evaporated milk cannery in California and the first industry in Buena Park. The Bixby family owned the factory from 1896 until it closed in 1907. Site was later used as a tomato cannery. — Map (db m49986) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Alpha Beta Store 1924(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Alpha Beta Store 1924(c) — Map (db m59892) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Bank of Balboa, Costa Mesa Branch 1923(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Bank of Balboa, Costa Mesa Branch 1923(c) — Map (db m59886) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Braddy's Barber Shoppe 1921(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Braddy's Barber Shoppe 1921(c) — Map (db m59896) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Chapman Billiard Parlor 1928(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Chapman Billiard Parlor 1928(c) — Map (db m59897) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Costa Mesa Garage 1922(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Costa Mesa Garage 1922(c) — Map (db m59893) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Davis Barbershop & Soda Fountain 1921(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Davis Barbershop & Soda Fountain 1921(c) — Map (db m59880) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — 227 — Diego Sepϊlveda Adobe
This home of early Spanish Californians, erected in the 1820's, once served as an "estancia" or station for mission herdsmen. It was dedicated in 1963 for public use by the Segerstrom Family and restored by the City of Costa Mesa. It is jointly maintained and operated by the Costa Mesa Parks Department and the Costa Mesa Historical Society. — Map (db m50306) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — F.M. Bloom Shoe Repairs 1923(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa F.M. Blum Shoe Repairs 1923(c) — Map (db m59878) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Mesa Cleaners 1926(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Mesa Cleaners 1926(c) — Map (db m59899) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Mesa Tavern 1928(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Mesa Tavern 1928(c) — Map (db m59894) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Meyers Department Store 1924(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Meyers Department Store 1924(c) — Map (db m59881) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Middaugh Shoes 1929(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Middaugh Shoes 1929(c) — Map (db m59900) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Model Drug Store 1928(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Model Drug Store 1928(c) — Map (db m59883) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Ozment General Store & Post Office 1908(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Ozment General Store & Post Office 1908(c) — Map (db m59876) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Pennant Bakery 1925(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Pennant Bakery 1925(c) — Map (db m59898) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Pink's Drugs 1933(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Pink's Drugs 1933(c) — Map (db m59890) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Post Office 1925(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Post Office 1925(c) — Map (db m59884) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Safeway Store 1929(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Safeway Store 1929(c) — Map (db m59901) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — 16 — Santa Ana Army Air Base Site — Memorial Garden — Established 1954
The Air Base was one of the largest of its kind in the nation. It was activated in February of 1942. Pilots trained here for Europe and the Pacific during World War II. — Map (db m58598) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — TeWinkle Hardware 1922(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa TeWinkle Hardware 1922(c) — Map (db m59887) HM
California (Orange County), Costa Mesa — Wayside Market 1920(c)
Costa Mesa Historical Site Costa Mesa Wayside Market 1920(c) — Map (db m59885) HM
California (Orange County), Dana Point — 189 — Dana Point
Named for Richard Henry Dana, author of "Two Years Before the Mast", who visited here in 1835. El Embarcadero, the cove below, was used by hide vessels trading with Mission San Juan Capistrano. This trade reached its peak in 1830-1840. In 1818 pirate Hipolito Bouchard, flying an Argentine flag, anchored his fleet here while raiding the mission. — Map (db m50346) HM
California (Orange County), Dana Point — Don Hansen, Dana Wharf Sportfishing — 40th Anniversary 1971-2011
In dedication to Don Hansen and Dana Wharf Sportfishing, the first business operating out of Dana Point Harbor. Dana Wharf Sportfishing originated Whale Watching for Orange County and founded the Dana Point Festival of Whales and Dana Point Boat Parade of Lights. Don Hansen has been a great example of strong business leadership in Dana Point Harbor, and is appreciated for his dedication and service to the Harbor community over the past 40 years. Dana Wharf Sportfishing - May 1971 — Map (db m60798) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 22 — "All Saints Anglican Church"
Around the turn of the 20th Century, Tom Talbert donated land and 40% toward erecting the "Country Church of Talbert". The land was later deeded to the Methodist Church. — Map (db m59490) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 3 — Blacksmith Shops
In 1898 John Corbett opened a blacksmith shop here. It was later purchased by Charles Archer. Two other shops were located nearby. — Map (db m59054) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 21 — Buddhist Church
Built in 1935 and dedicated in 1936. First Buddhist Church in Orange County. In 1954 the Church was moved to Stanton then moved to present location in Anaheim in 1965. — Map (db m59057) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 18 — Callens Home
Rene and Virginie Callens came here in 1910. He developed and farmed 60 acres. Present home of son Joseph R. Callens and family. — Map (db m59757) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 6 — Colonia Jaurez
Established in 1923 with six streets on lots sized 50 by 300. A complete community with stores, recreation facilities, and churches. (Holy Family Mission still exists). — Map (db m59056) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 30 — Courreges Ranch
Homesite of Roch and Magdalena Mogari Courreges. Roch, a Basque sheep rancher, farmer and businessman, came to the area n 1878 and purchased "the Bluff" in 1896. He was a founder of the First National Bank of Huntington Beach, the Smeltzer Telephone Company, and the Farmer's Cannery. — Map (db m50014) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 25, 1 — First City Hall / First School
First City Hall In the early 1960's a new Elementary School was built and the old school was used as City Hall from 1962-1964. The old school was built in 1920 First School The first school was started in Sycamore Hall during the early 1900's. Replaced by new building in 1920 which served as City Hall from 1962 until 1964. — Map (db m62269) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 26 — Fountain Valley Drive-In
Opened on July 12, 1967 and was part of the Pacific Theater Group. The Nations largest Drive-In and it contained the only fountains in town. Demolished in 1984 — Map (db m59759) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 20 — Gisler Home
Robert and Anna Gisler came here in 1903. On 220 acres, he started a dairy herd, cleared the land, and then farmed it. A home was built near here in 1912. — Map (db m59758) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 27 — Helicopter Landing Pad
Navy purchased the land in 1943. Fixed wing planes used the airstrip into the 1950's. In 1952 Marine Helicopter pilots practiced take-offs and landings at this site up through the Vietnam era. — Map (db m59761) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 7 — Helm Tract
The Helm Tract was recorded and laid out in 1923. Four streets ran north and south while Helm Street was the east - west connection. — Map (db m59738) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 23 — Horse Ranch
The property was purchased by Lena and George Titus from an unknown person in 1918. It was later sold in 1945 to people that raised horses. Thus the name "Horse Ranch". — Map (db m62273) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 15 — Ishii Home
Kyutaro Ishii, Japanese settler, came here in 1905 and by 1910 was farming 40 acres. Returned to Japan in 1912 to marry Sada. They built a home here in 1913. — Map (db m59742) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 13 — Joint Outfall System
Created in 1923 to serve sanitation needs of Western Orange County. Reorganized into Sanitation Districts in 1954. — Map (db m62272) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 12 — Nimocks Home
Mrs. Martha A. Nimocks built a large home here in 1934. She owned 184 acres south of the home. — Map (db m62298) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 2, 4 & 16 — Original Circus Site / First Post Office / Country Stores
Original Circus Site The Escalante Circus placed its tent here for its annual performance. The circus parade started here, moved east to Ward, north to Warner, west to Wintersberg (now in Huntington Beach) and returned. First Post Office In 1899 a Post Office was established in Fountain Valley in the Country Store. Renamed Talbert due to duplication. Combined with Santa Ana in 1907. Redesignated Fountain Valley in 1957. Country Stores Between 1896 and 1898 a country . . . — Map (db m59053) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 28 — Rancho Lucero
In 1944, Frank and Dolores Lucero purchased 40 acres at this intersection. They previously farmed in Seal Beach. Dolores didn't want to leave the house so it was moved to this location while Dolores and a few kids were inside. — Map (db m59554) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — School Bell
In 1900, the Wardlow Family donated one acre of farm land for a school located on this site. This bell is from the first school in Fountain Valley. — Map (db m59739) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 17 — Section Houses
Used by Pacific Electric Railroad for track maintenance workers and their families. Equipment and supplies located nearby Freight house located across Talbert Avenue — Map (db m59488) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 19 — Talbert Drainage District
Local landowners gave Sam Talbert the job of draining "Gospel Swamp." He built a river levee, and dredged huge ditches on the east side of all major roads that ran south to the ocean. — Map (db m59489) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 10 — Talbert Home
Sam and Hattie Talbert came here in 1897. He built a river levee and huge ditches so that the land would drain to permit regular farming. — Map (db m59740) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 8 — The Bluff
Site of home of Roch and Magdalena Courreges who came here in 1878. He farmed 80 acres of bluff and lower land. Present Home of grandson, Joe and his Family. — Map (db m59058) HM
California (Orange County), Fountain Valley — 9, 24 — Wardlow Home / Red Car
Wardlow Home Bruce and Martha Wardlow came here in 1896. He farmed 300 acres and was very prominent in local affairs. Red Car The Santa Ana/Huntington Beach Pacific Electric Spur Line began transporting people in 1909. In 1922 the line closed for passenger service and the lines were torn out in 1930. The Red Car ran along Bushard. — Map (db m59492) HM
California (Orange County), Fullerton — 19 — Fullerton College
Offering its first courses on September 25, 1913 to 28 students, Fullerton College is the oldest community college in continuous operation in California. All the college classes were held in the Fullerton High School facilities until 1937 when the first building was completed on the campus. — Map (db m50001) HM
California (Orange County), Garden Grove — 13 — Stanley House Museum — Built 1891
This two-acre site is dedicated to preserving a visible link to early Garden Grove. Edward G. Ware settled here in 1876 becoming a prominent rancher. His daughter L. Agnes Ware Stanley, was an early school teacher. Deeded in 1970 to the Garden Grove Historical Society by the Stanley Family. — Map (db m49992) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — 126 Main Street — Historic Site of the Standard Market
A stylish two story Zigzag Moderne market was built and operated in 1926 by Roy de Britton and his son Bob. The open air market contained a meat market, produce counters and the rainbow lunch counter, a popular meeting place. Night time protection was provided by front iron scissor gates. As early as 1926, a market was operated on the site by J.W. McIntosh along with the Harris Homemade Candy Store, run by Joe Harris. — Map (db m51965) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — 36 — Auditorium and Tower
This 1926 structure is an excellent example of Lombard Romanesque Revival architecture. The school site was donated in 1908 to the five year old Huntington Beach Union High School district by the town developers, the Huntington Beach Company. Designed by Allison and Allison and built during the local oil boom, this landmark building continues to represent the spirit and pride of the community. — Map (db m50021) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — Duke Kahanamoku — August 24, 1890 - January 22, 1968
Duke Kahanamoku, three time Olympic gold medalist swimmer, public servant, goodwill ambassador of the State of Hawaii, and considered by many to be the father of modern surfing. In the early 1920's, the Duke surfed under Huntington's Pier. In his 70's, he returned to Huntington Beach to help promote the U.S. Surfboard Championships. For many years the championships were dedicated in honor of Duke's contributions to the sport of surfing. He will long be remembered for his principles of fair play, good sportsmanship and his gracious aloha spirit. — Map (db m51964) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — 9 — Newland House — Built 1898
Wm. Taylor Newland and Mary Juanita Newland settled in Huntington Beach in 1898. An early civic leader and agricultural developer. Newland was a pioneer in clearing the Santa Ana River lowlands for productive farming. Restored by Huntington Beach Historical Society. — Map (db m50081) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — Scout Cabin — City of Huntington Beach Historical Site
This rustic cabin was erected in 1924 by the Lions Club, local carpenters union and Edison Company as a center for scouting in Huntington Beach and has been in continuous use by Troop 1, Boy Scouts of America, ever since. The cabin was completely renovated by the adults and friends of Troop 1 in 1974, and upon recognition of its historical significance to the community has been designated as a historical site by the City of Huntington Beach and preserved for scouting forever. — Map (db m59874) HM
California (Orange County), Huntington Beach — Site of the S.R. Bowen Buildings — 1920-1989
Three industrial buildings were located at 1980 Lake Street and were operated by Samuel R. Bowen and his partner, Sisti Siracusa, as the S.R. Bowen Company and the Bowen Fishing Tool Company. The S.R. Bowen Company was founded in 1920 and was credited with numerous developments of tools used in oil production in Southern California and worldwide. Some noteworthy tools produced included the Bowen L&L Spear (used to retrieve pipe from oil wells). The S.R. Bowen Company remained in Huntington . . . — Map (db m59873) HM
California (Orange County), Irvine — Jim Olson — In Memory of — 1939 - 2002
This windmill is one of 1,200 such water-pumping devices that once served the Irvine Ranch before modern water systems were available. Jim, a long-time employee of Irvine Ranch Water District, was responsible for dismantling and reconstructing it on numerous occasions as it was moved to various locations to preserve a piece of local history. This windmill will always serve as a fond remembrance of Jim. — Map (db m52247) HM
California (Orange County), Irvine — 1004 — Old Town Irvine
The townsite began in 1887 with the arrival of the AT&SF RR. James Irvine II chose this site to be the shipping center for crops grown on the Irvine Ranch, due to its high elevation. Original buildings remaining include the Bean Shed (1895), Bulk Storage Warehouse (1949), Blacksmith Shop (1912), Garage (1929), Tenant Farmhouse (1897), General Store (1912), and Hotel (1913). The hotel and store were moved from across Sand Canyon Avenue in 1986. — Map (db m50339) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra — 14 — La Habra Pacific Electric Depot — Completed 1909
This structure symbolizes the beginning of a new era of development in the rich La Habra Valley. The La Habra Line was one of the most significant in Southern California progress. Early crops and supplies to the new oil fields could be rapidly transported via the popular "red cars". — Map (db m49994) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra — 21 — La Habra's Birthplace
The first post office, officially naming this settlement "La Habra," was granted in 1896 and was established in a corner of Coys Store, located on this site. El Camino Viejo, the old road between the missions, passed this corner, which became a central trading point in the fertile La Habra Valley. — Map (db m50004) HM
California (Orange County), La Habra — West Coyote Field, The La Habra Research Laboratory
This site is on the northern edge of the West Coyote oil field, one of the largest fields in the Los Angeles Basin. This field produced about 250 million barrels of oil from sandstone at a depth of about 3,000'. West Coyote was active from 1903 to 1996, and it was one of the foundations of the oil industry in Southern California. This field played a significant role in the early history of both the city of La Habra and of Chevron Corporation. On the flat land south of here Chevron operated . . . — Map (db m58909) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Beach — 28 — Fossil Reef
Before you are the white limestone remains of an 18,000,000 year old tropical shell reef. Formed in a shallow bay. It contains fossils of scallops, clams, and tube worms. Mudstones of the same age, found nearby, held fossil whales and shark teeth. Later, as the Santa Ana Mountains rose, the rigid limestone buckled and broke along small faults. We can now see evidence that tropical seas once covered the spot where you stand. — Map (db m50013) HM
California (Orange County), Laguna Beach — 6 — Laguna Beach Art Museum
The Laguna Beach Art Association, started by Edgar Payne, was a natural development of the art colony established about 1900. The first gallery was in Old Town Hall. The permanent gallery, constructed on this site in 1929, houses a collection of early paintings significant to Orange County and California. — Map (db m49985) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forest — 32 — Heritage Hill Historic Park
Vivid reminders of El Toro's past are preserved in Orange County's first historic park. The Serrano Adobe (circa 1883), El Toro Grammar School (1890), St. George's Episcopal Mission (1891), and Harvey Bennett Ranch House (1908) reflect the history of the area from the Rancho Canada de Los Alisos to its development as an agricultural community. — Map (db m50016) HM
California (Orange County), Lake Forest — 199 — The Serrano Adobe
State of California Historic Landmark No. 199 La Casa de Adobe de Jose Serrano Home of Jose Serrano, original grantee of Rancho Canada de los Alisos Restored A.D. 1932 — Map (db m50117) HM
California (Orange County), Los Alamitos — 46 — Los Alamitos Sugar Company and Town's Founding
The first sugar beet processing plant in Orange County was built here in 1897 on land donated by the Bixby Land Company. The industry brought jobs and development that created the new town of Los Alamitos. Although nematode infestation of the sugar beets and changes in the economy forced the plant to close in 1926, the town continued to grow. — Map (db m50041) HM
California (Orange County), Los Alamitos — This Big Saw
This nine-foot band saw is among the largest log saw ever used in the sawmill industry. It weighs over 38,000 pounds and has a blade that stretches over 56 feet in length. This saw was used to cut Douglas Fir and Ponderosa Pine logs up to ten feet in diameter and fifty-six feet in length. The lumber from just one of these giant logs would be enough to build two houses of about 1,500 square feet. The machine was manufactured by the Filer & Stowell Company in 1900 and put into service by the . . . — Map (db m66262) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — 44 — Aliso Creek Adobes
This spring and the sycamore trees mark the area of an adobe house and outbuilding built in the 1840s by Jose Serrano, whose Rancho Canada de los Alisos stretched to the north. Within a short distance were the two adobes of Juan Avila's Rancho Niguel, which extended to the south. The stage road, following the old Spanish "El Camino Real," passed between the two haciendas. This glen was a welcome stop for travelers. — Map (db m50038) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Fossil — Whale Exhibit
The main exhibit displays a fossil right whale skull in profile. It was recovered from the marine siltstone member of the Capistrano Formation (3.5 to 5 million years old) in the 1970's right here in Mission Viejo. It is a fossil skull from the family Balaenidea (Bowhead Whales and Right Whales). The vertebral column on exhibit behind the whale skull although not associated with the skull, was also discovered in the city of Mission Viejo. This fossil, which unearthed by the Mission . . . — Map (db m72036) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Mormon Battalion Marker
Dedicated to the valiant members of the historic Mormon Battalion who stopped here on March 20, 1847, as they marched from San Diego to Los Angeles. A division of the U.S. Army of the West, these brave soldiers, trusting in God, overcame incredible odds and faced unequaled hardships in extending the frontiers of our country to include this land of promise. The 500 loyal men of the Mormon Battalion, recruited from the camps of the Mormon pioneers who had just been driven from the United . . . — Map (db m50351) HM
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Sergeant Matt Davis Park
This park is dedicated in loving memory to Sergeant Matthew Ray Davis. A son, husband, father and hero to those he served in this community. He unselfishly gave his all to help those in need and was a dear friend to all who had the privilege of knowing him. His life was taken His life was taken in the line of duty on September 22, 2002 while in service to the community which he loved so much. May the memory of his life, his unselfish service, and his sacrifice live forever hearts. — Map (db m72143)
California (Orange County), Mission Viejo — Whale Fossil
Originally dedicated on June 4, 1977 by the Mission Viejo Cultural and Heritage Association. The Fossil was unearthed in the southern part of the city in 1976, and is a partial skull of a Baleen whale belonging to the Bowhead or right whale family. Alive over 3.5 to 5 million years ago, this whale would have been over 58 feet long and weighed 50 tons with a skull 9 feet across and 14.5 feet long. This is the only fossil skull of this type on scientifically display in California. — Map (db m72035) HM
California (Orange County), Modjeska Canyon — 205 — Modjeska's Home
Famous as the home of Madame Modjeska, one of the world's great actresses, it was designed by Stanford White in 1888 on property called the Forest of Arden. Sold soon after her retirement, it remains a monument to the woman who contributed immeasurably to the cultural life of Orange County. — Map (db m50303) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 959 — Balboa Pavilion
This is one of California's last surviving examples of the great waterfront recreational pavilions from the turn of the century. Built in 1905 by the Newport Bay Investment Company, it played a prominent role in the development of Newport Beach as a seaside recreation area. In 1906, it became the southern terminus for the Pacific Electric Railway, connecting the beach with downtown Los Angeles. The railway's red cars connected the beach with Los Angeles in only one hour. — Map (db m50338) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 775 — First Water-to-Water Flight
Glen L. Martin flew his own plane, built in Santa Ana, from the waters of the Pacific Ocean at Balboa to Catalina Island, May 10, 1912. This was the first water-to-water flight and the longest and fastest over-water flight to that date. Martin, on his return to the mainland, carried the day's mail from Catalina--another first. — Map (db m50334) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 794 — McFadden (Newport) Wharf
The original wharf at this site was completed in the winter of 1888-89 and was connected by railroad with the hinterland in the winter of 1890-91. It served as a shipping and distributing point for Orange, San Bernardino, and Riverside counties until 1907, and provided the nucleus from which developed the city of Newport Beach. — Map (db m50335) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 198 — Old Landing
On September 10, 1870, Captain Samuel S. Dunnells and William A. Abbott opened Newport Bay to commerce when they entered it for the first time on the Sternwheel steamer Vaquero. The landing was designated "Newport" - a new port - by James Irvine, Benjamin Flint, james McFadden, and Robert McFadden. The McFaddens operated a regular shipping service here during the 1870s and 1880s. — Map (db m50345) HM
California (Orange County), Newport Beach — 35 — Rendezvous Ballroom
Built near this site in 1928, the Rendezvous became a showcase for Big Bands, especially during "Bal Week." For 38 years, the sounds of dance music echoed from this block-long ballroom, which was destroyed by fire in 1966. The music and dancing have ended, but the memories linger on. — Map (db m50019) HM
California (Orange County), North Tustin — Red Hill
In early descriptions it was known as Cerrito De Las Ranas, meaning the Hill of the Frogs. In the 1890s this hill became the scene of mining excitement. Its soil composition, very red in color, had caused early American settlers to name it Red Hill. This landmark is a physical reminder of our rich State and local history. — Map (db m51966) HM
California (Orange County), North Tustin — 203 — Red Hill
A promontory which served as a landmark for early travelers. It was called "Katuktu" by the Indians. — Map (db m52087) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 45 — Grijalva Adobe Site
Juan Pablo Grijalva, a Spanish soldier, came to California with the Anza Expedition in 1776. On this hill he built one of the first adobes in what is now Orange County. In 1801 he petitioned for use of the land that became the Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana. He died in 1806. His son-in-law Jose Antonio Yorba and grandson Juan Pablo Peralta repetitioned and were given use of the rancho in 1810. — Map (db m50040) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 204 — Old Santa Ana
Portola camped on bank of Santa Ana River in 1769. Jose Antonio Yorba, member of expedition, later returned to Rancho Santiago de Santa Ana. El Camino Real crossed river in this vicinity. Place was designated Santa Ana by travelers, and known by that name until present town of Santa Ana was founded. — Map (db m50302) HM
California (Orange County), Orange — 37 — Submerged Dam
This pioneering water project, a model of efficiency and economy, was first built of clay in 1879. After flood damage, it was rebuilt with rock and concrete in 1892. Each dam reached down to bedrock, forcing ground water to the surface where it was diverted for irrigation and domestic uses. Both were built by the Serrano Water Association and the Carpenter Water Company in cooperation with the Jotham Bixby Company. — Map (db m50028) HM
California (Orange County), Placentia — 22 — Bradford House
This is the home of Albert Sumner Bradford, built in 1902 on his Tesoro Rancho. Bradford founded the town of Placentia, helped to bring the railroad, and was president of the Chamber of Commerce from its beginning to his death in 1933. He organized the Placentia National Bank and the Bradford Packinghouse. — Map (db m50005) HM
California (Orange County), Placentia — 34 — Macadamia Tree
These Australian nut-producing trees are the oldest Macadamia tetraphylla in California. They were planted prior to 1890 by a local spiritualist health colony, the Societas Fraternia. Members experimented with many varieties of fruits and nuts to enhance their strict vegetarian diet. The colony remained active until the 1920's. — Map (db m50018) HM
California (Orange County), San Clemente — 562 — La Cristianita
Two miles inland from this point, in Los Cristianitos Valley, the first Christian baptism in Alta California was performed by Padre Francisco Gómez, a member of the Portolá Expedition, in 1769. — Map (db m400) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — "El Adobe de Capistrano"
An historic landmark uniting the "Miguel Yorba Adobe" 1778 "Juzgado" (Court and Jail) 1812 — Map (db m51945) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — "Oliveras Home"
Circa 1890-1900 Restoration 1980 In memory of Delfina Olivares Matriarch of the San Juan Capistrano Historical Society — Map (db m51944) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Blas Aguilar Adobe
May date back to 1794. It was part of two buildings known as Hacienda Aguilar. This adobe is associated with Don Blas Aguilar, the last Alcalde (Mayor) of the Mexican period. — Map (db m51943) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Capistrano Depot
Built in 1894, renovated in 1974-75 as a restaurant. The original Mission style, one of the first stations to use it, was retained. The interior is so small freight and passenger cars were added, and the exterior of the platform enclosed in glass to provide more seating space fot the restaurant. — Map (db m51941) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Combs House
Built in 1878 in Forester City (near San Onofre). Moved to San Juan Capistrano in 1882, it has served as a general store, post office and residence. — Map (db m51936) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Domingo Yorba Adobe
This 1830 structure is typical of San Juan Capistrano adobes of this period; thick walls and a wood shingle roof. The house was purchased by Domingo Oyharzabal in 1880 and occupied by his family for over 100 years. — Map (db m51939) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Egan House
Neo-Victorian, built in 1883 by Richard Egan, surveyor, school trustee and justice of the peace. Rebuilt in 1898 after a fire. Known as "Harmony Hall", it served as Judge Egan's home, office and courtroom until his death in 1923. — Map (db m51940) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Garcia Adobe
Built in the 1840's by Manuel Garcia, it originally had a second story over only half of the ground floor. In 1880 the remaining space was covered by a second floor and a balcony was added. It was a post office in the 1870's, a hotel from 1880 to 1903, and a general store from 1903 to 1918. — Map (db m51938) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Historic Town Center Park / The Mendelson Inn
[Eastern Side] Historic Town Center Park Today the San Juan Capistrano down town and Mission San Juan Capistrano are situated on the site of the Juaneρo village of Acjachema. History explains that in 1769 the first Spanish exploratory expedition, led by Gaspar de Portola, traveled north in California passing about seven miles east of here. A site for the seventh California mission was selected in 1775 and Mission San Juan Capistrano was believed to have been founded three . . . — Map (db m51947) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 23 — Manuel Garcia Adobe
Built in the 1840's by Manuel Garcia, a Portuguese merchant, this is the only surviving Monterey style adobe in Orange County. Owned by the Oyharzabal family since 1880, its uses have included: French Hotel, a general store and the town's first American era post office. — Map (db m50007) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Mission San Juan Capistrano
"Jewel of the Missions" founded on November 1, 1776 by father Junipero Serra, most renown and most beautiful of the California Missions, Quaint little Serra Chapel is California's oldest building still in use. The magnificent ruins of the Great Stone Church are considered the "American Acropolis". — Map (db m51942) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Montanez Adobe
Constructed in 1794 as one of forty adobes built to house mission Indians. Named for Polonia Montanez, a nineteenth century resident. Owned by Mr. and Mrs. Forrest Dunivin. Preserved by San Juan Capistrano Historical Society. Restored in 1981 by City of San Juan Capistrano and County of Orange. — Map (db m51935) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — O'Neill Museum
Built in the 1880's, this Victorian house was one of the town's first wooden buildings. It was moved from its original location across the tracks and about a block south. The building was restored in 1979. — Map (db m51937) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 31 — San Juan Capistrano Jail Cell
This jail cell was built in 1896 to serve as a holding cell for miscreants on their way to County jail. Originally located on the west site of Camino Capistrano at the intersection with Ortega Highway, it was the scene of several jailbreaks and one hanging. — Map (db m50015) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 200 — San Juan Capistrano Mission
Founded in 1776 by Padre Junipero Serra. The seventeenth in the chain of twenty-one missions established in Alta California to Christianize and civilize the Indians. Stone church destroyed in 1812 earthquake. Expropriated during Mexican rule. Returned to Catholic church in 1865 by proclamation of President Abraham Lincoln. — Map (db m50226) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Site of the Valenzuela Adobe
Antonio Valenzuela, early pioneer of the town of San Juan Capistrano, built the adobe in the early 1840s, probably on the ruins of a mission Indian adobe dating to the 1790s. Later Valenzuela family members worked as local cowboys or vaqueros. The adobe was damaged by fire in 1879; rebuilt ca. 1900, some portions endured until the 1960s. This site was also occupied by several thousand years ago by ancestors of the Juaneno (Acagchemen) Indians, as shown by artifacts recovered during 1988 excavations. — Map (db m51934) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — 1 — The Founding Documents of Mission San Juan Capistrano — With a Translation by Monsignor Vincent Lloyd-Russell
Va. Jhs Ma. Jph The Mission of San Juan Capistrano which is about to be established in the valley of the same name or in its vicinity between the Missions of San Diego & San Gabriel of the Earthquakes, about twenty leagues from both & too from the coastline of the South Sea, according to the agreement made between the Captain, Comandante Don Fernando de Riveray Moncada and the Father President of the Missions, Father Junipero Serra, on the thirteenth day of August 1775 by order and . . . — Map (db m54230) HM
California (Orange County), San Juan Capistrano — Welcome to the Los Rios Historic District
The Los Rios Historic District was placed on the National Register of Historic Places April 4, 1983. This District includes 31 historic structures which line both sides of the street from Del Obispo to Mission Street. The District's registered boundaries lie within the locally designated Los Rios Historic Area, a 40-acre planning area which includes homes, "cottage" businesses, a park, and museums, and is one of the oldest neighborhoods in California. The District has many interesting . . . — Map (db m51946) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 837 — Orange County Courthouse
Built in 1900 of Arizona red sandstone, this is the oldest existing county courthouse in Southern California. Significant and far-reaching court decisions were handed down here, including the "Whipstock" case which dealt with slant oil drilling, interpretation of farm labor law, and the Overell trial resulting in law regulating explosives. — Map (db m50526) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 12 — Santa Ana's Birthplace
Here on October 10, 1869, his 40th birthday, William H. Spurgeon climbed a sycamore tree to inspect this mustard covered valley. Impressed, he bought 74.9 acres of the Santiago de Santa Ana, and laid out a townsite between First and Seventh, Spurgeon and Broadway. — Map (db m49991) HM
California (Orange County), Santa Ana — 3 — The Episcopal Church of the Messiah
Santa Ana's oldest assembly on its original site was completed on 1888 and dedicated Easter 1889. Consecrated by Bishop Joseph Johnson October 31, 1887, with Rev. W.B. Burrows, Rector. The building was designed of redwood by Ernest Coxhead with changes made in 1910 and later years. — Map (db m49983) HM
California (Orange County), Seal Beach — 219 — Anaheim Landing
Soon after the founding of the Mother Colony at Anaheim in 1857, Anaheim Landing was established as a port of entry for the Santa Ana Valley by the Anaheim Landing Co. Despite the treacherous entrance conditions which caused several disasters, regular coastwise trade was carried on for about fifteen years. — Map (db m50304) HM
California (Orange County), Seal Beach — 10 — Pacific Electric Red Car
The Pacific Electric Southern District was completed in 1902. In 1903 Philip A. Stanton organized the Bay City Land Co. which developed the townsite of Bay City. "Red Car" service began in 1904 transporting tourists and early residents. The town was incorporated in 1915 and renamed Seal Beach. — Map (db m49989) HM
California (Orange County), Seal Beach — U.S. Submarine Veterans W.W. II — National Memorial West
U.S. Submarine Veterans W.W. II National Memorial West — Map (db m50404) HM
California (Orange County), Silverado — Death of the California Grizzly — 1908
The Santa Ana Mountains, which encompass the canyons of Silverado, Modjeska and Trabuco, provided one of the last refuges for the state symbol, the Grizzly Bear. At the turn of the century, beekeeping was an important local industry, providing not only product but also pollination service for area crops. Starting in 1903, it became evident that the marauding habits of at least one bear were disturbing the hives. With their livelihood threatened, the county game warden, Ed Adkinson, a . . . — Map (db m60329) HM
California (Orange County), Silverado — 202 — Silverado
Located in Canada de la Madera (Timber Canyon), Silverado was a mining boom town founded in 1787 when silver was discovered nearby. During the colorful life of the boom, 1878-1881, miners, flocking to the area, established a thriving community, served daily by stage from Los Angeles and Santa Ana. — Map (db m50344) HM
California (Orange County), Silverado — 1 — Site of Carbondale
In 1881, after the Southern Pacific took over the Santa Clara Coal Mine northeast of here, a bustling mining camp complete with hotel, saloons, shacks, store, and post office sprang up on these flats. Three years later the mine played out and Carbondale disappeared without a trace. — Map (db m50343) HM
California (Orange County), Tustin — 26 — First Advent Christian Church
This church is the oldest in Tustin, having been in continuous service since 1881. The original sanctuary contains pews which came around the Horn from the East Coast by sailing ship. — Map (db m50010) HM
California (Orange County), Tustin — 4 — Hewes Mansion — Built 1881
This 14-room Victorian mansion was built by prominent California pioneer David Hewes (1822-1915). Known as the "Maker of San Francisco," he donated golden spike at Promontory Point and contributed greatly to local civic church, and agricultural development. — Map (db m49984) HM
California (Orange County), Tustin — Loma Hanging Tree
Under this tree General Andres Pico hung two banditos of the Flores Gang in 1857. — Map (db m50022) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — 8 — McCoy-Hare House
This board and batten house, built in 1874 as a drugstore by Dr. James McCoy, first physician of Westminster Colony (founded 1870 by Rev. L.P. Webber), was the home of Marie Larter Hare, local educator, from 1912 to 1984. Restored in 1976 by Westminster Historical Society and City Council as a Bicentennial Community project. — Map (db m59556) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — Midway City Women's Clubhouse
(Circa 1929) Bolsa Avenue and Monroe Midway City, California Midway City Women's Club Organized 1928 - Federated 1935 - Incorporated 1935 Primary purpose: To promote moral, educational, welfare and civic measures. Donated to Westminster Historical Society 1988 Relocated to 8612 Westminster Blvd, Westminster, California — Map (db m59907) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — 24 — Post Brother's Plow
Built by Charles R. Post in 1937 to reclaim farmlands ruined by floods, the Post Brothers' Plow is considered to be the world's largest plow. Measuring 37 ft. long, 12 ft. high, and 11 ft. wide, with a blade of 86 in. it was pulled by five 100 drawbar h.p. D-8 Caterpillar tractors. — Map (db m50008) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — Warne Family Barn
John H. and Sarah McGarvin Warne Sons: John, Henry and Thomas Built 1915 - S.E. Corner, Bolsa at Bushard Donated to Westminster Historical Society - 1989 Relocated to 8612 Westminster Blvd., Westminster, California — Map (db m59908) HM
California (Orange County), Westminster — Warne Family House
John H. and Sarah McGarvin Warne Sons: John, Henry and Thomas Built 1915 - S.E. Corner, Bolsa at Bushard Dontated to Westminster Historical Society - 1989 Relocated to 8612 Westminster Blvd., Westminster, California — Map (db m59905) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 40 — Irrigation in Orange County
Water from the Santa Ana River was largely responsible for the transformation of this arid valley into productive agricultural land. Irrigation companies in Orange County were in operation as early as the 1860s. The two largest were the Santa Ana Valley Irrigation Company and the Anaheim Union Water Company, operating into the 1970s. This headgate was used by the SAVI to divert water from canal to orchard. — Map (db m59529) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 1015 — Richard Nixon Birthplace — "I was born in a house my father built." — President Richard Nixon (1913-1994)
In 1912 Frank and Hannah Nixon built this modest farmhouse on their small citrus ranch. Here Richard Nixon was born, January 9, 1913, and spent his first nine years. He served his country as Congressman, U.S. Senator, Vice President, and 37th President of the United States (1969-1974). He was the first native-born Californian to hold the presidency. President Nixon achieved significant advances in international diplomacy by ending U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War, opening lines of . . . — Map (db m50342) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 226 — Site of Don Bernardo Yorba Hacienda
On this land, portion of Santa Ana grant awarded by King of Spain 1810 to Jose Antonio Yorba, and additional grants to his son by Governor Jose Figueroa 1834, was created Hacienda of Don Bernardo Yorba. Greatest ranchero of golden age, Bernardo Yorga was third son of Jose Yorba, who came to California with Don Gaspar de Portola 1769, and established California's first family. — Map (db m50305) HM
California (Orange County), Yorba Linda — 25 — Yorba Cemetery
In 1858, Don Bernardo Yorba, son of one of the first land grantees in Southern California and major landowner in his own right, set aside this land as a cemetery. For almost a century, members of many early California families were buried here. — Map (db m50009) HM
143 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 196 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.