HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
            “Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
  Home  — My Markers  — Add A Marker  — Marker Series  — Links & Books  — Forum  — About Us
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 
Show DirectionsOmit Marker TextClick to map all markers shown on this page.
Patrick County Markers
Virginia (Patrick County), Ararat — Laurel Hill ó The Birthplace of James Ewell Brown Stuart
Laurel Hill, the 1,500-acre farm of Archibald and Elizabeth Letcher Pannill Stuart, was the birthplace of their seventh child, James Ewell Brown Stuart, at 11 a.m. on February 6, 1833. The house burned to the ground during the winter of 1847-48. "Jeb" Stuart attended Emory and Henry College in southwestern Virginia (1848-50) and the United States Military Academy at West Point, New York (1850-54). After serving as an officer in the U.S. cavalry in Texas and Kansas (1854-61), and assisting . . . — Map (db m54713) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Ararat — Z-260 — Patrick County / North Carolina
North Carolina North Carolina was one of the original thirteen states. The first settlement was made on Roanoke Island, 1585, but was not permanent. Settlers from Virginia occupied the Albemarle region before 1663, in which year the colony of Carolina was founded. —————————————— Patrick County Area 485 Square Miles Formed in 1790 from Henry, and named for Patrick Henry, who thus had two . . . — Map (db m54712) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Ararat — KG-2 — Stuart's Birthplace
To the west stood Laurel Hill (built about 1830), where Confederate Maj. Gen. James Ewell Brown "Jeb" Stuart was born on 6 Feb. 1833 to Archibald Stuart, a lawyer and politician, and Elizabeth Letcher Pannill Stuart. The house burned in the winter of 1847-1848. After graduation from the U.S. Military Academy at West Point in 1854, Stuart served as a U.S. Army officer until May 1861 when he joined the Confederate army. In 1862, he became cavalry commander of the Army of Northern Virginia, and . . . — Map (db m54710) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Claudville — Z-262 — Patrick County Virginia / North Carolina
Patrick County, Virginia. Area 485 Square Miles. Formed in 1790 from Henry, and named for Patrick Henry, who thus had two counted named for him. General J.E.B. Stuart was born in this county. North Carolina. North Carolina was one of the original thirteen states. The first settlement was made on Roanoke Island, 1585, but was not permanent. Settles from Virginia occupied the Albemarle Region before 1663, in which year the colony of North Carolina was founded. — Map (db m65786) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Critz — HD-1 — Colonel Abram Penn ó 1743–1801
200 yards south is “Poplar Grove,” Pennís old home and burial place. At age 21 he “won his spurs” leading a company under General Lewis at Point Pleasant. During 1780–81 he organized the first Revolutionary troops from Henry and adjoining counties, and led his regiment to aid General Greene in the battles of Guilford Court House and Eutaw Springs. He helped organize Patrick County. — Map (db m65815) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Critz — U 34 — Reynolds Homestead
Four miles to the north is Rock Spring Plantation, the boyhood home of industrialist R. J. Reynolds. The land was settled in 1814 by Abram Reynolds and his wife Mary Harbour. About 1843 their son Hardin William Reynolds built the present brick house for his bride Nancy Jane Cox. The couple had 16 children, including Richard Joshua Reynolds, who founded R.J. Reynolds Tobacco Company. In 1970 the house was restored by Hardin's granddaughter, Nancy Susan Reynolds. — Map (db m22412) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Critz — The Reynolds Homestead
Built by Hardin Reynolds just prior to his marriage in 1843, the house that became known as Rock Spring Plantation, faces the historic Norfolk to Bristol Turnpike. Nearby was the log dwelling of his father, Abram Reynolds, who purchased 50 acres of land and settled here in 1814. Hardin and his wife, Nancy Jane Cox, had 16 children including Richard Joshua Reynolds, founder of R. J. Reynolds Tobacco Company and A. D. Reynolds whose son, Richard Samuel Reynolds, founded the . . . — Map (db m72851) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Dodson — AS-1 — Fairy Stone State Park
Roanoke newspaper publisher Junius B. Fishburn donated the land to create Fairy Stone State Park. It is named for the cross-shaped crystals found in the region, which according to legend were formed from the tears of fairies. The National Park Service and the Civilian Conservation Corps, in conjunction with the Virginia Conservation Comission, developed the park. Construction began in 1933 and the park was opened on 15 June 1936. It was one of the first six state parks opened in Virginia, . . . — Map (db m65852) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Peters Creek — U-36 — William Byrdís Survey of 1728
This was the westernmost point of the survey of the Virginia-North Carolina border run in 1728 by a joint commission from both colonies led by Col. William Byrd II of Westover. The exact end of the line was marked on October 26, 1728, by a blazed Red Oak tree on the east bank of Peterís Creek. — Map (db m65542) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Stuart — U-30 — Stuart
This place, first known as Taylorsville for George Taylor, early settler, was established in 1792 after the formation of Patrick County. In 1849 it contained about fifty dwellings. The name was changed to Stuart for General J. E. B. Stuart, C. S. A., who was born in the county. The courthouse was built in 1852 and remodeled in 1928. — Map (db m65807) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Vesta — Rural Life In Appalachia
Down this path you will find buildings, farm implements and other displays that document rural life in Appalachia over a period of about 100 years. Most were restored and arranged here during the 1940s and 1950s. These displays illustrate aspects of mountain life that were colorful but not unique to Appalachia. If you grew up in other areas of rural America, you may recognize some of the things you encounter. — Map (db m11083) HM
Virginia (Patrick County), Woolwine — U-28 — Blue Ridge Mission School
The Blue Ridge Mission School was established by the Virginia Baptist General Convention in 1916 at the site just to the southeast. It provided general education and religious training, on both the elementary and secondary school level, to day and boarding students. Its program was increasingly coordinated with, and in 1941 superseded by, that of the newly-developed public school system. — Map (db m65849) HM
12 markers matched your search criteria.
Click to map all markers shown on this page.
Click First to browse through the results shown on this page.   First >> 


•••
More Search Options
 
Markers
Near You

 
Categories

 
States & Provinces

 
Counties
Click to List


 
Countries

Page composed
in 500 ms.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
To search within this page, hold down the Ctrl key and press F.
On an Apple computer,
hold down the Apple key and press F.