Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
 
 

Orangeburg County South Carolina Historical Markers

 
Bowman Rosenwald School Marker image, Click for more information
By Anna Inbody, May 22, 2011
Bowman Rosenwald School Marker
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Bowman — 38-34 — Bowman Rosenwald School
(Front):

Bowman Rosenwald School, which stood here from 1927 to 1952, was one of several African-American schools in Orangeburg County funded in part by the Julius Rosenwald Foundation. The school, built in 1926-27 at a cost of $6,000, was a . . . — Map (db m43525) HM

South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Bowman — Bowman S.C.Memorial
James Edward Easterlin Born Apr. 8, 1892 Lost on U.S.S. Cyclops, Mar. 4, 1918. —–— John Wesley Weathers Born Apr. 17, 1895 Lost on U.S.S. Cyclops, Mar. 4, 1918. —–— John Moorer Livingston . . . — Map (db m50537) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Bowman — Bowman War Memorial
(West face) Bowman War Memorial Erected by the town of Bowman and American Legion Post No. 64 (North face) World War II James Edmund Berry Okinawa - May 17, 1945 Thomas Richard Edwards European . . . — Map (db m50541) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Bowman — Captain Richard A Morris
In Memory Of Captain Richard A. Morris Who in crashing his crippled jet plane at this spot February 19, 1965 and in giving his life may have saved the lives of many townspeople of Bowman. Dedicated by Town of . . . — Map (db m50549) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Branchville — Branchville Depot
The first settlement of the town of Branchville was 1735 about one mile southeast of the present town. Almost 100 years later, the present town grew from 170 acres of land purchased from the South Carolina Canal and Railroad Company. It was . . . — Map (db m16536) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Branchville — Orangeburg County
(Left text) Parish House Built in the 1830's it is thought to be the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church activities. Now it . . . — Map (db m16801) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Branchville — 38-3 — South Carolina Canal & Rail Road CompanyOriginal Track Location
Began first successful scheduled steam railroad service in America on December 25, 1830, and by 1833 its 136 miles from Charleston to Hamburg made it the world’s longest railroad. Now part of the Southern Railway System. — Map (db m9985) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Edisto — Orangeburgh and Ninety Six Road
This road, connecting Orangeburgh and Ninety Six, was laid out under provision of an act of the General Assembly of South Carolina Passed April 7, 1770  — Marker placed here by Eutaw Chapter, D.A.R. . . . — Map (db m32358) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Edisto — 38-19 — Zion Church
Evidence indicates it was one of the earliest Methodist churches in the Orangeburg area. The original building, built before the Civil War, was replaced in the 1880s. Appointed ministers replaced circuit riders about 1843. Zion was abandoned . . . — Map (db m8748) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Elloree — Santee~Cemetery
Owned and maintained by First Baptist Church, Elloree, S. C. Perpetual Care established September 18, 1972. Original site of Santee Baptist Church, organized April 19, 1827 with 66 members. Built new church in Elloree in 1887. Name changed from . . . — Map (db m54973) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Elloree — 38-28 — Shiloh A.M.E. Church
(Marker Front) This church, founded in 1886, was organized by Revs. D.A. Christie and C. Heyward with Sol Ellerbe and Galas Culay, Walter Montgomery, and Henry Tilley as stewards. Its first services were in a brush arbor, and its . . . — Map (db m24836) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Elloree — Snider House
This two-story house of heart pine and wooden peg construction was built by William J. Snider, founder of the town of Elloree. This house was moved from Charleston about 1870. This house is the first and oldest residence remaining in . . . — Map (db m25363) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Elloree — 38-32 — Trinity Lutheran Church
(Front text) Trinity Lutheran Church was founded in 1849 by German-Swiss Lutherans who came to Orangeburg District from Charleston. The first church building, was built 2 mi. S on the old Moncks Corner Rd., now S.C. Hwy. 6. By 1800 . . . — Map (db m25426) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutaw Springs — 70000593 — Eutaw Springs Battlefield Park
The National Register of Historic Places South Carolina Department of Archives And History Eutaw Springs Battlefield Park — Map (db m50720) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutawville — Battle of Eutaw
[ D.A.R. Emblem ] This stone marks the field whereon was fought the battle of Eutaw, September 8, 1781, between a force of the United States under Major General Nathanael Greene and a force of Great Britain under Colonel Stuart. Neither . . . — Map (db m21759) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutawville — Battle of Eutaw SpringsVictory in Defeat
(Front text) On the morning of September 8, 1781, General Nathanael Greene's American army attacked Colonel Alexander Stewart's British Force camped at a plantation near Eutaw Springs. Here two almost evenly matched armies slugged it out in . . . — Map (db m21827) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutawville — Battle of Eutaw SpringsA Critical Loss of Discipline
" The rich prize within our grasp was lost "          ~ Colonel Henry Lee Late in the battle, American soldiers pushed forward and found themselves in the British camp. Victory was in sight, but the discipline that had held the American . . . — Map (db m21944) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutawville — Battle of Eutaw SpringsA Determined Defense by a Brave Commander
To Major Marjoribanks and the flank battalion under his command " I think the honour of the day is due."        ~ Colonel Alexander Stewart Major John Marjoribanks ( pronounced "Marshbanks") led a battalion of elete troops that held . . . — Map (db m22057) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutawville — 38-8 — Eutawville
( Front text ) Settled in the 1840s on higher ground in the healthy pines of upper St. John's Parish, the town of Eutawville was founded by Santee River plantation owners as a summer refuge for their families. In 1886 the railroad was . . . — Map (db m22096) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutawville — 38-7 — Grave of Major Majoribanks / Northampton
( Front Text) Grave of Major Majoribanks The British army encamped at Wantoot Plantation, home of Daniel Ravenel, after the Battle of Eutaw Springs. Now under Lake Moultrie, it was about 25 miles southeast in St. John's Parish, 5 . . . — Map (db m22078) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Eutawville — 38-29 — Santee Limestone / Limestone and Marl Formations
marker Front: Santee LimestoneSir Charles Lyell (1797-1875), noted British geologist, visited S.C. in 1842 and described its geology in his Travels in North America..., published in several editions. He named the bedrock . . . — Map (db m21969) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Holly Hill — Holly Hill
The rural 19th Century village began as a sparsely settled community in historic St. James, Goose Creek Parish of the Charleston District. Following the revolutionary War, increased numbers of settlers entered the parish's backcountry where it . . . — Map (db m22505) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Holly Hill — 38-17 — Holly Hill
(Front text) This community had come into existence by 1848 near the Camden fork of the Old State Road. It was chartered in 1887 in Berkeley County, following the coming of the railroad in 1886. The town was annexed to Orangeburg County in . . . — Map (db m22917) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Holly Hill — 38-33 — Target Methodist Church
(Front) This church, founded about 1800, is one of the oldest Methodist congregations in this part of the state. It takes its name from Target Branch, a nearby tributary of Four Holes Swamp. The name “Target” is thought to be a . . . — Map (db m43785) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Holly Hill area — Astrounaut Frank L. Culbertson(Capt. USN)
Highway Interchanges 169 A-B of I-26 and 86 A-B of I-95 Named in Honor of Astrounaut Frank L. Culbertson (Capt. USN) Graduated Holly Hill High School 1967 BS Degree Aerospace Engineering, US Naval Academy 1971 Naval . . . — Map (db m42353) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Jamison — 38-16 — Miller Cemetery
This cemetery was the burial site of the Miller family from the early 1800s. The remaining stones erected in 1836, are to John Miller (1750-1854), soldier of the revolution; his wife, Margaret Ott Miller; and their son, John Miller Jr. Their . . . — Map (db m25184) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), near Perry — Old Indian Trail
Erected By The Jeremiah Jones Chapter Daughters Of The American Revolution North S.C. Emblem: Daughters of the American Revolution Old Indian Trail, near the old homestead of Jeremiah Jones Ninety Six Road. 1770 . . . — Map (db m40395) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Neeses — Neeses
(Front): Neeses was known as Silver Springs from its early settlement until September 29, 1898, when the name was changed to Neeses to honor Mayor John W. Neese who sold a right of way to the South Bound Railroad Co. May 18, 1891. Neese the . . . — Map (db m52371) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), North — Moorefield Memorial Highway(U.S. Route 178)
In Memory Of Charles Henry Moorefield State Highway Engineer of South Carolina 1920 — 1935 — Map (db m46402) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), North — 38-12 — The Town Of North
In the year 1891, John F. North, Samson A. Livingston, and George W. Pou gave jointly and equally one hundred acres of land to establish a town and railway depot. The seperate tracts joined near this spot. The town was named in honor of John F. . . . — Map (db m9190) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-2 — Albergotti Playground
Named in honor of Mr. and Mrs. J.M. Albergotti, Sr. for their sustaining interest in public recreation for children. Their generous financial contribution made possible the establishment of the first city playground near this site. . . . — Map (db m28125) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-14 — Alexander S. Salley(1871-1961)
Here was the birthplace of Alexander Samuel Salley, who devoted fifty years to the collection, preservation, and publication of the historical records of the state as Secretary of the South Carolina Historical Society, Secretary of the South . . . — Map (db m33413) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-15 — Church of the Redeemer
The first Anglican church in Orangeburg Township was established about 1750 by John Giessendanner, and a chapel at Orangeburg was later provided by the Act of 1768 that created St. Matthew's Parish. Following a long dormant period, the . . . — Map (db m26827) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-26 — Claflin College
(Front) Claflin College, founded in 1869 as Claflin University, is the oldest historically black college in S.C. and was established to "advance the cause of education, and maintain a first-class institution ... open to all without distinction . . . — Map (db m47570) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Confederate Flag
We fly this Confederate Flag to honor the Confederate Soldiers who gallantly fought and died defending the bridge crossing at the Edisto River against Gen. Sherman’s troops February 12, 1865. The following are the Confederate troops present at the . . . — Map (db m52267) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-10 — Court House Square
The third court house for Orangeburg County was erected on this site in 1826. It was designed by Robert Mills, who was state architect at that time. This structure was destroyed by Union forces during their occupation of February 12-13, 1865. The . . . — Map (db m27027) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-5 — Defense of Edisto Bridge
Occupying Rifle Pits and manning a small battery in defense of the Edisto River Bridge, at this point less than six hundred Confederates temporarily halted the advance of the right wing of the Federal Army commanded by Gen.W.T. Sherman. On . . . — Map (db m8977) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-22 — Episcopal Church of the Redeemer and Graveyard
(Front) Anglicanism was established in Orangeburg Township about 1750. After a period of no recorded activity, efforts were made to rekindle the Anglican tradition resulting in establishment of Episcopal Church of The Redeemer, circa 1850. . . . — Map (db m47563) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-31 — Great Branch School and Teacherage
(Front text) The Great Branch School, which stood here from 1918 to the early 1960s, was one of the first Rosenwald schools in S.C. A two-room frame school built in 1917-18, it was typical of the rural black schools funded in part by the . . . — Map (db m80046) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-21 — Hawthorne School of Aeronautics
From 1941 to 1945, 5924 American & French pilots were trained here, totaling almost 330,00 flight hours. Site is 1 mi. NW. — Map (db m8794) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-13 — Judge Glover's Home
This house, used as headquarters by General William T. Sherman on February 12, 1865, was built in 1846 by Thomas Worth Glover (1798-1884), Teacher, Lawyer, Legislator, Circuit Judge, and Signer of the Ordinance of Secession. The house has been . . . — Map (db m32359) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-9 — Old Charleston Road
This was the first public road connecting Orangeburg with Charleston and was authorized by an Act of the General Assembly passed March 16, 1737. It was laid out from Izard's Cowpen, about ten miles north of Old Dorchester, and spanned two wide . . . — Map (db m32614) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-4 — Old Dixie Club Library
This antebellum structure once stood on Orangeburg's Public Square. In 1865 it was occupied by Federal troops. From 1924 to 1955 it housed the first public library in Orangeburg County, organized by the Dixie Club, (1896). Given to the Orangeburg . . . — Map (db m26992) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Orangeburg Confederate Memorial
(North face) To the Confederate Dead of Orangeburg District 1861 — 1865 — (East face) Erected by the woman of Orangeburg County 1893 — (South face) A grateful tribute to . . . — Map (db m26470) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Orangeburg County / Discovering Orangeburg
Front Orangeburg County Parish House Built in the 1830s it is thought to be one of the oldest of the plantation summer homes in the area. Acquired by the Church of the Epiphany across the street, it was used for various church . . . — Map (db m52792) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-11 — Pioneer Graveyard
From the time of the first settlement of Orangeburg Township in 1735 until the founding of various denominational cemeteries, this plot of ground was the final resting place for the early inhabitants. The first church in the Orangeburg area was . . . — Map (db m26943) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-25 — South Carolina State University
(Marker Front): S.C. State University was founded in 1896 as the Colored Normal, Industrial, Agricultural & Mechanical College of S.C. with its origins in the Morrill Land Grants Acts of 1862 and 1890 providing for land-grant . . . — Map (db m25252) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-27 — The Orangeburg Massacre
On February 8, 1968, after three nights of escalating racial tension over efforts by S.C. State College students and others to desegregate the All Star Bowling Lanes, 3 students died and 27 others were wounded on this campus. S.C. Highway . . . — Map (db m25299) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — The Two Old Guns Of Captain Henry Felder
The setting was the small village of Orangeburgh. May 11,1781. Cannons roared as a vital sequence of the American-British Revolution took place within the boundries of the Orangeburgh District. The two old cannons before you played a vital . . . — Map (db m27198) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-24 — Trinity United Methodist Church
This African - American church, was established in 1866, built its first sanctuary 4 blocks SE in 1870. Construction began on this sanctuary in 1928 and was completed in 1944. Trinty, headquarters for the Orangeburg Movement during the 1960s, . . . — Map (db m24799) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Veterans Memorial Fountain
This fountain erected as a memorial to those who gave their lives in the service of our country in World War II and the Korean Conflict by City of Orangeburg: S. Clyde Fair, Mayor F.F. Limehouse, Councilman Neil Blackmon, Councilman H.L. . . . — Map (db m52795) WM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — Veterans Memorial Park
Veterans Memorial Park Dedicated to the Veterans of Orangeburg County November 11, 2009 — Map (db m52794) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-18 — White House Church
This four acre tract of land with an earlier structure known as the "White Meeting House" was given to the Methodist Episcopal Church on October 1, 1790, by a deed which is said to be the earliest documented record of Methodism in Orangeburg . . . — Map (db m26731) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Orangeburg — 38-30 — Williams Chapel A.M.E. Church
(Front text) This church was founded in 1873 with Rev. Dave Christie as its first pastor. In 1877 trustees Emily A. Williams, Richard Howard, and Irwin Mintz purchased a small lot here, on what was then Market Street before Glover Street was . . . — Map (db m33586) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Providence — 38-20 — Walnut Grove Church
This Baptist Church, a branch of Four Holes Baptist Church in present Orangesburg County from 1840 to 1869, was admitted to the Charleston Association in 1869 and joined the Orangeburg Association in 1913. The present building was constructed . . . — Map (db m24952) HM
South Carolina (Orangeburg County), Providence Community, Holly Hill — 38-35 — Providence Methodist Church
(Front text) This church grew out of services held in the area by circuit riders as early as 1806. Its first church, a log building, was built on what is now Vance Rd., 1/2 mi. SW. About 1810 Timothy Shuler donated 4 acres here for a frame . . . — Map (db m46946) HM

56 markers matched your search criteria.
Paid Advertisement