HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Passaic County Markers
New Jersey (Passaic County), Bloomingdale — Federal Hill Historic Site
The site of the Revolutionary War era Pompton Mutiny which occurred in the cold harsh winter of 1781. It was in the eastern valley overlooking Bloomingdale that an encampment of weary troops mutinied. Consequently, their two ringleaders were arrested, tried, and executed in the vicinity of what is now known as Union Avenue. — Map (db m12332) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Borough of Woodland Park — Washington’s Lookout~ Great Notch ~
On October 23, 1780, the light infantry was stationed here. The hill on the east side of the Notch was used by Washington as a lookout from which to observe the movement of his troops. — Map (db m40200) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Clifton — Frederick House
The oldest building in Acquackanonk can be found in center of this house, probably constructed in 1705. — Map (db m43109) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Clifton — Morris Canal1824         1924
Morris Canal National Registered Landmark Morris Canal Crossed Here → ← Passaic County — Map (db m40199) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Clifton — The Morris Canal
This waterway, conceived in the 1820's, linked Pennsylvania's coal fields, New Jersey's iron industry and New York's commercial markets. For 100 years it flowed between the Delaware and Hudson Rivers. Gloria J. Kolodziej, Mayor, City of Clifton Florence B. Nibbling, Chairman, Clifton Historical Commission Jack W. Keupfer, Restoration Coordinator This park dedicated May 17, 1987 — Map (db m64208) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Great Notch — Great Notch
Used by Washington as a lookout while quartered at the Dey House, October, 1780. Major Parr’s Rifle Corps. camped in the ravine. — Map (db m39902) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Hawthorne — Hawthorne Korea – Vietnam Monument
May We Learn From Those Who Died For Peace That Life Is Worth Far More Than Most Of Us Take Time To Realize. *   Korea   * Gordon N. Ripatranzone • Russell Van Natta • Peter J. Schuil • Theodore Van Natta • Bernard Van Raay *   Vietnam   * William G. Dutches • Denis L. Simone • Joanne D. Riordan • Raymond A. Renz • Edward Van Buiten • William Anderson • Richard J. Roughgarden • Raymond E. Inlow — Map (db m38474) WM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Hawthorne — Hawthorne World War I Monument
Honor Roll Borough Of Hawthorne 1917 World War 1919 Herbert V. Anderson • Frank M. Ackerson • Oliver W. Alyea • Lambert W. Atsma • David Ardell • Archie Aprile • Pierno Aprile • Clarence M. Berry • John Roy Benjamin • Edward Barlow • Peter Barkenbush • Patrick A. Barwood • Henry J. Barwood • Eugene Barwood • John W. Brush • Charles J. Bounds, Jr. • Henry L. Boer • Garrett Boonstra • Cornelius Brockhuizen • Daniel Bamper • Robert Barton, Jr. • John W. Bush • John B. Brosse • Charles J. . . . — Map (db m32424) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Hawthorne — Hawthorne World War II Monument
They Suffered, Bled, And Gave Their Lives To Preserve Our Freedom. Our Debt Of Gratitude Must Forever Remain In Our Hearts World War II James L. Mastrogiovanni • Alfred W. Bohny • Michael Campanell • Joseph T. Duffy • James Edgar • Allison S. Guelich • Frank Kerr • James McGrath • Henry J. Newby • John F. Pomidor • Samuel Rizzo • Vincent Sheridan • Edward Vogeler • Irving Workhoven • Orrie Hardensveld • Frank P. Boyd • Thomas E. Aufiero • Leo A. Braddell • Stanley Dul • Matthew F. . . . — Map (db m32423) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Hawthorne — Site of John George Ryerson House
Site of the John George Ryerson House Built about 1740 The Light Infantry Corps commanded by Gen’l LaFayette was encamped in this vicinity Oct. – Nov. 1780 -------- Placed 1952 by The Passaic County Park Commission — Map (db m43307) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Little Falls — Little Falls Veterans Monument
[ front ] A Tribute To The Men And Women Of Little Falls Who Gave The Full Measure Of Devotion To Their Country In The World War Killed In Action Henry Buikema Died In The Service Austin Loran James Storey Moon The right is more precious than peace. And we shall fight for the things which we have always carried nearest our hearts. To such a task we can dedicate our lives and our fortunes, everything that we have. With the pride of those . . . — Map (db m32415) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Little Falls — Woods Road
Created 1780 by Revolutionary War troops of General Lafayette, while manning outposts to watch British troop movements. New Jersey Historical Society Donated by Lewis Montesano — Map (db m36149) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Oak Ridge — Oak Ridge World War Monument
In honor of the men of Oak Ridge who went forth at the call of their country to serve in the World War 1917 – 1919 --------------- Ernest Angle George Beatty George Buntzen Charles S. Coursen David Cole Holbart Cole Frank Davenport Eric Disbrow Arthur Henderson   *   Fowler Hoyt Walter Hoyt   *   Henry Knoblick Louis Roome Charles Search Albert Smith Maurice Stickle Samuel Talmadge Gilbert Weaver — Map (db m35066) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — Acquackanonk Bridge
American troops, encamped between the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers, were ordered by Washington, Nov. 21, 1776, to cross the Passaic here. After burning the bridge, they marched across Jersey. The Blanchard House often was used as a headquarters. — Map (db m33516) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — Acquacknonk Bridge
American troops encamped between the Hackensack and Passaic Rivers, were ordered by Washington, Nov. 21, 1776, to cross the Passaic here. After dismantling the bridge, they marched across Jersey. The Tap House often was used as a headquarters. — Map (db m39728) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — Daughters of the American Revolution
To keep in perpetual remembrance the names of the real Daughters of the American Revolution buried here Rachel Benson • Lena Brower • Maria Egbertse • Peggy Garrison •Elizabeth Hoffer • Margaret Kenter • Mary Kinsey • Jane Mead • Annie Montanie • Rachel Simmons • Sarah Simmons • Lea Sip • Charity Speer • Susanna Speer • Antje Stymes • Catherine VanRiper • Maria VanRiper • Maretje VanRiper • Elizabeth Vreeland — Map (db m36164) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — General John J. Pershing
Erected by Passaic City Post No. 504 V.F.W. To honor General John J. Pershing who stood here May 30, 1924 to review and address the World War veterans Dedicated November 11, 1938 — Map (db m7044) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — George Washington
[ Side One: ] A tribute of honor to George Washington and his army, and a memorial to the spirit that founded and preserved the Republic. [ Side Two: ] Washington Unique in character Blameless in private life and public office Champion of Liberty Friend of man Alone in greatness Honored by the world [ Side Three: ] Erected May 20, 1901 by the pupils of the Passaic Public Schools with the generous assistance of their friends. [ Side Four: ] On the day of the erection of this . . . — Map (db m33530) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — Henry Garritse
This tablet marks the grave of Henry Garritse who died July 13, 1805, aged 84. A revolutionary patriot, member of the Committee of Correspondence, Provincial Congress, and first member of the legislature from Acquackanonk. Claverack Chapter D.A.R. September 17, 1934 — Map (db m36155) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — Nassau Hall Academy
This stone marks the site of the old district school of Acquackanonk dating from 1693 to 1870 also known as Nassau Hall Academy (then two stories in height) where boys prepared for Princeton College many of them becoming well known ministers, lawyers, judges and educators Erected by pupils of Passaic’s Public Schools September 1926 — Map (db m36161) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — Post Grave Monument
These two tombstones stood at the heads of the graves about 75 feet northwest of this spot. The bolt and shaft bearing were taken from the old gristmill at John Halmagh Post’s birthplace, Sloughter Dam, now 472 River Road, Garfield, New Jersey. Elizabeth Ackerman was born at Polifly, now Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey. --------------- Preserved by the Passaic County Historical Society November 1953 Map (db m36152) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — Soldiers and Sailors Monument
In memory of the Minute Men of 1776 and the soldiers and sailors of the Revolutionary War and especially of Captain John H. Post who lies buried here and whose destruction of Acquacknonk Bridge saved General Washington’s army from capture in its retirement from Fort Lee to this spot on November 21, 1776. [ Back of Monument: ] In Memoriam The soldiers and sailors of the Civil War for the preservation of the Union and of the other wars of our country who lie buried in this park which was . . . — Map (db m36151) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — The Blanchard House
Washington’s Headquarters Nov. 21, 1776 was situated about one hundred feet west of this tablet. The entrance to the old Revolutionary Bridge was nearly opposite this spot. Reset by the Acquackanock Landing Chapter D.A.R. 1930 — Map (db m7045) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — The Land Upon Which We Pray
This property granted for church purposes by the Lord Proprietors of East Jersey 294 years ago, in the year 1682. Provision was made in the grant for a triangle or “gore” for the church. The first church building, “Old First” Dutch Reformed Church, was erected in 1683. August of 1902 became the property of Sts. Peter and Paul Independent Polish Catholic Church. George Washington and Continental Army encamped here the evening of November 21, 1776. For nearly three . . . — Map (db m36162) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — Washington Tree
Under the parent of this tree Washington first took command of the American Army July 3rd 1775. Planted by the Aquackanonk Landing Chapter D.A.R. 1932 — Map (db m33534) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Passaic — William Alexander – Lord Stirling1725 - 1783
To Honor William Alexander – Lord Stirling 1725 – 1783 American Patriot – Friend of Washington Lord Stirling crossed Acquackanonk Bridge with eight regiments of New Jersey Militia, November 14, 1776. Set up headquarters at Blanchard House opposite the bridge as Commander of the Guards. Quartered here 1776 – 1779. Commanded New Jersey troops at Battle of Trenton, December 26, 1776. Brigades encamped at Valley Forge, Penn. December 31, 1777. Northern Division . . . — Map (db m33521) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — “Lou’s On First”
     Lou Costello 1906     *     1959 — Map (db m49865) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — “The Dublin Spring Water Boy”
This monument was sculpted by Gaetano Federici in 1931. It was originally located at the southwest corner of Mill Street and Oliver Street to commemorate the Dublin Spring used by the Irish-American community during the 1800’s. It was moved to it’s present location in 1991 during the reconstruction of Oliver St. — Map (db m43157) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Abraham Godwin
In memory of Abraham Godwin Pioneer of Paterson • Patriot • Soldier Captain of Marines in The War of the Revolution Born November 23, 1724 Died in the service of his country February 7, 1777 Buried at Fishkill New York Placed by the Captain Abraham Godwin Chapter Sons of the American Revolution Paterson New Jersey 1925 — Map (db m33139) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Captain Eric M. Graupe
Always on guard that no infringement on thr rights of veterans be commited, he has earned for himself the title of Mister Veteran of the City of Paterson, N.J. Dedicated Nov. 8, 1964 by the Paterson Veteran's Council. Harry B. Haines, Hon. Chm. • Ralph Pabian, Gen Chm. • Dominick F. Cielo, Pres. • Louis F. DeBiaso, Tres. • Micahel Batelli, Vice Chm. • Phillip M. D'Argento, Secy. • Ralph Gambatese, Liason — Map (db m20017) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Christopher Columbus Monument
Columbus This memorial pioneers in initiating and symbolizing a national movement for the Americanization of Columbus Day in the United States. Thousands of Patersonians of all racial origins by their voluntary contributions made possible this truly American tribute to the discoverer of the New World. — Map (db m49871) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Curie
In Memoriam Charles Curie 1842   -----   1910 A model citizen A patriotic soldier A loyal friend A good man and -----   true   ----- A tribute from the citizens of Paterson • 1913 — Map (db m33325) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Federici Park
Named in honor of Gaetano Federici, 1880 – 1964, Paterson’s famous Italian-American sculptor. He was able to capture the hearts and spirit of our city and its people in his world famous works. The moving of his Christopher Columbus statue to this site for all to enjoy is made possible by the Italian Circle of Paterson, Inc.           October 12, 1985 — Map (db m49872) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Great Falls Hydroelectric StationDedicated June 29, 1987
Developed in response to the need to increase our national energy supplies and lessen our dependence on imported oil. With deep appreciation for the cooperation and commitment of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and the U.S. Department of Energy The Honorable Frank X. Graves, Jr. Mayor - the City of Paterson The Honorable Roy P. Griffin President - Paterson City Council Council Members: [names not clear] — Map (db m64188) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Great Falls of Paterson on the Passaic
has been designated a Registered Natural Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in illustrating the natural history of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1967 — Map (db m43143) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Great Falls of the Passaic/S.U.M. Historic District
has been designated a National Historic Landmark This site possesses national significance in commemorating the history of the United States of America. 1976 National Park Service United States Department of the Interior — Map (db m43144) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Great Falls Raceway and Power SystemNational Historic Civil and Mechanical Engineering Landmark
Alexander Hamilton, with great vision, prompted the incorporation of the "society for establishing usefull [sic] manufactures" in 1791 to start America's economic and industrial independence. Pierre Charles L'Enfant, engineer and planner of the nation's capital, and Peter Colt designed a raceway and power system to harness the Passaic River at Great Falls and create America's first planned industrial city. That development sparked countless engineering and industrial innovations and progress . . . — Map (db m64189) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Harry B. Haines Memorial Park
Dedicated to the long time editor and publisher of the Morning/Evening News Harry B. Haines (1882 – 1972) who fought successfully to bring historic recognition to Paterson’s Great Falls as the Cradle of Industrialization in the Western Hemisphere.--------------- Dedicated by Hon. Lawrence F. Kramer   –   Mayor Paterson City Council Frank X. Graves, Jr.   –   Council President Irene D. Marcantonio       Raymond Cassetta Nicholas DeLuccia III       Marian Rauschenbach . . . — Map (db m43384) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Ivanhoe Wheelhouse
          This wheelhouse was built in 1865 to provide power for the Ivanhoe Paper Mill complex. The building housed in 87” Boyden turbine waterwheel capable of providing 200 horsepower.           The above photo from the early 1900’s shows the wheelhouse on the left and the huge iron flume that carried water over the spillway basin to strike the turbine. — Map (db m43147) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Ivanhoe Wheelhouse(c. 1840)
This is the only remaining Ivanhoe Paper Company building of the ten that once occupied this site. The rear portion was added in 1865 to house a water-powered turbine engine. — Map (db m64196) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — John P. Holland’s First Submarine
was launched in 1878, a one man craft with engine which after a series of trials was sunk in the Passaic River at this spot where she lay buried until raised in 1927 by a group of Paterson youths who presented her to the City of Paterson     October 1, 1927. This tablet is placed in the year 1932 by the Passaic County Board of Chosen Freeholders in co-operation with The Passaic County Historical Society — Map (db m49864) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Overlook ParkDedication:   April 18, 1964
Honorable Frank X. Graves, Jr. Mayor of Paterson --------------- Honorable Gordon Canfield Chairman, Mayor’s Citizen Committee Our salute to the memory of Alexander Hamilton whose vision and energy made Paterson the first industrial city in America, and to his creation of the S.U.M. which made this very ground the cradle of industry. To this gallant statesman and to the working men and women who helped forge this great nation out of the wilderness, we are ever grateful. Gift to the people . . . — Map (db m43148) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Passaic County Soldiers and Sailors Monument
To commemorate the services and record the names of her soldiers and sailors who gave their lives in the War for the Union. [ Left of Monument: ] Honor the Brave The War of 1861-1865 was waged successfully for the preservation of the Union as a nation, one and indivisible, now and for all time. [ Right of Monument: ] “With malice toward none, with charity for all, with firmness in the right, as God gives us to see the right, let us strive on to finish the work we are in: to . . . — Map (db m33447) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Passaic Falls
Alexander Hamilton envisioned the great potential power of these scenic falls for industrial development. — Map (db m20018) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Pulaski
In grateful memory of the American Revolutionary Hero and Patriot Brigadier – General Kazimierz Pulaski in the one hundred and fiftieth anniversary of his death on the battlefield This monument was erected by the Americans of Polish Descent of Paterson, N.J.   1929 [ Lower Marker ] In solemn salute to brave men of World War Two who won immortal glory through their unselfish sacrifice. ---------- Tadeusz Bukowski • Leonard Dudek • Frank Dyda • John Fryga • Peter Jasienowski • Walter . . . — Map (db m33144) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Rogers Millwright Shop
The Rogers Millwright Shop was built in 1869, partly with materials from its predecessor on the site, the Passaic Paper Mill. Millwright Shop built and maintained the machinery used in locomotive production. Originally built as almost a duplicate of the erecting shop, it took on its present appearance after a fire in 1879. The photo shows it as it was nearing completion in 1869. — Map (db m64193) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Rogers Works
Thomas Rogers, one of the most celebrated builders of railroad locomotives, built a plant on this site in 1832 — Map (db m60354) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Senator Frank R. Lautenberg Transportation Opportunity Center
This building was originally constructed in 1881 as the Frame Fitting Shop of the Rogers Locomotive Works. The Rogers Locomotive Works was one of America’s premier locomotive manufacturers in the latter half of the 19th Century and a dominant force in Paterson’s role as a leading center of commerce and industry. This building was rehabilitated as the Senator Frank R. Lautenberg Transportation Opportunity Center and rededicated in 2003. In naming this building in honor of Senator Frank R. . . . — Map (db m43151) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Simeon Van Winkles1686 - 1775
De Witte Huis (1715 – 1828) and Ford Paterson’s First Tanner This tablet marks the site of the last British raid into this area on May 18, 1779. Placed by the Capt. Abraham Goodwin Chapter, New Jersey Society, Sons of the American Revolution on it’s fortieth anniversary 1961 — Map (db m33128) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — Site of the Passaic Paper Mill Flume
The site now occupied by the Rogers Millwright Shop was once the home of Passaic Paper Mill. In this 1860's photo (looking north) the remains of the paper mill are on the extreme right. It was a stone mill built in 1837, and housed part of the Ivanhoe Paper Mill complex until 1857. In the center of the photo are the truncated remains of the wooden flume that once channeled water to the mill. — Map (db m64195) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — The 1914 S.U.M. Great Falls Power Plant
The Great Falls Power Plant has been generating electricity for nearly 100 years. The plant produces electricity from the energy of falling water. When the plant opened in 1914, its primary purpose was to supply electric power to Paterson’s mills. Today, the refurbished plant distributes electricity to homes and businesses throughout the region. The plant is capable of producing enough power to supply the daily needs of 11,000 homes. The S.U.M. Above the door of the power plant are the . . . — Map (db m43177) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — The Allied Textile Printing Site
The Allied Textile Printing (ATP) Site is a 7.5 acre portion of the Great Falls of Paterson/S.U.M. Historic District. Toward the end of the eighteenth century, the newly established United States sought to increase its economic as well as political independence from Europe. In 1791, Alexander Hamilton and other men of influence chartered a company, the Society for Establishing Useful Manufactures (S.U.M.), for that purpose. Their strategy included harnessing the natural power of the Great . . . — Map (db m43191) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — The Allied Textile Printing Site
The Allied Texile Printing (ATP) Site is a 7.5 acre portion of the Great Falls of Paterson/S.U.M. Historic District. Toward the end of the eighteenth century, the newly established United States sought to increase its economic as well as political independence from Europe. In 1791, Alexander Hamilton and other men of influence chartered a company, the Society for Establishing Useful Manfactures (S.U.M.), for that purpose. Their strategy including harnessing the natural power of the Great Falls . . . — Map (db m44078) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Paterson — The York Road
Traveled by General George Washington and the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War from the Dey Mansion at Preskness to the Acquackanonk Landing on Passaic River July   -   October   -   November •   1780  • Placed by the Captain Abraham Goodwin Chapter Sons of the American Revolution   -   Lafayette Centennial   May 1934 Map (db m33126) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Pompton Lakes — Bartholf HomesteadCirca 1700
Revolutionary Quarters American Officers Tablet by Museum Dept. Pompton Lakes Woman’s Club July 4, 1963 — Map (db m62859) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Pompton Lakes — Battleship Maine
Here where in March 1782 stood Washington’s Headquarters Federal Rock Council No. 164 Jr. O. U. A. M. have placed this relic of the Battleship Maine in memory of their fellow countrymen who lost their lives in Havana Harbor Feby. 15, 1898 ‘Amor Patriae Duxit’ 1914 — Map (db m40545) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Pompton Lakes — Pompton Lakes Train StationBuilt 1927
Replaced the original train station which was situated on the north side of the tracks. The New York, Susquehanna and Western lines which passed through Pompton Lakes came from Jersey City and went to Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania and Middletown, New York. Converted to commercial use in 1966. Constructed of rubblestone with concrete trim and a hipped green tiled roof. The train station is one of the best examples of craftsman style in the borough. Declared a local historical landmark   2004 — Map (db m40538) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Pompton Lakes — Pompton Lakes World War I Memorial1917             1919
In honor of the men who served in the Army or Navy of the United States of America in the World War — Map (db m40546) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Pompton Lakes — Pompton Lakes World War II & Korean War Memorial
Dedicated to the men and women of the Borough of Pompton Lakes who devotedly served their country in World War II and the Korean War — Map (db m40548) WM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Pompton Lakes — The Bartholf Homestead
Used as a campsite during the Revolution. Captain Crynes Bartholf of the Bergen Militia led a unit called “Bartholf’s Rangers”. Original structure built 1697 on land deeded to the Bartholf family by the English Crown. Center section constructed 1837. Declared a Local Historic Landmark 1999. — Map (db m62884) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Pompton Lakes — Washington’s Headquarters
Since Pompton was on the main route North, the Conti- nental army camped here often. Washington quartered at the Schuyler House, July 12, 1777, and visited Col- onel Van Cortlandt here, March 28, 1782. — Map (db m41535) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Ringwood — Ringwood Manor
has been designated a Registered National Historic Landmark Under the provisions of the Historic Sites Act of August 21, 1935 this site possesses exceptional value in commemorating and illustrating the history of the United States U.S. Department of the Interior National Park Service 1966 — Map (db m40542) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Ringwood — Ringwood Manor Forges
Here, during the Revolution, were made cannon and shot for the Continental Army. Washington and Greene were quartered at the Manor home of Robert Erskine, Geographer of the Army. Here began the march of 3,000 soldiers to Yorktown. — Map (db m40528) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Ringwood — Ringwood Manor Iron ComplexNational Historical Mechanical Engineering Landmark
Ringwood Manor Iron Complex (1740-1931) was an important element in the early development of the iron industry in the United States. Among its leaders were the Ogdens, Peter Hasenclever, Robert Erskine – F.R.S., Martin Ryerson, Peter Cooper, and Abram S. Hewitt, who became important figures in American industrial history. The iron mines, furnaces, forges, and stamping mills of the complex supplied many of the needs of the American Revolutionary Army. — Map (db m40551) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Ringwood — Robert Erskine“The Forgotten General”
Born   1735   in Scotland Died   1780   at Ringwood Friend in need for Washington Geographer and Surveyer General for the American Army in the Revolutionary War A true and faithful Christian patriot Erected by the New Jersey Society of the S.A.R. 1952 — Map (db m43139) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Ringwood — Robert Erskine F.R.S.
In memory of Robert Erskine F.R.S. Geographer and Surveyer for the Army of The United States Son of the Revd Ralph Erskine Late Minister at Dunjermine in Scotland Born September 7th, 1735 Died October 2nd, 1780 Aged 45 Years and 25 Days — Map (db m43140) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Totowa — American Encampment~ Totowa Heights ~
October 9 – November 27, 1780, the patriot army extend- ed along this site which had also been used in July. Washington came from his headquarters in Preakness to Totowa and visited the Van Houtens. — Map (db m39730) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Totowa — Purple Heart MemorialCombat Wounded Veterans
Dedicated to all men and women who are recipients of this nation’s oldest military decoration “The Purple Heart” My stone is red for the blood they shed. The medal I bear is my country’s way to show they care. If I could be seen by all mankind maybe peace will come in my lifetime. Erected by Military Order of the Purple Heart Chapter #366 ( Back of Monument : ) The following have made this memorial possible . . . Mlitary Order of the Purple Heart Chapter #366 . . . — Map (db m62742) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Colonel Theunis Dey
The Mansion of Colonel Theunis Dey The Headquarters of General Washington July ~ Oct ~ Nov ~ 1780 Acquired and restored 1930-1934 by The Passaic County Park Commission Marked by Capt. Abraham Godwin Chapter New Jersey Society S.A.R.       Oct 8, 1934 — Map (db m39733) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Demarest House
This house, which once served as a Dutch Reformed Church Parsonage, was built by John Ryerson before 1762. It was sold to the Demarests around 1814. — Map (db m21817) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Dey Mansion
Home of Col. Theunis Dey, built about 1740. Twice used by Washington as headquarters in 1780, when the army was in Totowa. — Map (db m7700) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Encampments #3 & #14
Site of Revolutionary War Encampments #3 & #14 1780 — Map (db m21814) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Headquarters of General George Washington
This brick Georgian mansion was built by Colonel Theunis Dey in 1742. It was used as headquarters by General George Washington from July 1 to July 29, 1780 and again from October 8 to November 27, 1780 because of its strategic position and accessibility to food and forage. — Map (db m7701) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Kipp – Nellis Farm
This land was part of the Kipp – Nellis Farm Settled in 1723 by Cornelius and Eva Berdan Kipp. The farm served the Preakness Valley area for 250 years. The farmhouse, located across Nellis Drive, was built circa 1840 by Nicholas and Sophia Berry Kipp. The Kipp family cemetery is located across Valley Road. Jacob and Ella Louise Ostrum Nellis bought the farm from Isaac Blaine in 1903. The high school, town hall, and library are now located on the Nellis Farm. Descendants of Joseph & . . . — Map (db m62874) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Morris Canal1824       1924
Morris Canal National Registered Landmark Feeder Canal crossed here → ← Passaic County — Map (db m62879) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Morris Canal1824       1924
National Registered Landmark Feeder Canal crossed here → ← Passaic County — Map (db m65945) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Samuel Van Saun House
Headquarters • Nov. • 1780 of Maj. Gen. Lafayette Placed by The William Paterson Chapter D.A.R. 1931 — Map (db m62858) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Schuyler – Colfax
This house is an example of 18th century architecture. The Schuyler and Colfax families were prominent in shaping New Jersey history. — Map (db m7703) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Schuyler Colfax House
This house, which is Wayne’s oldest, was built in 1695 by Ardent Schuyler, one of the leaders of the original settlement. William Colfax, who married Hester Schuyler in 1783, gave the house the Colfax name. — Map (db m7704) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Van Saun House
This old Dutch home was built in 1769 by Samuel Van Saun. In 1780 it served as headquarters of Major General Marquis de Lafayette and his troops. — Map (db m7702) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Washington Headquarters~ Preakness ~
July 1 – 29, and October 9 - November 27, 1780, Washing- ton had headquarters here at the house of Colonel Theunis Dey. The main army encamp- ed along Totowa Heights. — Map (db m39732) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Washington Headquarters — Preakness
July 1-29, and October 9 – November 27, 1780, Washington had headquarters here at the house of Colonel Theunis Dey. The main army encamped along Totowa Heights. — Map (db m39903) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Wayne — Wayne Township1847           1997
Indian peoples inhabited this land from about 10,500 B.C. up to the early historic period. At the time of the European Settlement, they were referred to as the Munsee Delawares. In 1694 Arent Schuyler, on a fact finding mission to the Indians in the Upper Delaware Valley, passed through and admired the beauty of the Pompton River Valley area. In 1695 a syndicate of eight, including Schuyler, purchased the Indian rights to this valley from the natives and the land rights from the East Jersey . . . — Map (db m62873) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — Clinton Ironworks
The furnace is all that remains of the 19th century ironmaking community that was established by William Jackson in 1826. Representative of New Jersey’s early iron industry, the furnace utilized locally available resources to supply iron for the region. Under multiple owners, iron was produced in the furnace from 1833 to 1837, and later from a nearby forge until it ceased operation in 1852. — Map (db m35062) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — Hasenclever Iron Trail
Welcome to the Hasenclever Iron Trail. This yellow blazed trail follows, for the most part, a road built over 230 years ago between the ironworks here at Long Pond and those at Ringwood Manor five miles away. Ironmaster Peter Hasenclever was running operations at both sites. He started building Long Pond in 1766, and it is believed the road you will be following was built shortly thereafter. It was in existence by the 1770s, as it is shown on maps drawn by Robert Erskine. This historic . . . — Map (db m73649) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — Long House Ruins
      Possible Bunkhouse for single male workers, circa mid 1800s. — Map (db m65942) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — Steam Powered Sawmill Remains
Circa early 1900s — Map (db m65943) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — The Company StorePost Office, Hewitt, New Jersey
      The company store was a center of village life for over 160 years, containing not only a wide assortment of merchandise, but also the post office and company bookkeeper’s office.       Purchases at the store were deducted from workers’ wages.       The store moved to the Greenwood Lake Turnpike in 1929, where Ye Olde Country Store operated until 1955. — Map (db m65910) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — The First Furnace
      The stone foundation before you is all that remains of the original iron furnace at Long Pond Ironworks. Built in 1766 by Peter Hasenclever, it was 25 feet tall and could produce 25 tons of iron a week. During the Revolutionary War, iron from this furnace was used to make equipment for the Colonial Army. The low stone walls at the left and right are foundations for the furnace’s casting and wheelhouse, respectively. — Map (db m65913) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — The Long Pond IronworksHistoric Village of Hewitt
Founded in 1766 by Peter Hasenclever, the Long Pond Ironworks was run by a succession of famous ironmasters, including Robert Erskine, Martin J. Ryerson and Abraham S. Hewitt. The Long Pond furnace, forge and supporting village contributed to the war efforts during the American Revolution, The War of 1812 and the Civil War. As at many other iron-producing sites in the Highlands, the furnace operation in the Long Pond ended in the 1880’s when the iron industry’s western migration was complete. . . . — Map (db m23106) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — The Ringwood Furnaces at Hewitt
      The outbreak of the Civil War awakened the industrial power of the Northern States. The Cooper & Hewitt Iron Company built the “Gun Metal Furnace” on the Wanaque River in 1862 to supply iron for the manufacture of rifles and other ordnance for the Union Army. A second furnace was completed by 1863. Though later converted to burning coal, these furnaces closed in 1882.       Abram S. Hewitt directed production. The Hewitt’s summer home at Ringwood Manor was headquarters to all of Long Pond’s ironmasters. — Map (db m65912) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — Water Power
      In 1882, these waterwheels, the last of many at Long Pond Ironworks, were constructed to harness the power of the Wanaque River, the only natural drainage from Long Pond (Greenwood Lake). The water was carried from the waterfall upriver to the tops of waterwheels via canals and aqueducts. The turning wheels, which could generate 200 horsepower, operated huge piston engines that blasted air into the furnace fire, raising the temperature high enough to smelt iron from ore. — Map (db m65938) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — Water Wheel Pit1873
      Abandoned project to replace two lower water wheels with one water wheel twice their size. — Map (db m65940) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Milford — Weighing Scale Remains
      Mainly for weighing incoming iron ore and outgoing iron pigs.       Circa mid 1800s — Map (db m65911) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), West Paterson — Washington’s Lookout
This area used by Washington as a lookout while quartered at the Dey Mansion. October 1780 Major Parr’s Rifle Corps camped in ravine. Claverack Chapter NSDAR Clifton, NJ Sept 28, 2008 — Map (db m21815) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Woodland Park — Martin Luther King, Jr.
On September 11, 1966, Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. visited this site, the home of Rev. Dr. and Mrs. Deual Rice, after speaking at the celebration of Dr. Rice's retirement as Pastor of Union Baptist Church in Montclair. — Map (db m78037) HM
New Jersey (Passaic County), Woodland Park — Watchung Ridge
Running from Mahwah to Bound Brook, the Watchung Ridge served as a natural barrier to protect George Washington and his troops. "The Bulwark that Saved a Nation" helped to keep the American supply lines open. — Map (db m77779) HM
97 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 211 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.